Place Names of South Australia - A
Aaron Creek - Admella Dunes and Flats
- Aaron Creek
- Abbots Track
- Abbot(t) Flat
- Aberfoyle Park
- Acacias, The
- Accommodation Hill
- Ackland Gardens
- Acraman Creek
- Adams, Hundred of
- Adare Heights
- Addison, Hundred of
- Aden Point
- Admella Dunes and Flats
Runs through section 34, Hundred of Waitpinga. Aaron Bennett, who arrived in the Indian in 1849 aged forty. He owned section 111 in the same Hundred which he sold to James Collins for £28/10/0 in January 1857.
The reminiscences of Aaron Bennett's son are in the Register,
2 December 1920, page 10h:
In December 1920, Mr. W. Bennett of Delamere, the second son of Aaron Bennett, celebrated his diamond wedding. He came to South Australia with his parents in the barque Indian in 1849 following which his father was employed as a wheelwright by Mr. J.G. Coulls in Blyth Street. Within a few years he had accumulated sufficient funds to purchase land in southern Fleurieu Peninsula and it was there he started mixed farming. The family travelled from Adelaide in a bullock dray over rough 1tracks and the journey occupied a fortnight. There were no improvements on the place of any kind - neither house, fencing or cleared land.
The first work was to build a house, which was of slabs, with thatch roof and earth floor, calico windows and contained three rooms in which the family lived for a number of years. The next job confronting them was to clear the land which was thickly timbered. It was long and expensive work and to clear 20 acres a year was considered to be an achievement. However, they had their reward when the land produced heavy crops that were hand-reaped. The wheat was threshed out by bullock power and cleansed by the wind as there were no winnowers or threshers in those far off days, while the nearest post office and store was at Yankalilla, 15 miles away.
As the population increased at Delamere the settlers clubbed together and built a Methodist Church; a Sunday school opened and Mr. Bennett became one of the first scholars. Later, the day school was built.
A French word for 'slaughter house'; the name of the railway station was changed to 'Pooraka' in December 1940.
The first Arbor Day at the school is reported in the Chronicle,
3 June 1916, page 30; Also see South Australia - Education - Arbor Days
the opening of a public school is reported in the Register,
18 October 1924, page 10e; also see
23 August 1924, page 48b.
Photographs of the meat works are in the Observer,
9 December 1905, page 29,
25 February 1911, page 31,
17 February 1912, page 32,
19 July 1913, pages 30-31,
22 December 1928, page 38,
31 August 1933, page 39.
Also see Adelaide - Public Health - Slaughterhouses.
"A Town in the Making" is in the Register,
13 May 1911, page 8,
"A Growing Township" on
19 October 1911, page 5h.
When the metropolitan abattoir was established in the second decade of the 20th century it was considered that it would be 'the making of Gepps Cross' - 'already the transformation of this comparatively insignificant township is becoming apparent.' The contract for the building was let to Messrs Wadey & Co. of Melbourne and amounted to £106,000 and spoil from the excavations was used to fill up low lying land in the direction of the Cavan Arms Hotel. The initial work at Gepps Cross consisted of surveying the 486 acres and taking levels for water, drainage, building and railway purposes and the Gepps Cross railway station was built adjacent to the slaughter house.
The problem of water supply was solved effectively by the sinking of three bores which yielded upwards of 7,000 gallons per hour. The water was excellent for stock, irrigation and washing-down purposes, but unsuitable for boilers or domestic purposes. To meet this need a new steel main was laid down from the Barossa. The land not required for the buildings was farmed and thatched stacks of hay testified to the success of those operations.
When completed the cattle yards were capable of holding 2,000 head of cattle and 50,000 sheep which was nearly double existing facilities in Adelaide. Sixteen working men's cottages were constructed on the Gawler road north of the abattoirs and there were three villas and a manager's residence on the southern side.
22 February 1911, page 18,
22 January 1913, page 3,
9 and 16 July 1913, pages 5 and 15,
1 July 1914, page 15,
9 June 1915, page 3,
21 July 1915, page 15.
A photograph of a football team is in The Critic,
5 August 1914, page 3.
An obituary of William H. Willshire is in the Register,
2 September 1925, page 8i.
A railway station 8 km south of Georgetown; the name was adopted on 15 May 1922 from a town in France at the suggestion of a local resident, J.A. Lyons, who was hospitalised there during World War I. Until then its post office was called 'Broadview'; it closed on 1 February 1948. The school opened in 1920 as 'Myrtle Bank' on section 125, becoming 'Killarney' in 1921 and closed as 'Abbeville' in 1937.
Biographical details of J.A. Lyons, MP, are in the Register,
17 March 1926, page 9e.
On section 149, Hundred of Goolwa. Giles Abbott, (sic) who held land at Freemans Nob. He arrived in the Buffalo, aged thirty. His obituary is in the Observer, 6 January 1866, page 7h.
It is mentioned in Parliamentary Paper 16/1859 where it is shown as "Abbott's Track".
Giles Abbott's obituary is in the Register,
2 January 1866, page 2h.
"The Abbott Family" is in the Register,
29 December 1914, page 4g.
Abbot(t) FlatInformatiom from Mr Geoffrey Chard of Cannonsvale, Queensland, states that Geoffrey Bishop in Stringybark to Orchards mentions the name. Further, his records show that members of his ancestral family were born at "Abbott's Flat, nr. Lobethal and Tiers nr. Lobethal" over the period 1869-1873. Their residence was located on Section 5144 about midway between Forest Range and Lobethal. He concludes with the suggestion that "Abbott" may have been a shepherd who worked for an early landholder.
AbbotsfordThe Observer of 20 July 1878 at page 1f advertises this subdivision of 30 acres in sections 407-8 "north of the railway line" at Jamestown.
It was the name of Sir Walter Scott's home on the River Tweed in Scotland and is still in the possession of his descendants.
On the west bank of the Burra Creek opposite Redruth adjacent to the Bon Accord mine; a subdivision of section 4, Hundred of Kooringa by Robert A.A. Morehead and Matthew Young in 1849, when they advertised 'lots in this rising township to be let on lease...'
A sale of allotments in the township is reported in the Register,
19 September 1849, page 2b:
The sale of the township of Aberdeen, Burra Burra, announced to take place on Saturday, September 15, attracted a great number of persons. The minerals being reserved, prevented the Burra company from attempting to monopolise the place, as they pretty well did the township of Redruth, sold on the 29th August. The number of lots offered for sale was 144, but the eloquence of the auctioneer could not dispose of more than about 20. The impression among intending purchasers was that the prices required were much too high. The proprietors, doubtless, had in their minds the high prices that the Redruth allotments were sold for, but in that township no reservation of mineral's existed, consequently the Burra proprietors bid against all those who were likely to purchase for building purposes. There is no doubt that had the prices been moderate the entire of the township would readily have found purchasers and have been speedily covered with buildings.
A graphic description of a mail coach trip from Pekina to Aberdeen is in the Register, 18 October 1870, page 6d:
We left Pekina at 3.45 p.m. on Tuesday, September 6 by McDonald & Hoskin's coach, carrying, besides Her Majesty's mails, nine passengers, exclusive of the driver and guard. The first stage was accomplished without anything to mar the enjoyment of a drive of some 18 miles over what is known as the Pekina Plains; but as evening set in the sky appeared overcast, heavy clouds hung about the ranges of hills on either side, the lightning became more vivid, and the peals of thunder, which were at first scarcely perceptible, increased with such vehemence that we no longer entertained any doubt of an approaching storm. Looking southward the "windows of heaven" had already opened, and at a considerable distance ahead the rain appeared to be falling in dense masses.
At 6.16 p.m. we changed horses, and had not proceeded more than two or three miles when our predictions were verified. The ground on either side of the track was covered with water to the depth of from 6 to 30 inches, and varying in width from 1 to 800 yards... The ground was saturated to such a depth as to make it terrible work for the horses, whose steaming sides and panting breath told too plainly the severe work they had to do. On, however, they went, the driver keeping them as near the track as possible. The rain fell faster and faster, the coach rolled, the passengers held on...
Six or seven miles of such travelling, with occasional plunges through a creek or watercourse, when the horses got their backs washed, and we are on comparatively dry land. The rain has now ceased, the clouds are dispersing, another fresh team, and at 9.30 p.m. we reach Canowie. A cheerful fire, a supper... and we again proceed - this time on foot, for the road has been partially fenced just after leaving Canowie, and is so contrived that a heavily-laden coach is more likely to come to grief than not. However, the skilful driver manages to turn a sharp angle on a sideling, and, sliding down a steep hill without any accident, picks up his passengers, who have been trying the depth of mud and water.
The weather is again changing, the clouds blacker and heavier than ever, the rain drops full, thick, and fast, and the moon struggles in vain to show us our way... Another half-hour and we come to a standstill. "Gentlemen, it's no use", says the driver, "we shall knock up the horses. I'll carry you on my back to that fence, and you must try and get on the high ground." Some of us submit ourselves to the sturdy back of the coachman, while others wade through the water, and pick out the hardest of the mud to walk on...
We are on what is known as the Booborowie Flat, and the flood is perceptible some miles ahead, and where we are standing a mile in width. The horses, now relieved of part of their load, are again moving... Presently we hear a plunge, and turning to look, we see the horses struggling to get the coach out of a hole. They succeed, but not till the water has found its way over the footboard... A little further, and the light of Booborowie Dining-hall is seen at a distance of some three miles. The guard blows his horn, the horses plunge forward, apparently conscious that they are approaching the end of their stage, when the driver again stops them to "wind" and we all listen to the strange noise some 50 yards on our right.
"Do you hear that?", exclaimed guard and driver in one breath; and we do hear it, and are informed there is the head of the Broughton, and within a short distance of us 15 feet of water; the depth where we are is some four feet, and the flood is rushing through the wheels like a sluice... the lighthouse at Booborowie becomes visible and we step out into a foot of water, and thus ends another stage at 2 a.m. Some coffee and a change of horses, and we make a fresh start now in total darkness... on we go through holes and creeks, across swamps and morasses, now uphill and again down an incline. The night, or morning, is as black as the grave... The guard alights and is instantly lost in the fog. Some minutes of suspense, and then a loud "cooey"... More dashing and rolling [and] we reach Copperhouse - for the last two hours and a half rain, merciless and pitiless, blackness and darkness.
We have still two miles or more, and it must be done. Again we push on, and in ten minutes have turned the corner of a fence. Once more we hear the sound of many waters, broken only by the sharp crack of the driver's whip. We sit with bated breath, waiting for the finale. The water deepens, now it is up to the horses' backs; a telegraph post within a foot of the wheels tells us we are near the road, and also near a smash. A few more plunges and a dim light in the distance. We breathe again more freely, and by the time we feel secure and are rousing the landlord of the Aberdeen Hotel - at 5 a.m.
And so it came to pass we reached our destination. No bones were broke, nor was anyone drowned, although if either of these contingencies had happened none need have felt surprised. The wonder is why it was not so.
13 May 1871, pages 7c-13g.
A proposed corporation is reported upon in the Register,
29 July 1875, page 5a.
Also see South Australia - Miscellany - Local Government.
The destruction of the hotel by fire is reported in the Register,
16 and 18 October 1879, pages 5c and 7a.
Information on a local cricket club is in the Register,
30 April 1881, page 5e.
3 September 1881, page 18e.
Also see South Australia -Sport - Cricket - Miscellany.
Biographical details of Henry Dawson, long-time resident and mail contractor, are in the Register,
18 July 1881 (supp.), page 2b.
The golden wedding of Mr & Mrs James Tiver is reported in the Register,
13 February 1908, page 4h;
his obituary is in the Register, 13 March 1909, page 4h,
Observer, 20 March 1909, page 40d.
Biographical details of Mrs Emma Tiver are in the Register,
9 February 1926, page 8g.
A photograph of a Field Dog Trial committee is in the Observer,
10 August 1912, page 30.
Aberdeen - Obituaries
An obituary of W.R. Ridgway is in the Observer,
29 September 1906, page 38c,
of Joseph Williams on 27 May 1911, page 39a,
of Edward Gare on 9 September 1911, page 34b,
of William Lock on 17 August 1912, page 41a,
of Henry Pinch on 22 April 1916, page 19b,
of Sampson Montgomery on 21 September 1918, page 44c
(also see Register, 16 February 1917, page 4h, 20 February 1918, page 6f),
of H.H. Thomas on 15 March 1919, page 31b.
An obituary of William Thomas is in the Register, 12 May 1923, page 8h,
of Mrs W.J. Thomas on 11 March 1926, page 8f,
of Mrs Emma P. Tiver on 23 July 1926, page 10f,
of T.F. Robertson on 21 June 1928, page 15f.
The majority of the land now included in this Adelaide suburb, the boundaries of which were proclaimed on 10 July 1980, was first owned by Christian Sauerbier in the 1850s. He was born in Germany in 1814 and later settled in Scotland from whence he emigrated to New South Wales, arriving in South Australia in the Dorset, in 1845. Christian Sauerbier died on 21 October 1893 and he devised the majority of his property to his son, John Christian Sauerbier who, on 1 September 1917, changed his name to John Chris Aberfoyle; he died in 1923 aged 67 and the suburb was laid out in 1924 by James Henry Browne.
Aberfoyle is a locality name in the County of Perth, Scotland and was possibly the domicile of Christian Sauerbier. In 1481 the name Aberfoyle was rendered abirfull - 'influence of the streams'.
The sale of 'Aberfoyle Estate', the assigned estate of J.H. Browne, comprising 994 acres, was advertised for sale in July 1926:
- For many years occupied by the late Mr Chris Aberfoyle... The residence is of massive construction, encircled by wide verandahs and occupying an elevated site...
An obituary of John Chris Aberfoyle is in the Register,
23 March 1923, page 8h,
31 March 1923, page 35c.
The name given to a mansion at Marryatville purchased by Sir Edwin Smith in 1878 from Dr J.M. Gunson (1825-1884). He died in 1914 and in 1920 his executors subdivided the land comprising section 290, Hundred of Adelaide; now included in Heathpool.
A dinner given in honour of a visiting English cricket team is reported in the Observer,
6 April 1895, page 9b,
26 March 1898, page 15d.
Also see South Australia - Sport - Cricket - Miscellany.
A social gathering at "The Acacias" is reported in the Chronicle,
11 May 1895, page 7a and
a photograph of the house on
18 December 1897, page 5 (supplement); also see
2 June 1900, page 22,
24 October 1903, page 16;
Chronicle, 17 October 1903, page 42,
29 October 1904, page 24.
A photograph of a garden fete is in the Observer,
30 November 1915, page 29.
22 November 1916, page 14.
Photographs of the funeral of Sir Edwin Smith are in The Critic,
7 January 1920, page 17.
"Sale of Famous House" is in the Register,
16 and 22 April 1920, pages 6e and 4c.
"Loreto Convent, Marryatville" is in the Chronicle,
10 February 1923, page 44d.
Historical information is in the Observer,
21 April 1923, page 40d.
It lies about 15 km east of Truro; no record can be found which indicates with any certainty when this name was applied to the hill but it appears that by 1851 the word 'accommodation' was used in connection with this area, as a letter from Corporal Crocker, Royal Sappers and Miners, a surveyor, to Captain Freeling, Surveyor-General on 3 February 1851 says: '... about two miles north of the accommodation yard on the Moorundie road'. A Lands Department plan of 1851 shows 'Accommodation Yard' marked on a water reserve on a creek about half a mile south of the main Truro-Blanchetown road at the foot of the hill.
This yard was used as a resting place for teams making the journey from Blanchetown to Truro, a distance of thirty-two miles, while the adjoining area was known as the 'Dustholes' for, in October 1855, a survey of section 5 has the note 'known as Dustholes'; land grants in this locality were issued in 1855 to 'Lachlan McBean of Dustholes'. He had held adjacent land under occupation licence from 6 March 1845 'Between Hills and Scrub'.
Parliamentary Paper 88/1862 has a map showing the precise location of the accommodation yard.
Also see Dustholes.
William Dinwoodie Ackland-Horman and Elizabeth Mina Ackland-Horman, the owners of the land when it was subdivided in 1927 (part sections 57 and 58, Hundred of Adelaide ).
Of interest is a report of an unnamed subdivision of "61 building sites at Edwardstown, held under instructions from Mr T.H. Ackland...".
14 July 1919, page 4d.
Acraman CreekJohn Acraman's obituary is in the Register,
24 June 1907, page 5a.
Adams, Hundred of
In the County of Hanson, proclaimed on 12 December 1895. Henry Adams, MLC (1894-1902). Born at Tungkillo in 1851 he first worked as a pattern maker at the Moonta Mines. He became president of the Trades and Labour Council and honorary secretary of the Australian Labor Party. He died in June 1926.
Also see South Australia - Politics.
Biographical details of Henry Adams are in the Chronicle,
19 May 1894, page 7a,
26 June 1896, page 1,
26 April 1902,
5 September 1903, page 4a.
An obituary is in the Chronicle,
12 June 1926, page 56a.
Part sections 20-21, Hundred of Goolwa were subdivided in 1925 by Martha Earle Cudmore whose address was 'Adare', Victor Harbor, a mansion built by she and her husband in 1893; now included in Victor Harbor. The site originally belonged to Governor Hindmarsh and the first building thereon was erected in the 1860s by his son, John, who at the time was living at Port Elliot, when he was described as 'barrister-at-law'. It was purchased in 1889 by D.H. Cudmore who made large extensions to the house; the entrance gate used to bear the inscription 'Mootaparinga'. Mrs Cudmore lived there until her death in 1938. Mr D.H. Cudmore's obituary is in the Observer, 20 December 1913, page 41a.
The home is described in the Register,
7 September 1893, page 5d.
A photograph of a garden party at "Adare" is in the Chronicle,
13 January 1906, page 30.
Mrs D.H. Cudmore's obituary is in the Register,
15 December 1913, page 8a.
"A Visit to Adare" is in the Observer,
10 May 1924, page 60a:
A Visit to Adare - A Bird's Paradise - By Captain S.A. White
The gates of Adare were entered. Oh! What a change! The sheltered influence and sweet scent of the forest trees were at once, and the many voices of our glorious Australian birds came from every side... Down at the end of the garden near the river bank a great babble of birds came from the bright flowering Western Australian gum trees of several varieties which were in full bloom... One could easily see that this charming spot was part of a sanctuary for birds, not only by the drinking vessels placed in suitable places about in the garden, but by the great numbers and confiding numbers of our most beautiful avifauna....
That night retiring to bed, I threw up the window and looked out upon the moonlit scene. The heavy artillery of the heavens was in action over the land, lightning flashed, followed by the deep reports which rolled seaward. A glimmer of light marked where the restless old ocean flung itself against the granite bound coast, just as it did when the Lindsay's and other colonists came first to that locality. Above all these came a clear call 'more nork' every 30 seconds, for a boobook owl was over on Mount Breckan hillside among the peppermint gums... I did not hear a mate reply, but no doubt it was not far off...
Making my way up a hill at the back of the house, I was delighted to see the splendid regeneration of sheaoaks and many native shrubs. It is wonderful how quickly in many localities our indigenous flora makes its appearance if stock be fenced off... My heartfelt thanks go out to the bird friends at Adare...
Addison, Hundred of
In the County of Robinson, proclaimed on 27 January 1910. A.R. Addison, MLC (1888-1915). As a young man he was employed by the River Murray Navigation Company, National Bank and Bank of South Australia and for a time was the Port Elliot manager of the latter. Later, he engaged in milling at Middleton and Orroroo. An obituary is in the Register, 30 and 31 July 1915, pages 9c and 16g:
- His constituents showed their appreciation of his ability as a parliamentarian by renewing their confidence in him upon each occasion he asked for their votes. As a politician he was an unassuming gentleman. He sought not the limelight of office, but carefully watched the interests of his district and the State.
Also see South Australia - Politics.
A complimentary dinner accorded Mr Addison at Port Elliot is reported in the Chronicle,
1 November 1879, page 3e (supp.).
Biographical information on Mr Addison is in the Observer,
12 June 1897, page 16d;
"Mr Addison's Resignation" in the Chronicle,
30 October 1897, page 26c; also see
25 January 1902, page 5a;
an obituary is in the Register,
30 and 31 July 1915, pages 9c and 16g.
Aden PointSee Uden Point.
Admella Dunes and FlatsAlso see South Australia - Maritime Affairs.
An editorial concerning the wreck is in the Register,
9 August 1859, page 2a,
17 September 1859, page 4e.
A collection of manuscripts relative to the wreck of the Admella off Cape Northumberland in 1859 was presented to the Public Library Board by Mr. R.T. Silvester, of Portland, for preservation purposes. The wreck forms one of the most sensational episodes in South Australian history and the story of the heroic rescue of the survivors after a week of terrible suffering will never lose its interest.
The Admella, a small steamer of 360 tons, had been plying regularly between Port Adelaide and Melbourne for about a year when, on 5 August 1859, she left Port Adelaide for what was to be her last trip with 113 souls on board. At four o'clock next morning, when the vessel was approaching Cape Northumberland, the captain believed himself to be about thirteen miles from land. In reality, however, the ship was close to a dangerous reef, an error of reckoning having risen either from a derangement of the compass or, more probably, from a current which carried the vessel shorebirds.
Suddenly she grated on a reef and, heeling over, lay broadside on to the heavy seas. An effort was made to lower the boats, but two of them were smashed and the third broke adrift. In less than fifteen minutes the Admella broke into three parts and several passengers were washed overboard. At dawn the mainland could be seen about a mile and a half away, but no habitations of any kind wee visible and those on the wreck turned their eyes to seawards for assistance.
At 8 am the Havilah, a sister ship, steamed by but her passengers, though visible from the Admella, failed to observe the signals of distress improvised by those on the wreck. Two men attempted to gain the shore on pieces of timber, but they were carried out to sea by a current. On the second day the sea was calmer and two seamen, John Leach and Robert Knapman, succeeded in reaching the shore with the assistance of a raft. For a time they lay exhausted on the beach and, after quenching their thirst at a marsh, they hurried to Cape Northumberland.
The lighthouse keeper rode to Mount Gambier and a telegraph message was sent to Adelaide, following which a rescue party was dispatched in the Corio from Port Adelaide; she arrived at the scene of the tragedy on Thursday. By that time the poor creatures, who had clung to the wreck for five days and nights,. were in a pitiable plight. They were tormented by hunger and thirst and suffered terribly from the cold, for their spray-drenched limbs grew numb under a biting wind. One by one those on the forecastle, chiefly women and children, had been swept off by the boisterous waves.
A boat's crew dispatched from the Corio found it impossible to approach the wreck owing to heavy seas, but on Friday morning the Lady Bird arrived on the scene bringing the Portland lifeboat and a whaleboat belonging to the Portland Whaling Company following which a rescue attempt proved unsuccessful. Next morning the sea was calmer and an effort was made to effect a rescue in the Admella's lifeboat which had been cast ashore a few days before. Twenty four passengers were saved.
"The Admella Medals" is in the Register,
22 February 1860, page 3c,
6 and 8 September 1860, pages 2e and 2h; also see
29 September 1860, page 1a (supp.),
5 January 1863, page 3d.
An article on a collection of manuscripts relating to the wreck and presented to the Public Library Board is in the Advertiser,
21 April 1926, page 14d.
Recollections of the wreck and rescue attempts are in theAdvertiser,
8 August 1905, page 5f,
19 August 1903, page 6,
3 April 1906, page 6d; also see
5 August 1907, page 7a,
5 October 1908, page 7,
5 August 1909, page 7c and
23 August 1913, page 6f for interviews with survivor,
30 August 1913, page 6g and
12, 21, 23 and 28 January 1922, pages 8c,11a, 2i and 10i,
6 February 1922, page 3c.
A letter from John Germein is reproduced on
19 June 1922, page 5c.