Place Names of South Australia - A
Appleton - Ardrossan
Appears twice on the map of South Australia. Edwin Johns, of Tungkillo Mine, Reedy Creek, applied the name to a subdivision of section 1567, Hundred of Kapunda adjacent to Allen Creek circa 1851, while in 1860 Charles Swinden followed with a subdivision of section 567, Hundred of Alma contiguous to Rhynie
The christening of the town near Rhynie is reported in the Register,
18 June 1859, page 3f:
The ceremony of christening the township came off on 8 June. This beautiful little spot is about 3½ miles west of Riverton on a section belonging to Mr. Charles Swinden. The township is surrounded by some of the finest agricultural land in the colony. A store and post office are much required as the surrounding inhabitants feel the inconvenience of having to go to Riverton for everything they want. A blacksmith could find full employment there.
Archibald, Hundred of
William Archibald, MP (1893-1910). Born in London in June 1850, he came to South Australia from Victoria in 1882, when he worked as a wharf labourer before going to the Islington railway works. He was a foundation member of the United Labor Party and in Parliament was instrumental in piloting through a Bill for free libraries in corporate towns in 1898. He entered Federal Parliament in 1910 and was Minister for Home Affairs in Andrew Fisher's government. He died in 1926 leaving assets valued at £2,399 and is buried at West Terrace Cemetery; see Register, 29 June 1926, page 11g. His aspirates were 'always a confusion' and one observer remarked:
He slaughters the English language with pitiless ferocity every time he talks. By faithful support of Labor principles his speeches were based upon sound judgement and he was exemplified by his 'fairness to political opponents.
Archibald Point on Saint Peter's Island was named in 1910 - see Advertiser,
21 January 1910, page 6e.
Also see South Australia - Politics.
Information on Mr Archibald is in the Weekly Herald,
19 October 1901, page 1,
29 March 1902, page 1a;
6 June 1906, page 5 (sketch);
an obituary is in the Register,
29 June 1926, page 11g.
ArcooldabyA pastoral station west of Lake Harris; see Chronicle,
27 December 1884, page 4g.
About 60 km NE of Copley; derived from the Aboriginal adkunha vambata - 'underground water'. The 'Arcoona Run' (lease no. 2139) was held by W. Fowler from 1871.
Information on the pastoral station is in the Observer,
17 January 1880, page 91a,
1 March 1924, page 47b.
"Suspicious Death at Arcoona" is in the Register, 3 March 1886, page 5c:
There was a suspicious death on the Arcoona run in 1886 when a Mrs Anderson was found lying fully dressed on a made bed, with slippers on the feet and the face covered. When this was removed it was found that her nose had been smashed.
The Register, of 24 March 1911, page 8h suggests the name means "underground meeting of waters".
Information on local caves is in the Advertiser,
15 December 1934, page 20a.
The Aboriginal name for the Siccus River, a tributary of Wilpena Creek (Passmore River) which flows into Lake Frome.
"Among the Arcoota Hills - Graveyards of the Bush" is in the Advertiser,
24 March 1922, page 11c;
photographs and other information are in the Chronicle,
25 March 1922, page 43a,
1 April 1922, pages 27-44c,
19 August 1922, page 43a.
The name was applied to a post office on section 104, Hundred of Yarrah, 14 km north of Quorn.
For a local social event see Advertiser,
4 October 1894, page 5h:
In October 1894 the Arden Vale Agricultural Bureau conducted a competition for the best farm, the best garden and the best cultivated and cleanest farm. The judges were Messrs Henry Kelly, John McColl and A.F. Noll, who reported: We have much pleasure in awarding the first prize for the best farm to Mr. C.F. Pearce; for the best garden to Mr. M. Searle and the best cultivated and cleanest farm to Mr. M. Eckert...
ArdnoIt was the name of John Livingstone's property; his obituary is in the Register,
4 March 1886, page 5c.
The Advertiser of
13 May 1887, page 5c talks of it being "16 miles from [Mount Gambier], on the mail route to Casterton. There are a good number of selectors there."
Also see Register,
12 January 1904, page 3g.
Named by Governor Fergusson after a seaport in Ayrshire, Scotland. The town was proclaimed on 13 November 1873.
The district is described in the Register,
10 August 1874, page 6d; also see
5 September 1874, page 6a,
14 December 1878, page 9d.
A proposed jetty is discussed in the Express,
4 September 1874, page 2g.
Information on a reservoir is in the Express,
15 March 1876, page 2c;
on the town's water supply in the Register,
26 February 1885, page 5d,
4 August 1885, page 6e,
13 June 1887, page 5d,
25 June 1888, page 7h,
2 August 1888, page 3d.
A proposed water supply is discussed on
6 July 1911, page 8d.
Also see South Australia - Water Conservation.
Its school opened in 1878.
The opening of the telegraph station is reported in the Observer,
15 February 1879, page 4e.
Also see South Australia - Communications - Telegraphic.
For information on local Aborigines see Register,
27 April 1881, page 5b.
Also see South Australia - Aborigines.
The laying of the foundation stone of the Institute and a sports day is reported in the Chronicle, 24 November 1883, page 6e;
the opening of the Institute is in the Register,
1 November 1884, page 6f.
The town is described in the Register,
19 May 1879, page 7a,
27 April 1904, page 8c,
3 May 1904, page 7f,
13 July 1926, page 7,
3 March 1928, page 7c.
Photographs are in the Observer,
2 March 1907, page 30,
12 March 1910, page 32,
13 July 1912, page 30,
12 March 1927, page 39,
21 and 28 January 1928, pages 39 and 40,
21 September 1918, page 28.
A stump jumping plough match on Mr G.W. Freeman's section is reported in the Register,
25 September 1880, page 523d.
2 October 1880, page 571d.
Also see South Australia - Industries - Rural, Primary and Secondary - Farming - Farm Implements.
A counter-claim from Messrs Stott and Branson as being inventors of the stump-jump plough is reported in the Register,
28 June 1882 (supp.), page 2b.
James W. Stott's obituary is in the Register,
25 March 1907, page 5b.
A further dispute appears in the Register
9 August 1882, page 5d; also see
8 and 22 September 1882, pages 7d and 1d (supp.).
16 September 1882, page 10d.
An obituary of Mr C.H. Smith, a "co-inventor of the stump-jump plough", is in the Register on
31 July 1901, page 7c.
Mr Richard B. Smith dismisses the suggestion of a co-inventor in a letter to the Register on
9 October 1901, page 3h - "If C.H. Smith had not been my apprentice he would not have made it at all"; also see
9 December 1901, page 4g.
"Birth of the Stump-Jumper" is in the Register,
19 and 23 April 1906, pages 6b and 8i.
"Romance of Manufacture - The Stump-Jump Plough" is in the Register,
23 April 1906, page 8i; also see
25 September 1906, page 6g and
2 March 1907, page 31 (photos).
Photographs of Mr & Mrs R.B. Smith are in the Observer,
2 August 1913, page 31.
A photograph of Mr R.B. Smith is in the Chronicle,
1 September 1917, page 23.
The Advertiser of 17 February 1934, page 22d carries a letter which says, inter alia:
Mr J.W. Stott of Alma made the first [stump jump plough] that was put to practical use about 1878 or 1879 and registered it for two years... He was the first to introduce the plough into Victoria where he and Mellor Bros patented it.
5, 14 and 29 March 1934, pages 18c, 18f and 22e.
A cricket match against Price is reported in the Chronicle,
6 July 1895, page 12g.
Also see South Australia - Sport - Cricket - Miscellany.
A photograph of a race club committee is in the Observer,
2 March 1912, page 31,
of a football team on
8 November 1913, page 32,
of Mr & Mrs William Adams and family on
20 August 1927, page 34.
Information on a fire clay industry is in the Observer,
28 September 1912, page 18a.
The diamond wedding of Mr & Mrs Whitbread is reported in the Register,
18 April 1918, page 5a,
the golden wedding of Mr & Mrs James Frost on 22 June 1922, page 6g,
the golden wedding of Mr & Mrs John Wall on 19 October 1926, page 8h.
Biographical details of C.G. Case are in the Register,
3 August 1920, page 5b.
The diamond wedding of Mr & Mrs W.E. Adams is reported upon in the Register,
8 August 1924, page 8h;
also see 13 August 1927, page 5g.
Ardrossan - Obituaries
An obituary of William Rice is in the Register,
21 April 1890, page 4h,
of Aaron Jarrett on 17 July 1919, page 6h,
of William Waters on 3 August 1922, page 6h,
of Robert Ingram on 9 February 1923, page 6g,
of Thomas Hogarth on 24 April 1923, page 8h,
of David Wilson on 7 July 1927, page 8h,
of W. Adams on 30 July 1928, page 11f.
An obituary of Charles Dinham is in the Observer, 2 March 1918, page 33e,
of R.D. Hogarth on 13 September 1919, page 14e,
of Robert Ingram on 17 February 1923, page 35e,
of Thomas Hogarth on 28 April 1923, page 35d,
of W. Adams on 4 August 1928, page 49d,
of William Foggo on 15 September 1928, page 34d