Place Names of South Australia - A
Ardtornish - Arthurton
A name given to a property in the Modbury district purchased by Angus and Gillian Maclaine from former Scottish associations. They were the benefactors of the 'Ardtornish School', established in the 1840s, which is commemorated by a school of the same name erected in the Saint Agnes area in 1980. On 30 November 1846 Angus McLaine applied for a share of a government grant to build a school at Ardtornish and in March 1847 £20 was allotted by the Kirk session of St. Andrew's Church. Official returns of 1858-1862 supply statistics relating to the school conducted by Charles Kerr when it was described as 'a very useful school conducted by an energetic master in a good and well furnished building'.
It is a hybrid name derived from the Gaelic aird - 'cape' and the Norse Thorsnes - 'Thor's Ness'.
Information on the school is in the South Australian,
13 April 1848, page 2d;
a report on school examinations is in the Observer,
29 April 1854, page 5f,
29 October 1859, page 8b and
examinations and a festival is in the Register,
20 November 1858, page 2e,
28 October 1859, page 3c,
9 November 1866, page 2d; also see
29 October 1867, page 2g and
23 November 1869, page 2g.
5 December 1905, page 7d for further historical information:
We are glad to find that this school, which lately was all but extinct, has been resuscitated by the diligent and praiseworthy efforts of Mr. Tallack, the recently appointed teacher.... Thus the seed so generously and liberally sown by Mr. Mclaine has at last been blessed with an abundant increase [of pupils].
An examination took place at the school in April 1854 when 20 awards were presented to the following successful candidates: Boys - Thomas Kemp, Robert Halden, James Halden, Henry Kemp, Charles Emery,, George Emery, William Montgomery, Joseph Morris, Edward Bagot, and William Mortimer. Girls - Gesiene Koch, Jane Cronk, Sarah Morris, Mary Montgomery, Geseine Wohler, Jeanette Halden, Ann McPherson, Charlotte Mortimer, Mary Ann Kemp and Ann Cronk. The examination concluded by the children singing a new version of the Evening Hymn to the tune 'New York' - and prayer. The children sat down to a repast of plum and seed cake, bread and butter, tea and coffee, etc. and regaled themselves to the full and perfect content.
The name of the school was changed to "Hope Valley" in 1915;
it closed in 1980, being replaced by the Ardtornish Primary School in 1982.
An obituary of Mrs Mary McCallum is in the Observer,
19 March 1898, page 30b.
On Thistle Island. The highest point used to look for the ketchAriel when it was wrecked en route to Thistle Island
"Ketch Ariel Missing" is in the Observer,
7 April 1928, page 32d:
The missing ketch is of about 40 tons register and her owner and captain is William T.H. Tapley. She left Port Adelaide on 23 March for North Shields with 900 bags of coke, about 10 tons of superphosphate and sundries. He also had on his ship a cultivator for Thistle Island of which he and his brother had a lease for farming purposes. With him on board were Mr. D. MacPherson, a seaman of Port Adelaide and John Maloney, a boy of Woodville.
In the North Flinders Ranges about 20 km north of Hawker. SA Museum records state it is a corruption of the Aboriginal akapa - 'underground (or hidden) water'.
The "opening services of a temporary pine building for school and religious purposes in connection with the Primitive Methodists" is reported in the Chronicle, 20 September 1879, page 21c:
The opening services of a temporary pine building for school and religious purposes in connection with the Primitive Methodists were commenced on Sunday, 7 September 1879, when two sermons
were preached by Rev T. Jarrett of Laura. Rain fell in torrents the whole of the day, thereby preventing many from attending. On the following Wednesday 'the first tea meeting in these parts took place' and, later, a public meeting was held, under the presidency of Mr. W.J. McLeod.
Its government school opened in 1888 and closed in 1941.
Information on farming in the Hundred is in the Advertiser,
3 and 13 April 1888, pages 6g and 7d,
15 May 1888, page 3f.
Also see South Australia - Northern Lands Development, Pastoralists and Allied Matters.
Following the resumption of the Arkaba run by the Crown a former lessee, J.H. Browne, said:
I have a record of the rainfall for 26 years which showed that 19 of them were too small to make it possible for a drop of wheat or hay to be grown there.... My [previous] warnings have been disregarded. The run was cut up into blocks and men having little or no knowledge of the climate took up some of them. The last two years prove how woefully the poor fellows have been disappointed.
How much longer will it take our legislators to learn that all the country north of "Goyder's Line" is only fit for pastoral purposes... Arkaba and Warcowie are striking object lessons and it is to be hoped that no more money will be wasted in buying out lessees in a district where the climate has rendered it unfit for close settlement...
An obituary of John Edgeloe is in the Register,
2 September 1903, page 4g,
5 September 1903, page 34e.
A discovery of asbestos is reported in the Advertiser,
6 July 1909, page 6e.
Also see South Australia - Mining - Miscellany.
Historical information is in the Register,
6 February 1926, page 9a.
In the General Registry Office are two plans lodged in June and July 1859 in relation to the villages of Armagh South and Armagh North 3 km west of Clare laid out by William Henry Clark, brewer, of Adelaide on sections 131 and 393, Hundred of Clare. He was born at Newry, County Armagh. In May 1850 'Armagh (South)' was described as:
- ... one mile from those splendid mineral sections, the Emu Flats, and two miles from the prosperous village of Clare. A creek flows through the township and furnishes to the metallic district the nearest permanent water...'. Later that year it was said that 'Armagh North [is] situated in the midst of inexhaustible mineral wealth midway between the Burra Mine and Port Henry. [It] is evidently destined to become a populous and thriving city...
Its school opened in 1860 and closed in 1942. See
10 December 1864, page 2h,
26 April 1866, page 2f,
28 December 1866, page 2h,
11 September 1867, page 4e.
School examinations are reported in the Observer,
22 December 1860, page 4g,
6 December 1862, page 3a,
10 December 1864, page 3a,
27 December 1866, page 3d; also see
8 October 1870, page 11b,
24 January 1871, page 6b,
The Irish Harp,
6 January 1872, page 3c.
A photograph is in the Chronicle,
14 January 1937, page 34:
An annual examination was held at Mr. Walter Crosby's school in December 1864 in the presence of Messrs E.B.Gleeson, E. Davies, J.P. Lennon, March, Eiffe, Ashby, Butler and parents of children.
9 May 1868, page 7a.
A discovery of silver ore is reported in the Register,
3 February 1888, page 5b.
Also see South Australia - Mining - Coal.
Biographical details of D.A. Crosby are in the Register,
25 December 1906, page 6i and an obituary on 20 February 1907, page 7a.
An obituary of George Hanlin is in the Observer,
25 February 1922, page 21d.
A photograph of a Queen competition is in the Chronicle,
13 February 1936.
The town, 122 km north-east of Port Lincoln, originally surveyed in 1882 by G.H. Ayliffe as 'Bligh' which contained 184 allotments, was renamed Arno Bay on 19 September 1940. In 1889, Mr J.A. Foulds said:
- It [Arno] was the native name for a sand hill well and not from any Italian association as some have supposed. (There is a River Arno in Italy which rises on Mount Falterona.)
A post office (receiving only) was opened there on 1 January 1908 and the mail came once a week from Wallaroo, Tumby Bay and Port Lincoln and thrice weekly from Cowell.
Also see Place Names - Bligh.
The Register of 5 April 1869, page 2h talks of "Ano Bay".
Its school opened in 1911 and closed in 1948.
1 February 1911, page 8h,
11 February 1911, page 47b.
The "Arno Bay Mine" (or "Windittie Mine") was sunk in the early 1870s, but after a strong influx of water operations were discontinued - in 1903 it appeared to warrant further expenditure "to ascertain its true value below water level..." See Record of the Mines of South Australia (fourth edition) page 152 and
2 February 1900, page 7c,
10 October 1905, page 6e (information on its discovery).
Also see South Australia - Mining - Coal.
Biographical details of Josiah Tanner are in the Register,
15 October 1907, page 5a.
The town and district are described in the Register,
25 October 1910, page 3b,
29 October 1910, page 14c and
27 January 1912, page 13e,
29 April 1911, page 42a,
13 May 1911, page 42,
13 April 1926, page 7e.
The "Wants of Arno Bay" are aired in the Register,
15 May 1908, page 3h; also see
28 December 1908, page 11g,
13 April 1926, page 7e.
Photographs are in the Chronicle,
14 January 1932, page 32,
3 March 1932, page 34,
29 September 1932, page 32.
"A Tale of Progress" is in the Chronicle,
24 April 1909, page 41d; also see
1 May 1909, page 30 (photos) and
"Progressive Arno Bay" on
20 August 1910, page 44a.
also see Advertiser,
11 August 1910, page 7f,
5 October 1910, page 11h.
"Arno Bay Badly Treated" is in the Register,
6 January 1911, pages 3c-4g:
The history of this part of the West Coast is interesting. In 1882 three little steamers, the Lubra, Royal Shepherd and Jessie Darling brought cargoes and mails. They had to lie outside the entrance to Franklin Harbour and passengers were taken to and from the township in a dinghy belonging to a Dutchman, Mace Anderson. Arno Bay is considered accessible at high tide and the Rupara ties up at the jetty which is 180 feet long. The town is half a mile from the jetty and between them is a swamp crossed by an embanked road 16 feet wide. Two loaded teams cannot pass one another and it frequently happens that a team gets into the swamp and has to be unloaded and extricated. Horses have disappeared there when the crust of 3 or 4 inches is broken.
Later, in 1911 it was reported: 'The primitive method adopted for taking pasengers from the Rupara need remedying. The boat always arrives between 10 and 12 pm and lays out about half a mile from the jetty and the passengers come ashore in an open boat in all weathers. There is not even a lamp at the landing to show the steps.'
As for school facilities - There are 32 children of school going age here and although forms and desks have been on the spot for some time and a teacher is promised, none have come...
The opening of a new hall is reported in the Register,
26 October 1910, page 5h, Observer,
29 October 1910, page 17c.
An obituary of Mrs Jessie Martin is in the Register,
15 October 1926, page 10a.
The jetty is discussed in the Observer,
14 October 1911, page 46d.
Also see Place Names - Franklin Harbour.
A photograph of a motor car bogged on the Cowell road is in the Chronicle,
2 February 1933, page 38.
Also see South Australia - Transport - Motor Cars & Cycles.
"Church Service in Hotel" is in the Advertiser,
7 October 1937, page 21b.
The Southern Australian of 2 March 1841 says:
... Cockatoo Valley, in the same survey, and in possession of John Hallett, has received the name of Arno Vale, and is reported to have produced the best cheese in the colony.
See Register, 24 July 1841, page 4c where it is said that its alternative name was "Cockatoo Valley".
North of Wilpena in the Aroona Valley, means 'place of frogs' according to Robert Bruce (1835-1908), who was overseer of the Arkaba run in 1858-59. The name 'Aroona' is also applied to a dam near Copley and other features in the Flinders Ranges. The 'Aroona Run' was established by J.F. Hayward (1822-1912) in 1851 (lease no. 83).
A photograph of members of a local tribe of Aborigines is in the Chronicle,
7 November 1903, page 42.
A reminiscent letter written by J.F. Hayward is in the Register,
24 March 1911, page 8h; also see
19 May 1928, page 16g; also see
22 March 1913, page 13e when Mr. J.R. Phillips reminisced upon Mr. Hayward:
My first meeting with him was at Pekina in 1850 or 1851. He had then nearly cut his big toe off while using an axe. The next meeting was at Kanyaka in 1853. He came down from Aroona to see about a dray road from Kanyaka to Port Augusta and to take some bales of wool that had been left at Kayak some months before to Port Augusta through Pichi Richi Pass. So he, with Mr.. Craig of Warcowie (the then owner) and drivers, Captain Chase [sic], James Quick and a black boy started and succeeded after days of hard work in getting through the pass to the port.
Mrs Hayward's obituary is in the Register,
30 and 31 March 1925, pages 9e and 8g,
7 April 1925, page 8h,
Advertiser, 31 March 1925, page 14f.
Arrawarru"Arrawarru - Mr Beasley's Residence on the Torrens" is in the Register,
27 August 1866, page 3g.
Mr Beasley's orangery is described in the Register,
19 July 1875, page 6f.
Also see South Australia - Industries - Rural, Primary and Secondary - Fruit and Vegetables.
A town 35 km south of Kadina was proclaimed on 25 January 1877 and named by Governor Musgrave after his son Arthur. (See Place Names - Kalkabury)
Its school opened in 1879 and closed in 1988.
The opening of the Wesleyan Church is reported in the Chronicle,
16 February 1895, page 12b.
A sports day is reported in the Chronicle,
5 September 1903, page 15b.
The town is described in the Register, 3 May 1904, page 7f:
The past few years has witnessed a great improvement in the form of scrub clearing around Arthurton and every year enhances the value of land and adds to the commercial prosperity of the town... which has a limited population efficiently catered for by Mr. L. Crosbie, storekeeper and postmaster, and Mr. Robinson. The local smithy is a branch of C.H. Smith's establishment at Ardrossan and Mr. D.J.Hanrahan combines hotel keeping with agricultural pursuits. Mr. S.A Keen is the State school teacher.
Biographical details of Mrs Catherine Kenny are in the Register,
8 July 1919, page 6f, 10 November 1926, page 8h (obit.),
an obituary of William Short on 1 November 1926, page 10h.
An obituary of J.V. Kenny is in the Observer,
14 July 1923, page 35b,
of Luther Crosby on 8 December 1923, page 39b,
of John Sharrad on 27 October 1928, page 50a.
The opening of the Soldiers' Memorial Chambers is reported in the Advertiser,
1 November 1927, page 20c.
16 July 1927, page 6a.
Also see South Australia - World War I - Memorials to the Fallen.
A photograph of a football team is in the Chronicle,
1 November 1934, page 33,
of a tennis team on
6 June 1935, page 34.