Place Names of South Australia - A
Allan Park - Alma
- Allan Park
- Allen Creek
- Allen, Hundred of
- Allenby Gardens
- Allendale East
- Allendale North
- Alligator Gorge
Allan Park"Old Homestead - History of Allan Park" is in The Mail,
2 June 1928, page 10c.
It was previously called Jordan Park and Sydney Park being renamed by a later owner, Mr George Bennet, "after his Allandale Station, near Oodnadatta."
A village 5 km north-west of Kapunda created by Benjamin White circa 1849 on section 1561, Hundred of Kapunda and named after William Allen (1788-1856), who took up land in the area in 1842.
In 1848 a local mine employed 20 men:
Under the superintendence of Mr Hack 'when the workings consisted of one main shaft and several levels' in the eastern bank of Allen's Creek is land which was purchased by Mr Edward Stephens; very favourable indications are visible, but no works have been commenced.
By 1851 it boasted of fifty houses, an inn and a flour mill. The Allen Creek school was conducted in a chapel from 1856; it closed in 1923. Captain William Allen was described as one of the smartest commanders in the merchant service. Upon his arrival in South Australia, in partnership with John Ellis, he purchased 4,000 acres of land at Port Gawler which formed part of the Milner Estate. It was this transaction which led to criminal proceedings against G.M. Stephen, a son-in-law of the former Governor Hindmarsh.
He died in 1856 bequeathing £5,000 to the Bishop of Adelaide in trust for pastoral aid purposes, thereby continuing his private charity work which he extensively exercised in his lifetime
The third anniversary of the Bible Christian Chapel is reported in the Register,
19 November 1857, page 2h; also see
16 November 1861, page 2d.
The opening of the Bible Christian Chapel is reported in the Register,
19 April 1855, page 2f; also see
19 November 1857, page 2h,
16 November 1861, page 2d.
A horse race meeting is reported in the Register,
7 January 1860, page 3f,
7 January 1860, page 4c,
6 January 1866, page 7a.
Also see South Australia - Sport - Horse Racing.
The Allen Creek Brewery is described in the Register,
9 July 1868, page 2h: Also see South Australia - Industries - Rural, Primary & Secondary - Brewing
A brewery was carried on there by Fotheringham brothers for about ten years until 1868 when the partnership was dissolved, the business being continued by Robert Fotheringham. It was situated on a hill on the east side of the creek about two and a half miles from Kapunda. The quantity of beer sent
out in 1868 was from 15 to 20 hogsheads, but during the summer months it reached 50. The brewery stood on 10 acres of land.
Photographs of flood damage are in the Observer,
10 July 1915, page 28.
Also see South Australia - Natural Disasters - Floods.
Allen, Hundred of
In the County of Alfred, proclaimed on 26 September 1912. Peter Allen (1855-1925), MP (1902-1925).
A sketch of Mr Allen is in The Critic,
13 October 1900, page 7.
Upon his death many eulogies were offered in remembrance of Peter Allen - see Register,
24 and 28 October 1925, pages 9d and 12f,
4 November 1925, page 18h.
Mr. Peter Allen was first elected to the House of Assembly on 3 May 1902 for the electorate of Wallaroo. This was the 17th parliament when the Assembly had 42 members, compared with 54 previously. He possessed a rare gift of humour - the humour that bubbles, sparkling up as a spring in the mountains.
Come to think of it was rather a feat to grind out such readable humour for over 20 years from a little place like Green's Plains, where the chief daily incidents were, perhaps, the rising and setting of the sun and moon. He radiated happiness - he added materially to the sum of human joy. He was the friend of all who knew him - the really true, sincere friend who knew no guile and in whose heart was rooted every tender and sympathetic virtue. His kindly nature, his simple goodness, opposing parties in the House acknowledged while he lived, and when he died all united with equal sympathy and grief to pay their last sad tribute of regret. (Register, 28 October 1925, page 12.)
A sample of Mr. Allen's wit is to be found in this piece on a mouse plague:
Traps, snares and poison are being freely used. Cats are taxed to their fullest holding capacity which is, however, not nearly equal to the occasion, and there is a brisk demand for good mousers, which are now worth from anything up to thirty shillings a dozen.
Small pigs have been chewed up in their sleep. Dogs have lost most of their bark, and roosters are afraid to crow lest they should attract attention and worse things come upon them...
The old order of things has been reversed, and now the mice not only play when the cats are away, but actually play with the cats... The unfortunate cats have become so scared they now, whenever possible, roost in trees, and have taken to eating grass and noxious weeds... (Register, 18 April 1911, page 4, 11 March 1922, page 6.)
AllenbyThe Allenby School opened as "Von Doussa" in 1910 the change of name being effected in 1918;
it closed in 1935.
The Register of 20 November, 1919, at page 6 says:
What shall be the name of the garden suburb to be established at Mitcham on the site of the old military camp... It was designated the Mitcham Garden suburb, but the title was only one of convenience. The Attorney-General said two had been made, either Gallipoli or Allenby. Mr. Denny, MC, rose at once and said he hoped that it would not be adopted. The name of Allenby would not be at all attractive to a returned soldier... General Allenby was no doubt a brilliant cavalry officer, but he had used derogatory and insulting words about the Australian light horsemen.
The sentiments expressed by Mr. Denny were rebutted by a returned soldier on 22 November 1919, page 11 - 'The general addressed only the 1st and 2nd Light Horse Brigades (we had five on the front) when he quietly rebuked them for the unfortunate Surafend affair.'
Honours Field Marshal Lord Allenby, who led an army in Palestine during World War I. Biographical details of Lord Allenby are in the Register, 10 April 1922, page 8h and an account of his visit to Adelaide on 9 and 11 January 1926, pages 7-8f and 8. It was laid out on part section 389, Hundred of Yatala in 1922 by the Public Trustee on behalf of the estate of the late Samuel Coombe; its school opened in 1926. The Advertiser of 20 May 1922 advertises it as 'Gallipoli Gardens' but one month later the current name was adopted.
An obituary of Samuel Coombe is in the Express,
3 January 1899, page 2d.
"Not Allenby!" is in the Register,
20 and 22 November 1919, pages 6g and 11d.
Biographical details of Lord Allenby are in the Register,
10 April 1922, page 8h and
an account of his visit to Adelaide on
9 and 11 January 1926, pages 7-8f and 8.
"Allenby's Brilliant Career" is in the Advertiser,
16 May 1936, page 24a.
Reminiscences of the district are in the Register on
6 June 1922, page 5e - As to modern-day Allenby Gardens, Mr. A.T. Saunders recalled in 1922:
I observe that the Public Trustee has had section 389 cut up into building lots. This is the last uncut up section in the vicinity and virtually extends house settlement from Adelaide to Port Adelaide... I can remember the Port road of 55 years ago when hay and wheat were grown on both sides of it. Its frontage to the Port road is diagonal and on its west and longest side is the only original government road to the Kirkcaldy road between Woodville and Adelaide....
The old township of York stood here and is connected in my mind with brick making and a worthy brick maker there named J.T. Headdy, who was an enthusiastic teetotaler and believed in water as a beverage, but not for excessive ablutions. He had a good magic lantern and spent a lot of time and money giving us youngsters pleasure and instilling the virtues of water taken inwardly. There was an old closed public house about York - the Coach and Horses - once kept by W. Byford and which was evidently ruined by the railway in 1856.
20 June 1922, page 6h,
16 September 1922, page 8g,
13 September 1923, page 10c.
The school opened in 1926.
On 6 August 1861, Peter Dowding Prankerd (1819-1902), land agent of Adelaide, obtained the land grant of sections 372, 373 and 374 Hundred of MacDonnell and during 1862 he laid it out as 'Allendale' 8 km north of Port MacDonnell. He may have named it after William Allen Crouch (1821-1899), one of the earliest landholders in the district, who purchased section 12, Hundred of Grey on 21 February 1854.
The reason for the addition 'East' is not known but it may have been adopted because of a town called Allendale (later to be known as 'Allendale North') in the Hundred of Kapunda. The Allandale (sic) East Post Office opened in 1862. Of some interest is the fact that over the years 1855-1859, W.A. Crouch cut up section 365 into six allotments ranging from five to twenty acres - was this an earlier day Allendale?
On 6 February 1940 the District Council of Port MacDonnell wrote to the Lands Department and said:
- I am to point out that it is only a short time ago that my Council, acting on representations made by descendants of the late Mr Allen Crouch, had the name of the township changed from Allandale East to Allendale East so as to in some measure perpetuate the memory of the late Mr Crouch. Mr Crouch was one of the very earliest settlers in this district and at one time owned most of the area now known as Allendale East, he was responsible for the subdivision of sections 372, 373 and 374 into township allotments, and gave to the people free of all charge the area on which the Catholic Church now stands.
The statements in the previous paragraph appear to be incorrect; firstly, Mr Crouch was not the subdivider of Allendale (sic) -see Deposited Plan No. 75 and Certificate of Title Volume 22 Folio 239. On 25 September 1862 he purchased lots 3, 4, 29 and 30 which he sold to Robert Kerr, storekeeper of Allandale (sic) on 23 October 1869 - this land is still held by the Kerr family. Secondly, the Catholic Church purchased lots 35 and 36 from P.D. Prankerd on 6 January 1863 (CT Vol.37 Fol.6) and disposed of the property in 1981 (CT Vol. 1601 Fols. 49, 50).
Of further interest is the fact that the four streets on Prankerd's plan, viz., William, Geraldine, Edmund and Bryan were named after Mr Crouch and three of his children. The local school was opened as 'Kingsley' in 1864, changed to 'Allandale East' in 1924 and 'Allendale East' in April 1937. In 1916 the Nomenclature Committee suggested the name be changed to 'Kandelka', Aboriginal for 'good soil'.
A proposed Presbyterian church is discussed in the Register,
7 October 1865, page 3e.
Examinations at a Catholic school are reported in the Catholic Herald,
20 January 1868, page 66.
An obituary of Walter C. Parish is in the Register,
19 August 1898, page 6d,
of J.R. McLay on 19 December 1902, page 5a,
of James Barry on 16 December 1916, page 9c,
of John J. Butler in the Observer, 13 April 1918, page 18c,
of George Laslett in the Register, 13 October 1926, page 10b.
The diamond wedding of Mr & Mrs August Kieselbach is reported in the Register,
20 April 1906, page 4g.
Information on a public hall is in the Register,
18 July 1910, page 10d,
14 December 1910, page 5g (opening).
A photograph of a memorial arch is in the Chronicle,
28 March 1925, page 35, Also see <="../../sa/ww1/indrel.htm#memorials">South Australia - World War I - Memorials to the Fallen
of camels on
29 March 1934, page 34.
Contiguous to the village of Allen Creek 5 km north-west of Kapunda. The village of Allendale was laid out on section 1563, Hundred of Kapunda by William Oldham (1811-1885) circa 1859; he arrived in the Lord Goderich in 1838. An obituary is in the Register, 4 July 1885, page 7c. Its post office opened in 1851 and the 'North' was added circa 1865 to distinguish it from its South-East counterpart; it was destroyed by fire on 27 January 1887.
Its school was opened as "Allendale" in 1861, the "North" being added in 1865;
it closed on 26 June 1943.
School examinations are reported in the Advertiser,
27 December 1867, page 3d:
The annual examination of Allandale (sic) School took place on 23 December 1867 in the presence of most of the parents of the children and of a number of residents of the district. The children were thoroughly examined in all the rudiments of a sound English education in which they acquitted themselves in a manner highly creditable to their instructor, Mr. Styles. A number of first-class prizes were awarded to various pupils as follows: First prize, general class - Eliza Kelly for rapid progress made in reading, writing, grammar and geography. Boys - First prize writing, Alfred Peterson; girls , first prize writing, Fanny Kelley. First prize arithmetic, John Besly; first prize, geography, Emily Sampson; first prize grammar, Louisa Kelley; second prize, writing, Maria Cole.
12 July 1881, page 5e.
The destruction of the mill by fire is reported in the Register,
23 March 1885, page 4h,
28 March 1885, page 31b.
Also see South Australia - Industries - Rural, Primary & Secondary - Farming - Mills.
The obituary of William Oldham, the creator of the village of "Allendale", is in the Register,
4 July 1885, page 7c,
of his wife in the Observer, 30 November 1901, page 33a.
A prize-winning story by R.S. Burdon of the Manoora School is in the Register,
6 October 1906, page 9e;
A prize-winning essay by Roy Stanley Burdon titled 'The Pilgrim Fathers and Mothers of Our State' is in the Advertiser, 6 October 1906, page 9:
[The early colonists] have made a mark in the world's history that time itself will scarcely erase and have started a work which we are still carrying on in the back districts, though under much improved circumstances... What would some of the people of a hundred years ago say if they were to se Australia today; with its growing wheat fields and afterwards the millions of bushels of grain. Truly we have great reason to thank the 'Pilgrim Fathers and Mothers of our State'.
A photograph of water pipe laying is in the Chronicle,
17 March 1917, page 24.
Also see South Australia - Water Conservation.
Allendale North - Obituaries
Of Mrs Selina Harris on 26 July 1913, page 17a,
of Mrs Friedericke Matthias on 9 October 1918, page 6h,
of John M. Trewartha on 1 April 1920, page 6g,
of Mrs Julianna Frost on 28 July 1928, page 11b.
Of Samuel A. Harris on 23 August 1924, page 38c,
of J.F. Jericho on 25 August 1928, page 49d.
Near Wilmington. Mr W.H. Slee, an old resident of the district said in 1975 'there was an Aboriginal shepherd named Alli who camped at the top of the range'.
It is described in the Observer of 2 January 1909, page 30 with accompanying photographs.
The settlement evolved on section 106, Hundred of Alma, 8 km east of Owen, when E.W. and A.J. Wright sold one acre to Henry Smith in 1865. Hundred of Alma, proclaimed on 22 May 1856; the first surveys were made by James Elder in 1855. On the banks of the River Alma in the Crimea the allies gained their first victory in 1854. The name comes from a Tartar word meaning 'apple tree'.
A ploughing match is reported in the Register,
7 August 1858, page 3g,
24 September 1861, page 3h.
Also see South Australia - Industries - Rural, Primary & Secondary - Farming - Ploughing Matches.
The laying of the foundation stone of the Alma Plains Congregational Church is reported in the Register,
20 October 1864, page 2g and
its opening on
30 September 1865, page 2f;
a brief history of it appears on
16 August 1866, page 2e - "... [Services] were held for more than two years in a temporary building provided by Mr Adam Kelly of Yacko Hill."
The opening of the Primitive Methodist Church is reported in the Register,
28 December 1866.
A photograph of Alma Plains Congregational Church is in the Chronicle,
12 September 1903, page 43.
A "grand picnic" is reported in the Register,
8 October 1863, page 3a.
The district's "second annual picnic" is reported in the Observer,
29 October 1864, page 3e (supp.).
An Alma South annual picnic is reported in the Chronicle,
3 March 1888, page 23c.
Examinations at the Alma Plains School are reported in the Advertiser,
20 August 1870, page 3f.
Parliamentary Paper 26/1875 shows Alma School being conducted in a chapel by Richard Woolcock and Alma Plains School by Sarah H. Birt;
the latter apparently had its name changed to Alma South in 1864.
Alma Lower School opened in 1880 and closed in 1920;
see Life Around the Light, page 125.
For information on a local school see Register, 28 April 1881, page 5b.
The opening of the Alma Bridge near Hamley Bridge is reported in the Observer,
28 February 1874, page 11d.
The village is described in the Register,
30 October 1875, page 6g,
18 November 1903, page 3h:
The township consists of about a half a dozen houses. Travelers are probably not very frequent here, for no provision whatever is made for their accommodation. There were evident tokens of a press of
business at the machinist's and the only store in the place, and the country round about indicated long settlement and permanent prosperity.
In 1903 Mr. A. Jones officiated as postmaster and Messrs. J. Pearce and P. Smith were blacksmiths. The State School at Alma North was in charge of Miss Venning and Miss Tamblyn occupied a similar position at Alma South. There were two places of worship, Mr. R. Gow officiating at the Church of Christ, while a minister from Kapunda conducted services at the Congregational Church.
A cricket match, Alma Plains versus Kent is reported in the Register,
27 February 1879, page 6d,
Alma Plains versus Kent is reported in the
28 February 1880 (supp.), page 3c and
a sports day on
4 September 1885, page 3g.
Information on members of the cricket club is in the Chronicle,
10 May 1884, page 15b.
A complaint from a former clerk of the District Council of Alma Plains is aired in the Register,
3 August 1888, page 3d; also see
7 August 1888, page 7f.
"Supposed Murder" at Alma Plains is in the Chronicle,
31 August 1895, page 22e.
An obituary of Mrs John Laurie is in the Register,
14 January 1902, page 3e.
The Alma Plains district is described in the Observer,
21 November 1903, page 12a.
Information on the water supply for Alma North is in the Register,
12, 15 and 23 December 1925, pages 14f, 9d and 15d.
Also see South Australia - Water Conservation.
Alma - Obituaries
The death of James Rogers is reported in the Register, 1 April 1864.
An obituary of Elliot Aitchison is in the Register, 21 August 1888, page 5a,
of Charles B. Morrison on 10 October 1889, page 5b.
An obituary of George Hissey is in the Register, 7 March 1905, page 4i,
Observer, 11 March 1905, page 34d,
of Mrs D.M. Harris on 10 October 1914, page 42b,
of Mrs Ellen Snodgrass on 10 December 1927, page 59c.