Place Names of South Australia - A
Nomenclature The Register, 30 May 1918, page 3 says:
The government schooner Yatala (Captain Dowsett) sailed from Port Adelaide on 6 May 1852 with A.L. Elder, MLC, John Grainger, MLC, one sapper and one assistant as passengers. On Friday, 21 May, Messrs Elder, Grainger, Peters, Henderson and Harris went ashore to form a township and find a place to build a wool store, but apparently without success, as they sailed further up the gulf. The log for Sunday, 23 May, says:
Went on shore to first high land through a dense mangrove swamp. At 3 pm came aboard. Messrs Elder, Harris and Stuckey found a beach and deep water, hard ground appearing from the range to form a road down to the beach. Monday, 24 May - At 7.30 am manned the whaleboat, myself (Captain Dowsett), Messrs Elder, Grainger, Harris and Peters. Sailed up to Port Augusta and sounded the channel right to the landing place. Went on shore to look at a salt lake. Erected on the beacon a flagstaff. Gave cheers three times and three and named it Port Augusta. Came on board, made sail, and beat down the gulf...
- The entire ship's company joined hand in hand and, in this manner, tramped along the beach and made incursions inland, searching for pegs. For three days they followed this course but found nothing. Captain Hay then landed and stacked the stores above high-water mark, securing them by a tarpaulin firmly weighted and pegged down. Two or three of the crew walked a distance of five miles to the wells, just before completed by Mr. Minchin, but found the place deserted...
- ... Three miles above Curlew Point we were fortunate to fall in with a very superior landing place... Mr Harris, the sapper, who accompanied the party, having prepared a chart of the new port (which we have taken the liberty of calling Port Augusta), we have the honour to forward herewith.
A horse race meeting is reported in the Register,
3 May 1860, page 3g.
A disqualification of jockeys at a local race meeting is reported in the Chronicle,
14 July 1877, page 16a; also see
14 July 1894, page 17d.
"Race Week at Port Augusta" is in the Register,
9 and 10 July 1906, pages 8g and 6d.
A history of the racing club is in the Register,
2 July 1927, page 6f.
Early day racing is recalled on
2 July 1928, page 4c.
Also see South Australia - Sport - Horse Racing.
Sports days are reported upon in the Register,
8 January 1863, page 3e.
A regatta is reported in the Chronicle,
26 January 1861, page 7f,
8 September 1883, page 15f,
8 January 1864, page 3e,
9 January 1864, page 7b,
8 January 1867, page 3h,
An 1865 photograph of "Port Augusta Pioneers" is in the Chronicle,
15 April 1916, page 25.
Reminiscences of a local bullock driver are in the Register,
21 April 1866, page 3.
The laying of the foundation stone of a Bible Christian Chapel is reported in the Register,
20 November 1866, page 3b.
A proposed Church of England is reported upon in the Register,
20 March 1867, page 3g.
An entertaining and informative description of a trip from Port Augusta to Lake Hope, via Horrocks' Pass and Willochra, is in the Register, 3 October 1868, page 3f-g.
Information on a school is in the Register,
11 December 1870, page 6d,
30 December 1870, page 6e,
30 December 1870, page 2g;
a proposed public school is discussed in the Express,
17 March 1876, page 2g and
6 May 1880, page 1d (supp.).
A "Hoisting the Flag" ceremony in the Chronicle,
25 May 1901, page 19d.
A Catholic school picnic is reported in The Irish Harp,
19 December 1875, page 5c.
... There is not less than 1000 goats regularly fed around here, and camped every night in the streets and sheltered places... every corner stinks with them... [they] are destroying every bush within four or five miles of the place...
(See Place Names - Stirling North.)
13 January 1874, page 5a.
A photograph is in the Observer,
8 June 1907, page 32.
Information on providing the town with electricity is in the Register,
29 July 1887, page 5d.
4 October 1924, page 27d.
Information on electric lighting of the town is in the Register,
2 October 1924, page 10c.
A proposed district council is discussed in the Observer,
22 and 29 May 1875, pages 12e and 11g.
Also see South Australia - Miscellany - Local Government.
An obituary of Mrs Thomas Y. Cotter is in the Observer,
9 March 1876, page 5d.
An article entitled "North-West of Port Augusta", which includes information on pastoralists, is in the Register,
5 March 1877, page 5e; also see
27 August 1877, page 6c,
14 February 1878, page 5f,
20 and 23 July 1885, pages 6b,
5, 13 and 14 August 1885, pages 5g, 5h and 6a.
Also see South Australia - Miscellany - Squatters and Pastoralists.
A farewell dinner to S.C. Trewenack is reported in the Register,
6 April 1877, page 6c.
"Port Augusta Park Lands" is in the Observer,
2 June 1877, page 12f.
Information on the Flinders Family Hotel is in The Lantern,
13 September 1879, page 7.
An overland trip to Streaky Bay is reported in the Register,
11 February 1878 (supp.), page 3a.
A coach trip from Hallett to Port Augusta is described in the Advertiser,
27 and 29 August 1878, pages 5e and 5e.
A brief history of coaching out of the town is in the Advertiser,
28 March 1914, page 18f.
Also see South Australia - Transport - Horse Coaches.
Early mail services are recalled in the Register,
2 August 1924, page 13g.
Also see South Australia - Communications - Mail and Postal .
"Sabbath breaking" is reported upon in the Observer,
29 March 1879, page 11g.
Also see South Australia - Religion - Breaking the Sabbath.
"Land and House Property in Port Augusta" is in the Chronicle,
8 February 1879, page 11f.
"Building Act for Port Augusta" is in the Register,
6 March 1883, page 6c.
Also see Adelaide - Housing, Architecture and Ancillary Matters - The Building Act.
"A District Council for the Suburbs of Port Augusta" is in the Register,
9 May 1882, page 6g.
A photograph of members is in the Observer,
7 January 1905, page 24.
Information on town mayors, N.A. Richardson and C.E. Robertson is in the Register,
10 December 1892, page 1c (supp.).
"A Municipal Jubilee" is in the Register,
23 November 1925, page 10a.
Also see South Australia - Miscellany - Local Government .
Controversy over the Port Augusta Land Company is traversed in the Register,
19, 23, 24, 29 and 30 May 1882, pages 4c, 1g (supp.), 6e, 7a and 6f,
6 June 1882 (supp.), page 1f,
3 July 1882, page 4f,
18 May 1883, page 6c.
On 17 November 1882 at page 6c it is said that:
[Mr Sawtell] was convinced that two-thirds of the paid-up capital was pocketed by the promoters, and four out of five directors were of the opinion that they were perpetrating a swindle...
26, 29 and 31 May 1882, pages 4e-5d, 6g and 6d,
17 March 1883, page 6f.
"Removal of Police Sergeant [Leahy]" is in the Register,
16 January 1883, page 7b.
Also see South Australia - Police.
Information on the local ostrich farm is in the Observer,
7 April 1883, page 39a,
21 April 1883, page 37a,
17 November 1888, page 12c,
25 May 1889, page 13a,
10 and 31 May 1890, pages 29c-38e and 30e,
3 August 1883, page 7f,
24 November 1883, page 14a,
21 November 1885, page 12c,
27 February 1886, page 22e.
15 December 1883, page 2d (supp.),
19 November 1885, page 7b,
2 September 1886, page 7a,
13 February 1888, page 6c,
21 May 1889, page 6e,
6 May 1890, page 5b (obit. of Thomas Williams),
22 December 1890, page 6f,
27 July 1891,
20 December 1921, page 8c,
3 February 1899, page 2h.
"Attacked by an Ostrich" is related in the Advertiser,
22 July 1895, page 5c,
16 July 1898, page 29c,
27 July 1901, page 32c.
A photograph is in the Chronicle,
3 August 1912, page 30.
Its sale is reported in The News,
9 May 1940, page 18g.
"Ostriches, Port Augusta and Blacks" is in the Observer,
1 August 1891, page 41d.
Also see Kangaroo Flat and South Australia - Industries, Rural Primary and Secondary - Ostrich Farming.
"Township Lands and Reserves" is in the Register,
14 June 1883, page 4g.
Information on a bicycle club is in the Express,
14 November 1883, page 3e.
"Sickness in Port Augusta" is in the Observer,
8 December 1883, page 28c.
"The Progress of Port Augusta" is in the Register,
4 February 1885, page 4g.
An obituary of Alexander Mackay is in the Register,
17 March 1885, page 5b.
"Building Society Fraud" is in the Express,
15 July 1886, page 3c.
A cartoon on the aftermath of an earthquake is in The Lantern,
15 January 1887, page 8.
A shipment of horses from Port Augusta is reported upon in the Register,
11 August 1887, page 7b.
"The New Catholic See of Port Augusta" is in the Chronicle,
28 April 1888, page 7g.
A proposed smelting works is discussed in the Chronicle,
5 May 1888, page 19g.
"Smelters at Port Augusta" is in the Register,
18 and 25 August 1899, pages 3e-4g and 6h,
16 September 1899, page 9e,
7 November 1899, page 4g,
8 June 1900, page 4g.
A lacrosse match is reported in the Observer,
1 September 1888, page 18c,
17 August 1889, page 19b,
1 July 1893, page 20c.
Information on the lacrosse club is in the Chronicle,
2 May 1896, page 28a.
Also see South Australia - Sport - Lacrosse.
A sports day is reported in the Chronicle,
6 September 1890, page 23d,
24 April 1897, page 20c.
A report on local Aborigines is in the Register,
23 April 1891, page 7d; also see
27 July 1891, page 6a.
Also see South Australia - Aboriginal Australians.
Information on a fire brigade is in the Observer,
2 May 1891, page 36c.
"Early Trade of Port Augusta" is in the Observer,
9 February 1895, page 4e.
The first Woolundunga Show is reported in the Observer,
9 February 1895, page 6b,
2 March 1895, page 5c,
14 September 1895, page 55a,
7 September 1895, page 6f.
Also see South Australia - Miscellany - Agricultural, Floricultural & Horticultural Shows .
Biographical details of a lawyer, N.A. Webb, are in the Observer,
18 January 1896, page 16d,
of Thomas Young in the Register,
23 October 1899, page 5a, 22 November 1899, page 5d;
his obituary is in the Register,
12 and 13 December 1904, pages 4i and 4i.
Biographical details of a Mayor, Thomas Young, are in the Observer,
5 March 1898, page 16a, 25 November 1899, page 15e;
an obituary appears on 24 May 1913, page 41b;
also see 28 June 1913, page 17d, 17 April 1915, page 29 (photo).
A tennis match against Quorn is reported in the Express,
28 May 1896, page 4b.
Information on the Federal Tennis Club is in the Chronicle,
3 August 1901, page 15c.
A tennis match is reported in the Observer,
14 June 1902, page 19d.
Also see South Australia - Sport - Tennis.
"Carnival Week at Port Augusta" is in the Advertiser,
14 July 1898, page 5e,
"The Port Augusta Week and Some Racing" in the Chronicle,
14 July 1900, page 33a,
"Races in the North" in the Observer,
13 July 1901, page 17d.
A photograph of members of a jockey club is in the Observer,
29 July 1905, page 30,
29 June 1933, page 35; also see
4 and 11 July 1935, pages 34 and 35.
Also see South Australia - Sport - Horse Racing.
Biographical details of Thomas Hewitson are in the Register,
8 April 1901, page 5a,
Observer, 4 May 1901, page 16d,
of Rev Sydney Best on 10 September 1903, page 7b,
of J. Beatton on 13 November 1905, page 4h and
an obituary on 27 November 1905, page 4h.
"Port Augusta Wants Public Works" is in the Register,
13 January 1903, page 8c.
"Signs of Returning Prosperity" is in the Chronicle,
6 August 1904, page 32a.
"Adelaide to Port Augusta by Road" is in the Register,
16 and 25 February 1905, pages 5i and 9a and
"Passing of the Mail Coach" on
28 March 1914, page 15b.
Also see South Australia - Transport - Horse Coaches.
"Bathing at Port Augusta" is in the Register,
16 February 1905, page 6e.
The golden wedding of Mr & Mrs George Horne is reported in the Register,
30 August 1910, page 4g.
A photograph of a ladies' hockey team is in the Chronicle,
30 September 1911, page 34,
of a camel team leaving with shearers in the Observer,
14 September 1912, page 30,
of the Port Augusta police force on
14 September 1912, page 30.
"Unemployed at Port Augusta" is in the Register,
12 and 13 June 1912, pages 6d-7b.
Biographical details of F.E. Becker are in the Register,
5 August 1912, page 8g.
"Labor Day at Port Augusta" is in the Chronicle,
19 October 1912, page 17a.
"Typhoid at Port Augusta" is in the Register,
16 November 1912, page 15c;
An outbreak of typhoid fever is reported in the Observer,
23 November 1912, page 50a;also see
20 April 1915, page 3f.
Also see South Australia - Health - Fevers - Typhoid.
The unveiling of a portrait of Lady Augusta Young is reported in the Observer,
9 August 1913, page 37c.
Biographical details of James Bryant are in theRegister,
8 January 1915, page 4h,
of L.W. Grayson in the Observer,
9 December 1916, page 47c,
of Dr L.J. Pellew in the Register, 13 May 1915, page 6f.
Biographical details of the first postmaster, James F. Phillips are in the Register,
2 August 1924, page 13g,
of James Holdsworth, town clerk, on 22 June 1925, page 8c.
"The Port Augusta [Influenza] Quarantine" is in the Register,
18 April 1919, page 6f.
Also see South Australia - Health - Fevers - Influenza and Colds.
"Cotton Grown at Port Augusta" is in the Advertiser,
26 and 28 April 1921, pages 6h and 10f.
Also see South Australia - Industries - Rural, Primary and Secondary - Cotton.
"Memories of an Old Police Officer" is in the Register,
16 October 1925, page 13d.
"Disabilities of Port Augusta" is in the Register,
12 August 1926, page 2f.
A photograph of a swimming club's clubhouse is in the Chronicle,
15 March 1934, page 38.
An obituary of Michael Morris, stock inspector, is in the Register,
28 May 1897, page 5d,
of Dr W. Markham in the Observer, 19 June 1897, page 24a,
of Harry Gawen on 11 October 1902, page 38a,
of Thomas Young on 17 December 1904, page 44d,
(a photograph of four generations of T. Young and his descendants is in The Critic,
4 January 1905, page 7),
of James Beatton, postmaster, on 2 December 1905, page 38a.
An obituary of Mrs Frank Smith is in the Register,
21 February 1898, page 5a,
of Henry Gawen on 7 October 1902, page 5b.
An obituary of Rev Dr Maher is in the Register,
21 December 1905, page 4h,
of John Brennan on 26 and 31 August 1908, pages 7a and 6e,
of W.T. Cowan on 25 July 1911, page 4i,
of John Harris on 25 July 1911, page 6f,
of Mrs John Woodforde on 25 July 1911, page 6f.
An obituary of R.S. Fullerton is in the Observer,
19 March 1910, page 40a,
of John Woodforde on 11 June 1910, page 40b,
of John Harris on 29 July 1911, page 41b,
of W.T. Cowan on 29 July 1911, page 41b,
of John Carrig, tailor, on 31 May 1913, page 41a,
of Elijah Gold on 28 June 1913, page 41a,
of John H. Michael on 16 June 1917, page 33e.
An obituary of John Carrig is in the Register,
28 May 1913, page 12g,
of Elijah Gold on 20 June 1913, page 6g,
of R.L. Abbott on 8 November 1913, page 16a,
of Salvator Cilento on 10 October 1914, page 8g,
of F.R. Pybus on 2 February 1915, page 4g,
of Mrs Caroline M. Farr on 7 July 1916, page 4g,
of Mrs S.T. Hill on 9 January 1919, page 6h,
of Enos Howden on 19 May 1919, page 4f,
of Edward Geering on 20 September 1920, page 4h.
An obituary of Mrs Anne Gluyas is in theRegister,
7 May 1921, page 10c,
of J. Cleary on 10 May 1921, page 4h,
of James Bryant on 3 September 1921, page 8c,
of G.R.E. Herd on 26 September 1921, page 8c,
of Mrs Eliza A. Wellby on 22 October 1921, page 11e,
of William Ellis on 13 May 1924, page 8h,
of George Pitt on 2 September 1924, page 8g.
An obituary of T.McK. McPharlin is in theObserver,
4 June 1921, page 34a,
of Mrs E.A. Welby on 29 October 1921, page 34a,
of F.J. Partridge on 18 March 1922, page 31b,
of William Ellis on 17 May 1924, page 39d,
of George Pitt on 6 September 1924, page 39b,
of A.E. Carrig, chemist, on 11 September 1926, page 60d,
of Alfred Back on 16 April 1927, page 44c.
An obituary of Miss Louisa J. Richardson is in the Register,
10 September 1925, page 19e,
of John Newton on 3 June 1926, page 8g,
of John A. Absolam on 12 October 1926, page 11a,
of Alfred Back on 12 April 1927, page 8g,
of Henry S.W. Ash on 4 July 1927, page 13b,
of H.G. Williams on 5 October 1927, page 12d,
of Henry Daw on 2 May 1928, page 10g.