Place Names of South Australia - B
Beefacres - Bellwood
- Beevor, Mount
- Bella Vista
- Bellum Bellum
Named by Edward Mead Bagot, who registered the purchase of section 504 from John Hector and E.C. Gwynne in April 1854. He brought down cattle from Ned's Corner Station and one mob realised sufficient money to purchase the land.
Mr E.M. Bagot's farm "Beefacres" is described in the Register,
25 April 1862, page 3c; also see
13 September 1880, page 6f,
10 and 21 June 1882, pages 1c (supp.) and 7d,
4 July 1882 (supp.), page 1c,
17 and 25 October 1883, pages 6c and 6d,
20 March 1888, page 6a,
22 January 1892, page 5g.
Historical information is in the Register,
29 September 1927, page 11b.
An obituary of Edward M. Bagot is in the Register,
3 August 1886, page 6c,
of C.M. Bagot on 9 October 1899, page 5a.
A large swamp, with a spring, north of Fowlers Bay, discovered by E.J. Eyre in 1840.
The surrounding country was explored by Messrs F. Miller and W. Dutton -
see Parliamentary Paper 192/1857.
In the Hundred of Howe; an Aboriginal name for a nearby creek and springs. The Beetaloo Run was established by W. & J. Jacob on 15 August 1844 under occupation licence. By 1851 it was held by J. Logan when it was recorded as 'Butuloo', and in Parliamentary Paper no. 21 of 1875 John and Richard J.B. Reid are listed as holders of pastoral lease no. 37 at 'Butuloo, Crystal Brook'.
A sale of the Beetaloo pastoral property is reported in the Register,
28 January 1882, page 5c.
Mr Stark's Springvale Nursery is described in the Chronicle,
12 May 1883, page 14f.
The Beetaloo Springs are discussed in the Advertiser,
2 September 1884, page 4g,
18 March 1885, page 6a,
5 September 1885, page 23e.
Also see South Australia - Northern Lands Development and Allied Matters - Water, Artesian Wells and Springs.
The waterworks are described in the Register,
11 February 1885, page 6f,
10 March 1885, page 7c; also see
25 September 1885, pages 4g-6f,
8 December 1885, page 6f,
16 January 1886, pages 5a-6f,
1 February 1886, page 5e,
23 June 1886, page 5f,
10 April 1886, page 3d,
28 May 1886, page 3g.
Also see South Australia - Water Conservation.
Sketches and photographs are in the Pictorial Australian in
October 1886, page 148,
December 1890, page 180,
September 1891 (supplement).
Biographical details of Charles Jobson, resident engineer, are in the Register,
2 April 1891, page 5a.
Also see Register,
12 February 1886, page 5a,
12, 14 and 15 April 1886, pages 6b, 6d and 6f,
5 May 1886, page 5b,
28 February 1887, page 6f,
31 March 1887, page 6b,
1 April 1887, page 6c,
14 May 1887, page 23a,
12 November 1887, page 23d,
29 and 30 March 1888, pages 7b and 6f,
18 April 1888, page 6d.
1 May 1888, page 3h,
10,11 and 23 August 1888, page 7e, 4h and 4f,
9 May 1891, pages 25a-34a,
25 June 1896, page 4d,
26 August 1902, page 7c.
A photograph of the reservoir is in the Chronicle,
16 January 1904, page 42.
Information on a football club is in the Observer,
1 October 1887, page 18a.
Also see South Australia - Sport - Football.
"A Visit to Beetaloo" is in the Chronicle,
21 April 1888, page 8a.
"Fertile Beetaloo" is in the Advertiser,
15 November 1907, page 10d:
With anything like proper working 20 bushels to the
acre at least can be produced on the wheatlands of
the Beetaloo Valley where, last year, the rainfall
totalled 22 inches, while as much as 40 bushels to
the acre of 'Federation' were reaped last year on
one farm. Here failure is unknown and usually the
best returns are realised when lean years are being
experienced by other districts. It is for fruit-growing
capabilities, however, that the valley is best known...
The school was opened in 1886 and closed in 1955.
On section 313, Hundred of Tungkillo, commemorates Captain James B. Beevor, who occupied land in the district during the early 1840s. On 30 September 1847 he took up land in the Port Lincoln district, five miles north of Lake Greenly which he called 'Taunto'. On 3 May 1849 he was murdered by three Aborigines, who were captured and tried in Adelaide. Two of the assailants were found guilty of murder and taken back to 'Taunto' and hanged within a few yards of the scene of their treachery.
The sale of the property is reported in the Register,
29 November 1906, page 4f,
27 February 1907, page 6e:
It was one of the best wool producing properties in the State, was never been overstocked and for the last 25 years was noted as a breeding establishment. The dwelling house had 13 rooms and the improvements were numerous and up-to-date.
Professor N.B. Tindale said that the original Aboriginal name was pillali or pilladli, which were probably based on two words: pilla - 'eagle' and ngadli - the nominated dual - 'we two'. The private town of Belalie was laid out by Charles Burney Young in 1874 on sections 447-449, for which he obtained the land grant on 15 September 1873; now included in Jamestown. The first post office was opened as Belalie East between May and August 1873; changed to 'Belalie' in January 1903.
The district is described in Register of 15 October 1872, page 6b:
The township of the [district] rejoices in the euphonious name of Jamestown. Probably a prettier and loftier sounding appellation might have been chosen, but the one selected gives you a sense of familiarity with the place, for you feel at once that you have heard the name before.
(Also see Advertiser, 20 May 1873, page 2h.)
5 September 1874, page 5e.
Also see South Australia - Industries - Rural, Primary and Secondary - Ploughing Matches.
The Belalie North School opened in 1881 and closed in 1968;
the Belalie East School opened in 1878 and closed in 1959;
a picnic on Mr Cumming's paddock is reported in the Chronicle,
10 October 1903, page 34d.
Photographs of the students of both schools are in the Chronicle,
11 May 1933, page 36.
A coursing event is reported in the Chronicle,
7 July 1906, page 21c.
Also see South Australia - Sport - Coursing.
A photograph of the laying the foundation stone of the Belalie East Memorial Hall is in the Chronicle,
4 August 1923, page 34, Also see South Australia - World War I - Memorials to the Fallen
of the opening of the Belalie North Memorial Hall on
1 September 1923, page 33, Also see South Australia - World War I - Memorials to the Fallen
of the Belalie East tennis team on
12 April 1934, page 36.
Information on "The Bel-Man Tiger" is in the Advertiser,
2 November 1923, page 9a:
Although the spotted beast roaming the Belalie-Mannanarie hills has been assiduously stalked, and incidentally so magnified that some search parties are uncertain whether it is a tiger or a giraffe they are hunting, the animal has so far eluded capture. The district is not alarmed over the failure... A party went out from Jamestown on Sunday bent on the 'tiger's' destruction and returned 'tigerless' and with only one casualty - a thorn in a dog's foot...
26 August 1925, page 12i,
of James Neale in the Observer, 18 August 1928, page 34c.
Belalie - Obituaries
An obituary of Thomas Williams is in the Observer,
13 June 1908, page 40a,
of Mrs Thomas Mitchell on 11 December 1915, page 28a,
of J.S. Mitchell on 29 January 1916, page 32d,
of Robert Bailey on 6 July 1918, page 20c,
of William Gilfillan on 19 March 1921, page 31b,
of George Napper on 2 December 1922, page 24c,
of James Cram on 5 September 1925, page 45d,
of G.H. Napper on 8 January 1927, page 28a.
An obituary of Mrs Anne Burford is in the Register,
11 July 1912, page 6g,
of Charles E. Cowle on 21 March 1922, page 4h,
of George Napper on 30 November 1922, page 6i.
This subdivision fronting Mitchell and Regent Streets was taken from the name of an old home of the Wooldridge family which once stood on the land:
- For many years this beautiful property... has been the object of the longing glances of many would be home builders. [It is] within 270 yards of the Hyde Park tramway.
An obituary of Alexander Lorimer, of the Bella Vista Vineyard, is in the Register, 29 May 1875, page 4f:
Mr. Alexander Lorimer arrived with Mr. Murdoch, 'of near Nairne', in the Indus in 1839 and at the death of that gentleman a few years later he managed the estate. Afterwards he purchased a choice property between Hay Valley and Woodside which he names 'Ellerslie', and having planted a large vineyard he, in course of time, began winemaking. Later, he resided at Bella Vista vineyard, Goodwood, where he carried on his vintage operations in conjunction with his other property.
The property and garden are described in the Register,
23 July 1866, page 3d,
23 October 1880 (supp.), page 3c.
A subdivision of section 135, Hundred of Willunga by Richard Bell in 1854; now included in McLaren Vale. He was a publican at McLaren Vale and died there on 10 July 1855.
Information on its school is in the Advertiser, 23 January 1877, page 5e:
The President of the council said the school had been closed as there was another school at McLaren Vale, which was only a half a mile distant.
A small settlement, with a hotel of that name, on the main road from Mount Gambier to Port MacDonnell. The hotel was first licensed in 1869 by T. Wyatt. The Bellum Bellum Homestead of the Arthur brothers 'Mount Schank Station' was opposite the site of the hotel on section 31, Hundred of MacDonnell. They were the nephews of Governor Arthur of Tasmania who held that office from 1824 to 1836.
The Register of 26 March 1862 at page 4f advertises the "Township of Bellum" as a subdivision of sections 23, 24, 25, 32, 43, 46, 47 and 50, Hundred of MacDonnell: "... good land, good water, timber and a climate the healthy and invigorating nature of which has become a proverb...".
However, reference to the relevant certificates of title (see, eg, Volume 33 Folio 213 and Volume 35 Folio 29) shows that the township did not proceed beyond the "advertising" stage at that time; also see Register, 5 July 1878, page 5d.
Laid out on section 1A and part section 1, Hundred of Shannon in 1911 by Charles Edgar Cranston; now included in Yeelanna. It was named in honour of Isabella Smith, the wife of William Smith. She was 'a grand lady who became a friend to all who knew her, giving people a helping hand in times of trouble and despair, becoming a midwife and nurse when needed'
An obituary of Mrs Isabella M. Smith is in the Register,1 August 1927, page 11e:
Mrs Isabella Milne Smith died at Port Lincoln in 1927, aged 67. In 1891 she married William Morris Smith and in 1906 they went to reside in the Hundred of Shannon. She was the first white woman to live in the district and was widely known for her hospitality. Their home 'Bellwood' was 52 miles from Tumby Bay...