Place Names of South Australia - B
Bethel, Mount - Birdwood
- Bethel, Mount
- Beulah Estate
- Beulah Park
- Beviss, Lake
- Bews, Hundred of
- Bice, Hundred of
- Bickers Islands
- Biggs Flat
- Billiatt, Hundred of
Bethel, MountThe Observer of 8 October 1864, page 3e (supp.) reports that:
The laying of the foundation stone of Mount Bethel new Wesleyan Jubilee Chapel near Templers took place on 6 October 1864. The chapel grounds were decorated with evergreens and large flags, kindly lent by Mr. Percival of Gawler Railway Station....
Beulah EstateDetails of the sale of the subdivision are in the Register, 5 August 1912, page 6f.:
A large crowd assembled at Beulah Park on Saturday afternoon on the occasion of the subdivision sale of building sites. The estate, comprising about 33 acres, was acquired some months ago by a company registered under the name Beulah Park Limited, of which Mr. A. Melrose is chairman and Mr. J.G. Partridge the secretary. The property is situated at the junction of Magill and Gurr's Roads, while Beulah Road prior to the purchase of the land came to a sudden termination at the south-west corner of the estate...
The first subdivision of land in the area for residential purposes was made on section 288 circa 1851 and named 'Rosaville'. In December 1911 Beulah Park Ltd. purchased part section 288 and in August 1912 subdivided it into Beulah Park. At about the same time Joshua Gurr purchased Lots 1, 3, 5 and 7 of GRO 410 of 1855 (unnamed) and in December 1912 he sold part-lot 5 and lot 7 to The Minister Controlling Education, laying the remainder out as Beulah Estate. Beulah Road bisects the suburb and appears as such on early survey maps of Norwood.
Biographical details of Mrs M. Glacken are in the Register,
25 March 1919, page 4f,
of Miss Gertrude Madigan on
19 May 1926, page 8h,
1 June 1926, page 4d.
An obituary of R.M. Whitington is in the Register,
9 January 1920, page 7a,
of S. Sard on
5 October 1925, page 6g.
The township (now a suburb of Adelaide) was laid out for Edward Stephens by his attorney, John Morphett in 1849 on section 395, Hundred of Yatala when he advertised it as:
- Adjacent to Mr Gray's Half-Way house between the Port and Adelaide... good water at moderate depths, incomparable brick clay, an agreeable aspect and the reserves for places of public worship, schools and public squares, as also the extreme liberality of terms...
Its school opened in 1861 and closed in 1879; examinations are reported in the Express, 28 January 1874, page 3d:
The examination of the Beverley Commercial School was held on 26 January 1874 in the York Rechabite Hall, being more commodious than the school room for such an occasion... There were present 38 boys and 33 girls... William Poore, a little boy, gave a Christmas anthem on the clarionet (sic). Recitations and songs from the young people followed and were greatly applauded...
The laying of the foundation stone of the Primitive Methodist Chapel is reported in the Register,
27 September 1866, page 2.
Information on a Rechabite Hall is in the Register,
14 March 1867, page 2h.
The Register of 1 July 1881 at page 5b has a report of youths being convicted of "tin-kettling".
Also see essay under South Australia - Marriage & Divorce.
Information on its recreation ground is in the Register,
21 August 1905, page 4f.
Information on the Standard Tile Company is in the Register,
27 November 1919, page 4d.
Biographical details of Herbert Berry are in the Observer,
6 November 1926, page 20e.
Information on Holden's works is in the Observer,
13 August 1927, page 46e.
Also see Place Names - Holden Gardens.
Beverley - Obituaries
An obituary of J.T. Headdy is in the Register,
1 February 1892, page 4h,
6 February 1892, page 37b,
of Mrs W. Adams on 10 August 1903, page 4g,
of Charles Edson in the Register,
14 December 1911, page 6g,
of Herbert Berry on 2 November 1926, page 8h.
West of the southern extremity of Lake Torrens. John Beviss, a one time manager of Oakden Hills station.
The reminiscences of Mrs John Beviss are in the Register,
31 July 1896, page 6g and
Archibald Beviss, "A Pioneer Pastoralist", on
17 December 1902, page 6e.
The latter's obituary appears on
26 October 1926, page 9f.
Bews, Hundred of
David Bews, MP (1885-1891), one time Commissioner of Public Works. Born in Orkney, Scotland in 1850 he came to South Australia with his parents, who took up farming at Port Elliot in 1854. As a young man he worked as a clerk for the Kadina-Wallaroo Railway and was goods manager when it was taken over by the government. He served several terms as Mayor of Wallaroo and died in Melbourne in 1891, while representing South Australia at a postal convention. A monument was erected in his memory in Kadina in 1892.
Also see South Australia - Politics.
Biographical details of Mr Bews are in the Observer,
19 January 1889, page 33b,
23 August 1890, page 6d;
an obituary is in the Register,
24 February 1891, pages 4h-5h; also see
25 February 1891, page 5e,
7 March 1891, page 3f and
information on commemorative fountains at Wallaroo and Kadina in the Register,
27 January 1896, page 4h.
His wife's obituary is in the Register,
21 March 1908, page 9d,
28 March 1908, page 40e.
Bice, Hundred of
John G. Bice, MLC (1894-1923). Born in Cornwall in 1853 he came to South Australia in 1864 in the Eastern Empire. At age eleven he worked in the Moonta copper mine, before moving to Port Augusta in 1877. He was four times Chief Secretary and died in office in 1923, when he was given a State funeral.
Also see South Australia - Politics.
An interview with Mr Bice is reported in The Mail,
5 July 1913, page 8c;
biographical details are in the Weekly Herald,
9 November 1901, page 1,
24 May 1902, page 1a,
2 June 1923, page 13b and
an obituary in the Register,
10 November 1923, pages 8d-9e;
photographs of his funeral are in the Observer,
17 November 1923, page 27.
Bice Bay, south of Point Drummond was named in 1910 - see Advertiser,
21 January 1910, page 6e.
Named 'Bicker Isles' by Matthew Flinders on 25 February 1802 after a town in Lincolnshire which probably derives from the Old Scandinavian by-kiarr - 'the village marsh'. The corruption apparently occurred on 7 September 1942 when the Nomenclature Committee had under consideration appropriate names for strategical mapping purposes.
A banquet given in his honour is reported in the Register, 19 April 1878, page 5c:
At a dinner given in his honour in 1878, Captain Bickers said: Ï arrived here in 1847 in what was called then a fast ship - the Royal Archer - and among the passengers were the Harrold Brothers, then two young men. The Port was known as Joe Barnes' Mud Point... To show the progress made by South Australia the Royal Archer was the only vessel in harbour for a fortnight...
Biographical details of Captain Bickers are in the Register,
13 January 1894, page 5c,
4 January 1896, page 16d;
an obituary is in the Chronicle,
13 November 1897, page 22b,
13 November 1897, page 16d.
Guano deposits are described in the Advertiser,
21 July 1909, page 5g.
Also see South Australia - Mining - Miscellany.
In the Hundred of Kuitpo 5 km north of Echunga. Mr J. Biggs, a warden at the Echunga goldfield in the early 1850s.
Also see South Australia - Mining - Gold.
A "Rush to Biggs' Flat" is reported in the Register
10 March 1877, page 5e; also see
24 March 1877, page 6b and
13 April 1877, page 5g:
The site of the present rush is a flat lying on the western side of the Onkaparinga River between the Wheatsheaf Inn and the old Stirling reef workings which has been named Biggs's Flat... The present rush is at the southern end of the flat... The field is yet too young and operations too limited to judge with any degree of certainty...
"Gold Dredging at Mylor" is in the Advertiser,
8 June 1909, page 8b.
"A Ride for Life" is in the Observer,
10 February 1912, page 46a.
Photographs are in the Observer,
10 February 1912, page 30.
Billiatt, Hundred of
J.W. Billiatt, a member of John McD. Stuart's expedition in 1861-62.
Also see Place Names - Stuart.
His reminiscences are in the Advertiser,
29 July 1913, page 13a;
"Presentation to Stuart Survivor" is in the Observer,
31 May 1913, page 48b:
A public dinner was given in Mr. Billiatt's honour in 1913 - 'He possessed a piece of the pole on the northern coast upon which the explorers fixed the flag on 25 July 1862. That flag was not hoisted without considerable privations and hardships. They were as many as three days without water and had to cross the plains against dense dust blowing in their faces caused by what were known as hot winds, driving with hurricane force at times. Water was not their only need for on one occasion he went for five days on only 4 lb. of flour, 5 lb. of jerked horse and with a little tea and sugar. As they were returning from the expedition they left Stuart in the scrub, for he could no longer sit on horseback. Having found water they fetched him and brought him into the settled districts, a distance of some 600 miles...'
For notice of his death and an obituary see Register,
11 and 12 April 1919, pages 7b and 9d.
North of Olary. Aboriginal for 'pine tree water'. The Bimbowrie Post Office opened in 1885 'near Outalpa'.
A horse race meeting is reported in the Observer, 19 July 1873, page 4g:
As a consequence of many mines being started in the neighbourhood, 'Cousin Jack' must have a race meeting and one was held at the picturesque spot 10 miles from the head station on 7 July 1873. About 100 people were present including a few of the fair sex who graced the scene...
Also see South Australia - Sport - Horse Racing.
An account of gold mining in the area is in the Register,
26 April 1888, page 7a; also see
13 July 1888, page 6f.
Also see South Australia - Mining - Gold.
The pastoral lease is described in the Register,
8 and 12 August 1890, pages 5h and 6c,
9 and 14 September 1907, pages 8d and 10g; also see
22 September 1897, page 7a,
16 June 1911, page 3b.
17 June 1911, page 11d
An obituary of Edwin Crozier is in the Register,
23 November 1906, page 5c,
24 November 1906, page 23e.
"Pioneering of Bimbowrie" is in the Advertiser,
27 April 1937, page 21a.
The land comprising the Hundred was surveyed out of the old Kybybolite station by W.C. Gosse which, at that time, was leased to James Affleck (no. 163 of July 1851). Following the proclamation of the Hundred James Affleck purchased section 57, which contained the head station, for £2280. The name derives from an Aboriginal word meaning 'plenty of sheoaks'. The 'Binnum Run', lease no. 162 of 1851, was held by H. and D.O. Jones.
The school opened in 1879 and closed in 1912.
The sale of Binnum Estate is reported in the Observer, 30 March 1907, page 11c:
The Binnum Estate has been bought by the government for closer settlement. It was one of the old sheep runs and was selected originally by Messrs H. & D. Jones... In order to bring about permanent and successful settlement on that class of land it will be necessary for the government to allot it in large areas.
Biographical information on the Jones family is in the Register,
5 February 1925, page 8g, 28 April 1926, page 12b.
Until 1918 the town was known as 'Blumberg'. The Nomenclature Committee recommended that it be re-christened 'Perroomba', the name given to wattle blossom by the Kaurna (Adelaide) tribe. The Government, however, decided on Birdwood.
Also see Place Names - Blumberg.
Biographical details of General Birdwood are in the Register,
19 January 1920, page 7c.
The unveiling of a war memorial is reported on
14 February 1921, page 7i.
Also see South Australia - World War I - Memorials to the Fallen
"Great Soldier in Adelaide" is in the Advertiser,
3 March 1920, page 7c; also see
20 January 1920, page 7e,
16 March 1920, page 9,
15 September 1925, page 6e.
The diamond wedding of Mr & Mrs T. Lloyd is reported in the Register,
10 January 1925, page 8g.
A field naturalists excursion is reported in the Register,
9 June 1926, page 12f.
"An Honoured Town" is in the Register,
19 June 1926, page 9e; also see
29 June 1926, page 11a.
The golden wedding of Mr & Mrs Julius L.W. Wegener is reported in the Register,
25 August 1926, page 10h.
Biographical details of T. Lloyd are in the Observer,
1 January 1927, page 44d,
of James Foote in the Register,
6 July 1929, page 24a.
The golden wedding of Mr & Mrs John A. Pontt is reported in the Register,
17 February 1927, page 8g.
A report on a school show and sports is in the Chronicle,
28 April 1928, page 56;
photographs are in the Chronicle,
8 May 1930, page 37,
21 April 1932, page 33.
The opening of a high school is reported in the Advertiser,
13 December 1937, page 25d;
photographs are in the Chronicle,
16 December 1937, page 15a.
A resurgence of interest in gold seeking is reported in the Advertiser,
21 January 1931, page 8g,
25 February 1931, page 11f:Also see South Australia - Mining - Gold
It is claimed by a prospector with extensive experience that near Birdwood there are large quantities of ore which will yield gold in payable quantities. After an inspection of the field which is 32 miles from Adelaide, Mr. Percy Russell stated that the ore values were promising and steps should be taken immediately to work the deposits... A few men were on the field working with picks and shovels... On the subject of the Black Snake Mine records state that it was worked in 1887. Ten years later an English company resumed operations...
Birdwood - Obituaries
An obituary of Mrs J.H. Promnitz is in the Observer,
9 August 1919, page 14b,
of Elliot A. Theel (Thiel?) on 27 October 1928, page 50b.
An obituary of Mrs Theodor Pflaum is in the Register,
8 June 1926, page 8g,
of Mrs Wilhelmina Klose on 2 September 1926, page 8g,
of Mrs Anna A. Wilhelm on 21 September 1926, page 13f,
of Jethro Best on 9 April 1927, page 10f.