Place Names of South Australia - B
Black Hill - Blacker, Hundred of
Black HillParliamentary Paper 73/1872 shows the school near Nairne being conducted in a chapel by William Jenkinson with 23 enrolled pupils.
The Observer of
18 June 1870, page 5e says:
W. Jenkinson wrote that Mr. Smith, a settler at Meaford, had given a room for a school, 26 feet long, 11 broad and 13 high and the writer had made arrangements for furnishing.
A photograph of the opening of the Institute is in the Chronicle,
13 July 1912, page 30,
of school students on
24 August 1933, page 31.
Black HillsRecords of the Primitive Methodist Church show it as a chapel in the Mount Barker circuit.
It no doubt relates to "Black Hill" (see above).
The Register of
30 January 1886 at page 6e has a report of silver ore claims at Black Hills "16 miles south-east of Burra"; also see
9 and 11 February 1886, pages 7f and 6c;
a discovery of phosphate is reported on
9 March 1903, page 4e.
Also see South Australia - Mining - Miscellany.
A descriptive name applied to a physical feature in the Hundred of Muloowurtie 37 km south-east of Maitland. The Aborigines knew it as kudlaworti - lonely man', which name was adopted by Stephen Goldsworthy (c.1826-1897) on 10 October 1854 'at Black Point' (lease no. 384), because of his isolation from fellow white men.
The area is described in the Register,
21 January 1861, page 2e-f while a letter re a mineral discovery in which Mr Goldsworthy played a leading role is published on
28 January 1861, page 2b - see
4 December 1861, page 3d for a report on the "Goldsworthy Mining Co" and
Parliamentary Paper 124/1861 and 158/1861.
The discovery of a new oyster bed is reported in the Advertiser,
19 and 21 August 1886, pages 3f and 6f,
2 November 1886, page 7b.
Also see South Australia - Industries - Rural, Primary and Secondary - Fishing - Oysters and Crayfish.
A proposed quarantine station is reported in the Observer, 2 and 16 June 1877, pages 7f-9f-14b and 12b-20f:
The government has not yet decided upon adopting Black Point as a quarantine station. They have, however, taken the precaution of reserving a sufficient area of land in the neighbourhood for the purpose...
A public meeting was held at Stansbury on 9 June 1877 to consider what action to be taken in reference to the proposal for making Black Point a quarantine station....
Also see South Australia - Health - Quarantine.
A proposal to survey a town of "Black Point" in the Hundred of Barunga (sic) is discussed in the Chronicle, 29 September 1877, page 11b:
On 25 September 1877 a deputation waited on the Commissioner of Crown Lands and asked that a township might be surveyed and laid out at Black Point, Hundred of Barunga [sic]...
A town 19 km south-east of Orroroo was laid out in 1881 as 'Dalton' and proclaimed on 15 December 1881; the present name was adopted in 1940 and originally applied to a hill in the area by Captain E.C. Frome in 1842.
The Black Rock Run is described by the lessee, John Williams, in Parliamentary Paper 57/1865-66, page 18.
The Black Rock School opened in 1880 and became "Black Rock Plain" in 1941; closed in 1952.
An Arbor Day is reported in the Chronicle,
9 August 1890, page 12d:
The children attending the Black Rock Public School celebrated Arbor Day yesterday. A portion of the school ground had previously been prepared by the order of the Board of Advice, and trees, consisting of peppermint and sugar gum varieties, had been obtained... To encourage the children to take some care of the trees during the coming year Mr. W. Edson and the Hon. W. Copley offered some small prizes to be given to the children whose trees were the best grown on next Arbor day. Oranges and other refreshments were provided for all present...
Also see South Australia - Education - Arbor Days and Chronicle
21 October 1893, page 21g;
for a "Hoisting the Flag" ceremony see
25 May 1901, page 19d.
Also see South Australia - Miscellany - Flags and Patriot Songs
A photograph of students is in the Chronicle,
10 August 1933, page 33.
Information on early settlers in the Hundred of Black Rock Plain is in the Register,
17 March 1882, page 5e.
Black Rock Plain is described on
29 October 1885, page 7a and
the town and district in the Advertiser,
1 June 1899, page 5c.
Information on a water supply for the Black Rock Plain is in the Observer,
11 October 1884, page 31b.
Also see South Australia - Water Conservation.
The diamond wedding of Mr & Mrs George Blencowe is reported in the Observer,
5 January 1907, page 34a.
Information on "Heron Swamp" is in the Register,
26 July 1912, page 6h.
Black SpringsInformation on a Primitive Methodist Chapel "near the source of the Dirty Light" and "about nine miles below Black Springs" is in the Register,
7 August 1858, page 2g; also see
25 May 1859, page 3g.
The "Karkulto Mine" is described in the Register,
23 December 1861, page 3a.
Also see South Australia - Mining - Coal.
A horse race meeting is reported in the Chronicle,
2 March 1867, page 7a.
Also see South Australia - Sport - Horse Racing.
A ploughing match is reported in the Chronicle,
31 August 1872, page 5a.
Also see South Australia - Industries - Rural, Primary and Secondary - Ploughing Matches.
A photograph of four generations the White family is in the Observer,
20 May 1911, page 27.
An obituary of Henry Dunn is in the Observer,
22 July 1916, page 19e.
Black SwampAlso see Mount Compass.
Near Mount Compass. It is described in the Register,
15 November 1887, page 7c:
It commences at Mount Compass and runs into the Finniss which discharges into Lake Alexandrina.
25 February 1888, page 10d,
22 March 1888, page 6f,
7 April 1888, page 23c.
The Observer of
30 July 1898, page 15e reports on "Eschol Farm" and the Register of
23 October 1899 at page 3e says:
North Adelaide Blind School secured land at Black Swamp on the Finniss for farming operations, principally to cultivate osiers for the basketware manufacture at the institution...
17 March 1902, page 7i for a description of "Eschol Farm".
Also see North Adelaide.
"More Irrigation - Black Swamp to be Drained" is in the Advertiser,
23 November 1922, page 11g; also see
24 March 1923, page 14a.
Also see South Australia - Industries - Rural, Primary and Secondary - Irrigation.
Blacker, Hundred of
W.J. Blacker, MP (1892-1913). He died in 1913 aged 70.
- Also see South Australia - Politics.
Biographical details are in the Observer,
19 November 1892, page 33b,
19 April 1893, page 7b,
28 April 1896, page 6f and
his obituary on
24 November 1913, page 6h.
- He was a rugged speaker and made no attempt at rhetoric, but he had a spontaneous eloquence which was always ensured a hearing and his utterances in the House were greatly enjoyed.