3 Blackfellows Creek - Blackwood Gully
State Library of South Australia
Manning Index of South Australian History
  • South Australia
  • Adelaide
  • Port Adelaide
  • Place Names
  •  

  • About the Index
  • Searching
  • Text-based menus
    (Use this option if your browser will not open the folders.)

    Place Names of South Australia - B

    Blackwood - Blackwood Gully

    Blackwood

    Nomenclature

    Prior to 1880 the village consisted of a few huts and a small wooden shanty hotel owned by Robert Burford (or Burfield - various records spell his name both ways). He later built stone additions to his premises named the 'Blackwood Inn' - the small stone portions of a few rooms and the cellar are now part of the Belair Hotel. The name was adopted from either the Blackwood (Acacia melanoxylon), which grows in small clumps in the Mount Lofty Ranges or the Peppermint Box (Eucalyptus odorata), which occurs locally and has a dark bark.

    General Notes

    Mr R. Nutt's sawmill is described in the Register,
    30 July 1868, page 3b; also see
    19 December 1868, page 2e.
    Also see South Australia - Industries - Rural, Primary and Secondary - Forestry.

    The Register of
    29 October 1878, page 5b has a report of Robert Burfield:

    His "Blackwood Farm" is described on
    7 October 1884, page 8c.

    The district is described in the Register,
    23 October 1883, page 5b.
    A history of the district is in the Chronicle,
    13 July 1933, page 50; also see
    20 July 1933, page 44.

    Information on a "steam brickmaking company" is in the Express,
    11 March 1884, page 2d.
    A description of the brickworks is in the Register,
    14 April 1886, page 5c; also see
    Express,
    14 April 1886, page 3e,
    13 September 1886, page 4a,
    2 October 1886, page 2e,
    Advertiser,
    13 September 1886, page 6e,
    Express,
    21 October 1896, page 2d,
    Register,
    14 October 1898, page 6h.
    Also see South Australia - Industries - Rural, Primary and Secondary - Building Stone.

    A field naturalists' excursion is reported in the Register,
    16 August 1887, page 7f,
    20 August 1895, page 7g,
    22 August 1899, page 3e,
    16 October 1900, page 5d,
    18 August 1903, page 3h,
    29 September 1908, page 7i,
    27 October 1913, page 8f.

    The Coro Bacon Curing and Butter Making Factory near Blackwood is described in the Observer,
    2 August 1890, page 11d.
    Also see South Australia - Industries - Rural, Primary and Secondary - Dairying.

    A local option poll is discussed in the Register,
    6 November 1897, page 3h and
    the opening of a hall on
    3 May 1904, page 8b.
    Also see South Australia - Social Matters - Temperance and Related Matters.

    "Projected Hotel at Blackwood" is in the Register,
    15 December 1897, page 4h.

    The opening of a hall is reported in the Observer,
    24 December 1898, page 16a.

    Military sports are reported upon in the Observer,
    24 November 1900, page 31d,
    Register,
    16 March 1908, page 3h and
    a sports day in the Chronicle,
    3 February 1906, page 14a.

    A photograph of the opening of the Blackwood Hall is in the Chronicle,
    7 May 1904, page 43.

    The inaugural floral and industrial exhibition is reported in the Register,
    15 October 1907, page 6h,
    a flower show on
    31 October 1910, page 10d.
    The first autumn fruit and flower show is reported in the Register,
    23 March 1920, page 4d.
    A photograph of a flower show is in the Observer,
    2 November 1929, page 32,
    Also see South Australia - Agricultural, Floricultural & Horticultural Shows.

    Biographical details of Joseph Turner are in the Register,
    1 January 1908, page 6h,
    of Mrs Mary A. Simmons on 23 November 1910, page 8f.

    A photograph of a railwayman's cottage is in the Chronicle,
    29 May 1909, page 31.

    Information on an experimental orchard is in the Register,
    5 February 1910, page 15f.
    The State Experimental Orchard is described in the Register,
    19 May 1922, page 7d;
    photographs are in the Observer,
    23 February 1924, page 32.
    Also see South Australia - Industries - Rural, Primary and Secondary - Fruit and Vegetables.

    "Site for Minda" is in the Register,
    27 April 1910, page 6f.
    Also see Place Names - Brighton.

    "Patriotic Carnival"is in the Register,
    29 January 1917, page 6h,
    "Life in the Hills" on
    5 November 1921, page 5c.
    Photographs of the carnival are in the Chronicle,
    3 February 1917, page 27.

    "Moving the Parish Hall" is in the Observer,
    6 June 1914, page 19a.

    "A Hills Elysium [Edward Ashby's garden]" is in the Observer,
    1 August 1914, page 14b.
    "A Garden in the Hills" (Wittunga) is in the Register,
    4 February 1928, page 10c;
    "Mr Edwin Ashby's Treasure Ground" in the Observer,
    11 February 1928, page 19a; also see
    The News,
    25 May 1932, page 11a.

    A report on and photographs of St John's Parish Hall are in the Observer,
    14 and 31 October 1914, pages 35d and 28,
    of a brass band on
    11 June 1921, page 26.

    Photographs of a Repatriation Day carnival are in The Critic,
    31 January 1917, page 14.
    Also see South Australia - World War I - Repatriation.

    "Fruit Packing at Blackwood" is in the Register,
    18 March 1918, page 7a,
    Observer,
    23 March 1918, page 4a.
    Also see South Australia - Industries - Rural, Primary and Secondary - Fruit and Vegetables.

    The opening of cool stores is reported in the Advertiser,
    28 March 1921, page 6g.

    Biographical details of Clement A. Harris are in the Register,
    21 October 1921, page 9a.

    "Life in the Hills" is in the Register,
    5 November 1921, page 5c.

    A jubilee of a Methodist church is reported upon in the Register,
    12 August 1909, page 9f.
    "Methodism at Blackwood" is in the Register,
    20 April 1922, page 8c.
    Information on the Methodist Church is in The News,
    28 August 1928, page 14c and
    Also see South Australia - Religion - Methodist and Wesleyan.

    Information on a proposed school is in The News,
    24 August 1926, page 10e; it opened in 1929; see
    Advertiser,
    29 March 1929, page 5f.

    Biographical details of Mrs Lucy Coleman are in the Register,
    10 May 1922, page 6h,
    of Mrs S. Summers on 15 May 1926, page 8i,
    of Joseph Turner on 6 December 1927, page 10a.
    The reminiscences of Joseph Turner are in the Observer,
    10 December 1927, page 65d.

    Information on its water supply is in the Register,
    29 July 1922, page 6g.
    Also see Adelaide - Water Supply.

    "Horses in Action" is in the Register,
    12 October 1922, page 10f.

    A photograph of the unveiling of a war memorial is in the Observer,
    18 June 1921, page 25.
    The opening of a Memorial Reserve is reported in the Register,
    23 December 1924, page 3h.
    Photographs are in the Observer,
    27 December 1924, page 34.
    Also see South Australia - World War I - Memorials to the Fallen.

    A photograph of a ladies' hockey team is in The Critic,
    18 July 1923, page 18.
    Also see South Australia - Sport - Hockey.

    "Bathing Tragedy [in Sturt River]" is in the Register
    10 and 11 October 1927, pages 9g and 10 (photo.).

    "Blackwood Radio Club" is in the Register,
    17 and 31 May 1928, pages 12b and 12f.
    Also see South Australia - Communications - Wireless and Radio.

    The opening of a Scout Hall is reported in the Advertiser,
    29 April 1929, page 10h.
    Also see Adelaide - Boy Scouts.

    The opening of the golf links is reported in the Chronicle,
    17 July 1930, page 37,
    Observer,
    17 July 1930, page 32,
    Also see South Australia - Sport - Golf
    of members of Toc H on
    4 June 1936, page 36.

    Blackwood - Obituaries

    An obituary of William Liston is in the Register,
    13 and 14 August 1901, pages 5c and 4i,
    of Mrs Jane Hughes on 19 July 1902, page 7d, Observer,
    26 July 1902, page 21c,
    of Cornelius Proud on 21 October 1905, page 38d,
    of Isaac Turner, strawberry grower, on 29 December 1906, page 38a,
    of E.H. Webb, school teacher, on 27 May 1911, page 39a,
    of Mrs T.C.A. Magarey on 10 August 1912, page 41b,
    of J.S.O. Allen on 25 October 1913, page 41c,
    of D.J. Hewett on 16 August 1924, page 38a,
    of Joseph W. Hilton on 1 December 1925, page 8i.

    An obituary of Mrs John Thring is in the Register,
    7 February 1911, page 6i,
    of E.Webb on 22 May 1911, page 6g.

    An obituary of Mrs W.J. Adey is in the Register,
    1 September 1915, page 8g,
    of Daniel J. Hewitt, builder, on 12 August 1924, page 10e,
    of M.C.G. Miller on 10 April 1926, page 14a,
    of Mrs J.H. Cheetham on 15 November 1926, page 13f,
    of G.S. Deas on 27 December 1928, page 7h.

    Blackwood Creek - Blackwood Gully
    B
    Place Names

    Blackwood Flat

    Parliamentary Paper 26/1875 shows the school in the Hundred of Caroline being conducted in a chapel by Alexander M Riddock;
    it opened in 1869 as "Blackwood";
    name changed in 1870 and closed in 1875.

    The Observer of 19 August 1871, page 11d mentions a property called "Blackwoods" owned by Mr J. Ingleby.

    Blackfellows Creek - Blackwood Gully
    B
    Place Names

    Blackwood Gully

    A report of a gold discovery is in the Observer,
    27 June 1874, page 7d; also see
    Register,
    29 June 1886, page 5a,
    13, 18 and 20 September 1886, pages 4h, 5c and 6c,
    8 April 1887, page 5c.
    Also see South Australia - Mining - Gold.

    Information on a school is in the Observer,
    4 June 1887, page 29e.

    "The Paint Mines at Blackwood Gully" is in the Register,
    18 March 1889, page 7f:

    Blackwood Creek - Blackwood Gully
    B