Place Names of South Australia - B
Burgoyne, Hundred of - Bywell
- Burgoyne, Hundred of
- Burleeyung Cave
- Burr, Mount
- Burslem Hill
- Burtt Crossing
- Butcher Soak
- Butler Bridge
- Buttamuck Hill
- Buxton, County of
Burgoyne, Hundred of
Thomas Burgoyne, MP (1884-1915). Born in June 1827 in Wales he came to South Australia in 1849 in the Royal Sovereign. After an unsuccessful jaunt to the Victorian goldfields he went to Port Augusta in 1856 and erected the first permanent building there.
Also see South Australia - Politics.
Biographical details of Thomas Burgoyne are in the Register,
27 June 1889, page 5f,
14 April 1890, page 6a,
31 May 1902, page 1a,
4 June 1907, page 6g;
a photograph is in the Chronicle,
8 June 1907, page 29.
His reminiscences are in the Register on
10 June 1907, page 7a and
11 June 1910, page 13c,
20 February 1915, page 10b,
10 June 1915, page 5a:
When I entered Parliament agricultural lands were sold by auction. Men without capital had no chance of success. The land agents dominated the situation and those who wanted land had to purchase it second-hand. There was a "ring" and I set out to destroy it.
23 November 1912, page 38d.
An interview with him is reported in The Mail,
26 April 1913, page 8c,
12 February 1916, page 4g;
his obituary is in the Register on
24 March 1920, page 8g.
The Hundred of Burgoyne school opened in 1926 and was changed to "Kowulka" in 1928; it closed in 1940.
Burleeyung CaveThis cave "about 16 miles south of Burra" is described in the Register, 8 January 1861, page 3g:
It lies about 16 miles south of Burra between Mr. McDonald's station and the Adelaide Road... The mouth of the cave is a hole, oval in shape, about five feet long, 2½ feet wide and twenty feet deep. Descending this shaft we found ourselves in a tolerably wide chamber... Having rested ourselves, and procured some of the most beautiful specimens of stalactite, we proceeded through small apertures into other chambers and the further we penetrated the more beautiful did they appear...
BurnbankA school of this name at Mt Barker Springs is mentioned in the Observer,
12 October 1861, page 1g (supp.),
7 October 1862, page 3e:
A public meeting was held in the school room at Burnbank in October 1861 to consider what steps should be taken towards the erection of a school room and teacher's residence.
A railway station 8 km west of Mount Gambier. Aboriginal for 'stony place'; freestone for building purposes is found in the area. Its former name was 'Coralite'.
An obituary of Samuel W. Mansell is in the Register,
17 August 1928, page 13b.
It has been recorded that Peter Anderson (1808-1880) arrived in South Australia in 1839, 'with a letter of introduction from Sir James Fergusson of Archerfield, Scotland. He had a land grant and selected a block with the Second Creek running through it and built a house - this he called Burnside'. A search at the General Registry Office revealed that he leased section 320, Hundred of Adelaide from the SA Company. On 27 January 1848 he assigned his lease in respect of sixty-seven acres to William Randall (1820-1898) who, on 27 October 1850, registered the purchase of the freehold of section 320 from the SA Company and on the same day sold Lot 25 to F.A. McPherson for £56. This memorial recites 'which section has been subdivided by William Randall and laid out as the village of Burnside'.
In respect of its nomenclature the Express of 4 January 1898, page 2d says:
Mr. William Randall was the first [sic] to occupy land now known as Burnside which he purchased as an 80-acre section and gave it its present name. He took up several other properties among which was the beautiful estate of Randalsea at Second Valley. Later he was appointed clerk of the local courts at Port Pirie and Redhill...
An inquest at the hotel is reported in the Observer,
27 April 1867, page 4b.
The school opened in 1869; see Register,
24 January 1871, page 6b,
14 August 1872, page 5b,
8 January 1873, page 6c.
"Typhoid Fever and the Burnside School" is the subject of a letter in the Register on
14 July 1883, page 7b.
A report of an inspection of the school by the Health Department appears on
3 June 1887, page 3e; also see
27 June 1888, page 3f,
19 February 1907, page 1g,
19 October 1907, page 8g,
26 October 1907, page 14a,
26 February 1923, page 11a,
28 May 1923, page 16g,
3 March 1923, pages 38c-39b,
21 June 1926, page 11a.
A photograph of the opening of the memorial gates is in the Chronicle,
26 June 1926, page 39, Also see South Australia - World War I - Memorials to the Fallen
of a school fair committee on
1 December 1928, page 38.
"Shocking Murder at Burnside" is in the Chronicle,
4 January 1873, page 6a.
A description of the district in the 1840s is given in the Register,
13 February 1878, page 5g.
Information on its water supply is in the Express,
20 January 1880, page 3g,
30 June 1883, page 6e,
15 December 1883, page 2b,
15 February 1899, page 4b,
28 March 1906, page 3h.
Pollution of the reservoir is reported on
16 May 1884, page 4h.
Also see Adelaide - Water Supply.
Information on a Catholic orphanage is in the Register,
30 March 1880, page 5c,
4 March 1882, page 33d.
A proposed tramway is discussed in the Register,
11 May 1882, page 5a.
Information on the tram service is in the Express,
15 June 1883, page 2b,
8 March 1893, page 7h;
complaints about it are in the Advertiser,
3 and 5 May 1921, pages 9f and 9g.
Also see Adelaide - Transport.
The need for a post office is canvassed in the Register,
26 November 1883, page 4g and
14 November 1883, page 6d.
On 2 October 1884 on page 7b the Register has information on divining for water by Mr Gerber of Burnside - this report prompted a spate of letters which contain interesting information: see
3, 7, 14, 16, 18, 21 and 27 October 1884, pages 7e, 6e, 7a, 2e (supp.), 7d, 7f and 7b,
5, 10, 19 and 26 November 1884, pages 2b (supp.), 3e, 7d and 7f,
4 December 1884, page 6h,
26 October 1892, page 5b.
Mr A.H.R. Gerber's obituary appears on
6 March 1894, page 5b.
"Artesian Water at Burnside" is in the Register,
1 December 1890, page 3f.
Place Names - Quorn
South Australia - Miscellany - Water Divining and Rain Making.
The golden wedding of Mr & Mrs Rendall is reported in the Register,
7 August 1886, page 5c.
The laying of the foundation stone of a new Anglican church is reported in the Advertiser,
11 January 1887; also see Express,
6 May 1887, page 3c.
The opening of St David's Church Hall is reported in the Register,
12 December 1894, page 6f.
The suburb is described in the Observer,
24 September 1887, page 33d,
Parliamentary Paper 67/1888 and
2 December 1911, page 6c.
The reminiscences of L.C.E. Gee appear on
20 January 1927, page 10g.
Photographs are in the Observer,
3 March 1923, page 27.
Flooding of the district is reported in the Register,
24 April 1889, page 6d,
15 February 1897, page 5f.
Also see South Australia - Natural Disasters - Floods.
A proposed Institute is discussed in the Register,
20, 23, 24, 25 and 27 July 1891, pages 5a, 6c, 6d, 7d and 7c.
Information on St David's Hall is in the Register,
22 March 1893, page 5d.
"A Fatal Fight" is in the Chronicle,
11 November 1893, page 23e,
"Drowned in [a hotel] Well" is in the Observer,
19 October 1901, page 31a.
The golden wedding of Mr & Mrs George Inglis is reported in the Register,
6 December 1911, page 13c.
An explosion at Dunstan's quarry is reported in the Register,
17 April 1912, page 10a,
20 April 1912, page 42a.
"Tragic Quarry Explosion" is in the Chronicle,
2 March 1929, page 52.
Biographical details of J.D. Woods are in the Register,
11 March 1913, page 6i.
Information on street lighting is in the Register,
7 April 1914, page 8c.
"Cloudburst at Burnside" is in the Advertiser,
26 June 1915, page 15c.
The golden wedding of Mr & Mrs A. Anderson is reported in the Register,
2 October 1913, page 8a.
Biographical details of John Crocker are in the Register,
10 July 1915, page 12g.
A "poisoning epidemic" at a Sunday school picnic is reported upon in the Register,
31 January 1917, page 4f.
"A District's Development - Chat With Mr Peter Wood" is in the Register,
4 July 1918, page 7b.
Photographs of the unveiling of a roll of honour is in the Observer,
22 March 1919, page 28,
of a memorial on
23 April 1921, page 24.
A proposed soldiers' memorial is discussed in the Register,
28 July 1919, page 4d,
5 August 1919, page 4f,
20 September 1919, page 8f,
11 October 1919, page 8f,
23 December 1919, page 6h,
20 and 30 January 1920, pages 6e and 6f,
24 February 1920, page 4e,
8 September 1920, page 6h,
1 November 1920, page 9e,
13 and 18 April 1921, pages 6i and 7a,
21 June 1922, page 6f.
"Soldiers' Memorial Avenues" is in the Register,
19 and 21 July 1919, pages 8f and 7e.
Also see South Australia - World War I - Memorials to the Fallen.
A sale of 28 housing allotments at "The Pines, Burnside Road" is discussed in the Register,
17 July 1919, page 4d.
"The Burnside Hills" is in the Register,
4 December 1920, page 11e,
"Burnside - Memories of Old Days" on
26 and 27 February 1923, pages 10 and 12b,
"Progress of Burnside" on
29 June 1928, page 12c.
"The Burnside Tragedy" is in the Register,
12 January 1924, page 9g.
"Rapid Growth of Burnside District" is in The News,
8 April 1925, page 8c.
Information on James Gartrell's "Fernilee House" is in the Register,
24 June 1926, page 5e.
The reminiscences of L.C.E. Gee are in the Register,
20 January 1927, page 10g.
"Council History" is in the Advertiser,
17 May 1935, page 22h.
A photograph of dog catchers is in the Chronicle,
2 April 1936, page 37.
Also see Adelaide.
Burnside - Obituaries
An obituary of James Archibald is in the Register,
22 February 1892, page 4h,
of Mrs E. Gartrell on 3 August 1895, page 5c,
of Mrs Isabella Cockburn on 27 June 1899, page 5a,
of Mrs Mary K. Frew on 3 June 1902, page 4g,
of Mrs G.C. Black on 7 July 1902, page 4g.
An obituary of Mrs Degenhardt is in the Register,
1 August 1903, page 7d,
Observer, 8 August 1903, page 34a,
of Mrs Marie E. Mumme on 14 May 1904, page 34a,
of Mrs Anne Warland on 28 March 1908, page 40e.
An obituary of Timothy O'Connell, headmaster, is in the Register,
12 October 1903, page 4g,
of Mrs Marie E. Mumme on 12 May 1904, page 4i,
of Dr A.E.J. Russell on 15 June 1905, page 5b,
of N.A. Knox on 2 March 1908, page 5a,
of Miss C.E. Clark on 21 November 1911, page 9a,
of John Crocker on 14 April 1916, page 4g,
of Richard G. Allen on 23 June 1925, page 8h,
of Samuel Rodgers on 18 July 1925, page 13e,
of Mrs Edith C. Knox on 6 December 1926, page 8h,
of Clement H. Rudd on 13 April 1927, page 11c.
An obituary of Charles A. Richardson is in the Register,
2 August 1928, page 13b.
Mount Burr in the South-East was named by Governor Grey in 1844 on a trip to Rivoli Bay. He was accompanied by Thomas Burr, who gave an account of the expedition in the Southern Australian on 18 June 1844. He said,
- ... we made the summit of the range, the principal summit of which His Excellency has done me the honour to call after my father.
A horse race meeting is reported in the Express,
7 January 1864, page 3e.
Also see South Australia - Sport - Horse Racing.
The tribulations of a government labourer in the district are traversed in the Advertiser, 15 July 1868, page 2c:
When I arrived here we had to join in gangs, some six men and some three. Then we got our work, when we had to make wurleys to sleep in, until we got tents. So many men coming up, there were no tents nor tools for the men. Barrows and planks were also short. We were working for two weeks, and I saw that I could make fair wages; but the rain coming on flooded us all out and we had to wait for a few days till we got shifted... The water is running like the River Torrens. All the men are idle...
"The Mount Burr Pines" is in the Register,
14 July 1914, page 9f,
24 September 1914, page 5e,
3 October 1914, page 49d.
A proposal to sell the government forest is reported in the Register,
19 and 20 May 1926, pages 9g and 9d.
"SA's Forestry Inheritance" is in The Mail,
21 March 1931, page 18.
The opening of the saw mill is reported on
16 May 1931, page 12e; also see
7 May 1932, page 3b.
Also see South Australia - Industries - Rural, Primary and Secondary - Forestry.
Its school opened in 1934.
In 1868, William Lakin discovered copper on what is now section 403, Hundred of Yaranyacka, near Tumby Bay and in 1871 he sold his mineral lease to the Burrawing Copper Mining Company which was eventually liquidated in 1875. A settlement grew adjacent to the mine and a licence to conduct a school was granted to Thomas Sweetman in 1873.
Also see South Australia - Mining - Copper.
Information on the mine is in the Express,
2 November 1871, page 2c,
28 August 1872, page 2f:
The mine is about seven miles by road from Tumby Bay and was opened several years ago. Till recently it was worked by Mr. Carlin and the ore raised is sent to the smelting works at Port Adelaide, the stuff averaging over 30% of pure copper. Later, a company was formed and the engine and plant of the Kanappa mine were purchased and fixed at Burrawing...
Also see Chronicle,
9 May 1874, page 7c,
24 May 1884, page 41b,
18 November 1898, page 6g.
"The Burrawing Stoppage" is in the Express,
8 May 1874, page 3e,
15 and 16 June 1874, pages 3f and 3a.
The mine and others in the vicinity are described in the Chronicle,
1 February 1873, page 13a,
18 November 1898, page 6g.
A sports day is reported in the Register,
15 January 1874, page 6e.
"Meeting at Burrawing" is in the Register,
1 July 1884, page 6a.
The former Burrawing Hotel was once the head station of War(r)atta Vale -
see photograph in the Observer,
23 January 1909, page 31.
A railway station 22 km west of Mount Gambier. Its post office opened in January 1893 and closed on 26 January 1927. Aboriginal for 'currant bush' and also the name of a legendary Aboriginal hero who destroyed an evil spirit.
This school was opened as "Benara" in 1894 and had its name changed in 1896; closed in 1970.
On section 1800, Hundred of Kondoparinga. Francis Henry Burslem, a surveyor, who was responsible for the 'Green-Hills Special Survey' in the Macclesfield district in 1841.
Mr Burslem's movements after leaving the Survey Department are outlined in the Southern Australian,
17 September 1841, page 1c,
19 November 1841, page 1e:
F.H. Burslem, formerly of the Royal Military Academy, Woolwich, and late an officer in the 9th and 40th regiments of foot, begs to announce that in a consequence of a reduction in the Survey Department, in which he was engaged, he has accepted the management of the Royal Hotel and Bush Club House, Franklin Street... Mr. F.G. Andrews store on the acre will afford country settlers a great facility for obtaining provisions and every requisite for the supply of their stations...
Mr. Burslem begs to announce that he has purchased the property lately occupied by Mr. Bristow, on the beach, three miles below Glenelg, consisting of a hotel and boarding house known by the name of Marino... He has a cart which will be in Adelaide every day for fresh meat, etc., Milk will be supplied from his own cows and the garden is well stocked with vegetables and fruit. Excellent fish are constantly obtained and game of most kinds are abundant in the neighbourhood... A laundress who resides within a short distance will call for linen twice a week.
An 1870 subdivision of part section 261, Hundred of Saddleworth by John Charles, farmer of Saddleworth; now included in Manoora.
The school near Salisbury opened in 1860 and closed in 1950;
Parliamentary Paper 36/1873 shows the school being conducted in a chapel by William Diment with 43 enrolled pupils.
School examinations are reported in the Register, 30 September 1862, page 3e:
The annual public examination of the Burton School, near Salisbury, conducted by Mr. and Mrs Tupper came off on 26 September 1862... The following is the prize list: Edward Carslake, W. Short, Martha Barton, Albert Short, Alfred Short, Anne Harper, Georgina White and George laming.
The Register of 2 January 1904, page 8b says that "Bolivar" is "really known to officialdom as Burton..."
The Burton correspondent of the Register reported on 18 March 1871, page 7b that:
It seems strange that the railway station should retain the name of Manoora when it is patent to all observers that the leading and most thriving township is Burton, which is only separated from the station by the length of a chain...
...Chinkford, Manoora and Burton will do well to stop their sparring and adopt one name... they are sufficiently near to be considered by outsiders as one township.
Near Lake Torrens, named by B.H. Babbage 'from the name of the person who pointed it out to me'. Most probably William Burtt of Mt Arden station which lies south of Lake Torrens adjacent to the crossing. William Burtt married the daughter of Malcolm Gillies, a prominent pastoralist who held many leases in northern areas from 1851.
Information on Corporal Burtt, to whom Rodney Cockburn suggests its nomenclature alludes, is to be found in the Register, 24 August 1858, page 2f.
The Register of 13 December 1858 at page 3b reproduces the journal of Corporal Alfred P. Burtt in respect of a journey to Mount Nor-West and country to the west of it:
The stages immediately before him [B.H. Babbage] are easy and the advance of his camp will be unattended with risk of difficulty - namely from the Elizabeth to the new station forming by Mr. Smith, where there is plenty of water.... thence to a water hole lying northward... That is the most distant point which Mr. Burrt has visited, but the blacks have assured him of water at similar stages for 200 miles further.
Also see Mole Hill and Parliamentary Paper 151/1858.
William Butcher, pastoralist.
The soak is described in the Observer,
23 March 1912, page 14d:
To determine the supply of water in the rockhole, Mr. Redman of the Engineer-in-Chief's Department, has made an inspection of the locality. He found the water in the rockhole to be a soakage and not connected with underground streams... Mr. Redman, who is an authority on Aboriginal nomenclature, took the liberty of altering the name Butcher's Soak to Pichinga, the native name for the place of pines. The new title was written on a board and nailed to a tree close by. He was struck with the numbers and the remarkable variety of parrots, as well as the extreme tameness of the birds...
Its Aboriginal name was pichinga - see Register,
31 July 1912, page 11e - which, no doubt, was corrupted to "Peebinga".
The school opened in 1922 and changed its name to "Peebinga" in 1927.
The town was surveyed by H. Jacob in September 1883 and proclaimed on 13 March 1884. It derived its name from 'Bute Island' in the Firth of Clyde, Scotland.
The school opened in 1886; see Register,
21 April 1893, page 5c,
17 July 1911, page 11e,
22 July 1911, page 16b.
"The Bute Club Case" is in the Express,
19 February 1891, page 3d,
21 March 1891, page 4g.
A field trial is reported in the Chronicle,
3 August 1895, page 22d,
3 August 1895, page 30d,
21 August 1897, page 4a,
10 August 1906, page 8g,
15 August 1908, page 2f.
A field trial is reported in the Register on
11 August 1923, page 7c -
the first trial in 1895 is recalled on
20 August 1923, page 7e,
19 August 1927, page 12f.
The town and district are described in the Chronicle,
17 June 1899, page 19a,
4 December 1909, page 50a and
its water supply in the Advertiser,
26 August 1886, page 3e,
2 November 1891, page 7b.
"Between the Hummocks and the Sea - In and Around Bute" is in the Register,
10 August 1906, page 7c; also see
29 November 1909, page 7b-d-e.
"Government Red Tape - Building a Police Station" is in the Advertiser,
23 October 1909, page 17c; also see
29 November 1909, page 6f.
Also see South Australia - Police.
A photograph of the football team is in the Chronicle,
4 December 1909, page 32,
a "large" load of wheat on
1 April 1911, page 30.
Information on the post office is in the Observer,
4 December 1909, page 42e.
Also see South Australia - Communications - Mail and Postal.
Biographical details of M. McCormack are in the Register,
12 December 1910, pages 3e-6g.
The opening of a new Institute is reported in the Observer,
22 March 1913, page 17a.
Biographical details of Mr Yelland are in the Register,
13 March 1919, page 4d.
Jubilee celebrations are reported in the Advertiser,
28 September 1935, page 18a.
The opening of a soldiers' memorial hall is reported in the Register,
17 February 1923, page 14d.
Photographs are in the Chronicle,
3 March 1923, page 34,
10 October 1935, page 33.
Also see South Australia World War I - Memorials to the Fallen.
A photograph of a motor car bogged on the main road to Snowtown is in the Chronicle,
1 September 1923, page 34.
Also see South Australia - Transport - Motor Cars and Cycles.
"Sensation at Bute" is in the Observer,
16 and 23 January 1926, pages 28a and 43,
13 March 1926, pages 35a-39a.
A proposed hospital is discussed in the Register,
27 October 1926, page 11d.
The introduction of electricity is reported in the Observer,
6 August 1927, page 7b:
A crowd assembled at the power house of the Border Electric Company, Bute, to take part in the opening ceremony of electric light for the town. Just after eight o'clock the light was switched on by the Chairman of the Ninnes District Council, W.H. Sharman...
Bute - Obituaries
An obituary of John Thomas is in the Register,
13 August 1903, page 4i,
of James Watson on 15 May 1909, page 4e,
of J.C.A. Schroeter (Schroeder?) on 3 October 1925, page 10i,
of Mrs Adelaide McDonald on 5 November 1925, page 13a.
An obituary of James Trengrove is in the Observer,
2 October 1909, page 15b,
of Alexander McDonald on 27 April 1912, page 41a,
of Malcolm McPherson on 21 February 1914, page 41c,
of F.W.G. Heinrich on 5 February 1916, page 46a.
Sir Richard Butler, MP (1890-1924). Born in Oxfordshire in 1850 he came to South Australia with his parents in 1854. In Parliament he received the nick-name of 'Dismal Dick' but earned a high reputation for financial ability. He became Premier in March 1905 but was defeated when Parliament met on 20 July. In May 1919 his political career suffered a severe reverse when, as Minister of Agriculture, irregularities were found in the bulk wheat handling scheme. In 1919 a Royal Commission found he had used his position to gain minor electoral advantages but a later Royal Commission in 1920 apparently vindicated him and he was elected speaker in 1921.
Butler Bay, "westward of Scott's Bay", was named in 1910 - see Advertiser,
21 January 1910, page 6e.
Also see South Australia - Politics.
Its school opened in 1905 and closed in 1968.
The Hundred is described in the Advertiser,
21 September 1906, page 8e.
The Advertiser of 23 October 1909 says:
At the terminus of the Port Lincoln railway - that first stage of forty miles - the government has put down a tank of no mean proportions. This is the largest artificial reservoir on the whole of the West Coast... Sunk to a depth of 20 feet in the solid clay, the reservoir, with its surrounding heaped-up embankments, concrete water chute and extensive and elaborate system of drains, was within a few weeks of completion filled to the brim...
Biographical details of Sir Richard Butler are in The Herald,
15 March 1902, page 1a,
Advertiser,4 June 1913 and
an interview in The Mail,
7 June 1913, page 8b,
29 July 1922, page 2d.
"Removed from Office" is in the Observer,
10 May 1919, page 22a,
26 July 1919, page 12e.
An obituary of Mr Butler is in the Register,
29 April 1925, pages 8e-9a;
also see The News,
31 March 1927, page 6e.
Butler BridgeIts school opened as "Pirie South" in 1906 changing its name in 1916; it closed in 1948.
North-west of Peterborough. The 'Buttamuck Run' was established by M.A. Short in 1868. It comprised pastoral leases nod. 1580 and 1581, the former being a consolidation of leases 305, 373 and 602, originally taken up by P. Levi and J. Williams from 1853. General Registry Office memorial book no. 123 at folio 277 has an entry dated 27 July 1857 which states that lease 305 was known as 'Buttermuke'.
H.A. Short's "Buttamuck Run" comprised pastoral leases nod. 1580 and 1581, the former being a consolidation of leases 305, 373 and 602, originally taken up by P. Levi and J. Williams from 1853. General Registry Office memorial book no. 123 at folio 277 has an entry dated 27 July 1857 which states that lease 305 was known as "Buttermuke".
The Record of the Mines of South Australia (fourth edition) at page 166 has a description of the Buttamuk silver-lead lode in the Hundred of Coglin - in 1891 the Inspector of Mines reported that "prospects were not encouraging". A more optimistic report on the "mine" is in the Register, 7 December 1891, page 7c.
Also see South Australia.
Buxton, County of
Sir Thomas F. Buxton, GCMG, Governor of South Australia from 29 October 1895 to 29 March 1899.
Biographical information on the Governor is in the Advertiser,
15 May 1895, page 5g,
29 October 1895, page 4e.
His obituary appears in the Register,
29 October 1915, page 7c,
"A Vice-Regal Saint - The Buxton's in South Australia" on
10 April 1919, page 7c.
(Also see Adelaide - Clubs, Societies and Associations for information on Lady Buxton.)
Created by William Whinham (1842-1925) out of part sections 374-75, Hundred of Yatala in 1898; now included in Prospect. There is a town of the same name in Northumberland, England
An obituary of George Barber is in the Register,
5 August 1920, page 4h.