Place Names of South Australia - B
Ballast Head - Barabba
Five kilometres north of American River on Kangaroo Island, so named because ballast was readily available there for sailing ships.
Arrowsmith's map of 1841 shows "stone good for ballast here" - see Register,
6, 8 and 9 May 1922, pages 12a, 9g and 6e.
A proposed jetty is discussed in the Observer, 18 June 1927, page 18c:
In 1927 a request for a jetty was made by a deputation representing the residents of Kangaroo Island, the Coast Steamship Company and people who visited the locality frequently. A spokesman said that more than 500 visitors stayed at American River and adjoining places each year. The existing jetty at American River was useless for shipping and the current practice was for visitors to be landed at Penneshaw and motored to American River, but frequently it was too rough for steamers to put in at that port. Local fishermen, in not being able to get their fish away from Penneshaw, suffered loss also.
Laid out on part section 510, Hundred of Yatala by Alexander MacDonald in 1850; now included in Dernancourt. Its nomenclature is explained in the Register of 17 September 1850:
- Nathaniel Hailes will sell... that most picturesque of townships, one worthy to become a Royal residence...
Also see Place Names - Dernancourt.
Balmoral East was a subdivision comprising "110 building blocks situated between Grange and Semaphore" is reported in the Advertiser,
11 March 1922, page 5a.
A railway station on the Cummins-Buckleboo line 13 km south-west of Kimba. A post office of the same name stood on section 27, Hundred of Solomon.
Its school opened in 1931 and closed in 1944.
A railway station on the Wolseley-Mount Gambier line 27 km south-west of Wolseley. Edward Bangham held adjacent land under occupation licence in the 1840s and sold out to a Mr McLean in 1846. Bryan Cussen held it under pastoral lease no. 154 from 1851.
Parliamentary Paper 30/1875 has a map which shows "Bangham Well" and "Bangham Homestead".
The district is described in the Register, 13 August 1880, page 5f:
The ride through Bangham has no charm except the charm of solitude, or such mild diversions as can be found from watching the kangaroo hop, the emu stalk hurriedly away among the trees, or the big stork-like native companions glide as quietly from view as if he knew the onlooker were admiring his slate-coloured plumage and his thin long legs. The country passed through is a monotonous one - all scrub and little swampy flats - till the Nalang Run and the Tatiara country are entered...
"Preserving Bangham Forest" is in the Advertiser,
19 January 1937, page 16d.
A town laid out by the Mount Remarkable Mining Company in 1853 on section 100, Hundred of Wongyarra. The Register of 3 February 1853 at page 4b makes mention of:
- The romantic township of Melrose, the business sites of Bangor Township and the water side privileges of Port Flinders.
Its school opened in 1877 and closed in 1964.
The Advertiser of 22 August 1904, page 9a and Chronicle, 27 August 1904, page 34 say:
The schoolhouse is a room attached to the hotel stables and for playground the children use the cattle yards, only a step from the door. Bangor has a kind of wild Highland glen look about it, befitting its name, and there appears no valid excuse for its existence at all, unless the presence of the indispensable hotel be considered one.
Its post office was opened by Walter Purchase in 1887.
A sports day is reported upon in the Register,
31 December 1895, page 6a,
4 January 1896, page 14d,
4 January 1896, page 14e.
The town is described in the Chronicle,
27 August 1904, page 34d.
An obituary of Mrs Charlotte Bowman is in the Observer,
17 February 1917, page 32d.
Discovered by Lieutenant James Grant on 3 December 1800. Baudin named it Cap Bourru (Gloomy Cape), while Freycinet's maps show it as C. Buffon. Its name on modern charts is 'Cape Banks'.
In his journal of 17 April 1802 Flinders records the name as 'Cape Banks West':
- The addition of West is made... to distinguish it from Cape Banks on the east coast, named by Captain Cook. It is to be regretted that navigators often apply names in so careless a manner as to introduce confusion into geography.
Information on the lighthouse is in the Express, 9 June 1886, page 6e:
We had to travel four miles to the lighthouse over an abominable road, portion of the way composed of huge boulders of rocks; how the axles stood it was surprising. We reached the cape without accident and were received kindly by the good people living there. There are two families - a head and second keeper - and they have indeed a lonely time of it in a spot so remote from others. An occasional visit from a boundary rider is about the only relief to their monotony. The lighthouse is kept beautifully and the two comfortable cottages are patterns of cleanliness and neatness. Fortunately there are young people and children in each to lighten their parent's solitude... Our host bought the wreck of the Admella for a modest sum, but he has not been able to do anything with it owing to the never-ceasing swell and surf. On one occasion when he was out endeavouring to secure it he rested his hand on part of the ship's machinery which on exceptionally fine days, he said, may still be seen at low tide.
The forestry reserve is described in the Register,
25 May 1891, page 5a.
Thomas Hardy's property 'Bankside' '... situated upon the margin of the Torrens, slightly west of north of the Thebarton Racecourse' is described in the Register, 19 November 1866, page 3e.
Thomas Hardy's reminiscences are in the Register,
1 April 1899, page 5a; also see
14 August 1900, page 5a.
A photograph is in The Critic,
1 June 1901, page 6.
"Prosecution for Wine-Selling" is in the Register,
15 October 1864, page 2d.
A vineyard festival is reported in the Register,
21 May 1869, page 2h and
11 May 1871, page 5d;
the latter also includes the results of a cricket match of Bankside versus Fulham;
11 May 1872, page 5b and
23 May 1873, page 5f.
A vintage fete is reported in the Register,
16 May 1877, page 5b,
17 May 1878, page 5e,
1 May 1879, page 6a,
21 May 1880, page 6b,
6 May 1881, page 6e,
5 May 1882, page 6f,
3 May 1883, page 6g,
3 May 1884, page 5a.
Information on the vineyard and its soil is in the Farmers Weekly Messenger,
23 October 1874, page 5d,
27 November 1877, page 6g; also see
22 February 1879, page 2b (supp.),
14 April 1893, page 3c,
25 April 1893, page 7a,
21 April 1887, page 6f.
A letter from Thomas Hardy complaining of treatment received on a Hill and Co coach in the mid-north is in the Register, 2 August 1877, page 7c.
A description of Thomas Hardy's new warehouses in Currie Street is in the Register,
15 February 1882, page 5a and
a dinner commemorating an enlargement to Hardy's Wine Saloon is reported on
4 January 1883, page 5a.
Visits by members of the Adelaide City Council are reported in the Register,
25 March 1886, page 5c and
14 April 1886, page 5c and
the Port Adelaide Corporation on
24 September 1887, page 5b; also see
12 April 1888, page 5b.
Thomas Hardy's evidence to the SA Vegetable Products Committee is in the Observer,
24 September 1887, page 11b.
Flooding is discussed in the Chronicle,
20 April 1889, page 9c.
Also see South Australia - Natural Disasters - Floods.
The export of oranges to the United Kingdom is reported in the Register,
23 September 1891, page 5b and
a pruning match on
28 July 1893, page 7g.
Photographs are in the Chronicle,
18 July 1914, page 30.
Also see South Australia - Industries - Rural, Primary and Secondary - Fruit and Vegetables.
A grape cutters' strike is reported in the Register,
20 March 1893, page 5b,
25 March 1893, page 8b.
"Wine and Oil" is in the Advertiser,
30 June 1899, page 6b.
"The Adelaide Cellars and Bankside" is in the Register,
22 April 1903, page 5h,
25 April 1903, page 12e - contains biographical details of Thomas Hardy.
A controversy over the purity or otherwise of Hardy's "Old Red" wine is traversed in the Register,
15, 18, 23 and 28 March 1904, pages 6e, 3h-i, 8h and 7b,
2 April 1904, page 32d.
An obituary of James J. Hardy is in the Register,
16 June 1904, page 6h.
The Bankside Cellars were destroyed by fire in 1904 - See Register,
17 October 1904, page 4h;
photographs are in the Chronicle,
22 October 1904, page 27.
19 October 1904, page 16,
19 July 1911, page 7,
9 July 1913, page 13.
"The Crown versus Thomas N. Hardy" is in the Register,
5 May 1905, page 3h,
20 May 1905, page 10h.
The reminiscences of Thomas Hardy are in the Register,
15 January 1910, page 15g and his obituary on
11 January 1912, page 5b.
Photographs are in the Observer,
22 July 1911, page 29.
Fourteen kilometres north-east of Mallala. Land in the vicinity was first held under occupation licence by John Ellis from 15 August 1844. A town of 'Aliceburgh' was laid out on section 204, Hundred of Grace into one-acre blocks and proclaimed in 1879. It ceased to exist on 1 July 1897 and was re-surveyed into working men's blocks of four to five acres - this was the genesis of today's settlement of Barabba which is an unofficial name.
It is an Aboriginal word for the indigenous bulrush plant.
The Advertiser of 14 March 1868, page 3d reports on the Barabra (sic) scrub
The Barabra (sic) Scrub has been burning for a fortnight, and no doubt many hundreds of tons of firewood and timber for fencing have been destroyed. A fire yesterday got up the shelf of a haystack belonging to Mrs Murphy, of Humphrey Springs...
The 'Barabba Scrub' is mentioned in the Register, 30 October 1875, page 6g: 'some portions are cleared and cultivated, apparently with encouraging success.'
The Barabba Post Office opened in 1877 and in November 1971 when consideration was being given to its closure the postal authorities said:
- [The] non-official office serves a farming community of 12 households (including the Postmaster). Mails are exchanged six times a week with Adelaide (inward mail is resorted at Balaklava) ...
The laying of the foundation stone of the Primitive Methodist Church is reported in the Register,
12 August 1876, page 5b.
Its school opened in 1877.
The Register of 11 October 1878 (supp.) at page 1g reports a trial of a grubbing machine on Mr H. Good's "Boundary Farm" "in the Barabba Scrub".
Also see South Australia - Industries - Rural, Primary and Secondary - Farming Implements.
The town is described in the Register, 23 January 1904, page 6a.
An obituary of John O. Lithgow is in the Observer,
10 February 1906, page 38c,
of Philip Brady in the Register,
16 July 1918, page 4f,
of Mrs James Dow on 7 October 1919, page 4h,
of James Dow on 21 February 1920, page 6h, 16 March 1927, page 8g.