Place Names of South Australia - B
This suburb was created by William Sanders and William Paxton in June 1849 when they subdivided section 355, Hundred of Yatala:
- This singularly valuable property [has been subdivided] in consequence of numerous applications by parties anxious for frontages to the most busy roads of the province or desirous of obtaining access to the inexhaustible stores of incomparable brick-clay with which the more remote acres abound...
- Two thirds of this singularly valuable township which three months since was a bare common ground are now covered with substantial and genteel cottages, thriving shops and wells of excellent water. NB. As old colonists and new are alike expected to throng this really unreserved sale, lunch will be provided as adequate to the gastronomic capacities of the whole community...
A fatal accident at a brick-pit is reported in the Register, 11 December 1865, page 2g:
In 1865, William Jagger while working in a brick pit, was crushed by earth falling from above.
He had neglected a precaution which was usually taken of leaving what was termed a 'leg' to support the earth above while undermining beneath...
A description of a local brickworks is in the Register,
30 July 1884, page 7b.
"Killed in a Pughole" is in the Chronicle,
1 July 1893, page 7f.
Information on the Metropolitan Brick Company is in the Register,
1, 2 and 5 February 1884, pages 6g, 7b and 6g.
The manufacture of colonial fire bricks is reported in the Express,
9 June 1888, page 4c.
A brickmakers' strike is reported in the Register,
15, 16, 18, 22, 23, 25, 26, 28, 30 and 31 October 1889, pages 7g, 6e, 5c, 7e, 5a, 5d, 5b-6f, 5c 4h and 3e,
2 and 5 November 1889, pages 6h and 5c; also see
13 April 1896.
"The Brickmaking Trade" appears on
17 and 20 October 1906, pages 6i and 4a.
Also see Bowden.
A fire at G. Marks' pottery works is reported in the Register,
20 February 1893, page 5d.
"Brickmakers and the Wages Board" is in the Register,
17 July 1907, page 4f.
A photograph of Hockney's brickyard is in the Observer,
17 June 1911, page 32.
The Adelaide Pottery Works is described in the Chronicle,
24 March 1883, page 8a,
16 April 1887, page 3e,
27 October 1894, page 7d.
Information on local bottle manufacturing is in the Express,
26 October 1874, page 2f,
5 December 1874, page 2d,
23 January 1875, page 3b,
1 February 1875, page 3c,
27 April 1875, page 3e,
15 May 1875, page 2e,
10 August 1875, page 3b,
31 August 1886, page 4d,
9 October 1866, page 4b,
2 November 1866, page 4c,
18 December 1886, page 3f.
31 August 1886, page 7d,
9 October 1886, page 5c,
3 November 1886, page 5b,
18 December 1886, page 5c,
16 November 1886, page 6e,
3 November 1886, page 5b,
18 December 1886, page 5c,
26 August 1887, page 5b; also see
30 November 1906, page 6e,
24 August 1911, page 9c,
9 October 1886, page 7c,
2 November 1886, page 7f.
Historical information on the SA Glass Bottle Works is in the Register,
21 July 1913, page 6g,
22 July 1913, page 8f.
Photographs are in the Observer,
8 December 1906, page 29.
The soapworks are described in the Register,
5 January 1888, page 5b.
Also see Adelaide - Factories and Mills.
Schools and Churches
The school opened in 1863;
examinations at Miss Aston's school are reported in the Express,
13 January 1866, page 2d,
28 December 1867, page 2e,
at the West Street School in the Register,
7 December 1872, page 5c,
at St Joseph's in the Express,
30 September 1884, page 3d:
The examination of the school conducted by Mrs and Miss Aston took place in December 1865 and was presided over by the Rev S.L. Harris. Prizes were awarded to Misses Burnell, Wyatt, Enoch. H. Poore, E. Smith, Sarah Smith, Leaney, Denney, Cubley, Wood, Green and Vawser.
The new Model School is described in the Register,
12 June 1886, page 5e; also see
2 May 1893, page 4a.
The opening of Brompton North School is reported in the Express,
29 June 1886, page 2c.
Information on the school and
its jubilee is in the Advertiser,
9 September 1935, page 17b,
2 October 1935, page 21b.
An obituary of John Hunn, headmaster, is in the Register,
11 August 1902, page 4i.
Information on the State School Mother's Club is in The News,
27 June 1929, page 10b.
Photographs of a school's pet day are in the Chronicle,
18 December 1930, page 37,
of an Arbor Day in the Observer,
24 July 1930, page 34,
23 July 1936, page 35.
Also see South Australia - Education - Arbor Days.
The laying of the foundation stone of the Wesleyan Church is reported in the Observer,
27 March 1875, page 12b,
4 March 1876, page 6d; also see
7 March 1876, page 5a.
A sketch is in the Pictorial Australian in
A history of the Methodist Church is in the Register,
15 March 1924, page 6; also see
18 March 1926, page 15b.
The laying of the foundation stone of the Salvation Army Hall is reported in the Register,
17 January 1882, page 5b (see South Australia - Religion - Salvation Army) and
of the Catholic Church in the Chronicle,
3 April 1886, page 8e.
"SA's First Stay-In Strike" is in The News,
2 August 1937, page 1a.
Photographs are in the Chronicle,
12 August 1937, page 35.
Information on St Joseph's School is in the Express,
23 August 1901, page 4c.
A photograph of students is in The Critic,
24 March 1909, page 2.
"Strike at a Church" is in the Register,
11, 12, 14 and 18 March 1918, page 5c, 5b, 5h and 4i,
5 April 1918, page 7d,
9 May 1918, page 4h,
28 June 1918, page 7c,
1, 2, 6, 8 and 13 July 1918, pages 5c, 6f, 10d, 5a and 7a,
11 September 1918, page 5d,
10 and 25 March 1919, pages 5c and 4e,
16 March 1918, page 42a,
13 April 1918, page 33c,
11 May 1918, page 30b,
13 and 20 July 1918, pages 31e and 39a,
10 August 1918, page 29a,
14 September 1918, page 19a.
A photograph of the unveiling of an Honour Roll at the State school is in the Observer,
26 November 1927, page 35.
Also see Adelaide - Lighting the City and Homes.
The laying of the foundation stone of the gasworks is reported in the Register,
24 December 1862, page 3d; also see
16 February 1863, page 2g,
1 June 1863, page 2h,
17 December 1862, page 2f.
The gasworks are described in the Chronicle,
20 December 1862, page 4e,
9 May 1863, page 2e,
6 June 1863, page 3c.
1 January 1870, page 6a.
A visit to the gasworks is reported in the Register,
1 September 1879, page 5g,
21 August 1882, page 6d and
22 June 1885, page 7a,
while a dispute at the works is discussed on
23, 24 May 1881, pages 5d and 5a-2a (supp.),
1 June 1881 (supp.), page 1c.
Sketches are in the Pictorial Australian in
July 1890, page 116.
A fatal accident at the gas works is reported in the Observer,
25 December 1875, page 3g.
Reports on an explosion at the works and subsequent events are in the Register on
29 March 1883, page 5a,
2, 3, 7, 21 and 27 April 1883, pages 7d, 4g, 1f (supp.), 7e and 4e-7d; also see
29 August 1885, page 7a and Bowden.
"Grievances Among the Gas Employees" is in the Register,
17 June 1890, page 6g.
"How Gas is Made" is in the Register on
2 July 1903, page 7f; also see
7 July 1906, pages 9e-11a,
24 August 1911, page 9c.
"The Rights of Way in Bowden and Brompton" is in the Observer,
4 August 1855, page 3g,
29 December 1855, page 1h (supp.),
12 and 19 January 1856, pages 6h and 3h-7f.
Information on Brompton Park's water supply is in the Register,
17 December 1877, page 6b:
The inhabitants... must trudge the distance of the Bowden railway station and there have to wait to have the water supplied to them by the turncock... They have to be there between the hours of 8 to 9 am and 4 to 5 pm at which no working man can be in attendance...
9 January 1878, page 6f.
Also see Adelaide - Water Supply.
A proposed tramway to Brompton Park is discussed in the Advertiser,
21 April 1882, page 6c.
Also see Adelaide - Transport - Tramways.
A meeting of ratepayers is reported in the Express,
2 July 1884, page 7b.
A photograph of a corporation incinerator is in the Chronicle,
13 February 1936, page 32.
Also see South Australia - Miscellany - Local Government.
"A Ghost at Brompton" is in the Express,
23 October 1888, page 2f.
"A Ridiculous Ghost Story" is in the Register,
14 October 1895, page 5a,
19 October 1895, page 29e.
Also see Adelaide - Miscellany - Ghosts.
The unsanitary condition of Brompton Park is discussed in the Register,
15 and 18 November 1892, pages 7d and 7f.
A proposed recreation ground is discussed in the Register,
17 February 1893, page 7e and
the pipeworks described on
1 February 1895.
"Pugholes" is in the Register,
10 May 1904, page 4e.
A photograph of a pughole used as a rifle range is in the Chronicle,
19 March 1904, page 42; also see
26 September 1935, page 35.
Also see South Australia - Sport - Rifle Shooting.
The laying of the foundation stone of a boys' club building is reported in the Express,
27 February 1908, page 3e.
Information on the Brompton Park Mission is in the Register,
23 June 1904, page 3i.
The opening of the McBride Mission is reported in the Register,
25 March 1910, page 10f;
a photograph is in the Chronicle,
3 September 1910, page 32.
Information on the Home and Gospel Mission is in the Register,
31 March 1914, page 5h.
Biographical details of W. Davis are in the Register,
12 September 1907, page 9a,
of Mrs Mary Coombe in the Register,
7 June 1915, page 6i, 6 June 1918, page 6g,
Observer, 8 June 1918, page 28b,
Register, 5 June 1920, page 9e.
"Brompton Tramway Scheme" is in the Register,
6 September 1910, page 5e.
Also see Adelaide - Transport - Tramways.
"Sale of [First] Street" is in the Register,
17 October 1911, page 6f.
The diamond wedding of Mr & Mrs George Williams is reported in the Observer,
10 July 1926, page 17a.
An obituary of Rev James Roberts is in the Register,
10 September 1886, page 5c,
of Charles Stacey on 5 September 1887, page 5b,
of Samuel Coombe on 4 January 1899, page 6c.
An obituary of W.B. Williams is in the Register,
10 December 1892, page 5b,
of Mrs Elizabeth Chubb and Mrs Lucy A. Harry on 29 October 1895, page 7e,
of George Smith on 29 October 1900, page 4i,
of Mrs James Roberts is in the Observer,
11 May 1895, page 31e.
An obituary of E.J. Coombe is in the Register,
25 October 1901, page 4g,
Observer, 2 November 1901, page 31c,
of John Pickering on 2 May 1903, page 33b,
of Rev T. Allen on 28 November 1903, page 34d,
of A.R. Beck on 20 April 1907, page 38e,
of John Hocking on 2 March 1918, page 33d,
of George H. Brown on 28 November 1925, page 11c.
An obituary of John Pickering is in the Register,
29 April 1903, page 5a,
of Rev T. Allen on 20 November 1903, page 5b,
of Francis Druce on 31 October 1908, page 9e,
of Nicholas Reseigh on 24 November 1909, page 7b,
of A.W. Reeves on 11 October 1913, page 16a,
of William Jay on 14 January 1914, page 8a,
of John Hocking on 22 February 1918, page 6g,
of Mrs Agnes Buckton on 7 June 1918, page 6g,
of Benjamin Gould on 31 October 1922, page 10a,
of Charles D. Bourn on 27 August 1924, page 13h,
of W.H. Martin on 13 November 1924, page 13f.
An obituary of Samuel Harris, hotelier, is in the Observer,
27 February 1904, page 34e,
of George Matthews on 14 October 1905, page 40c,
of Mrs S. Keen on 24 February 1906, page 38c,
of Francis Druce on 7 November 1908, page 40a,
of Mrs Mary McBurnie on 11 December 1909, page 38a,
of William Jay on 17 January 1914, page 41b,
of Mrs Mary Wells on 16 September 1916, page 22b,
of John Coulthard on 29 January 1921, page 34a,
of Mrs Mary Coombe on 19 March 1921, page 31b,
of Thomas Cowling on 30 June 1928, page 46a.
An obituary of Richard C. Worthley is in the Register,
7 March 1925, page 8h,
of George W. Green on 20 March 1925, page 11h,
of Mrs Jane Ward on 11 March 1927, page 8c,
of Thomas Cowling on 27 June 1928, page 11d,
of John S. Downs on 18 August 1928, page 15b.