Place Names of South Australia - C
Craggs Creek - Crozier, Hundred of
- Craggs, Creek
- Craig, Mount
- Crawfish Creek
- Crawford, Mount
- Creswell Point
- Crittenden Park
- Cross Roads
- Crozier, Hundred of
Craggs CreekThe creek is described and a proposed weir on it discussed in the Register,
14 May 1894, page 7d;
its modern day name is "Katarapko Creek".
For a reference to "Craigie's Creek" see Register,
2 June 1883, page 6a:
Just above Bookpurnong is the upper end of Craigie's Creek which apparently flows out of the river at Pyap Reach. When the river is up several of the small boats have gone up the creek thereby shortening the course around the river by about 13 miles...
South-west of Hawker. James Craig the manager for the Browne brothers of Warcowie Station in which he had an interest.
An account of the "Mount Craig Mining Company" is in the Register,
23 February 1861, page 2f; also see
28 June 1861, page 2e:
The mine was opened in April 1860 by eight gentlemen who subscribed together money sufficient to test the land. The report of the Captain being very favourable they were induced to enlarge the
company to 12, each of whom gave 100 shillings towards the further development of the country. The mine was about 78 miles from Port Augusta...
Also see South Australia - Mining - Coal.
In the 1980s it was an unofficial name applied by land developers to a subdivision of portion of land (section 897) previously held by Minda Home Inc., south of the Sturt River in the suburb of Flagstaff Hill. The name was taken from a property owned by Peter Cumming (c.1796-1881), who obtained the land grant of section 897 in 1847. G.C. Gooch purchased it in 1869 and in the same year sold it to Walter Watson Hughes.
Peter Cumming's vineyard is described in the Advertiser,
18 April 1862, page 2d.
His obituary is in the Register,
9 July 1881, page 5e.
Also see South Australia - Industries - Rural, Primary and Secondary - Viticulture.
Information on the sale of Craigburn Estate is in the Register,
21 September 1868, page 4c:
Craigburn Estate was offered for sale in 1868, being situated at Coromandel Valley and comprising sections 20, 21, 22, 261, 262, 263, 842, 861, 862, 895, 896, 897, 898, 1081, 1083 and part 1200 and containing in all 1350 acres - There are two good dwelling houses on the estate and a vineyard of seven acres, good wine cellars, storeroom, etc...
"Providing a New Interest for Minda Boys" is in The News,
20 August 1936, page 22.
Also see under Place Names - Brighton.
Its school opened in 1982.
CraigdarrochThe name was applied to a property in the Hundred of Onkaparinga by the Murdoch family (sometimes recorded as "Murdock"). According to British Parliamentary Papers - Colonial, 1842-1844, pages 100-131 the property stood on section 5234 and others; see State Library of SA, ref. no. 994.c and under "Murdock Hill" in Manning's Place Names of South Australia.
A picnic for children from surrounding schools is reported in the Chronicle,
1 November 1862, page 2g; also see
13 December 1862, page 7a:
On Wednesday, 29 October 1862 the Oakbank, Manxtown, Charleston and Lobethal schools met at Woodside in the morning when they formed in procession to proceed along the road to Craigdarroch Park, the domain of Mrs Murdoch, about two miles from the township of Woodside. Many of the vehicles were tastefully decorated and had many colours flying. The smiling faces of both children and friends gave strong indication that there was a design of a day's enjoyment... The cavalcade numbered at least 50 waggons, double-bodied gigs and horse drays, headed by about a score of equestrians. So general was the desire to intermingle in this gala that I believe a total stop to the business of the day in connection with the township took place, Whole families with their domestics turned out in many instances to enjoy themselves in this very novel way for the settlers of Onkaparinga...
Flax growing by Andrew Mitchell is reported in the Register,
6 March 1869, page 2e.
Also see South Australia - Industries - Rural, Primary and Secondary - Flax.
The goldfield near Woodside is described in the Register,
2, 6, 16 and 23 (supp.) July 1881, pages 5c, 4g, 5c and 1e.
Also see South Australia - Mining - Gold.
An obituary of Mrs Elizabeth Lorimer is in the Register,
14 May 1902, page 6d.
An 1866 Gazetteer describes it as an agricultural settlement a few miles from Adelaide, famous for its orchards and excellence of the jam manufactured there.
See Place Names - Coromandel Valley in respect of the "Craiglee" factory.
The Governor's visit to the factory is reported in the Register,
11 April 1867, page 3f; also see
22 June 1868, page 3d,
8 February 1883, page 6c.
17 February 1883, page 13a:
In the midst of the present agitation respecting the encouragement and fostering of native industries, it is pleasing to find an illustration of what has been accomplished by an old and respected colonist, Mr. Alexander Murray... His business at Coromandel Valley, though conducted very quietly, has been steadily increasing... During the past year his factory turned out nearly 3,000 worth of biscuits of various kinds... There are 10 hands at present employed...
Mr Alexander Murray's obituary appears in the Register,
12 April 1880, page 5a,
16 December 1898, page 6g and
information on a memorial on
26 June 1899, page 5i,
1 July 1899, page 30e.
The name was taken from an early homestead in the district which was imported from Scotland where it means 'big crag';
The Craigmore South School opened in 1979.
A subdivision of part section 505, Hundreds of Moorooroo and Jutland by Charles S. Crane, farmer of Flaxman Valley, in 1866; now included in Tanunda.
An obituary of C.S. Crane is in the Register,
20 October 1914, page 4g,
24 October 1914, page 42a:
Mr. C.S. Crane, of Craneford, died in October 1914. He arrived in the Gloucester in 1852 and after returning from the Victorian diggings went to Coromandel Valley for two years.. Later he went to South Rhine with Mr. James Ackland and in 1855 went to Collingrove for about 18 months. In 1857 he married a Miss Ackland, from William Angas's house, and took up a block of land near Eden Valley, where he resided until his death...
Crawfish CreekThe Register of 11 February 1858 (supp.), page 1 locates it as being contiguous to section 152, Hundred of Goolwa.
Crawford, MountThe Adelaide Chronicle of 2 March 1842, page 2e says "Mr Crawford first squatted there" while in Early Experiences in South Australia (page 65) James. C. Hawker talks of "a temporary station formed by Mr Crawford near the mount now bearing his name." The Register of 15 September 1911 at page 12g has biographical details of two brothers, T.G.T & E.J.F. Crawford, who settled in the area in the early days, the latter becoming a brewer at Hindmarsh.
Biographical details on the Crawford family is in the Register,
12 February 1925, page 12f.
The district is described in the Register,
20 May 1862, page 3d.
A report of a gold discovery by Mr Bennett is reported in the Register,
12 January 1872, page 5d.
"Heroine of Gold Rush", information on Mrs Anna Maria Watts, is in The Mail,
1 July 1933, page 7a:
A stone's throw from the busy Mount Crawford gold fields stands a house that was built 43 years ago, while the first gold rush was on. In the house lives the woman who built it, Mrs Anna Maria Watts, widow of a man who picked up the first 22 ounce nugget in Watts'Gully...
Also see South Australia - Mining - Gold.
An obituary of John Murray is in the Register,
14 September 1886, page 5c,
of Robert Ross on
18 August 1891, page 3d,
18 September 1886, page 35b,
of John Warren on
19 September 1914, page 23c.
A polo match is reported in the Observer,
28 April 1888, page 18b.
Also see South Australia - Sport - Polo.
"A Visit to Mount Crawford" is in the Advertiser,
23 May 1905, page 7b.
A golf match against Strathalbyn is reported in the Observer,
4 April 1908, page 24d.
Also see South Australia - Sport - Golf.
"Warren Reservoir's Rich Site" is in the Register,
15 July 1914, page 9d.
Also see South Australia - Water Conservation.
Its school opened in 1909 and closed in 1949.
The sale of Mount Crawford estate is reported in the Register,
3 September 1915, page 4i,
11 September 1915, page 24a.
Information on a camp for unemployed men is in The Mail,
19 December 1931, page 19.
Also see South Australia - The Depression Years, 1930-1936.
In the Tatiara district. Aboriginal for 'dung and urine water'.
An obituary of Mrs T. Smith and William Williamson is in the Register,
9 July 1926, page 8g.
Creswell PointOn Flinders Island; named after the "Late Mr John Creswell" - see Advertiser,
21 January 1910, page 6e.
Crittenden ParkA name proposed for a housing development east of the Main North Road. Samuel Crittenden (the family name is sometimes spelt "Crettenden") was a pioneer of the Smithfield district and a founding councillor of the District Council of Munno Para when it was formed in 1854.
The name would appear to be inappropriate for the "property owned by the Crettenden family is located on the western side of the Main North Road." See note Place Names - Smithfield for a further reference to Samuel Crittenden.
Fourteen kilometres south-west of Williamstown, has a namesake in Kent and Norfolk, England which derives from the Old English crawa - 'the crow's lake'.
Apart from information recorded in Manning's Place Names of South Australia it would appear that the school opened as "Para Wirra" in 1898; name changed in 1899 and closed in 1950.
CropleyAccording to the Observer,
9 April 1887, page 41c the name was given to a railway siding 15 miles from Peterborough and named after a farmer "residing in a natural scrub about a mile from the yard..." Also see
4 June 1884, page 6c.
Cross RoadsParliamentary Paper 73/1872 shows it as a school at Wallaroo conducted by John Penalurick with 97 enrolled pupils; it opened in 1871 and closed in 1878.
A report on the laying of the foundation stone of the Cross Roads Bible Christian Chapel is in the Register,
22 November 1873, page 5c.
A school 11 km east of Cleve; opened in 1909 it closed in 1947. Named after a local homestead.
A photograph of the opening of a Lutheran Church is in the Chronicle,
17 December 1927, page 41,
of the school and students on
22 December 1932, page 32.
Twenty-four kilometres SSW of Lucindale. The town was proclaimed on 17 April 1890. An Aboriginal word meaning 'much water'.
The pastoral property is described in the Register,
21 January 1885, page 5e:
The homestead is a palatial structure and the run is, as runs in this kind of country go, a splendid one... Some of the land on the run and around it is hopelessly poor. In parts the limestone crops up above the surface, in others standing water never leaves it, but there is in fertile spots recompense for this...
A photograph of the homestead is in the Chronicle,
26 December 1929, page 34.
An obituary of Mrs Alexander Watson is in the Observer,
15 January 1921, page 34a,
of John McInnes in the Register,
22 August 1926, page 10g.
In June 1853, Alfred Watts and Philip Levi purchased section 374, Hundred of Yatala and in 1855, laid out the village of Croydon. It comprised of 'Croydon Farm' of 40 acres, the remainder being subdivided into lots of up to five acres. Philip Levi was born at Brixton Hill, Surrey, England in 1822 and as a 'Croydon' lies in that county the genesis of the present day suburb, no doubt, is thereby explained.
A mowing match is reported in the Observer, 4 November 1865, page 2g (supp.):
A mowing match with scythes was held in the section attached to Croydon Hall, the property of William Crane... There were in all 10 competitors who were each required to complete half an acre in two hours... The names of the mowers were R. Miller, James Wilson, Henry Lack, George Smith, William Wilson, Daniel Lilly, Miles McNamara, James Smith, Joseph Simpson and Patrick Cadey. The first to complete his work was McNamara in the time of one hour and 37 minutes...
A proposed railway station is discussed in the Register,
15 November 1883, page 7b,
17 November 1883, page 3d,
16 August 1884 (supp.), page 2a; also see
22 October 1884, page 7a;
22 October 1884, page 5c,
24 December 1897, page 7b.
Also see Adelaide - Transport - Railways.
Tamlin and Coombe's rope factory is described in the Register,
11 November 1886, page 5c.
A ropemakers' strike is reported in the Register,
3 April 1911, page 10f,
1 July 1911, page 17a.
Also see Adelaide - Factories and Mills.
"The Croydon Artesian Bore" is in the Chronicle,
25 October 1890, page 8b,
10 January 1891, page 5b,
14 February 1891, page 5a,
16 June 1891, page 5b,
17 January 1891, page 37b:
In consequence of a difficulty experienced in putting down the iron casing in the artesian bore, Croydon, work has been suspended... Considerable interest has been taken by many of the public in the progress of the bore as various theories have been propounded as to what is below the surface and some people of a sanguine disposition are of the opinion that coal will be struck...
Boring for coal is reported in the Register,
17 January 1891, page 5c,
24 June 1891, page 5b,
18 November 1891, page 5a,
3 February 1892, page 5g,
10 February 1893, page 5b,
28 March 1893, page 5a,
5 May 1893, page 5c.
Also see South Australia - Mining - Coal.
Information on a cricket club is in the Register,
24 April 1891, page 6c,
30 March 1894, page 3e,
15 June 1893, page 4b,
3 June 1896, page 4c.
Also see South Australia - Sport - Cricket - Miscellany.
The opening of a glass works is reported in the Express,
21 November 1893, page 2f.
Also see Adelaide - Factories and Mills.
"A House on a Road" is in the Express,
17 March 1898, page 3f.
Biographical details of Mr & Mrs William Dorling is in the Register,
2 September 1899, page 7c.
Biographical details of Mr & Mrs Dobbs are in the Register,
16 April 1900, page 5d.
"Illuminations at Croydon" is in the Register,
20 May 1903, page 4e.
The laying of the foundation stone of a room for the Croydon Mission is reported in the Express,
10 April 1905, page 2d.
Biographical details of William Brooker and family are in theObserver,
6 May 1905, page 24c.
Harris Scarfe's nail and barbed wire factory is described in the Register,
10 October 1906, page 4g.
A strike at the Adelaide Rope and Nail Co is reported on
3 April 1911, page 10f; also see
1 May 1911, page 6g and
its destruction by fire on
2 September 1912, page 8c.
Photographs are in the Observer,
7 September 1912, page 31.
Also see Adelaide - Factories and Mills.
A stretch of water named "Lake Robert" by local citizens is the cause for complaint in the Advertiser,
23 August 1915, page 6f.
The tramway is commented upon in the Register,
2 and 6 June 1914, pages 14a and 7g,
17 August 1920, page 1g,
25 January 1923, page 2e,
26 and 29 January 1923, pages 6d and 6d.
Photographs are in the Chronicle,
3 February 1923, page 32.
Also see South Australia - Transport - Tramways.
Biographical details of Vinrace Lawrance are in the Register,
16 January 1915, page 8h,
of G. Whiting on 16 January 1915, page 11c,
of L.W. Hutchinson on 13 April 1917, page 4f,
of Mrs Mary Herbert on 8 October 1925, page 10c.
The opening of a new picture theatre is reported in the Advertiser,
22 December 1923, page 14e.
Also see South Australia - Entertainment and the Arts - Moving Pictures and Television.
Information on the school is in the Register,
1 September 1922, page 6e,
18 February 1925, page 12c and
on the Croydon Central School on
26 May 1926, page 11e;
the State school Mothers' Club in The News,
24 January 1929, page 9a.
Information on and a sketch of the central school are in the Chronicle,
29 May 1926, page 56.
Photographs of a school's pet show are in the Chronicle,
6 November 1930, page 37,
of an Arbor Day on
13 August 1931, page 77, Also see South Australia - Education - Arbor Days
of a fete on
26 November 1931, page 34,
of a domestic arts class on
5 October 1933, page 36.
Also see South Australia - Social Matters - Domestics Servants.
The golden wedding of Mr & Mrs W.J. McNiece is reported in the Register,
3 February 1923, page 12e.
A photograph of the opening of the Baptist Church is in the Observer,
12 July 1924, page 32.
The opening of the Methodist Church is reported in the Register,
12 October 1925, page 6g.
A photograph of the opening of the soldiers' memorial club rooms is in the Observer,
15 October 1927, page 37.
Also see South Australia - World War I - Memorials to the Fallen.
Biographical details of Mrs Sarah Rowley are in the Register,
3 April 1928, page 8h,
of W.T. McNiece and W.H. Tamlin on 13 August 1928, page 15c.
Proposed secession from Hindmarsh is discussed in the Advertiser,
4 and 6 December 1929, pages 22d and 20f.
Also see South Australia - Miscellany - Local Government.
Croydon - Obituaries
An obituary of Frederick Fisher is in the Register, 9 November 1894, page 5c,
of J.O. Fenwick, ropemaker, in the Register, 8 June 1896, page 5a,
of Thomas Fisher on 15 July 1897, page 4h, Observer, 13 June 1896, page 15e.
An obituary of Richard Day is in the Register, 2 April 1900, page 5a.
An obituary of Robert Mends is in the Register, 28 December 1905, page 5b,
Observer, 30 December 1905, page 38e,
of Richard Hindley on 31 August 1907, page 38d,
of Mrs Gething on 21 March 1908, page 10c,
of William Brooker on 30 January 1909, page 38d.
An obituary of Mrs Caroline Kidner is in theRegister, 29 August 1907, page 5a,
of William Brooker on 26 January 1909, page 4f,
of M. Bradley on 18 November 1912, page 6g,
of Mrs William Brooker on 6 September 1917, page 4h,
of Mrs Emily Heddle on 6 February 1919, page 6g,
of Mrs Thomas Saunders on 19 August 1919, page 5b,
of A.G. Nation on 18 November 1920, page 6h.
An obituary of Thomas Bartlett is in the Observer, 1 January 1916, page 44a,
of James Bateup on 23 December 1916, page 21d,
of Mrs LePage on 24 May 1919, page 41b,
of William H. Martin on 10 October 1925, page 41e,
of W.J. Nancarrow on 23 April 1927, page 44c,
of J.S. Murison on 1 October 1927, page 50b,
of J.W. Baddams on 1 December 1928, page 49b.
An obituary of Mrs A.G. Nation is in the Register, 27 May 1920, page 6i,
of John J. Jarman on 29 June 1920, page 4h,
of Francis Plant on 29 November 1921, page 7d,
of Mrs Bertha Stow on 12 April 1923, page 8h,
of Oscar G. Goodall on 24 April 1924, page 6g,
of George J. Comley on 27 October 1924, page 6g,
of Mrs Joseph Black on 14 March 1925, page 8h,
of Frederick Whittney on 19 March 1925, page 8g,
of William H. Martin on 6 October 1925, page 8h.
An obituary of William Senior is in the Register, 23 November 1926, page 13a,
of W.J. Nancarrow on 18 April 1927, page 6g,
of Henry Strongman on 26 May 1927, page 8g,
of Richard S. Blackham on 19 August 1927, page 11f,
of John J. Collins on 15 September 1927, page 19c,
of James S. Murison on 26 September 1927, page 11c,
of Mrs Jessie W. Phelps on 18 November 1927, page 8g.
An obituary of W. Masey is in the Register, 19 May 1928, page 15h,
of John W. Baddams on 28 November 1928, page 11d.
Crozier, Hundred of
John Crozier, MLC (1867-1887). Born in Scotland in 1814 he came to South Australia in 1858.
Also see South Australia - Politics.
John Crozier's obituary is in the Register, 23 April 1887, page 5h.