Place Names of South Australia - C
Cambrai - Carclew
- Cameron, Hundred of
- Camilla Bay
- Campbell Point
- Campbell Bald Hill Range
- Campbell, Hundred of
- Caralue, Hundred of
A subdivision of section 181, Hundred of Angas 10 km south of Sedan, laid out as 'Rhine Villa' by Abel Pollard Skinner in 1882. Its school opened as 'Rhine Villa' in 1888; name changed in 1918. During 1916 the Nomenclature Committee suggested the replacement name of 'Pongaree Villa', but the Government of the day opted for 'Cambrai', a World War I battleground. Pongaree is Aboriginal for 'shade reflection in water'.
Its school opened as "Rhine Villa" in 1888;
name changed in 1918.
A photograph of students is in the Chronicle,
24 August 1933, page 31.
The opening of a new Congregational Church is reported in the Advertiser,
4 May 1926, page 18e:
The new Congregational Church was opened on 2 May 1926 by Mr. G. Arthur Payne, who is in his 86th year and is the oldest resident of the district.... A church for the district was first established at Black Hill in 1890 and a few years later arrangements were made for the use of the institute for church purposes...
A photograph of the church is in the Chronicle,
8 May 1926, page 40.
Biographical details of George A. Payne are in the Register,
2 April 1927, page 11b.
According to Lands Department records this name has never been applied in its single form to a subdivision for residential purposes, although the railway station on the North Terrace to Glenelg railway (now the route of the West Side Bikeway) was known by the single name of Campden until 1916. After this year the spelling Camden was used. The Register of 16 October 1879, page 5b says:
- Sir Thomas Elder has made arrangements for the erection of a town at Morphettville. The houses and also a church, which are to be of wood, will be made in Canada... This township which is to be known as Campden will extend along the Bay Road between the Morphettville station of the Holdfast Bay line of railway and the racecourse.
'Camden' is the name of a London suburb which derives from the Celtic camdin - 'crooked hill', whilecampden means 'wooded vale with a battle site' (from the French campus - 'a plain').
The school opened in 1919.
"Camden Carnival" is in the Register, 12 January 1920, page 5h:
The second annual carnival organised by the Camden Progress Association with the object of raising funds to build an institute was conducted on 10 January 1920 in Morphett's Paddock, Morphettville, and proved a great success...
"Camden Horse Show" is in the Register,
8 November 1920, page 9d.
Photographs of a horses in action meeting are in the Observer,
13 November 1920, page 26.
Also see South Australia - Agricultural, Floricultural & Horticultural Shows.
"The Novar-Camden Recreation Ground" is in the Register,
22 November 1924, page 7e.
An obituary of Mrs Mary Lloyde is in the Observer,
1 September 1928, page 49b.
Cameron, Hundred of
In the County of Daly, proclaimed on 18 February 1869. Data in the State Library says it was named after Hugh Cameron, who came to South Australia in 1838 and engaged in the pastoral industry; born in 1796 at Braes of Rannoch, Scotland he died in 1884 and is buried at Mitcham. A hut, a few miles north of Lake Bumbunga, is marked 'Cameron's Hut' on an 1866 map of pastoral leases. Hugh Cameron managed The Hummocks run for John Ellis, which he first took up under occupation licence in 1842.
A school of this name opened in 1877 and became "Salt Lake" in 1914.
Hugh Cameron, after whom it was named, managed The Hummocks run for John Ellis, which he first took up under occupation licence in 1842 - see Ken Preiss and Pamela Oborn, The Torrens Park Estate, page 43.
The golden wedding of Mr & Mrs A. McDonald is reported in the Register,
14 May 1906, page 4i.
Camilla BayA passenger's account of the Camilla's voyage to South Australia in 1839 is in the Register,
11 December 1899, page 8d.
Its departure from SA is reported in the Register,
9 May 1891, p. 5.
The Register of 3 May 1917, page 8d says:
Captain Bickers took the Camilla to Anxious Bay in 1849 and the South Australian of 1 January 1850 gives a long description of Anxious Bay, or Port Camilla, as he called part of it...
"Venus Harbour or Port Camilla?" is in the Observer,
3 January 1920, page 44d.
Campbell Bald Hill RangeSee Edward Eyre's Autobiographical Narrative, 1832-1839, Caliban Books, Great Britain, 1984, page 197 where he says he named Campbell Range "after my friend Mr Campbell..."; also see Southern Australian, 28 October 1842, page 2b.
Campbell PointAt the northern end of Sceale Bay was named after the "late warden Campbell" of the Marine Board; see Advertiser,
21 January 1910, page 6e.
Campbell, Hundred of
Allan Campbell, MLC (1878-1898). Born in Glasgow, Scotland in 1836 he came to Adelaide in January 1867 when he entered a medical practice. In 1876, due to his report on sanitation, he was appointed as a district health officer and shortly thereafter Adelaide became the first Australian capital to undertake a deep-drainage sewer system. He was primarily responsible for the creation of the Adelaide Children's Hospital and a training school for nurses. A humane man he was outspoken against the sweated labour conditions among female shirt-makers in 1889, and was instrumental in founding a home nursing scheme in Bowden, one of Adelaide's poorest suburbs.
Biographical details of Allan Campbell are in the Register,
27 June 1889, page 5f,
9 July 1889, page 4e-h,
27 May 1891, page 6b and
his obituary on 31 October 1898, pages 4f-5g:
The people of South Australia will be painfully startled today by the tidings of the sudden death of one of their most prominent and respected colonists... Anything like a full and worthy record of the life of Dr Allan Campbell would fill many columns... His name is unalienably associated in the Children's Hospital of which he was the founder...
Also see Advertiser, 31 October 1898, page 4e, Observer,
19 November 1898, page 28b.
Information on a memorial window at the Queen Victoria Home for Convalescent Children at Mount Lofty is in the Advertiser, 6 November 1899, page 6f.
His wife's obituary is in the Observer,
15 November 1924, page 39e.
Sections 309 and 310, Hundred of Adelaide were purchased from the Crown in 1839 by S.G. Smith, who sold it to Charles James Fox Campbell (1811-1859). He subdivided section 310 in 1851 naming the village after himself; it was originally shown as Campbell Town.
Information on St Martin's Church is in the Register,
23 September 1857, page 3c and
of a school conducted therein in the Observer,
16 November 1861, page 5h:
A building intended to be used as a temporary place of worship in connection with the St Martin's Church was opened for Divine service in September 1857 by the Lord Bishop of Adelaide... The want of a church has long been felt in this thriving and populous district...
The church has recently been fitted up as a public school at a cost of about £25, the whole amount of which was collected by the teacher, Mr. Duke...
12 July 1872, page 2e,
20 January 1882, page 5c,
7 December 1907, page 47a,
27 February 1909, page 11e.
The opening of Saint Martin's Church Hall is reported in the Register,
11 July 1894, page 7g.
Information on the Wesleyan Church is in the Register,
16 December 1857, page 3d,
19 December 1857, page 4h,
20 April 1858, page 3g.
The laying of a foundation stone of a "new" Methodist church is reported in the Register,
23 January 1907, page 9a.
Mr Campbell's death is reported in the Observer,
12 March 1859, page 8d and
his funeral in the Register,
22 March 1859, page 3f.
A local athletics meeting is reported in the Register,
17 February 1873, page 2b.
Also see South Australia - Sport - Athletics and Gymnastics.
Information on the water supply is in the Express,
26 March 1908, page 1i.
Also see Adelaide - Water Supply.
J. Hobbs' "Lochiel Park" is described in the Register,
6 June 1903, page 8g.
A proposal to purchase Glenroy Park for use as a recreation ground is reported in the Register, 12 August 1909, page 9f,
29 November 1911, page 3b,
7 December 1911, page 3f,
2 December 1911, page 17c,
9 April 1913, page 6f,
26 February 1916, page 12c.
A patriotic carnival is reported in the Register,
13 November 1916, page 6f;
photographs are in the Observer,
18 November 1916, page 28,
1 December 1917, page 25.
The golden wedding of Mr & Mrs John Heading is reported in the Observer,
2 March 1918, page 28a.
Biographical details of Mr & Mrs William Griggs are in the Register,
31 March 1920, page 6g,
3 April 1920, page 28c.
The unveiling of a war memorial is reported in the Register,
6 July 1925, page 6g,
11 July 1925, page 62e.
Also see South Australia - World War I - Memorials to the Fallen.
"Gardens and Picnics" is in the Register,
24 August 1928, page 15a.
Information on the Glen Roy Scout Group is in The Mail,
15 December 1928, page 21c.
Also see Adelaide - Boy Scouts.
Campbelltown - Obituaries
An obituary of William Dean is in the Register,
9 and 11 September 1896, pages 5f and 7b,
of Joseph Hobbs on 17 November 1913, page 8a,
of Thomas Roberts on 6 October 1916, page 4g.
An obituary of Nicholas McShane is in the Observer,
19 September 1908, page 42a,
of Benjamin Nurse on 21 November 1908, page 40a,
of Jonah Hobbs, gardener, on 22 November 1913, page 41b,
of Thomas Roberts on 14 October 1913, page 35a,
of Edward Patfull on 23 and 30 September 1922, pages 35d and 32d,
of Mrs M.J. Thompson on 6 September 1924, page 39a.
CampdenSee Place Names - Camden.
The Register of 16 October 1879, page 5b says:
Sir Thomas Elder has made arrangements for the erection of a town at Morphettville. The houses and also a church, which are to be of wood, will be made in Canada... This township which is to be known as Campden will extend along the Bay Road between the Morphettville station of the Holdfast Bay line of railway and the racecourse.
The total destruction by fire of an old two-storeyed house will recall memories of the time when it, and two others similar to it, were erected at Camden, or 'Campden' as it was then called. An item in the Register on 16 October 1897 shows that in that year an American, named Stimson, owned a barque, Clifton, which arrived here on 11 June 1879 laden with American and Canadian goods, including three wooden, or frame houses, of Canadian manufacture. These were sold to Sir Thomas Elder who erected them at Camden, apparently with the idea of their being the nucleus of a wooden township or village, offering economical living quarters for settlers...
A railway station 11 km north-west of Bordertown was the name given to J. and C. Scott's station in 1851 (lease no. 149). The school opened in 1901 and closed in 1957. Professor N.B. Tindale says it is a corruption of camiaguigara, a clan of the Tatiara tribe while there is a Water Reserve (no. 24) beside section 228, Hundred of Wirrega which is known today as 'Cannawigara' and of particular interest is that it was formerly known as kanaweia - (weia - 'young woman'). No doubt, this could have been simply corrupted to 'Cannawigara' by early settlers.
Its school functioned from 1901 until 1957.
The golden wedding of Mr & Mrs T. Dart is reported in the Register,
10 December 1906, page 4i.
An obituary of Mrs Peter Low, the former wife of Adam Lindsay Gordon, is in the Observer,
6 December 1919, page 23d,
of J.C. Staude in the Register,
20 April 1927, page 10h.
The name of a station taken up by W.J. and J.H. Browne from 12 February 1846 'West of Mount Bryan'. It is derived from the Aboriginal kanya-owie - 'rock waterhole'
"Early Days at Canowie" is in the Register,
17 and 28 April 1925, pages 13c and 13g:
Mr. Thomas Goode who celebrated the 90th anniversary of his birth on 15 April 1925, gave an interview concerning his early activities on Canowie Station of which he was manager for 35 years...
I entertain some pleasant memories of the Canowie paddocks that ran up to and adjoined the Tongara run. Here grand hare shooting was obtainable... Foxes were unknown and coursing clubs not so numerous and one could make absolutely certain of a good shot at any time. In summer turkeys were plentiful but perhaps the well-watered Booborowie run was the better place than Canowie to go stalking the wily beauties.
We would leave the farm at about 2 am arriving at our destination at about an hour before daybreak. At the creek we would feed the horses and give them a short rest while we boiled the billy and munched a couple of home made cakes. At dawn the turkeys would fly in from their camping grounds for a drink and then begin foraging for grasshoppers among the tussocks. It was then all hands aboard the buggy, with the two shooters seated upon a bag of chaff roped on to the tailboard. Away we went over stones, dry water courses, stumps and anything that came in the way. When a bird was sighted we circled around it and at 80 to 90 yards the driver sent the nags in at top speed and we would, perhaps, get to within 40 or 50 yards before it took wing...
Information on the cattle station is in the Observer,
11 September 1880, page 425b,
28 March 1890, page 7h.
Details of the sale of the Canowie Run are in the Register,
4 November 1869, page 2g.
Its history is in the Observer,
5 April 1890, page 38e,
14 December 1903, page 8c.
Canowie Estate is described in the Register,
9 December 1909, page 9e and
its sale on
16 December 1909, page 7h,
11 and 18 December 1909, pages 22d and 33a,
25 December 1909, page 45a,
25 March 1925, page 9e.
An obituary of Thomas Goode is in the Register,
23 July 1926, page 10e.
"The Canowie Pastoral Case" is in the Register,
23 January 1919, page 10.
"The Passing of Canowie" in the Observer,
9 May 1925, page 46;
photographs are in the Observer,
7 March 1925, page 31.
The Register of
17 April 1867, page 3c talks of two proposed schools on the Canowie Run; also see Chronicle,
6 April 1867, page 5g.
Parliamentary Paper 22/1871 shows "Canowie School" being conducted by James Boddiner with 29 enrolled pupils.
Originally, there were two "Canowie" schools - in the Hundred of Whyte opened in 1870 and closed in 1902 and in the Hundred of Anne - 1895 to circa 1898.
A proposed Canowie Belt School is discussed in the Register,
28 May 1904, page 4f;
it opened as "Yongala Blocks" in 1901 and closed in 1914.
A photograph of students is in the Chronicle,
24 August 1933, page 37.
Mail communication is discussed in the Register,
1 July 1868, page 2f.
Also see South Australia - Communications - Mail and Postal.
The district is described in the Chronicle,
24 May 1873, page 5e.
The opening of the railway from Gladstone is reported in the Register,
19 February 1878, page 6.
Also see South Australia- Transport - Railways - Miscellany.
An obituary of W.J. Rayner is in the Register, 20 July 1905, page 4h,
of John McInerney on 18 January 1929, page 10f.
The golden wedding of Mr & Mrs John Burton is reported in the Observer,
5 September 1925, page 17d.
A photograph of the flooding of the road to Gladstone is in the Chronicle,
14 December 1933, page 34, Also see South Australia - Natural Disasters - Floods
of tennis teams on
9 May 1935, page 34.
On sections 58 and 59, Hundred of Neville 56 km NNW of Kingston, SE, named by Professor W.D. Williams of the University of Adelaide in 1983, after the adjoining property. The 'Cantara Run' (lease no. 822A) was held by George Bunn from May 1856.
An obituary of Richard Batton is in the Register,
16 May 1927, page 11g.
Cappeedee"A Visit to the Estate" is in the Chronicle,
2 February 1901, page 4e:
A visit to Capeedee is always interesting. One sees a fine a robust type of the merino and the master of Capeedee is always making improvements to the estate... It will be noted that the stud was laid by the late John Murray of Mount Crawford...
An obituary of W.A. Murray is in the Chronicle,
7 December 1901, page 33d.
Caralue, Hundred of
In the County of Buxton, proclaimed on 26 July 1917. An Aboriginal name given to a hill in the vicinity by Thomas Evans, a surveyor, in 1864. The 'Caralue Bluff Run' (lease no. 2588) was held by G. Standley from 1875. It is claimed that it refers to curlews, while SA Museum records say it means 'long way' or 'far off'.
A school of this name opened in 1929 and closed in 1942.
A photograph is in the Chronicle, 23 June 1932, page 34.
A photograph of wheat stacks at the railway station is in the Chronicle,
22 January 1931, page 35,
of a ladies' cricket team on
21 December 1933, page 38.
An Aboriginal word meaning 'creek', which was adopted for pastoral lease no. 2250 by W.A. Horn in 1872.
Information on farming in the Hundred is in the Advertiser,
4 April 1904, page 6c:
Driving along the mail track from Merghiny Well to Carawa three government tanks are passed, Waranda Tank being about 19 miles and Chimbigna about 29 miles from Merghiny... Carawa which has only been resumed for closer settlement during the past 8 or 9 years was formerly a sheep run and the old 'government house' wool sheds still remaining are occupied by agriculturists. At the homestead of the Potter Brothers there is a post office supplied by a fortnightly mail from Adelaide...
The district is described in the Register,
18 September 1906, page 6a.
A photograph of loading wheat is in the Chronicle,
30 June 1906, page 27.
Information on a jetty is in the Register,
21 September 1911, page 3f.
Its school operated from 1924 until 1940.
The "Hundred of Carawa School" opened in 1928 and in the same year had its name changed to "Carawa East";
it closed in 1937 and its portable classroom transferred to Mount Cooper in 1939.
CarclewOn 21 October 1850 Jonathan Roberts sold one acre out of section 7559, Hundred of Munno Para (GRO memorial book no. 26, page 327) and in 1855 a Primitive Methodist Chapel was erected thereon, becoming known as "Carclew". Its fourth anniversary is reported in the Register,
19 March 1859, page 2h:
The fourth anniversary of the Primitive Methodist Chapel was held on 13 March 1859... On the 14th March there was a public tea which was gratuitously provided by the ladies of the congregation following which was a public meeting in respect of the finances of the chapel...
A further chapel was erected on the site and opened in 1870 - see Register,
21 June 1870, page 5e.
Mr Roberts was born in Cornwall at Perranarworthal, near Penryn and about three miles north of that town is the "seat" of Carclew. (See Bartholomew's Gazetteer)
An Education Board report shows the school opening in 1856;
the Observer of 9 August 1856, page 1d (supp.) reports on examinations while the
Government Gazette of 26 April 1860 records the Gawler River School as being conducted in the Carclew Chapel. Also see Life Around the Light, page 136.
The name derives from the Old English crucgleu - cruc (or crug) - "burial ground" and cleu - "an enclosure".