Place Names of South Australia - D
Davenport, Hundred of - Dequetteville Terrace
- Davenport, Hundred of
- Davies Town
- Daw Park
- De Mole, Point
- De Mole, River
- Dead Man Pass
- Decres Bay
- Denial Bay
- Dequetteville Terrace
Davenport, Hundred ofA school of this name opened in 1896 and closed in 1951.
Also see Place Names - Beaumont.
Six kilometres ESE of Freeling in the Hundred of Nuriootpa. Thomas Davey (1796-1862) who, with his five sons, established mills at Penrice, Angaston, Eudunda, Salisbury and Adelaide.
Cotton growing by James Pycraft (Pycroft?) is reported in the Register, 22 September 1862, page 3a:
In respect of cotton growing in the district Mr. James Pycroft said in 1862: 'I contemplate having the produce of two acres out of the four I sowed , that is unless the plants are nipped off by the frost...'
Parliamentary Paper 34/1877 shows the school being conducted by Theodor Becker with 39 enrolled pupils;
it opened in 1867 and closed in 1970.
A photograph of Miss Alexander, a winner of a handicap tennis event in Adelaide, is in the Chronicle,
2 April 1904, page 43.
Also see South Australia - Sport - Tennis.
The town is described in the Register,
11 March 1910, page 10g.
Biographical details of Mrs Catherine M. Dienhoff are in the Register, 12 November 1908, page 6h.
An obituary of Mrs C.M. Dienhoff in the Register, 16 September 1910, page 6g,
Observer, 24 September 1910, page 47a.
Biographical details of Arnold E. Davey are in the Register,
26 April 1913,
of Mrs Edwin Davey on 1 July 1915, page 6h and
an obituary of Arnold Davey is in the Advertiser,
15 March 1920, page 7c,
15 March 1920, page 6h.
An obituary of Edwin Davey is in the Register, 9 November 1923, page 8h,
Advertiser, 9 November 1923, page 12h,
of Doris Domeyer, hotelier, in the Observer, 17 January 1914, page 41b,
of A.E. Davey on 20 March 1920, page 30b,
of Frank V. Davey in the Register, 10 June 1924, page 8f,
of Mrs Edwin Davey on 24 June 1926, page 8h.
The town was first offered for sale on 30 November 1865, diminished in 1929 and re-named 'Hanson' on 19 September 1940. Sir Richard Davies Hanson (1805-1876), former Chief Justice of South Australia.
A sale of town and suburban allotments is reported in the Chronicle,
2 December 1865, page 6b.
Information on the town is in the Observer, 4 May 1872, page 13g:
Though the station is Farrell's Flat, I believe that the township springing up around it is called Hanson, while another laid out by the government at some distance is called Davies... There is evidently a mistake somewhere... A vigorous effort to raise Davies in the scale of entities is to be made in the new Electoral Act, which proposes to make it a polling place...
A subdivision of section 1107, Hundred of Port Adelaide, (also known as 'Staplehurst'); now included in Exeter. William McKenzie created it in 1853 naming it after Thomas Davies, a one time proprietor of a local water service.
In 1852 Mr Davies was charged with manslaughter - see Register,
22, 25 and 28 December 1852, pages 3b, 3e and 3b:
On 21 December 1853 Thomas Davies, lessee of the waterworks on Lefevre Peninsula was charged with the manslaughter of Henry Hiern, Dennis Wood Hiern and Henry Holloway...
An 1875 subdivision of section 67, Hundreds of Port Adelaide and Yatala, bisected by John Street, by George Measday. The name occurs in Kent, England from whence he emigrated
The flooding of the village is reported in the Register, 31 May 1879, page 5d:
A deputation of five rate payers, headed by Mr. N.C. Pederson, waited upon the District Council of Glanville as to the recent flood in the township... We understand that the township was submerged for quite two feet with salt water rendering the natural soil unfit for gardening purposes for some time... It appears the Council knew of the danger to which the township was exposed, for when the resident who cut away the embankment began his destructive work it sent an official letter warning him of the danger attached to his proceeding.
A subdivision of part section 7, Hundred of Adelaide. The suburb was named in 1953 by the SA Housing Trust after an early settler in the district, John Wickham Daw (1796-1872).
John W. Daw's obituary is in the Express, 6 July 1872, page 2e:
Mr. J.W. Daw arrived in the Winchester in September 1838 and settled at St Mary's, Sturt in the following November, where he continued to reside with little intermission until his death on 2 July 1872. In earlier days he was identified with most of the local movements for promoting the advancement of the district and like a patriarch left behind him some lasting mementos of his worthiness...
In the Hundred of Kanmantoo 3 km west of Kanmantoo laid out by William Bower Dawes, solicitor and miller, who arrived in the Lady Fitzherbert in 1842. He built the first mill at Nairne, was a Member of Parliament from March to November 1857 later becoming manager of the Kanmantoo mine.
Parliamentary Paper 26/1875 shows the school being conducted by William Jenkinson with 41 enrolled pupils;
it opened in 1866 and had its name changed to "Native Valley" in 1904;
closed in 1943.
The town and district are described in the Register, 29 June 1892, page 5g:
Its early occupation was occasioned by the old Scott's Creek Smelting Works having been erected there, The cause of the selection of this site for that purpose was that the timber for the furnaces had been cleared for many miles around the Callington and Kanmantoo mines... The smelting premises, once owned by Mr. Alfred Hallett, are now in ruins... A bacon factory was established 15 years ago by Mr. Elias Davies...
The obituary of Mr W.B. Dawes is in the Register, 5 August 1869, page 2h,
of John Y. Crossman on 21 January 1901, page 5a, Observer, 26 January 1901, page 22a,
of T. Hope Murray on 2 December 1905, page 38b, Register, 30 November 1905, page 4i,
of Mrs Ellen E. Commyne on 21 August 1918, page 6f.
The golden wedding of Mr & Mrs Henry J. Watts is reported in the Register, 2 February 1928, page 8h.
The name comes from Devon, England and in the Domesday Book it was recorded as doelis - 'hallowed place'; the County had family associations for its nomenclator, Governor Jervois.
The school opened in 1886 and in 1894 was reopened as "Erskine".
Rodney Cockburn suggests it was named after Henry Dawson, a mail contractor but this explanation would appear to be conjecture because Governor Jervois, who dubbed it, invariably chose names of family or friends and the most likely candidate is Robert Kearsley Dawson (1798-1861) a Lt-Colonel in the Royal Engineers, who was educated at the Royal Military Academy at Woolwich. Alternatively, Robert Dawson (1776-1860) was employed in giving lessons in the art of topographical drawing to young officers of the Royal Engineers.
A sale of town allotments is reported in the Chronicle,
18 June 1881, page 12d.
Biographical details of Henry Dawson are in the Register,
18 July 1881 (supp.), page 2b.
Information on a proposed school is in the Register,
5 and 19 September 1883, pages 5c and 5g,
8 September 1883, page 6c,
8 and 22 September 1883, pages 30a and 34a;
it opened in 1885 and closed in 1964.
The laying of the foundation stone of the Catholic Church is reported in the Register,
11 March 1885, page 5a and
its opening in the Chronicle,
6 February 1886, page 9c.
A sports day is reported in the Advertiser,
31 May 1888, page 7d and
a horse race meeting in the Chronicle,
28 December 1889, page 21f; also see
5 January 1898, page 6g,
11 June 1904, page 31d.
A Catholic sports day is reported in the Observer,
28 March 1885, page 35c.
"Saint Patrick's Day at Dawson" is in the Chronicle,
25 March 1893, page 22d.
The town is described in the Register, 7 December 1891, page 7c:
There are two churches, two stores and a large hotel and we understand an Institute is to be built shortly... The country is covered with mallee and resinous shrubs and by the damp patches in the creek it is easily seen that water is available...
An obituary of Mrs James Thyer is in the Register,
14 July 1903, page 5a,
Observer, 25 July 1903, page 25e,
of Christopher Williams on 9 October 1909, page 40a,
of Samuel H. Dawson on 1 August 1925, page 45d.
"The Tragedy in the North" is in the Register,
15 October 1896, page 6a.
"Dynamite and Rabbits" is in the Chronicle,
14 April 1906, page 12a.
"Invasion of Rabbits" is in the Register,
27 November 1907, page 3f.
Also see South Australia - Flora and Fauna - Rabbits.
"A Mysterious Gold Deposit" is in the Register,
28 February 1907, page 4g.
Also see South Australia - Mining - Gold.
"Exciting Nocturnal Adventure" is in the Register,
27 March 1907, page 4f.
"A Farmer and Two Bulls" is in the Register,
23 August 1907, page 8c.
"Experiences of a Shooting Party" is in the Register,
6 September 1907, page 5e.
"Was it the Bunyip?" is in the Register,
25 December 1907, page 6g.
Also see South Australia - Flora and Fauna - Bunyips.
The golden wedding of Mr & Mrs A.F. Fuller is reported in the Register,
23 November 1909, page 4i.
An obituary of Mrs M. Fuller is in the Observer,
24 May 1913, page 41a.
"That Purple Weed [Salvation Jane] - Where it has Friends" is in the Register,
28 November 1910, page 3d.
A photograph of stallholders at a patriotic demonstration is in the Chronicle,
16 October 1915, page 29,
of a football team on
31 October 1935, page 36.
Comments on dry farming are in the Advertiser,
21 October 1931, page 9c.
De Mole, Point
In Streaky Bay, named by Captain Bloomfield Douglas, RN, of the vessel Yatala in 1857. George E. De Mole (1833-1918), secretary to the Marine Board, who accompanied him.
A proposed jetty is discussed in the Express, 14 August 1872, page 2g:
In 1872 the House of Assembly voted £1,200 for the construction of a jetty and work commenced in the latter half of that year...
A testimonial to Mr DeMole is reported in the Observer,
29 August 1874, page 12d,
12 September 1874, page 7c.
An obituary of E.M. DeMole is in the Observer,
25 November 1876, page 9g.
The retirement of G.E. DeMole is reported in the Register,
4 October 1888, page 5a.
Historical information is in the Register,
17 July 1928, page 12d.
De Mole, RiverThe Register of 17 April 1855 at page 2g says:
Grass trees and honeysuckle abound between Snug Cove and River DeMole... The watercourse is dry in summer in the bed of which, by sinking a few feet, good fresh water is to be obtained in abundance...
Dead Man Pass
In his reminiscences Boyle Travers Finniss says:
- Travelling with Colonel Light, on one occasion, before the selection of the Gawler survey, we encamped at the Gawler River, and whilst resting there we were surprised to find a dead man buried in an upright posture and plastered with clay. No part of the body was visible except the toes. The wild dogs discovered the corpse, and it had somewhat mangled feet. It was evidently a white man's burial place. The story which was circulated, in Adelaide, as to the cause of the death of this unfortunate man originated with a party under the charge of Mr Bernhard. It was stated that, travelling to the north, having a dray with them, on nearing the ford at the Gawler River, a man in a distracted state rushed from the scrub, west of the line of road, and fell down in an exhausted state, perishing from want of food and water. He was taken every care of, but died very soon after meeting this party, which preceded ours on its way to the north. They buried him in the tree and plastered him in to save the body from wild dogs. We afterwards called this tree "deadman's tree''.
The unearthing of remains during road construction at Gawler is reported in the Chronicle, 8 May 1869, page 7a:
As corporation workmen were employed forming a railway near the Dead Man's Pass, close to the old crossing place at the south end of Gawler, they came upon some bones and on further examination found a skull and most of the bones of a human body... The place where they were discovered has long been called Dead Man's Pass, from the fact of a person having died there... His remains were found by some horsemen crossing the river and interred at the foot of an old tree...
In Denial Bay, named by Baudin in 1803. Denis, Duc du Decr's (1761-1820), a French admiral; one of the positions he held was Minister of Marine and the Colonies, 1801-1815.
The bay and surrounding district are described in the Register,
9 November 1909, page 7h:
Decres Bay, which boasts an ideal harbour for shipping, - plenty of water and good protection from every wind - commands an enormous extent of unbroken country on either side and is destined to become one of the greatest shipping ports in the State...
15 July 1911, page 36e,
5 August 1911, page 44a,
16 September 1911, page 13a.
A photograph of sailing ships is in the Chronicle,
17 September 1910, page 32.
A controversy over its efficacy as a harbor vis a vis Streaky Bay is debated in the Advertiser,
23 May 1912, page 9e,
13 and 14 June 1912, pages 7h and 6f,
9 and 26 July 1912, pages 14e and 8h,
15 August 1912, page 12c,
10 December 1913, page 19a,
13 June 1912, page 10f.
The area was originally known as 'The Stockyards' but at a public meeting in 1859 the name of 'Glenburn' was adopted. However, in 1865, when applying to bring section 1522, Hundred of Yankalilla, under the provisions of The Real Property Act, Joel and James Cole (1821-1902, c.1825-1872) applied the name to the section for which six titles were issued in respect of various nominated owners.
Records in respect of its school are at variance - It apparently began as a licensed school in 1861 and was listed as "Rapid Bay (Stockyard Creek)", later as "Glenburn" and in 1876 as "Delamere"; closed in 1989.
An Arbor Day is reported in the Register,
29 August 1893, page 6e.
A photograph of pupils is in the Chronicle,
26 August 1911, page 29.
Also see South Australia - Education - Arbor Days.
A dinner for Mr J. Ladyman is reported in the Farmers Weekly Messenger,
8 September 1876, page 3a.
"Early Days at Delamere" is in the Observer,
11 December 1920, page 4d.
The settlement and surrounding district are described in the Register,
20 April 1892, page 6c.
"Early Days at Delamere" appears on
2 December 1920, page 10h:
On towards Delamere land owned by the SA Company is passed on both sides of the road; next a small orchard with vines belonging to Mr. Way. At Mr. Blenkenstein's another is met with and the fruit trees bear well without irrigation. Apples are dried on a small scale for home consumption... A stack of wattle bark is noticed on the roadside awaiting transport to Cornish and Co's mill. At George Willis's there is an orchard and the land is used for the growth of hay and peas...
A sports day is reported in the Chronicle,
13 May 1905, page 11d,
19 May 1906, page 15e,
10 May 1907, page 9c.
The golden wedding of Mr & Mrs George Bennett is reported in the Register,
30 October 1920, page 8h,
an obituary of George Bennett is in the Register,
8 December 1924, page 8g.
Biographical details of Mrs Cook are in the Register,
24 July 1925, page 10h, 1 April 1926, page 15c.
Delamere - Obituaries
An obituary of A.G. Aish is in the Observer, 24 February 1906, page 38c,
of Thomas Lord on 18 August 1917, page 19a,
of William Christie on 7 April 1923, page 35a,
of J.H. Morris on 27 February 1926, page 37a.
An obituary of William Christie is in the Register, 29 March 1923, page 8f,
of F. Collins on 7 June 1923, page 6h,
of Mrs Cook on 15 October 1927, page 11f,
of Samuel J. Lord on 31 August 1928, page 13c.
Was the name of a small agricultural settlement near Gawler. The name derives from the Gaelic dail-odharain - 'field of the cow-parsnip'.
The News of 8 August 1929 has a photograph of:
One of the first stone houses to be built in South Australia... It is called Deloraine, and from it the Deloraine Gold Mines, about half a mile away, take their title.
A gold discovery at this place by James Scott is reported in the Register,
11 September 1871, page 5a,
16 September 1871, page 4c,
1 October 1910, page 12e,
5 December 1914, page 45b:
Gold was discovered on Section 117 about 1½ miles from Mount Pleasant. The land is the private property of Mr. James Scott...
"Dividend from Local Gold Mine" is in the Register,
21 July 1916, page 5a.
A photograph is in the Chronicle,
22 October 1910, page 34,
9 December 1911, page 30; also see
24 March 1923, page 46a,
11 September 1930, page 37.
The bay was named by Matthew Flinders on 7 February 1802, because of 'the deceptive hope we had formed of penetrating by it some distance into the interior of the country'.
A sports day is reported in the Chronicle,
3 October 1896, page 27b,
16 October 1897, page 26a.
Its school opened in 1897 and closed in 1945.
"The Denial Bay Murder" is in the Chronicle,
25 November 1899, page 21a,
23 December 1899, page 15d,
20 January 1900, page 16a.
The first annual show is reported in the Observer,
19 September 1903, page 6e (supp.);
17 October 1905, page 9b; also see
9 November 1907, page 44c;
a photograph of the committee appears on
9 November 1907, page 30:
The first annual show under the auspices of the Charra, Denial and Murat Bay Agricultural Society was held on the grounds at Denial Bay on 4 September 1903.... The committee, under the presidency of Mr. W. McKenzie, who showed a good example himself by erecting a showroom, fencing off the grounds, etc., worked very hard to make a success of the affair. All the labour in connection with the show, as well as the material, such as roofing, timber, stones, etc., were given gratuitously...
A jetty is discussed in the Observer,
8 July 1905, page 15c.
The town and district are described in the Advertiser,
23 and 28 August 1906, pages 8f and 7h,
28 September 1906, page 7a,
14 June 1912, page 10g,
17 December 1913, page 6a.
Photographs are in the Chronicle,
11 August 1906, page 29,
2 July 1910, page 32.
A horse race meeting is reported in the Chronicle,
6 April 1907, page 22e.
Also see South Australia - Sport - Horse Racing.
A photograph of the football club is in the Chronicle,
9 November 1907, page 30,
of the Bank of Adelaide on
17 June 1911, page 30,
of stacking wheat in the Observer,
5 April 1913, page 32,
of a ladies' football team in the Chronicle, on
7 July 1928, page 42,
of the post office on
11 July 1929, page 36.
A proposition that this is the place "Where Men Want Wives" is pleaded in the Advertiser,
29 December 1909, page 4h.
Information on a Lutheran mission is in the Express,
16 November 1911, page 1e.
The town and school are discussed in the Observer,
22 June 1912, page 12b.
"A Dip Into Old History" is in the Advertiser,
23, 25 and 29 April 1912,
1 May 1912, page 11a.
"Denial Bay Settlers - A Stimulating Review" is in the Observer,
20 December 1913, page 13c.
The reminiscences of Mr E.A Hoffrichter are in the Chronicle,
27 July 1933, page 5.
Dequetteville TerraceThe name appears as "Dequeteville" on a plan of the subdivision of Kent Town lodged in the General Registry Office (no. 226 of 1854) by the subdividers, Henry Ayers and James Robin. The latter was born in Guernsey, Channel Isles in 1817 and his mother was a daughter of Rev John de Quetteville, the first Wesleyan Minister in the Channel Isles. See The Christian and Methodist Journal,
10 August 1894, page 4a (copy in Mortlock Library),
28 July 1894, page 30b,
11 August 1894, page 8a.
An obituary of Mrs James Robin is in the Observer,
10 August 1907, page 40c.
A proposal by the Norwood Council to alter its name is debated in the Register,
5, 13, 17 and 18 June 1867, pages 2e, 3b, 3d and 3f,
7 and 22 August 1867, pages 2h and 2h.
The control of the terrace is discussed in the Register,
1 August 1877, page 7f.
The opening of a fountain is reported in the Observer,
1 December 1877, page 12f.
Also see Place Names - Kent Town.