Place Names of South Australia - E
Eurilpa - Eyre Peninsula
- Euro Bluff
- Euromudla Hill
- Everard Park
- Everard, Hundred of
- Ewen Hill
- Ewens Creek (or Ponds)
- Eyre Flat
- Eyre, Lake
- Eyre Peninsula
A corruption of the Aboriginal jurilpa, meaning either 'paired ears' or'sharp pointed hills'.
A sports event held on Messrs Kerr's paddock is reported in the Register,
3 January 1884, page 7d; also see
5 November 1887, page 22e,
3 January 1891, page 3f,
5 January 1893, page 7b:
Eurilpa sports were held in Messrs Kerr brothers' paddock on Christmas Day, 1884. The place selected was on a suitable flat, having a fine row of trees to shade the pleasure seekers throughout the day. This being the first sports of the kind, a good deal of enthusiasm was manifested. Mr. Kenny, of Carrieton, had a booth on the ground which was well patronised...
Its school opened in 1888 and closed in 1908.
It, no doubt, has some association with the steamer Eurimbla which was built at Osborne in 1921.
The launching of the Eurimbla is reported in the Register,
19 April 1921, page 4f:
The Eurimbla will be named and launched by Lady Weigall... The work of building the ship commenced early in 1920. She is a vessel of 6,000 tons dead... The event will be a novel and interesting one, owing to the size of the vessel and the importance of this big industry to the State...
Also see Register,
17 and 19 November 1921, pages 8d and 8e.
Photographs are in the Chronicle,
30 April 1921, page 25; also see
26 November 1921, pages 29-42a,
26 November 1921, page 23,
27 April 1921, page 14.
A report in the Advertiser, on 14 August 1922, page 14e says:
[The ship] was named by the Commonwealth Government but no information is available locally as to the origin of the name.
Euro BluffInformation on the pastoral property is in the Observer, 12 January 1924, page 16c:
The lease of this station was first granted to Louis Kell in 1863 and was only held by him for a year when Thomas Guy became the lessee; William Fowler took over in 1869 and Gilbert Richardson was installed as manager... In the 1880s the station was sold at public auction to the Bowman brothers...
Derived from the Aboriginal yurro-mina - 'place of the lizard's eye'.
The Euromina School opened in 1915 and closed in 1950.
Euromudla HillSouth-East of Lake Torrens. Aboriginal for kangaroo head; the hill is supposed to resemble the head of this animal; euro - "kangaroo" and mudla - "head".
In the early 1860s William Bakewell purchased portion of section 279, Hundred of Adelaide and subdivided it into one to twenty-acre blocks suitable for vineyards, calling it 'Bakewell Town'. On 1 January 1861 Henry Goss registered the purchase of lot 50 of the subdivision comprising 12 acres and on it he built a house calling it 'Evandale'. (By 1880 hard times had befallen Henry Goss and in 1885 his 'Evandale House' was offered for sale by the mortgagee.)
In 1876 Francis Opie subdivided lot 36 and called it Evendale (sic) while in December 1881 Henry Woodcock created Evandale out of lots 37, 38 and 39; this subdivision lay between Bakewell Rd. and Jones St. and was bisected by Belinda, Morris (see Place Names - Saint Morris ) and Elizabeth Streets.
The name was also given to a subdivision of fourteen sections in the Hundred of Jellicoe into large rural blocks by Frederick L. and Mary A. Evans in 1914. He was a great-grandson of George Fife Angas whose daughter Sarah married Henry Evans who, in February 1851, described his property as Evandale on the Rhine.
A letter from Mr Evans is in the Observer,
23 November 1844, page 4c.
Mr Evans' winemaking is discussed in the Register,
21 February 1860, page 3d;
his vineyards are described in the Advertiser,
29 January 1862, page 2e.
Also see South Australia - Industries - Rural, Primary and Secondary - Viticulture
A presentation to Henry Evans is reported in the Register,
8 January 1867, page 2e.
A notice of the death of Henry Evans is in the Register,
16 April 1868, page 3e;
also see Place Names - North Rhine.
A memorial is described on
26 August 1868, page 2f:
An order for two tablets sent to the marble works of Mrs Kellet, Waymouth Street, has been executed in a highly satisfactory manner and the tablets have been sent to their several destinations to be fixed under the direction of Mrs Kellet's manager. One tablet was installed in a church at Angaston and the other at North Rhine...
The opening of a new Independent Chapel is reported in the Chronicle,
18 November 1865,
20 November 1865, page 3e.
The diamond wedding of Mr & Mrs F.L. Gericke is reported in the Register,
30 October 1907, page 4h;
his obituary is in the Register,
28 April 1915, page 6g,
1 May 1915, page 45b.
A report of the laying of the foundation stone of a new Congregational Church within the Adelaide suburb is reported in the Register,
13 February 1928, page 6e.
Evandale - Obituaries
An obituary of Sarah Lindsay Evans is in the Register,
8 and 10 June 1898, pages 4i and 7g.
An obituary of Henry A. Evans is in the Register, 5 September 1901, page 5b,
Observer, 7 September 1901;
also see 27 December 1902, page 33e.
An obituary of Samuel Ellis is in the Observer,
18 February 1899, page 15b,
of Mrs Frances Morris, hotelier, on 26 December 1903, page 33a,
of Andrew Logan on 8 May 1909, page 38a,
of Frederick Buder on 25 April 1914, page 39a,
of Mrs W. Lapthorne on 13 November 1915, page 46a.
An obituary of Elijah Bowen is in the Register,
21 May 1928, page 11f,
of Mrs Angas Evans on 16 October 1928, page 13f.
Also see Place Names - Ashford.
Dr Charles G. Everard arrived in South Australia in 1836 and farmed land in the Unley district from 1838 until his death in 1876.
The name commemorates the Everard family, who held sections 43 and 44 for over seventy years.
An 1837 letter written by Dr C.G. Everard is reproduced in the Register,
30 December 1901, page 6f.
An obituary of C.J. Everard is in the Observer, 30 July 1892, page 34c;
also see 3 September 1892, page 29d,
of Ralph Everard on 19 September 1908, page 42a,
of C.E. Everard on 16 January 1915, page 42a,
of W.F. Everard on 20 February 1915, page 42a.
A photograph of "Everard Estate, Forestville" is in The Critic,
3 February 1909, page 12.
An obituary of Mrs Charlotte Everard is in the Register,
12 January 1915, page 4h.
Everard, Hundred of
William Everard, MP (1865-1872).
Also see South Australia - Politics
A school of this name was opened in 1882 and closed in 1903;
Everard Central School opened in 1910 and had its name changed to "Everard East" in 1915;
closed in 1937.
Everard West School operated from 1901 until 1943;
Lake Everard Rural School opened in 1968 and closed in 1969.
William Everard's obituary is in the Register,
26 August 1889, page 5h.
"Pioneering Work of Dr Everard" is in the Chronicle,
21 November 1935, page 50.
EverleyThe Observer of 22 August 1857, page 1g (supp.) reports a ploughing match at this place within the Tinpot Special Survey:
The spot selected for the ploughing match was section 1354 on the Tinpot Special Survey occupied by William Howlett and adjoining the inn... The entire setlement is of recent date...
A school in the Hundred of Light; opened in 1864 it closed in 1869.
An anniversary of the Eversden Primitive Methodist Church is reported in the Register,
30 December 1867, page 2f.
Ewen HillA proposed post office at this place for the residents of the Hundreds of Mann and Hawker is discussed in the Observer, 10 April 1886, page 31.
Ewens Creek (or Ponds)
East of Port MacDonnell. Prior to July 1939 it was named 'Eight Mile Creek', its present name being adopted at the behest of the local district council. Thomas Charles Ewens held section 355, Hundred of MacDonnell and one day in the 1870s while out shooting he heard the honking of wild geese and, attempting to locate them, found the ponds. A Mortlock Library note says:
- The original name was "Thomas Ewens Springs Ponds''. The reason for this designation was that his three elder brothers, William, John and Wolford, were also known in the South-East'
Thomas Ewens Springs Ponds are described in Parliamentary Paper 112/1878.
On 18 May 1850, Philip Levi purchased sections 1104-1107, Hundred of Port Adelaide. By April 1851 section 1106 was owned by John Lapthorne, who subdivided it sometime before January 1854, but the name of Exeter doesn't appear on official documents until 1882 when William Wells cut up part of section 1106. John Lapthorne arrived in South Australia in the Orissa in 1840. He was born at Exeter, Devonshire in 1807 and died at Exeter, Adelaide in 1889.
A report on larrikinism is in the Register, 20 February 1885, page 5b:
A baptism in dirty ditch water, and "a wiping with an oaken towel" or a judicial flagellation, are held to be amongst the most effective recipes for treating this larrikinism, only as in the cooking of hares, they must first be caught.
23 January 1892, page 5b.
Also see South Australia - Industries - Rural, Primary and Secondary - Viticulture
The golden wedding of Mr & Mrs Thomas Todd is reported in the Register,
24 December 1904, page 7a.
Biographical details of George W. Purvis are in the Observer,
27 May 1911, page 33b.
"Burglars at Exeter" is in the Register,
26 June 1911, page 7b.
"Trains and Trams at Exeter" is in the Register, 30 May 1917, page 6d:
Considerable apprehension has been felt by the residents of Exeter over the fact that the new tram lines cross the rails at a busy point in the district. It was explained that the Railways Commissioner had objected to the crossing and a bridge was segregated. Residents objected to that and the matter was referred to the North Terrace Reserves Commission... This body reported in favour of a level crossing and the system is now in operation... People are now able to travel from Albert Park, between Alberton and Cheltenham, to Largs and Semaphore and there remains a gap of only three miles to Hindmarsh to link up Adelaide to those watering places by the electric system...
Also see Adelaide - Transport - Railways
Information on Oldfield's Bakery is in the Register,
15 December 1927, page 9f;
a fire is reported on
24 July 1928, page 10f.
A schoolgirl's essay is in the Register,
8 August 1929, page 9a.
Biographical details of Mrs M.A. Phillips are in the Register,
4 February 1930, page 23b.
Exeter - Obituaries
An obituary of John Lawder is in the Register, 18 November 1887, page 5d,
of Samuel Pearce on 29 November 1893, page 5c,
of R. Woolnough in the Chronicle, 26 October 1895, page 21d.
An obituary of William Goldsworthy is in the Register, 6 March 1899, page 5a,
of William Barrett on 11 December 1899, page 5d,
of Paul Badcock on 30 July 1900, page 4h,
of Mrs William Barrett on 21 May 1901, page 5b,
of George Shand on 29 July 1902, page 4i,
of Mrs Jane G. Heslop on 15 September 1902, page 4h,
of Thomas Matthew on 24 January 1903, page 7c,
of John Glover on 1 June 1904, page 6h,
of C.C.B. Silby on 3 August 1907, page 7a,
of Captain A.J. Hayward on 6 September 1907, page 7a.
An obituary of James Rendall is in the Observer, 15 December 1906, page 34d,
of Thomas Todd on 14 September 1912, page 41a,
of Mrs Margaret Corston on 18 January 1913, page 41a,
of Mrs E. Oldfield on 20 January 1917, page 20a,
of Mrs Mary P. Smith (nee Buck) on 10 August 1918, page 19a,
of Mrs Ellen Frank on 1 May 1920, page 13d,
of M.J. Curtin on 18 June 1921, page 34b,
of James H. Cranna on 26 February 1927, page 43c.
An obituary of Edward Parker is in the Register, 28 February 1907, page 5a,
of T.H. Parker on 9 October 1912, page 13c,
of George Hounslow on 3 February 1914, page 8a,
of Mrs Ellen Frank on 23 April 1920, page 7b,
of M.J. Curtis on 14 June 1921, page 4i,
of Mrs Jane Matthew on 9 November 1921, page 8f,
of Mrs Edith D. Joss on 17 December 1926, page 10f.
An obituary of Mrs Mary Silva is in the Register, 16 June 1927, page 8g,
of Captain George Tainsh on 24 April 1928, page 15h.
The name of Edward John Eyre, overlander and explorer, is commemorated by many features of South Australia.
A letter from E.J. Eyre in respect of his overlanding from NSW is in the Southern Australian,
21 July 1838, page 4b; also see
13 February 1871, page 2e.
"Mr Kingsley's Charges Against South Australia" is in the Register,
23 February 1866, page 2d.
"Mr Eyre in England" is in the Register,
13 December 1866, page 2d.
"Relics of Eyre's Expedition" to Western Australia are commented upon in the Observer,
24 March 1883, page 29d,
8 February 1882, page 5g and
16 November 1887, page 7f,
8 and 22 January 1902, pages 6e and 7i,
25 January 1902, page 29b,
15 February 1902, page 22c.
A feature article on John Cole(s), a member of both Captain Grey's and E.J. Eyre's expeditions, is in the Register, 1 May 1886, page 6a. His nephew, Joseph Stear Cole, was prominent in Auburn and Watervale affairs.
"Mr Eyre's Search for Mr Dutton" is in the Observer,
19 January 1901, page 33b.
"The Adventures of Eyre" is in the Register,
20 and 21 November 1901, pages 8f and 8f;
his obituary appears on
4 December 1901, pages 4e-6d; also see
7 December 1901, page 4d,
8 and 22 January 1902, pages 6e and 7i.
"Centenary of Edward John Eyre" is celebrated on
6 August 1915, page 9a.
"Eyre's Travelling Companion - A Sketch of E.B. Scott" is in the Register,
28 December 1905, page 6c.
"The Story of Eyre" is in The Mail,
14 August 1915, page 2d.
Information on his letters to Edward Bate Scott is in the Advertiser,
29 August 1931, page 5g.
Eyre FlatThe laying of the foundation stone of a Bible Christian Chapel at Eyre Flat West is reported in the Observer,
17 November 1860, pages 3c-d:
On 8 November 1860 the foundation stone of a Bible Christian Chapel was laid 'at Mr. Baker's place' by Mr. Riddell, minister...
Its opening is reported in the Register,
2 February 1861, page 2h,
7 March 1862, page 3b.
It was discovered on 14 August 1840 from a high bank, now called Eyre Lookout. Governor MacDonnell named the lake in October 1860 after G.W. Goyder and his survey team had 'clearly delineated the northern end of Lake Torrens and the southern portion of the big lake beyond'. In 1877, it was found to be two lakes connected by a channel. (SeePlace Names - Babbage, Mount.)
A chronological history of the naming of the lake is in the Register, 12 July 1902, pages 3- 10b; it commences:
1858, named Lake Gregory by Babbage; 1858, called a 'large lake' by Warburton; in 1859 the SA government recognised Babbage as the discoverer; 1859, Governor MacDonnell made an exploratory trip and called it Lake Torrens; 1860, Babbage's 'discovery' doubted; 1860, SA Register declares 'both lakes discovered by Eyre'...
Informative editorials appear in the Register,
27 January 1860, page 2h and
19 November 1860, page 2g; also see
28 January 1860, page 3b for a dissenting letter from B.H. Babbage in respect of the former. Also see
16 July 1864, page 1e (supp.).
A letter from W.D. Kekwick is in the Register,
14 July 1864, page 2d.
An editorial entitled "Exploration of Lake Eyre" is in the Observer,
3 October 1874, page 13d,
19 June 1875, page 4f; also see
20 February 1882, page 4f and
2 March 1882 (supp.), page 2b,
12 December 1892, page 4e.
"A Trip to the Country North of Lake Eyre" is in the Register,
8 November 1880 and
an account of fossil hunting on
24 January 1902, page 3g.
"The Lake Eyre Canal" is in the Register,
24 April 1883, page 5b.
"The Artesian Water Supply - Lake Eyre Basin" is in the Observer,
18 July 1896, page 41d.
Also see South Australia - Northern Lands Development and Allied Matters - Water, Artesian Wells and Springs
"Expedition to Lake Eyre" is in the Register,
14 November 1901, page 4e.
"Geological Expedition to Lake Eyre" on
21 December 1901, page 33a; also see
12 July 1902, page 38,
22 March 1902, page 35a.
"Fossil Hunting at Lake Eyre" is in the Register,
24 January 1902, page 3g,
1 February 1902, page 33a.
"The Lake Eyre Basin - Flooding From the Sea" is in the Advertiser,
7 July 1902, page 6d,
"Flooding the Interior" on
18 May 1905, pages 4d-5i; also see
20 June 1922, page 9a.
An account of Mr Halligan's flight over the lake is in the Register,
28 June 1922, page 8f.
Also see Place Names - Halligan Bay
Information on R.T. Madigan's exploration is in the Register,
26 December 1929, page 3a.
Also see Place Names - Madigan Gulf