Place Names of South Australia - F
Finsbury Park - Flinders Ranges
- Finsbury Park
- First Creek
- Fisher, Hundred of
- Fitton, Mount
- Flagstaff Hill
- Flaxman Valley
- Fleurieu Peninsula
- Flinders Island
- Flinders Park
- Flinders Ranges
The name 'Finsbury' comes from England and it was not recorded until the 13th century 'when it must have been a fortified manor [of] Finn (probably a Dane)'.
The laying of the foundation stone of the Baptist Church is reported in the Register,
18 May 1914, page 4e:
The foundation stone of a Baptist Church was laid at Sheridan Street on 16 May 1914 by Sir Charles Goode. The old galvanised iron building at the rear of the new edifice had done good service and the connection has seen many ups and downs since it was built 21 years ago...
Information on a proposed school is in the Register,
18 June 1914, page 6e.
Edward Castres Gwynne was born at Lewes in Sussex, England which is near the towns of Firle and Glynde, while his father was the Rector of Glynde. He arrived in South Australia in the Lord Goderich in April 1838 and shortly afterwards purchased 500 acres of land on the foothills east of Adelaide. He was elected to the first representative Parliament in 1857 and twenty years later was appointed a judge, a position he held until he retired in 1881. He laid out the suburb in 1881 on sections 303 and 265, Hundred of Adelaide contiguous to Glynde.
An obituary of William H. Martin is in the Observer,
7 December 1907, page 40a.
First CreekThe Register of 2 February 1856, page 4c has an interesting letter re an alleged illegal damming of the creek:
For the last two or three years the people of Norwood and Kent Town, through whose land First Creek used to run at this time the year, have had to deplore its premature dribble and final exhaustion... From Howitt's Mill downwards the water is dammed up by one and another until the immense evaporation of summer exhausts its overflow and what might and ought to be a blessing to thousands is monopolised by a few without let or hindrance...
Fisher, Hundred of
Sir James Hurtle Fisher, MLC, (1857-1865). Sir John Jeffcott categorised him as 'a wily attorney, the very worst class of person that could have been selected for the office' [Resident Commissioner].
Also see South Australia - Politics.
Mr Fisher's obituary is in the Register,
29 January 1875, page 4f.
This feature in the North Flinders Ranges is about 12 km east of the present-day Mt Fitton talc mine and about 15 km west of Moolawatana. It was named by B.H. Babbage in 1856 after Dr William Henry Fitton an eminent London geologist. (See Map no. C77 in the Mortlock Library.)
In 1851 Babbage, a geologist, was appointed by Earl Grey to proceed to South Australia and make a mineralogical survey on the recommendation of Sir Henry de la Beche, an ex-president of the Geological Society of London.
Dr Fitton was President of the Geological Society in 1827, and in 1835 and 1836 was a member of the Council of the Society when Henry de la Beche, later Sir Henry, was its Foreign Secretary. Dr Fitton was also an associate of Babbage's father, Charles Babbage, a mathematician who, though not a Fellow of the Society, frequently attended its meetings.
The mine is described in the Chronicle,
5 March 1892, page 5f,
19 March 1892, page 7d;
"Mount Fitton Fields" in the Express,
10 February 1899, page 3f,
18 February 1899, page 22b,
15 July 1899, page 20 (includes a description of the town); also see
17 June 1899, page 6g,
24 June 1899, page 5b,
9 and 11 November 1899, pages 6f and 11a and
the township and mine in the Advertiser,
28 June 1899, page 6f.
Also see South Australia - Mining - Coal
An obituary of Gilbert B. Richardson is in the Observer,
21 July 1906, page 38c.
Information on the first post office and store is in the Advertiser,
8 October 1931, page 10i.
Its Aboriginal name is Akurra Vadnhi; Akurra was a dream-time serpent.
See Dorothy Tunbridge, Flinders Ranges Dreaming.
In 1882, William E. Churcher and George Churcher of Southampton, England were the trustees of the estate of the late William Thorngate and, as such, were the registered proprietors of sections 2064-65, Hundred of Yatala. (See Place Names - Thorngate.) They subsequently leased portion of section 2065 to Messrs E.R. Simpson, W. Gilbert and C. Wilcox who subdivided the land and, as registered lessees of allotments, disposed of the subdivision by under-lease under the 'old system' of land tenure:
- To be let on lease for a term of say 40 years large allotments in the township of Fitzroy... [it] is without exception the best unoccupied suburb east of Adelaide; the views of the hills and the gulf are very fine... If carried out the Nailsworth tramway will pass immediately in front of the allotments facing the Main North Road.
Information on a cricket team is in the Express,
1 October 1888, page 4b:
The inaugural meeting of the Fitzroy Cricket Club was held at the Caledonian Hotel, North Adelaide, on 26 September 1888, when Mr. J. Lock presided. Eighteen members were enrolled and the following officers appointed: Patron, Hon. G.C. Hawker; Presidents, Messrs L. Cohen, MP, and C. Willcox; Honorary Secretary and Treasurer, Mr. T. Dobbs; Assistant Secretary, Mr. E. Cant; Committeemen, Messrs Bellhouse, Doddridge and Clark...
Information on a tennis club is in the Express,
22 January 1889, page 4c,
on a football team on
30 March 1895, page 6g.
Also see South Australia - Sport - Tennis
An obituary of Mrs Thomas Neill is in the Observer,
21 November 1908, page 40a,
of Mrs Eliza Charters on 9 August 1913, page 41a,
of Mrs Jane Lockwood on 10 June 1916, page 32c,
of Mrs Margaret deMole on 28 December 1918, page 19a,
of Charles Wilcox on 10 September 1921, page 29d.
An obituary of J.W. Sandford is in the Register,
4 July 1912, page 6i,
of John Donnell on 28 March 1918, page 6h,
of George Stone on 17 February 1922, page 6i.
A subdivision of sections 24-25 by Hooker Town Developments Pty Ltd in 1967. The hill was used as a trig point in the early days of the colony.
An obituary of E.J. Barker is in the Register,
10 September 1912, page 13a,
of Thomas Watts on
23 April 1918, page 4g.
Eight kilometres north of Macclesfield, named after a village in Gloucestershire meaning 'flax meadow'.
Information on the school is in the Chronicle, 20 September 1902, page 15a:
Visiting day was celebrated at the school in September 1902 and a large number of parents and friends availed themselves of the opportunity of inspecting the work done by the children during the year... Mrs F. Smith judged the needlework and awarded the first prize to Amy Fry. Florrie Sutherland obtained the second and the third was secured by Doris Mustard...
The golden wedding of Mr & Mrs James Mott is reported in the Register,
3 June 1905, page 4g,
10 June 1905, page 1a (supp.).
Five kilometres north-west of Eden Valley. Charles Flaxman, who was in the employ of George Fife Angas.
Charles Flaxman's death is reported in the Register,
9 November 1869, page 2e.
Flaxman River was named by Johannes Menge - see Adelaide Chronicle,
21 April 1840, page 3c.
An obituary of John Flaxman is in the Register,
4 and 9 February 1901, pages 4h and 7a.
Charles-Pierre Claret, Comte de Fleurieu, a member of the council which prepared instructions for Baudin's voyage. He held the post of Minister of Marine in 1790 and was counsellor and friend of Napoleon. The name was bestowed in 1911 following a visit to South Australia of Count A. de Fleurieu, a grand-nephew of the aforementioned Count.
Reminiscences of early settlement, by Y.B. Hutchinson, are in the Register,
7 July 1866, page 3g.
Portion of it is described in the South Australian,
7 October 1845, page 2c and
8 January 1850, page 3c.
"Notes on a Holiday Ramble to the South" is in the Register,
9 January 1856, page 2e,
12 January 1856, page 6e.
"Nomenclature - Our Southern Waters in 1837" is in the Register,
18 January 1919, page 5e.
"The Southern Routes" is in the Chronicle,
19 November 1859, page 4e.
"Opening of Bridges in the South District" is in the Register,
3 August 1863, page 3e,
8 August 1863, page 3f (supp.); also see
8 May 1865, page 3a,
13 September 1865, page 3b.
Vineyards are described in the Chronicle,
9 April 1864, page 3d.
"Among the Vineyards" is in the Advertiser,
10, 11 and 12 April 1894, pages 6c, 6c and 6a.
Also see South Australia - Industries - Rural, Primary and Secondary - Viticulture.
"The South" is in the Observer,
19 and 26 May 1866, pages 6g and 6h.
A coach trip through the peninsula is reported in the Advertiser,
17 and 18 May 1866, pages 2g and 3a.
Also see South Australia - Transport - Horse Coaches
"The Southern District" is in the Chronicle,
11 August 1866, page 4a.
"Requirements of the South" is in the Observer,
12 October 1867, page 2d.
"Our Southern Sea Coast" is in the Register,
11 December 1867, page 2c,
"The Resources of the South" on
31 December 1867, page 2e.
"Our Southern Sea Coast" is in the Observer,
4 January 1868, page 12f,
11 December 1867, page 2c,
"The Resources of the South" on
31 December 1867, page 2e,
"The Road; The Rail; The Rocks" in the Express,
14 July 1869, page 2b.
"Steam Communication With the South" is in the Register,
31 August 1868, page 2g,
1 October 1868, page 2d,
3 October 1868, page 7e.
Also see South Australia - Maritime Affairs.
"Christmas in the South" is in the Chronicle,
1 January 1870, page 6f.
"A Christmas Holiday in SA" is in the Register,
30 December 1892, page 7a.
Also see South Australia - The Colony - Christmas in South Australia
During "A Visit to a Southern Stud" the author describes places and scenery on the peninsula -
see Register, 3 January 1870, page 2d.
A sketch of the "Little Gorge" is in the Illustrated Adelaide Post,
20 May 1871, page 1.
"Grievances of the South" is in the Observer,
4 May 1872, page 4f.
"My Impressions of the South" is in the Advertiser,
23 February 1876, page 5e.
A Week on the [Bicycle] Wheel" is in the Register,
27 January 1883, page 1b (supp.).
Also see South Australia - Sport - Cycling.
An Easter holiday excursion is described in the Register,
23 April 1885, page 7d; also see
30 December 1892, page 7a.
"Holiday Jottings and Reflections" is in the Register,
30 March 1886, page 6c.
"A Trip Down South" is in the Observer,
12 November 1887, page 9c.
A weekly series of articles commence in the Observer,
2 April 1892, page 9c.
"A Trip to Cape Jervis" is in the Observer,
9 February 1895, page 35a.
"The Southern District - Crops and Industries" is in the Register,
15 November 1902, page 8f; also see
6 and 8 December 1902, pages 8c and 4h,
"A Trip in Arcadia" in the Advertiser,
8 April 1905, page 9f,
"The Picturesque South" on
3 January 1911, page 12a,
"Through the South" in the Register on
19 and 30 July 1912, pages 9c and 9b.
"The Soothing South" is in the Register,
8 December 1902, page 4h.
"A Trip on the South Road" is in the Express,
24 March 1905, page 4f.
"Dairying in the South" is in the Observer,
2 September 1905, page 14d.
Also see South Australia - Industries - Rural, Primary and Secondary - Dairying
An interview with Count de Fleurieu is reported in the Register,
12 May 1911, page 5c; also see
27 May 1911, page 15c.
"French Names Not Wanted" is in the Advertiser,
26 April 1912, page 6e,
"French Names Adopted" on
11 February 1913, page 8f.
"Utilizing the Land" is in the Observer,
15 June 1912, page 12a.
"The Other Side of the Bluff" is in the Register,
21 March 1919, page 6e.
"Some Burial Grounds of the South" is in the Register,
7 January 1924, page 5i,
26 March 1925, page 4a.
The explorations of Matthew Flinders have been immortalised in history books and need no repetition here. In South Australia he is remembered by numerous place names such as Hundred of Flinders, Flinders Chase National Park, etc.
"The Voyage of Captain Matthew Flinders" is in the Advertiser,
18 August 1885, page 5f.
"The Daughter of Captain Flinders" is in the Observer,
11 September 1858, page 4c.
"The Log of the Investigator - An Interesting Discovery" is in the Observer,
17 January 1925, page 47d.
"The Survivors of the Explorer Flinders" is in the Observer,
24 August 1878, page 23g.
The Register of 29 August 1866, page 4f has a most interesting report from William Murray concerning a piece of engraved copper which he found on the beach at Port Lincoln. Portion of the inscription "distinctly visible in large characters are as follows:
- ... unfortunately
... from being upset
... [t]he boat was found
... not recovered
"Inscription on Flinders' Tablet Solved" is in the Register,
17 April 1924, page 9d.
The Register of
13 August 1879, page 5b has a petition which was presented to the SA parliament on behalf of three female relatives of Captain Flinders in which they sought pecuniary relief from their distressful circumstances.
also see Register,
11 October 1900, page 5a.
"Flinders and Mount Lofty" is in the Chronicle,
25 March 1882, pages 4c-22g.
A comment by Captain W. Goalen, RN, as to Matthew Flinders' competency as a hydrographer is in the Register, 12 October 1900, page 5a:
Although Flinders was in the first rank as an astronomical observer and calculator he was far behind Cook as a hydrographic surveyor - or, in other words, as a maker of charts by the aid of which ships could be safely navigated.
(Also see Register, 22 March 1902, page 7a.)
3 October 1901, page 9a.
A proposal for a memorial is in the Observer,
26 December 1874, page 3d; also see
20 December 1901, page 6d,
21 February 1902, page 6b,
22 March 1902, pages 4c-6d,
8 April 1902, page 6f ("The Flinders Centenary"),
25 October 1910, page 5b ("An Interesting Centenary"),
"A Flinders Centenary" on
14 July 1914, page 8b-g.
Photographs of the centenary event at Mt Lofty are in the Chronicle,
29 March 1902, page 32a.
A formerly unpublished letter written by Flinders is reproduced in the Register,
12 May 1911, page 5c.
A proposed monument in his honour is discussed in the Register,
1 January 1917, page 4e,
24 March 1919, page 6f,
21 March 1921, page 6f,
8, 29 and 30 April 1921, pages 7a, 4e and 8f-10f,
10 and 14 May 1921, pages 4f and 6f,
6 June 1921, page 6h,
23, 29 and 30 July 1921, pages 8g, 6f and 9h-10a,
10 August 1921, page 9d,
19 January 1922, page 6d,
30 March 1926, page 8e.
"Flinders Ceremony on the Bluff" is in the Observer,
23 April 1927, page 18.
Off Elliston, discovered and named by Matthew Flinders on 13 February 1802. Samuel W. Flinders, Second Lieutenant of the Investigator.
The story of Terence O'Brien, a ship's deserter, who lived there from circa 1830, is reported in the Register, 22 May 1884 (supp.), page 1a:
Some fifty or 60 years ago there lived on Flinders Island and others a number of men, sometimes singly, and in other cases in pairs, who had deserted from their ships and who sustained themselves by catching seals and bartering their skins for rations with whaling ships which occasionally visited there. On Flinders Island at this time lived Terrence O'Brien, a native of Tipperary. Finding the lonely solitude of the island anything but congenial with his social and amorous nature he resolved to visit the mainland and endeavour to kidnap a black woman. He made a dart at a comely-looking lady and dragging her to his boat pulled away from the shore with all his might and when at a safe distance examined his prize and found that she had an infant in a net on her back.
In due time the child grew and throve and Terrence, a true son of the Church, endeavoured to instill the elementary doctrines of the Church of Rome into the child. In course of time Terrence died and a few weeks later "Young O'Brien" went to barter his seal skins at Port Lincoln. He was invited to a party where he sang Irish songs and drank spirits until he was in anything but a fit state. One of the assembled company then proceeded to play a practical joke and, imitating the brogue of the late lamented Terrence addressed, the inebriate: "Tirence, ye blaggard of a spalpeen, is this the way yiz do, philandering with the haythen... before I am comfortable in my grave? Go home and take care of your old mother, or it will be the worst for yiz." The fright he received sobered young O'Brien and the next day he sailed for the island...
The reminiscences of Thomas Houston are in the Register,
4 September 1900, page 6f,
8 September 1900, page 16a.
The island is described in the Register,
15 February 1911, page 8d,
9 May 1914, page 16b.
Flinders ParkInformation on the Church of Christ is in the Register, 13 September 1926, page 3h:
The feat of building a chapel in one day was completed by a number of Church of Christ adherents on 11 September 1926... The structure of wood and iron was erected in about 12 hours on a site at the corner of Franklyn Avenue and Rex Street...
The laying of the foundation stone of the Methodist church is reported in the Advertiser,
11 October 1926, page 10c.
They were named by Governor Gawler in July 1839.
"Early Pastoral Leases" is in the Register,
1, 8 and 15 July 1922, pages 13a, 7f and 13d.
The ranges in the vicinity of Port Augusta are described in the Register,
8 July 1854, page 2g.
The area traversed by B.H. Babbage in 1856 is described in the Register,
3 January 1857, page 2f.
The reminiscences of J.F. Hayward appear on
19 May 1928, page 16g.
Also see Place Names - Aroona.
An account of the Governor's trip to the north in 1859, including mention of mines and pastoral leases in the ranges and adjacent country, is to be found in the Register, 30 December 1859, page 3.
A journey from Melrose to Patawarta Hill is reported in the Register of
20 October 1862, page 3e; also see
25 October 1862, page 2f and
13 November 1862, page 3f - see
3 October 1868, page 3f-g for an account of a trip from Port Augusta to Lake Hope, via Horrocks' Pass and Willochra and
12 January 1878, page 5c for a trek "From Wirrabara to the Frome".
A description of floods from a mail-coach driver's point of view is recounted in the
27 November 1869, page 2h - the area traversed is Blinman-Kanyaka.
Also see South Australia - Natural Disasters - Floods
A series of information on "Our Northern Country - Its Resources and Development" are to be found in the Register,
2 June 1870, page 5c,
13, 16 and 18 June, pages 6a, 3f and 3f - the last mentioned report contains a hilarious account of a comparison between the healing qualities of "Holloway's Pills" [a Victorian era alleged cure for many, if not all, ailments] and a local Aboriginal concoction.
The Register of 28 October 1870, page 5c has a report from Rev George Dove on a "missionary" tour in the area.
"Gold in the Far North" is in the Register,
19 December 1872, page 5e.
Also see South Australia - Mining - Gold
"Travelling Facilities in the North" is in the Register,
24 May 1876, page 6a.
"The Years Past and Present in the Mining District" is in the Observer,
24 March 1877, page 20e.
"From Willochra to the Frome" is in the Observer,
19 January 1878, page 20b.
"A Northern Tour" is in the Chronicle,
29 June 1878, page 5a; also see
24 August 1878, page 5.
A report of snow on the ranges at Mount Remarkable is in the Register,
23 July 1880, page 5b.
"The Game of Snowballing" is in the Observer,
18 July 1896, page 14a.
Articles describing towns, etc are in the Chronicle,
17, 24 and 31 December 1881, pages 21e, 6c and 5f,
7 January 1882, page 18c.
"The Red-Ochre Caves of the Blacks" is in the Register,
10 June 1882, page 6f.
A trip from Quorn to Marree is described in the Register,
24 April 1888, page 6f and
"The Upper-North Country" on
17 October 1892, page 7d.
The Wirrabara-Melrose district is described in the Register,
21 August 1901, page 3h.
The reminiscences of Robert H.S. Brown are in the Register,
26 September 1906, page 10c.
Local mines are discussed in the Register,
2 and 3 April 1907, pages 7f and 7a,
2 April 1907, page 7b.
Also see South Australia - Mining - Coal
Towns and districts are described in the Register on
7 August 1909, page 7h.
"Suggested Tunnel Through the Flinders Ranges" is in the Register,
24 July 1907, page 8g.
"Glories of the Far North" is in the Register,
18 November 1911, page 6c,
"In the North" on
9 April 1914, page 9e.
A gold discovery near Port Pirie is reported on
27 July 1912, page 13a.
"Native Burial Customs in the Flinders Ranges" is in the Observer,
17 May 1913, page 51a.
A holiday in the Ranges is described in the Register,
5 June 1915, page 14a and
"A Holiday Camp - In the Flinders Ranges" appears on
31 January 1921, page 7a.
Also see South Australia - Miscellany - Leisure and Allied Matters
A Field Naturalists' excursionis reported in the Register
20 November 1915, page 7e also see
27 November 1915, page 44a,
4 December 1915, page 30 (photos.).
A photograph of a donkey team is in the Observer,
10 December 1919, page 8 (supp.).
Historical information is in the Register,
6 February 1926, page 9a.
"Scenery of Rugged Beauty" is in the Advertiser,
4 and 6 September 1928, pages 14a and 17a,
"Visited by Tourists" in the Register,
4 and 7 September 1928, pages 11b and 13a.
"Exquisite Scenery" is in The Mail,
8 September 1928, page 16B-g.
Photographs are in the Chronicle,
30 July 1931, page 31.
"In the Flinders Ranges" is in the Advertiser,
31 October 1936, page 11c.