Place Names of South Australia - F
Franklyn - Furner
- Freeling, Mount
- Freeling Range
- Freeman Nob
- French's Creek
- Frenchman Rock
- Freshwater Creek
- Fricker Point
- Fry Flat
Near Terowie in the Hundred of Wonna. The town was proclaimed on 23 September 1880 and closed on 9 February 1984. In 1916 the nomenclature committee suggested the name be changed to 'Wonna' to avoid confusion with the Adelaide subdivision of 'Franklin'. Its school was opened as 'Wonna' in 1883; name changed in 1886 and closed in 1916. It was named by Governor Jervois and under the entries of 'Cleve' and 'Snowtown' we have discussed the affiliation between the respective families of 'Jervois' and 'Snow'.
The nomenclature of this town is, no doubt, explained by the following piece of history:
- [Near] Alphington in Devonshire [is] a fine house which is now [in 1983] a health centre... It is... called 'Franklyn House' and is an excellent building of the early pre-Palladian years of the 18th century. The house later became the home of the Snow family who were partners in a city bank...
Its school was opened as "Wonna" in 1883;
name changed in 1886 and closed in 1916.
FranktonAn obituary of Carl A. Heppner is in the Register,
11 February 1928, page 5e.
FrayvilleA photograph of school students is in the Chronicle,
24 August 1933, page 31.
Arthur Henry Freeling. Born in 1820 he came to South Australia in 1849 when he was appointed Surveyor-General and Colonial Engineer. In 1861 he returned to England after a distinguished career in the colony and, in 1871, as Fifth Baronet, he succeeded to the title and estates of Ford and Hastings in Sussex.
The Register of 14 April 1871, page 5c has a report on the laying of the memorial stone of the Wesleyan Chapel.
The Freeling School opened in 1867;
Freeling North School opened as the "Hundred of Light" in 1903;
name changed in 1907 and closed in 1947. See
12 April 1909, page 9f,
17 April 1909, page 15b.
Building improvements are discussed in the Chronicle, 23 January 1869, page 6e:
Notwithstanding the depressing effect that the entire failure of last season's crop had upon the colony this place has been going ahead surprisingly, for during the past year we have had four or five substantial stone-built cottages added to our dwelling houses and further we have built a handsome new store - this building was erected by Mr. Elsholz and the business is carried on by Messrs Elsholz and Schuttloffel. Mr. Kreusler has added a handsome stone front to his general store... Mr. Schuttloffel has also a large wheat store in course of erection, with a cellar the size of the whole building...
The proposed closure of the local court is discussed in the Express,
10 and 16 March 1869, pages 3d and 3a,
20 March 1869, page 12d.
Also see South Australia - Crime, Law and Punishment - Law - Local courts.
A fire at the hotel is reported in the Observer,
25 February 1871, page 10e;
a "heavy hailstorm" on
12 October 1872, page 8a.
Examinations at the school are reported in the Express,
12 October 1871, page 3c,
5 November 1881, page 31a;
donation of land for a playground is reported in the Register,
3 May 1883, page 5b.
The laying of the foundation stone of the Wesleyan Chapel is reported in the Observer,
15 April 1871, page 7g and
its opening on
26 August 1871, page 8a.
The first ploughing match is reported in the Observer,
16 September 1871, page 6d. Also see South Australia - Industries - Rural, Primary and Secondary - Ploughing Matches.
Sanitary neglect at the railway station is reported in the Register,
7 April 1876, page 7e.
An account of boring for artesian water in the town is in the Register,
31 July 1880, page 5b.
Also see South Australia - Northern Lands Development and Allied Matters - Water, Artesian Wells and Springs.
Information on and photographs of the opening of the waterworks are in the Chronicle,
25 April 1908, pages 31 and 45a.
A water famine is discussed in the Register,
8 July 1907, page 4e; also see
16 April 1908, page 6f.
Also see South Australia - Water Conservation.
An obituary of Sir Arthur H. Freeling is in the Register,
30 March 1885, page 6g,
of James McCallum on 21 May 1927, page 28c.
A horse racing event on Mr H. Jones' paddock is reported in the Chronicle,
30 April 1887, page 21e.
Also see South Australia - Sport - Horse Racing.
Vine planting in the district is reported in the Register,
18 August 1891, page 5c:
The SA Company, to encourage their tenants to put the land to other uses than wheat growing, have offered to provide vine cuttings, pay for the labour of putting them in, etc., and to charge no rent for the land so used for the first three years. This condition has induced Messrs A. and H. Mattiske to plant ten and five acres respectively with vines... Mr. T.H. Litchfield, who lives on the Angaston side of Freeling, has a good garden and growing vineyard. He put in several thousand vines last year and intends to put in 3,000 more this year.
The town described in the Register,
21 November 1903, page 9e,
22 May 1909, page 6g.
The golden wedding of Mr & Mrs Henry Mackereth is in the Register,
31 October 1894, page 5c.
The laying of the foundation stone of a new Institute is reported in the Register,
6 November 1905, page 8a and
its opening on
8 March 1906, page 6e.
A photograph of the first recorded snow fall is in the Chronicle,
7 August 1909, page 31 and
of the football team on
2 October 1909, page 32,
10 September 1910, page 32,
of a cricket team in the Observer,
7 May 1910, page 28,
of old residents in the Observer,
10 September 1910, page 31,
of a band concert on
19 October 1912, page 29.
"Gaming in a Hotel" is in the Observer,
11 June 1910, page 16a.
The golden wedding of Mr & Mrs J. Severin is reported in the Register,
15 June 1911, page 7a.
The golden wedding of Mr & Mrs W. Zeuner is reported in the Register,
25 June 1912, page 4f.
The first annual show is reported upon in the Register,
30 March 1912. page 11f.
Also see South Australia - Agricultural, Floricultural & Horticultural Shows .
"Country Band Contest" is in the Register,
12 October 1912, page 7g,
19 October 1912, pages 29b-30 (photo.).
The reminiscences of Robert Sayers are in the Register,
9 June 1922, page 6f.
"Progressive Freeling" is in the Register,
7 and 11 November 1922, pages 14d and 13b; also see
20 August 1927, page 48d.
The unveiling of a war memorial is reported in the Register,
3 and 5 February 1923, pages 8f and 9d;
photographs are in the Observer,
10 February 1923, page 28. Also see South Australia - World War I - Memorials to the Fallen
Photographs of the town are in the Chronicle,
9 April 1921, page 26.
Information on the hospital is in the Chronicle,
10 February 1923,
17 August 1927, page 13b,
20 August 1927, page 35c.
Information on the Freeling Coursing Club is in the Register,
5 June 1926, page 11c.
Also see South Australia - Sport - Coursing.
Freeling - Obituaries
An obituary of F. Heinrich is in the Observer,
17 May 1902, page 39e,
of G.J.A. Fiedler on 14 January 1928, page 43c.
An obituary of Rev S.J. Batten is in the Register,
21 April 1913, page 6g,
of W.E. Anders on 25 October 1917, page 6h,
of Gottlieb J.A. Fiedler on 11 January 1928, page 8h,
of Mrs Anna Kuhlmann on 12 May 1928, page 8g,
of John Meaney on 4 June 1928, page 11c,
of Wilhelm F. Peters on 4 December 1928, page 12g.
Freeling, MountThe pastoral station is described in the Chronicle,
15 and 22 July 1899, pages 20 and 19.
A sketch is in the Pictorial Australian in
February 1884, page 25;
a photograph of the police station is in the Chronicle,
2 September 1899, page 19 (supp.).
Freeling Range"Freeling Range" - "a remarkable isolated range south of Mount Ive" was named by Stephen Hack in August 1857 "at Mr Harris' request".
See Register, 26 September 1857, page 3a and Place Names - Hope Downs.
The south-west promontory of Port Elliot. H.C. Talbot says it takes its name from Sylvester Freeman, the second officer to Captain J.W.D. Blenkinsopp, of the whaling station at Encounter Bay in 1837.
The Register of 28 February 1878, page 7a says it was named after "a coloured man who was a whaler."
French's CreekThis place is mentioned in the Register, 29 November 1867, page 2e as being "at the back of Torrens Island".
Once stood on the present day lot 96 of the town of Penneshaw. In 1802 members of Baudin's crew placed an inscription on a rock which has since been removed to preserve it from the elements. Earlier, in 1906 the rock was covered with a shelter built of hard brick, cemented over with three wrought iron grills, one of which was hinged to allow periodical visits to the stone and to apply preservatives. A replica now stands at the site.
An 1855 reference to the rock is made in the Register,
17 April, page 2g (final paragraph),
14 November 1891, page 31d.
A proposal to remove it appears on
26 August 1892, page 6f; also see
14 and 16 February 1898, pages 6a and 7h,
19 October 1903, page 4d,
13 August 1904, page 4g,
25 January 1905, page 4e,
20 August 1904, page 24a,
7 February 1905, page 1b,
6 February 1906, page 4e,
28 July 1906, page 8g,
24 September 1917, page 4d,
19 April 1918, page 6d.
"An Historical Point - Interesting Question Settled" is in the Register,
28 July 1906, page 7e:
Mrs Stow, the headmistress of the Penneshaw (Hog Bay) School opened a subscription list for the purpose of securing a shelter for the rock, and her public spirit and energy have had their reward in the collection of about £30, which the government has subsidised pound for pound... The completion of the arrangements was left to Mr. C.E. Owen Smyth, Superintendent of Public Buildings, and men are now constructing a shelter in the shape of a mosque, with a dome right above the stone... The shelter will contain a wrought-iron gate, with two grilles, so that the face of the stone will be plainly perceptible...
A photograph of a shelter is in the Observer,
25 August 1906, page 29,
27 September 1913, page 6 (supp.).
Information from Rev John Blacket is in the Observer,
29 September 1917, page 29b.
FreshfordMr A.F. Boord's vineyard at Freshford is described in the Chronicle,
12 April 1862, page 4e:
Freshford, the residence of Mr. A.F. Boord, is situated on a section adjoining Mr. Coull's vineyard and orchard, being on the north bank of the Torrens, about half a mile nearer the gorge. There are about six acres planted with vines and fruit trees on a rich alluvial flat where the soil is light and deep.... The wines he makes are a pure Dolcetto, pure Constantia and pure Madeira, mixing all the other red varieties for a second-class wine. He also makes a white wine from Muscats alone and another from Sweetwater....
His obituary is in the Register,
17 January 1896, page 5c,
18 January 1896, page 30b.
A picnic is reported in the Register,
4 January 1869, page 3a.
Also see Adelaide - Picnic and Holidays.
The Register of 4 January 1869, page 3a says that this place on the River Torrens "was chosen by the proprietor of the Hindmarsh Brewery for their annual picnic..."
FreshwaterThe Register of 15 December 1854 at page 4e says it was "opposite the Prince's Wharf and on the road to Semaphore."
Freshwater CreekA school of this name was opened as the "Hundred of Neales";
name changed in 1927 and closed in 1940.
Laid out on part section 265, Hundred of Adelaide granted to John Brown on 7 March 1839 who sold it to William Giles on 25 July 1843. James Frew acquired the section in July 1847 and subsequently subdivided it in 1865. James Frew arrived in the Lady Bute with his brother Robert in 1839.
The same name was given to a subdivision of section 369, Hundred of Blanche by the executors of John Frew (the son of James Frew) in 1902; now included in Mount Gambier.
An obituary of William Fiveash is in the Register,
18 October 1892, page 6f,
of John Baker on
12 October 1894, page 5a,
of Richard Pearce on
15 November 1924, page 8h.
An obituary of Mrs Mary Kate Frew is in the Observer,
7 June 1902, page 21c,
of Richard Marshall on
29 July 1916, page 19d.
Fricker Point"In the centre of Coffin Bay" was named in 1910 after a warden of the Marine Board -
see Advertiser, 21 January 1910, page 6e.
In the Hundred of Kuitpo; the name given to a rural subdivision of section 3913 circa 1852 by Johann Friedrich Paech.
The town and district are described in the Register, 10 August 1892 (supp.), page 1a:
It is indeed a lovely spot and the old residences there occupied by the Paech family are worthy of attention by rising young artists of the Sinclair and Wadham type. The district - named after the late Friedrich Paech - spreads considerably and cover the thirteen 80-acre sections he purchased from the SA Company, on which flocks were herded in the early days after having been brought over from New South Wales. The original settlement is approached either by the roads running past Mr. Gething's or from the slopes of Windmill Hill - the latter for preference....
FriedrichswaldeIts school was opened in 1888; changed to "Tarnma" in 1918 and closed in 1947.
A subdivision of part section 234, Hundred of Adelaide; now included in Hawthorn. Lucy G. Howard laid it out in 1919 at the corner of Unley and Angas Roads and Durdin Street.
Mrs F.C. Howard's property was called "Frimley"; it and the subdivision are commented upon in the Register, 21 October 1919, page 4f:
There are fewer prettier spots in the suburbs than Mrs F.C. Howard's beautiful property at the corner of Unley and Angas Roads. The willow bordered creek and the profusion of stately trees lend a
delightfully rural aspect seldom found so close to the city. Portion of the property, including the orangery, orchard and tennis court are now being surveyed into 17 residential allotments...
Edward Charles Frome (1802-1890) was Acting Surveyor-General under Governor Gawler later holding the substantive position until 1849 when he was succeeded by Arthur H. Freeling.
An account of E.C. Frome's northern exploration is in the Register,
20 September 1843, page 2d.
South of Balaklava on section 151, Hundred of Dalkey; Robert Fry, who took up an occupation licence in the area on 26 September 1844. On section 153 he took his wife's life and then committed suicide 'in an open plain near the River Wakefield'.
A comprehensive report on the tragedy surrounding the Fry family is in the Observer,
20 October 1849, page 1e,
10 February 1850, page 3b,
18 March 1850, page 3c; also see
24 May 1850, page 2c,
3 July 1850, page 3c and
1 and 15 February 1850, pages 2f and 2f,
SA Gazette & Mining Journal,
14 and 21 February 1850, pages 3d and 3c.
FulfordThe South Australian of 31 January 1851, page 1f (supp.) advertises :
Allotments of half and more acres may now be purchased in this village situate four miles for Mount Barker township and between it and Macclesfield. Water is very fresh and supplied bountifully on the surface from springs. Good building and limestone abound, The soil and aspect are excellent for gardens...
When John White arrived in South Australia in 1836 he purchased land near the Reedbeds and named it 'Fulham Farm' after the suburb of Fulham in his native London.
A plan of the first subdivision is in The Lantern,
20 October 1877.
Historical information on Weetunga House, including photographs, is in The Mail,
24 November 1928, page 10c.
The opening of a bridge across the River Torrens in the vicinity of "Frogmore" is reported in the Observer,
19 June 1869, page 5b,
15 May 1875, page 8c,
17 May 1913, page 51b:
On 4 June 1869 the bridge built by the West Torrens
District Council on the road leading from the Beehive
to Patawillunga (sic) Creek and Frogmore,
the residence of Mr. W.H. Gray, was opened ... It
has a waterway of 40 feet and is built of Oregon
pine with a flooring of red gum and does great credit
to the contractor, Mr. W.H. Campbell. Miss Gray opened
the bridge and christened it "Rosetta Bridge" which
designation is painted on each side. Vehicles then
passed over and two smaller bridges lately built
on the same line were inspected.
Its school opened in 1861; also see Register,
4 September 1880, page 5a-g.
A ban on shanghais in the school is reported on
24 July 1897, page 5b.
"School Children's Manners - Trouble at Fulham" appears on
31 October 1908, pages 6b-8h:
At the annual visiting day celebration at the Fulham State School in 1908 a mild sensation was caused by the interchange between the Chairman of the Board of Advice, Mr. John F. Mellor and Councillor Stacey, a member of the board. Mr. Mellor stated that he had heard that a large number of children were losing their manners and he had noticed it himself. He did not wish to be looked upon as God Almighty, so to speak, but to be respected as chairman. Cr. Stacey said that, previously, Mr. Mellor had insulted the headmaster by asking the children if they had tongues in their heads... On the way home Cr Stacey referred to Mr. Mellor as a ?..... ass?...
"An Improved Flagpole" is in the Register,
27 July 1907, page 6h.
An Arbor Day is reported on
24 June 1909, page 9d. Also see South Australia - Education - Arbor Days.
A photograph is in the Observer,
20 May 1911, page 27.
"[John F. Mellor] Thirty Years on School Board" is in the Register,
6 March 1912, page 8i,
9 March 1912, page 43c.
A cricket match against Thebarton is reported in the Register,
23 April 1867, page 3e; also see
9 June 1890, page 3c.
Also see South Australia - Sport - Cricket - Miscellany.
A Catholic picnic is reported in the Advertiser, 11 November 1884, page 6d:
Several troopers and foot constables were in attendance and by their presence and attention kept the larrikin element, which assembled in force, within bounds. One or two "hoodlums" of both sexes... were promptly ejected from the ground.
6 May 1875, page 6b and
30 October 1880, page 741a,
Register, 16 January 1902, page 7h,
28 March 1903, page 16 (photographs)
while Mr F.C. Davis' cordial factory is visited on
16 March 1876, page 5g.
A Volunteers' sham fight is reported in the Observer,
12 November 1881, page 31e.
Also see South Australia - Defence of the Colony.
The silver wedding of Mr & Mrs John F. Mellor is reported in the Register,
21 March 1893, page 5c.
Local flooding is described in the Register,
3 September 1897, page 5b,
18 June 1898, page 17b,
23 July 1904, page 41 (photos).
Flooding of the district is reported in the Register,
17 May 1909, page 7b,
20 and 21 August 1909, pages 5b and 14a,
4 October 1909, page 7d,
26 March 1926, page 14b;
also see Place Names - Reedbeds.
"Fulham Under Water" is in the Advertiser,
19 September 1912, page 15d.
Photographs are in the Chronicle,
28 July 1917, pages 20-25.
J.F. Mellor's property, Holmfirth, is described in the Register,
15 March 1899, page 7d.
The Holmfirth Aviary is reported upon in the Observer,
14 January 1899, page 35e.
Information on "Holmfirth" is in The Mail,
12 January 1929, page 13c.
Also see South Australia - Flora and Fauna - Birds.
The finding of fossil bones of the giant kangaroo (Diprotodon australis) is reported in the Register,
25 March 1898, page 5b.
Mr Mellor's "Model Farm" is described in the Chronicle,
14 January 1899, page 41d,
"A Typical Dairy Farm [A. Stanford's]" is in the Register,
18 June 1908, page 7d.
Also see Adelaide - Public Health - Milk Supply.
"An Irrigated Farm" is in the Chronicle,
24 January 1903, page 34a.
Information on the White Memorial Church is in the Register,
30 August 1910, page 4e.
Reminiscences of life in the area by S.A. White are in the Register,
7 March 1911, page 9i; also see
15 March 1911, page 8g.
A report on finding Aboriginal skeletons on Mr Skuse's property is reported in the Register,
22 April 1911, page 15i,
4 May 1911, page 4g
while the opening of a new bridge appears on
12 May 1911, page 9e.
Photographs of the opening and of pioneers of the district are in the Observer,
20 May 1911, page 27.
Information on a new bridge is in the Register,
12 May 1911, page 9e.
The opening of two bridges is reported in the Register,
9 May 1913, page 8h.
A field naturalists excursion is reported in the Register,
3 November 1925, page 5h.
The opening of the Fulham section of the Henley Beach Road is reported in the Register,
20 May 1926, page 5d.
Fulham - Obituaries
An obituary of William Blackler is in the Register,
29 June 1896, page 7e, Observer, 4 July 1896, page 43d,
of Peter Harwood on 29 August 1896, page 14e,
of Charles Williams on 21 March 1903, page 34d,
of Miss Winifred M. Mellor on 18 November 1916, page 34d.
An obituary of John Mines is in the Register,
4 January 1898, page 4g,
of George Smith on 2 October 1903, page 4i.
An obituary of Mrs James Cowell is in the Register,
7 December 1903, page 4h.
An obituary of Miss Winnifred M. Mellor is in the Register,
14 November 1916, page 4g,
of Morton Stanford on 15 June 1928, page 12f.
Laid out in 1849 on section 252, Hundred of Adelaide by James Frew who purchased the land from P.V. Agnew. His wife was the former Jane Fullarton.
"Alarming and Destructive Fire at Fullarton" is in the Register,
24 January 1844, page 2e.
An 1868 photograph of the Duke of Edinburgh's visit is in the Chronicle,
31 July 1920, page 23.
Also see South Australia - Miscellany - Royal Visits.
The death of James Frew is reported in the Observer,
29 June 1878, page 11f.
Information on its water supply is reported in the Register,
11 December 1878, page 6e; also see
9 February 1922, page 6f.
Also see South Australia - Water Conservation.
It is described in the Register, 14 August 1880 (supp.), page 1f:
Fullarton is a village between two to three miles south-east of Adelaide and situated upon the delta formed by creek running from the Glen Osmond Gully and is therefore naturally adapted for gardening purposes. The alluvium is very deep and in winter is wet with a tendency to become sodden, but in summer it is apt to be very dry when, for surface-rooting plants, the gardener needs to be diligent with the watering pot. The approach to the village is like the rogue's road to Heaven - very devious and full of bogs and slippery places; but the comfortable looking cottages on the roadside and the nice large-sized allotments everywhere abounding, give the place an English wayside appearance... There is bus accommodation to Fullarton, the fare being sixpence only...
A proposed Home for Incurables is discussed in the Express,
31 January 1879, page 3b;
23 September 1880, page 3f (laying foundation stone);
it is described in the Observer,
6 August 1881, page 42b,
6 December 1890, page 7b,
31 March 1900, page 10a.
"A Noble Charity" is in the Register,
19 November 1910, page 8c (includes photographs).
Its history is in The News,
17 May 1927, page 8f,
26 May 1928, page 3a and
an article by an inmate on
1 December 1928, page 25.
A photograph of a fete is in the Observer,
2 December 1905, page 27; also see
20 January 1917, page 26,
24 November 1923, page 29,
20 November 1930, page 37,
26 November 1921, page 24,
8 September 1928, pages 36-37.
A jam factory is reported upon in the Chronicle,
19 February 1881, page 8c; also see
2 February 1883, page 2g.
3 and 10 February 1883, pages 14a and 12c.
A. Fairbrother's fruit preserving factory is described in the Register,
30 January 1883, page 6e; also see
2 February 1883, page 6c,
10 February 1883, page 12c,
12 December 1883, page 3d,
26 August 1885, page 6f.
Also see Adelaide - Factories and Mills.
The Fullarton Fruit Factory, formerly known as the Wattleville Jam Factory, is described in the Register,
14 September 1885, page 6c; also see
2 February 1883, page 6d,
6 December 1883, page 6d,
24 August 1885, page 6a.
The Wattleville (Fullarton) Jam Factory
Messrs Hanton & Dalton's jam factory at Fullarton is unquestionably one of the most important of the many establishments in this colony devoted to the industry of jam making and fruit preserving. It is many years since Wattleville jams were first introduced to the public of the colony by the manufacturer, the late Thomas Reynolds. After the Wattleville estate passed out of the hands of his representatives the jam making industry was carried on with varying success, but it was not till the present proprietors came into possession that it began to take the prominent position that it now occupies.
Wattleville, as it was formerly called, lies on the Fullarton Road, about three miles from Adelaide. It is 29 acres in extent, over ten of which are planted in fruit trees. During the regime of the former occupiers the orchards and other parts of the property were allowed to sink into a general state of neglect, but Messrs Hanton and Dalton having secured the property on very favourable terms have spent large sums of money in labor and improvements to bring it back to its pristine condition of cultivation.
The efforts of this policy are to be seen on a very casual inspection of the grounds, which have been to a large extent turned over two or three times - fruit trees and vines pruned and trained, paths formed and cleared, and young trees put in where the old ones had died off. During the past year 2,000 orange, apricot, peach and plums trees have been planted. The object of the proprietors is to turn that portion of the ground formerly used as a vineyard into an orchard, and with this end in view fruit trees have been planted between the vines, which shelter them until they have attained a certain size, and then the vines will be rooted up. Some of the best fruit grown in the orchard is sent to the proprietors retail shop in Adelaide, the remainder being used up in the factory.
On entering the extensive premises, which form the factory, an air of cleanliness is everywhere manifest. Numerous additions have been made to the building, outhouses and machinery. Mr.. Dayton is an ingenious mechanic and his original and adapted labor-saving machines must have saved the firm a large sum of money in wages, besides conducing to the purity of the articles manufactured. About 30 persons are employed, including a number of girls for the lighter kinds of work, who are preferred to boys as being ?less cheeky? and ?more industrious?.
Four copper pans, each capable of holding 5 cwt. of jam are kept constantly going to one pan of preserves. The jam is boiled by steam supplied from a moderately large boiler fixed outside the main building, while the condensed steam is used for the preserves, it being very much better for this purpose than ordinary water. One of Mr.. Dayton's clever contrivances cores and cuts into sections quinces, apples, etc.; another divests the jam of the fruit stones in a more efficacious and cleanly way than the mode generally adopted, while a third facilitates to a wonderful extent the soldering of the tins after they have been filled. When the jam is sufficiently boiled the coppers are emptied into wooden receptacles like large boxes, which are then wheeled to where the tins are filled.
None but the best sugar is used, and this item represents an expenditure of £3,000 a year; the tins cost £2,500 while from 2,000 to 10,000 packing cases are used at a cost of two shillings each. Mr.. Dayton has in the course of preparation an exhibit of jam, preserves and pickled for the next Adelaide show, which will exhibit the color and quality of the goods made in the factory.
Not a drop of water is wasted and the washings along with solid matter left from the jam-making is emptied into an underground tank and the liquor is subsequently used for watering the young trees and the solids for feeding the pigs, which are quite an institution at the factory. The breed is Berkshire and the sties, three in number, were constructed according to a plan evolved by Mr. Dalton.
In addition to a retail establishment they have a wholesale store in the East End Market which enables them to supply their factory with, fruit, sugar, etc., at an advantage. In addition to a large local trade they send from their wholesale stores over 25 tons of vegetables, exclusive of potatoes and onions every week, a considerable portion of which is taken by customers in the other colonies.
"A Suburban Poultry Farm" is in the Advertiser,
15 January 1885, page 6g.
Also see South Australia - Industries - Rural, Primary and Secondary - Poultry.
The opening of Minda Home is reported in the Register,
19 September 1898, pages 3f and 4g; also see
24 September 1898, page 26d,
1 September 1899, page 9a,
21 July 1900, page 6d.
Also see Register,
21 November 1902, page 6g,
29 August 1903, page 10d,
29 September 1908, page 5c,
20 May 1903, page 6h,
19 and 21 November 1910, pages 12f and 11a,
24 May 1904, page 4d,
1 August 1904, page 1b.
A photograph of a fete is in the Chronicle,
15 October 1904, page 29.
"Minda" is Aboriginal for "shelter, retreat or home".
"Modern Methods at Minda" is in the Observer,
21 June 1928, page 60d.
Also see Place Names - Brighton - Miscellany.
Information on a football club is in the Express,
20 March 1895, page 4b.
Also see South Australia - Sport - Football.
"The Fullarton Tragedy" is in the Register,
9 February 1898, pages 4f-5a-7.
The opening of St Joseph's Refuge is reported in the Register on
23 September 1901, page 3e; also see
21 and 28 September 1901, pages 34a and 44b,
30 October 1902, page 9a,
26 March 1904, page 44 (includes photographs),
3 May 1910, page 10f,
8 February 1913, page 17h,
11 October 1927, page 8c.
An article on and a photograph of Mrs John Torr and her sons are in the Observer,
21 April 1906, page 30.
Biographical details of Mrs Jane Stockham are in the Register,
13 July 1906, page 6c, 9 July 1907, page 7c.
A proposed consumptive home is discussed in the Register,
26, 28 and 29 October 1910, pages 6e, 8e and 12g,
1, 2 and 17 November 1910, pages 3g, 5g and 6f,
26 January 1911, page 6g.
Also see South Australia - Health - Consumption.
Information on and photographs of the Salvation Army Children's Home are in the Chronicle,
27 April 1912, pages 31-45e,
10 April 1930, page 35,
10 April 1930, page 33.
Information on the Salvation Army Probationary Girls' Home is in The News,
26 July 1927, page 8c.
Also see South Australia - Religion - Salvation Army.
"Early Fullarton - Death of Thomas Fairbrother" is in the Observer,
23 August 1913, page 41b.
The opening of a home for wounded soldiers is reported in the Register,
26 March 1917, page 8e,
28 March 1917, page 14 (photographs).
Biographical details of Sir Joseph Verco are in the Register,
3 June 1919, page 7e.
A photograph of the laying of the foundation stone of the Anglican Church is in the Observer,
18 September 1920, page 23.
Biographical details of F.W.H. Fuss are in the Regsiter,
13 March 1924, page 11d.
Information on "Strathspey House" is in The Mail,
8 December 1928, page 11c.
Fullarton - Obituaries
An obituary of J.B. Fenn is in the Register, 20 January 1890, page 5a,
of Lt deN Lucas on 23 November 1897, pages 4h-7c.
An obituary of Rev James Stoyel is in the Observer, 8 February 1896, page 30e,
of William F. Farndell on 28 July 1923, page 35c,
of Mrs J.A. Faehse on 4 August 1923, page 35a.
An obituary of Mrs C.J. Stevens is in the Register, 3 January 1896, page 5d,
of Mr de Neuville Lucas in the Observer, 27 November 1897, page 43d,
of James Quinn on 8 January 1898, page 12a,
of Thomas Halstead on 7 January 1899, page 29a.
An obituary of G. Prout is in the Register, 18 April 1898, page 4h,
of William Froggatt on 23 January 1903, page 5b,
of Mrs Ann Prout on 11 November 1903, page 5c.
An obituary of Mrs Thomas Fairbrother is in the Register, 18 January 1910, page 6h,
of W.H. Gome on 17 June 1914, page 10a,
of George Williams on 9 March 1918, page 9a.
An obituary of W. Pengilly is in the Observer, 18 November 1911, page 41a,
of C.C. Gooden on 15 March 1913, page 41a,
of Sidney Plint on 16 September 1916, page 22c,
of Miss Nellie Fayers on 24 March 1917, page 15a,
of W.C. Taylor on 27 December 1919, page 20a.<
An obituary of George Prout is in the Register, 8 July 1914, page 10b,
of Sidney Flint on 11 September 1916, page 4g,
of Thomas Ding on 7 September 1918, page 8g,
of John Bermingham on 21 November 1918, page 4g,
of E.C. Longson on 16 April 1919, page 7c,
of Thomas Correll on 25 September 1919, page 6h,
of William C. Taylor on 22 December 1919, page 6h,
of James M. Coles on 10 October 1921, page 6h,
of William F. Farndall on 20 July 1923, page 8h,
of J.A. Faehse on 28 July 1923, page 12d.
An obituary of J.M. Coles is in the Observer, 15 October 1921, page 34a,
of H.C. Taylor on 5 July 1924, page 38b,
of Richard E. Kippist on 1 August 1925, page 45c,
of H.J. Keipert on 24 October 1925, page 28e,
of J.H. Gartrell on 4 February 1928, page 49a.
An obituary of Peter Hooper is in the Register, 17 April 1924, page 8h,
of Captain Joseph Moore, RN, on 20 and 23 March 1925, pages 9e and 12c,
of Richard E. Kippist on 27 and 28 July 1925, pages 8f and 8h,
of John Sampson on 17 August 1925, page 12c,
of James Butterfield on 20 March 1926, page 8i,
of George Green on 22 April 1927, page 8h,
of Johann A. Faehse on 1 August 1927, page 11e,
of Mrs Ann W. Tindal on 1 September 1927, page 10d,
of Mrs Eliza Jarrett on 8 September 1927, page 7c,
of William E. Teague on 17 September 1927, page 11b,
of Mrs Crawford Vaughan on 4 November 1927, page 8f.
An obituary of John H. Gartrell is in the Register, 28 January 1928, page 17d,
of Walter Wadlow on 2 October 1928, page 11e.
George Samuel Fuller (1830-1916), who farmed in the district from 1878. He was appointed a member of the first Land Board and member of the Board of the State Bank of South Australia.
Biographical details of Mr Fuller are in the Chronicle,
19 May 1894, page 7a;
also see Register, 21 January 1911, page 12i,
Observer of 28 January 1911, page 33a;
an obituary is in the Register, 23 August 1916, page 6h.
Its school opened in 1885 and closed in 1944; see Register,
28 October 1926, page 5e.
6 November 1926, page 6a.
L.L. Furner, MP (1878-1890).
A letter from Mr Furner under the heading "Scandalous Imputations" is in the Observer,
1 March 1873, page 6g.
A presentation to Mr Furner is reported in the Chronicle,
26 January 1878, page 10c.
Poems are in The Lantern,
12 December 1885, page 22,
3 September 1887, pages 1 and 6.
Its school opened in 1889 and closed in 1962.
Biographical information on Mr Furner is in the Observer,
30 April 1887, page 33d;
a golden wedding ceremony is reported in the Register,
19 June 1912, page 7a;
a photograph is in the Chronicle,
29 June 1912, page 32 and
an obituary in the Register,
25 June 1912, page 5a.
A horse race meeting is reported in the Chronicle,
9 June 1894, page 21e.
Also see South Australia - Sport - Horse Racing.
An obituary of A.H. Bellinger is in the Observer,
15 September 1928, page 50a.