Place Names of South Australia - G
Gullet, Mount - Gypsum Mound
- Gullet, Mount
- Gum Creek
- Gum Gully
- Gum Vale
- Gundry Hill
- Gunson, Mount
- Guthrie, Hundred of
- Gwennap Vale
- Gypsum Mound
Near Melrose; the 'Mount Gullet Run' was established by Daniel Cudmore in 1851 (lease no. 110). Its post office operated from 1924 until the name was changed to 'Mambray Creek' in 1939. (It was opened as 'Old Baroota' in 1879.) On early pastoral lease survey maps 'Mount Gullet Creek' is shown; this watercourse does not empty into the sea but virtually disappears into a swamp - hence the suggestion that its name may have been applied by an early pastoralist because the swamp was, in effect, the resting place (gullet) of the creek's residual waste matter! Some contemporary maps show it as 'Mount Gullett'.
On early pastoral lease survey maps "Mount Gullet Creek" is shown; this watercourse does not empty into the sea but virtually disappears into a swamp - hence the suggestion that its name may have been applied by an early pastoralist because the swamp was, in effect, the resting place (gullet) of the creek's residual waste matter! Some contemporary maps show it as "Mount Gullett".
A photograph of boring for water on Mr H.E. Baker's property is in the
23 July 1927, page 37.
Also see South Australia - Northern Lands Development and Allied Matters - Water, Artesian Wells and Springs.
The surrounding plains were discovered by John A. Horrocks in 1841 and named after his dog 'Gulnare'; a tablet erected by the District Council of Georgetown to commemorate his expedition was unveiled on 22 September 1946 at the junction of Main North and Crystal Brook Roads.
Parliamentary Paper 24/1874 shows the school being conducted by Hannah Pomeroy with 31 enrolled pupils; it opened in 1873.
The Gulnare North School opened in 1874 and closed in 1875.
Gulnare South School opened as "Gulnare" in 1873 becoming "Gulnare South" in 1874 and "Gulnare" in 1911.
The district is described in the Register on
26 August 1871, page 5a and
26 September 1871, page 5d,
19 September 1872, page 6a,
17 June 1899, page 19a and
the town in the Register,
20 August 1904, page 10a.
"The Wants of Narridy and Gulnare" is in the Observer, 6 June 1874, page 6d:
People who had resided in the district for any length of time know how precious fresh water was in summer and the extreme desirability of a supply being provided before the next hot weather came. The residents in a town had not the same facilities for storing surplus rain water as the farmers possessed, for they were confined to a small extent of land. Beside, water was needed in Narridy for teamsters, as it was a place much used as a camping ground, and the water would be a great acquisition to farmers' teams when wheat carting and particularly valuable to teams from Gulnare South...
A coursing event is reported in the Chronicle,
6 September 1902, page 20a.
Also see South Australia - Sport - Coursing.
The laying of the foundation stone of the hall is reported in the Register,
5 May 1905, page 3c,
13 May 1905, page 10b and
its opening in the Register,
12 August 1905, page 4a,
19 August 1905, page 14c.
Gulnare - Obituaries
The death of Mr P. Kelly is reported in the Register, 14 February 1879, page 5a.
An obituary of John Noonan is reported in the Register, 17 February 1898, page 4g,
of George Noble on 16 August 1916, page 6g,
of William Crawford on 21 September 1923, page 8f.
An obituary of James Murphy is in the Observer, 10 July 1909, page 29d,
of D. Rankine on 28 May 1910, page 38a,
of Daniel Horgan on 22 April 1916, page 19e,
of R.S. Teakle on 21 April 1917, page 42b.
The Register of 6 October 1871, page 7d records the opening of the new Primitive Methodist Chapel "at Iron Mine, Gum Creek", near Burra.
The Register of 6 October 1871, page 7d records the opening of the new Primitive Methodist Chapel "at Iron Mine, Gum Creek", near Burra:
At Iron Mine, Gum Creek, the opening sermons of a new Primitive Methodist Chapel were preached on 1 October 1871, by the Rev H.J. Pope who dealt with the lessons of the late war. Prussian work he regarded as defensive and aggressive - illustrative of the labour of the Church. There were, as characteristic of Germany, he believed, universality and unity of effort, great promptitude, large expenditure and much prayer was offered for victory, This, he held, was the way the Church should carry on her warfare...
Records in the Department of Education show the Gum Creek School opening in 1898 and closing in 1957. However, the Chronicle of 11 July 1874, page 6d reports a school opened by Mr Rogers in a chapel.
An obituary of Eli Goodridge is in the Observer, 15 September 1917, page 40b,
of John Bowman on 10 November 1917, page 39c,
of Thomas Goodridge in the Register, 3 February 1922, page 6h.
Historical information on the Gum Creek pastoral property is in the Register,
13 May 1920, page 5d.
Gum GullyThe opening of a church at this place near Mount Barker is reported in the Observer,
3 October 1885, page 29c:
The opening service of a new church at Gum Gully took place on Sunday, 20 September 1885 and on the following day there was a well patronised tea presided over by Rev W.R. Stephenson and addressed by Mr. W.R. Bayly and Rev W. Cooke. Mr. C.C. Thomas of Truro and Mr. H. Hair of Kanmantoo each gave a recitation in a very creditable manner; while the choir, with Miss Hobbs presiding at the organ, rendered good service. The building is 30 feet long, 18 feet wide and the walls are 14 feet high in the clear... Mr. James Williams of Port Adelaide was the architect and builder.
Gum ValeA school in the "YP and Lower-North district" was opened in 1924 and closed in 1941.
An Aboriginal word meaning 'waterhole with a spring'.
Its school opened in 1877 and closed in 1927. See Register, 23 September 1913, page 10d:
About a hundred folks from surrounding districts gathered to participate in the opening of the new school building in September 1913. A splendid programme was submitted, as follows: Recitations, Mrs R.C. Anderson, Misses Madge Anderson and Anna Crowhurst and Messrs L.W. Waltke, H. Walkington; songs, Misses Vera Walkington, Amy Fitts and Mr. L.W. Waltke; Misses Greta Crowhurst and Minna Durick danced the Highland schottische... The schoolroom which is prettily situated about a mile from the railway station is a fine substantial stone building, 20 feet long by 15 feet wide, and is very lofty. A good shelter shed has also been erected...
Mr Hutton's irrigated farm is described in the Register,
25 May 1889, page 7b and
a new reservoir on
2 April 1895, page 7d.
An obituary of James Hooper is in the Register, 22 May 1911, page 6h,
of Thomas Donnellan on 19 June 1917, page 4f,
of Henry Richards in the Observer, 21 July 1928, page 49c.
In 1894 H.C. Talbot said:
Captain Randell, MP informed me that his father went to live at 'Umeracha', as it was then called, in 1839 and he built a home close to a fine waterhole in the Torrens which the Aborigines called umeracha.
- The brains of his head would be in the hills towards Gumeracha. The native name for brain is ngarrumuka.
The town is advertised for sale in the Observer,
21 May 1853, page 1e and
described in the Chronicle,
6 December 1902, page 32b.
An informative article by Mr N.A. Webb is in The Mail, 14 May 1921, page 3 where he links the town's nomenclature with the mythical being "Wano" of the Kaurna tribe:
The brains of his head would be in the hills towards Gumeracha.
The native name for brain is ngarrumuka.
21 September 1850, page 3b,
Farm & Garden,
14 October 1858, page 69,
16 August 1862, page 3a,
30 September 1865, page 3b,
14 September 1867, page 3b (supp.),
13 September 1889, page 6g.
Also see South Australia - Industries - Rural, Primary and Secondary - Ploughing Matches.
A Show is reported in the Register,
26 March 1853, page 3a:
The Gumeracha Farmers' Society awarded prizes last year for the best managed farms and a survey of crops, etc., took place upon the ground. Upon the present occasion the various kinds of produce were exhibited in the ordinary manner. The booth was a large and lofty shed at the back of the Robert Burns Inn...
Also see Observer,
11 March 1871, page 4a,
19 March 1873, page 6b,
14 March 1874, page 6d,
13 March 1875, page 9g,
30 March 1878, page 6d; also see
29 December 1927, page 11a.
Also see South Australia - Agricultural, Floricultural & Horticultural Shows
A proposed school at North Gumeracha is discussed in the Observer,
29 March 1856, page 4h; also see
6 December 1856, page 3c.
1 November 1856, page 3h,
2 December 1856, page 3c,
10 January 1857, page 2h.
Information on the Gumeracha school is in the Observer,
29 July 1876, page 20g.
A proposal for technical education in the town is traversed in the Advertiser,
13 July 1893, page 7d.
15 July 1893, page 9f.
Photographs of an Arbor Day are in the Chronicle,
19 August 1911, page 31.
Also see South Australia - Education - Arbor Days.
The laying of the foundation stone of a bridge is reported in the Observer,
19 September 1857, page 3c;
its opening in the Register,
8 and 11 February 1858, pages 3c and 3g.
A proposal for a bridge over the River Torrens is reported on
23 and 27 July 1869, pages 3b and 3g; also see
24 June 1871, page 11c,
26 January 1921, page 8b.
A proposed Institute is discussed in the Chronicle,
19 October 1861, page 2e (supp.); also see
31 January 1885, page 7f.
The growing of cotton by Alexander Greig is reported in the Register,
26 March 1863, page 2d.
Also see South Australia - Industries - Rural, Primary and Secondary - Cotton.
The death of Mr N. Francis is discussed in the Register,
2 and 29 January 1864, pages 2e-3d and 3a.
The town's first Fair is reported in the Observer,
13 August 1864, page 3b; also see
1 and 8 October 1864, pages 4b and 4b,
4 March 1865, page 3b (supp.),
4 September 1865, page 2e (supp.),
10 March 1866, page 8a,
13 August 1864, page 2e,
30 September 1864, page 2e-f,
6 and 8 October 1864, pages 2d and 3c,
7 October 1867, page 3b.
Also see South Australia - Agricultural, Floricultural & Horticultural Shows .
The laying of the foundation stone of the courthouse is reported in the Register,
1 September 1864, page 2d-e.
Also see South Australia - Crime, Law and Punishment - Law - Local courts.
The Register of 16 March 1870, page 5b announces the first edition of the Gumeracha Guardian, edited by Ebenezer Ward:
The creed of the paper [will] be cheap land, encouragement to native industry and special taxation of the real estate of absentees.
(Also see Register, 7 October 1870, page 5a and Adelaide - Newspapers, Newspaper Vendors and Almanacs)
29 June 1867, page 3f.
A proposed bridge over the River Torrens is discussed in the Register,
5 August 1867, page 3e,
12 October 1867, page 3h.
Information on the proposed North Gumeracha bridge is in the Register,
30 January 1871, page 3f.
Local flooding is reported in the Register,
15 October 1867, page 4b.
A report on a storm and flooding is in the Observer,
5 November 1870, page 7e.
Also see South Australia - Natural Disasters - Floods.
A meeting to consider forming a "Flax Company" is reported in the Register,
30 March 1870, page 5a.
A proposal to grow flax in the district is in the Advertiser,
20 May 1871, page 2f.
Flax growing is discussed in the Observer,
18 November 1871, page 9f.
Also see South Australia - Industries - Rural, Primary and Secondary - Flax.
Information on the proposed North Gumeracha bridge is in the Register,
30 January 1871, page 3f.
A cricket match, Gumeracha versus Mount Pleasant, is reported in the Register,
8 February 1871, page 6d;
versus Mount Torrens on
20 December 1872, page 7b.
Also see South Australia - Sport - Cricket - Miscellany.
An event titled "Royal Athletic Sports" with results of competitions is reported in the Register,
11 February 1871, page 3e.
Also see South Australia - Sport - Athletics and Gymnastics.
A sports day is reported in the Observer,
10 January 1880, page 69e.
An Oddfellows' sports day is discussed in the Chronicle,
10 January 1885, page 8g.
"Recreation Ground for Gumeracha" is in the Observer,
29 July 1882, page 27c.
A meeting held to consider pushing for a railway from Adelaide is reported in the Register,
21 August 1882, page 6e.
"A Railway Wanted" is in the Register,
24 March 1906, page 10g; also see
2 May 1906, page 8a,
14 February 1910, page 7a.
Also see South Australia - Transport - Railways - Miscellany.
Comments on the district by Ebenezer Ward, MP, are in the Chronicle,
1 November 1884, pages 5e-7c.
Also see Place Names - Ward, Hundred of.
A gold-find in Dead-Horse Gully is reported in the Register,
14, 16, 18 and 21 March 1885, pages 6b, 6e, 4h and 5c. Also see
2, 3 and 13 April 1885, pages 7c, 5a-6a and 6b,
2 June 1885, page 5b,
1 July 1886, page 6e,
22 September 1894, page 6f,
19 February 1886, page 5g,
9 April 1886, page 3c.
Also see South Australia - Mining - Gold.
A hunt club meeting is described in the Register,
3 September 1888, page 6e; also see
13 October 1890, page 7b.
Also see South Australia - Sport - Fox Hunting.
Information on a football team is in the Express,
3 April 1889, page 3g,
7 May 1895, page 4c,
11 May 1895, page 21b.
Also see South Australia - Sport - Football.
The opening of a butter factory is reported in the Advertiser,
20 December 1889, page 7c.
It is described on
8 September 1894, page 6d.
Information on a butter factory is in the Register,
19 December 1889, page 6g,
5 October 1889, page 30a,
20 December 1889, page 7c.
It is described on
8 September 1894, page 6d.
Also see South Australia - Industries - Rural, Primary and Secondary - Dairying.
Information on a produce company is in the Register,
4 June 1891, page 5d.
A typhoid epidemic is reported in the Register,
3 and 11 July 1890, pages 5a and 4h-6f.
Also see South Australia - Health - Fevers - Typhoid.
"Gumeracha and Its Environs" is in the Advertiser,
16 September 1890, page 6g,
"Wattle Lands in Gumeracha" in the Chronicle,
13 December 1890, page 7b.
"Bark Mill at Gumeracha" is in the Register,
20 February 1906, page 8d,
24 February 1906, page 45d.
Also see South Australia - Industries - Rural, Primary and Secondary - Wattle Bark.
The town and district are described in the Advertiser,
11 December 1902, page 7b,
29 September 1910, page 5b,
21 November 1927, page 7c.
"Old Gumeracha Days" is in the Advertiser,
14 January 1936, page 17b.
"A Prosperous District" is in the Register,
17 March 1903, page 4g.
A photograph of the monument erected in memory of Trooper John Hartley is in the Chronicle, 14 May 1904, page 44.
Biographical details of Dr J.R. Stephens are in the Register,
26 May 1903, page 5e,
Observer, 30 May 1903, page 4a (supp.).
October 1904, page 4h,
of Mrs John Rowe on 21 November 1923, page 11h.
Biographical details of Mrs William Cornish are in the Register,
22 February 1904, page 3g,
Observer, 27 February 1904, page 1c (supp.);
an obituary appears on 8 October 1904, page 20c, Register,
4 October 1904, page 4i.
"W.R. Randell - The Grand Old Man of Gumeracha" is in the Register,
3 May 1904, page 9b.
Extracts from W.B. Randell's diary are reproduced in the Register,
6 January 1909, page 6g.
"Fighting Fruit Pests - Lively Meeting at Gumeracha" is in the Register,
1 June 1904, pages 5g-6g-h.
Also see South Australia - Industries - Rural, Primary and Secondary - Fruit and Vegetables.
Biographical details of Alexander Jamieson are in theRegister,
8 March 1906, page 5a.
The laying of the foundation stone of the Town Hall is reported in the Register,
15 February 1909, page 6 and
its opening in the Advertiser,
22 November 1909, page 8d;
a photograph is in the Chronicle,
27 November 1909, page 32.
Information on and a photograph of the Greig family are in the Observer,
5 December 1908, page 30.
Photographs of cutting redgum are in the Chronicle,
26 February 1910, page 30.
"Around Gumeracha" is in the Register,
29 and 30 September 1910, pages 5b and 10a.
"A Promising Industry - Soapstone and French Chalk" is in the Observer,
24 December 1910, page 40c.
The Wesleyan Church jubilee is reported in the Observer,
2 September 1911, page 40d.
A memorial to W. Jamieson, MP, is discussed in the Observer,
23 August 1913, page 17a.
"Gumeracha Wood Blocks [for the Port Road]" is in the Register,
26 October 1914, page 7a.
Also see Port Adelaide - Port Road.
"A New Roadway" is in the Express,
30 September 1915, page 5e.
"Immense Hills' Fire - Gumeracha in Peril" is in The Mail,
21 February 1920, page 3d.
Also see South Australia - Natural Disasters - Bushfires.
"Old Coaching Days" is in the Register,
16 and 23 July 1921, pages 4g and 5e,
13 August 1921, page 4h.
Also see South Australia - Transport - Horse Coaches.
The laying of the foundation stone of the Memorial Hospital is reported in the Advertiser,
26 October 1921, page 9f and
its opening on
24 July 1922, page 10c,
29 July 1922, page 12a.
Photographs are in the Chronicle,
29 July 1922, page 27,
29 July 1922, page 25.
Photographs of the unveiling of a memorial arch are in the Chronicle,
13 February 1930, page 36.
Also see South Australia - World War I - Memorials to the Fallen.
The opening of a cold store is reported in the Register,
7 March 1923, page 12f.
The reminiscences of Mrs John Rowe are in the Observer,
24 November 1923, page 23d.
"Shocking Tragedy at Gumeracha" is in the Register,
1 and 10 January 1929, pages 7a and 11a,
5 January 1929, page 16.
Gumeracha - Obituaries
An obituary of Mrs W.B. Randell is in the Register, 30 December 1874, page 5c.
An obituary of William Lillecrapp is in the Register, 27 April 1881, page 2c (supp.),
of John Moore on 31 August 1898, page 6b.
An obituary of William Hicks is in the Register, 27 August 1890, page 4h,
of W. Giddings in the Register, 4 August 1897, page 5a, Observer, 7 August 1897, page 13b.
An obituary of Mrs Joseph Broadribb is in the Register, 8 January 1903, page 4i,
of George Hannaford on 24 December 1903, page 8a.
An obituary of George Hannaford is in the Observer, 2 January 1904, page 34c,
of Dr J.R. Stephens on 7 September 1912, page 41c,
of Alexander Jamieson on 12 October 1912, page 41a,
of W. Redden on 10 October 1914, page 42a,
of H.H.L. Spehr on 27 February 1915, page 41a,
of William Green on 26 August 1916, page 33b,
of Mrs John Monfries on 2 September 1922, page 20a,
of Dawson Hanna on 13 August 1927, page 28b.
An obituary of Robert Cornish is in the Register, 18 July 1923, page 8h,
of Frederick Giddings on 19 September 1927, page 8h.
On section 1480, Hundred of Kapunda. John Gundry of Helston who purchased the section on 4 December 1850. It was the site of an old Cobb and Co. coaching station.
Near Kapunda; see Chronicle, 27 September 1924, page 55d under "Old Coaching Days":
Hidden away on Gundery (sic) Hill, at the back of Kapunda, is the old yard where the mail coaches had their home. Here, where the hillside has been quarried out and the coachhouse and stables had living rock for their walls, are still to be found relics of those days when Kapunda marked the limit of the railway line and the passengers bound further out and the mailbags were conveyed further outback by the swaying coaches of Cobb & Co... In the old coachhouse on Gundery Hill is the last of the old
Cobb coaches, worn and dilapidated in many of its fittings. Despoiled of all that is portable, it still is a noble relic of the days of yore...
Near Pernatty Lagoon north-west of Port Augusta, named by H. Brooks, a surveyor, in 1875. Dr John Michael Gunson, MRCS, who arrived in South Australia in 1852 in the Grasmere. He was a member of the Senate of the Adelaide University and President of the Catholic Young Men's' Society:
- By his unassuming ways and charitable acts [he] endeared himself to a large number of the poor - when any public charity required assistance, he was always to the fore...
Dr Gunson's obituary is in the Advertiser,
5 May 1884, page 6d.
"A Trip to Mount Gunson" is described in the Register,
27 May 1899, page 7f; also see
10 June 1899, page 9f,
24 June 1899, page 40b,
14 June 1900, page 5h and
17 June 1899, page 10b.
The mine is described in the Chronicle,
16 June 1900, page 15a,
15 November 1904, page 6f; also see
24 December 1904, page 38a,
8 July 1905, page 45a,
7 August 1915, page 3d,
1 July 1916, page 8a.
Also see South Australia - Mining - Coal.
The laying of the foundation stone of a smelter is reported in the Register, 30 June 1905, page 8f:
On 28 June 1905 the ceremony of the laying of the foundation stone of the smelter was performed by Miss Gertrude Young, daughter of one of the directors of the mine. The party assembled at the site indicated by a Union Jack floating in the breeze... The stone, a fine block of freestone quarried on the mine property, was placed in position by Mr. Renfrey of Wallaroo, the mason who had charge of the work...
A large amount of money had been expended in proving and locating the ore by shafts, pits and systematic boring over the property. Waiting and hoping that the Kalgoorlie to Port Augusta railway might be within measurable distance, they had now determined to erect a reverbatory furnace...
A photograph of a motor tractor is in the Chronicle,
9 December 1911, page 31.
Its school opened in 1974 and closed in 1984.
GurraNear Lyrup. W.E. Lewis's orchard is described in the Observer,
15 February 1913, page 13c.
A railway station 25 km north-east of Lameroo. Aboriginal for 'food'.
The school opened in 1939 and closed in 1968.
Guthrie, Hundred of
Robert S. Guthrie, MLC (1891-1903). Born near Glasgow, Scotland in 1857, he settled in South Australia following fifteen years of seafaring life. A staunch Labor supporter he left the party in 1917 following expulsion from the Seamen's Union over the conscription issue. His most notable contribution as a politician was as a member of a Royal Commission into navigation and the resulting Act of Parliament was known as the 'Guthrie Act', while he was tagged with the nickname 'The Australian Plimsoll'. His close friend W.M. (Billy) Hughes described him as 'a shell-back, a real sailor', who still, 'woke at 4 am and rolled heavily in his gait'; he always wore a square pilot coat and billowing pants and it was said of him, 'he was true to his mates, and he had many of them'. On 19 January 1921 he was knocked down by a tram in Melbourne and died the next day.
Also see South Australia - Politics.
Biographical details of Mr Guthrie are in the Observer,
30 May 1891, page 33b,
22 May 1896, page 1,
5 April 1902, page 1;
an obituary is in the Express,
20 January 1921, page 1d.
A school of this name opened in 1933 and closed in the same year.
Gwennap ValeThe Observer of 2 March 1867, page 2e (supp.) has a report on this place in the vicinity of Fourth Creek.
Gypsum MoundSamuel Parry's journal is reproduced in the Register of 27 August 1858, page 2e and says, inter alia:
The men shall return this way and they shall build a gypsum column on the mound for the guidance of water seekers and the elevation shall be called "Gypsum Mound".
(Also see Parliamentary Paper 24/1858.)