Place Names of South Australia - H
Hog Bay - Hope, Lake
- Hog Bay
- Hogarth, Mount
- Holden Gardens
- Holden Hill
- Holmes Creek
- Holowilena Creek
- Homburg, Hundred of
- Hope Downs
- Hooper, Hundred of
- Hope, Lake
- Hope Forest
- Hope Town
- Hope Valley
Two kilometres east of Penneshaw. J.W. Bull in Early Experiences in South Australia says:
... reported to be so called from pigs found there by sealers, supposed to have been left by the French navigator [Baudin], who left a rock marked at this place.'
The Register of 17 April 1855, page 2g says its alternative name was "Freshwater Bay" and at the bay was "a small settlement of islanders, who cultivate some 200 acres of fertile land ... It was at this place that the French surveying ship, La Geographe obtained water... in 1803."
A letter from a resident complaining of a notice to quit on account of the land being taken up by pastoralists is in the Register, 20 January 1860, page 3a:
This small, but interesting locality has been the scene of great excitement lately in consequence of a squatter having leased it for a sheep run and given notice to residents to quit. Now there are some dozen families who are residing here. Their doing so is unlawful but repeated applications have been made to the government to survey and offer the land for sale, but the settlers cannot get them to do so.... On the island there are upwards of 200 residents, but no minister of religion of any denomination, no doctor and no schoolmaster. The first and last are much wanted; the other, on account of the healthiness of the climate, would have very little to do, as illness and casualties are few and far between.
The district is described in the Observer,
20 August 1864, page 4h.
A meeting of residents interested in the establishment of a public school is reported in the Register,
11 January 1865, page 3c,
27 November 1869, page 6d.
A letter regarding the school is in the Register,
2 April 1877, page 6a and
the teacher's response on
30 April 1877, page 6a.
A photograph is in the Chronicle,
30 September 1911, page 33.
Rioting at Hog Bay is discussed in the Observer,
16 September 1865, page 7h.
The town is described in the Register,
6 May 1876, page 6b,
18 and 22 February 1905, pages 8h and 6e,
8 April 1905, page 7e,
15 February 1879, page 21a.
Photographs are in the Observer,
26 January 1907, page 28.
In an article in the Register, 8 March 1880, page 5f entitled "A Week on Kangaroo Island" it is said, inter alia:
[Here] is a cottage wherein resides George Bates, the last survivor of the race of settlers who took up their abode on the island many years before South Australia had any separate existence as a British colony.
(Also see Register, 8 January 1889, page 5c and Place Names - Kangaroo Island - Early History.)
2 February 1878, page 20e.
A poem titled "The Lay of Hog Bay" is in The Lantern,
13 March 1880, page 9.
The beginnings of an apiary by Mr Fiebig, with particular emphasis on the rearing of "Queen Bees", is reported in the Register,
23 November 1885, page 5a.
Also see South Australia - Industries - Rural, Primary and Secondary - Beekeeping.
The district is described in the Chronicle,
10 March 1888, page 6f.
"The Shooting Case" is in the Express,
18 October 1893, page 4c,
8 December 1893, page 3f.
Information on the unloading of ships by bullocks and a controversy over a jetty is in the Observer,
15 September 1900, page 30b
(a photograph of "the old landing place" is in the Observer,
22 August 1903, page 26),
4 May 1901, page 47c,
3 and 10 August 1901, pages 29e and 23c,
2, 16 and 30 November 1901, pages 28d, 31d and 37d.
26 October 1901, page 30e,
21 March 1903, page 1b(supp.),
6 June 1903, page 23 (photo.).
A photograph of the landing place appears in the Chronicle,
15 August 1903, page 42; also see
13 April 1907, page 27 and
6 and 27 June 1903, pages 23 and 24,
25 February 1905, page 24,
26 January 1907, page 28,
28 December 1912, page 29.
An earthquake is commented upon in the Observer,
27 September 1902, page 34d.
Also see South Australia - Natural Disasters - Miscellany.
"Long Pull to the Doctor" is in the Register,
18 May 1904, page 6f,
21 May 1904, page 1c (supp.).
A photograph of Ephraim Bates is in the Observer,
25 February 1905, page 24,
of members of a bachelors' club is in the Observer,
6 July 1907, page 32.
Biographical details of E.S. Bates are in the Register,
1 March 1905, page 9d.
"The Joys of Bachelorhood" is in the Register,
5 June 1907, page 6e; also see
6 and 13 July 1907, pages 5g and 7h.
"About Hog Bay - Firebrick Industry" is in the Register,
4 April 1908, page 10a.
Photographs are in the Observer,
23 January 1909, page 30.
"Hog Bay Revisited" is in The Mail,
29 May 1915, page 8d.
Hog Bay - Obituaries
An obituary of Mrs William Adams is in the Register, 25 November 1876, page 5f,
of Thomas Willson in the Register, 22 May 1901, page 4h,
of Mrs Thomas Willson in the Register, 4 April 1906, page 4h, Observer, 7 April 1906, page 37e.
An obituary of Mr McRidge is in the Register, 30 November 1892, page 5d,
of Henry Newbold in the Register, 20 August 1896, page 5d, Observer, 22 August 1896, page 28a,
of Mrs Mary Seymour on 13 September 1913, page 41b.
An obituary of Rev T.R. Caust is in the Register, 6 April 1909, page 5c,
of Henry Chenoweth on 2 February 1927, page 10h.
North-east of Lake Eyre North, named by J.W Lewis, on 28 January 1875. Thomas Hogarth, MLC (1866-1885).
Thomas Hogarth's farm near Smithfield is described in the Register,
12 February 1863, page 3g.
His obituary appears on
4 September 1893, page 6d:
When Thomas Hogarth first settled on his present farm, Smith's Creek flowed past his door giving him a plentiful supply of running water throughout the year. After a few years, either in consequence of the dry seasons, or that the creek had been dammed up and the water diverted to turn a water mill, the creek dried up and the water had to be carted from the springhead, at a distance of two miles from the house... He was one of the first to use Ridley's reaping machines...
A subdivision of part section 417, Hundred of Yatala by Holden Motor Body Builders Limited in 1924; now included in Woodville.
An obituary of Mr J.A. Holden is in the Observer,
4 June 1887, page 30d.
An interview with Mr H.J. Holden is in The Mail,
7 February 1914, page 8f,
an obituary is in the Register,
8 March 1926, page 10g.
"Holden's Big Works" is in Register,
3 July 1923, page 11f,
7 September 1923, page 8g; also see
16 October 1923, page 4c.
"Holden's Record Breaking Picnic" is in the Register,
1 February 1926, page 9e:
On 30 January 1926 Mount Barker was visited by between 7,000 and 8,000 picnickers, the occasion being the first annual picnic arranged by the employees of Holden's Limited. Five special trains loaded to their full capacity, conveyed the men with their wives and families to Mount Barker where the show grounds were secured...
4 April 1927, page 1e.
A visit to Holden's works is reported in the Advertiser,
15 June 1929, page 16c.
"Holden's Fine Musicians" is in The News,
15 January 1925, page 6f;
"Sale of Holden's Business" is in The News,
5 March 1931, page 14e.
A corruption of 'Halden'. Robert Halden who arrived in the Hooghly in 1839 acquired land in the Dry Creek area in the 1840s; as late as 1935 the area was referred to in the District Council minutes as 'Halden Hill'. It has been suggested that it derived its name from William Holden, a member of the literary staff of the Register but this can be disregarded.
An obituary of Mrs Robert Halden is in the Register, 5 November 1896, page 5a:
Mrs Halden, the widow of the late Robert Halden, died at Blackwood on 31 October 1896. They came to the colony in the Hooghly in 1839 under engagement of the late Mr Gooch in whose service they remained for six years. Subsequently they took a farm near Modbury...
Sir Frederick W. Holder, MP (1887-1901). Born at Happy Valley in 1850, in 1877 he became manager of a store at Burra, Town Clerk and first Managing Director of the Burra Record, of which he was later proprietor.
Its school opened in 1925 and closed in 1951.
A school at the Holder Village Settlement School opened in 1894 and closed in 1904;
the Holder Siding School operated from 1929 until 1938.
The district is described in the Chronicle,
18 September 1909, page 7d.
Biographical information on Mr F.W. Holder is in the Register,
27 June 1889, page 5f,
21 June 1892, page 6d.
An editorial in the Register of
17 July 1895 at page 4f offers the following opinion of him:
Hardly ever before has he given such a brilliantly successful performance in his well-known role of political contortionist; and this is saying a great deal in allusion to Mr Holder whom the House has known since he lost the celebrated free trade backbone... What can one do with such a man? Argue with him? Surely not. One might as well try to pick up a handful of quick-silver.
3 August 1895, page 4e,
14 May 1901, page 4b.
For his obituary see Register,
24 July 1909, pages 8c-11a).
Family photographs are in the Chronicle,
17 January 1903, page 43.
"The Politician as Preacher" is in the Observer,
29 August 1896, pages 24d-29e.
"The Ex-Premier" is in the Register,
15 May 1901, pages 4f-8e.
"Sir Frederick Holder and Technical Education" is in the Express,
3 August 1909, page 3e.
A political cartoon is in The Critic,
22 April 1899, page 15.
Information on the village settlement is in the Register,
6, 13, 14, 17, 26 and 28 March 1894, pages 7b, 7a, 6a, 6b, 6a and 7d,
9 and 21 April 1894, pages 3g and 6d,
30 April 1894, page 6e,
10 May 1894, page 6b,
7 and 18 July 1894, pages 7e and 6g,
17 October 1894, page 6g,
22 November 1894, page 6e,
14 May 1896, page 7b,
14 December 1903, page 8a; also see
16 November 1896, page 5a.
Also see South Australia - Social Matters - Miscellany - Village Settlements.
The Australian Homes and Gardens of September 1929 says:
This is the euphonious name given to the northern forty acres of Baulderstone's farm on the Goodwood Road Tramway which has recently been acquired by A.W. Ellis, of Parsons and Wilcox ... It is ideal non-cracking building land and perfect garden soil.
An article entitled "Hollywood in Adelaide" is in the Advertiser,
5 October 1929, page 24d.
Thomas Holmes of Mundoo Island, who held pastoral lease no. 60 of 1851.
It is described in the Register, 4 August 1859, page 3a:
Ram Island, a small island separating the Holmes Creek and Goolwa channel... The waters heading sharply around under the influence of Holmes Creek and the Coorong channels, run out in a south-westerly direction to the sea...
A subdivision of part section 302, Hundred of Adelaide by James Taylor Holmes and John Holmes in 1881; now included in St Morris,
Information on and a history of the vineyards are in the Advertiser,
2 April 1862, page 2e,
5 May 1877, page 22c,
30 April 1880, page 5a,
17 March 1883, page 22b:
The Westley Nursery and Vineyard belonging to Mr John Holmes is situated on the north of the Magill road about one quarter of a mile nearer Adelaide than Mr Williams's. Here there are two acres of vines in full bearing and three acres planted with cuttings last winter... Mr Holmes makes red wine from the Black Hambro and Grand Turk and a white wine from the Sweetwater and Muscat, mixed with other sorts in smaller proportions. He has recently built a very convenient cellar and he anticipates that he will make this season about 1,000 gallons of wine from the two acres, besides having sold a considerable quantity of grapes. He has also four acres of orchard and nursery containing fruit trees of almost every variety...
A vine pruning competition on Mr J.T. Holmes' vineyard is reported in the Register,
18 July 1895, page 3h.
It is described on
18 February 1919, page 7a.
The export of grapes by J.T. Holmes and J.F. Pascoe is reported in the Observer,
3 June 1893, page 30c.
The golden wedding of Mr & Mrs John Holmes is reported in the Register,
25 July 1893, page 5b.
An obituary of Mrs Mary Holmes is in the Register,
26 January 1911, page 7a.
Information on a private school is in the Advertiser,
20 December 1905, page 9e.
In the North Flinders Ranges. Aboriginal for 'place of the rat'.
According to Dr Charles Davies whose diary is in the Mortlock Library the word means "where the birds go to water". An 1864 description of the station is also included therein.
A report of two "dromedaries about 14 miles to the north-west of Mount Victor..." appears in the Register of
11 July 1861, page 2b under the heading "Holowilena" - "These animals have probably strayed from Mr Burke's exploring party...";
also see 1 July 1861, page 2e and Augusta, Port and South Australia - Flora and Fauna - Camels for information on the "official" introduction of camels into South Australia.
In the Department of Lands the name of the creek is rendered as "Holowiliena" but the official spelling of the name is "Holowilena" which, according to Pastoral Lease Diagram Vol 2 page 2, was adopted for the run held by Messrs Warwick and Lithgow.
Information on a local silver ore mine is in the Register,
23 May 1888, page 7d. Also see South Australia - Mining - Coal.
The district is described on
31 July 1924, page 3f.
"A Trip to the Guano Caves" is in The Mail,
10 June 1922, page 13b.
An obituary of James Warwick is in the Register,
16 December 1903, page 6h,
Observer, 19 December 1903, page 44a,
of John Warwick on 12 July 1911, page 39a,
of Robert Warwick on 19 November 1927, page 32b,
of Frank Warwick on 26 May 1928, page 49b.
An interview with Mr Frank Warwick is reported in the Register,
28 May 1919, page 6e,
9 August 1924, page 6a:
The approach to Holowiliena is very picturesque for the country is studded with pine and redgum. You pass a new woolshed - made from pine - on the top of a rise, go down a dip and follow a creek for a few hundred yards until you come to the old homestead in a wealth of big timber - at the top of the world it would seem. There, in that peaceful retreat, we spent the night with a most interesting trio of pastoral veteran - Messrs Frank, Robert and Tom Warwick....
Photographs of the family and station are in the Observer,
2 August 1924, page 34;
of the homestead in the Chronicle,
31 March 1932, page 33.
Homburg, Hundred of
Robert Homburg, MP. In 1918, the Nomenclature Committee suggested that it be renamed 'Poondulta', the Aboriginal name for a well in the Hundred but the Government decided on 'Haig'. (Marshal Earl Haig of World War I).
Homburg Point on Venus Bay, was named in 1910 - see Advertiser, 21 January 1910.
Also see South Australia - Politics.
Biographical details of Mr Homburg are in the Register,
19 August 1890, page 6e,
Observer, 27 May 1893, page 16d,
Weekly Herald, 30 November 1901, page 4a.
"Mr Homburg and the Judges" is in the Chronicle,
12 August 1893, page 4e:
Mr Homburg ought to have known better than to hold the judges up to public opprobrium in the absence of any reasonable ground for his complaints against them... Mr Homburg was, in fact, in the predicament of being unable to establish his original assertions and had no alternative but to back down with as little loss of dignity as special pleading could secure. His sad experience should be a useful lesson to all parliamentary economists whose zeal has a tendency to outrun their discretion.
9 November 1894, page 4a.
An editorial and obituary are in the Advertiser,
25 March 1912, pages 8d-9h.
21 January 1910, page 6e.
In 1856, Peter Roberts, licensed victualler and farmer of Guichen Bay, purchased sections 220-21, Hundred of Waterhouse and in the following year laid out portion of it as Honeyton, named after his father-in-law, Richard Honey; now included in Robe.
Parliamentary Paper 24/1874 shows "Honey Town School" being conducted in a dwelling-house by Betsey Ekers with 44 enrolled pupils.
Eleven kilometres SSE of Yorketown in the Hundred of Melville. The town was proclaimed on 27 April 1876 and has a namesake in Devonshire. It was originally a subdivision of section 376, Hundred of Melville by the surveyor James W. Jones in 1874, but was never offered for sale. From 1876 to 1968 only 14 allotments were sold, while lots 415-17 were granted to the Minister Controlling Education. It ceased to exist on 26 September 1982.
Its school opened as "Diamond Lake" in 1874, changing to "Honiton" in 1891;
it closed in 1942.
A photograph of students is in the Observer,
4 May 1907, page 29.
The opening of the Institute is reported in the Advertiser,
26 February 1886, page 6g,
29 January 1910, page 17c:
The township, which in the surrounding locality is generally known as the 'Diamond Lake', is situated in the agricultural area of Troubridge... It lies about six miles west of Edithurgh and the road thither from the latter place is over about a bad a piece of road as can, in all probability, be found in any part of South Australia. Limestone boulders crop up in all directions and although portions of the road have been recently metalled and put in a fair state, there is enough left to cause more than the average amount of profanity on the part of those whose ill-luck leads them to drive much in that direction...
An obituary of Mrs James is in the Register, 2 February 1900, page 5b,
of Mrs William Diprose in the Observer, 7 September 1907, page 40d,
of R.A.F. Voight on 19 September 1914, page 23a,
of John Davey on 25 September 1920, page 19a,
of George Ilberry on 12 October 1920, page 6h.
A corruption of the Aboriginal jukena - 'black place' - the Hookina Creek south of the railway station flows across slaty, black rocks.
A dust storm is described in the Observer,
21 October 1865, page 3d (supp.).
Also see South Australia - Natural Disasters - Miscellany.
The Register, of Alexander Gibbs on
24 July 1926, page 11d,
of Daniel Barrett on
16 April 1927, page 44a,
of Thomas Munn on
19 November 1927, page 49d.
The Register of 25 August 1866 at page 3e has an interesting letter from a resident re the "Dog Tax" - see note Bordertown.
The town is described in the Chronicle,
31 December 1881, page 5f,
10 June 1899, page 19a:
The boundary of actual wheat growing country lies a little north of Hookina and west of the railway line, where an average of eight bushels is reported with patches of land giving fifteen... The overland telegraph line is visible here as it runs off to Old Hookina on its way through the western plain... Cottages for the line repairers and a few stray tents are all that constitute this incipient township...
Its school opened in 1885 and closed in 1923; the Hookina Railway School operated from 1885 until 1886.
The laying of the foundation stone of the Catholic Church is reported in the Advertiser,
18 July 1885, page 6e.
A sports day is reported in the Chronicle,
14 January 1888, page 14c,
10 October 1906, page 9d,
30 November 1912, page 13b.
A cricket match against Mern Merna is reported in the Chronicle,
17 April 1897, page 28a;
versus Woolyana on
18 March 1899, page 5b.
Also see South Australia - Sport - Cricket - Miscellany.
Photographs of a rabbit catch are in the Chronicle,
16 February 1933, page 36.
Also see South Australia - Flora and Fauna - Rabbits.
Hooper, Hundred of
Richard Hooper, MP (1891-1902). Born in Cornwall in 1846, he came to South Australia with his parents in 1858, when they settled at Burra. He worked in the Moonta Mines until he entered Parliament as the first Labor member of the House of Assembly; although he attended Caucus meetings he never joined the Labor Party. He was known as the 'silent member' as he only made one speech during his political life after which he moved to Perth, where he died in poverty in July 1909.
Also see South Australia - Politics.
Biographical details of Mr Hooper are in the Observer,
30 May 1891, page 37d,
29 August 1891, page 33b,
Register, 29 April 1896, page 6f,
Weekly Herald,7 August 1896, page 1.
"The Moonta Miners and Mr Hooper" is in the Weekly Herald,
11 February 1899, page 3b; also see
12 October 1901, page 3a.
"Honouring Mr Hooper" is in the Observer,
28 June 1902, page 39a; also see
26 July 1902, page 4d;
an obituary appears on
31 July 1909, page 40a.
The Hundred is described in the Advertiser, 12 July 1911, page 12e:
On Sunday, 8 October 1911 the first service held in the new Hundred was conducted by Reverend John Blacket who was on a visit from the city. There was a good muster - 18 men and two little lads, the sons of Mr Richards. Neither preacher nor congregation had a hymn book but old familiar hymns were sung. The service was held in the open air as no building has yet been erected at the bore. The preacher took his stand behind a cartload of chaff for shelter from the wind. The congregation stood before him among the mallee. It was a novel and interesting sight... As yet there is little social organisation in the Hundred. We get our mails or letters as best we can. Settlers visiting Moorlands or Tailem Bend bring out letters for others. Steps are being taken to arrange for the establishment of a school.
A bushfire is described in the Register,
1 November 1911, page 7b,
13 February 1912, page 6d.
Also see South Australia- Natural Disasters - Bushfires.
"Mallee 20 Years Ago - And Now" is in the Advertiser,
12 November 1932, page 8f.
In the Hundred of Karcultaby, named by Stephen Hack in June 1857 because it was a 'considerable extent of fine grazing country, running into bold, bald downs'. The 'Hope Downs Run' (lease no. 1516) was held by J.M. Linklater from 1867. However, in December 1862, H.A. Crawford is recorded as taking up lease no. 1109 at 'Hope Downs' near Streaky Bay.
Reports of Hack's expedition are to be found in the Register of 1857
- 1 January (p. 2e),
11 June (p. 2c),
25 August (pp. 2f-3c) and
26 September (p. 2h).
Details of his exploration are in the Register of
5 January 1858, page 6c and
his comments on same appear on
3 February 1858, page 2g.
An obituary of J.M. Linklater is in the Observer,
23 December 1882, page 24a.
Hope ForestAlso see South Australia - The Depression Years - 1930 to 1936.
Its school opened in 1932 and closed in 1970.
A photograph of students is in the Chronicle,
9 August 1934, page 32.
The settlement is described in The Mail,
23 July 1932, page 13,
7 March 1933, page 13.
"Hard Work at Hope Forest" is in the Advertiser,
26 August 1932, page 23e:
Eighteen months ago Hope Forest was a nameless stretch of virgin soil. At Port Adelaide six men were out of work and forming a great scheme among themselves. They had rations but wanted to work for them. So they approached the Minister of Crown Lands and asked for a piece of land at a peppercorn rental... Fifteen months ago Hope Forest was born to the crash of the axe and flash of a mattock...
25 February 1933, page 14h.
"Pioneer Women in Hope Forest" is in The News,
6 June 1935, page 12e.
A subdivision of section 306, Hundred of Yatala by Robert Stuckey (1821-1897) circa 1855 probably took its name from the nearby village of Hope Valley.
An obituary of Robert Stuckey is in the Observer,
11 September 1897, page 30c.
It emerged as a township in 1842 when it was named by William Holden, a butcher and storekeeper, who cut up section 824 into blocks of four acres. His store was burned to the ground but, far from feeling downcast by the loss, he felt 'inspired by hope', hence the name.
"Hope Valley Pioneers" is in the Observer,
20 October 1906, page 3d (supp.).
The opening of a new schoolroom is reported in the Observer,
10 November 1849, page 3b and
of a school in the Register,
3 January 1851, page 3b; also see
12 November 1851, page 3b and
8 April 1854, page 3b;
examinations are reported in the Express,
14 October 1873, page 2d.
Education Department records show a school opening in 1866 and closing in 1980 when it was replaced by Ardtornish Primary School; also see Advertiser,
23 September 1876, page 5e.
A ploughing match is reported in the Register,
22 September 1860, page 3e,
23 September 1865, page 3g,
22 September 1866, page 7f.
22 September 1866, page 2g (supp.).
Also see South Australia - Industries - Rural, Primary and Secondary - Ploughing Matches.
Information on a proposed Methodist Church is in the Observer,
24 February 1866, page 2g (supp.);
the laying of its foundation stone is reported on
11 May 1867.
A coal discovery is reported in the Register,
2 April 1857, page 2f.
Also see South Australia- Mining - Coal.
Information on a proposed Methodist Church is in the Register,
24 February 1866, page 2d,
Observer, 24 February 1866, page 2g (supp.);
the laying of its foundation stone is reported in the Register,
11 May 1867, page 2e.
A stag hunt is reported in the Register, 25 May 1866, page 2g:
A number of our German riflemen assembled yesterday for a day's sport and decided to go stag shooting. A venerable fourteen-ender was selected for the occasion and taken to the shooting ground of the German Rifle Club... After their day's fielding the company enjoyed a capital dinner provided by Host Bothe, Bremen Hotel.
German rifle club matches are reported in the Observer,
27 April 1867, page 4h.
A report of a German "Schuetzengesellschaft" is reported in the Register,
4 January 1871, page 3f.
Also see South Australia - Sport - Rifle Shooting.
William Holden's obituary is in the Register,
12 October 1897, page 5g.
Details of the reservoir contract are in Chronicle,
15 May 1869, page 6a, 23 July 1870, page 11f,
Parliamentary Paper 177/1869-70 - also see
Parliamentary Paper 27/1873, 38/1873, 114/1873 and
the Register in 1869 - 23 April, page 2e and
18 and 26 May, pages 2f and 2d,
9 May 1870, page 5c,
17 October 1871, page 4e,
22 June 1872, page 5a,
2 August 1873, page 4e,
9 and 23 August 1873, pages 13e and 3a.
The pollution of the reservoir by sheep is reported in the Register,
18, 19, 20 and 27 May 1886, pages 4g, 5g, 6f and 4g; also see
17 August 1889, page 8c.
A sketch is in Frearson's Weekly,
26 April 1879, page 81.
Also see Adelaide - Water Supply.
The laying of the foundation stone of the German Church is reported in the Observer,
7 February 1885, page 36b.
An obituary of Wilhelm Eime is in the Register, 7 September 1908, page 5b,
of Mrs Caroline Klopper on 24 March 1914, page 8a,
of Frederick Buder on 18 April 1914, page 16a.
"Sunday Hotel raid [Bremen]" is in the Register,
24 October 1914, page 3f.
Biographical details of William Ramsay are in the Register,
26 March 1920, page 6h,
Observer, 3 April 1920, page 28c.
A field naturalists excursion is reported upon in the Register,
19 September 1922, page 4e.
Hope, LakeIn an editorial in the Register entitled "The Far North" on 2 March 1860, page 2d it is said, inter alia, "... the lake discovered by the Stuckey brothers... if we retained the native name we should call it Lake Pando"; also see
8 March 1860, page 2g.
It is described in the Register,
29 April 1861, page 3c.
A letter re the establishment of an Aboriginal Mission is in the Register,
5 December 1863, page 3a - see
30 August 1866, page 2f and Chronicle,
13 October 1866, page 2g for the establishment of a Moravian mission.
Its operation and other facets are discussed in the Register in 1867,
6 February (p. 2g),
5, 6 and 24 April (pp. 2g, 3b and 2e, 3a) and
3 July (p.3a); also see
31 December 1868, page 3a,
23 March 1869, pages 2d and 3h,
27 March 1869, page 2h,
7 May 1869, page 2g,
18 November 1869, page 2e,
30 July 1878, page 6a,
30 December 1886, page 3f.
Also see Observer, 9 February 1867, page 1c (supp.),
6 and 27 April 1867, pages 1e (supp.) and 5f,
1 June 1867, page 3a (supp.).
The transportation of the cutter Alexandra to the lake is reported in the Register,
25 August 1863, page 3d, 30 October 1863, page 2f,
Observer, 1 and 29 August 1863, pages 4f and 6g.
"Lake Hope Natives" is in the Register,
5 December 1863, page 3a.
Troubles with the Aborigines are discussed in the Register,
30 December 1865, page 2g,
2, 5, 8, 9 and 20 January 1866, pages 2f, 3a, 3e, 2d and 2e,
5 February 1866, page 3d.
"Blackfellows on Trial" is in the Register,
14 September 1866, page 2d.
"Lake Hope and Its Neighbourhood" is in the Observer,
6 and 13 January 1866, pages 7f-1g (supp,) and 5g.
Also see 21 April 1866, page 7f.
A journey from Port Augusta to Lake Hope, via Horrocks' Pass and Willochra, is reported in the Register,
3 October 1868, page 3f-g.
An account of Trooper Samuel Gason's exploits in the region is in the Register,
15 November 1873, page 5a.