Place Names of South Australia - K
Ketchowla - Kingsley
- Ki Ki
- Kidman Park
- Killalpaninna, Lake
- King, Hundred of
- Kings Park
- Kings Town
The Hundred of Ketchowla was proclaimed on 5 August 1880 and named by Governor Jervois from the 'Ketchowla Run' taken by F.C. Austin in the 1850s (lease no. 1698), which he purchased from Christopher Giles Snr, who first held the land in 1853 (lease no. 306).
A cricket match at Wonna Wells, Ketchowla versus Terowie, is reported in the Register,
29 May 1880, page 5b. Also see South Australia - Sport - Cricket - Miscellany.
- A correspondent sends us an account of a match between the Terowie Club and eleven surveyors from Ketchowla. The trysting place was Wonna Wells... With characteristic sagacity the surveyors had selected a good site... and having won the toss they elected to go in first... The luncheon is reported to have been one of the "best features of the game"... A pleasant day was spent and cheers were given for Mr Austin (captain of the surveyors) and Mr Roach (of the Terowies)...
22 February 1883, page 3c,
28 June 1890, page 9b.
12 February 1898, page 3c.
A history is in the Chronicle,
30 December 1937, page 9a.
An obituary of Mrs William Dearlove is in the Register,
3 August 1921, page 8e.
A subdivision of part sections 152 and 358, Hundred of Jellicoe 10 km south-east of Angaston into 18 allotments by Johann F.W. Reimann in 1878; its school opened as 'North Rhine' in 1861 making the change in 1918. It is reputed to have been named after Joseph Keynes a partner with George Fife Angas in the firm J. Keynes and Company.
Its school opened as "North Rhine" in 1861 making the change in 1918; see Chronicle,
5 September 1885, page 5g.
- A week or two ago I was on my way to Sedan for the first time and about two miles from Keyneton came to a building that I thought at some time or other had been used as a place of worship, but I learned... that it was the Keyneton school house... I was fairly disgusted with at the whole surroundings... The closet is minus two side walls and a door and is exposed to all the winds of heaven... The site is a very undesirable one as it is two miles out of the township. I was informed that several little children have to travel three miles to the school (from the west) through muddy roads and creek... I am confident that such a rookery would never be allowed to exist under the name of a school and escaped the notice of the heads of the department.
27 April 1878, page 22b.
Joseph Keynes' obituary is in the Register, 15 May 1883, page 5a,
of William Keynes in the Observer, 14 April 1900, page 22e.
An obituary of Mrs Ann Johnson is in the Register, 21 July 1904, page 4i,
of Mrs H.A. Foebiger on 10 February 1908, page 5a,
of R.F. Graetz in the Observer, 3 April 1909, page 15e,
of Mrs Angas Evans on 20 October 1928, page 49a.
A local Show is reported in the Register,
8 November 1902, page 8g,
5 November 1904, page 4a (supp,).
Also see South Australia - Miscellany - Agricultural, Floricultural & Horticultural Shows .
"Trials of Pioneer Days", the reminiscences of Mr G.A. Payne, is in the Advertiser,
27 June 1924, page 14b.
"The Tragedy at Keyneton" is in the Register,
10 March 1928, page 9a.
The town 48 km south-east of Tailem Bend was proclaimed on 12 June 1913, while its post office opened in January 1912 and its school in 1913 (closed in 1960). An Aboriginal word relating to worms which were dug out of a nearby soakage, located on section 21, Hundred of Livingston
The opening of the Congregational Church is reported in the Advertiser,
2 November 1910, page 13g.
The town and district are described in the Observer,
3 December 1910, page 12b.
Its school opened in 1913 and closed in 1960.
Another portion of the south-eastern 90-mile "Desert", now becoming known as the Border Downs, is Ki Ki. It is prophesised that Ki Ki will b the key to the northern half, as Keith will be to the southern half of the Downs.... Mr Champness is in possession of a nice section near the siding and is more than satisfied with his first crops.... The soil will grow anything and vegetables should form one of the staple products in years to come... A large vote has been made towards a railway station and gangs of men are at work laying the foundations and arranging the railway yards.
Laid out on part sections 413 and 431, Hundred of Yatala by the South Australian Housing Trust in 1954. Sir Sidney Kidman, the 'cattle king' once owned the land. Its school opened in 1967.
Under the heading "A Typical Australian" Mr Kidman is eulogised in the Observer,
20 December 1902, page 44b, - "He never smokes or drinks, and never swears, no matter how great the provocation"; also see
18 July 1903, pages 33e-34a,
5 September 1903, page 38,
6 August 1904, page 9h.
Also see Observer,
28 March 1908, page 43a,
4 April 1908, page 52a,
28 January 1903, page 4g,
31 August 1903, page 5b ("The Life of Syd Kidman") and
26, 27 and 28 March 1908, pages 5f, 5c and 10c,
14 April 1919, page 7c and
21 March 1927, page 14f.
"Outback - A Trip With Mr Kidman" is in the Observer,
26 June 1909, page 50c,
3, 10 and 17 July 1909, pages 14e, 51b and 50d; also see
3 June 1911, page 13a,
24 June 1911, page 46a,
23 May 1914, page 37a.
"The Kidman Immigrants" is in the Register,
16 November 1909, page 4d.
"The Premier and Mr Kidman" is in the Register,
2 May 1911, page 4e.
"With the Cattle King - An Interesting Diary" is in the Register,
31 May 1911, page 3f.
"Cattle King on Trek" is in the Register,
20 June 1911, page 9a,
15 September 1913, page 13d.
Information on his purchase of land in the area is in the Observer,
31 May 1913, page 22a.
"A Patriotic Pastoralist" is in the Observer,
13 March 1915, page 32b.
"Cattle Owners at War" is in the Observer,
15 January 1916, page 18a,
"Cattle King's Generosity" on
12 February 1916, pages 31c-34c.
"Mr Kidman's Stock Leases" is in the Register,
26 July 1916, page 6i.
"His Early Retirement Foreshadowed" is in the Register,
14 April 1919, page 7c.
"Cattle King off to America" is in the Observer,
19 April 1919, page 31d.
"Rise of Sir Sidney Kidman" is in The News,
15 September 1925, page 4b.
26 March 1927, page 49a.
Photographs are in the Observer,
30 June 1928, page 37.
"Loving the East" is in the Register,
15 July 1926, page 11c.
"Big Station Deals" is in the Observer,
1 September 1928, page 8a.
"Romance of South Australia's Cattle King" is in The Mail,
18 April 1931, page 8d; also see
6 August 1932, page 15,
22 June 1935, page 10e.
"The Boss is Given a Party" is in The News,
3 September 1932, page 4d.
For his obituary and information on his life and times see Advertiser,
3 September 1935, pages 16f-g and 17d.
Its school opened in 1967.
Aboriginal for 'short distance'.
The school opened in 1940 and closed in 1945.
The name was taken from a suburb of London, England and is probably derived from the Old English ceol - 'a keel, a ship'; other sources say it comes from the Old Norman kill - 'a narrow bay'. The name also occurs in Scotland where in 1417 it was written as caleburne which is probably a hybrid of the Gaelic call - 'a hazel' and the Scottish burn - 'stream'. Of interest is a report in the Register, 30 August 1894, page 5a which tells of the 'Kilburn Sisters', a scholastic order founded for the purpose of spreading education.
Of interest is a report in the Register, 30 August 1894, page 5a which tells of the "Kilburn Sisters", a scholastic order founded for the purpose of spreading education. "The members of the order conduct large and flourishing schools in London and other parts of England... A high-class junior school is about to be opened by the sisters at St Paul's Home, North Adelaide..."; also see
6 September 1904, page 4f and
11 February 1910, page 4g.
Its school opened as "Chicago" in 1914 making the change in 1931.
Originally comprised portion of section 388, Hundred of Yatala subdivided as the 'Township of Kilkenny' by Messrs Robert Miller, William A. Bryden, William Paxton and Henry Collier in 1849:
- [This] spot must inevitably be adopted as a midway railway station the effect of which on the value of Kilkenny needs no allusion here. (See Adelaide Railway Times of 22 and 29 August 1849 - the former advertises the subdivision as 'Edwardton'.)
A subdivision of section 388 is named "Edwardton" in the Adelaide Railway Times on 22 August 1849, page 1c -
a week later it is shown as "Kilkenny".
Its school opened in the York Rechabite Hall in 1888; also see Express,
18 May 1888, page 3f,
6 March 1889, page 5b,
1 October 1889, page 5b,
6 October 1893, page 4d,
23 October 1913, page 5f.
An obituary of F.W. Gee, headmaster, is in the Observer,
13 April 1907, page 38e.
A Wattle Day at the school is reported in the Register,
4 September 1920, page 9e.
A photograph of an Arbor Day is in the Chronicle,
13 August 1931, page 77. Also see South Australia - Education - Arbor Days
For Kilkenny North School see
- Some months ago a deputation waited upon the Minister and asked that a teacher should be appointed at Kilkenny to conduct a school in a hired building. This was done and an excellent teacher having been appointed he had opened a school at the York Rechabite Hall. There were at present 100 scholars on the roll... Admission had been refused to 20 scholars during the past few weeks... and it was estimated that at least 250 scholars would be enrolled as soon as a large school was opened at Kilkenny...
7 March 1885, page 3f,
29 July 1885, page 7f,
8 and 12 June 1885, pages 6g and 5b; also see
21 July 1886, page 3g,
7 and 8 September 1886, pages 2d and 4f.
An industrial dispute with the company is reported in the Register,
30 October 1886, page 5a,
3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 10, 15, 16 and 17 October 1888, pages 5c, 7a, 6f, 4g-7b, 4h-6c, 3e, 5b, 5g and 4g,
11 March 1889, page 5a. Also see
28 August 1891, page 6f,
1 September 1891, page 6h,
1 and 3 February 1893, pages 7e and 7f,
13 October 1888, page 1 (cartoon),
9 August 1902, page 15 (cartoon).
Also see South Australia - Industrial Relations - Miscellany.
A presentation to A.R. Lungley is reported in the Regsiter,
15 April 1889, page 5b,
to T.R. Kneebone on
11 May 1892, page 5d.
New machinery for the factory is described in the Register,
12 July 1889, page 5b and
a company picnic on
15 February 1892, page 7h,
20 March 1893, page 7g,
20 March 1899, page 3e.
Mr George Fulton's obituary appears on
3 July 1895, page 4h; also see
24 July 1895, page 5b.
"An Iron Foundry Wrecked" is in the Express,
26 November 1896, page 2d.
Information on James Hooker's foundry is in the Chronicle,
1 August 1885, page 7f;
a strike is reported in the Register,
18 and 19 August 1890, pages 7c and 7a.
Information on the railway station is in the Register,
11 July 1890, page 3c.
The lighting of the railway station with acetylene gas is reported in the Register,
23 June 1904, page 3h.
Also see Adelaide - Transport - Railways.
The district is described in the Register,
24 and 28 March 1892, pages 7g and 3d and
"A Visit to the Workshops of Kilkenny" on
6 September 1893, page 7h.
Information on M. Ferguson's steel pipe works is in the Register,
17 August 1895, page 7e.
"Blockers' Gardens at Kilkenny" is in the Register,
13 June 1896, page 6c.
"Tragic Murder and Suicide" is in the Chronicle,
1 April 1899, page 16.
A photograph of the laying the foundation stone of a classroom at the Congregational Church Sunday School is in the Chronicle,
17 February 1906, page 29.
Mr A.W. Shillabeer's dairy farm is described in the Register,
18 June 1910, page 4a and
9 July 1910, page 55c;
an obituary is in the Register,
28 February 1922, page 4h,
4 March 1922, page 31a.
Also see Adelaide - Public Health - Milk Supply.
The opening of Salvation Army barracks is reported in the Register,
1 August 1912, page 5f.
Also see South Australia - Religion - Salvation Army.
The golden wedding of Mr & Mrs John Coumbe is reported in the Register,
3 December 1914, page 4h.
"The Kilkenny Fires" is in the Register,
12 July 1917, page 5b.
The opening of a new fire station is in the Register,
24 July 1916, page 9d,
10 October 1917, page 8e.
Also see Adelaide - Fires and the Fire Brigade.
A disturbance at the Adelaide Glass Works is reported in the Advertiser,
19 November 1912, page 15c,
28 and 30 April 1917, pages 7g and 7b,
25 May 1917, page 7d.
Also see Adelaide - Factories and Mills.
Photographs of a welcome home for soldiers are in the Observer,
5 October 1918, page 26.
The Returned Soldiers' Hall is discussed in The News,
15 September 1927, page 16d.
Also see South Australia - World War I - Memorials to the Fallen.
The diamond wedding of Mr & Mrs William Goodier is reported in the Register,
20 May 1925, page 11g.
Biographical details of W. Harmer are in the Register,
17 November 1926, page 12c.
Information on the Kilkenny Scout Group is in The Mail,
28 July 1928, page 16d.
Also see Adelaide - Boy Scouts.
Kilkenny - Obituaries
An obituary of W. Rae is in the Register, 8 October 1896, page 5b,
of Charles Dawson, wine and spirit merchant, on 18 April 1903, page 5a.
An obituary of Peter Roach is in the Register, 6 September 1913, page 16a,
of J.B. Berry on 6 January 1917, page 6i,
of E.C. Mattinson on 19 May 1921, page 6i,
of Cecil F.O'H. Wright on 1 December 1921, page 8c,
of Francis Marsh on 9 April 1925, page 9i,
of James Cross on 3 March 1926, page 8h,
of Mrs Elizabeth M.A. Pengilly on 11 August 1927, page 8h.
An obituary of J.B. Berry is in the Observer, 13 January 1917, page 12b,
of John Coumbe on 20 June 1925, page 43a,
of Elizabeth M.A. Pengilly on 13 August 1927, page 28c.
An obituary of Alfred Menhennett is in the Register, 29 February 1928, page 8h.
The Hundred was named by Governor Fergusson after his estate in Scotland.
The school opened in 1880 and closed in 1943.
There were two Kilkerran South schools - one closed in 1922 while the other opened in 1880 and closed in 1928.
22 January 1879, page 5a for information on North Kilkerran.
7 October 1882, page 28a.
A description of a local school and teacher's residence appears in the Register on 5 October 1882 at page 7:
The wind blows through so that the children sitting near the wall have to keep their bonnets on; the water runs into the centre of the schoolroom in pools; if a fire be lighted the smoke is so bad the fuel has to be all carried out again... The "dwelling-house" [consists] of two paltry rooms... bedroom 8x8; sitting-room 8x11...
4 December 1907, page 7a.
An obituary of Mr Hoffman is in the Register,
29 April 1909, page 7b,
of Israel J. Moody on 21 April 1921, page 6i.
The golden wedding of Mr & Mrs C.A. Fichtner is reported in the Register,
27 June 1911, page 4g.
Information on a German school (St Paul's) at South Kilkerran is in the Register,
30 September 1913, page 9d,
4 October 1913, page 17b.
Also see South Australia - World War I - Germans in Australia.
A sports day is reported in the Chronicle,
26 August 1882, page 21f.
Athletic sports were held on August 7 on the grounds of Mr J. Smith which were kindly lent for the occasion... The principal event was the half-hour go-as-you-please for which there were six competitors three of whom retired after a few laps and the prize fell to L. Trenaman, 5 miles and 1,420 yards, Mr M.J. Maloney being 20 yards behind him. The handicappers were D.A. Flintoff, F. Meyerhoff and F. Clift; judges, Messrs B. Moody and W.E. Jury and honorary secretary, Mr J.J. Maloney... [A comprehensive list of events and winners follows]
Also see South Australia - Sport - Cricket - Miscellany.
A photograph of an Australia Day celebration is in the Observer,
7 August 1915, page 29.
An obituary of Phillipp J. Oster is in the Register,
1 September 1925, page 8h,
of I.J. Moody is in the Observer,
23 April 1927, page 19e.
Most of the names on the Birdsville track are part of a big legend up to Cannuwaukaninna. They deal with the search by a Moora (or tribal god) for two dogs that got away from him at Beltana. He followed them and got on to their tracks at Dulkaninna, then on to Tidnacoordaninna, where he got bogged in the mud of the waterhole (tidna, 'foot'; unda or coordna, 'sticky mud'); the concluding word should be ana, the local word for water.
The Moora then went on to Cannuwaukaninna, where he complained that his legs were too tired, and that is the meaning of Cannuwaukaninna; then on to Ethaduna which means 'turn back'. He was told here that the dogs had doubled back south-east, so he followed on and found them at Kiltallie-Oola (two dogs) - but this is off the Birdsville track. Going north from Ethaduna we come to Kopperamanna (properly Koppara Murra - koppara, "root'' murra, "hand''). This was a great trading centre and all tracks led to it (as all the fingers come together in the root of the hand, so all tracks lead to Kopparamurra.) Killalpaninna was left away to the west; this got its name from an intrigue that the sun Moora had with a lady, and we must avoid scandal.
Information on the mission station is in the Observer,
8 August 1896, page 29a.
3 October 1896, page 43a,
28 November 1896, page 42c,
11 September 1897, page 41c,
29 January 1898, page 30e,
23 July 1898, page 52d,
4 February 1899, page 27c,
21 February 1903, page 34e,
4 September 1897, page 9c,
30 January 1902, page 7g.
Sketches of the mission are in the Pictorial Australian in
November 1882, page 169.
Photographs of the pastoral station are in the Chronicle,
1 August 1929, page 36.
The name was taken from the 'Killanoola Run', held by Henry Seymour in 1851 (lease no. 171).
The district is described in the Observer,
2 June 1866, page 5g.
- We travelled by way of Mr Dixon's station and reached Killanoola (Mr Seymour's) about noon. Mr Seymour gave me a hearty welcome, such as the squatters are accustomed to give to persons travelling in the bush who know how to behave themselves.... [His] house is pleasantly situated on rising ground from which you look over a vast expanse of flat country, much of it unfortunately being swampy... The land was rather poor, only suitable for pastoral purposes. Around the house there were some portions of soil of superior quality which had been diligently cultivated. But the whole of the Mosquito country is comparatively poor. The choice land is undoubtedly around Mount Gambier and Penola...
KillarneyFor information on its school see
On section 48, Hundred of Smeaton 32 km north-west of Rudall, was a place where people met to hunt and kill kangaroos.
Its school opened as "West Smeaton" changing in 1932;
it closed in 1946.
A photograph of students is in the Chronicle,
1 November 1934, page 35.
A corruption of the Aboriginal kimbar - 'bark house'.
Its school opened in 1920.
A photograph of students is in the Chronicle,
25 November 1922, page 32.
"The Kimba District" is in the Advertiser,
15 April 1922, page 15a,
"Room for 240 Farmers" in The News,
16 August 1923, page 7c.
A photograph of the laying of the foundation stone of the Methodist Church is is in the Chronicle,
13 October 1923, page 35,
of the town and the school on
23 August 1924, page 36,
of cattle branding on Mr Whyte's property on
19 April 1934, page 32,
of "Brownies" on
7 June 1934, page 36.
"In the Kimba District" is in the Observer,
20 February 1926, page 7a.
The town and district are described in the Register,
25 May 1926, page 7,
The railway line from Cummins to Kimba was constructed in 1913. The original idea was the construction of a line to Darke Peak, but while that work was being carried out, settlers who were taking up land in the Hundred of Kelly approached the government and were successful in securing the extension to Kimba. Settlers in the Kimba district in those days had to suffer many hardships as there was no post office within 60 miles of Kimba. These conditions continued until November 1913 when Mr E.C. Palmer opened a post office at Kimba.... The beginnings of agricultural pursuits dates back to 1914 when a few settlers took up land, the pioneers of that district being A.B. and M. Grund, J. and E.J. Haskett, L.E. Martin and the late F. Jackson...
[At first a local] hall was used for school purposes [but] the attendance grew so rapidly that the department realised that an up-to-date school was necessary and a beautiful building of dressed limestone - obtained from Duck Ponds near Port Lincoln - has been erected... Town buildings comprise five general stores, hall, school, bakery, two blacksmith's shops, police station, bank premises, billiard saloon, station buildings, garage, other shops and numerous private residences... Hotel accommodation is in the hands of Messrs Matulich and Broad, proprietors of the Kimba Hotel... A tender has been let for the construction of a public hospital...
The opening of Palmer's pioneer store marked the commencement of business life in Kimba. The proprietor had to cut tracks through dense scrub from the railway station to reach his store. In those days the nearest neighbour lived quite a mile away. Mr Palmer then supplied bread... he also acted as a wheat buyer...
12 August 1926, page 2f,
6 March 1926, page 1d; also see
23 October 1926, page 52b,
12 August 1927, page 17d,
16 March 1932, page 11a.
Photographs are in the Observer,
13 February 1915, page 26.
Photographs of tractors excavating a dam are in the Observer,
6 December 1924, page 34.
An obituary of Tom Hannan is in the Observer,
26 December 1925, page 38a.
The opening of the hospital is reported in the Register,
20 April 1928, page 11e,
28 April 1928, page 21e.
KinchinaA field naturalists excursion is reported in the Register, 21 September 1927, page 16e.
- A small party of members of the Field Naturalists' Society journeyed to Kinchina, a little siding five miles this side of Murray Bridge. Mr E.H Ising drew attention to the limits of different species of eucalypts... Kinchina was reached at about 11 am - said to mean "rocky gully" in the native dialect - the natural features of the spot amply justify the appellation...
A subdivision of sections 4 and 6, Hundred of Naracoorte by William McIntosh circa 1850; now included in Naracoorte. He was born at Kincraig, Inverness, Scotland in 1819.
Mr William Mackintosh's obituary is in the Register, 18 October 1905, page 6h,
Observer, 21 October 1905, page 38c.
School examinations are reported in the Observer, 5 January 1861, page 3g.
The examination of children attending Mr Watson's school at Kincraig, Mosquito Plains, was held on 21st December... The following is the prize list -
First Form, J.R. Beauchamp, J. Matthews, Eliza J. Agar;
Second Form, Agnes Morris, Dugald Maclauchlan, Margaret Campbell, Wm. Watkins, W. Barrett;
Third Form, Flora McFadian, Agnes McNeil, Mary Nicholson, J. Macinnes, C. Macinnes;
Fifth Form, Catherine Mackay, Malcolm Macdougall, Donald Campbell, Alexander Mackay...
The village is described in the Chronicle,
15 February 1868, page 4f,
30 September 1875, page 4d,
17 August 1880, page 5d.
A letter in respect of its inter-changeability of name with Nar(r)acoorte is in the Register,
9 June 1880 (supp.), page 2a.
King, Hundred of
Thomas King, MP (1876-1885).
Also see South Australia - Politics.
Information on the Hundred is in the Observer,
18 March 1882, page 11d.
The name refers to a nomadic way of life practised by a local tribe of Aborigines.
The plight of Aborigines in the district is reported in the Register,
10 November 1882, page 5b.
- Will you kindly insert the following in your columns on behalf of a much abused and downtrodden portion of our community, viz, the Aboriginal tribes north-west of Port Augusta. Their country is being opened up very rapidly by the pastoral lessees, necessarily the vermin and game are destroyed. All that the governemnt provides is flour, tea, and sugar for the aged and infirm, together with a few blankets... At the present time mobs of these blacks visit the different stations and for the sake of a little tobacco, damper, or an old shirt, the lubras are with the consent of their blackfellows prostituted by the station hands.
Numbers of them are suffering from venereal diseases... Why should not a reservation be set aside for them where water could be obtained and the same be stocked for their use?... I might add that these blacks are a quiet, harmless lot, but if pressed by hunger, and when by association with the whites they begin to understand the unfair way in which they are treated, we can but expect to hear of thefts being committed and perhaps worse crimes. Then the indignation of the whites will be aroused and we shall hear of similar acts as those which occurred in a neighbouring colony some time back
Its school opened in 1916 and closed in 1982.
Information on a proposed hotel is in the Register,
8 and 24 July 1916, pages 3g and 4e.
Photographs of a horse race meeting are in the Chronicle,
18 May 1933, page 38,
26 April 1934, page 32,
of a race committee on
30 May 1935, page 31, Also see South Australia - Sport - Horse Racing
of a wooden surveyors' trig on
7 February 1935, page 35.
Laid out on part section 224, Hundred of Adelaide by Arthur White in 1905. It probably commemorates King Edward VII.
A proposal to change the name of "North Unley" to "Kings Park" is discussed in the Register,
2 February 1904, page 4f.
A suggestion as to its nomenclature is in The News,
27 July 1936, page 4e.
An obituary of Mrs Sarah Torode is in the Observer,
19 February 1916, page 41a,
of Mrs A.G. Fry on 12 July 1919, page 42d,
of Frank J. Vardon in the Register,
13 September 1927, page 6h.
A subdivision of section 902, Hundred of Yatala by Joseph Mellor (1808-1880) in 1855 and he left no reason for so naming it; now included in Seaton. He suggested that it possessed 'every facet for the successful operation of a market gardener and fresh water at 12 feet from the surface'. He created 13 allotments ranging from three to ten acres.
Lots 1 to 6, containing in excess of 60 acres, were acquired by the government in 1917 and, following the fiasco surrounding the soldier settlement scheme, it remained undeveloped, until it was purchased by the Grange Golf Club. Thus, the majority of the former village is, today, part of East Course, while the remaining land was acquired by ABC Developments Ltd for subdivisional purposes in the 1970s.
The destruction of trees within The Pinery is reported in the Register,
27 December 1898, page 4h.
An informative article on the area subject to flooding between Grange and Portland Estate and purchased by the government for soldier settlement is in The Mail,
14 July 1917, page 7d; also see
12 January 1918, page 2d and
Also see essay underSouth Australia - World War I - Repatriation.
On 1 February 1894 William L. Beare (c.1825-1910), who came to South Australia in the Duke of York in 1836 informed Mr H.C. Talbot as follows:
- It was named after Henry Kingscote one of the trustees of the South Australian Company [and a director of the South Australian Banking Company]. The name was decided upon in London and instructions were given to Samuel Stephens, the first manager of the South Australian Company, to name it Kingscote. This he did in July 1836.
Early settlement is discussed in the Observer,
31 July 1886, page 7b.
"Wholesale Desecration at Kangaroo Island" is the complaint emanating from a citizen to the Register on 20 May 1869, page 3f:
The section is now let as a farm and I understand the [SA] Company has made no reserve of the few perches enclosing the human remains.
(Also see Register, 15 June 1869, page 3b.)
8 March 1880, page 5f.
Its school opened in 1870.
A photograph of its first Arbor Day is in the Observer,
18 July 1908, page 30.
Also see South Australia - Education - Arbor Days.
A history of the town and photographs are in the Chronicle,
2 and 9 March 1933, pages 33-46 and 33.
The town is described in the Register,
6 May 1876, page 6b and
its harbour on
12 September 1879, page 7a.
"Kingscote, Then and Now" is in the Register,
18 and 23 March 1905, pages 8f and 6e,
"Kingscote as it Is" on
1 April 1905, page 4a; also see
22 February 1908, page 10f,
5 February 1910, page 14g,
16 March 1914, page 15d.
Photographs are in the Observer,
23 January 1909, page 30,
14 January 1911, page 30,
21 November 1929, page 38.
A horse race meeting is reported in the Observer,
19 April 1879, page 7b.
Also see South Australia - Sport - Horse Racing.
The harbour is described in the Register of 20 October 1883, page 7a when it is called the "Falmouth of Australia".
Shand and Co's fish-preserving works are described in the Register,
28 January 1888, page 5b; also see
6 October 1888, page 5a,
13 December 1888, page 7d,
5 and 24 April 1889, pages 5b and 5a,
8 July 1889, page 7h.
13 July 1889, page 39b.
A photograph of a fishing competition from the jetty is in the Chronicle,
3 August 1912, page 32.
Also see South Australia - Industries - Rural, Primary and Secondary - Fishing .
"Tinkettlers Punished" is in the Advertiser, 29 June 1904, page 7h.
At the Kingscote Court... John Levering, William Hamilton, Basil Airy, Reginald Airy, Charles Buck, David Buck, John Fraser, Ernest Thomas and Richard Hall were charged with having disturbed the peace of William John Turner (a newly-married man) by "knocking at the house of the informant"...[They] tinkettled and banged at the door and roof and made such a row that his cat was actually frightened to death. The tinkettlers fastened his doors so that Turner could not get out, but he crawled through a window and invited them inside to tea and cake to get rid of them and see who they were...
A photograph of a baptism in the sea is in the Chronicle,
28 October 1905, page 29,
of the harbour on
3 August 1907, page 29,
of the laying of the foundation stone of the Methodist Church on
23 November 1907, page 32,
the opening of a rifle range on
18 February 1911, page 30.
A report on an outbreak of typhoid fever is in the Register,
20 January 1906, page 9d.
Also see South Australia - Health - Fevers - Typhoid.
A photograph of the Ozone Hotel is in the Chronicle,
26 October 1907, page 30,
5 December 1908, page 29,
Observer, 7 September 1918, page 24.
Information on it is in the The Critic,
18 December 1907, page 40 (includes photographs),
29 August 1918, page 7a;
"Ozone Hotel Destroyed" is in the Register,
29 and 31 August 1918, pages 7d and 6e; also see
19 February 1920, page 4g.
Information on the Methodist Church is in the Observer,
23 November 1907, page 17a.
A photograph of a "holiday makers' camp" is in the Observer,
27 December 1913, page 29,
the laying of the foundation stone of the RAOB Hall on
26 May 1928, page 36.
Information on the telegraph is in the Observer,
6 June 1908, page 45b.
Also see South Australia - Communications - Telegraphic.
The opening of a jetty is reported in the Register,
30 November 1910, page 8f;
photographs are in the Chronicle,
3 December 1910, page 42b.
The inaugural Kangaroo Island Show is reported in the Register,
22 November 1911, page 7h; also see
30 November 1912, page 11a.
Photographs are in the Chronicle,
25 November 1911, page 31.
Also see South Australia - Agricultural, Floricultural & Horticultural Shows .
"Fish Spearing - Sport at Kingscote" is in the Register,
8 December 1911, page 9b.
Also see South Australia - Sport - Fishing.
"Morialta at Kingscote" is in the Observer,
11 October 1913, page 38b.
Also see South Australia - Maritime Affairs.
"Kingscote Curiosity Shop" is in the Observer,
28 February 1920, page 30e.
Biographical details of John Turner are in the Register,
24 March 1927, page 10g,
27 March 1928, page 13b,
of Otim Singh on 18 May 1927, page 10h,
14 December 1927, page 13b (obit.).
A photograph of the opening of the golf links is in the Chronicle,
9 February 1929, page 39,
of the hospital on
17 April 1930, page 50,
of shark-proof baths on
11 April 1935, page 34,
of an historical pageant on
6 August 1936, page 31.
Kingscote - Obituaries
An obituary of W.H. Hamilton is in the Observer,
13 January 1917, page 14c,
of George Richards on 27 January 1917, page 21e,
of P.T. Bell on 16 April 1921, page 38a,
of H.J. Beck on 8 April 1922, page 20a,
of Mrs Eliza A. Snelling on 26 July 1924, page 38a,
of Otim Singh on 17 December 1927, page 43d,
of Samuel W.J. Buck on 2 June 1928, page 45a.
An obituary of August Olsen is in the Register,
28 May 1919, page 6f,
of James Delehanty on 14 July 1920, page 8a,
of Mrs June Northcott on 5 October 1921, page 6i,
of Richard Chapman on 27 and 28 November 1923, pages 10c and 10h,
of G.H. Cox on 27 October 1926, page 8g,
of Frederick H. Gasmier on 4 July 1928, page 13b.
The Hundred of Kingsford in the County of Chandos was proclaimed on 26 September 1912. Stephen King, a member of John McD. Stuart's exploration party in 1861-62, was born at the family home in the Gawler District called Kingsford. in 1841, and died at Beulah Park in 1915.
The home and environs are described in the Register,
15 December 1865, page 2d.
A history of the property is in the Register,
18 August 1903, page 6e; also see
15 November 1906, page 4g.
The obituary of Stephen King, senior, is in the Register,
18 January 1882, page 4g.
Biographical details of his son are in the Observer,
12 August 1899, page 42e, 18 May 1912, page 53a,
Advertiser, 1 July 1912, page 11d,
an interview with him is in The Mail,
10 January 1914, page 8d, 25 July 1914, page 8e and
an obituary in the Observer,
16 October 1915, page 50a.
A school opened in 1864 by Louisa Morse and changed to 'Allandale East' in 1924 and 'Allendale East' in 1937. It took its name from a local homestead and closed in 1953.
The opening of a Wesleyan Chapel is reported in the Register,
14 January 1863, page 3f.
- A new little place of worship, called Kingsley Chapel, has been erected on Section 247, near Allendale, the land for which has been kindly given by Mr P.D. Prankerd, of Adelaide. This chapel was built and neatly fitted up by a few of the farmers in the vicinity...
2 May 1866, page 3d;
the Register of
17 April 1867, page 3c says "the schoolhouse is now completed".
Information on a Catholic school is in The Irish Harp,
2 May 1873, page 6d.