Place Names of South Australia - P
Penton Vale - Phil(l)ip Ponds
- Penton Vale
- Perlubie, Hundred of
- Pernatty Lagoon
- Perns Gully
- Perry Bend
- Peters Hill
- Petersville (YP)
- Petherick, Hundred of
- Pethick, Hundred of
- Pewsey Vale
- Pflaum, Hundred of
- Phelp Town
- Phibbs, Lake
- Philcox Hill
- Phil(l)ip Ponds
George Penton, who managed George A. Anstey and Thomas Giles' run 'Gum Flat' from 1847.
The district is described in the Observer,
27 April 1872, page 8a.
- Several selectors, some of them from Morphett Vale, have arrived on their land.... One or two have commenced ploughing, but the land is rather hard... A good deal of the country is wooded with sheoak and teatree... The nearest post office is at Weaner's Flat where the mail arrives every Sunday...
27 September 1873, page 7g.
The sale of the Pentonville Estate is reported in the Observer,
27 April 1878, page 3f.
A proposed township is discussed in the Express,
11 October 1872, page 2d.
A sale of allotments of the former station is reported in the Chronicle,
4 November 1899, page 11c.
PenworthamAlso see Place Names - Horrocks Pass
H.C. Talbot says:
The son, John Ainsworth Horrocks, arrived in the Colony on 22 March 1839 and settled on what is now Penwortham and cut up a portion into a township which he named after his family seat in Lancashire. - From his private journal kindly lent to me.
The name is a hybrid and derives from the Welsh pen - 'headland' and the Old English worphamm -'enclosed homestead'.
Information on the Horrocks' exploration is in the Register,
4 and 15 July 1846, pages 2d and 3e,
9 September 1846, page 2c.
"Early Penwortham" is in the Observer,
25 November 1922, page 53d.
Information on early settlement is in the Register,
22 August 1872, page 6b.
"Glebes, Churches and Other Things" is in the Observer,
16 October 1920, page 45c.
Information on a flour mill is in the Observer,
1 and 29 December 1855, pages 4e and 3h,
Register, 26 December 1855, page 3e.
Also see South Australia - Industries - Rural, Primary and Secondary - Farming - Mills.
The laying of the foundation stone of the Wesleyan Church is reported in the Register,
14 April 1858, page 2h; also see
25 September 1858, page 5b.
A report on the "formidable impediment to travellers in the north", ie, "Penwortham Hill", is in the Register,
26 June 1858, page 3e.
The village is described in the Register,
10 December 1861, page 3a; also see
31 August 1872, page 4f.
There is mention of a school being conducted in 1857 by Mr and Mrs Andrews in a wattle and daub hut constructed by John Jacobs - see Register, 3 May 1920, page 5d. Its government school opened in 1860.
A horse race meeting is reported in the Register,
21 January 1863, page 3g.
Also see South Australia - Sport - Horse Racing.
An obituary of Dr Anthony Sokowlowsky is in the Register,
7 August 1863, page 3h.
Details of early inhabitants of the town and district and a proposal for a church are in the Register,
22 August 1872, page 6b.
"The Penwortham Mystery" is in the Observer,
21 February 1903, pages 25-33c,
28 February 1903, page 33.
Information on St Mark's Church is in the Advertiser,
26 April 1911, page 14g,
25 April 1918, page 4f,
16 December 1920, page 5a.
A photograph of and information on Thomas C. Duke are in the Observer,
29 December 1906, page 30.
The golden wedding of Mr & Mrs W.H.P. Nicholas is reported in the Register,
20 November 1919, page 6i.
"John Ainsworth Horrocks and His Brother, Arthur" is in the Register,
10, 15 and 17 February 1923, pages 5g, 9f and 5h.
A town in the Hundred of Cameron proclaimed on 15 January 1880 and named by Governor Jervois and the most likely candidate for the honour would be John Percy (1817-1889), a lecturer to artillery officers at Woolwich, England from 1864 until his decease.
Its school opened in 1883 and became "Barunga Gap" in 1944.
The town and district are described in the Chronicle,
17 June 1899, page 19a.
The town of Percyton has been laid out in small blocks..., but two permanent way cottages, a small wooden box station, and a platform, with a house on the left, fenced and tree surrounded, having a few sheds near it, are the only signs of population. We are right among the hills which are mostly bare with a few patches of small trees along the ridges. Hereabouts is Mr R. Barr Smith's Hummocks sheep station...
Perlubie, Hundred of
Aboriginal for 'white sand hill'.
The country near Perlubie Landing is described in the Advertiser,
20 August 1906, page 5i,
11 September 1906, page 9a.
A school of this name opened in 1922 and closed in 1942.
The Aboriginal name of a local waterhole.
"The Pernatty Field - Fine Bodies of Copper Ore" is in The Mail,
7 August 1915, page 3d; also see
1 July 1916, page 8a.
Also see South Australia - Mining - Copper.
Historical information on the pastoral property is in the Observer,
8 March 1924, page 46a.
Reminiscences of life on Pernatty station, by Mrs Crook, are in the Advertiser,
24 July 1934, page 8c.
Perns GullyNear Dashwood Gully. According to the Register of 1 March 1892, page 5f it was named after William Pern who arrived in the colony in 1837.
A corruption of the Aboriginal peraparna - 'rain water'
Its school opened in 1924 and closed in 1942.
Probably Alfred Perry (c.1813-1889) who arrived in the Dumfries in 1839 and obtained the grant of section 21, Hundred of Willunga (District C) on 15 June 1847.
The Register of 23 July 1862 says:
Mr Perry has succeeded in raising a small quantity of native wheat from the seed brought in by Mr [John McD.] Stuart.
(Also see Register, 14 August 1912, page 6d.)
1 November 1926, page 13c.
In Romance of Place Names of South Australia its original name is shown as "Petersburgh" while in Manning's Place Names of South Australia it is "Petersburg" - this aberration can be explained by the fact that although the first subdivision was rendered in the English fashion - burgh as in "Edinburgh" - some later subdivisions were dubbed "Petersburg, ie, the German rendition. "Petersburg" was accepted as the official form until German names were erased from the map in 1918 - "Koch Street" in Petersburg(h) suffered a similar fate. See the Advertiser, 16 November 1916, page 7b for a complete list of the new street names under the heading "Heroes Honored at Petersburg".
A protest from residents in respect of the proposed change in the town's name is in the Register,
16 November 1916, page 4e:
The name was derived from a discussion between several of the inhabitants and the surveyor... Mr Peters had bought land and erected a store (now Jenkins' store), calling it "Peters' Store", and the surveyor suggested that the town should be called "Peters' Burg". This was the origin of the name.
(Also see Register, 20 November 1916, page 7c.)
10 July 1919, page 6f; also see
16 July 1919, page 6c where the Editor says, inter alia:
Yet it was named after the first resident of note, Mr Peters, who was not a German.
I called it Petersburg after Peter Doecke... my house was built by Mr Doecke.
A history of the town and photographs are in the Chronicle,
26 January 1933, pages 37 and 46.
Pre-town history and a description of the town are in the Register,
12 November 1880, page 6f; also see
29 October 1885, page 7a,
Parliamentary Paper 66/1886, 91/1889,
22 October 1892, page 22a,
22 April 1899, page 17c,
2 June 1904, page 8f,
14 June 1913, pages 15a-17c.
Photographs are in the Observer,
9 December 1911, page 32.
"Petersburg - Its Industries and Works" is in the Register,
14 and 16 May 1904, pages 10a and 6f.
The town is described in the Advertiser,
19 February 1910, page 18c.
"A Dip Into History" is in the Chronicle,
28 February 1914, page 43a.
"No Water Supply" is in the Advertiser,
14 June 1913, page 19e; also see
18 October 1917, page 4g,
23 March 1918, page 8g,
30 May 1918, page 7i,
30 November 1926, page 7,
7 September 1929, page 5a.
Also see South Australia - Water Conservation.
Information on the railway from Terowie is in the Register,
11 and 12 May 1881, pages 6c and 6b.
The opening of the line to Orroroo is reported on
23 and 24 November 1881, pages 5g and 4d; also see
19 April 1888, page 6c.
A photograph of the railway yards is in the Chronicle,
14 June 1934, page 38.
Also see South Australia - Transport - Railways - Miscellany.
Its first Show is reported in the Advertiser,
7 October 1884, page 7d; also see
22 October 1885, page 5f,
19 October 1889, page 7g,
18 October 1890, page 22b,
22 October 1892, page 22a.
A photograph of the committee is in the Observer,
6 November 1915, page 29.
Also see South Australia - Agricultural, Floricultural & Horticultural Shows .
A picnic is reported in the Chronicle,
7 January 1882, page 22g and
a Catholic picnic and sports day held on Mr Cochrane's paddock in the Register,
4 November 1884, page 7h; also see
9 January 1886, page 7f,
12 November 1887, page 6d,
27 September 1990, page 8g,
8 September 1894, page 22d,
10 November 1894, page 12b,
31 October 1896, page 13e,
8 January 1898, page 17c,
13 October 1900, page 34a.
A photograph of a tug-of-war team is in the Chronicle,
23 November 1912, page 30.
A horse race meeting on Mr McInerney's paddock is reported in the Chronicle,
26 May 1883, page 21d,
22 March 1890, page 21e,
17 March 1894, page 21g.
A history of the racing club is in the Register,
8 July 1927, page 4c.
Also see South Australia - Sport - Horse Racing.
A description of railway camps on the Silverton railway line is in the
9 April 1885, page 7a.
Also see South Australia - Transport - Railways - Miscellany.
The government works are reported upon in the Register,
9 April 1885, page 7a,
11 April 1885, page 36c.
The despatch of unemployed men to Petersburg is reported in the Register,
2 July 1885, page 5b.
- About eighty of the Adelaide unemployed arrived here today. Drays were in readiness at the station to convey them to Mannahill which is the site of the new reservoir. Rations were provided and tents pitched ready for the men, who felt at home under the guidance of Messrs Dyke and Quintrell... The wages of those who make full time will be 33 shillings per week...
3, 10 and 17 September 1887, pages 5f, 19f and 19f.
Also see South Australia - Crime, Law and Punishment - Law - Local courts.
The laying of the foundation stone of the Catholic Church is reported in the Chronicle,
4 October 1890, page 11c.
Information on working men's blocks is in the Observer,
9 and 30 January 1892, pages 10c and 21a; also see
19 March 1892, page 5f.
Also see Hundred of Cotton.
A Railway Athletic Club sports event is reported in the Chronicle,
10 September 1892, page 23f.
A railway picnic is reported in the Register on
5 October 1900, page 2i;
a photograph of a railway picnic committe is in the Chronicle,
21 October 1911, page 33; also see
2 November 1933, pages 34-35.
The laying of the foundation stone of an extension to the Town Hall is described in the Register,
26 June 1894, page 7g; also see
30 June 1894, page 7a,
24 November 1894, page 6a,
17 November 1927, page 13b (opening of new town hall).
Information on the school is in the Register,
29 June 1895, page 5e,
2 and 5 July 1895, pages 6h and 5c,
13 July 1865, page 8e,
11 June 1909, page 6g.
A "Hoisting the Flag" ceremony is reported in the Chronicle,
25 May 1901, page 19c and
photographs appear on
9 November 1907, page 29. Also see South Australia - Miscellany - Flags and Patriotic Songs
Photographs of a school band is in the Observer,
16 November 1907, page 32,
of high school students and teachers in the Chronicle,
26 September 1908, page 31.
The laying of the foundation stone of the high school is reported in the Advertiser,
18 September 1926, page 14c;
photographs are in the Chronicle,
25 September 1926, page 53; also see
10 September 1927, page 53.
A case of smallpox is reported in the Express,
5 December 1892, page 2e.
Also see South Australia - Health - Smallpox.
Information on a Mayor, William Heithersay, is in the Register,
10 December 1892, page 1c (supp.),
of T.H. Chinner on 22 January 1900, page 5b.
A proposed butter factory is discussed in the Observer,
20 October 1894, page 6a.
Also see South Australia - Industries - Rural, Primary and Secondary - Dairying.
Biographical details of a Mayor, J.W.G. Alford, are in the
Observer, 18 January 1896, page 16a,
of B.D. Roennfeldt on 7 January 1899, page 16d,
of T.H. Chinner on 10 February 1900, page 16a,
of G.W. Halcombe on 6 April 1901, page 16d,
of A. Jamieson on 9 December 1916, page 48e.
Information on the cyanide works is in the Express,
5 March 1897, page 3f,
9 August 1897, page 5f,
23 December 1897, page 2b and
of a cycling track in the Chronicle,
1 July 1899, page 32a.
A tennis match is reported in the Observer,
28 May 1898, page 21b.
Also see South Australia - Sport - Tennis.
The flooding of the town is reported in the Chronicle,
1 April 1899, page 19b,
Express, 10 January 1910, page 4i,
18 February 1914, page 3b;
"Petersburg Flood Waters" in the Advertiser,
8 May 1914, page 12c;
photographs and further reports are in the Observer,
14 and 28 November 1914, pages 28 and 28,
21 November 1914, pages 15a-29,
2 January 1915, pages 15a-30,
22 February 1919, page 11b,
Observer, 22 February 1919, page 25.
Also see South Australia - Natural Disasters - Floods.
An article on the Federal Hotel, including a photograph, is in the Chronicle,
2 September 1899, page 32 (supp.).
An Industrial Exhibition is reported upon in the Observer,
18 August 1900, page 14a.
A demonstration at the swimming baths is reported in the Observer,
18 April 1903, page 20b.
Information on St Peter's Hall is in the Register, 5 March 1904, page 4i, Observer,
19 March 1904, page 42a.
"Petersburgh Its Industries and Works" is in the Observer,
28 May 1904, page 42b,
4 June 1904, page 40b.
A photograph of council members is in the Observer,
15 July 1905, page 25,
of the Baptist Church Choir on
26 June 1909, page 31,
of a football team on
2 November 1912, page 32,
25 June 1914, page 8.
"A Kangaroo Hunt" is in the Register,
23 January 1906, page 3f.
Also see South Australia - Flora and Fauna - Marsupials and Mammals.
The golden wedding of Mr & Mrs W. Edmonds is reported in the Register,
27 April 1906, page 4h,
of Mr & Mrs S. Smith on 5 October 1906, page 4g.
A photograph of Dr Smyth in his Oldsmobile motor car is in The Critic,
23 May 1906, page 17.
A military cadet camp is reported in the Register,
31 March 1908, page 7e;
the opening of a branch of the Savings Bank of SA on
7 November 1908, page 6f.
Also see South Australia - Banking and Finance - Savings Bank of SA and Allied Matters .
Photographs of "Children of the Workers" are in The Herald,
11 June 1904, page 3,
of a football team in the Chronicle,
12 June 1909,
of members of St John's Ambulance on
29 March 1934, page 33.
"Peterborough Federal Band" is in the Register,
2 July 1908, page 6g.
A photograph of members of a Baptist Choir are in The Critic,
16 June 1909, page 11.
"Rent, as at Petersburg" is in the Register,
1 November 1910, page 6f,
5 November 1910, page 48b.
A proposed hospital is discussed in the Register,
3 February 1911, page 8d,
10 May 1913, page 9d,
Observer, 11 February 1911, page 17b,
17 May 1913, page 16e .
The opening of nurses' quarters is reported in the Observer,
1 December 1923, page 52c and
its maternity wing in the Register,
13 and 15 February 1926, pages 10f and 10d;
also see Observer,
20 March 1926, page 47d.
Photographs are in the Chronicle,
15 April 1922, page 28. .
"Glacial Formations Near Petersburg" is in the Register,
3 August 1911, page 8g.
"Something About Petersburg" is in the Register,
14 June 1913, pages 13a-17c.
The golden wedding of Mr & Mrs V. Teitz is reported in the Register,
13 September 1913, page 14a..
"Electric Light for Petersburg" is in the Observer,
12 October 1912, page 17d,
21 February 1914, page 16d..
The supply of electric light to the town is discussed in the Register,
18 February 1914, page 10c .
Also see Adelaide - Lighting the City and Homes.
The laying of the foundation stone of a new Institute is reported in the Observer,
26 April 1913, page 17d..
A railway picnic is reported in the Observer,
11 October 1913, page 47e..
"The Champion Railway Garden" is in the Observer,
24 January 1914, page 33d..
"The Capital of the North-East - A Dip Into History" is in the Advertiser,
18 February 1914, page 18c..
"Should Petersburg Be Rechristened" is in the Register,
14 February 1916, page 5d..
A photograph of the diamond wedding of Mr & Mrs William Edmonds is in the Observer,
8 July 1916, page 26..
Biographical details of a Mayor, A. Jamieson, are in the Register,
4 December 1916, page 8..
A photograph of Navy Day celebrations are in the Observer,
22 December 1917, page 24,
of the unveiling of the war memorial in the Chronicle,
19 April 1934, page 36, Also see South Australia - World War I - Memorials to the Fallen
of a baseball team on
12 November 1936, page 37.
"Peterborough Flood" is in the Register,
21 and 28 February 1919, pages 7f and 6f..
Also see South Australia - Natural Disasters.
The laying of the foundation stone of the Soldiers' War Memorial Hospital is reported in the Express,
11 August 1920 and
its opening in the Register,
6 April 1922, page 8c and
its maternity wing on
13 and 15 February 1926, pages 10f and 10d.
Photographs are in the Chronicle,
15 April 1922, page 28.
Also see South Australia - World War I - Memorials to the Fallen.
The golden wedding of Mr & Mrs G.A.H. Lehmann is reported in the Register,
20 February 1922, page 6g..
Biographical details of S. Kealley are in the Register,
1 September 1923, page 10g,
of S.D. Jones on 9 December 1927, page 8g.
"A Revolting Tragedy" is in the Register,
13, 14 and 16 April 1925, pages 7a, 9a and 9a..
The golden wedding of Mr & Mrs J.H. Koch is reported in the
Register, 29 April 1926, page 8f..
"The Capital of the North-East - A Dip Into History" is in the Advertiser,
18 February 1914, page 18c.
Peterborough - Obituaries
An obituary of Mr Woodward is in the Register, 20 August 1907, page 5b,
of James Chennell on 11 May 1908, page 4h.
An obituary of James Chennell is in the Observer, 16 May 1908, page 40a,
of L. Palmer, miller, on 15 January 1910, page 38b,
of W.J. Ledger on 7 September 1912, page 41b,
of Mrs Ann Johnson on 12 July 1913, page 41a,
of Dr R.M. Brady on 25 October 1913, page 41b,
of Thomas Baker on 14 February 1914, page 41a,
of J.C.A. Brauer, inventor and patentee of the Bauer acetylene generator, on 25 April 1914, page 39b,
of Joseph Witty on 25 September 1915, page 46a, 16 October 1915, page 46a,
of Harry Grant on 2 October 1915, page 45a,
of David Burford on 6 November 1915, page 46a.
An obituary of Edward M. O'Loughlin is in the Register, 25 June 1913, page 12h,
of Mrs Ann Johnson on 5 July 1913, page 14h,
of Mrs Fanny Woods on 23 April 1915, page 6g,
of Peter Witty on 20 September 1915, page 4f, 9 October 1915, page 8h,
of Harry Grant on 27 September 1915, page 4h,
of David Burford on 1 November 1915, page 6f,
of Mrs F.H.C. Schmaal on 13 July 1916, page 4h,
of Mrs Charlotte Bates on 23 July 1917, page 4e,
of John Casey on 10 October 1917, page 6h.<
An obituary of J.C.A. Brauer is in the Register, 22 April 1914, page 10b,
of William Edmonds on 18 November 1919, page 7a,
of Mrs Hannah Sambell on 29 April 1920, page 7c,
of George W. Meadows on 8 March 1923, page 8f,
of Mrs Catherine Blunsden on 1 August 1923, page 12d,
of Peter Malycha on 16 August 1923, page 10d.
An obituary Michael Edward is in the Observer, 22 January 1916, page 34a,
of Thomas Fitzgerald on 4 March 1916, page 28b,
of Robert Woods on 20 May 1916, page 33b,
of Mary H. Gentry on 23 September 1916, page 35a,
of Richard Cochrane on 20 January 1917, page 20,
of R.J. Phelan, hotelier, on 21 December 1918, page 12b,
of James Jamieson on 16 February 1924, page 45b,
of Richard Barratt on 1 November 1924, page 39c.
An obituary of Thomas J. Woods is in the Register, 18 May 1921, page 8a,
of Mrs K. Frost on 3 June 1922, page 8h,
of C.S. von Bertouch on 7 September 1922, page 6h,
of Dr C.L. Clarke on 19 September 1922, page 9g,
of George Willmott on 5 January 1923, page 6g,
of James Jamieson on 12 February 1924, page 8g,
of Margaret Casey on 24 July 1924, page 13h,
of William J. Thompson on 20 August 1924, page 11f.
An obituary of John Hartigan and Carl F.W. Just is in the Register, 12 June 1925, page 13c,
of Mrs Grace Jose on 3 September 1925, page 8g,
of Alfred S. Stone on 11 November 1926, page 12e,
of Benjamin B. Dunchue on 18 January 1927, page 8g,
of Mrs Constance Buls on 13 April 1927, page 11c,
of Mrs Bridget Bennett on 25 July 1927, page 13c,
of Mrs Louisa Hill on 4 November 1927, page 8f.
An obituary of Mrs Honoria Carmody is in the Register, 4 February 1928, page 12b,
of Mrs Jane Burke on 17 August 1928, page 13b.
The suburb was laid out in August 1875 by William Diverall. The name was imported from Scotland from whence Mr Diverall emigrated in the Atlanta in 1866.
The subdivision is advertised in the Advertiser,
1 September 1875, page 8c.
An obituary of James Bailey is in the Register,
18 September 1902, page 5d,
of David McCall on 2 April 1913, page 13a,
of Mrs William Abernethey on 18 June 1918, page 4f,
of Mrs Matilda Hurn on 29 August 1918, page 6g,
of Richard Wooldridge on 5 October 1918, page 6h,
of Mrs Mary Wooldridge on 14 June 1926, page 8g,
of Ernest A. Forbes on 2 January 1929, page 12a.
Five kilometres south-east of Riverton. Peter Inkster (c.1829-1917), an early settler. Another version is that it was originally called 'Petatz Hill'; Mr Martin Petatz owned a nearby property. However, his name cannot be located among landholders and Lands Department plans indicate the recording of Peter's Hill in 1846. Of interest is the fact that Andrew L. Inkster, born at Riverton in 1857, and described as 'of Peters Hill', married Mary Petatz in 1878.
An obituary of George Miatke is in the Register,
1 January 1907, page 6g,
of Mrs Caroline Duldig on 13 January 1928, page 13a.
An obituary of Johann Duldig is in the Observer,
4 May 1912, page 41b,
of Martin Huppatz on 9 May 1914, page 39a,
of Martin Hondon on 23 May 1914, page 39c,
of August Scholz on 6 December 1919, page 23e.
According to records in the Department of Education its school opened in 1918 and closed in 1957.
However, the Advertiser of 12 June 1917, page 4h reports the closure of a "German" school.
Hans Petersen was born in Denmark and came to Queensland in 1876, aged 23. In the late 1870s he and two brothers took up land on Yorke Peninsula and called it 'Petersville'
A meeting of the coursing club is described in the Register,
29 July 1896, page 7e;
a photograph of members appears on
2 September 1911, page 31.
Also see South Australia - Sport - Coursing
- The Petersville Coursing Club held their first meeting on Friday and Saturday at Petersville. A large number of sportsmen from all parts of the Peninsula attended... Mr J. Koch acted as Judge and his decisions were never questioned. Messrs J. Henderson and W. Wood officiated as Slippers, while Mr A.E. Gordon made a very energetic Secretary... Hares were plentiful
19 May 1904,
21 May 1904, page 34d,
of William Waters on 5 August 1922, page 21a.
Biographical details of Mrs William Vandepeer are in the Register,
1 August 1912, page 6g.
The opening of a hall is reported in the Observer,
18 July 1914, page 19a.
See Place Names - Cunningham for information on its school.
PetertonIt is advertised in the Observer of 12 January 1878, page 7g: "[It] adjoins... the government water troughs where teams travelling to and from Port Pirie must stop for water."
Petherick, Hundred of
Vernon Gordon Petherick, MP (1918-1938).
Also see South Australia - Politics.
An interview with Mr Petherick is reported in The Mail,
30 September 1922, page 2d.
- Few men have been interested in so many matters in the South-East or to have taken as active part in its development.
See under Place Names - Tungkillo for a reference to "South Petherton".
Near Mount Bryan. In 1857 George Hiles (1817-1902), purchased a considerable area of the 'Willogoleechee Run' and called it 'Petherton' after his birthplace in Somerset, England.
Information on "Petherton Estate" is in the Advertiser,
6 February 1906, page 4f.
- The Land Board... has been kept busy... in taking evidence from applicants for blocks in the Petherton Estate... The blocks vary in size from 231 to 1,157 acres...
Pethick, Hundred of
Norman William Pethick, Surveyor-General (1917-1921).
"Mr Pethick Exonerated" is in the Register,
18 May 1918, page 6h.
- The report... completely vindicated the Surveyor-General (Mr N.W. Pethick) regarding allegations against him resulting from certain land deals of the Vaughan administration...
Aboriginal for "place of pines". The 'Petina Run' was held by W.A. Horn under pastoral lease no. 1638.
Information on the cricket club is in the Chronicle,
27 August 1904, page 15a and
a sports day on
30 September 1905, page 14e.
Also see South Australia - Sport - Cricket - Miscellany.
The country is described in the Advertiser,
20 August 1906, page 5i,
11 September 1906, page 9a.
- [We came] to Petina Well and the holding of Mr William Penna, late of Port Augusta. This settler finds himself established here in consequence of a check to his enterprise as an emigrant to Western Australia. He was on the move overland to the west with his family, with many oxen, horses, mules, goats, a solitary ass and a miscellaneous collection of vehicles... when a change in programme was dictated by the dry condition of the track. A temporary halt at Petina Well had expanded into permanent occupation...
A railway station 5 km south-east of Nairne was the name of the Governor's (Sir Archibald Weigall) estate in England.
See Register, 11 June 1927, page 14g for information on Governor Weigall's establishment in England.
Aboriginal for "plenty of water".
The Observer, 31 January 1885, page 35 says:
We stopped on our way at Tarpeena where Mr Coles conducted... the examination of a squatter whom the evidence seems to prove to have been guilty of assisting in dummying. When the party called at the public house Mr Coles called into the private room Mr Kennedy, owner of Peweena Station, and charged him straightforwardly with having engaged a man named J.W. Green to dummy sections 312 and 313, Hundred of Mingbool... Then the interview closed and Green's land will be duly forfeited.
28 January 1905, page 26.
Land in the vicinity was originally laid out as portion of the'Twenty-Seventh Special Survey', claimed by Edward Rowlands and Joseph Gilbert on 17 July 1839. A resurvey was carried out by James Poole in 1842 and called the 'Wiltshire Special Survey'. Joseph Gilbert was born in Wiltshire, England in May 1800 where there is a 'Vale of Pewsey'.
The school opened in 1863 and closed in 1909.
Mr Gilbert's vineyard is described in the Advertiser,
31 January 1862, page 2e; also see
1 June 1907, page 10c.
"The Coming Vintage" is in theRegister,
24 February 1910, page 8g.
Also see South Australia - Industries - Rural, Primary and Secondary - Viticulture.
A fire at Joseph Gilbert's property is reported in the Register,
31 May 1867, page 2g,
Observer, 1 June 1867, page 3h (supp.).
Joseph Gilbert's stud is described in the Register,
3 July 1875, page 6f.
- Mr Joseph Gilbert has some excellent stock in his paddocks and stables, but his name has been associated with racing since a very early period in the history of the colony... The scenery about it is very fine, and while some of the oldest and grandest of Australian trees are to be met with on the estate, cultivation has had a good deal to do nearer home in reducing the wilderness to order. A fine vineyard, as extensive a wine cellar as can be seen anywhere, grounds kept with success, and laid out with much taste, a deer park enclosing fully a hundred head of deer, a pretty little church standing on the side of a creek in midst of garden enclosures well supplied with shrubs and creepers, all furnish objects which have a pleasing effect upon the traveller when they burst upon his view so far into the bush...
30 March 1923, page 6g,
Advertiser,30 March 1923, page 12e.
"An Historic Property" is in the Register,
8 October 1923, page 10g;
a subdivisional sale of it is reported on
29 October 1926, page 9h.
A photograph of an apiary is in the Observer,
4 July 1925, page 32.
Pflaum, Hundred of
Since 1918 it has been known as the 'Hundred of Geegeela'. F.J.T. Pflaum, MP (1902-1915).
Born in Germany in 1846, he came to South Australia in 1867, when he opened a general store at Lyndoch, removing to Blumberg (now Birdwood) in 1886 when, with his brother, he built up a successful business, adding a wattle bark mill and later a flour and chaff mill. Four of his sons served in the AIF and two were killed on the western front in France.
An obituary of his son, Lt T.M. Pflaum, is in The Mail,
6 October 1917, page 6f.
Letters from Mr Pflaum in respect of German place names are in the Advertiser,
20 and 23 November 1929, pages 24c and 22d; also see
26 November 1929, page 22d.
- I came from Germany when about 20 years of age, having to sacrifice home and the people dear to me there, to get away from the tyrannical Prussian militarism with no opportunity for a future in life and to get into a free country under the British flag... I would be most ungrateful if I did not recognise the many blessings that have come to me and many other Germans in this free country...
Phelp TownSee Place Names - Philp Town.
Phibbs, LakeA Mr Phibbs is listed as a member of Gregory's exploration party of 1858; see Observer,
4 December 1858, page 4g.
The Register of 20 July 1885, page 6b says they were discovered by G.B. Richardson and named after one of his men, Phillip Hiern, who was born in Barnstaple, Devon in 1842; he arrived with his parents, Henry and Grace, in the Cleopatra in 1852.
Official records in the Department of Lands are at variance as to the spelling of the name - see, for example, computer listing of place names, loose leaf list of place names, Enquiry Book, page 68.
The eating-house is described on
13 August 1885, page 5h.
Edward O. Philcox, who purchased section 3729, Hundred of Macclesfield on 15 May 1841.
Davidson Brothers' orchard is described in the Observer,
15 March 1919, page 5a.
"From Scrub to Orchard" is in the Register,
3 April 1924, page 5b.
- An example of how virgin scrub has been transformed into one of the finest orchards in the hills district is given not far from Philcox Hill., on the Victor Harbour railway line. With the idea of taking up apple growing in 1910, Messrs Davidson brothers looked about for suitable property [and] acquired land in the vicinity of Mr A.J. Barker's property at Mount Barker... and called the estate "Peroona"...