Place Names of South Australia - P
Phillips, Point - Pirie, Port
- Phillips, Point
- Pichi Richi
- Piggy Flat
- Pike River
- Pilchera Bore
- Pine Creek
- Pine Hut Creek
- Pine Point
- Pine Valley
- Pinkerton Plains
- Pinky Flat
- Pirie, Hundred of
- Pirie, Port
Phillips, PointThe Register of 19 February 1908, page 4g describes it as "a prominent headland on the coast between Cape Spencer and Corny Point... commemorating the name of the late senior warden of the [Marine] Board."
PhillipstownThe Register of 12 July 1889, page 7g describes it as "a comparatively new locality" in Mount Gambier.
Also see Place Names - Chain of Ponds.
Memorial book no. 100, page 152 in the General Registry Office dated 7 May 1856 has an entry which says, inter alia, 'all that Public House messuage and premises situate at Philp Town, Chain of Ponds.' The Philp family held the licence of the Morning Star Hotel for many years; see Memorial Book 16/454, 71/130, 237/236 for background information on the family and the hotel. From the available evidence it is apparent that 'Philp Town' was an alternative name for 'Chain of Ponds'.
The SA Gazette & Mining Journal of 22 July 1848, page 1d has an advertisement stating that Mr Olliver Philp was about to take up the licence of the Morning Star Inn.
A Sabbath school anniversary is reported in the Register,
12 January 1855, page 3f.
A proposed school is discussed in the Observer,
4 August 1855, page 4d.
- A public meeting was held at the Wheatsheaf Inn, Chain of Ponds on 25 July  to consider the subject of district schools... After a lengthy discussion it was proposed that "a male teacher be procured to take sole charge of the Chain of Ponds School". A resolution was unanimously passed to erect a district school at Philp Town. It was also proposed to erect a school at the Chain of Ponds, "but no other person supporting this, it fell to the ground"...
Its nomenclature is tied up with the giant mythical creature called Wano by the Kaurna tribe; picco - 'the eyebrow' and piccoddla - 'the locality of the eyebrow'.
An Essay on Piccadilly
Any discussion surrounding Piccadilly must, assuredly, commence with an appraisal of its nomenclature. In February 1893 it was said that:
The honour of naming Piccadilly has been claimed for a servant, or a member of various families - Hardy, Tomkinson, Young and Curtis. Usually it is said that the name was given in jest, the locale being so unlike London. What does seem likely is that the joke was suggested by the Aboriginal name "Piccodla'' which belonged to the ridge of hills east of Mount Lofty.
In Kaurna mythology the Mount Lofty Ranges was the body of a gigantic prostrate man called Wano and Uraidla was considered to be the place of his ears, being a corruption of the Aboriginal jureidla - "two ears". N.A. Webb in his Place Names of the Kaurna Tribe says "Marra means 'a hand'; marrana is the plural and means 'the hands or paws' and this has been corrupted to Marino."
This is given credence by documentation in the SA Museum which says: "it is derived from marana meaning 'place of the hand', from the idea that the Mount Lofty Ranges is the body of a recumbent giant man whose hand and arm are on the Marino spur running into the sea between Marino and Hallett Cove." (See Manning's Place Names of South Australia, page 194, where this derivation is disputed.) Returning to the ranges; in an informative article in The Mail, in 1921 he links Gumeracha's nomenclature with the mythical being:
The brains of his head would be in the hills towards Gumeracha. The native name for brain is ngarrumuka.
About a year ago a number of interstate and overseas journalists were looking at the fine views from "Carminow", which overlooks Piccadilly and the question was frequently asked, "But why Piccadilly?" ... I have for some time thought the name came from an entirely different source... Now it is generally recorded by the early writers that the native name for Mount Lofty was Eure, which means "the ear"... There were two place terminals used by the tribe, dlla and ngga. These indicated locality... It occurred to me that if I could find a native name for the Eyebrow I would know the native name for the ridge of hills behind Mount Lofty. At length, I found that pico is the word meaning "eyebrow"... As Eure-dlla is the "place of the ear", Pico-dlla is the "place of the eyebrow." It requires much less effort to assume that the place derived its name from the native name of the range than it does to assume that it acquired its name because it reminded some old lady of Piccadilly Circus.
He mentions many names of early settlers in the hills - Mr Guppy lived at the Dreary Hill; a gully nearby was called McFidgeon's Gully and he added that Piccadilly was so designated by Mr [sic] Young, "of North Adelaide". "The blacks, although not dangerous, were often troublesome and hung about the houses begging for food. If one was supplied, the whole tribe would appear next day and demand an equal share." The Cobbledick's were the first to grow fruit in the neighbourhood of Crafers, while potatoes were raised from seed obtained from Brown's River, Tasmania, and yielded as much as eight tons to the acre.
Strangely, he had this story to tell about Uraidla in which he invokes an Aboriginal source for its nomenclature:
My father coined it. The native name was pronounced Uree-idla and the veteran's parents evolved the word "Ureidla" out of this. On one occasion when he had taken his van to the Plough and Harrow stables in Adelaide - the chief rendezvous of market gardeners in those days - Mr Blinman, the proprietor, saw the name printed on the vehicle and remarked, "What is the meaning of that?" Mr Cobbledick readily responded, "UR an Idle Damned Lazy Animal". This reply greatly amused Mr Blinman, who said, "Make one out of mine and I will give you a drink." My father promptly seized the offer and replied, "Be Liberal In Measuring a Nobbler."
In May 1900 a deputation of residents asked the Minister of Education to provide a school at Piccadilly, where there were 50 children of school-going age:
The nearest school was two miles away and it was greatly overcrowded. At present [our] children returned home when it was pitch dark and sickness was prevalent in the wet weather as a result of the exposure which the children suffered in going to school... The Minister said he did not favour the opening of a lot of little schools, because the teachers were poorly paid in those circumstances and therefore were not so competent to carry out the work... There was a regulation that, outside of the Adelaide district, schools should be six miles apart, except there were special circumstances to warrant otherwise...
The people were particularly proud of their roads, which many a corporation may envy, and the "oldest hands" fondly revert, by way of comparison, to the time when the almost impassable tracks necessitated their carrying half-loads to and from the district boundary. At that time there was one house in the neighbouring district of Stirling that boasted glass windows and it was known as the (emphasized) house of the hills... - calico windows and bark or bag doors were the order of the day... The council has recently decided to build a chamber in which to hold its meetings and, to cover the cost, the general rate has been increased by two pence... Piccadilly is beautifying its roads with trees... The local literary society was approached by the older residents and requested to devote attention to tree planting. Having been assured of the assistance of the Council, its members consented and on Saturday afternoon arbor day was celebrated there for the first time.
For ten days we have had a mining mania in its most aggravated forms. All the mineralogists have been fossicking in the Coromandel Valley... All the chemists have been busy making and reporting the most hopeful assays.... The lucky promoters of Almandas and Potosis are haunted by friends beseeching a share of their luck at any price. The Clarendon road resounds from morning till night with the noise of exploring buggies... The words 'silver ore? are in every mouth...
The tiers are inhabited by a number of lawless and broken men, mostly runaways from the other colonies or from ships, who make a large sum of money by sawing and splitting wood... But, unfortunately, for themselves they spend it as fast as they receive. It seems Crafer is making £1,000 a year out of them and by traffic in mountain timber. He sells to them and he pays in rum. The best man, in Crafer's opinion, is he who drinks most...
Unfortunately, most of these trees were destroyed by travelling stock and, profiting by that experience, it was decided to protect the planting of 1908 with wire netting. The trees selected were mountain ash, oak, spreading poplar, white cedar and elm, the first planting being performed by Mr Pflaum at the corner of Piccadilly and Summertown Road. At the close of the outdoor proceedings an adjournment was made to Sandercock's rooms where Mr E. Percival had an appetising spread prepared. Mr W. Nicholas, Chairman of the Arbor Day Committee, occupied the chair.
"The Origin of Piccadilly", by N.A. Webb, is in the Advertiser, 3 December 1927, page 14c:
It requires much less effort to assume that the place derived its name from the native name of the range than it does to assume that it acquired its name because it reminded some old lady of Piccadilly Circus.
22 April 1882, page 4f.
The district is described and a summary of early settlement appears in the Register,
14 and 25 February 1893, pages 6b and 1a (supp.).
This material would appear to be the source of Rodney Cockburn's declared nomenclature; also see
3 November 1923, page 38.
Photographs of a market garden are in The Critic,
7 February 1903, page 1.
Also see South Australia - Industries - Rural, Primary and Secondary - Fruit and Vegetables.
Information on a school is in the Observer,
26 May 1900, page 30e.
"Progressive Piccadilly" is in the Observer,
17 August 1907, page 12e.
The events of an Arbor Day are reported in the Advertiser,
20 July 1908, page 11e.
Also see South Australia - Education - Arbor Days.
In Parliamentary Paper No. 21 of 1857-58 the Pass is referred to as 'Peachey Ritchie'. Professor N.B. Tindale says: It is derived from pitjiritji to which is doubtfully inscribed by Mr Cockburn the meaning of pitjuri, a native narcotic (duboisia) found in the north of our State. This poisonous alkaloid is used for stupefying emus, by baiting the water. Mixed with wood and ashes and animal fur it is chewed as an intoxicant by many tribes, who obtain their supplies by trading with the Wongkamala tribe on the eastern fringe of the Arunta Desert.
The Pass is described in the Register,
21 February 1878, page 6c-f.
The town is advertised in the Advertiser,
26 June 1878, page 8c.
A railway collision is described in the Register,
10 October 1883, page 6a and
21 February 1884, page 6g.
An article on the narcotic "Pituri" is in the Advertiser,
5 September 1885, page 6c,
30 September 1885, page 7c.
The school opened in 1900 and closed in 1940.
The Register, 22 April 1922, page 11 says:
- We come to the old Pichi Richi town. The first things to meet the eye are the ruins of the hotel and brewery which was run for a long time by... Billy Beauchamp. We see the remains of numbers of once happy homes for this used to be an old teamsters' town. At the old hotel and brewery Mr William Taylor (long since gone) did good business for many years. The big weeping willow trees round the brewery, the ivy, green and fresh looking, creeping up the ruins of an old chimney make a picture worthy of an artist's skill...
Photographs are in the Chronicle,
4 August 1928, page 52,
12 December 1929 (supplement).
John Pickering, MP (1865-1888). The town 15 km ENE of Yorketown was proclaimed on 24 August 1876 and altered to Wool Bay on 19 September 1940.
The town and port are described in the Observer,
16 October 1875, page 6b; also see
20 November 1875, page 8e.
- This township is situated on the coast between Stansbury and Edithburgh, eight miles from each, and although surveyed has not yet been offered for sale. The settlers in the Hundred of Dalrymple near Oaklands, after an application to have the township auctioned, received a negative reply. A meeting thereupon decided to cut the bank to the water's edge to enable them to ship produce from the next harvest at Wool Bay, near Pickering... Messrs Anstey and Giles formerly shipped wool at the same place and constructed a narrow path to roll the bales down...
John Pickering's obituary is in the Register,
17 October 1891, page 5a;
that of his son is in the Advertiser,
21 February 1921, page 6i.
The school opened in 1913 and became "Wool Bay" in 1941.
Also see Place Names - Wool Bay.
PiednippieA school picnic on Mr Campbell's paddock is reported in the Chronicle,
5 February 1898, page 11b.
The country is described in the Advertiser,
16 August 1906, page 9a,
7 September 1906, page 6c.
- Moving on again we reached Piednippie with its little schoolhouse on the top of a rise. I was told this was called the "Moseley" school. It is 30 years since I was at Piednippie and my thoughts go back to the time when this country was part of the old Kirkala station, the well on which was equipped with an overhead whim...
The first sports gathering in connection with the school took place at Mr Campbell's paddock and a very enjoyable day was spent, about 200 people being present... The judges were Messrs J. Gaze and J. Herreen; Mr W. Campbell, starter; Mr W.D. Speed, handicapper and Mr J. Feltus, treasurer.
"Bruillon" lies about 4 km west of Bowhill on the River Murray and until 1920 was known as 'Piggy Flat'. It is of Irish origin and means 'the house on the bank'.
An account of relief works in the district is in the Register,
3 June 1887, page 5c.
- Sixty men were divided into six camps and placed at Piggy Flat where they will be employed clearing a 3-chain road and in cutting stakes and posts in preparation for the erection of vermin proof fencing...
Pike RiverThe district is described in the Register,
25 August 1909, page 6d.
- Adjacent to the Pyke (sic) for a distance of five or six miles is a perfect forest of tobacco trees so dense and vigorous that nothing but bare soil is seen between... On the other side of the road are several farms, fallow land, fair looking crops and an abundance of feed...
Pilchera BoreThe school opened in 1930 and closed in 1941.
Aboriginal for 'rock water'.
The school opened 1940 and closed in 1946.
Aboriginal for 'pine trees'.
The school opened in 1948 and closed in 1951.
Aboriginal for 'many pine trees'.
The school opened in 1936 and closed in 1947.
Aboriginal for 'place of native pines'.
The school opened in 1975.
An Aboriginal name of a local rockhole. There was a Pinbong Reservoir known as 'Yumburra' since 1922. The Pinbong railway station is 32 km north of Kyancutta.
Its school opened as "Pygery Siding" in 1923;
name changed in 1942.
There is an Aboriginal word pindi meaning 'den', 'ditch' or 'grave'. The Aborigines believed that the souls of their deceased ancestors were retained in a large den. When they first saw white men they took them to be the souls of their own forefathers who, having changed their black colour to white, had come back to see, once more, their native country. There is another Aboriginal word pinda-pinda - 'having no hair', 'bald'. The name, no doubt, was taken from the 'Pinda Run'.
Its school opened in 1880 and closed in 1939;
Pinda West School operated from 1893 until 1900.
The opening of the Pinda Bridge across the Willochra Creek is reported in the Register,
9 August 1881 (supp.), page 2a.
The Pinda Post Office opened in January 1878 and was renamed 'Amyton' in April 1880.
The Hundred of Pinda is described in the Register,
23 February 1882, page 5g.
- The Hundred of Pinda, originally a sheep run, was settled in 1876-77 and the price agreed to be paid for the land varied from £1 to £1.17.6 an acre, most of the holdings being taken up at the lower figure... In some instances the mode of farming has been very indifferent... With regard to water there is a government whim, also one or two large government dams, but the supply is very inferior on the whole...
Pine CreekParliamentary Paper 73/1872 shows that the school near Auburn was conducted in a chapel by Marianne Kemp with 36 enrolled pupils; it opened in 1865 and closed in 1875.
The opening of a Bible Christian Chapel is reported in the Register,
29 September 1863, page 2h; also see
10 October 1874, page 5a for information on a chapel near Laura.
Information on and photographs of the opening of a Lutheran parsonage at Pine Creek near Appila are in the Chronicle,
20 July 1907, page 30,
5 October 1907, page 30.
Pine Hut CreekThe opening of a Congregational Chapel is reported in the Observer,
31 March 1883, page 29d; also see
13 February 1926, page 36a.
Information on the school is in the Observer,
19 February 1898, page 29e.
- Mr James Hague MP waited on the Minister of Education (Hon. J.G. Jenkins) and presented a petition from settlers in the vicinity of Pine Hut Creek asking that a school be opened in that locality. It was explained that a large room conveniently situated was available at a small rental and that the nearest school was at Rhine Villa...
Pine PointDetails of copper mines in the area may be found in Record of the Mines of South Australia (fourth edition), page 119.
Also see South Australia - Mining - Copper.
Its school opened as "Muloowurtie" in 1901;
name changed in 1941 and closed in 1971.
"A Private Jetty" is in the Register,
3 May 1904, page 9g.
Kindly grant me permission to call the attention of the public in the Hundred of Mooloowurtie... to the injustice of the Marine Board's action in granting to E.C. May power to erect a jetty at or near Pine Point. In my opinion no such power should be granted to any private individual before calling a meeting of ratepayers directly concerned and obtaining their views on such an important work...
20 August 1931, page 32.
Pine ValleyA sports day is reported in the Chronicle,
17 January 1885, page 8g.
- The annual sports were held on January 6 . The weather was nearly all that could be desired, but a slight shower fell just before the walking match and made the course rather slippery. There were between 500 and 600 persons present during the day to witness the various events...
PinefieldThis school opened in 1924 and closed in 1936.
This name was applied in districts throughout South Australia wherever there were extensive clumps of native pines which flourished on deep, sandy soils. The name was given specifically to a small pioneer settlement 10 km south-west of Owen which was later surveyed as the town of Ferguson.
Jubilee celebrations at this place near Mallala on Mr A.O. Laffer's property are reported in the Register,
19 September 1887, page 3g.
The village is described on
23 January 1904, page 6a.
- On September 6  a jubilee demonstration was held at the Pinery. A procession, headed by the Mallala Brass Band, left the Bible Christian Chapel at 12.30 and marched to the picnic grounds, kindly lent for this purpose by Mr A.O. Laffer. Arrived there Mr Laffer made a lengthy speech in which he referred minutely to the history of the colony and the progress which has been made during the past fifty years. This over, a very fair programme of sports was carried out, the principal event being a well-contested hurdle race, for which there were 12 competitors...
23 January 1897, page 15b.
"The Pinery Ghost" is in the Advertiser,
13 June 1904, page 8c and
15 July 1904, page 4f,
3 September 1904, page 10d.
Also see South Australia - Miscellany - Ghosts.
An obituary of James Barr is in the Register,
18 April 1917, page 6g,
21 April 1917, page 42c,
of Mrs James Barr on 15 November 1919, page 24b,
11 November 1919, page 7b.
A photograph of "Pinery Queens" is in the Observer,
17 November 1917, page 23,
of school teachers of the Owen district is in the Chronicle,
24 May 1934, page 32.
A corruption of the Aboriginal pingknoweileni - 'place of many rabbit-footed bandicoot burrows'. The 'Pinkawillinie Run' about 29 km north-west of Kimba was held by Gregory Hawson (1823-1885) (lease no. 1653, formerly no. 1145) from 25 August 1863.
The district is described in the Register,
14, 15, 19, 22, 26 and 28 April 1922, pages 5h, 9f, 9c, 13c, 4e and 4f; also see
17 August 1923, page 15e.
- This is undoubtedly the finest tract of country I have seen throughout the mallee areas of the State and would repay the government for the necessary expenditure on a line of railway to make it available for settlement...
the Pinkawillinie South School existed from 1930 until 1947.
See Advertiser, 25 April 1929, page 11c which apparently refutes the foregoing information gleaned from the Department of Education.
An interesting letter from S.A. Westover, Honorary Secretary of the Vigilance Committee, in respect of free education is in the Advertiser, 7 July 1928, page 15b.
In the Hundred of Pichi Richi. In Quorn - A Living History, published by the local Tourist Association, it is said that William Pinkerton is credited with being the:
- First man to explore and find a route through the pass in the hills. He took sheep through the pass, which had been known for a long time as Pichi Richi... to country near Port Lincoln.
In respect of the comments made in Manning's Place Names of South Australia on page 394
see Register, 14 February 1846, page 3b for an account of the killing of Tennant's shepherds.
A locust plague is commented upon in the Observer,
16 March 1872, page 7d.
- I had a fair opportunity of witnessing the movements of the grasshoppers. About 10.45 am they began coming in numbers from a little north of west and in a few minutes had filled the air three feet from the ground to as high as we could notice them... Thus they continued for three hours without a break, then suddenly they ceased to pass...
A Catholic picnic on Mrs Fitzgerald's paddock is reported in the Chronicle,
1 March 1879, page 2b (supp.); also see
7 February 1880, page 11e,
25 March 1882, page 16e.
The school of this name in the Hundred of Grace opened in 1886 and closed in 1967.
The Pinkerton Plains Saint Benedict's Roman Catholic Church, 3 km from Hamley Bridge, operated from 1866 to circa 1900; its cemetery is still in use.
An obituary of James Carrigg is in the Observer,
30 August 1913, page 41b.
The reminiscences of William Pinkerton, junior, are in the Register,
10 September 1915, page 7c.
On the northern bank of the River Torrens, so named because, during the depression years of the 1930s, it was used as a camp by the unemployed and cheap wine called 'Pinky' was consumed there. The Register of 29 January 1904 at page 4f describes the drink 'pinky' as 'young, immature wine, with sugar or syrup added to sweeten, and enough raw spirit thrown in to prevent fermentation.'
The Register of 29 January 1904 at page 4f describes the drink "pinky":
Young, immature wine, with sugar or syrup added to sweeten, and enough raw spirit thrown in to prevent fermentation.
30 January 1904, page 5i,
2 May 1904, page 4g,
19 July 1905, page 8b,
3, 4 and 8 September 1908, pages 4f, 4h and 9c,
17 October 1908, page 8i,
9 March 1910, page 6g,
14 March 1914, page 18e,
15 July 1916, page 13a,
31 March 1917, page 8f,
11 July 1917, page 6i,
13 March 1919, page 3f,
30 April 1924, page 12d.
"Village of Forgotten Men" is in The Mail,
14 January 1933, page 14c.
- Adelaide's village of forgotten men - the abode of river dwellers. From Morphett Street bridge it sprawls along the south bank of the Torrens and the weir, then transfers to the opposite bank and peters out about a quarter of a mile downstream. Its occupants - more than 60 unemployed single men who are waiting for the time when an improvement in the labour market will allow them to return to their respective avenues of work... They have little patches of ground and in these thrive tomatoes, trombones, melons, lettuce, onions, potatoes and even strawberries and chillies!...
A corruption of the Aboriginal peintaru - 'limestone'. The 'Pinnaroo Run' (lease no. 1852) was held by William Butcher from 1868 and later by W.H. and J.H. Hensley until 1894 when the lease expired. It was not good sheep country and most of the lessees made little out of it. The wool was carted over rough tracks either to the Murray, or all the way to Kingston in the South-East.
An inspection of the area is reported in the Register,
1 January 1891, page 5e,
10 January 1891, page 22; also see
5 and 21 December 1892, pages 7f and 1h (supp.) -
"If it has proved a failure to the wealthy why ask the poor farmer to go there..."
12, 13 and 24 May 1893, pages 5a, 5b and 7a,
3, 7 and 22 August 1893, pages 5c, 6h and 6c.
"Parliament, Pinnaroo and a Point of Principle" is in the Register,
3 and 7 August 1893, pages 4g and 5d-6g.
Sketches of a parliamentary party's camp sites are in the Chronicle,
26 August 1893, page 9,
a photograph of Mr R. McKenzie's (the first settler) camp is in the Observer,
22 May 1909, page 30.
Also see Register,
1 September 1893, page 7d,
26 September 1895, page 7c,
17 December 1900, page 3a,
27 July 1901, page 15b,
19 October 1901, page 27c,
16 October 1901, page 4c,
4 December 1901, page 9h,
1 February 1902, page 10a,
15 and 16 June 1903, pages 6d and 8g,
8 October 1903, page 7h,
18 November 1905, page 9b,
18 August 1906, page 11d,
5 and 15 February 1910, pages 14g and 7f.
"The Babyhood of Pinnaroo" is in the Register on 30 October 1923, page 7f.
"Pioneer Mallee Farming" by Mr C.A.E. Schiller is discussed in the Chronicle,
27 April 1933, page 5a.
"Lost in the Mallee Scrub" is in the Register,
14 December 1905, page 8b.
"Scrub Rolling" is described in the Register,
6 March 1913, page 5a.
"Men of the Mallee" is in the Advertiser,
21 August 1931, page 21b.
Also see South Australia - Industries - Rural, Primary and Secondary - Mallee and Dry Farming.
The proposed railway is discussed in the Register,
13 October 1893, page 4f,
16 December 1893, page 4h,
22 October 1901, page 6i and
21 November 1901, page 6c,
12 November 1901, page 4b,
9 and 30 October 1902, pages 4d and 6c,
22 June 1903, page 3f,
17 September 1903, page 8f,
15 June 1903, page 5h,
1 October 1903, page 4c.
Fifty-six years ago I inspected the Pinnaroo country and found it a worthless desert of white sand and drift. In 1865 I was again there to witness a few sheep starving to death... It is to be hoped that the Legislative Council will quash this extremely undesirable measure.
7 and 8 September 1906, pages 7d and 9i.
A photograph is in the Chronicle,
15 September 1906, page 30.
Also see South Australia - Transport - Railways - Miscellany.
Applications for hotel licences in the district are discussed in the Express,
13 December 1904, page 4b.
- Following upon the recent resumption of the Pinnaroo country several applications for licensed houses have been filed... The court granted a publican's and billiards licence to Richard Walsh for the Settlers Hotel, Wow-Wow, in the Hundred of Bews... An application by John J. Reynolds for a licence for a house to be known as the Terminus Hotel at Pinnaroo township was withdrawn... but one by Frederick C. Staer for the Land of Promise Hotel was proceeded with...
18 April 1905, page 3h.
Its opening is reported on
8 September 1906, page 8d.
Photographs are in the Observer,
22 may 1909, page 30.
"The Pinnaroo Project" is in the Register,
9, 21 and 28 October 1902, pages 4c, 4e and 4c:
If a pig is proved to be a good pig, a basis is given for a bargain; but the so-called pig is in a bag. The concealed animal may be only a decrepit mouse; and, if so, all the exuberant hope and faith and fancy of the Minister [in parliament], who "never minds", cannot make it anything else.
20 January 1903, page 4d.
A cricket match against Parilla is reported in the Chronicle,
13 January 1906, page 16e.
A photograph of a ladies' cricket team is in the Chronicle,
3 Janury 1914, page 31.
Also see South Australia - Sport - Cricket - Miscellany.
Its school opened in 1906; the Hundred of Pinnaroo School opened in 1920 and became "Yarrahville' in the same year; closed in 1943.
A photograph of the unveiling of a memorial tablet at the school is in the Chronicle,
31 July 1915, page 27.
Also see South Australia - World War I - Memorials to the Fallen.
"Water at Pinnaroo - Successful Boring" is in the Register,
30 July 1904, page 7a; also see
28 July 1905, page 7c,
28 July 1905, page 4g,
28 June 1926, page 13a,
20 January 1927, page 9a,
27 April 1927, page 9a.
Also see South Australia - Water Conservation.
"On the Road to Pinnaroo" is in the Observer,
21 October 1905, page 39d.
"Pinnaroo and its Needs" is in the Advertiser,
14 April 1906, page 9a,
the "Evolution of Pinnaroo" is in the Register of
7 February 1910, page 8f.
Photographs are in the Chronicle,
6 March 1909, pages 31-32,
15 July 1911, pages 28-29,
17 February 1912, page 32,
11 November 1922, page 22,
15 May 1926, page 33.
A sale of town allotments and broadacres is reported in the Register,
23 December 1904, page 4g;
the town is described in the Advertiser,
12 November 1910, page 16a.
Trips from Tailem Bend to Pinnaroo are described in the Register,
26 September 1905, page 3g,
16 October 1905, page 3e.
"Pioneering Pinnaroo" appears on
14 April 1906, page 4h; also see
11 December 1907, page 11g.
A sports day is reported in the Chronicle,
13 April 1907, page 41c.
"A New Farming Province" is in the Chronicle,
5, 19 and 26 October 1907, pages 42b, 42a and 42a,
9 and 16 November 1907, pages 41d and 45a.
A photograph of a settler's home is in the Chronicle,
9 May 1908, page 32,
of a football team on
9 September 1911, page 32,
of the Methodist Church in the Observer,
17 August 1912, page 32.
The opening of the Institute is reported in the Observer,
17 October 1908, page 52c,
"Pinnaroo Prospects" is in the Chronicle,
5 December 1908, page 39b.
Photographs are in the Chronicle,
6 December 1924, page 38,
6 December 1924, page 33.
"Pinnaroo - Big Figures and Optimism" is in the Register on
6 January 1909, page 5c,
"Pinnaroo - Land of Promise" on
4 June 1909, page 9d,
"Tackling New Country" on
15 March 1910, page 9f; also see
29 October 1910, page 11b.
"New Wheat Province" is in the Advertiser,
10 November 1910, page 8e; also see
5, 19 and 26 November 1910, pages 45d, 12a and 44d,
27 May 1911, page 43a,
3 June 1911, page 8a.
Photographs of the district are in The Critic,
1 March 1911, pages 12 and 13.
A photograph of members of the first district council is in the Chronicle,
12 August 1911, page 30,
A proposed new council is discussed in the Observer,
1 June 1912, page 17d.
Also see South Australia - Miscellany - Local Government.
Photographs of local flooding are in the Chronicle,
6 July 1912, page 29,
12 March 1921, page 27,
of the laying of the foundation stone of the hotel on
27 December 1913, page 29.
A Pioneer [John Kelly] Honoured" is in the Observer,
28 June 1913, page 18a.
"A Land of Promise" is in the Register on
21 October 1916, page 4g,
"Capital of the Mallee" on
24 October 1923, page 11a.
Photographs are in the Observer,
26 April 1924, page 34.
Its first Show is reported in the Advertiser,
29 October 1910, page 9f; also see
30 September 1911, page 11a.
Photographs are in the Observer,
7 October 1911, page 31.
Also see South Australia - Agricultural, Floricultural & Horticultural Shows .
The opening of the Institute is reported in the Register,
12 October 1908, page 5b.
Information on a hospital is in the Express,
3 April 1912, page 2g,
29 June 1922, page 4h,
"A Tour of Inspection" on
18 October 1924, page 11g.
Photographs are in the Chronicle,
13 April 1912, page 29.
"The Romance of Pinnaroo" is in the Register,
21 October 1916, page 4g.
"Pinnaroo Producers" is in the Register,
1 September 1917, page 11a.
The opening of a flour mill is reported in the Observer,
15 April 1922, page 45a.
Photographs are in the Chronicle,
22 April 1922, page 27.
Also see South Australia - Industries - Rural, Primary and Secondary - Farming - Mills.
A photograph of the laying of the foundation stone of the Anglican Church is in the Chronicle,
31 March 1923, page 32.
An informative historical report titled "The Progress of Pinnaroo" is in the Advertiser,
16 October 1924, page 11g and
"Prosperous Pinnaroo" on
24 October 1925, page 11a.
Photographs of a sports carnival are in the Chronicle,
9 April 1927, page 40.
"Heart of the Mallee" is in the Register,
24 October 1925, page 11e; also see
28 September 1927, page 10.
Photographs of the opening of the Mallee Highway are in the Chronicle,
23 July 1927, page 37,
of harvest time on
11 February 1928, page 41,
of a coursing event on
24 August 1933, page 38,
of a basketball team on
1 October 1936, page 32.
Pinnaroo - Obituaries
An obituary of August Huckel is in the Observer, 8 August 1914, page 39a,
of James Burns on 17 May 1919, page 14a,
of Mr McCabe on 9 December 1922, page 35c,
of Mrs W.H. Kelly on 5 May 1923, page 35e,
of G. Austin on 7 July 1923, page 35b,
of P.J. Edwards on 21 April 1928, page 49c,
of Charles R. Twelftree on 5 May 1928, page 49c.
An obituary of J. Scales is in the Register, 17 August 1923, page 18f,
of John Letheby on 1 September 1925, page 8h.
An obituary of Rev T.C. Luke is in the Observer, 13 October 1928, page 50a.
Pirie, Hundred of"Requirements of Settlers" in the Hundred is in the Advertiser,
30 August 1879, page 2a (supp.).