Place Names of South Australia - P
Poonindie - Prospect Hill
- Porter Hill & Reserve
- Porter Lagoon
- Portland Estate
- Poynton, Hundred of
- Prime, Port
- Primrose Springs
- Prince Alfred
- Princess Town
- Princes Highway
- Prospect Hill
The name given to an Aboriginal mission on Eyre Peninsula 19 km north of Port Lincoln by the Venerable Archdeacon Hale in 1850, who failed to record the meaning of the word; it probably has a reference to 'water'.
Also see South Australia - Aboriginal Australians.
For its establishment and later events see SA Gazette & Mining Journal,
29 and 31 August 1850, pages 4a and 3b,
9 and 11 January 1851, pages 4b and 3b and
28 August 1850, pages 2e and 4a.
Also see Register,
31 August 1850, page 3e,
10 September 1850, page 3b,
8 January 1851, pages 2e-4a,
13 February 1852, page 2e,
14 March 1853, page 3c,
31 August 1850, page 4c,
11 January 1851, page 1e (supp.);
Parliamentary Papers on the mission are to be found in
Letters from Archbishop Hale are reproduced in the Church Intelligence and Christian Gleaner in January and May 1851.
The Bishop of Adelaide visited the mission in 1853 and his report is in the Register,
14 March, page 3c-d.
Cricket matches played in Adelaide are reported in the Register,
7 February 1854, page 3c:
The Port Lincoln natives from Archbishop Hale's are very fine young fellows. They speak pure English, without the slightest dash of vulgarism; and are in truth far more gentlemanly than many whose Anglo-Saxon or Celtic origin should give them a better title to the epithet.
3 December 1872, page 3b; also see
4 December 1872, page 7a,
5 December 1874, page 5c.
Also see South Australia - Sport - Cricket - Miscellany.
Editorials in respect of the mission are in the Register,
18 and 17 March 1856, pages 2d and 3c,
23 June 1856, pages 2b and
3 June 1856, page 2f.
Also see Register of 1857 - 19 September (p. 3f),
1 October (p. 2d),
9 November (p. 3e),
19 November (p. 3e);
1858 - 28 September, (p. 3e);
1859 - 20 May, (p. 2g),
21 May (p. 3h),
23 May (p. 3f),
24 May (p. 3d), 31 May (p. 3b),
13 June (p. 3c),
15 July (p. 3b),
25 July 1860 (p. 2h) and
10 February 1866, page 3g,
23 March 1869, pages 2d and 3h;
18 September 1871, page 5a,
30 November 1893, page 3h,
18 November 1895, page 4g,
5 December 1895, page 5a.
"An Australian Arcadia" is in the Observer,
11 January 1873, page 6g.
- There is an educational establishment where some of the pupils can show creditable specimens of penmanship, etc. Singing classes for practising sacred music are held in the church. Everybody looked fat, happy and clean. One of the laws is that everyone must have a hot bath every Saturday evening and a cold one as often as he or she likes. The curfew bell tolls a little later than under the Norman rule and when it rings lights are put out and all retire to rest.
Every Saturday boys with little carts may be seen picking up all pieces of paper, rags, bones, etc., and taking them away for manure. Every morning the men proceed to their rural avocations - some reaping, some shepherding, some building... Meantime the wives are washing and cooking and the children learning and playing and on Sabbath they listen in the beloved church to their pastor... It is impossible for any thoughtful man to visit the Poonindie Institution without being deeply interested... It is an immense step in one generation - from the ignorant savage life to the order and discipline pervading this little self-supporting settlement.
19 February 1876, page 18d,
15 October 1877, page 6b,
24 December 1877, page 5a and
12, 19 January and 16 February 1878, pages 10a, 5f and 20c, Register,
11 February 1878, page 6c-d,
16 March 1880 (supp.), page 1a,
21 April 1883 (supp.), page 2d,
4 November 1884, page 6h,
6 April 1886, page 7a,
9 May 1893, page 5a,
24 April 1895, page 4g,
4 May 1895, page 6f,
5 June 1895, page 6h.
"The Surrender of Poonindie" is in the Observer,
25 May 1895, page 32a; also see
13 May 1911, page 42.
A photograph is in the Observer,
26 March 1904, page 23.
A history of the mission is in Mortlock Library Research Note No. 856 and
5 January 1915, page 6h.
"The Story of the Old Church" is reported on
19 and 25 August 1922, pages 4h and 9g,
"A Noble Effort and an Ignoble End" on
22 August 1924, page 13f,
"Why it was Abandoned" on
1 and 29 September 1924, pages 9d and 9h.
"A Noble Effort and Ignoble End" is in the Observer,
30 August 1924, page 47a,
13 September 1924, page 16a.
The golden wedding of Mr & Mrs F.J. Provis is reported in the Register,
4 October 1901, page 7g.
An obituary of Mrs M.H. Berryman is in the Register,
30 October 1913, page 8a.
An obituary of John D. Bruce is in the Observer, 17 April 1920, page 20a,
of William Cooper on 4 February 1922, page 34a,
of Mrs Louisa Solomon on 5 April 1924, page 45e,
of Mrs Helen McFayden on 4 February 1928, page 49a.
It is an Aboriginal word, meaning 'dry creek'. By a special land order dated 24 July 1840, Sir Montague L. Chapman, through his agent, Captain Bagot, purchased 2 200 acres of land which straddled both sides of Dry Creek. He subdivided it into 53 various size allotments which were collectively known as 'Montague Farms' and later 'Montague Village'.
The name was first applied to a subdivision by William A. Tough in 1952 when he cut up sections 548-50, Hundred of Yatala.
An obituary of John A. Watson is in the Register, 23 May 1925, page 11c.
PortacoonaAn obituary of W.D. Taylor, a manager of this pastoral property, is in the Observer,
11 November 1916, page 34c.
PortbridgeThe Register of 25 March 1859 at page 2h talks of the sale of allotments in the immediate vicinity of the new bridge having been eagerly sought after "in a new township named "Port Bridge".
PorteeIt is described in the Register, 11 April 1887, page 6a.
- Messrs Rogers and Company have something to contend with in rabbits and as fast as they are cleared from the frontages so they come in from the bank. The opposite side, Portee, although not so bad is not by any means free of the pest.... The reaches after leaving Swan Reach are very picturesque, especially where the water backs up to Portee Creek...
19 December 1908, page 9c,
Observer, 26 December 1908, page 38d.
Porter LagoonNear Burra. A fatal boat accident is reported in the Express,
7, 9 and 10 October 1876, pages 2e, 2d and 2g.
A photograph of an aquatic event is in the Chronicle,
26 February 1927, page 39,
25 February 1928, page 42.
- It is with the deepest feeling of sorrow and regret that I have to refer to the death by drowning of two of our respected residents; I refer to Messrs W.E. Lunn, storekeeper and Charles Fuller, manager for Messrs Hill & Co. mail contractors [during] a day's shooting on Porter's Lagoon, near Farrell's Flat...
Porter Hill & Reserve
James W. Porter (1850-1918), who farmed his property 'Glenbrook' in the near vicinity.
A photograph of the unveiling of a memorial in commemoration of Mr Porter is in the Chronicle,
5 September 1935, page 45.
A subdivision of section 1130, Hundred of Port Adelaide; now included in Port Adelaide. Philip Levi and Alfred Watts created it circa 1852, so naming it because it was laid out on 'Port Adelaide Land'.
The Register of 30 June 1857, page 2f says:
[It is] better known by its designation "the swamp"; at high tide it was formerly covered with water, but a mud embankment, built at the instance of Messrs Levi and Watts, the original proprietors of the ground, now prevents the encroachment of the tide.
(Also see Register,
24 June 1858, page 2f,
18 May1859, page 3h.)
Between the Portland Estate and Port Road large pools of water remain, emitting the most offensive smells, thereby causing sickness in the district and proving a great nuisance to the passengers on the Port Road.
9 June 1866, page 7f and
15 January 1867, page 2f where a resident tells of the solution to the problem.
- It is pleasing to notice the great improvements that have been made to this district by the filling up of the stagnant ditches which hitherto separated it from the Port Road.... The greatest benefit resulting from this work is the removal of the effluvia which in hot weather arose from these ditches... The ditches extended for about half a mile in length and have been filled up with sand conveyed from the sandhills at the Old Port and covered with silt raised by the dredges in the river. A tramway, more than a mile in length, was laid down for the purpose of conveying the sand...
18 November 1863, page 3d.
"The Portland Flood" of 1859 is reported in the Observer,
21 May 1859, page 4d and
reminisced upon in the Advertiser,
29 October 1929, page 22g.
Its school opened in 1864 and closed in 1885.
22 December 1866, page 1h (supp.).
Examinations are reported in the Register,
31 December 1866, page 2h.
The laying of the foundation stone of the Bible Christian Chapel is reported in the Observer,
7 November 1868, page 16a.
In 1871 land titles to allotments were alleged to be defective because of mistakes in the Survey Office; see Register,
11, 14, 15, 16, 23, 30 August, pages 4e, 6b, 5a-6f, 5e, 4e, 5b;
1, 2, 11, 14 September, pages 6f, 6e, 5d, 4f; also see
28 October and 11 November 1875, pages 4f and 7b.
"Main Road or Footpath" is in the Observer,
30 October 1875, page 7d.
The laying of the foundation stone of a Rechabite Hall is reported in the Register,
17 January 1881, page 4g.
An obituary of William Williams is in the Register,
11, 15 and 17 August 1896, pages 5d, 5c and 5b,
of Mrs Catherine Bampton on 1 June 1912, page 15c.
The danger of high tides to the settlement is reported in the Register,
7 March 1892, page 7b; also see
13 June 1895, page 7d,
13 May 1898, page 5a,
27 February 1899, page 4h,
6 May 1899, page 7a,
8 June 1899, page 6e,
21 July 1899, page 5a,
18 June 1901, page 6b.
The opening of a children's playground is reported in the Advertiser,
3 September 1928, page 15h.
Also see Adelaide - Entertainment and the Arts - Miscellany - Playgrounds.
A name applied to Klemzig during the Boer War.
A photograph of Lt Powell is in The Critic,
24 February 1900, page 20.
A letter from Lt-Colonel Reay in respect of Lt Powell is reproduced in the Register,
20 June 1911, page 9f.
- Poor Powell. One of the quietest, most useful and most popular men in the Australian Regiment. A few branches had been placed upon him but that was the only attempt at sepulture. Near him lay an envelope addressed to himself - a trifle which the Boers had discarded when they robbed the dead. And just at his head was the little bulwark of stone which he had erected and behind which he had found cover until that fatal moment when, a white flag being reported, he rose to ascertain what it meant and was immediately killed by a Boer bullet...
Poynton, Hundred of
Alexander Poynton, MP (1893-1901). Born in Castlemaine, Victoria in 1863 he filled several important positions in connection with the Labour movement and was a member of the short-lived Solomon Government.
Also see South Australia - Politics.
Information on Mr Poynton is in the Weekly Herald,
18 July 1901.
An interview with him is reported in The Mail,
25 November 1922, page 2d; also see
31 July 1896,
1 December 1930, page 6e;
an obituary is in the Advertiser,
10 January 1935, page 9h.
PrairieThe Register of 22 December 1849, page 2e talks of Mr A. Hoad of the Prairie giving land for the erection of a church at Bethel on the Western Sources of the Torrens.
A railway station in the Hundred of Mobilong north-west of Murray Bridge probably took its name from a mine of the same name on section 13, Hundred of Monarto which was opened in 1854; Portuguese for 'prize mine'. A letter written by a local resident, Robert S. Macdonald, in 1918 confirmed this derivation:
- The name is not even a native name but is a word from a European language and signifies "first'' or "prize mine''.
The discovery of a "new quartz reef" is reported in the Register,
19 March 1866, page 3b.
- Messrs Price and Faulkner, the discoverers of the new quartz reef at Preamimma, started from [Nairne] to work their claim... They have sold the greater part of their interest in the claim to a wealthy company in Adelaide for £1,200... I may mention that the discoverers have lodged their claim to the £5.000 offered by the Government for the discovery of a gold field.
A bushfire is described in the Register,
24 December 1867, page 2h and
the district on
17 June 1910, page 3a.
Also see South Australia - Natural Disasters - Bushfires.
PrecolumbThe opening of the school is reported in the Register,
4 February 1855, page 3b; also see
10 February 1855, page 5g.
School examinations are reported in the Observer,
14 July 1855, page 3g,
25 June 1856, page 3h; also see
13 December 1856, page 4h,
8 June 1871, page 7c,
2 December 1871, page 7b.
The Register of 13 March 1863, page 3h carries a report on services in commemoration of the erection of the chapel and school.
- Services in commemoration of the erection of the chapel and school at Precolumb were celebrated... Besides the numerous maps of the school, through the kindness of Mr Gaylard, the walls of the building were decorated with seed -burdened sorghum tastefully arranged...
7 January 1905, page 1b (supp.).
PrestonInformation on the school at this place in the Balaklava district is in the Chronicle,
16 August 1884, page 22f,
23 February 1895.
- A deputation from Saints station situate on the line of railway from Balaklava to Port Wakefield... waited on the Minister of Education... in reference to the insufficient school accommodation at Preston. It was pointed out that there were more than 35 children on the roll... The schoolhouse was built to accommodate 24 children, and the teacher and his wife and four children were living in two rooms adjoining the school...
26 February 1898, page 11b.
Also see South Australia - Sport - Cricket - Miscellany.
A town 18 km NNE of Ardrossan named by Governor Jervois and proclaimed on 3 August 1882. Florence Annie Price, who married the Governor's son.
Price Island and the Hundred of Price were named after Thomas Price, MP (1893-1909) and Premier (1905-1909).
Its school opened in 1885; see Register,
10 June 1885, page 7d.
A sports day is reported in the Chronicle,
2 January 1892, page 9a,
a horse race meeting on
16 February 1895, page 21e (See South Australia - Sport - Horse Racing) and
a cricket match against Ardrossan on
6 July 1895, page 12g. Also see South Australia - Sport - Cricket - Miscellany.
- On December 25 1892 a large concourse of visitors witnessed the various sports which were energetically carried out. The following was the programme of events:
Maiden race, 100 yards - Pavy, 1; Lennard, 2.
Sheffield Handicap - Grigg, 1; E. Bowman 2; Wilson, 3; W. Bowman, 4
Tilting - O'Grady, 1; Maloney and Patterson (tie) divided stakes for 2 and 3.
Putting the Shot - Fennisey, 1; J. Phelps, 2; O'Grady, 3.
Stockman's race - one mile, dismounting at each furlong post, off saddle to ground, replacing same and remounting - Maloney's Invincible, 1; Davies' Neddy, 2...
7 March 1895, page 4d; also see
2, 18, 22, 25 and 31 May 1895, pages 4e-5b, 5a, 5b, 4h and 5b,
1 and 19 June 1895, pages 5b and 4g,
15 August 1895, page 4e.
Information on Mr Price is in the Weekly Herald,
30 November 1894, page 3d,
22 April 1899, page 11;
his reminiscences are in the Express,
20 January 1905, page 1c.
"Mr Price's Early Days" is in the Advertiser,
10 May 1906, page 6g,
a family portrait in the Observer,
22 February 1908, page 32,
"The Stone Cutter who Became Premier" is in the Register,
16 January 1908, page 5e and
his obituary on
1 June 1909, pages 6c-7a.
Information on Mr Price is in the Weekly Herald,
30 November 1894, page 3d,
22 April 1899, page 11;
A political cartoon is in The Critic,
12 August 1899, page 4.
"The Premier as a Songster - Reminiscences of Early Days" is in the Register,
20 March 1906, page 5b.
A satirical poem on Mr Price is in the Register,
12 July 1907, page 8d.
A family portrait is in the Observer,
22 February 1908, page 32
"A New Shipping Place" at Point Price on Eyre Peninsula is discussed in the Chronicle,
19 June 1909, page 31 and
information on a proposed jetty on
23 August 1913, page 13a,
6 September 1913, page 45e,
25 April 1914, page 17b.
"Port Price Tramway" is in the Register,
14 December 1910, page 5g,
8 November 1911, page 11e.
The naming of Price Island in the Whidbey Group is reported in the Register,
19 February 1908, page 4g.
The Hundred is described in the Advertiser,
27 April 1910, page 12g.
- Price was allotted four years ago and the highest valuation was 8 shillings per acre for a block joining the railway station while the average ran from 3 shillings to 6 shillings, according to position. These values have never since been considered too low. About 20,000 acres in the extension of the hundred from four to eight miles south of the railway is now gazetted open for application. Residents, however are amazed at the exceptionally high valuation put on the land which is absolutely out of all proportion to the present or prospective value of the Hundred of Price...
26 February 1919, page 6c.
Also see South Australia - Industries - Rural, Primary and Secondary - Miscellany.
An obituary of James Birkin is in the Register,
28 November 1919, page 6g.
The town 8 km south-west of Dublin was proclaimed on 15 April 1880. Joel Prime, a district pioneer.
An obituary of Mr Prime is in the Chronicle,
5 July 1913, page 43d.
Near Lake Eyre North, named by John McD. Stuart, after 'John Primrose of Adelaide', a brewer and distiller,
John Primrose's obituary is in the Register,
29 November 1876, page 4g; also see
1 December 1876, page 5a.
A prospectus for the Primrose Union Brewing and Malting Co Ltd is in the Advertiser,
14 April 1888, page 4.
Also see South Australia - Industries - Rural, Primary and Secondary - Brewing.
Prince AlfredAlso see South Australia - Mining - Gold.
The mine is described in the Chronicle,
3 July 1869, page 12f;
a special meeting of shareholders is reported on
18 June 1870, page 5g.
The need for a surveyed town at the mine is discussed in the Register,
5 November 1872, page 6d; also see
12 and 24 December 1872, pages 6b and 6c,
9 November 1872, page 4e,
28 December 1872, page 13e,
28 February 1874, page 5e,
7 and 14 March 1874, pages 7d and 18c,
4 April 1874, page 12e,
26 August 1899, page 29d.
- There appears to be some covert influence at work to interfere with the expressed desire of those interested in and who are gaining their livelihood by the mine. A memorial addressed to the Commissioner of Crown lands was forwarded to one of the members for the district praying that the township might be surveyed on the site upon which the buildings are now erected. This memorial appears to have been perfectly ignored, although signed by nearly 120 persons, such as teamsters, miners, woodcarters and others...
4 January 1873, page 7d.
Also see South Australia - Sport - Cricket - Miscellany.
Information on a school is in the Observer,
14 June 1873, page 11b,
26 July 1873, page 11g.
'The Princes Highway was named in honour of Edward (1894-1972) Prince of Wales (who toured Australia for three months in 1920) and was officially proclaimed in 1922. It was then defined as that portion of the main road from Adelaide to Melbourne which extended as far as the Victorian border, but in 1953 it became the name of the main highway from Adelaide to Sydney via Melbourne.
Also see South Australia - Transport - Roads.
A conference at Mount Gambier in respect of the highway is reported in the Register,
4 February 1922, page 11d; also see
1 August 1922, page 7d,
6 October 1924, page 11g,
25 April 1925, page 50.
A photograph of a sign post in Victoria Square is in the Observer,
18 October 1924, page 24.
- In South Australia since 1941, no geographical name has been officially acceptable in the possessive form - a good general rule but one that does affect the sense of some names previously applied. The removal of the apostrophe from the original name Prince's leaves it in the plural form, and from this some people have naturally but wrongly concluded that the Highway (of which the Coorong was and remains an important section) was named after the two princes who in 1881 travelled along the Coorong route by coach. It was originally intended to extend from Rockhampton to Perth, but over long stretches of the route the name was never used; it was not known at all in Queensland. 'The Prince of Wales briefly succeeded his father King George V in 1936 as Edward VIII, but on his abdication to marry Mrs Wallis Simpson he became the Duke of Windsor.
"Catering for Fast Motorists" is in the Advertiser,
20 December 1935, page 20h.
- There is little doubt that were the Prince's Highway bitumenised over the whole distance from the Victorian border to Adelaide, instead of half as at present, tourist would be attracted to South Australia... The Highways department which is responsible for the vast changes which have taken place has removed difficulties which made a trip to Melbourne or Mount Gambier almost an adventure...
Princess TownThe Chronicle of 9 September 1882, page 8d has information on this place "about two miles from Kooringa."
- Horace E. West said he was out riding on Saturday afternoon when he was met by Miss McBride. She told him a little boy [Frederick Beck] had fallen into a dam at Princess Town. He hurried to the spot... [and] saw the deceased's head above the water, went out on a plank and drew the body out and laid it on the bank of the dam. He then rode to Kooringa for the doctor and the police...
PrincetownThe Advertiser of 29 November 1871, page 4a reports on school examinations at this place in the Inman Valley.
- The examination of scholars attending Mr Yates 'Public Day School, Prince Town, Inman Valley, was held... The children numbering 41 were examined in the usual branches of an English education... Songs, rounds and recitations were given at intervals...
In 1872 William Luffman sold one acre of that section to George T. Griggs (1842-1919), who built a 'pug' house which forms the nucleus of the present range of buildings. A store and post office were opened in the building in 1874. In the 1960s it became a local museum, some of which was destroyed by fire on 'Ash Wednesday' in 1983. An early resident, Miss Cross, after seeing the walls of a new church rising, the opening of Mr Grigg's store and the commencement of a transport service to and from Adelaide suggested that 'better prospects were ahead' which may have some bearing on its nomenclature.
The laying of the foundation stone of St Clement's Church in Adelaide is reported in the Register,
28 July 1858, page 3g and
of the Wesleyan Church on
29 September 1873 - see
8 December 1873, page 5d for its opening and Place Names - Spring Grove for information on local churches.
The school in the Hundred of Kuitpo opened in 1876 and closed in 1963.
An Arbor Day at the Prospect Hill South School is reported in the Chronicle,
20 August 1904, page 16b.
- An Arbor Day was held at the State school... when the children planted several trees under the supervision of the teacher, Miss Holly. About 70 persons were present, but unfortunately it rained the whole afternoon and outdoor games were impossible...
The diamond wedding of Mr & Mrs John Harper is reported in the Register,
15 February 1909, page 6g.
An obituary of J.W. Harper is in the Observer,
18 September 1926, page 46d.
An obituary of John Creber is in the Register,
16 November 1915, page 4g,
of John W. Harper on 13 September 1926, page 6g.
An obituary of George T. Griggs is in the Observer,
9 September 1916, page 20c.
H.C. Talbot says:
It was so named from the beautiful prospect, situated on the Adelaide Plains and being separated from North Adelaide by the Parklands, beautifully timbered with gum trees, wattles, etc.
"From Scrub to Embryo City" is in the Register,
25 June 1924, page 11g,
"From Scrubland to Important Suburb" on 3 August 1928, page 13a.
A banquet in respect of "the benevolent principle demonstrated in Sunday-school education" at Prospect House is reported in the Observer, 6 January 1849, page 2a.
Information on its water supply is in the Express,
17 March 1865, page 2d.
- A meeting of the inhabitants of Prospect Village was held in the schoolroom... to consider the advisability of extending the waterworks to that locality. Mr N. Oldham occupied the chair... If government would furnish the three-inch pipes the villagers would do the rest of the work...
The first anniversary of the Wesleyan Sunday School is reported in the Register,
5 July 1865, page 2d.
The laying of the foundation stone of the Wesleyan Church is reported in the Register,
16 September 1874, page 5a; also see
9 August 1881, page 5a and
14 December 1881, page 5b.
A history of the Methodist Church appears on
24 April 1924, page 4; also see
16 May 1924, page 15f,
19 June 1928, page 8c.
The opening of the tramway is reported in the Register,
24 September 1883, page 6b.
Also see Adelaide - Transport - Tramways.
A football match against Medindie is reported in the Express,
10 July 1885, page 4b; also see
13 March 1886, page 3e,
26 February 1887, page 4c.
Also see South Australia - Sport - Football.
A report on the incidence of enteric fever in the district is in the Chronicle,
28 August 1888, page 6d.
Also see South Australia - Health - Fevers.
The suburb is described in the Advertiser,
24 March 1887, page 6.
"Prosperous Suburb of Prospect" is in The News,
26 July 1923, page 6d,
"Progressive Prospect" in the Register,
25 June 1924, page 11g,
"Town Planning in the Suburbs" on
13 January 1925, page 7g. Also see Adelaide - Social Matters and Town Planning
"From Scrubland to Important Suburb" is in the Register,
3 August 1928, page 13a.
In a report on the laying of the foundation stone of a district hall the Register of 1 April 1895, page 3f says, inter alia:
There is indeed a fine prospect from that healthy suburb... on the one hand the broad stretch of plain bordered by the blue and ever-changing sea, on the other the wealth of garden areas, valley and wooded hill...
(Also see Register, 5 August 1895, page 6f.)
24 August 1897, page 3f,
4 July 1898, pages 4f-6e.
The laying of the foundation stone of the Masonic Temple is reported on
6 April 1914, page 11b (See South Australia - Miscellany - Freemasonry) and
of Saint Cuthbert's Church on
12 April 1915, page 4f.
"Electric Light for Prospect" is in the Register,
19 March 1900, page 4h.
Also see Adelaide - Lighting the City and Homes.
Information on cottage homes is in the Register,
31 October 1900, page 8b,
Chronicle, 3 November 1900, page 31a.
Also see Adelaide - Housing, Architecture and Ancillary Matters - Cottage Homes.
The silver wedding of Mr & Mrs C.A. Lock is reported in the Register,
22 June 1901, page 5a.
Biographical details of Robert Lewis are in the Register,
11 July 1902, page 5c.
A photograph of a Minda Fair is in the Observer,
13 May 1905, page 24,
of a cricket team in the Chronicle,
19 May 1906, page 28,
5 June 1913, page 8,
14 June 1913, page 29,
of an Australia Day celebration in the Chronicle,
29 September 1917, page 24,
12 October 1918, page 25.
Information on the North Road cemetery is in the Register,
17 and 20 July 1905, pages 4f and 4f.
Also see under Adelaide - Cemeteries, Burials and Morgue.
The inaugural meeting of the Prospect Democratic Association is reported in the Express,
2 February 1906, page 2b.
An obituary of William Wiltshire is in the Register, 17 June 1908, page 4h,
of Mrs Angas Johnson on 16 February 1909, page 4i,
of Percy L. Bird on 23 June 1909, page 7b,
of Job Prime on 30 June 1913, page 12g,
of Mrs Charlotte Checkett on 21 June 1913, page 17b.
"The Prospect Trams" is in the Register,
21 and 24 August 1908, pages 7d and 7d.
Also see Adelaide - Transport - Tramways.
Biographical details of William Short are in the Register,
18 October 1909, page 7b,
of Mrs M.A. Foote on 24 April 1913, page 6g,
24 April 1914, page 10b,
of Mrs J. Brock on 12 June 1917, page 4g.
The diamond wedding of Mr & Mrs D. Brown is reported in the Register,
27 April 1910, page 4g.
Information on the Institute is in the Register,
15 May 1911, page 4f.
"Prospect Pleases" is in the Register,
24 July 1911, page 10b.
The 90th birthday of Mrs M.A. Foote is reported upon in the Register,
25 April 1912, page 6g.
"Child Murdered by Her Father" is in the Express,
11 February 1913.
Photographs of the opening of a bowling green are in The Critic,
5 November 1913, page 15, 16 May 1917, page 4 (committee),
of the bowling club committee in the Observer,
20 October 1923, page 30,
18 October 1924, page 34,
of a bowls team on 9 April 1927, page 34.
Also see South Australia - Sport - Bowling.
Biographical details of John Wilsdon are in the Register,
29 May 1915, page 5d,
Observer, 5 June 1915, page 49a,
of Mrs William Carman in the Register,
12 August 1915, page 9c,
of James Lamb on 20 August 1915, page 10a.
The laying of the foundation stone of Saint Cuthbert's Church is reported in the Register,
12 April 1915, page 4f.
Biographical details of Mrs Hall are in the Register,
13 October 1915, page 6i,
Observer, 16 October 1915, page 22e,
of Richard Cochrane in the Register,
3 November 1915, page 6h.
The reminiscences of Benjamin Brookman are in the Register,
1 November 1915, page 9e,
Observer, 6 November 1915, page 49a.
A patriotic carnival is reported in the Register,
20 November 1916, page 6e;
photographs are in the Observer,
25 November 1916, page 26,
22 November 1916, page 15.
Biographical details of Mrs Phoebe Hall are in the Register,
13 October 1916, page 4h,
Observer, 21 October 1916, page 34c,
of Mrs J.J. Fountain on 2 July 1919, page 6h,
of Hugh McCallum on 26 November 1919, page 6f.
Biographical details of Mrs John Jaggard and other children of Thomas and Eliza Burford are in the Register,
24 August 1917, page 4f.
"Australia Day at Prospect" is in the Register,
24 September 1917, page 6d.
The opening of a War Memorial Hall is reported in the Register,
23 August 1921, page 7f.
Also see South Australia - World War I - Memorials to the Fallen.
The unveiling of a memorial gun at Braund Road School is reported in the Register,19 August 1922, page 7g,
the town's 50th jubilee on 31 August 1922, page 4e,
"Fifty Years Old" is in the Express,
30 August 1922, page 4e.
A photograph of whippet racing is in the Observer,
23 December 1916, page 28.
Also see South Australia - Sport - Coursing.
Biographical details of Mrs J.J. Fountain are in the Observer,
5 July 1919, page 30d,
of Philip Oates on 1 August 1925, page 17c.
Historical information on Graham's Castle and Prospect House is in the Register,
15, 16, 20 and 26 March 1922, pages 8g, 4c, 9d and 9b.
Biographical details of Mrs E.W. Nicholls are in the Register,
29 May 1922, page 6h.
Information on the introduction of moving pictures into Prospect is in the Advertiser,
2 September 1922, page 12g and
on a new picture theatre The News,
19 April 1928, page 6f.
The opening of a picture theatre is reported in the Register,
11 June 1923, page 11h.
Also see South Australia - Entertainment and the Arts - Moving Pictures and Television.
"Prospect's New Oval" is in The Mail,
4 and 25 March 1922, pages 2f and 3f;
a trotting event on it is reported in the Register,
16 October 1922, page 5c.
Photographs are in the Observer,
1 April 1922, page 23.
"Trotting at Prospect" is in The News,
13 March 1925, page 9b;
Also see South Australia - Sport - Horse Racing.
Biographical details of James M. McDonald are in The Critic,
6 September 1922, page 5.
The 65th wedding anniversary of Mr & Mrs Joseph Vigar is reported in the Register,
13 March 1923, page 6g;
Joseph Vigar's obituary is in the Register,
29 August 1923, page 8h.
Biographical details of Miss Emily G. Nesbitt are in the Register,
21 April 1923, page 8g,
of Philip Oates on 22 July 1925, page 10d,
of Mrs Ada Devenish on 29 August 1925, page 3h,
of Robert Morgan on 5 September 1925, page 8i,
of Fritz Just on 4 March 1927, page 8h,
of William Mussared on 17 May 1927, page 12g,
of W.G. Randall on 13 August 1927, page 11c,
of Miss Margaret Hosking on 30 June 1928, page 11e.
The golden wedding of Mr & Mrs Thomas Hunter is reported in the Observer,
25 April 1923, page 32a,
the diamond wedding of Mr & Mrs W.H. Thomas on 15 January 1927, page 54c,
the golden wedding of Mr & Mrs Malcolm C. Scrymgour on 7 April 1928, page 34d.
"Town Planning in the Suburbs" is in the Register,
13 January 1925, page 7g.
Also see Adelaide - Social Matters and Town Planning.
A photograph of the opening of a new playground in the Chronicle,
27 February 1926, page 38,
Also see Adelaide Entertainment and the Arts - Miscellany - Playgrounds
of RSL members on 13 June 1935, page 35,
of members of St John Ambulance on 3 October 1935, page 38.
Also see Adelaide - St John's Ambulance
Information on the Prospect Homing Club is in THe News, 6 December 1926, page 8f.
Also see South Australia - Sport - Pigeon Racing and Shooting.
Photographs of a carnival are in the Observer,
1 April 1922, page 26.
The golden wedding of Mr & Mrs T.H. Davey is reported in the Observer,
10 and 17 March 1923, pages 9e and 29 (photo).
A Riverside School sports day is reported in the Register,
16 June 1927, page 12e.
Photographs are in the Observer,
16 June 1928, page 36.
A photograph of a Horses in Action committee is in the Register,
17 October 1927, page 10.
Information on a branch office of the Savings Bank of SA is in the Register,
25 October 1927, page 11h.
Biographical details of William Harris are in the Advertiser,
1 January 1937, page 8d.
Prospect - Obituaries
An obituary of James McLeod is in the Register, 21 January 1892, page 5a,
of Francis Opie on 26 June 1893, page 5b, ,
of Mrs Elizabeth Nicholls on 13 September 1893, page 5d, ,
of Mrs John Ween on 12 August 1895, page 4g, ,
of Alfred T. Gaskell in the Register, 7 March 1896, page 5c, Observer, 14 March 1896, page 15b,
of Mrs Mary Sanders in the Observer, 5 June 1897, page 29b,
of E.S. Edwards on 16 April 1898, page 47b, ,
of Mrs N.D. Bennett on 19 May 1906, page 38a, ,
of Joseph Jones, builder, on 28 July 1906, page 38a, ,
of William Milner on 15 June 1907, page 40d.
An obituary of Rev Richard Jones is in the Register, 27 June 1896, page 5c, ,
of Edward Burgess on 13 February 1897, page 5d, ,
of David Davies on 19 June 1897, page 4h, ,
of George Lambert on 16 August 1897, page 5a, ,
of Mrs Emma Russell on 3 November 1897, page 4h, ,
of W.H. Belcher on 21 January 1898, page 5a, ,
of E.S. Edwards on 11 April 1898, page 5b.
An obituary of David Davies is in the Observer, 26 June 1897, page 28d, ,
of Thomas Leeder on 25 January 1902, page 28c, ,
of J.H. Boykett on 9 July 1904, page 34e, ,
of Edward Hack on 1 October 1904, page 34b.
An obituary of Robert McEwin is in the Register, 20 November 1900, page 5a,,
of Mrs E.G. Blackmore on 8 October 1901, page 5c, ,
of Thomas Leeder on 21 January 1902, page 5c, ,
of Richard Hart on 3 February 1902, page 5a, ,
of John Dickson on 8 June 1904, page 4h, ,
of J.H. Boykett on 7 July 1904, page 4i, ,
of Edward Hack on 28 September 1904, page 4h.
An obituary of William Burrage is in the Register, 11 July 1905, page 4i ,,
of Charles Chapple on 6 January 1906, page 5a, ,
of Joseph Jones on 24 July 1906, page 4h, ,
of Joseph Nicholson on 22 April 1907, page 5a, ,
of William Milner on 11 June 1907, page 5b, ,
of David Liston on 4 December 1907, page 7a.
An obituary of W.G. Brookman is in the Register, 6 January 1910, page 5f, ,
of W.H. Trevorrow on 31 January 1910, page 6h, ,
of F.W. Bullock on 10 September 1910, page 12h, ,
of Charles K. Baldwinson on 28 November 1911, page 7a.
An obituary of Edward Turner is in the Observer, 30 March 1912, page 39b, ,
of Mrs J.E. Middleton on 8 June 1912, page 41b, ,
of Samuel Braund on 7 December 1912, page 41a, ,
of Frederick Pritchard on 20 December 1913, page 41a, ,
of Alfred G. Chapman on 7 February 1914, page 41a, ,
of Robert Cooper on 13 February 1915, page 40b, ,
of George Earle on 29 July 1916, page 19e, ,
of C.A. Lock on 18 November 1916, page 34c, ,
of George Sloman on 30 December 1916, page 34e.
An obituary of John Sanders is in the Register, 21 March 1912, page 6g, ,
of Samuel Braund on 3 December 1912, page 6g, ,
of William Dearman on 16 December 1912, page 6i, ,
of Frederick Pritchard on 15 December 1913, page 8a, ,
of H.L.J. Willis on 1 January 1914, page 6a, ,
of A.G. Chapman on 2 February 1914, page 8a, ,
of Mrs Ann Jenkins on 9 February 1914, page 8a, ,
of John C. Murdoch on 12 October 1914, page 4f.
An obituary of Mrs D.S. Underdown is in the Register, 7 May 1915, page 6h, ,
of J.H. White on 26 June 1916, page 4h,,
of Mrs George Earle on 24 July 1916, page 5a, ,
of Pastor E. Dorsch on 30 September 1916, page 8g, ,
of George Halsey on 7 October 1916, page 8h,,
of C.A. Lock on 11 November 1916, page 6i, ,
of George Sloman on 26 December 1916, page 6i, ,
of C.W. Tucker on 14 May 1917, page 6f, ,
of Mrs Catherine Angwin on 31 May 1917, page 4g, ,
of Edward J. Cummins on 2 June 1917, page 6i, ,
of Henry Wreford on 23 November 1917, page 4g.
An obituary of Mrs Catherine Spencer is in the Observer, 27 January 1917, page 22a, ,
of Mrs Ann A. Moore on 17 February 1917, page 32d, ,
of Mrs William Carman on 26 May 1917, page 33b, ,
of E.J. Cummins on 9 June 1917, page 33b, ,
of Benjamin Brookman on 16 June 1917, page 33d, ,
of Henry Wreford on 1 December 1917, page 30a, ,
of Mrs Mary A. Halsey on 16 March 1918, page 33c, ,
of Mrs Fanny Argent on 4 May 1918, page 18c,,
of Andrew McCormac on 17 August 1918, page 19c, ,
of William Thompson on 29 March 1919, page 40e.
An obituary of Mrs Mary A. Halsey is in the Register, 8 March 1918, page 8g, ,
of Mrs Fanny Argent on 27 April 1918, page 6i, ,
of Andrew MacCormac on 14 August 1918, page 6h, ,
of J.H. Bottrall on 3 September 1918, page 4g, ,
of Mrs A.G. Leeder on 25 September 1918, page 6g, ,
of Mrs Edwin Chase on 4 March 1919, page 4h, ,
of Robert Shepherd on 24 April 1919, page 6h,,
of Richard Angwin on 18 October 1919, page 6i, ,
of Mrs Sophie I. De Reyher on 24 November 1919, page 6h.
An obituary of Francis J. Lewis is in the Observer, 2 October 1920, page 31a, ,
of W.H. Tink on 29 October 1921, page 34b,,
of Amos Penfold on 30 December 1922, page 37d, ,
of John LeCornu on 28 July 1923, page 35c, ,
of Joseph Vigar on 1 September 1923, page 39b.
An obituary of Mrs Grace H. Pope is in the Register, 3 February 1920, page 7b, ,
of Thomas T. Brown on 23 April 1920, page 7b,,
of James Lewis on 25 September 1920, page 7a, ,
of Phillip A. Howells on 25 August 1921, page 8b, ,
of W.H. Tink on 24 October 1921, page 6g,,
of Robert Cheek on 16 December 1922, page 6i, ,
of Amos Penfold on 22 December 1922, page 8h, ,
of Stephen Sharley on 1 January 1923, page 6f, ,
of John LeCornu on 24 July 1923, page 9b, ,
of Patrick Dollard on 2 November 1923, page 8g.
An obituary of H.J. Bullock is in the Observer, 23 February 1924, page 45d, ,
of George Hart on 5 April 1924, page 45c-e, ,
of George Parrott on 7 June 1924, page 29a, ,
of Joel Badman on 2 August 1924, page 38c. ,
of Thomas Hunter on 11 July 1925, page 11a, ,
of Frederick Cox on 14 November 1925, page 45c, ,
of Henry Hele on 26 December 1925, page 38a, ,
of D.F. Brazel on 12 June 1926, page 44b, ,
of B.L. Wilkinson on 8 October 1927, page 49d, ,
of H.C.F. Just on 2 June 1928, page 45c, ,
of Robert David, builder and contractor, on 30 June 1928, page 45d, ,
of Mrs Harriet Rix on 11 August 1928, page 44c,,
of John Wise on 25 August 1928, page 49a, ,
of Priestly Hellam on 29 December 1928, page 49b.
An obituary of Harold J. Bullock is in the Register, 16 February 1924, page 8g, ,
of Bruce O. Thomas on 18 February 1924, page 6h,,
of Flora M. Sinclair on 26 February 1924, page 8g, ,
of George Hart on 27 and 29 March 1924, pages 6i and 8i, ,
of Joel Badman on 28 July 1924, page 6h, ,
of Miss Emily G. Nesbitt on 13 August 1924, page 13h, ,
of John R. Chapman on 13 August 1924, page 13h.
An obituary of John Barker is in the Register, 22 and 23 May 1925, pages 8c-9d and 8h, ,
of A.E. Barker on 27 June 1925, page 5c,,
of Thomas Hunter on 6 July 1925, page 8g, ,
of J.P. Wilson on 8 July 1925, page 8g, ,
of L.W. Bakewell on 3 August 1925, page 6h,,
of Mrs Julius Both on 19 August 1925, page 11h, ,
of F. Cox on 10 November 1925, page 8h, ,
of Arthur Lipson on 12 February 1926, page 8h.
An obituary of Robert Morgan is in the Register, 27 February 1926, page 8h, ,
of S.H.A. Bird on 13 May 1926, page 8h, ,
of D.F. Brazel on 4 June 1926, page 11f, ,
of Henry Adams on 8 June 1926, page 8g, ,
of L.C.W. Wilcken on 11 June 1926, page 10c,,
of Albert Bussenchutt on 15 June 1926, page 8f, ,
of John Veale on 15 October 1926, page 10a, ,
of Frederick Vawser on 10 December 1926, page 10d.
An obituary of Mrs Charlotte A. Boykett is in the Register, 15 January 1927, page 13c, ,
of William R. Bradshaw on 30 April 1927, page 20a, ,
of William M.S. Kekwick on 2 August 1927, page 12c, ,
of Mrs Margaret F. Clark on 4 August 1927, page 8h, ,
of Thomas Ward on 10 September 1927, page 8h, ,
of Daniel B. Haggerty on 24 September 1927, page 16c, ,
of Benjamin L. Wilkinson on 3 October 1927, page 8g, ,
of Mrs Amelia M. Gillen on 18 and 21 November 1927, pages 8g and 12b.
An obituary of Mrs Susanna M. Wise is in the Register, 2 April 1928, page 15f, ,
of Robert Dawe on 27 June 1928, page 11e, ,
of Mrs Harriet A. Rix on 9 August 1928, page 11c, ,
of John Wise on 18 August 1928, page 15b,,
of Paul Fisher on 3 September 1928, page 8g, ,
of Benjamin Clarke on 10 October 1928, page 12c, ,
of Timothy E. Murphy on 7 November 1928, page 12b.