Place Names of South Australia - R
Revesby Island - Riverton
- Reevesby Island
- Reynolds, Hundred of
- Rhine Valley
- Rhine Villa
- Rice Creek
- Richman Creek
- Rickaby, Port
- Riddoch, Hundred of
- Ridge Park
- Riggs Dams
- Ripon, Hundred of
- Risdon Park
- Ritchie, Hundred of
- River Glen
- River View
In the Sir Joseph Banks Group, named by Matthew Flinders on 6 March 1802; corrupted from 'Revesby', a village in Lincolnshire which derives from an Old Danish word raef, originally the nickname for a fox. Guano was mined on the island by William F. Haigh who formed the 'Penguin Guano Co.' in 1898.
A photograph of "the only tenement" on the island is in the Observer,
16 February 1907, page 30.
John Reynell, who laid out the town in 1854 twenty km south of Adelaide, was the pioneer vigneron in South Australia.
A letter from John Reynell containing suggestions in respect of wheat farming is in the Register,
4 June 1842, page 3b.
The opening of the Southern Grist Mill is reported in the Register,
9 October 1854, page 2h (see South Australia - Industries - Rural, Primary and Secondary - Farming - Mills) and
the Wesleyan Chapel on
14 July 1857, page 3c.
- Friday, the 29th ult. was a gala day at the township of Reynella on the occasion of the starting of the engine of the mill, now completed... Mr Harwood from Adelaide, as also the engineers from the Messrs Crawford & Co and Horseshoe Mills were present... The contract for fixing the machinery was performed by Mr W. Edwards, assisted by Mr Gardiner, formerly of the Thebarton steam mill...
29 October 1855, page 3e.
The opening of a Wesleyan Chapel is reported in the Register,
14 July 1857, page 3c.
Education Department records show its school opening in 1861.
However, the Register of 7 May 1858, page 3e reports the opening of a school in the village.
John Reynell's vineyard is described in the Advertiser,
20 May 1862, page 2e; also see
11 April 1894, page 6c,
11 March 1898, page 6a,
6 April 1907, page 8a,
17 March 1908, page 9d,
29 March 1909, page 10e,
19 December 1927, page 8f.
Photographs are in the Observer,
28 June 1924, page 32,
29 November 1934, page 34.
Also see South Australia - Industries - Rural, Primary and Secondary - Viticulture.
A pruning match is reported in the Observer,
15 July 1893, page 7a,
Register, 8 July 1895, page 3h,
A vine pruning competition is reported in the Register,
8 July 1895, page 3h and
district vineyards described on
14 April 1898, page 6f.
A vintage picnic is reported on
17 May 1913, page 6f.
"Southern Vineyards" is in the Register,
19 March 1914, page 10a.
Photographs of vine pruning are in the Observer,
28 July 1923, page 29,
of grape picking in the Chronicle,
27 June 1925, page 37.
The opening of Hallett's Bridge near Reynella is reported in the Chronicle,
28 September 1867, page 5c.
A fatal boiler explosion at Poole's mill is reported in the Register,
11 December 1869, page 2e.
Also see South Australia - Industries - Rural, Primary and Secondary - Farming - Mills.
An obituary of Bannister Booth is in the Register,
28 September 1883, page 5b,
of Samuel Reynell on 5 January 1892, page 5a.
A coursing event is reported in the Observer,
25 July 1896, page 20b.
Also see South Australia - Sport - Coursing.
Thomas Hardy's reminiscences of life on Reynell's vineyard are in the Register,
1 April 1899, page 5a.
The town is described on
15 March 1913, page 8b.
Photographs are in the Chronicle,
20 June 1914, page 30.
An Arbor Day is reported in the Observer,
5 August 1899, page 45e,
14 July 1900, page 15c,
18 July 1914, page 12b.
Also see South Australia - Education - Arbor Days.
Biographical details of Walter R. Reynell, Rhodes Scholar, are in the Register,
2 March 1906, page 3b.
The Methodist Church jubilee is reported upon in the Observer,
6 April 1907, page 14c.
A photograph of cricket club members is in the Observer,
8 April 1911, page 32.
Also see South Australia - Sport - Cricket - Miscellany.
A vintage picnic is reported in the Chronicle,
11 May 1912, page 43b.
Photographs of the town are in the Chronicle,
20 June 1914, page 30.
A recreation ground is discussed in the Observer,
18 July 1914, page 19a,
22 August 1914, page 19d.
Biographical details of Carew Reynell are in the Register,
19 December 1914, page 14h and
an obituary of Major Carew Reynell in the Observer,
11 September 1915, page 41a.
Biographical details of Mrs H.E. Turner are in the Register,
11 November 1921, page 8d,
of A.C. Pocock on 1 November 1926, page 13c,
of A.W. Graves on 25 January 1928, page 16c.
"Tragedy Near Reynella" is in the Chronicle,
1 October 1927, page 52b.
Reynella - Obituaries
An obituary of William Chittleborough is in the Register,
28 December 1911, page 6f,
of Michael J. Kenihan on 13 September 1913, page 14a,
of Martin Cain on 29 May 1916, page 4g.
An obituary of M.J. Kenihan is in the Observer,
20 September 1913, page 39a,
of Walter Reynell on 12 April 1919, page 14c,
of Mrs Mary A. Turner on 15 January 1927, page 44c.
Reynolds, Hundred of
Thomas Reynolds, MP (1857-1873).
Also see South Australia - Politics.
A letter from Thomas Reynolds on "Teetotalism" is in the Register,
6 May 1855, page 3e;
also see 10 February 1855, page 3a.
A dinner in his honour is reported in the Register,
6 October 1855, page 2e.
- In your poetic effusion... you were pleased to designate "teetotalism" a "delusion" and you presumed on its being such, because you heard a lady remark that she would be afraid to say to the Divine Being "Take back the vine". To charge teetotalism with delusion and impiety... appears to me as absurd and monstrous... Your proof and argument I can respect but your assertions and assumptions I can and do despise. Prove then your charges or lie under the stigma of uttering a deliberate libel or of being yourself the subject of a "delusion" more apparent that the one you attribute to "teetotalism".
12, 14 and 21 September 1861, pages 2e, 2c and 2d.
The Register of 13 February 1862, page 2f carries a report of a libel case - he lost and was forced to resign as Treasurer of the Colony.
"The City Election" is in the Register, 5 May 1862, page 2f:
He was born under a stormy constellation, and inactivity would be political death to him. Let us hope he will be wise as he is earnest, provident as he is bold, and he may yet serve the interests of the colony and his own.
30 July 1862, page 2d.
An editorial headed "Mr Reynolds and His Friends" is in the Register,
25 February 1865, page 2f; also see
25 February 1865, pages 3c-4c,
13 February 1867, page 2a.
"Reynolds Rebukes Dutton" is in the Register,
23 June 1865, page 2c.
"Political Pugilism at the Hotel Europe" is in the Register,
27 January 1868, page 2d.
Under the heading "Chaos in East Adelaide" the Register of 3 April 1868 at page 2c says:
... East Adelaide has made repeated attempts to explain to Mr Reynolds the altered state of her affections... she called him out a few weeks ago for a special parade... when he and his disaffected constituents abandoned the affairs of State for a little game of dirt-pies. Two mortal hours were spent in turning up old sores and smearing each other's faces with the bad blood drawn from each other's noses... To exchange Reynolds for Cottrell - a financier for an "old hat" - would be an unquestionable mortification of the flesh... they have looked out for an Issaachan to represent them - "a strong ass crouching down between two burdens...". If the lost tribes be serious in their opposition to him they are making a mistake, for he is a hopeful proselyte, but an ugly antagonist...
Here is a woeful effect of the adjournment. Mr Reynolds... has resumed his pen as a newspaper correspondent... he still calls a spade a spade and considers the whole human race to be out of temper with himself... He needs the inspiration of figures to raise him to the height of genius.
(Also see Register, 16 October 1868, page 2c.)
26 July 1873, page 10g; also see
30 August 1873, page 3b,
27 September 1873, page 8c,
6 October 1873, page 3b,
3 october 1874, page 2b.
An obituary is in the Observer,
13 March 1875, page 11a; also see
18 January 1902, page 2c.
Information on a proposed school is in the Register,
3 April 1886, page 5d.
It opened in 1915 and became "Mayfield" in 1915.
A post office opened on the property of C.F. Starick on 21 December 1914 between 'Black Hill' and 'Rhine Villa' (now Cambrai); renamed 'Parlko' in May 1916 and 'Kongolia' on 1 July 1918; it closed on 2 January 1980.
An obituary of John Murray is in the Register,
6 July 1908, page 4h,
11 July 1908, page 40b,
of Mrs Mary Murray in the Register,
14 September 1926, page 8h.
Rhine Valley"Silver Mining in the Rhine Hills" is in the Advertiser,
18 May 1888, page 6e.
Also see South Australia - Mining - Coal.
Rhine VillaIts school opened in 1888 and became Cambrai in 1918.
The opening of the Institute is reported in the Register,
19 February 1892, page 6e; also see
14 September 1912, page 52b.
- On February 16th the Attorney-General (Hon R. Homburg) and Messrs F.W. Holder and T. Hack, MP's, drove from the city to Rhine Villa... where they assisted in the ceremony of opening the Rhine Villa Institute which had been erected at a cost of about £400 without any subsidy from the government... [It] is about 20 feet by 50 feet and is a good lofty hall... It is intended to hold a school in the Institute there being no other building in the locality adapted for the purpose. It will contain a library, accommodate public meetings and religious services will be held within its walls on Sundays...
7 April 1900, page 4e.
Also see South Australia - Sport - Tennis.
Gaelic for 'running water'. The village 6 km west of Riverton was laid out in 1859 on section 565, Hundred of Alma by Robert Milne (c.1813-1866), of 'Drumminer' (sic), who came from Aberdeenshire, Scotland where there is a 'Rhynie' near Balmoral Castle. Prior to 1859 it was known as 'Baker's Springs'. (Australia Post records show the Rhynie Post Office opening in 1851.)
The village is described in the Register,
22 March 1860, page 3c,
1 April 1863, page 2g,
30 October 1875, page 6g,
10 November 1903, page 6c,
2 April 1904, page 39d.
- There have been erected within the last few months three substantial buildings, one a public house, one a store and the other intended for a store also... It is reported... that Mr Stevens will have a mill erected in it ere long... There is at present a first-rate opening for a boot and shoemaker, a blacksmith and a carpenter; one of each would find ample work. Our present butcher is about suspending business and leaves a very good opening for another...
25 July 1860, page 3f; also see
23 August 1861, page 3d,
7 September 1872, page 5f.
Also see South Australia - Industries - Rural, Primary and Secondary - Ploughing Matches.
Information on the day school is in theRegister,
11 July 1862, page 3g,
23 August 1862, page 2h;
it closed in 1966.
Information on the school is in the Register,
24 October 1863, page 3f,
26 November 1864, page 4g,
18 February 1865, page 4d,
15 April 1865, page 2g,
12 August 1865, page 2g,
2 September 1865, page 1f (supp.)
5 January 1878, page 13g.
Examinations at St Joseph's school are reported in The Irish Harp,
10 October 1873, page 6a and a picnic on
20 February 1874, page 5d,
15 October 1875, page 5c.
A description of Messrs Nickolls' farm is in the Register,
8 April 1863, page 3f: "A copper mine having rich indications was worked here by Messrs Nickolls Bros. in 1867" -
see Record of the Mines of South Australia (fourth edition), page 123.
Also see South Australia - Mining - Copper.
A proposed Wesleyan Chapel is discussed in the Register,
20 February 1865, page 3f;
for the laying of the foundation stone see Chronicle,
4 August 1866, page 2g.
Information on its water supply is in the Chronicle,
4 and 18 March 1865, pages 2g and 2c (supp.).
Also see South Australia - Water Conservation.
A proposed district council is discussed in the Chronicle,
11 March 1865, page 1f (supp.).
Also see South Australia - Miscellany - Local Government.
A proposed racing club is discussed in the Chronicle,
3 November 1866, page 2g.
A horse race meeting is reported in the Chronicle,
6 January 1866, page 3c,
4 january 1867, page 2d,
21 March 1867, page 3c,
4 January 1868, page 7f,
22 March 1873, page 6g.
Also see South Australia - Sport - Horse Racing.
The opening of St Paul's Church is reported in the Observer,
26 April 1873, page 5g.
A dinner given by the SA Benefit Society, Rhynie Branch is reported in The Irish Harp,
30 May 1873, page 3c.
A public picnic is reported in the Observer,
21 March 1874, page 5g,
a sports day on 8 January 1876, page 6a.
Fruit growing is discussed in the Advertiser,
23 January 1891, page 5e.
Also see South Australia - Industries - Rural, Primary and Secondary - Fruit and Vegetables.
"Tragedy at Rhynie" is in the Chronicle,
10 and 24 April 1920, pages 38a and 34a.
The golden wedding of Mr & Mrs D. Kirk is reported in the Register,
14 June 1911, page 6g.
Biographical details of Mrs Kemp are in the Register,
15 August 1917, page 6f,
of W.L. Blight on 17 March 1928, page 8h.
The diamond wedding of Mr & Mrs Benjamin Boothby is reported in the Register,
11 and 16 April 1921, pages 9e and 8c.
Rhynie - Obituaries
An obituary of H. March, district clerk, is in the Register,
12 April 1867, page 3d.
An obituary of Arthur Nickells in the Register,
2 June 1904, page 4h,
of Edward Guiney in the Observer, 17 November 1906, page 38d,
of John H. Curnow on 15 December 1906, page 34e,
of Arthur Bowden on 23 October 1915, page 46a,
of John Kemp on 13 December 1919, page 27d,
of Mrs James Kemp on 26 March 1921, page 34a.
An obituary of Mrs William Baker is in the Register,
21 May 1907, page 4g,
of Arthur Bowden on 18 October 1915, page 6h.
By a special survey, John Morphett claimed several thousand acres along the tributary of the Upper Wakefield River for Messrs Rice and Slaney.
A school Arbor Day is reported in the Chronicle,
14 August 1897, page 37a.
- Arbor Day in connection with the Rice's Creek School was celebrated on August 5. The parents assembled at the school in the afternoon when a variety of trees were planted by the children under the supervision of the teacher, Miss Brinkworth.... A programme of action songs, musical drill and recitations were creditably carried out by the children during the afternoon...
An obituary of James Jones is in the Observer,
1 April 1911, page 41a.
Henry John Richman, an early pastoralist of 1851.
The opening of the Bible Christian Church is reported in the Register,
8 January 1880, page 5b.
- On Christmas Day at Itali Itali, Richman's Creek, a large number of people gathered to celebrate the opening of the new church in connection with the Bible Christian denomination.. During the day quite 300 people attended the public dinner and tea and the meeting in the evening was crowded... It is a neat edifice the size being 30x28 with cement dressings and Gothic arches.
4 August 1902, page 5a,
9 August 1902, page 36a.
The name comes from London, where it is a suburb adjoining Twickenham which situation appertains in Adelaide.
An advertisement alluding to a village of Richmond is in the Register,
27 June 1840, page 2d and
of "South Richmond" in the Southern Australian,
19 November 1840, page 2d and
26 March 1841, page 2c.
"A Visit to Richmond" which was situated "within about a mile of the west parklands" and having once been owned "for so many years by the late John Chambers" is reported in the Chronicle,
18 October 1890, page 14f.
- A very pleasant location was picked upon by Mr James Aldridge when he purchased "Richmond", the property owned for so many years by the late John Chambers... It must some day become very valuable as a site for a suburb, but meanwhile it is being devoted to the double purpose of a homestead and a stud farm...
A "Native Reserve" in the district is mentioned in the Register,
16 September 1892, page 5h;
the flooding of the district is reported on
15 February 1897, page 5f,
18 June 1898, page 17a.
Also see South Australia - Natural Disasters - Floods.
Information on James Aldridge's Richmond Park stables is in the Express,
5 October 1893, page 4c.
Information on the district is in the Chronicle,
20 February 1897, page 17a.
The laying of the foundation stone of the school is reported in the Observer,
30 April 1898, page 15e; also see
27 September 1898, page 2b.
A "Hoisting the Flag" ceremony is described in the Chronicle,
18 May 1901, page 36d.
Also see South Australia - Miscellany - Flags and Patriotic Songs.
A photograph is in the Observer,
31 January 1903, page 24,
of the school band on
11 August 1923, page 29; also see
18 May 1933, page 37.
A "Blockers'" picnic is reported in the Express,
4 January 1900, page 4c.
Also see Place Names - Cotton, Hundred of.
A photograph of four generations of the Taylor family is in the Observer,
1 March 1913, page 32.
Information on the Richmond Scout Group is in The Mail,
8 September 1928, page 2d.
Photographs of a Boy Scouts' troop are in the Observer,
9 February 1924, page 34, Also see Adelaide - Boy Scouts
winners in a baby competition are in the Chronicle,
29 June 1933, page 34.
Biographical details of James Eglin(g)ton are in the Observer,
7 January 1928, page 34b.
Richmond - Obituaries
An obituary of Hermann Puttmann is in the Register,
12 January 1875, page 5c.
An obituary of Ernest A. Frith is in the Observer,
12 October 1907, page 38d,
of John McL. Sutherland on 28 April 1928, page 49b.
An obituary of Albert A. Young is in the Register,
20 January 1923, page 8h.
Thomas Rickaby, an early settler.
A photograph is in the Observer,
6 April 1907, page 30.
Riddoch, Hundred of
John Riddoch (1827-1901), MP (1865-1873).
Also see South Australia - Politics.
"Mr Riddoch and His Defenders" is in the Observer,
31 May 1873, page 12g,
28 June 1873, page 13f.
His letter setting out the reasons for his resignation from parliament is in the Register,
25 June 1873, page 5c.and in a stinging editorial the Observer castigated him:
Mr Riddoch's aim was either to get the direction of the railway changed or to burke it entirely and, had he succeeded, the settlers in the north, for all he cared, would have to whistle for their means of reaching a nearer port than Rivoli Bay or Port MacDonnell... The Border Watch... has not served Mr Riddoch's cause by calling attention to the fact that he was evidently prepared to throw his Naracoorte constituents overboard entirely.... We may briefly allude to Mr Riddoch's farewell manifesto to the electors of the District of Victoria recently published under his own signature in which he reiterates the unwarrantable statements attributed to him.
Thus he repeats it is hopeless to expect to have any measures connected with the district in a fair and impartial manner by the Assembly as at present constituted... As we have said before Mr Riddoch went into the house with the settled purpose in his mind of defeating the Railway Bill and, failing in that object, his work was done. It would not have answered for him to have openly avowed the fact, and so he has raised this dust about injustice to the district to cover his retreat. We hope to see his place supplied by an equally able but less unscrupulous man, who will show by his acts that he cares for the interests of South Australia at large, as well as those of that limited portion of it which lies at Yallum Park.
A school of this name opened in 1916 and became "Mount Graham" in 1918.
The suburb, now included in Myrtle Bank, takes its name from a property owned by Mr G.F. Shipster in the early 1840s.
The Ridge Park Nursery is advertised in the South Australian,
9 June 1846, page 2d.
Historical information is in the Register,
30 October 1906, page 7a,
17 October 1927, page 5c.
- The want of a public recreation ground in the vicinity of Glen Osmond was impressed on the residents of this suburb by the gradual disposal of portions of Ridge Park.... A tea meeting and entertainment held in the institute on October 13 contributed a substantial sum to the funds...
8 August 1908, page 3a.
A photograph of a picnic party is in the Observer,
17 November 1928, page 38,
of a Seventh Day Adventists' Camp in the Chronicle,
1 March 1934, page 35.
The present suburb of Ridleyton originally comprised part of preliminary section 371, Hundred of Yatala which was granted to Osmond Gilles on 7 March 1839, who transferred it to John Ridley of 'Hindmarsh Town' on 14 June 1842 for the sum of £275. At the time, John Ridley was described as a miller although within two or three years he was to become famous as the inventor of the first stripper or reaping machine. Ridley held this land for many years. In 1873 he applied to bring portion of the land under the provisions of the Real Property Act and lodged a plan of a subdivision over that area which he named 'Ridleyton'.
A letter from John Ridley about his proposed flour mill at Hindmarsh appears in the Southern Australian,
14 August 1840, page 3d;
it is described on
7 March 1843, page 2d.
His horizontal windmill is described on
26 July 1844, page 2d; also see
24 December 1919, page 9g.
- I came out in the Warrior and arrived here on Good Friday last... I brought with me a steam engine part of the force of which I intend to appropriate to driving a saw mill and part for the grinding of flour. Since then I have been busily employed at Hindmarsh, in setting up the engine and making other necessary preparations... I am a hater of monopolies and have no wish to create a monopoly for myself...
"A Life of a Pioneer" is in the Chronicle,
3 December 1904, page 39b.
An obituary of Mr Ridley is in the Register,
30 November 1887, pages 4h-6a;
also see 30 November 1899, page 6a,
Observer, 3 December 1887, page 30b;
also see 7 January 1888, page 16a,
9 December 1899, page 44e.
Interesting letters regarding the Ridley stripper are in the Register,
16 December 1843, page 2e,
31 January 1844, page 2e,
3 February 1844, page 2e,
31 July 1844, page 3a,
16, 17 and 24 January 1845, pages 3b, 2d and 2d,
7, 19, 22 and 26 February 1845, pages 2d, 2f, 2f-3b and 3c,
28 May 1845, page 3a,
19 November 1845, page 2d,
12 September 1846, page 2d,
17 March 1847, page 2d.
Also see South Australia - Industries - Rural, Primary and Secondary - Farming - Farm Implements.
Also see Southern Australian,
12 and 26 September 1843, pages 2c and 2b,
10 and 17 October 1843, pages 3d and 2b,
17 November 1843, page 2d,
29 December 1843, page 2d,
10 and 20 December 1844, pages 3a and 2d,
14 February 1845, page 2c,
16 February 1847, page 5c.
A laudatory editorial on John Ridley is in the Register,
29 January 1853, page 3c; also see
18 February 1853, page 2e.
Information on the presentation of a candelabrum to Mr Ridley appears on
1 November 1860, page 2h.
"The Ridley Testimonial" is in the Chronicle,
22 September 1860, page 2f,
Farm & Garden,
13 December 1860, page 100.
"Ridley Reaping Machines" is in the Chronicle,
17 February 1872, page 3d; also see
12 January 1878, page 18f.
"Mr Bull and the Ridley Reaper" on
13 May 1882, page 10c.
Further information on the reaping machine is in the Register,
25 February 1853, page 3a,
2 and 5 March 1853, pages 2e and 3c; also see
Farm & Garden,
11 November 1858, page 84,
26 February 1876, page 9b,
4 March 1876, page 9e,
24 December 1879, page 6f,
29 March 1882, page 6e,
21 January 1886, page 6b.
A letter from J.W. Bull is in the Register of
6 May 1886, page 6d where he says, inter alia:
I have always said that the first suggestion came to me in a notice of a Roman invention given in Loudons's Encyclopaedia of Agriculture.
7, 12, 18, 20, 26 and 31 May 1886, pages 7g, 7f, 7c, 7g, 3h and 7e,
4 and 19 June 1886, pages 3h and 7e,
6 July 1886, page 3g,
2 August 1888, page 6g,
18 September 1899, page 7d.
"South Australian Inventions" is in the Express,
26 October 1905, page 4g.
The Register of
21 February 1906 at page 6g has a claim by W.L. Beare that the reaper was invented by John Bull and built by Samuel Marshall - "I worked it with satisfactory results before a Ridley reaper ever touched a straw"; also see
23 and 27 February 1906, pages 3i and 6d,
5, 21 and 26 March 1906, pages 6d, 8e and 3i,
28 February 1907, page 9g,
13, 20 and 23 March 1907, pages 7g, 9d and 14c.
Also see Advertiser,
15 March 1907, page 9c,
18, 20, 21, 24 and 28 February 1911, pages 12g, 10c, 10h, 9d and 9h,
1, 7, 8, 11, 14, 29 and 31 March 1911, pages 5d, 9h, 5c, 18a, 9g, 5b and 8g,
4 and 26 April 1911, pages 9a and 10h.
"The Life of a Pioneer" is in the Advertiser,
26 November 1904, page 9d.
"Where Was It First Tried" is in the Observer,
30 March 1907, page 45c.
"The Ridley Memorial" is in the Observer,
21 September 1907, page 44c.
A proposed memorial is discussed in the Register,
8 and 23 February 1911, pages 8h and 4d,
24 August 1911, page 8d,
14 March 1912, page 4e,
15 October 1912, page 6f,
12 and 15 March 1913, pages 10a and 17c,
22 November 1928, page 10f,
25 June 1929, page 8h.
"John Ridley - A Public Benefactor" is in the Register,
3 August 1928; also see
8, 9, 10, 13, 16, 17 and 28 August 1928, pages 8h, 8h, 8h, 8h, 8d-h, 8h and 15a and
8, 18, 22 and 31 August 1928, pages 15b, 19a, 21e and 14a,
1 September 1928, page 17d.
A proposed memorial at the Showgrounds is discussed in the Advertiser,
15 September 1932, page 15g;
for the opening of the memorial gateway see
2 September 1933, page 15h.
"Ridley - Inventor and Philanthropist" appears on
24 September 1932, page 14e.
Information on local Homestead Blocks is in the Chronicle,
16 and 23 February 1895, pages 6c and 4f,
9 March 1897, page 4c.
A meeting of "blockers" is reported on
23 February 1901, page 31d.
Also see Place Names - Cotton, Hundred of.
Probably Messrs J. and H.J. Riggs, who held a pastoral lease ENE of Burra in 1876.
A complimentary concert to W. Riggs is reported in the Register, 18 June 1887, page 6h.
- One of the largest concert audiences that have been gathered together for a long time assembled at the Gawler Institute on June 16 to do honour to Mr W. Riggs... Mr W. Riggs's string band with Mrs Wainwright as pianist played three overtures and Misses Fotheringham and Mary Alexander rendered piano solos... During the evening His Worship the Mayor, Hon J. Martin, MLC, presented a beautifully illuminated and framed address to Mr Riggs and a parcel of sovereigns... The address referred to the gratuitous education given by Mr Riggs to a large number of young men of the town and neighbourhood; to his labours so often freely and generously given on behalf of the public institutions as well as to deserving charity cases...
27 October 1900, page 14c and
an obituary on 19 September 1908, page 42b,
of Andrew Riggs on 9 September 1905, page 38c,
of Henry J. Riggs on 19 September 1908, page 42b,
of William Riggs on 3 July 1909, page 40a,
of J.A. Riggs on 8 and 22 July 1922, pages 20d and 31b.
The golden wedding of Mr & Mrs W. Riggs is reported in the Register,
3 May 1906, page 4i,
Observer, 12 May 1906, page 7c.
An obituary of Mrs William Riggs is in the Observer,
5 June 1920, page 12a.
Biographical details of John Riggs are in the Register,
24 October 1900, page 8e,
3 August 1920, page 5b,
7 August 1920, page 28c (obit.).
Ripon, Hundred of
Earl of Ripon, Secretary of State for the Colonies.
Biographical details of the Earl of Ripon are in the Register,
7 September 1874, page 5d.
A school of this name opened in 1909 and closed in 1911.
The name possibly comes from Tasmania.
A photograph of the Anglican Church is in the Chronicle,
29 November 1934, page 32.
Ritchie, Hundred of
George Ritchie, MP (1902-1922), MLC (1924-1939).
Also see South Australia - Politics.
An interview with Mr Ritchie is reported in The Mail,
25 November 1922, page 2d.
River GlenThe school opened in 1933 and closed in 1951.
River ViewFor information on the Port Adelaide subdivision see Register,
9 April 1920, page 11c.