Place Names of South Australia - S
Shebbear - Smoky Bay
- .Shirley Gardens
- Shoal Bay
- Short, Hundred of
- Siam Station
- Silicate Beach
- Simpson Desert
- Sims (Simms) Cove
- Si(m)ms Rock
- Simpson Creek
- Sinclair Gap
- Sinclair, Point
- Sinnett, Mount
- Sir Joseph Banks Group
- Skillogalee Creek
- Sixth Creek
- Skye Town
- Slape Gully
- Sleeps Hill
- Sliding Rock
- Smeaton, Hundred of
- Smedley Town
- Smiths Creek
- Smith, Hundred of
- Smoky Bay
ShebbearAlso see Place Names - Terowie.
It was named by Acting Governor, Sir Samuel Way, after a village in Devonshire, England where his father had established a school prior to coming to South Australia in 1850.
The Register of
17 August 1877, page 5d recounts an objection to the town's survey,
while the Observer of
11 May 1878, page 20b has a report of a deputation to the Commissioner of Crown Lands asking for it to be withdrawn from sale; also see
7 and 8 May 1878, pages 6b and 5a,
11 May 1878, page 11a,
25 May 1878, page 13b; also see
19 February 1880, page 6e.
- A deputation aired a grievance in connection with the declaration by the government of the new township of Shebbear. It was pointed out that members of the deputation had bought land in the government town of Yarcowie where suburban lots might be sold now, but that the government, while not selling suburban lots, had surveyed the town of Shebbear within five miles of Yarcowie and adjoining the private township of Terowie...
23 September 1891, page 7b; also see
2 November 1891, page 6b.
The name comes from Cambridgeshire, England.
A Band of Hope picnic is reported in the Chronicle,
19 April 1873, page 7d and
a sports day on
11 April 1874, page 5d.
- The second anniversary in connection with the Shelford Band of Hope took place on Friday. It was celebrated by a picnic held at a nicely situated spot close to the foot of the ranges, near Foote's Yards... This terminating the sports, a procession was formed, consisting of members of the band, numbering about 50, headed by a handsome banner... At the Shelford Chapel an entertainment was given in the evening...
ShenthalThe South Australian of 2 April 1850 mentions this German village in the Mount Lofty Ranges; a German word meaning "lovely or splendid valley". It is, no doubt, a corruption of "Schoenthal".
An early name for Paradise, applied by Alfred Hardy whose father was Lord of the Manor of Shepley in Yorkshire, England.
The Register of
16 May 1854, page 2c has a report on a proposed church in the locality of the "townships of Newton and Shipley [sic]..."
"A Deserted Church" is in the Register,
7 March 1913, page 15b; also see
31 March 1913, page 9e.
A Sunday school picnic is reported in the Observer,
5 December 1863, page 5h.
Information on the Shipley Congregational Chapel is in the Express,
14 December 1864, page 3d,
11 November 1868, page 2h.
A corruption of the Aboriginal word tjeiringa given to a type of yam plant which flourished near local lagoons.
The school opened as the "Hundred of Way" in 1886 becoming "Sheringa" in 1906;
it closed in 1953.
A sports day is reported in the Observer,
4 June 1887, page 15a,
2 June 1888, page 13g,
8 June 1907, page 13c.
A horse race meeting is reported in the Advertiser,
5 January 1892, page 6c,
7 January 1893, page 13g and
a coursing event in the Observer,
9 January 1897, page 18e.
Also see South Australia - Sport - Horse Racing.
The town is described in the Register,
24 December 1898, page 5f.
31 December 1898, page 2e.
- The next place of mark along the road is the township of Sheringa, consisting of a temperance hotel, general store and blacksmith's shop under one roof, and a public building which is used as a church, a school and a dancing room...
25 June 1907, page 7d,
29 June 1907, page 40d.
The Hundred of Sherlock, County of Buccleuch, was proclaimed on 30 March 1899 and named by Governor Buxton after a friend.
A sports day and picnic at Welcome Well is reported in the Chronicle,
12 January 1907, page 42c.
The school opened in 1911 and closed in 1970.
A photograph of Mr D.E. Greig's "house on a wagon" is in the Observer,
16 September 1911, page 31.
Shirley GardensThe News of 23 March 1917, page 11b talks of another subdivision of this name "off Moseley Street", Glenelg.
Shoal BayInformation on the school is in the Register,
6 August 1928, page 13a,
11 August 1928, page 55a.
- The school is beautifully situated on a mound which is not only high and dry but is good balsatic soil.... A large proportion of the school ground proper has been turned up and planted in a hundred and one ways. It is really wonderful what has been accomplished as I understand there are only 18 on the roll... The operations are divided into three sections: flowers, vegetables and agricultural...
6 August 1928, page 13a.
Short, Hundred of
In the County of Grey, proclaimed on 20 September 1883 and, according to records within the Department of Lands named after Arthur Short, MP, (1893-1896). The above nomenclature must be regarded as more than suspect because the Hundred was proclaimed some ten years before he entered parliament; it is more likely that it honours Reverend Augustus Short, the first Bishop of Adelaide who died in England on 5 October 1883 and this contention is supported by the fact that the 'Hundred of Kennion' (named after the second Bishop of Adelaide) was proclaimed on the same day.
"Bishop Short's Jubilee" is in the Chronicle,
20 January 1877, page 5c.
An editorial concerning his imminent retirement is in the Observer,
12 November 1881, page 24c,
5 January 1882, page 4d;
an obituary appears on
9 October 1883, pages 4d-5e; also see
26 November 1883, page 6d,
14 September 1889, page 5a,
4 February 1888, page 41a,
30 June 1897, page 5h,
7 February 1914, page 51d,
"Augustus Short - Pioneer Bishop" on
16 April 1923, page 8d,
18 April 1925, page 60a.
An obituary of his son, Henry Augustus Short, is in the Register,
24 November 1903, page 4i.
Biographical details of Arthur Short, MP, are in the Register on 21 April 1893, page 6h,
23 February 1926, page 10g.
An obituary of Miss Isabella Short is in the Register,
1 and 3 January 1923, pages 6f and 9c.
Comments on Bishop Short by W.G. Randall are in the Register,
9 April 1925, page 6d.
Siam StationThe pastoral station is described in the Chronicle,
28 September 1901, page 35d.
An obituary of John Brennan is in the Observer,
29 August 1908, page 40c.
The school opened in 1965 and closed in 1972.
It may relate to a pastoral lease of the same name on upper Eyre Peninsula.
In the Hundred of Dalkey near Owen; known locally as 'German Town' because of the number of German families living in the area. It was a biblical name given by E.G. Traeger circa 1865.
The Register of 26 October 1868, page 2f says:
The new school erected by the Germans at Sichem was opened as a temporary place for worship... The school is well-finished, with an apartment at one end for a schoolroom... An avenue in front was planted with pines, with that good taste in which Germans excel.
Silicate BeachIt was once the site of a German brickworks until the outbreak of World War I. The firm made an unusual silicate brick. The area was known as "Silicate Estate".
It took its name from the nearby Talisker silver mine.
Also see South Australia - Mining - Coal.
An Oddfellows' meeting is reported in the Express,
26 July 1871, page 2g.
The town and district are described in the Observer,
23 April 1892, page 10c.
A History of Silverton
Today, the name of Silverton is best associated with a town close to Broken Hill which for over 100 years or more has enriched the nation with its fabulous deposit of silver-lead ore. However, before it was discovered the most productive silver mines in South Australia spawned a town of Silverton in 1864 on part section 116, six kilometres from "Campbell's Creek and Talisker Mine" that lay in the Hundred of Waitpinga near Cape Jervis.
Many towns in South Australia have suffered dwindling population coupled with a creeping paralysis but, somehow, manage to struggle on. But Silverton is no more and the once bustling village has been replaced by stands of eucalypts and other native and imported flora. Close by, and concealed beneath the growth of decades, can be found the rusting remains of machinery used at the Talisker Mine which in its heyday produced ore assaying from 63 to 91 ounces of silver to the ton - during its ten years of "active" life from 1862 it smelted, on site, ore that gave up 889 tons of silver-lead that grossed in excess of £29,000.
In the early 1860s John McLeod, accompanied by a cousin of the same name, while searching for gold at the foot of Fleurieu Peninsula (at that time unnamed) came upon specimens of minerals that proved to be silver-lead ore. A mineral claim was lodged when his title was disputed but eventually maintained when the Talisker Mining Company Syndicate was formed with "five or six gentlemen". The discoverers, who hailed from the Isle of Skye in Scotland, took the name from their homeland - it derives from the Norman word hjalli-sker that translates as "shelf-like rock".
At first the miners were provided with a large tent as living quarters, a blacksmith shop was built where picks, etc., were pointed, while a substantial hut built of slabs served as both the manager's residence, a store room and cellar and the miners' eating apartment replete with a spacious kitchen. Thirty-two men were employed and the first shipment of 17 tons of "first class" ore was shipped to Port Adelaide in the cutter Breeze on 9 October 1862 from a small port known as "The Fishery" near Cape Jervis.
In an early report to the Company the Mine Captain said:
I am sending a box of specimens obtained from the drive as a sample of the lode... I am highly pleased... we may expect to cut a lode of extraordinary richness. There is every prospect of the mine becoming increasingly remunerative.
Later, the Secretary of the company was to conclude that the ore at the 33 fathom level was superior "to anything ever previously discovered in the mine, or probably in the colony." When these opinions came to public notice there was an exodus from the metropolitan area and elsewhere to this new El Dorado, either to seek employment at the mine or provide services to the miners and their families who gradually moved out of the communal tent into wattle and daub huts erected adjacent to the mine at the behest of the company.
At Silverton a hotel was the first building erected in the town and was followed by shops and an eating house; by 1866 a dozen or more cottages were occupied by workers engaged in wood cutting and the transport of ore. A Wesleyan Chapel was built and services were conducted there for nine years until 1875 when the congregation had moved on. The town was serviced twice a week by Rounsevell's coach to Adelaide via Glenburn.
By the close of the 1860s the two bugbears associated with mining were evident - paucity of finance and lack of adequate pumping equipment to cope with an abnormal influx of water into the mine. The Mine Captain was adamant that:
All that is required to properly develop the resources of the mine is an increase of funds... [It] has not yet paid a dividend... due solely to the mine being imperfectly worked owing to the want of funds...
His advice did not go unheeded - the company had commenced operations with a capital of £6,000 with two increases in 1865 and 1869 totalling £34,000 but all to no avail for by 1872 water was flowing into the mine faster than funds could be found to pump it out! Finally, in 1872 "the company was unable to finance further development and operation ceased" leaving lamenting shareholders to ponder the fact that during the company's lifetime no dividend had been paid.
But there were some entrepreneurs in mining circles who believed that hidden wealth was to be exploited at lower depths in the mime and in 1917 an Adelaide syndicate took over the property:
The first consignment of heavy pumping machinery in connection with the unwatering of the Talisker silver mine... has been sent from Adelaide.... It consists of a 50 h.p. latest type of traction engine, which will provide necessary power for driving a powerful pumping plant, recently purchased from the Government... The main shaft of the mine is more than 400 ft. deep and is connected by numerous drivers, tunnels and stopes.
Below the 133 ft. level the mine is full of water. More than 50 years have elapsed since the property was worked below the water level; but although the dry levels are now being systematically mined, the syndicate has resolved to get richer ore, stated to exist at the deeper level. The unwatering operations, which represent a big undertaking, are in charge of Mr Edgar Hornwool, who is making preparations for raising more than 350,000 gallons daily. If successful, the mine, it is estimated, will give employment to several hundred men.
The company's hopes for riches were soon dashed - after winning some 600 tons of ore the mine closed in 1920. In 1924 the Department of Mines pumped out the water and its experts made an inspection and reported that all seven shafts along the lode had collapsed - "two of them had completely disappeared leaving no trace - and the stopes between the 42 feet level and the surface have caved in... the mine workings are now completely inaccessible."
Silverton and the Talisker mine are no more and a fitting closure to their story might well be the words of a visitor to the sites some fifty years ago - "Over this very ground the sweating teamsters with creaking bullock wagons had carted the dressed ore...; that here, where we now heard only the wind in the tree tops and the calls of the bush birds, the street had resounded with the noise of children at play. Here the people had touched their caps to all powerful mine captains, first, Captain Price, and later, Captain Tresize, who I was told... firmly believed to the end that Talisker was a richer mine than Broken Hill... I felt as if I was trampling on the broken hearts of the people, who came here some 90 years ago with such high hopes, such rosy dreams of the future of the place... I well remember as I drove back through the trees to the highway, the sobbing of the wind seemed like a call from the ghosts of the past, an uneasy sighing redolent of faith misplaced and cherished hopes and dreams unrealised.
H.Y.L. Brown, Record of the Mines of South Australia (fourth edition), 1908. Hedley Brideson, The Story of Talisker, Geoffrey H. Manning, Manning's Place Names of South Australia. Register, 20 October 1862, page 3a, 9 November 1926, page 6e, Advertiser, 17 May 1866, page 3a, 13 December 1892, page 6g, 8 April 1919, Observer, 13 August 1881, page 41e.
It was named by Governor Jervois after Sir John L.A. Simmons, Field Marshal and Commandant of the Royal Engineers.
A sale of town allotments is reported in the Chronicle,
15 May 1880, page 4d.
Simpson Creek(See Black Diamond Corner)
Captain Henry Simpson who arrived in South Australia as second officer of the John Pirie in August 1836.
At Port Adelaide - See Observer,
25 June 1859, page 1b (supp.).
- It is hoped now that a sum of money has been voted for filling up this creek at the Port... The condition of the side of the creek next Commercial Road is a source of constant annoyance and danger to passers-by, particularly at night time. Many instances have occurred of persons after daylight slipping down the miry chasm between the road and the piling and of narrowly escaping from being smothered in the mud.
Named by Dr C.T. Madigan in 1929 in honour of Alfred Allan Simpson, manufacturer and one time president of the Royal Geographical Society of Australasia, SA Branch Inc. He was primarily responsible for raising funds for an exhaustive aerial survey conducted by Madigan.
"Simpson Desert Crossed" is in the Advertiser,
19 June 1936, page 22f; also see
15 July 1936, page 18h.
8 April 1937, page 43a,
1 July 1937, page 34 (photographs).
- The Simpson Desert... [that] has turned back several of the greatest of Australian explorers, has now been crossed from west to east by Mr E.A. Colson, of Blood's Creek... The western side was explored in 1916 by Mr T.E. Day, former Surveyor-General of South Australia; Captain Barclay travelled along the northern side in 1878 and Winnecke traversed the eastern side in 1884. A year later, David Lindsay pushed farthest into the southern portion...
Si(m)ms RockThe discovery and naming of this previously uncharted rock near Thistle Island is reported in the Advertiser,
19 January 1905, page 4g; also see
1 January 1925, page 2h.
Sims (Simms) Cove
Near Moonta. The Sims family were the first professional fishermen in the district. Also known as 'Simms Cove'.
A shark fishing excursion by Captain Simms is reported in the Register,
1 March 1910, page 6f.
- Captain Rex Simms and a small party left in the cutter Minnie Simms on a shark fishing expedition to Dangerous Reef last Thursday and returned the next day with three specimens of the shark tribe measuring 15 feet, 14 feet 9 inches and 13 feet 6 inches respectively... The party on board included Messrs W.T. Mortlock, Boxer Ware and T.J. Matheson who were armed with guns which were used to dispatch the brutes when they had been hauled within range of the cutter...
2 April 1910, page 12h has a report on the cutter Minnie Simms - "the second largest vessel engaged in the fishing industry"; also see
1 June 1910, page 10e; also see
31 December 1924, page 9d,
1 January 1925, page 2h,
10 January 1925, page 49c-57c.
Also see South Australia - Flora and Fauna - Fish and Other Sea Creatures and South Australia - Industries - Rural, Primary and Secondary - Fishing.
"The Ways of Fish and How to Catch Them" is in The News,
17 September 1934, page 4e.
In the Hundred of Ash. Probably James Stuart Sinclair (1806-1895), a sheep farmer in the Port Lincoln district in the 1850s.
James Sinclair's obituary is in the Register,
25 October 1895, page 5c;
information on the family appears on
7 March 1928, page 10a.
A photograph is in the Observer,
30 January 1915, page 27.
The Observer of
31 July 1909, page 30 has his photograph and a reference to him being "taught" by John McDouall Stuart; also see
23 July 1910, page 6i for the reminiscences of Donald Sinclair.
A letter from James Sinclair and a family photograph are in the Observer,
16 and 30 January 1915, pages 23a and 27;
3 March 1928, page 4f for the reminiscences of Mrs W.H. Hall who was taught the alphabet by Stuart.
He came out to Australia in the same ship as Stuart who:
Returned to visit the Sinclair's whenever possible... and they... [had] a fond remembrance of the man who lived with them in their early days of struggle on Eyre Peninsula, helping with the stock in the daytime and teaching the children in the evenings...".
(See Proceedings of the Royal Geographical Society, Vol 62, page 37,
22 September 1931, page 10i and Place Names - Green Patch.)
An obituary of Donald Sinclair is in the Register,
2 August 1921, page 4h,
6 August 1921, page 34a.
Biographical details of Mrs W.H. Hall (nee Sinclair) are in the Observer,
10 March 1928, page 44a.
- Born in 1845, and proceeding to the Coffin Bay district three months later, Mrs W.H. Hall, who now resides at Norwood, is one of the oldest persons living who can remember the early pioneering days on the west coast... Mrs Hall came overland from Mount Barker with her parents and two brothers, James and Donald Sinclair. The journey was by bullock dray via the Gawler ranges... When Mrs Hall was about five years old the family moved to Uley where they came into contact with John McDouall Stuart... At that time Stuart was engaged in station bookkeeping and Mrs Hall is justly proud of the fact that the explorer taught her to repeat the alphabet...
Named by Matthew Flinders in January 1802 after one of his midshipmen.
A photograph is in the Observer,
5 June 1926, page 34.
On Frederick Sinnett's private survey map of 1851 the name is applied to a peak a few kilometres distance from St Marys Peak, but was not shown an official map until 1986 when his name was applied to a hill on section 148, Hundred of Edeowie. It is of interest to note the name appearing on a pastoral lease map of Messrs Burnett and Fotheringham's Run (nos. 392 and 425 of 1855), where it is applied to a peak about 7 km north of Saint Marys Peak.
Mr Sinnett's obituary is in the Register,
24 November 1866, page 2d.
A benefit concert for his widow is reported in the Advertiser,
14 May 1867, page 3f,
28 May 1867, page 2e.
Sir Joseph Banks Group
Comprises eighteen islands and two reefs named by Matthew Flinders on 26 February 1802, 'In compliment to the Right Honourable, The President of the Royal Society...'
"The Father of Australia - Sir Joseph Banks" is in the Register,
11 January 1907, page 3c.
Sixth CreekInformation on the gold mine is in the Chronicle,
9 June 1866, page 3d,
21 February 1867, page 2f,
19 April 1867, page 2e,
10 May 1869, page 3b,
15 May 1869, page 5c.
- The discovery that has attracted the most attention is that on Sixth Creek, its exact position being at the foot of Montacute. It is known that gold has been found in the neighbourhood 20 years ago...
'Skilly' is the name given to a thin gruel made from porridge and hot water.
A protest against the size of some sections in the survey of the area is in the Register,
11 July 1850, page 4a.
A murder is reported in the Observer,
3 August 1850, page 2e (supp.),
7 September 1850, page 3e (supp.); also see
4 January 1873, page 11a.
A report on its school examinations is in the Register,
26 July 1867, page 2e.
Parliamentary Paper 36/1873 shows two schools designated "Skilly" conducted by Isaac Prior and Matthew H. Prior. Department of Education records show a Skilly School near Auburn opening in 1912 and closing in 1942.
A death by drowning is reported in the Observer,
29 September 1877, page 7a.
- Mr A.T. Uffindell, builder of Clare, drowned while attempting to cross the creek in his buggy... he was accompanied by two other persons - Brown and Duffield.... During the same afternoon a farmer named Fitzgerald nearly met his death at the same place in attempting to cross on horseback...
25 January 1913, page 41a.
The golden wedding of Mr & Mrs Alfred G. Badcock is reported in the Observer,
24 and 31 July 1926, pages 37a and 60b.
Skye TownThe Observer of 12 June 1869, page 4a mentions it as part of Naracoorte.
A valley of Second Creek near Burnside was named after five brothers, James, John, Robert Ralph, Thomas and William Slape who settled and farmed there circa 1860.
A bush fire is reported in the Register,
25 January 1877, page 6b,
11 March 1925, page 11a.
Also see South Australia - Natural Disasters - Bushfires.
"In November 1894, the Inspector of Mines reported upon workings on sections 1051 and 1052, Hundred of Adelaide. A tunnel had been driven 36 ft. on the course of a lode at Slape's Gully..."
See Record of the Mines of South Australia (fourth edition), page 212 and
1 December 1894, page 6e,
4 December 1920, page 11e.
An informative article on the area is in the Advertiser,
12 November 1910, page 15a.
A field naturalists' excursion is reported in the Register,
12 August 1919, page 6h.
Named by Matthew Flinders in 1802 after a town in Lincolnshire.
This school opened in 1919 and closed in 1920.
A photograph of "lunch among the sandhills" is in the Chronicle,
7 March 1935, page 32,
of "a strange west coast hut" on
6 August 1936, page 32.
Samuel Sleep (c.1821-1866), who owned section 1145, Hundred of Adelaide on which the hill is situated.
A photograph of Samuel Sleep is in the Observer,
24 July 1909, page 30.
For a time it was the terminus of the suburban trains after the service had been extended from Clapham.
"A Hill That Must Go' and biographical details of Samuel Sleep appear in the Register,
10 July 1909, page 8g.
A photograph is in the Observer,
24 July 1909, page 30.
The opening of a railway quarry is reported in the Advertiser,
10 July 1909, page 13b.
- Sleep's Hill at Blackwood has suddenly come into prominence by reason of the excellent enterprise on the part of the Railway Department in spending £15,000 for the purchase of a quarry and the erection of stone crushing works which will permit ballasting being undertaken in the future at less than one half the cost entailed in the past. In time, Sleep's Hill in its present state will disappear off the face of the earth because the works in question are extracting 200 tons of rock per day... The hill perpetuates the name of Samuel Sleep... His house stood near to the trig that a government surveyor erected on the top of the rise and neither the house or the trig remain. (A history of his life on Werocata Station follows)...
8 November 1917, page 4d.
'Reminiscences of Lively Days' by an early resident is in the Register, 29 June 1899, page 6d where he explains its nomenclature:
- On the opposite side of the creek, just north of the mine, are situated a stretch of very imposing sandstone cliffs. In one place, to all appearances, a great mass of the formation fell away from the cliffs and tumbled or slid down the steep declivity...
Also see South Australia - Mining - Coal.
Information on the discoverer of the mine, Henry S. Hemming, is in the Observer,
7 June 1902, page 34c.
Henry S. Hemming was an old identity of the north and was one of the pioneer of the State. He formed one of the trigging expeditions which went to the Flinders Ranges in 1862 in charge of the Surveyor-General, G. W. Goyder, and also accompanied that gentleman to the Northern Territory to complete the survey of that country. He entered into pastoral pursuits on the west coast but sold out and followed up mining. He found the Mount Hemming copper mine.
He had been prospecting in the Flinders Ranges for a number of years and about 1894 prospected McKinley Pound. His horse perished and he had difficult trip across country to strike the main north-east road between Italowie Gap and the Frome where he was picked up by some dog catchers and taken to Mr McConville's Frome station. On another prospecting trip he perished and his body was found in one of the steep valleys of the Italowie mountains. Only a skeleton was found all his flesh being eaten off by wild dogs whose dens were close at hand. The police buried the bones where they had been found and built a grave with rocks. A wooden cross with ?H.H.24/5/02? was erected on it.
The christening of the mine is reported in the Chronicle,
12 November 1870, page 12g.
A feature article on the mine is in the Express,
16 August 1872, page 3e,
18 October 1872, page 5e; also see
25 January 1873, pages 10d-13a,
4 December 1875, page 14a,
20 January 1877, page 3g,
17 March 1877, page 19d,
28 April 1877, page 21d,
8 October 1896, page 4h,
8 December 1899, page 7c.
28 June 1899, page 7h,
23 and 30 March 1907, pages 41a and 39,
10 April 1907, page 7b,
27 April 1926, page 13e,
7 and 21 August 1926, pages 1f and 18e,
19 March 1927, page 18c,
2 April 1927, page 61e.
The sale of township allotments is reported in the Observer,
13 December 1873, pagwe 8b.
The Advertiser of
21 July 1874, page 3e reports a school being opened by Miss Sinnett.
8 April 1876, page 4c.
Information on a school is in the Register,
15 December 1876, page 5f,
2 January 1877, page 7a.
The school conducted by Miss Marian Sinnett has been in existence ten weeks and 25 pupils were now in attendance.
9 January 1875, page 4f.
Also see South Australia - Sport - Horse Racing.
Details of the town (Cadnia) are in the Observer,
8 May 1875, page 9g,
30 October 1875, page 3f,
23 October 1875, page 6g,
11 August 1876, page 2f;
a photograph is in the Chronicle,
2 September 1899, page 20 (supp.).
Information on mail deliveries and the school is in the Register,
15 December 1876, page 5f and
2 January 1877, page 5a.
Also see South Australia - Communications - Mail and Postal.
"The Far North Mails" is in the Register,
17 April 1876, page 6b,
22 June 1876, page 5c.
The provision of a "stock reserve" adjacent to the town is discussed in the Chronicle,
12 August 1876, page 4e.
A trip from Blinman to Sliding Rock is described in the Register,
12 March 1877; also see
15 March 1877, page 5a.
A coach trip from Adelaide is reported in the Advertiser,
12 April 1877, page 6a.
Also see South Australia - Transport - Horse Coaches.
An obituary of E.T. Braddock, who "started the Sliding Rock mine", is in the Register,
23 January 1880, page 5c.
"Reminiscences of Lively Days" by an early resident is in the Register, 29 June 1899, page 6d where he explains its nomenclature:
On the opposite side of the creek, just north of the mine, are situated a stretch of very imposing sandstone cliffs. In one place, to all appearances, a great mass of the formation fell away from the cliffs and tumbled or slid down the steep declivity...
The mine and district are described in the Advertiser,
28 February 1907, page 7h,
13 and 16 March 1907, pages 8c and 9h.
Photographs are in the Observer,
8 July 1922, page 26.
The reminiscences of W. Rogers are in the Register,
12 October 1926, page 6f.
Smeaton, Hundred of
H. Smeaton, MP (1905-1921). Born in Scotland in 1857 he served an apprenticeship as a stone-cutter and afterwards worked in an architect's office. He came to South Australia in January 1879 and in 1883 started in practice as an architect, winning a prize in open competition for the design of the Adelaide YMCA building. He did much in Parliament for temperance legislation and was associated with that movement for 35 years.
- With the proven persistence of his race, having shown a liking for military training, he applied himself diligently and rose from the ranks to the position of Lieutenant-Colonel.
Also see South Australia - Politics.
A school of this name opened in 1919 and closed in 1935;
Smeaton West School opened in 1932 and became "Kilroo" in the same year.
A photograph is in the Chronicle, 22 December 1932, page 32.
Information on Mr Smeaton is in the Weekly Herald,
13 March 1896, page 1,
30 November 1900, page 3;
an obituary is in the Register,
18 October 1927, page 10h.
A subdivision of part section , Hundred of Coomooroo, laid out by its owner Francis Smedley in 1882.
Biographical details of Francis Smedley are in the Advertiser,
10 June 1919, page 9c.
Smith, Hundred of
Sir Edwin T. Smith, MP (1871-1893), MLC (1894-1902).
"Sir E.T. Smith, KCMG" is in the Register,
20 January 1888, pages 4h-6a,
21 January 1888, page 22f;
biographical details are in the Observer,
14 May 1887, page 16b,
22 March 1902, page 6e,
17 October 1903, page 9d ("His Colonial Jubilee"),
9 April 1910, page 38b.
Cartoons are in The Lantern,
5 and 26 November 1887, pages 1 and 1.
A proposal to grant him the "freedom" of Kensington and Norwood is reported in the Observer,
17 February 1912, page 49d,
15 June 1912, page 46a.
A satirical poem is in the Observer,
13 December 1879, page 10a,
27 November 1880, page 909e.
"Tribute to a Grand Citizen" is in the Observer,
19 April 1913, page 52e.
His obituary appears on
27 December 1919, pages 6b-7d; also see
17 January 1903, page 23,
10 October 1936, page 4.
Photographs of his funeral are in the Observer,
3 January 1920, page 24.
John Smith (c.1807-1877) purchased 1,200 acres in the district in 1848 and laid out the village on part section 3165, Hundred of Munno Para north-east of Salisbury circa 1854.
The proposed erection of "a commodious roadside inn with stockyards" is reported in the Register,
3 July 1847, page 3e.
Mr William Smith's obituary is in the Observer,
11 May 1912, page 41a and
J.N. Smith's on
16 May 1925, page 38c.
- Among the purchases made at the government land sale were three eighty-acre sections midway between the Little Para and Gawler Town bought by Mr John Smith, the former landlord of the Dry Creek Inn, who is about to erect forthwith a commodious roadside inn with stockyards and every requisite on the new site that has been thrown open to the public. The want of water has often been felt on this long stage by men and beast and this deficiency Mr Smith is determined to supply by well or otherwise. The undertaking is very spirited and deserves success.
24 May 1855, page 3c,
8 January 1921, page 7d.
An editorial in the Register of 22 June 1855, page 2d under the heading "Right of Watercourses" recites, inter alia, the case of Samuel Crittenden accusing John Smith of having "erected a dam to prevent a certain creek from flowing in its ordinary course..." Mr Smith's response is in the same newspaper on 29 June 1855, page 3f; also see
Ben Evans, From Weavers to Wapstraws,
pages 309-310 and
7 July 1855, page 5g.
An obituary of Samuel Crittenden is in the Register,
11 July 1893, page 5c.
Its school opened in 1857; see
3 February 1876, page 5c,
28 June 1876, page 5e,
5 February 1876, page 7a.
Smithfield Plains School opened in 1968.
Photographs are in the Chronicle,
15 December 1932, page 32.
The opening of a Free Presbyterian Church is reported in the Register,
30 August 1855, page 3d.
The laying of the foundation stone of the West Smithfield Bible Christian Chapel is reported in the Register,
12 February 1859, page 2h and
its opening in the Observer,
25 June 1859, page 3e.
The farms of Thomas Hogarth and John Smith are described in the Register,
12 and 19 February 1863, pages 3g and 3c respectively.
The "Smithfield Farmers' Club" is in the Chronicle,
14 November 1863, page 3a,
12 November 1863, page 3h,
13 June 1865, page 2e.
Mr Coglin's stud farm is described in the Chronicle,
24 February 1883, page 15d.
Information on the Institute is in the Chronicle,
2 June 1883, page 21d,
11 and 13 October 1883, pages 5b and 6d.
on a Light Horse camp in the Register
28 February 1913, page 5f,
1 March 1913, page 7a.
A trial of harvesting machinery on Mr Charles Ridgway's property is reported in the Register,
23 October 1885, page 6e and
6 December 1901, page 7e,
14 December 1901, page 3c for "an important trial".
Also see South Australia - Industries - Rural, Primary and Secondary - Ploughing Matches.
Photographs of a speedway are in the Chronicle,
23 October 1926, page 39,
23 April 1927, page 37,
of motor cycle races in the Observer,
26 February 1927, page 34,
16 January 1928, page 11d.
Also see South Australia - Transport - Motor Cars and Cycles.
Smithfield - Obituaries
An obituary of Gavin Scoular is in the Register,
26 March 1887, page 3d, Observer, 2 April 1887, page 29d,
of Mrs Isabell Turnbull on 14 October 1905, page 40d,
of Mrs Charlotte Medlow on 16 June 1917, page 28a,
of Mrs John Roberts on 4 December 1926, page 43d.
An obituary of Mrs John Roberts is in the Register,
18 August 1894, page 6h,
of John Hogarth on 6 January 1920, page 4h,
of Alexander Adams on 16 April 1920, page 6h,
of W. Andrews on 22 May 1928, page 11g.
Smiths CreekInformation on Mr Adamson's water mill is in the Observer,
17 September 1853, page 5f.
Also see South Australia - Industries - Rural, Primary and Secondary - Farming - Mills.
The laying of the foundation stone of a Free Presbyterian Church is reported in the Register,
24 November 1854, page 2h.
It is described in the Register,
27 March 1856, page 3a.
Nnamed by Matthew Flinders, in 1802 because of the smoke emanating from Aboriginal fires on the shore.
A photograph of a scrubcutters' camp is in the Chronicle,
3 November 1906, page 30,
of a sports committee on
17 August 1912, page 30,
of the telegraph station in the Observer,
18 February 1911, page 32.
A proposed jetty is discussed in the Register,
21 August 1908, page 4f,
4 November 1908, page 3g.
The school opened in 1909 and closed in 1968.
A photograph is in the Chronicle,
4 December 1909, page 30.
"Abandoned Farms" is in the Advertiser,
6 June 1924, page 11d.
- There are many reasons why farms are abandoned. Five of my neighbours and their families left chiefly because there was no education here for their children and for the same reason I and my family will leave when I can dispose of my property... Some over-borrow and get into difficulties. Some would not be successful anywhere and some find the life too monotonous... Adverse seasons have been a great factor... The vacant farms have a depressing effect on the settlers remaining and they are discouraged from spending money on their own holdings. The difficulties of destroying foxes, rabbits, etc. is increasing and life made more solitary for those who stick...