Place Names of South Australia - U
Ucolta - Uworra
- Uden Point
- Umpherstone Bay
- University Blocks
- Unley Park
- Up and Down Rocks
- Upper Sturt
- Upper Wakefield
- Utera Plain
NomenclatureAccording to James Thyer (1829-1896) who lived in the district it is a corruption of 'Eucolta', the Aboriginal name of Flagstaff Hill.
General NotesIts school opened in 1899 and closed in 1938. See Register,
24 December 1913, page 9c.
27 December 1913, page 44b,
3 January 1914, page 18d,
28 February 1914, page 40b.
- Much unnecessary correspondence has been indulged in by the Ucolta correspondent because the Education Department no longer rents an old iron building 2 miles from Ucolta... The school has been removed to suitable stone building on my [R.A. Bohme] grounds... nearer to the township... The owner then offered the old building to me for £22, so your readers can decide as to what sort of a structure it would be. I declined his offer...
14 July 1917, page 6h.
The golden wedding of Mr & Mrs R. Perkins is reported in the Register,
15 December 1921, page 6i.
Photographs of the opening of the war memorial hall are in the
15 April 1922, page 30.
Also see South Australia - World War I - Memorials to the Fallen.
An obituary of William McMurtrie is in the Observer,
9 January 1926, page 37b.
Biographical details of Robert Perkins are in the Register,
16 June 1927, page 12a,
25 June 1927, page 5b.
NomenclatureOn Flinders Island; named after "the late veteran signalman at the Semaphore".
See Advertiser, 21 January 1910, page 6e where it is shown as "Aden Point".
General NotesInformation on Mr Uden is in the Chronicle,
30 July 1898, page 18d,
9 November 1901, page 25e,
17 January 1903, page 4b; also see
21 May 1904,
12 January 1918, page 19e,
12 July 1902, page 7a,
10 January 1903, page 5h,
9 June 1905, page 6a,
3 July 1905, page 4h,
30 August 1905, page 5a,
14 October 1904, page 4e.
NomenclatureIn the County of Flinders, proclaimed on 11 August 1871 and supposedly named by Governor Fergusson after a town in Gloucestershire which means 'yew wood'. It is probable that the Uley sandhills are identical with the 'yellow hills without vegetation' which appear on Flinders' charts, running parallel with the coast south-east of Coffin Bay. The 'Uley Run' (lease no. 70) was held by James Sinclair from July 1851. Of interest is a poem entitled 'Aboriginal Nomenclature - By a Native' which appeared in the Register of 11 October 1893. The last lines of one stanza reads:
- Euly (by the land-locked bay),
We gathered oysters here.
General NotesThe slaying of kangaroos on Mr Sinclair's run is reported in the Register,
7 April 1875, page 5c.
Also see South Australia - Flora and Fauna - Marsupials and Mammals.
Information on James Sinclair is in the Advertiser,
18 May 1905, page 7f.
A photograph of the ruins a house built by J.Mcd. Stuart in 1852 is in the Chronicle,
20 May 1905, page 26.
Also see Sinclair Gap.
"SA Graphite - Port Lincoln Field" is in the Register,
8 February 1927, page 6f.
Also see South Australia Mining - Coal.
NomenclatureThe founder of the Uleybury school, Moses Bendle Garlick, was a weaver in the village of Uley in Gloucestershire, England.
General NotesThe opening of the "Uley Chapel", north of Adelaide, is reported in the Register,
21 March 1851, page 3b and the
22 March 1851, page 2f; also see
5 May 1858, page 2f.
Historical information supplied by Moses Garlick's son is in the Advertiser,
29 March 1862, page 3b.
Daniel Garlick's obituary is in the Chronicle,
4 October 1902, page 37c.
A Uley Chapel Bazaar is reported in the Adelaide Times,
16 November 1852, page 2e.
School examinations are reported in the Register,
5 December 1855, page 3b,
8 December 1855, page 4d,
29 October 1859, page 8b,
30 March 1912, page 26b.
- About 26 parents and friends and scholars assembled at the residence of the teacher to witness the half-yearly examinations... Prizes awarded - Conduct, Eliza Martin; Writing, Agnes Campbell, Elizabeth Hewston; Reading and Spelling, Eliza Martin; James Campbell and Elizabeth Hewston; Ciphering, Thomas Hewston, James Campbell and John Nourse. Second Class - Spelling and Reading, James Schram. A. Campbell, S.W. Robertson, S. Nourse and Hugh Eskin; Conduct, Eliza Schram. Third Class - Reading, Jessie Patterson; Spelling, Robert Patterson...
NomenclatureAn Aboriginal word, meaning unknown.
General NotesThe school opened in 1919 and closed in 1938.
NomenclatureThe name was applied to a creek 10 km north of Hallett by Captain E.C. Frome, Surveyor-General, in 1843. Aboriginal for 'permanent stream' or 'meandering creek'.
General NotesAlso see South Australia - Mining - Gold.
Information on gold digging at Ulooloo is in the Register,
24 December 1869, page 2e;
12 and 28 January 1870, pages 5b and 5e;
22, 28 and 29 March 1871, pages 3e, 5d and 6a;
3 and 15 April 1871, pages 5c;
1 May 1871, page 3e;
24 October 1871, page 5a;
13 and 26 December 1871, pages 5a and 5c;
20 and 27 January 1872, pages 4f and 5d.
Also see Observer,
28 October 1871, page 9f,
21 March 1871, page 2b,
29 April 1871, page 2c,
3, 9, 17 and 22 February 1872, pages 5c, 5c, 5b and 5a,
15 and 17 August 1872, pages 4e and 5a,
15 September 1879, page 6b,
26 September 1881, page 5a,
2 June 1882, page 5b,
The Irish Harp,
24 February 1872, page 6c,
9 March 1872, page 6a,
25 June 1879, page 5b,
7 and 20 July 1886, pages 7b and 7e,
30 August 1886, page 7f.
Also see Register,
17 February 1886, page 5b,
19 and 20 May 1886, pages 5a,
29 July 1886, page 6d,
30 August 1886, page 7a,
18 September 1886, page 3c,
14 October 1892, page 3g,
18 January 1895, page 5d,
31 December 1896, page 3e.
"Early Days of Ulooloo Goldfields Recalled" is in The Mail,
27 July 1929, page 11a; also see
1 August 1929, page 51a.
"Grog Shops and Gold Diggers" is in the Advertiser,
12 and 15 February 1872, pages 3f and 3e.
There is one store and one public shanty and two blacksmiths' forges. The grog shop when first started ... was a good speculation, disposing of 10 hogsheads of beer weekly, whereas now it scarcely pays.
(Register, 24 February 1872 and 29 March 1872, pages 5c and 5b.)
2 September 1871, page 3f;
for its opening see Register,
6 January 1872, page 5d.
Parliamentary Paper 36/1873 shows the school being conducted by W.G. Torr.
A cricket match, Ulooloo versus Jamestown, is reported in the Register,
26 July 1875, page 7b.
Also see South Australia - Sport - Cricket - Miscellany.
"Sudden Death at Ulooloo" is in the Chronicle,
18 August 1877, page 12a,
11 August 1877, page 3e.
The settlement is described in the Register,
20 November 1880, page 6f.
Photographs of flooding are in the Observer,
14 February 1925, pages 32-33.
An obituary of Mrs Ward is in the Observer,
6 July 1895, page 29c.
"Six Weeks of Earth Tremors" is in the Register,
3 December 1919, page 7e.
Also see South Australia - Natural Disasters - Miscellany.
"Early Ulooloo" is in the Observer,
1 August 1925, page 48e.
- Jessie Bryce ( now Mrs Wall) remembers as a small girl travelling to Waurkungrie station where her father was, for many years, a shepherd under the owner, Mr Chewings. Dingoes abounded then and fences were so rare that every night the flock had to be yarded. Part of her morning work ... was to carry to the pastures the baby lambs which were too weak to walk so far... When it was decided that a school should be opened at Ulooloo the parents chose a teacher, as was the custom in those days. There were several applicants, all men, and the general opinion was that Mr William Torr was too young, he then being but 18 years of age. However, on Sunday evening he preached in the building which was to serve the community as a day school, Sunday school and church, and his preaching gave the good folk such a high opinion of his earnestness and ability, that at the selective meeting on the following day he was chosen by a large majority...
27 July 1929, page 43a,
3 and 10 August 1929, pages 41a and 49b; also see
24 and 25 July 1929, pages 15h and 11d.
A History of the Ulooloo Goldfield
In the mid-1860s Thomas Harvey of Kapunda took up land about 40 kilometres north-east of Burra. He was an experienced miner and from the quantity of quartz in the locality of Ulooloo Creek he and a friend, Mr Brayley, determined to sink exploratory holes where, in 1869, out of three tubs of "stuff", two penny-weights of gold were procured.
Destitution in Adelaide
At this time the streets of Adelaide were clogged with men at the corners of the streets demanding work or food and to alleviate the situation it was asked why the ministry did not do what had been done twice before on similar cases since the introduction of responsible government - that was to supply a labour test at some moderate distance from town. It had been shown that this had checked the evil of street meetings and demonstrations on previous occasions.
But instead of this nothing was done by the authorities, excepting that a very illogical and somewhat irritating letter was issued from the Destitute Board. The government, however, "sat still with their usual masterly inactivity" until a number of unemployed in and around the city had increased to three or four hundred.
By 1870 it was apparent that this situation had not improved and unemployment agitation assumed "new and more exciting" phases. On 28 February 1870 the Commissioner of Public Works offered, through a deputation, to employ those who wished to work in trenching the New Asylum paddock at piece work rates. This proposal did not satisfy the men at the time and on the following Tuesday a crowd "consisting chiefly of strong, healthy-looking, able-bodied labourers" gathered outside the Treasury Buildings in King William Street adjoining the north-eastern corner of Victoria Square.
It was soon evident that they were in an angry mood and twenty policemen were summoned; they had no sooner arrived than the men invaded the building and "commenced ascending the staircase, shouting, howling and vowing vengeance upon the Government." The policemen formed a cordon and attempted to clear the passages when a number of public servants came to their assistance and "by sheer strength [they] succeeded in expelling labourers and the police indiscriminately, and then all the doors were securely bolted."
"Exasperated at the defeat of their attempt to gain the presence of the Ministers, the assemblage endeavoured to hustle the Commissioner of Public Works; the Commissioner of Police interposed and Mr Colton judiciously retired. Mr Hamilton, as a precautionary measure, then sent for a body of the mounted police." By midday there were over 200 labourers present together with a "large concourse of spectators" who jammed the footpaths avidly awaiting further developments.
Finally, the men decided to rush the stores and about 100 of them "formed in rough order in the middle of the street" but with a sudden change of heart they "betook themselves to the vacant space on the Town Hall Acre where one of their number, taking his stand on a mud-cart, harangued them in language which evidently met with general approbation." He said that they were ready to work but that 1/10 (18 cents) a day was insufficient to meet the needs of themselves and families for it would barely suffice to buy food let alone rent, firewood and other necessaries.
"Amidst general cheering he advised all pick and shovel men to get their tools, collect [sic] at one o'clock, and demand work or bread." The mob then dispersed and vowed to return in the afternoon. At 1.30 they gathered and marched towards the Treasury where "more than a score of policemen essayed to hold the steps against them" only to be pushed aside and "a most vigorous effort was made to drive into the Treasury door, which shook before the pressure brought to bear against it."
A melee ensued, the police drew their truncheons and mounted troopers arrived at the gallop and "speedily cleared the pavement..." The men then reassembled "opposite the old and new Post-Office buildings"; stones were propelled and nearby shopkeepers put up their shutters, arrests were made and the fracas continued; finally, order was restored by the police aided and abetted by "peaceable citizens".
The Gold Rush to Ulooloo
Some of the unemployed preferred to be their own masters and the untried country surrounding Ulooloo Creek became attractive to them. Early in 1871 Mr Westcott and supporters of his prospecting enterprise went to the site with a mining warden and two experienced diggers (Messrs Goddard and Griffiths), who had come from the Barossa goldfield. Within a short time one and a half ounces of gold had been fossicked after about ten hours of cradling. That night, "after a good supper, a rubber of whist, and some half-hour in admiring the Aurora Australis, which appeared in great brilliance... [they] turned in for the night in a tent... [some] found outside billets under the lee of carts, or any other shelter that could be found."
Mr Westcott's claim at Ulooloo was about half a mile from Mr Chewings' head station and following its successful debut a great excitement ensued in Adelaide where it was claimed that the discovery and "the practical operations, which are already in progress, will of course revolutionise the character of the settlement to which the country has been devoted." Subsequently, a considerable amount of rough gold of excellent quality was found, including one nugget which weighed over a pound; there was a firm belief in many minds that a payable goldfield destined to rival those of Victoria had been found.
A rush commenced and by the end of 1871 the town comprised of tents, huts made from pine timber cut from the banks of the creek and a store conducted by Mr Simmons from Burra; the population was about 250. A licensed shanty served as a hotel and was reported to dispense up to ten hogsheads of beer weekly but some residents objected to "crowds of idle people" and "scenes of debauchery" and called for the presence of the police so that law and order could be preserved.
In September 1871 the foundation stone of Ulooloo Goldfields Wesleyan Chapel was laid on land presented by Messrs Brayley and Stephens, at whose stations religious services had been held for about the preceding ten years. In January 1872 the "Reverend Mr Leggoe from Fiji preached twice to large congregations - a large concourse gathered from the diggings and surrounding country to manifest their appreciation of the creature comforts provided and show their sympathy with the effort to meet the spiritual and educational wants of the neighbourhood." By 1873 a school was being conducted there by Mr W.G. Torr.
Ulooloo Creek was not a continuous stream but a chain of water-holes and water could be obtained anywhere by sinking through the surface shingle. At first the prospectors pegged their claims along the creek - an ordinary alluvial claim was not to exceed 10 yards square; ordinary creek claims included a creek frontage of 20 yards and a similar depth on both banks, while prospectors' working claims were from 30 to 200 yards square, increasing in size with the distance from any previously "officially known worked diggings". The greatest drawback was the scarcity of water in the tributary creeks which only ran during winter rains; this made it necessary to cart the washdirt a long distance.
The story was told of an old digger, German Jack, who came back to the diggings one night carrying stone bearing gold in great quantities. The news spread like wildfire and in Burra a syndicate was floated to set German Jack and his mate to work building a shaft. Their success was all but phenomenal for they produced many samples of stone containing rough gold.
The syndicate decided to send a man to Adelaide to raise more cash and a local builder was selected. On his way south he submitted the samples to the knife of an enquiring friend. The gold fell from the stone and investigation revealed that it was not reef gold but alluvial which had been hammered into the crevices of the ironstone, the recesses being filled with gunpowder and dried cement!
By the end of the 1870s all that remained of the settlement was the church; in 1881 a newspaper report caused great excitement when it announced that "a reef may have been found at last." Many men came but left in despair and it was left to a mining engineer to declare that "without capital" the Ulooloo goldfield would be a failure. In 1882 a company "of 30,000 shares" was floated to locate the El Dorado - it lost its money! In 1886 a government party sunk a shaft on both sides of the creek and put in a 70 feet tunnel which was declared to be "nothing but a farce". Not to be deterred the government had a party of men working there in 1894 on a sustenance allowance - ten shillings a week and whatever gold they could find; their work was a failure as all they did was turn over "old ground".
Register, 24 December 1869, page 2e, 12 January 1870, page 5b, 28 March 1871, page 5c, 13 December 1871, page 5a, 2 September 1871, page 3f, 6 January 1872, page 5d, 27 January 1872, page 5d, 9 February 1872, page 5b, 22 February 1872, page 5a, 24 February 1872, page 5c, 15 September 1879, page 6b, 26 September 1881, page 5a, 2 June 1882, page 2b, Advertiser, 7 July 1886, page 7b, 30 August 1886, page 7, The Mail, 27 July 1929, page 11a, Observer, 18 March 1870, page 13d.
NomenclatureThe subdivider probably had in mind a battle at Ulundi in South Africa on 4 July 1879 when a British Army destroyed the incumbent Zulu power following a severe reversal at Isandhlwana on 22 January 1879, when 800 British soldiers fell.
NomenclatureEast of Lyndhurst, is derived from ngumbadatanha meaning 'roaring' referring, no doubt, to earth tremors which occur from time to time along a local fault line.
General NotesAn alleged accidental shooting of an Aborigine by Samuel J. Stuckey of the Umberatana Run is in Parliamentary Paper 92/1864; also see Parliamentary Paper 144/1864 and a note Augusta, Port.
The pastoral run and district are described in the Advertiser,
21 June 1899, page 9a.
Information on the pastoral station is in the Chronicle,
1 and 8 July 1899, pages 19b and 19.
Information on the Wheal Turner Mine is in the Chronicle,
8 July 1899, page 19;
a photograph of a government prospectors' camp is published on
2 September 1899 (supplement),
29 July 1899, page 19.
Also see South Australia - Mining - Coal.
The Advertiser, 11 September 1918, page 8g has information on James Thomas; a large hill on the property named Mount Thomas has the following engraved on a stone - "James Thomas, founder of this station, 1857". Therefore, it would appear that he was the manager for the lessees, Messrs Taylor and Gill.
NomenclatureThis name was applied to a mission school near Port Augusta in 1962; it closed in 1968.
NomenclatureJames Umpherston, an early pioneer of Mount Gambier in the 1860s.
General NotesMr Umpherston's farm near Mount Gambier is described in the Register,
8 December 1869 (supp.), page 2e and
9 April 1889, page 6f,
11 January 1893, page 6d,
a report of a bunyip lurking in Umpherstone Caves appears on
27 August 1895, page 5e.
- Report of the shark [in the Blue Lake] was not true. The creature has been identified by several reliable perjurers as the 'bunyip'; its lair is in Umpherston's cave, but it fishes in the Blue Lake... The creature was spotted all over with stripes and when seen was carrying off a wotisit alive. The monster's footprints have been found in the water about the centre of the lake. They are about the size of the Premier's foot tracks.
A letter from James Umpherston alluding to the Ridley stripper is in the Register,
26 May 1886, page 3h;
an obituary is in the Chronicle,
3 November 1900, page 37d,
3 November 1900, page 37d and
details of his will in the Express,
5 November 1900, page 2c.
An obituary of William Umpherston is in the Register,
15 January 1915, page 4f,
of Mrs Mary Umpherston in the Observer,
15 December 1917, page 23e.
NomenclatureThe name given by the Aborigines to a waterhole in the River Wakefield, while the surrounding district was known as kercoonda meaning 'camp near water'.
General NotesThe opening of a Bible Christian Chapel is reported in the Register,
29 September 1859, page 3c; also see
28 September 1860, page 3e.
A report on school examinations is in the Register,
30 May 1861, page 3d,
15 November 1866, page 2e;
a school picnic is reported in the Register,
26 October 1863, page 2e.
Parliamentary Paper 73/1872 shows the school being conducted in a chapel by Herman G. Allert with 41 enrolled pupils; it opened in 1860 and closed in 1955.
A school picnic is reported in the Observer,
3 October 1863, page 1g (supp.),
26 October 1863, page 2e; also see
2, 16 and 17 October 1865, pages 2b, 3c and 3c.
The village is described in the Chronicle,
6 May 1865, page 2e,
12 May 1866, page 2g.
- A beautiful Catholic chapel has been built and opened free of debt; a neat store built and opened; and two schools under the auspices of the Board of Education; a hotel is now in progress which will be a boon to teamsters there being good paddock accommodation, which Auburn at present is deficient of. This prosperity and advancement - all in about twelve months - is very cheering...
6 October 1865, page 3f,
7 September 1870, page 3f,
4 September 1871, page 3d.
Also see South Australia - Industries - Rural, Primary and Secondary - Ploughing Matches.
A shooting at the hotel is reported in the Observer,
12 February 1870, page 3f.
Local horse racing results are in the Register,
4 June 1870, page 3f,
10 September 1870, page 13f.
Also see South Australia - Sport - Horse Racing.
Information on the bridge is in the Observer,
22 February 1879, page 14c;
2 July 1904, page 1b (supp.);
a photograph of it is in the Chronicle,
17 August 1907, page 29 together with one of the Catholic Church.
An obituary of John Plew is in the Register,
29 February 1908, page 9d,
7 March 1908, page 40a.
NomenclatureCreated by John Symonds Williams on section 96, Hundred of Adelaide circa 1853. It probably alludes to 'a dale under or near Adelaide'.
General NotesJ.D. Holbrook's orangery is described in the Register,
26 July 1875, page 6a. Also see South Australia - Industries - Rural, Primary and Secondary - Fruit and Vegetables
An obituary of Mrs Harriet Holbrook is in the Observer,
18 July 1903, page 34d.
The opening of the "Underdale Bridge" is reported in the Observer of
18 September 1875, page 10f; also see
14 September 1875, page 6c,
4 February 1897, pages 5d-9d.
Also see Adelaide - Bridges.
"A Prize Fight Prevented" is in the Register,
20 February 1882, page 5b.
- On Sunday morning the police succeeded in a remarkably neat capture and a number of persons who had assembled in Mr Hardy's vineyards at Underdale for the purpose of witnessing and taking part in a prize fight... The names of the offenders are Charles Nurse and George Reardon, the two principals, Richard Morris, Thomas Inglis and Jas Castle. To all appearances it seems a most fortunate thing that the fight was stopped so early, as Nurse was quite a slim young fellow, while his opponent was chiefly remarkable for his size. Morris and the man who escaped acted as seconds.
An obituary of John Mills is in the Register,
2 September 1912, page 6i.
Its school opened in 1914.
A photograph of the committee of management of the Anglican Church is in the Chronicle,
15 May 1915, page 27.
A sports carnival is reported in the Register,
3 April 1926, page 7e,
16 April 1927, page 10c; also see
14 April 1927, page 13c.
NomenclatureBy Act 11 of 1875 the Governor was given power to reserve waste lands of the Crown and grant same to Education authorities, any income to be used for educational purposes.
General Notes"Land Grants for Educational Purposes" is in the Chronicle,
18 December 1875, page 9a.
An editorial on them is in the Observer,
25 March 1876, page 12b,
14 April 1877, page 6g,
23 August 1877, page 4c.
- The Education Bill passed during the previous session provides, among other things, for setting apart certain portions of the Crown lands for education purposes... The annual rental ought to produce something handsome towards meeting the cost of our national system of education...
10 May 1879, page 7g.
"The Educational Lands Bill" is in the Chronicle,
10 September 1881, page 5a.
"University Lands at Wirreanda" is in the Observer,
4 August 1883, page 36a.
Unley ParkThe laying of the foundation stone of the Primitive Methodist Chapel is reported in the Observer,
10 March 1860, page 4e; also see
16 June 1860, page 8b.
Information on a cricket club is in the Express,
14 September 1885, page 4e,
10 September 1886, page 3g,
21 July 1887, page 4e,
13 August 1900, page 4d.
Also see South Australia - Sport - Cricket - Miscellany.
Information on its school is in the Chronicle,
24 December 1892, page 7e,
23 December 1893, page 22a,
18 December 1895, page 6d,
17 December 1896, page 7b,
23 December 1899, page 44a,
19 December 1904, page 3h.
The laying of the foundation stone of the Baptist Church is reported in the Register,
20 July 1903, page 8g; also see
20 March 1928, page 8f.
Information on Rev H.E. Hughes is in the Register,
14 October 1903, page 7a,
24 October 1903, page 21a.
With the advent of motor cars in the district a correspondent to the Register on 18 May 1904 at page 4f opined that "the charms of rurality are now being rudely displaced by the torpedo-like puffings of motor cars and cycles..."
- Until recently Unley Park could, I suppose, lay claim to being the most rural suburb of our fair city. There, with infinite pleasure, the warbles of the blackbird could be listened to, blended with the carols of Australia's queen of song, the magpie, and the twitterings of another native songstress, the 'willy wagtail'... The charm of rurality are now being rudely displaced by the torpedo-like puffings of motor cars... About the first motor car used in this State was owned by a resident of Unley Park. In it he was wont to fly down Wood Strret, the northern most portion of which is so ''cribbed, cabined and confined' as not to allow of the existence of construction of footpaths, and where, should his panting motor have happened to meet a horse, that animal would have assuredly attempted to climb a tree as a means of self preservation...
The golden wedding of Mr & Mrs Edward Laughton is reported in the Observer,
18 May 1907, page 38e.
The jubilee of Misses Thornber's school is reported in the Register,
27 October 1905, page 5d.
An obituary of C.M. Thornber is in the Observer,
11 October 1924, page 39d;
information on Ms Thornber, teacher, is in the Register,
29 November 1924, page 10g,
6 December 1924, page 19d.
"Fifty Years a School Mistress - Passing of Miss C.M. Thornber" is in the Register,
7 October 1924, page 4a.
The golden wedding of Mr & Mrs Edward Laughton is reported in the Register,
16 May 1907, page 6h.
"Birds and Insects" is in the Register,
3 and 4 February 1908, pages 4f and 7h.
Also see South Australia - Flora and Fauna - Miscellany.
Information and photographs in connection with Terry's jam factory are in The Critic,
6 October 1915, page 13,
15 December 1915, page 25.
Also see Adelaide - Factories and Mills.
"Early Unley Park - When Victoria Avenue Was Farmed" is in the Register,
4, 6 and 9 December 1926, pages 10d, 10a and 10g,
"History of Unley Park" in the Observer,
1 January 1927, page 32d.
Photographs of homes are in The Critic,
15 January 1913, page 15.
Biographical details of John H. Chapman are in The Critic,
16 August 1922, page 5,
of Thomas H. Jackett on
4 October 1922, page 5.
Information on a sports club is in the Register,
13 June 1923, page 13e,
6 March 1924, page 6c.
A photograph of preparatory work being undertaken in connection with the Unley Park Sports' Club ground is in the The Critic,
29 August 1923, page 22,
1 September 1923, page 33,
1 September 1923, page 30; also see
7 June 1924, page 33.
Biographical details of John M. Reid are in The Critic,
3 May 1922, page 5.
Biographical details of Simon Harvey are in the Register,
10 November 1926, page 11g,
of Cecil Whiting on
31 March 1930, page 6d.
Information on and photographs of the croquet club are in the Register,
20 October 1927, page 12a.
Unley Park - Obituaries
An obituary of Edwin W. Kernot is in the Observer,
15 November 1902, page 34d,
of T.J.C. Hantke on
16 November 1912, page 41a,
of J. Viner Smith on
20 May 1916, page 33a,
of Mrs Edwin Martin on
8 July 1916, page 19e,
of D.W. Melvin on
5 August 1916, page 33b,
of Arthur H. Scarfe on
14 April 1917, page 14a,
of Mrs H.M. Boucaut on
23 June 1923, page 35a,
of H.B. Thompson on
8 September 1923, page 39a,
of Mrs Peter Whitington on
21 June 1924, page 28b,
of A.E. Birrell on
7 April 1928, page 49b.
An obituary of Mrs Susannah Riley is in the Register,
2 May 1910, page 4h,
of George T. Ley on
2 November 1910, page 6h,
of Judah Lipman on
8 and 12 July 1911, pages 15d and 6i,
of Carl Wilberth on
22 March 1912, page 6h,
of Mrs H.M. Hawkes on
17 September 1912, page 4g,
of T.J.C. Hantke on
9 November 1912, page 15a,
of Rev Robert Thomson on
16 December 1912, page 6h,
of James Viner Smith on
12 May 1916, page 4h,
of D.W. Melvin on
31 July 1916, page 4g.
An obituary off William H. Jervois is in the Register,
12 May 1921, page 9a,
of G.C. Hittman on
3 December 1921, page 11e,
of A.E. Tolley on
8 June 1922, page 6g,
of Mrs H.M. Boucaut on
15 June 1923, page 8h,
of Horace B. Thompson on
31 August 1923, page 11e,
of Mrs Peter Whitington on
14 June 1924, page 10b,
of Edwin Broad on
26 February 1927, page 7f,
of Leopold Judell on
6 May 1927, page 8h,
of Mrs E.C. Vardon on
31 December 1927, page 10g,
of Mrs Jane B. Matters on
30 July 1929, page 5a.
UnoA pastoral property on Upper Eyre Peninsula is described in the Observer,
1 December 1894, page 43a,
23 April 1898, page 2d,
28 September 1901, page 35d.
Hay growing on the property is reported in the Observer,
24 October 1914, page 12b.
Up and Down RocksThe death of one of the last survivors of the Booandik tribe at this place near Mount Gambier is reported in the Observer,
10 February 1883, page 37c.
- The aboriginal natives of this district are gradually dying out. Last week two of them disappeared from this mundane sphere. One was an aged member of the Booandik tribe, well known in the district as Old Tom, who died at the Up and Down Rocks... [He] was always an abstainer from the white man's 'firewater' and to this fact he was in a great measure indebted for his length of days. His last request was one to Mrs Smith, the local proctectress, to give his blanket, etc., to a young native attendant who was his nurse for a long time...
General NotesIts school opened in 1877.
Information on the school is in the Advertiser,
29 December 1890, page 7g and
the school and cemetery in the Register,
23 July 1906, page 6a; also see
5 October 1908, page 7d.
- The head teacher of the Upper Sturt school has evolved from the annual Arbor Day celebration an institution of much wider scope which deserves the attention of all lovers of order and of beauty in country townships... A rather neglected grave yard was nearby and she resolved to improve its appearance... Operations began early on Saturday morning when about 40 workmen quickly cleared the overgrowth...
28 July 1906, pages 27 and 40d.
27 September 1909, page 9d.
Also see South Australia - Education - Arbor Days
A new bridge is discussed in the Chronicle,
21 June 1890, page 6c.
"A Trip to the Upper Sturt" is in the Advertiser,
18 April 1892, page 5f.
The district is described in the Register,
18 April 1892, page 7d,
6 and 11 May 1893, pages 1a (supp.) and 6d and
the opening of a new road on
3 October 1892, page 7h.
A field naturalists excursion is reported in the Register,
1 November 1898, page 7e,
27 November 1900, page 3e.
"Improving a Cemetery" is in the Register,
5 October 1908, page 7d.
"A Beauty Spot in the Hills" is in the Advertiser,
4 August 1913, page 11f.
Information on Mr Frank Adams and "The Simple Life - Thirty-Two Years in the Open Air" is in the Advertiser,
24 July 1914, page 9b.
Upper Sturt - ObituariesAn obituary of Thomas Evans is in the Register,
25 June 1904, page 11d,
of Mrs Elizabeth A. Coates on
28 November 1906, page 7a,
of John Coat(e)s on
4 May 1907, page 9f,
of Mr Norris on
23 March 1910, page 7a,
of A. Attersoll on
24 April 1918, page 7a,
of John N. Baillie on
14 September 1927, page 8h.
An obituary of Adolphus Attersall is in the Observer,
27 April 1918, page 31e.
Upper WakefieldThe opening of a Bible Christian Chapel is reported in the Register,
10 October 1857, page 3c,
10 October 1857, page 5h.
- The opening services of the Bible Christian Chapel on the Upper Wakefield took place on Sunday and Monday, the 27th and 28th of September... After the tea a public meeting was held, presided over by Mr S. Roberts and addressed by Messrs Hillman, Ridelift, Jolly and Blatchford...
4 and 9 August 1866, pages 2h and 2f - "The old chapel will be leased as a schoolroom."
Its public school opened in 1921 and closed in 1956.
NomenclatureA corruption of the Aboriginal jureidla - 'two ears'. In Kaurna mythology the Mount Lofty Ranges was the body of a gigantic prostrate man and Uraidla was considered to be the place of his ears.
General NotesThe opening of its school is reported in the Observer of
22 March 1879, page 12d;
Education Department records show the school being opened in 1871 following the closure of the Mount Lofty School; see Advertiser,
26 July 1927, page 17i.
A photograph is in the Observer,
12 April 1919, page 26.
A proposed private school is discussed in the Register,
1 March 1882, page 5b; also see
26 July 1927, page 13a.
"School Fire" is in the Register,
12 April 1928, pages 9d-10.
In a letter to the editor of the Register, 10 September 1872, page 6d Thomas Playford said: "The settlers name for the place is ""Old Brewery"". Upon erecting a schoolhouse there we called it by its native name..."
An amusing article on "How It Got Its Name" is in the Observer,
28 February 1925, page 36b.
- In a reminiscent vain, Mr W.J. Cobbledick, told his companions how Uraidla got its name. His father coined it. The native name was pronounced Uree-idla and the veteran's parents evolved the word Ureidla out of this. On one occasion when he had taken his van to the Plough and Harrow stables in Adelaide - the chief rendezvous of market gardeners in those days - Mr Blinman, the proprietor saw the name printed on the vehicle and remarked, "What is the meaning of that?" Mr Cobbledick readily responded, "UR and Idle Damned Lazy Animal". This reply greatly amused Mr Blinman, who said, "Make one out of mine and I will give you a drink." Mr Cobbledick promptly seized the offer and replied, "Be Liberal IN Measuring A Nobbler." "And he was, too", added Mr Cobbledick.
14 February 1882, page 4g; also see
13 April 1889, page 7d,
17 and 26 August 1889, pages 7a and 5b,
3 June 1890, page 7c,
16 February 1892, page 6a,
14 May 1894, page 7c,
11 June 1894, page 6c.
Also see South Australia - Mining - Coal.
Information on the Uraidla Gold and Tin Mining Company is in the Chronicle,
7 October 1882, page 16d.
A Show is reported in the Register,
22 February 1884, page 7a,
12 and 13 December 1884, pages 6f and 7d,
26 February 1886, page 7c,
2 March 1889, page 23b,
17 February 1893, page 7c;
photographs appear in the Observer,
27 February 1904, page 20a,
2 March 1907, page 31,
29 February 1908, page 31,
19 February 1923, page 7g.
The laying of the foundation stone of a showgrounds building is reported in the Advertiser,
26 October 1908, page 8d.
Photographs are in the Observer,
27 February 1904, page 25,
of men's and ladies' committees in the Chronicle,
20 February 1915, page 28; also see
17 February 1917, page 29,
24 February 1923, page 34,
23 February 1929, page 41,
1 March 1934, page 37.
Also see South Australia - Agricultural, Floricultural & Horticultural Shows .
Information on the Institute and its predecessor is in the Register,
28 January 1885, page 6 and
16 April 1885, page 6h,
18 and 24 September 1885, pages 7b and 7g.
"The Embezzlement Case" is in the Register,
11 March 1885, page 7g.
The need for a telephone service is canvassed in the Register,
17 and 26 March 1890, pages 5c and 5a,
29 April 1890, page 5f.
Also see South Australia - Communications - Telephones.
A locust plague is reported in the Register,
15 December 1890, page 5b.
Also see South Australia - Natural Disasters - Locusts.
Information on the Church of St Stephen is in the Observer,
10 September 1892, page 30a.
The Register of 23 January 1893 at page 6f says, inter alia:
The native name of [Mount Lofty] is, or was, You-re-illa and its meaning, as given by the Adelaide tribe to the late Dr Wyatt, was "two ears" from the resemblance of the highest points of Mount and Little Mount Lofty to the ears of a kangaroo.
14 January 1893, page 15g,
6 January 1894, page 2g,
8 January 1898, pages 18a-19a.
The golden wedding of Mr & Mrs Robert Jarrett is reported in the Register,
14 December 1895, page 5d.
Biographical of Mr & Mrs Robert Shueard are in the Register,
9 March 1898, page 6c.
The laying of the foundation stone of the Bible Christian Church is reported in the Advertiser,
10 July 1895, page 6d and
13 July 1895, page 15d
its opening in the Register,
25 October 1895, page 3h.
The golden wedding of Mr & Mrs Robert Jarrett is reported in the Observer,
21 December 1895, page 21b.
A meeting of gardeners to form a union is reported in the Register,
20 June 1899, page 3b.
Cherry growing is discussed in the Advertiser,
23 March 1912, page 21e.
Also see South Australia - Industries - Rural, Primary and Secondary - Fruit and Vegetables.
A snow fall is reported in the Chronicle,
3 August 1901, page 33c.
"Uraidla Relief Works" is in the Advertiser,
1 July 1902, page 6e.
Biographical details of Thomas Morris are in the Register,
25 August 1904, page 4i.
A field naturalists excursion is reported in the Register,
28 November 1905, page 9e.
A photograph of Mr W. Moulds is in the Observer,
27 January 1906, page 28,
of four generations of the Morris family on
20 May 1911, page 27.
The golden wedding of Mr & Mrs Moulds is reported upon in the Register,
11 January 1912, page 4h.
"A Woman's Enterprise [Mrs Holton]" is in the Observer,
30 August 1913, page 34b.
A photograph of the hotel is in The Critic,
28 October 1914, page 10.
Photographs of an Australia Day celebration are in The Critic,
16 August 1916, page 14.
The unveiling of the War Memorial is reported in the Advertiser,
27 March 1922, page 10b;
photographs are in the Chronicle,
1 April 1922, page 30.
Also see South Australia - World War I - Memorials to the Fallen.
The opening of the district hospital is reported in the Register,
26 October 1925, page 10a.
31 October 1925, page 19d.
Photographs are in the Observer,
31 October 1925, page 34.
A photograph of a football team is in the Observer,
31 October 1925, page 34.
Also see South Australia - Sport - Football.
Biographical details of George Prentice are in the Register,
20 February 1928, page 8h.
Uraidla - Obituaries
An obituary of Edmund Willcox is in the Register,
20 August 1895, page 6f,
of Thomas Collins on
26 April 1900, page 5a,
of Mrs Fearneyhough on
22 June 1911, page 12h.
An obituary of Mrs Mary Shueard is in the Observer,
26 October 1895, page 29a,
of William Moulds on
25 January 1919, page 34a,
of Frederick Lampert on
11 August 1928, page 49c.
An obituary of Dr J.F. Souter is in the Register,
28 February 1916, page 4g,
4 March 1916, page 39a,
of William Moulds on
20 January 1919, page 4g,
of Henry Stacy on
4 September 1920, page 7e.
NomenclatureThe name is derived from the Greek ouranios - 'heavenly'; in Greek mythology 'Urania' was the Muse of astronomy.
Parliamentary Paper 152/1872 has a map attached which shows 'Urania Homestead' in the Hundred of Maitland.
General NotesThe village is described in the Register,
2 May 1904, page 3b.
"Postal Matters at Urania" is in the Chronicle,
30 January 1886, page 7f.
- It was a great injustice that the people between Mount Rat and Maitland, a distance of 18 miles, should, after having a mail three times a week, be deprived of it and be obliged to go to Port Victoria or Maitland to obtain and post letters. He had counted 60 houses between [those two places]... The people of Urania had been paying for a mailbag for over three years and the letter returns at Maitland would tell how many letters had passed through the Urania bag. Then a large number of letters wee handed to the driver of the mail; in fact, more than were sent in the bag... They had waited long enough for a post office and meant to agitate until they got it...
A proposed school is discussed in the Chronicle,
9 June 1883, page 23e;
an Arbor Day is reported on
1 August 1896, page 25e.
Register, Also see South Australia - Education - Arbor Days
14 August 1894, page 6f.
Photographs of a pet show are in the Chronicle,
12 November 1931, page 32.
A photograph of "coursing men and their greyhounds" is in the Chronicle,
24 July 1909, page 20,
5 August 1911, page 31; also see
12 August 1911, page 32.
Also see South Australia -Sport - Coursing.
An obituary of George Greenslade is in the Observer,
25 December 1915, page 44a,
of Mrs William Hall on
26 August 1916, page 33b,
of William Hall on
5 May 1928, page 49b.
Information on S. Greenslade's farm is in the Observer,
1 December 1923, page 5a and
8 December 1923, page 27.
Reminiscences of John Collins and William Hall are in the Register,
1 and 8 July 1924, pages 14e and 8c.
A photograph of a cricket team is in the Chronicle,
6 July 1933, page 37.
NomenclatureUroonda Hill appears on a survey map of pastoral lease no. 74 of 1851 held by Hugh Proby 'at the Mookra (sic) Range' about 32 km NNE of Carrieton and this, no doubt, is the source of the name.
General NotesIts school opened in 1886 and closed in 1947.
A photograph of students is in the Observer,
25 June 1927, page 31.
NomenclaturePrior to 1859, Robert F. McGeorge built a home in the immediate district which he called Urrbrae, adopting the name of his native town of Urr in Scotland and, no doubt, Peter Waite, a fellow Scot, perpetuated the name.
General NotesPhotographs of an Adelaide Hunt Club meet are in the Chronicle,
26 September 1903, page 43.
Also see South Australia - Sport - Fox Hunting.
Information on its nomenclature is in the Advertiser,
5 November 1936, page 21a; also see
2 June 1928, page 12c.
"Gift of a Mansion and Park" is in the Register,
15 October 1913, page 14; also see
19 October 1915, page 4d,
4 September 1919, page 7e.
Mr Peter Waite's obituary is in the Register,
5 April 1922, pages 6d-7e and
and of his wife in the Register,
22 November 1922, page 7g,
25 November 1922, page 24c.
"Waite Research Institute - First in Australia" is in the Register,
19 November 1924, page 12a; also see
14 December 1925, page 12c,
8 September 1925, page 24.
"Work at Waite Institute" is in The News,
27 September 1927, page 14e,
11 September 1928, page 15,
"Progress of Waite Institute" in The Mail,
17 September 1927, page 1f,
"Training the Farmers of Tomorrow" on
11 March 1933, page 6f; also see
5 September 1936, page 4.
"A Handsome Gift [from John Melrose]" is in the Register,
20 and 21 July 1927, pages 8e-9b and 9g.
The laying of the foundation stone of the Melrose Laboratory is reported in the Advertiser,
27 January 1928, page 17e and
its opening on
23 April 1929, page 16c;
for that of the institute see
15 April 1930, page 16c.
Biographical details of Dr James Davidson are in the Register,
31 May 1928, page 11e.
A new agricultural school is discussed in the Register,
1 and 16 April 1926, pages 13f and 9e,
12 and 19 August 1926, pages 11c and 12a.
Photographs are in the Chronicle,
13 October 1928, pages 40-41,
4 December 1930, page 35.
"Girl's Work on Pasture Problem" is in the Advertiser,
4 September 1937, page 11g.
- Eleven years ago when the Waite Institute was founded - in the stables and coach house of the old Urrbrae estate - its only woman worker was Miss Winifred Peake, daughter of Mr A.H. Peake, a former Premier of South Australia. Her duties were purely clerical. It was not until 1931 that a woman scientist appeared. Miss Phylis Rountree, M Sc. of Melbourne, who specialised in bacteriology. She was followed by several young botany students "sorting grasses"- the work of clever fingers and quick eyes. Today, a staff of 15 women - mostly girls - is in daily attendance...
Utera PlainThe "Utera Springs" are described in the Register,
6 February 1888, page 5c and
"Utera Plains" on
16 November 1906, page 6c,
1 December 1906, page 14a.
- The Water Conservation Department has had a party of five men for the last two months engaged in laying a 2-inch water main pipe from the Utera Springs to the public road, a distance of 1 mile 44 chains. The springs are situated in a gorge at the foot of a very high hill... The supply is about 5,000 gallons per diem but this could be greatly increased by constructing a weir across the creek... [It] will be a great convenience to the settlers and travelling public.
An obituary of J. Deer is in the Register,
29 May 1906, page 7d,
2 June 1906, page 38c.
NomenclatureAboriginal for 'road'.
General NotesThe school opened in 1931.