English Language Learning Improvement Service
The State Library provides an English Language Learning Improvement Service (ELLIS) as a free service for people who are learning English as a foreign language and want to improve their language skills. ELLIS supplements other English language and literacy programs within South Australia by providing self-help materials and opportunities to improve conversation.
About ELLIS Desk & Conversation Groups
The ELLIS Desk and Conversation Groups are provided by competent volunteer tutors who are happy to assist customers who want to learn. They will:
- familiarise users with the collection's independent learning resources and equipment
- provide assistance with various aspects of English language
- assist with advice on pronunciation and understanding Australian idiom
- provide assistance in editing essays and writing letters, to a limit of two pages
- refer customers to other organisations where needs cannot be met by ELLIS.
Should you have a group who wish to be given an overview of the ELLIS service and resources, please visit:
and register your group for a guided tour.
Materials & Equipment
ELLIS has a self-help collection consisting of books, audio cassette kits, CD ROMs and Audio CDs. Materials cannot be borrowed from the State Library.
Many of the materials are labelled with coloured dots to make them easier for learners to find:
* DO NOT WRITE IN THE BOOKS. NOT EVEN IN PENCIL *
- ELLIS materials are to be used inside the main library area.
- Audio cassette players, CD, DVD, video players and special ELLIS computers are available for you to use with the electronic materials.
- Headphones are provided and these are cleaned after each use.
To book an ELLIS computer you need a State Library card. If you don't have one please ask at the Information Desk for further information or register for a State Library card online.
"Road to IELTS" (International English Language Testing System)
This software program is available on computers named ELLIS 1 & 2 located near the Information Desk.
- Book an ELLIS computer at the Information Desk.
- You can book up to two hours.
- Advanced bookings can be made for up to one day beforehand.
English language learning software programs on CD ROM are available (such as Issues in English or Dingo Bingo) and loaded for use on the computers numbered ELLIS 1 & 2.
- Book an ELLIS computer at the Information Desk and ask for the CD ROM.
- Headphones are attached to the computers.
- ELLIS Tutors can help you to choose an appropriate computer program and level.