National Archives at the State Library
Since August 2014 the Adelaide Office of the National Archives of Australia have provided services to the public from the Somerville Room in the State Library.
Researchers can access records of the Commonwealth government as well as the private archives held by the Library all in one place.
National Archives of Australia
The National Archives holds a diverse collection in Adelaide ranging from 19th century colonial records to substantial holdings on 20th century immigration and defence. Other areas of particular interest include:
- 19th century lighthouse log-books
- registers of deserters
- patent and copyright records
- the Defence Science and Technology Organisation records such as those relating to the Woomera testing site
- material relating to railways, and
- WW1 (Torrens Island) and WW2 (Loveday) internment.
If you have family who migrated to South Australia post World War II it is likely that we hold records relating to this. A significant part of the national collection has been digitised and available online.