Frequently Asked Questions
What do the programs cost?
- All State Library education programs are provided free of charge.
- All equipment and materials costs are covered by the State Library.
What pre-visit information will we receive?
- An email will be sent to the booking contact person to be distributed to all the attending teachers and adults. This will include all pre-visit information relevant to the booked program.
- Early years and primary programs will also receive an email invitation for the children.
What happens on arrival?
- Arrive prior to the start of the program, so that students can eat and access toilet facilities located on the ground floor behind the lift.
- If the weather is inclement a shelter area is located on the eastern side of the building between the State Library and the Museum’s armoury building.
- A staff member will meet your group in or near the main entrance (refer to your program booking).
What should we bring to an education program?
- Medication may be carried by the adult supervisor in a backpack.
- Please arrange name tags for early years and primary students.
- Devices are provided by the State Library, but we encourage senior secondary students to BYO devices.
- Students who wish to join the State Library and receive a library card need to do so before visiting the library and request the card to be mailed to them.
- Students wishing to access photocopying services will need to bring money.
- Storage is available to accommodate school bags or food/drink crates.
Do you have teacher tips for visiting the State Library for research?
- Discuss research topics with your students and the types of resources that might be useful.
- Students may wish to access a Library Guide relevant to research topics.
- Involve the school librarian in your students' research projects.
- Allocate sufficient time at the State Library for your research.
- Some collection items are in storage but you can request an item to be retrieved from storage via the catalogue before your visit. Find out more about the retrieval service.
- If you are intending to stay to use the resources after your program, you will need to book electronic database computers for your students to use.