Place Names of South Australia - A
Admiral Arch - Albert, Lake
Admiral ArchOn Kangaroo Island at Cape du Couedic. It was accepted in 1989 as a place name by the Department of Lands whose early maps and other sources do not reveal any evidence of it being "officially" named. Therefore, it can be reasonably assumed that it is a name applied by local citizens and adopted through common usage. It bears a resemblance to Admiralty Arch in London.
Sixteen kilometres south-east of Moonta; the name was taken from the local Agery Swamp and is a corruption of the Aboriginal ngadjali - 'pipe clay'.
A sketchy report of a copper discovery in the area is in
Record of the Mines of South Australia (fourth edition) page 159.
Also see South Australia - Mining - Copper.
The Agery Post Office stood on section 19, Hundred of Tiparra and opened in December 1890, while the Agery School opened in 1880 with Elisha Williams as teacher; it closed in 1982.
A photograph of a football team is in the Observer,
22 October 1910, page 30,
of Mr H.J. Coote's son and pet dog on
3 July 1915, page 29.
An obituary of Joseph E. Hicks is in the Observer,
24 March 1928, page 50a.
Ajax CreekThe mine was also known as "Emu Creek" and " Elvena" - details of it are in Record of the Mines of South Australia (fourth edition) page 20.
A corruption of the Aboriginal ngalawuna - 'place of hot winds'. The town, 35 km south of Loxton, was proclaimed on 9 July 1914.
In 1916 the Murray Pioneer sang the praises of the infant town and district:
- About 150 miles east of Adelaide, and situated on the Paringa line, there has recently arisen, amid the mallee, the foundations of a new and important town, destined within a few years, to become well known as one of the chief inland railway centres of the State. Here are awaiting golden opportunities for those who desire to obtain much wealth from the kindly soil and for those who prefer a business life; here lies the future trading centre of a very large district. Even today there exists that throbbing pulse of life that our fathers felt in the days when such cities as Ballarat and Broken Hill were in their infancy, and fortunes were made and spent with a total disregard for the future.
Around Alawoona, and as far as the eye can see still stands the mallee only awaiting the stroke of an axe to convert the district into fields of corn and pastures green for countless stock. Here, young men of the city, country, or returned from the war, await a future home, land - plenty of it too - cheap now in price, lightly timbered, with abundance of water to be obtained everywhere by boring, a first class railway service, and only your Australian pluck and energy needed to make you master of a payable proposition and your own farm. Bring your health and strength to Alawoona, together with a little capital. The climate will help you retain your health, and your capital will have every chance to grow into that nice little bank balance one and all desire so quickly to obtain.
The railway station is described in the Observer,
1 August 1914, page 47b:
Refreshments are provided at the railway station, but apart from this fact and that it is the junction of the Paringa and Loxton lines, there is nothing much to mark the difference between it and any other station on the line. There is the same little shelter shed with its few feet of platform and the same old jump from the footboard to the ground, a hazardous task for anyone carrying overweight, particularly when a shower has fallen. But the refreshment room is worthy of notice for it is many times larger than the most commodious structure supplied by the department on any of its old-established lines.
The walls are too far apart to be within vision and the leaden clouds above formed the roof. The counter consists of a packing case (for galvanised iron) with four deal legs tacked on, but as the passengers devoured the home made scones and pies in the rain they agreed there was nothing wanting.
Its school operated from 1 January 1915 until 1967 when it was consolidated with the Browns Well Area School.
A photograph of scrub rolling is in the Observer,
16 December 1922, page 45.
Also see South Australia - Industries - Rural, Primary & Secondary - Farming- Mallee and Dry Farming.
The opening of a new Institute hall is reported in the Advertiser,
26 January 1929, page 20d.
A photograph is in the Chronicle,
2 February 1929, page 16,
of a football team on
24 October 1935, page 36.
Honours Queen Victoria's consort and was laid out by W.R. Cave in 1877 on part sections 418 and 424, Hundred of Yatala. Mr Cave's obituary is in the Register, 7 July 1916, page 6c. It was advertised as:
- ... Where the soil is suitable for flower and market gardens, being rich alluvial soil, and lucerne now growing there most luxuriantly and water can be obtained at six feet... Carters... will find it excellently situated as a stopping place for their teams and also for loading at night, being favourably placed in respect both to Adelaide and Port Adelaide.
A football match against Woodville is reported in the Observer,
6 July 1878, page 8a; also see
21 August 1878, page 2e.
Also see South Australia - Sport - Football.
A local ostrich farm owned by Mr W.R. Cave is described in the Observer,
4 August 1883, page 12d,
6 February 1884, page 6g,
6 December 1884, page 5f,
5 December 1884, page 2d,
11 April 1885, page 38e, and
10 August 1886, page 5c.
Also see South Autralia - Industries - Rural, Primary & Secondary - Ostrich Farming.
"The Fatal Fight" is in the Register,
4 April 1888, page 7e.
Local piggeries and their proprietors in the Register,
23 July 1903, page 4g:
For many years modern-day Royal Park, together with a contiguous part of Albert Park, rejoiced in the name of 'Piggery Park'. In July 1903 the members of the Woodville Council received an eye-opener with regard to the rearing of pigs for market during their inspection of the piggeries at Albert Park. Later, several councillors proclaimed that they would never eat pork again. Several sties were comparatively clean but the majority were in a disgraceful state while the abodes of the owners of the animals were, in one or two instances, as bad as - if not worse than - the sties themselves.
Two of the piggeries inspected were the cause of many wry faces and the scent that assailed the nostrils of the diligent inspectors was in marked contrast to eau de cologne - a drop of which one councillor earnestly requested, but did not receive. Happily for the pride of the British race the owners of these piggeries were not descendants of John Bull, both being of foreign extraction.
In a small two-roomed house, with scarcely room to turn around, lived a man, his wife and seven children. The floor of the apartment in which the children slept had unmistakable evidence of the recent presence of poultry and pigs. The state of the house was a fair indication of the condition of the sties. The other habitation was also a two-roomed house. The man and his wife occupied one of the rooms, while five children slept in the other.
The owners of these properties were served with notices to abate the unsanitary conditions, while it was noted that most of the piggeries in the district were as clean as man could keep them and earned for their owners the commendation of the councillors.
7 March 1914, page 9f.
Biographical information on W.R. Cave is in the Register,
19 March 1900, page 5b,
Observer, 24 March 1900;
an obituary is in the Register, 7 July 1916, page 6c(8c?).
Historical information on the Albert Park Tramway is in the Register,
22 August 1913, page 7c.
Biographical details of Mrs Elizabeth L. Windsor are in the Observer,
19 April 1919, page 28c.
"A New Aerodrome" is in the Observer,
6 August 1927, page 35d.
Also see South Australia - Transport - Aeroplanes.
Information on a proposed oval is in The News,
16 January 1929, page 5b.
Albert Park - Obituaries
An obituary of Mrs Barton is in the Register,
17 December 1894, page 5b.
An obituary of W.D. Cook is in the Register,
5 July 1910, page 6h,
of R.W. Waters on 21 February 1912, page 7a,
of Mrs Elizabeth L. Windsor on 16 April 1919, page 6i,
of James Love on 28 May 1926, page 8h.
An obituary of A.E. Henderson is in the Observer,
8 July 1916, page 19c.
The narrow arm connecting Lake Alexandrina and Lake Albert escaped the notice of Captain Charles Sturt in 1830. The lake was discovered by Charles Bonney in 1839; he left Henty's station on the Glenelg River on 18 March 1839 with ten drovers and 300 head of cattle overlanding to South Australia. The party experienced some privations from heat and lack of water and after nineteen days reached Lake Albert. The cattle were subsequently driven on to pasturage near Gumeracha. Writing of discovery of the lake, Bonney stated later (circa 1890):
- The water we had come upon proved to be an extensive lake connected with the main body of Lake Alexandrina by a narrow channel and was afterwards named Lake Albert by Colonel Gawler.'
In a despatch of 5 September 1840, written from the 'sea mouth of the Murray'', Governor Gawler refers to 'a fine sheet of water to the southward of Lake Alexandrina, which I have named Lake Albert''. The discovery of the lake was claimed by Lieutenant (later Vice-Admiral) W.J.S. Pullen but Bonney's visit to the lake was apparently earlier. The Southern Australian, 19 January 1841, page 3b claims it was discovered ' by his Excellency [Gov Gawler]'.
The Commissioner of Police, Major T. O'Halloran, visited Lake Albert while investigating the murder by Aborigines of passengers and crew of the Maria which was wrecked on the Coorong Beach in 1840. In a report to Governor Gawler, O'Halloran said that on 2 September 1840, he had relieved Inspector Tolmer's party and:
- Swept the shore of Lake Albert (so named by Your Excellency after Her Majesty's royal consort). It is a fine body of water, to the south of Lake Alexandrina, and united to it by a narrow channel. An active search till evening along the Lake (Albert) and the inland country; I returned to it unsuccessful, having seen only a few natives at a great distance from us, and who, long before we could hear them, hid themselves in the high and thick reeds that encircle Lake Albert in one continued belt the whole of its shores as far as seen by us.
In 1844 Governor George Grey led a party to the South-East. On the outward trip Lake Albert was passed on 17 and 18 April but the expedition had reached the Coorong before it was joined by the Governor. The entrance to the lake was called ngoingho by the Aborigines - 'the going place'. ( See G. Taplin, Native Tribes of South Australia, page 130.)
It was late in 1866 when the notion was broached publicly of taking advantage of the lakes as a highway for the conveyance of Her Majesty's mail to the South-East. A few persons in Strathalbyn and Milang and the vicinity, animated by the most patriotic desire to serve the interests of the colony, formed a company to build a boat for the navigation of the lakes. When built she was 90 feet long with a draught, when laden, of 2 feet 5 inches. On 1 January 1868 she commenced her mail duties and the average number of passengers per trip was four. (Express & Telegraph, 27 December 1866, page 3, Register, 4 March 1867, page 3.)
A letter from E.C. Frome concerning his exploration is in the Register,
24 October 1840, page 4a.
The Southern Australian, 19 January 1841, page 3b claims it was discovered "by his Excellency [Gov Gawler]".
A trip on the lake is reported in the Express,
27 December 1866, page 3b,
17 January 1867, page 3d.
"A Pleasure Trip on the Lakes" is in the Register,
4 March 1867, page 3b; also see
26 March 1867, page 2g.
On Christmas Day, 1866, a party went across Lake Alexandrina into Lake Albert on a pleasure excursion. It was also intended to be a trial trip of a new steamboat, launched by the Lake Alexandrina Navigation Company, and arrangements were made with Messrs Cobb and Co. to start a coach on Monday, the 24th, to take such excursionists as might wish to avail themselves of a short holiday. A number of persons left Adelaide accordingly, although not so many as anticipated. On Christmas morning a coach and six left Strathalbyn and arrived at Milang after a pleasant ride shortly before 8 o'clock and, in about an hour, the steamer Telegraph left the jetty for her trip across the lake. The engines, which were of 30 horsepower, were made by Messrs Horwood & Ellis, Hindley Street.
The splendid scenery of the lake was greatly enjoyed and the steamer was within two or three miles of Meningie, when a man named Joseph Turvey, who was seated upon the lower of the guard ropes, engaged in a conversation with a Mr. Hamlin, suddenly fell outwards into the lake the rope having slipped from under him. Two boats were put off, in one of which was Mr. Hutton of Aldinga. Turvey was not seen again and it was supposed that he had been struck by the paddle and rendered insensible at once... This melancholy event saddened every heart and, accordingly, the steamer did not go on to Meningie but returned to Milang.
On the way back the rudder broke and for a time the vessel became unmanageable owing to the roughness of the lake. This caused considerable alarm also, but in a short time another rudder was improvised. Later it was learned that Mr. Turvey had left a wife and six children and that Mrs Turvey was expecting confinement with a seventh child.
A few words in respect of the history of the Telegraph will not be out of place. It was late in 1866 when the notion was broached publicly of taking advantage of the lakes as a highway for the conveyance of Her Majesty's mail to the South-East. A few persons in Strathalbyn and Milang and the vicinity, animated by the most patriotic desire to serve the interests of the colony, formed a company to build a boat for the navigation of the lakes. When built she was 90 feet long with a draught, when laden, of 2 feet 5 inches. On 1 January 1868 she commenced her mail duties and the average number of passengers per trip was four.
The Lake Alexandrina Steam Navigation Company was formed in August 1866, the provisional directors being Messrs W. Colman, A.H. Landseer, W. Gosling, Dr Herbert J. Close and P. Pavy.
The entrance to the lake was called ngoingho by the Aborigines - "the going place". (G. Taplin. Native Tribes of South Australia, page 130.)
"Old Time Memories" by Thomas Giles is in the Observer,
4 January 1890, page 41b.
Reminiscences of kangaroo hunting in the district are in the Register,
3 January 1890, page 7a; also see note Place Names - Wellington.
An ostrich farm established on Lake Albert Peninsula by Thomas Bowman is described in the Register,
17 February 1893, page 5b; see
29 July 1905, page 6i for information on the export of birds to Western Australia.
Photographs are in the Observer,
30 April 1904, page 23.
Also see South Australia - Industries - Rural, Primary & Secondary - Ostrich Farming.
Reminiscences of life on the pastoral station in the early days are in the Observer,
5 October 1907, page 41c;
its sale is reported in the Observer,
11 October 1902, page 33b.
Information on "Campbell House" is in the Observer,
2 and 30 April 1904, pages 23-24a and 23.
A horse race meeting is reported in the Observer,
19 January 1895, page 17d.
"Lake Albert Races" is in the Observer,
25 January 1913, page 22e.
Also see South Australia - Sport - Horse Racing.
A proposed reclamation scheme is discussed in the Register,
11 May 1905, page 5c,
"Big Reclamation Scheme" in the Advertiser,
22 June 1921, page 7e.
The third Lake Albert Show is reported in the Register,
20 October 1909, page 5h.
Also see Agricultural Floricultural and Horticultural Shows.
An obituary of Allan McFarlane is in the Observer,
14 March 1908, page 40a.
"Draining the Lakes - A Feasible Scheme" is in the Register,
25 February 1928, page 12a,
7 March 1928, page 15g.
"Save Lake Albert" is in The Mail,
26 January 1929, page 2d.