State Library of South Australia
Manning Index of South Australian History
  • South Australia
  • Adelaide
  • Port Adelaide
  • Place Names

  • About the Index
  • Searching
  • Text-based menus
    (Use this option if your browser will not open the folders.)

    Place Names of South Australia - B

    Bungala, River - Burford Gardens

    Bungala, River


    In the Hundred of Yankalilla, an Aboriginal name adopted for a house built on section 1171 by Eli Butterworth circa 1860. He and his brother John owned and operated a steam powered flour mill on adjoining land. The house has been restored and today it is a gracious home of 16 rooms.

    General Notes

    The laying of the foundation stone of a bridge is reported in the Observer,
    28 March 1868, page 5f.

    Information on the river is in the Register,
    19 June 1909, page 11d,
    30 July 1909, page 9c.

    Historical details of Bungala House are in the Observer, 11 March 1922, page 28c:

    Bungala, River - Burford Gardens
    Place Names



    In 1893, H.C. Talbot was informed by an old colonist, Mr Beare: 'In 1841 James Hawker camped with sheep at a waterhole in their country, which they called "Bungaree''.' The Aborigines knew the district as watchenappee.

    General Notes

    Information on early settlement is in the Register,
    11 April 1881, page 1c (supp.).

    A shearing match is discussed in the Observer,
    2 December 1848, page 4c.
    "The Shearing at Bungaree" is in the Advertiser,
    6 November 1880, page 6e.
    Also see South Australia - Industries - Rural, Primary and Secondary - Sheep and Shearing.

    The opening of Saint Michael's Church is reported in the Register,
    14 November 1864, page 3e.
    Information on the church and the school is in the Advertiser,
    10 April 1875, page 2f.

    Its school opened in 1868 and closed in 1931.

    A horse race meeting is reported in the Register,
    16 November 1870, page 3f.
    Also see South Australia - Sport - Horse Racing.

    The district is described in the Register,
    5 October 1874, page 6d and
    the station on
    28 November 1903, page 8e.
    Sketches are in the Pictorial Australian in
    August 1881, page 120,
    September 1887, page 136,
    27 May 1905, page 25.

    Biographical details of John Noble are in the Observer,
    3 October 1903, page 23a;
    an obituary appears on 18 July 1914, page 39b.

    "The Bungaree Stud and Flock" is in the Observer,
    31 October 1903, page 13d.

    "North Bungaree - Sold to the Government" is in the Register,
    25 July 1913, page 13c.

    "Station Hand Charged With Murder" is in the Express,
    13 September 1915, page 4g,
    6 and 13 November 1915, pages 24b and 45a.

    An obituary of James Caden is in the Observer,
    24 November 1917, page 40a.

    Bungala, River - Burford Gardens
    Place Names


    In the Far North. Aboriginal for "white ribs" - the adjacent hills resemble in one aspect the ribs of a camel - see Observer, 26 October 1889, page 34d.

    Bungala, River - Burford Gardens
    Place Names



    A railway station on the Cummins-Buckleboo line in the Hundred of Solomon south-west of Kimba. T Aboriginal for 'long distance' or 'far away'.

    General Notes

    A photograph of water tanks at the railway siding is in the Chronicle,
    5 May 1923, page 31.

    Bungala, River - Burford Gardens
    Place Names

    Bunyip Bend


    On the River Murray, Hundred of Murtho about 46 km above the present-day site of Renmark. The paddle-steamer Bunyip was burnt there on 9 December 1863.

    General Notes

    Also see Place Names - Murray River.

    An account of the steamer's first voyage up the Murray is in the Observer,
    6 February 1858, page 3h,
    2, 5 and 6 January 1864, pages 3b, 2h and 3e,
    17 February 1864, page 2g.

    A first-hand account of her loss, narrated by Mr E.B. Scott, is in the Register,
    1 March 1902, page 8g:

    Also see
    14 December 1863, page 4c for W.R. Randell's account.

    Bungala, River - Burford Gardens
    Place Names


    See Barker, Mount.

    Bungala, River - Burford Gardens
    Place Names

    Burdett, Hundred of


    The Hundred was named after Baroness Burdett-Coutts. When she was 23 she inherited immense wealth (almost £2m) from the estate of her grandfather, Thomas Coutts, a prominent banker. The Prince of Wales (later King Edward VII) described her as 'after my mother, the most remarkable woman in the kingdom'.

    General Notes

    "Our Building Stone - A Trip to the Burdett Quarry" is in the Chronicle,
    5 October 1901, page 31e;
    a photograph appears on
    12 September 1903, page 44 - Also see South Australia - Industries - Rural, Primary and Secondary - Building Stone:

    Its school operated from 1902 until 1935; see Register,
    30 November 1911, page 3e,
    9 December 1911, page 18a.

    Biographical details of Baroness Burdett-Coutts are in the Advertiser,
    10 April 1860, page 3d;
    her obituary is in the Register,
    1 January 1907, pages 6d-8c;
    also see 5 January 1907, page 8d,
    4 February 1907, page 8e.

    Bungala, River - Burford Gardens
    Place Names

    Burford Gardens


    A subdivision of part section 1001, Hundred of Port Adelaide by W.H. Burford & Sons Ltd in 1922 'for the benefit of employees and others who desire to reside close to their work in a great industrial centre...' Now included in Dry Creek.

    General Notes

    Also see Adelaide - Factories and Mills.

    William Burford (1807-1895), the founder of the Company, arrived in South Australia in 1838 in the Pestonjee Bomanjee after which he started soap-making, but he over-reached himself and became bankrupt in 1841.

    "Soap boiling" at a city factory is reported in the Register,
    25, 26 and 30 January 1855, pages 2e-4b, 3e and 2d.

    A letter from W.H. Burford, headed "Soap Factories", is in the Register,
    30 June 1866, page 3b. On 27 August 1875 he had a letter published in the Register, page 5b when, on the subject of taxation, he said, inter alia, "the only legitimate sources of taxation are unquestionably property and income..."

    A complaint about the factory is in the Register, 27 May 1884, page 4g.
    Also see Adelaide - Public Nuisances.

    The company's factory in Sturt Street is described in the Register,
    3 November 1886, page 3h; also see
    20 November 1897, page 7a.
    9 May 1891, page 31a,
    1 September 1894, page 29d.
    His obituary appears on
    24 October 1895, page 6g.

    The company's jubilee is reported in the Advertiser,
    4 November 1890, page 6f and
    its history in the Chronicle,
    26 September 1896 (supplement),
    Weekly Herald,
    31 August 1901, page 3,
    3 February 1923, page 12d:

    An employees' picnic on Mr Ragless' paddock on the South Road is reported in the Register,
    5 November 1889, page 7g,
    5 November 1891, page 6e;
    7 November 1891, page 7d,
    14 March 1896, page 13e,
    Weekly Herald,
    2 December 1899, page 7b,
    17 November 1902, page 4e.
    20 November 1905, page 7f.
    Also see Adelaide - Picnics and Holidays.

    Information on the company's toilet soaps is in the Register,
    27 August 1894, page 5b.

    Photographs of the company's exhibits at a Chamber of Manufactures Exhibition are in the Chronicle,
    15 April 1905, page 28,
    of the Dry Creek factory on
    25 November 1922, page 32.

    Information on the Hindmarsh factory is in the Register,
    23 November 1906, page 7d.
    Also see Place Names - Hindmarsh.

    Biographical details of a long-time employee, Mr John W. Slattery, are in the Register,
    13 March 1918, page 8f,
    Express, 13 August 1918, page 3c,
    of F.A. Bowen in the Register, 23 June 1928, page 18h.

    The reminiscences of a long-time company employee, Mr F.A. Bowen, are in The Mail,
    19 May 1928, page 10a.

    Information on the project at Dry Creek is in the Register,
    28 April 1919, page 4d,
    1 May 1919, page 4e.
    "A Fine New Factory" is in the Advertiser,
    16 June 1920, page 9c,
    "Huge Soapworks" on
    22 November 1922, page 7c.
    22 November 1922, page 9f.

    "South Australia's First Garden Suburb" is in the Express,
    5 April 1923, page 3d,
    "New Industrial Suburb to be Created" in The Mail,
    7 April 1923, page 7g; also see
    The News,
    4 April 1927, page 6e.
    Information on the subdivision is in the Register,
    13 July 1922, page 7a-c,
    5 April 1923, page 9f,
    7 August 1924, page 4c.

    An obituary of William Burford, senior, is in the Chronicle,
    26 October 1895, page 21c and
    his wife on 22 February 1902, page 31b;
    that of their son is in The News,
    6 March 1925, page 5e,
    14 March 1925, page 27a,
    of F.R. Burford on 25 August 1928, page 49a;
    also see Register, 11 December 1915, page 8i.

    A photograph of and information on the Burford brothers are in the Observer,
    1 September 1917, pages 25-28b.

    An obituary of Mrs Mary Burford is in the Register,
    13 May 1921, page 8d,
    of William Burford on 7 March 1925, page 9f,
    of Frederick R. Burford on 17 August 1928, page 13b.

    Biographical details of J.T. Davies are in the Register,
    20 July 1928, page 12b.

    Bungala, River - Burford Gardens