Place Names of South Australia - D
Dublin - Duttonton
- Duck Ponds
- Dudley Park
- Duffield, Hundred of
- Dukes Highway
- Duncan, Hundred of
- Dunn Bridge
- Dunn, Lake
- Dutchmans Stern, The
DublinAlso see Place Names - Parham.
Governor MacDonnell named the Hundred of Dublin after his birthplace in Ireland.
The laying of the foundation stone of the Primitive Methodist Chapel is reported in the Register,
3 October 1873, page 5d.
A horse race meeting is reported in the Observer,
27 March 1875, page 4d.
Also see South Australia - Sport - Horse Racing
Details of those who purchased lots in the town are in the Register,
27 May 1876, page 6e;
it is described on
8 January 1904, page 6d.
The school opened in 1881 and closed in 1971.
For further information see Observer,
9 November 1878, page 10g
15 March 1879, page 6e,
12 April 1879, page 22a and
10 November 1880, page 4g,
13 November 1880, page 838d Life Around the Light, page 124.
Information on the water supply is in the Express,
6 November 1878, page 2f,
16 September 1882, page 29a,
19 March 1885, page 6c,
4 September 1885, page 7b.
Also see South Australia - Water Conservation
A ploughing match and a Show is reported in the Advertiser,
25 September 1880, page 5b; also see
7 October 1882, page 13a,
21 September 1883, page 5g,
8 October 1887, page 23b.
Also see South Australia - Industries - Rural, Primary and Secondary - Ploughing Matches
"Dam at Dublin" is in the Register,
14 September 1882, page 5c.
The capture of a "bunyip" by Mr W.H. Cornish and subsequent events appear in the Register,
19 August 1884, page 5b.
Also see South Australia - Flora and Fauna - Bunyips
"The Shannon Show" is reported in the Chronicle,
3 October 1885, page 22c.
Also see South Australia - Agricultural, Floricultural & Horticultural Shows
The laying of the foundation stone of the Christ Church is reported in the Observer,
22 May 1886, page 29b.
Information on an ostrich farm is in the Register,
10 August 1886, page 5c.
Also see South Australia - Industries - Rural, Primary and Secondary - Ostrich Farming
A sports day is reported in the Chronicle,
14 January 1893, page 15g.
"The Dublin Tragedy" is in the Express,
1 November 1902, page 1d,
10 December 1902, page 1e.
The town and district are described in the Register,
8 January 1904, page 6d.
A photograph of a football team is in the Observer,
16 September 1911, page 30,
and the opening of the memorial hall in the Chronicle,
28 August 1920, page 26,
28 August 1920, page 24,
of hay carting by Mr Bubner in the Chronicle,
14 June 1934, page 37.
Dublin - Obituaries
An obituary of Mrs Henry Pritchard is in the Register, 4 September 1897, page 5d,
Observer, 4 September 1897, page 29a,
of Henry Pritchard on 22 July 1899, page 22d.
An obituary of William Smith is in the Register, 14 January 1916, page 4f,
of Mrs Mary E.C. Burton on 3 February 1917, page 9a,
of Charles S. Burnard on 21 July 1928, page 7e.
The name of a creek which flows near Moculta; it appears on a survey map of 1842. In the early days wild ducks were numerous and wheat, which had been hand broadcasted, could not be left uncovered overnight. William Shannon, an early settler, called his home 'Duck Ponds'
Mr A. Shannon's farm is described in the Register,
8 May 1862.
An obituary of Mrs Mary Tucknott is in the Register,
6 August 1927, page 11e.
The Hundred of Dudley was named by Governor Musgrave after his wife's father, Dudley Field, an American jurist.
A school on Kangaroo Island opened as "Hill River" in 1880;
changed to "Hill River South" in 1885 and to "Dudley" in 1905;
closed in 1941.
The Hundred and some of its settlers are described in the Register,
8 April 1905, page 7c,
8 April 1908, page 7a:
Both the soil and timber are good and, from Willson's orchard, apples were being picked and stored in cases betwixt layers of dry grass to preserve them from the constant attentions of the Rosella parrot... At a point between Cape Hart and False Cape the property of Mr. William Lyall is situated. Its owner may be justly termed one of the hardest workers on the Island. From here a glorious view of the Southern Ocean is obtainable, with Flour Cask and Pennington Bays in the distance. The country traversed to this point is inhabited by wild goats and wild sheep which run like wallaby through the dense thickets of scrub when disturbed. These, with iguanas lazing in the sun in the middle of our track, lent additional interest to the trip...
The Earl of Dudley, who was Governor-General of Australia from 1908-1911.
The subdivision is advertised in the Register, 30 October 1909, page 9a:
Dudley Park - On the Hill at Prospect - Now for Sale this Beautifully Situated Estate - Dudley Park has a regular tram service and will soon be electrified. Deep drainage, gas electric lighting and water are available...
The Governor General and his wife, the Countess of Dudley, visited South Australia from 21 January 1909 until 15 March 1909 - refer to newspapers of the day.
Duffield, Hundred of
This name appears several times on the map of South Australia in honour of Walter Duffield, the noted pastoralist and founder and owner, with Mr T.S. Porter, of Koonoona, a freehold station near Burra. He arrived in South Australia in 1839 and settled near Echunga until 1847, when he moved to Gawler. In 1857 he was elected to Parliament and had an honoured career in both houses of the legislature, finally retiring in 1879 due to ill health.
Also see South Australia - Politics
A school of this name opened in 1912 and closed in 1916.
Walter Duffield's obituary is in theRegister,
6 November 1882, page 6b.
The title of the main road into Victoria, via Bordertown, named after HRH, The Duke of York, who later became King George VI.
Its proposed construction is traversed in the Observer,
6 August 1927, page 28b,
19 August 1927:
Settlers along the proposed straight route to Melbourne, to be known as Duke's Highway, have made generous offers of assistance to the promoters of the scheme... At Cooke's Plains high land avoiding the swamp has been offered free to allow the government to keep the road straight. At Coomandook, also, many generous offers of help, in the way of materials, labour and so forth, have been made. Coonalpyn will also render valuable assistance. On the way to Tintinara, on the property of Tregonning brothers, is 10,000 yards of stone, in large heaps adjacent to the proposed railway...
23 February 1928, page 10h,
4 and 26 September 1928, pages 12d and 10c.
Photographs of its construction are in the Chronicle,
14 July 1932, page 34.
DulkaninnaA coal discovery is reported in the Express,
9 April 1885, page 2c.
A subdivision of section 263, Hundred of Adelaide by John Hector (c.1788-1863) in 1854 and named after a town in Surrey, England.
Information on Mr L. Mehrtens' bone crushing factory is in the Register,
25 August 1868, page 2f.
The Register of 13 January 1871 reports the formation of a Suburban Nuisance Suppression Society which declared it had Mr Mehrtens' Bone Mill at Dulwich in its sights. Mr F. Wurm comes to Mr Mehrtens' defence on 14 January 1871, page 5d when he says:
If these gentlemen would follow up the stench... they would have found one or more dead horses lying within a few hundred yards of the mill property... I cannot say that he [turns] stone into gold but he merely [succeeds] in equivalent by raising the filth that poisons our backyards into a commercial article... It would do good in the hearts of some of the [complainants] if their families enjoyed such ruddy cheeks and signs of health as the labourers and their families that live on the premises.
[It] is one of the most dangerous and abominable nuisances existing in South Australia... during the last hot weather every door and window had to be kept closed [in the district]... When the wind blows from the south [the stench] can be [smelt] from Marryatville to East Terrace... We paid a visit to the premises and saw tons of decaying animal matter... The labourers we saw... looked anything but healthy, but perhaps as it was early in the morning they had not inhaled sufficient of the odour to bring the ruddy glow into their cheeks...
17, 28 and 30 January 1871, pages 6b, 6c-f and 6e,
1 and 23 February 1871, pages 6b and 6d,
3 April 1871, page 6a.
Mr Mehrtens belated response to the complaint appears on
23 June 1871, page 5f; also see
24 June 1871, page 5e and Adelaide - Public Nuisances.
Further information on Mr Mehrtens and his mills is in the Observer,
22 August 1868, page 9a.
An explosion at the works and resultant mayhem is reported on
9 December 1881, page 5c.
An outbreak of typhoid fever is reported in the Register, 28 December 1901, page 4i:
Cases of typhoid fever were reported in Dulwich in 1901 - The waste water from five houses on the east side of Mill Street drained into the road, whence it found its way into a paddock nearby and formed a stagnant pool. This had a green, slimy bottom which, when disturbed, emitted an offensive odour and it was considered to be a menace to the health of the locality. Many complaints had been made about the water supply and there was no doubt that it was far from pure, at times a very foul odour being distinctly apparent...
The diamond wedding of Mr & Mrs Ernest Bends is reported in the Register,
12 March 1912, page 7b.
Information on a proposed tram service appears on
20 January 1914, page 6f; also see
7 March 1914, page 18g.
"Tram Fares" is in the Express,
1 April 1914, page 3d.
Also see Adelaide - Transport - Tramways
Biographical details of Ebenezer Barlow is in the Register, 2 March 1918, page 6h
of Robert Mitchell in The Critic, 27 September 1922, page 5,
of William H. Whittle in the Register, 31 January 1925, page 8h,
of A.J.L. Reynolds in the Observer, 19 March 1927, page 27d,
of W.W. Stock in the Register, 5 July 1928, page 11c, 2 August 1928, page 13b (obit.).
The laying of the foundation stone of St Peter Claver's Church School is reported in the Advertiser,
16 June 1919, page 11d.
Photographs are in the Observer,
21 June 1919, page 28.
Information on a Church of Christ is in the Register,
31 May 1920, page 4h.
"The Growth of Dulwich" is in the Register,
31 January 1923, page 8a.
Dulwich - Obituaries
An obituary of J.A. Plunkett is in the Register, 15 May 1912, page 6g.
An obituary of Mrs Henriette Leunig is in the Observer, 23 May 1914, page 39b,
of Harry Olifent on 5 February 1916, page 46a,
of Mrs Eliza Thomas on 31 March 1917, page 15a,
of T.W. Tait on 30 August 1924, page 27b,
of Mrs Elizabeth McKinnon on 11 April 1925, page 45b,
of Mrs A. Murphy on 19 May 1928, page 32c, 2 June 1928, page 49a.
An obituary of Bernard Donnelly is in the Register, 4 February 1920, page 6h,
of Samuel Tuckwell on 20 September 1924, page 8g,
of G. Degenhardt on 1 May 1925, page 12f,
of Mrs Martha Cousin on 8 May 1925, page 12d,
of Frederick W. Bayne on 27 June 1925, page 5d,
of L. Holmes on 14 June 1926, page 6g.
An obituary of Mrs A. Murphy is in the Register, 17 and 31 May 1928, pages 11g and 11d,
of John H. Goodfellow on 13 August 1928, page 11g.
Duncan, Hundred of
.J. Duncan, MP (1871-1890), MLC (1891-1913). Born at Fife, Scotland in 1845 he arrived in South Australia in 1854. As a member for Wallaroo he was one of the first returned by a labour organisation. He resigned from parliament to take a prominent part in the National League, a conservative association which opposed the Labor Movement. An impetuous speaker he was said to 'wing a sparrow by his gunshot and disjoint his own shoulder with the recoil'. He prided himself on differing from his opponents 'with honour and without estrangement'. He died at North Adelaide in 1913 and is buried at Penwortham, south of Clare.
Also see South Australia - Politics
A complimentary dinner to Mr Duncan at Kadina is reported in the Register,
5 January 1872, page 6a; also see
14 January 1878, page 6d,
19 January 1878, page 10b for a similar event at Wallaroo Bay and
27 February 1897, page 43a.
Biographical information is in the Observer,
31 August 1889, page 33b,
4 January 1902,
2 February 1911, page 6h;
information on his knighthood is in the Advertiser,
15 June 1912, pages 18d-19e and
an interview in The Mail,
16 August 1913, page 8c;
his obituary is in the Register,
9 October 1913, pages 6e-7a-8b.
His wife's obituary is in theObserver,
18 June 1927, page 44d.
DunleathInformation on the subdivision is in The News, 23 March 1925, page 4b:
Better known as Sandison's it comprises some of the most desirable building land in the rapidly expanding seaside resort of Glenelg. Situated almost adjoining Miller's Corner Railway Station and opposite Helmsdale and the Glenelg Oval it is little more than a half-mile from the esplanade and the beach...
In the Hundred of Hall. Probably James Dunn (1809-1867), who took up section 2093, 'Wakefield River' in 1851 'on the road from Port Wakefield to the Burra'.
The Register of 13 May 1869, page 2b says "[it] is a singular structure, built after a model long since become extinct, if indeed it ever had an original..."
An account of an "incendiary fire" on Mr Charles Merrett's farm at Dunn Bridge is in the Register,
2 March 1870, page 3f.
The bridge was destroyed by fire in 1878 - see Register,
19 September, page 5a:
The bridge was destroyed by fire in September 1878 - 'The settlers will be prevented from carting firewood and other timber and great inconvenience will be felt by travellers to and from Auburn, Clare and other places.'
A report of the opening of a new bridge appears in the Register,
6 December 1880, page 5b.
Named after the Dunn family, early settlers in the Hundred of Waterhouse; now known as 'Lake Fellmongery' because, in the early days, animal hides and skins were treated there.
Andrew Dunn's obituary is in the Observer,
21 December 1901, page 33d.
A subdivision of section 180, Hundred of Noarlunga into 14 allotments by David Sutherland in 1862 and derived from the Gaelic druim-rabhain - 'hill ridge with the long grass'.
In 1858 Mr Sutherland had an altercation with Mr R.B. Colley in respect of sections 177-180 of "Survey B' - see Parliamentary Paper 156/1858 where, in a memorial to government, he said, inter alia, " ... [Colley], with other persons, broke down the fences erected by the petitioner, in order to open the road..."
The Register of
7 June 1867, page 4c advertises the sale of "Dunrobin Estate... comprising sections 177-178-179... containing about 240 acres, dwelling house, cottages... and shrubberies of 25 years growth..."
A photograph of Dunrobin House is in the Observer,
25 April 1925, page 34.
Parliamentary Paper 222/1877 contains a petition from Mr Sutherland seeking recompense from the government for services rendered in the past for which he had received no remuneration. Also see Register, 11 October 1877, page 5a.
A ploughing match is reported in the Observer, 29 August 1874, page 17d:
A ploughing match took place in August 1874 on a section belonging to Mr. King... A prettier spot could scarcely have been selected, for not alone was the drive to reach it a delightful one, but the surrounding scenery was most picturesque. The ground was somewhat stiff for ploughing as it had not been turned over for several years... The competitors in the ploughing numbered 20 and there was more than one acknowledged expert amongst them... Host Hoppel of the Thatched House Tavern had a comfortable booth erected for the sale of liquids and there was also stalls for fruit and other solid refreshments. The prizes were awarded by Hon. J. Crozier, MLC who, with the judges, was afterwards entertained at supper by Mr. King at his residence close by...
A ploughing match and horse show on Mr M. Dwyer's Dunrobin Estate is reported in the Chronicle,
25 August 1888, page 23b.
David Sutherland's obituary is in the Observer, 6 September 1879, page 12b and
his biography in the Register on 18 April 1925, page 14;
also see The News, 18 May 1925, page 6e,
Advertiser, 19 May 1925, page 18f.
An obituary of his daughter, Caroline Sutherland, is in the Chronicle,
16 June 1928, page 58.
DustholesAlso see Old Stockyard Waterhole.
The name was adopted from the name of Lachlan McBean's station held under occupation licence from the early 1840s later to become leases no. 39, 127 and 339 from July 1851, 'North of Moorundie'.
The area is described in the Register,
27 March 1856, page 2f-h,
8 April 1904, page 7h:
On arrival at the Old Stockyard - which, by the way, a stranger will not find, unless he takes particular instructions at Truro - we proceeded to give our horses water which rises in a high rock, covered with teatrees... A government survey has been made recently of the surrounding land... As the land is marked out there appears to be only one road to the water, so that the owner of the section surrounding it, Mr. McBean, has a virtual monopoly of what ought, by half a dozen roads to have been thrown open to the public... The road to the river is monotonous... All along the route empty flasks of every description may be seen - pale ales, London stouts, Martell's, Hennessy's, square Schiedams and unlabelled bottles in abundance. These memorials of a thirsty race are interspersed with the skeletons of hapless bullocks... In fact, bottles and bones are the characteristics of the Moorundee scrub.... Our halting place on the Murray was the old Whipstick, a house built by Mr. Heywood who owns the run...
"Heavy Damages for Libel" is in the Register, 30 June 1863, page 3a:
We see from the Melbourne Age that Mr. Lachlan McBean, formerly a resident in Adelaide and the holder of a station near Moorundie on the Murray was the subject of an action for libel which resulted in heavy damages...
"Will of the late Lachlan McBean" is in the Chronicle,
24 February 1894, page 23b,
1 September 1894, page 8c,
an obituary of Alexander McBean is in the Observer,
7 February 1903, page 33a.
Dutchmans Stern, The
It was probably named by early settlers (possibly of Scottish descent) because it terminates in a supposed resemblance to the stern of a Dutch vessel - in Scotland there is an island called the 'Dutchman's Cap' near the Island of Mull.
Reports in newspapers suggest it may have been named by Dr G.H. Bruhn - see Observer,
1 September 1849, page 2e,
1 September 1849, page 3c:
Dr Bruhn has sent for our inspection a series of pencil sketches of scenes in the interior, some of them distant 300 miles or more. We have, thus, for the first time, been enabled to form accurate conceptions of the more distant ranges, some of which have queer and yet appropriate designations - the Dutchman's Stern, for instance, as also the cattle and sheep stations and police stations... As the doctor intends to have the sketches lithographed by subscription, we hope they will be entrusted to an artist of merit...
DuttonA correspondent to the Adelaide Times, 24 June 1851, page 3d is obviously unimpressed with Mr F.S. Dutton's political acumen:
I see... that Mr Dutton modestly compares himself to the string of a fiddle. Now a fiddle is an instrument that requires great care in handling, and the performer must be very clever to draw sounds from it agreeable to the ear. It must be confessed that [he] has been played on by a variety of persons, from the Governor down to his filus Achates, the plasterer Bryan, and yet without producing a single agreeable note to any one boasting of being in a state of compos mentis. It must therefore be presumed that Mr D., in introducing the simile, was thinking of the composition of the article in question, and really meant to compare himself to the gut of a cat.
On 25 July 1851, page 2e the Editor of the Adelaide Times enters the lists:
As was sufficiently foretold, the buoyancy - the versatility - the chameleon character of Mr Dutton's politics beats buffoonery and honesty hollow... [His name] is on everyone's lips as only another term for harlequin. No one is taken by surprise that he wears a coat of every colour... What is contemptible, however, is never respectable, and the shuffling knavery of some characters only fills the mind with loathing and amazement.
"Mr Dutton's Defence" is in the Chronicle,
23 April 1870, page 8c.
Biographical information on Mr F.S. Dutton is in the Observer,
26 April 1873, page 15e and
a portrait in the Australasian Sketcher,
19 April 1873, page 12;
an obituary is in the Register,
29 January 1877, page 5f.
The laying of the foundation stone of the Congregational Church is reported in the Chronicle, 7 December 1878, page 22a:
The foundation stone of the Congregational Church was laid on 25 November 1878. Hitherto the English residents of Dutton have held fortnightly services in the German Church, the only place of worship in the township... The ceremony was performed by Miss Christina Scott, daughter of Mr. Thomas Scott, JP, who gifted the land... The contractor is Mr. Heinrich A. Hamdorf of Dutton...
The Dutton School near Truro opened in 1880 and closed in 1955;
Dutton East School existed from 1928 until 1955, while Dutton North School was extant from 1914 to 1927.
The Mount Dutton School on Eyre Peninsula opened in 1884 and closed in 1890.
Information on working men's blocks near "Dutton Town" is in the
12 May 1886, page 5e.
Also see Place Names - Hundred of Cotton
An obituary of William Brook(s) is in the Register,
2 and 4 July 1904, pages 4a and 3e,
9 July 1904, page 34d,
of Mrs Ann Brook on 1 August 1908, page 40a,
of R.C.E. Philps in the Register,
26 November 1913, page 14a,
of Thomas Brook in the Observer,
11 December 1915, page 28b,
of Edwin Rice in the Register,
18 March 1925, page 12e.
A proposed jetty at Mottled Cove is discussed in the Observer,
18 June 1910, page 17a,
1 October 1910, page 46c,
24 February 1912, page 17d:
Settlers in the Hundred of Butler and the district adjoining Mottled Cove (Dutton Bay) are anxiously awaiting some movement towards the long promised jetty at that port. Under the present conditions the settlers are suffering greater disadvantages with respect of shipping facilities than most other parts of the west coast...
A subdivision of part section 370, Hundred of Yatala by the Adelaide Land Company in 1839; now included in Prospect. It probably honours Charles Christian Dutton, an early landholder in the district.
The subdivision is advertised in the Southern Australian on 10 May 1839, page 2a:
In May 1839 a public auction was held to sell property belonging to Mr. C.C. Dutton including the village of Duttonton being part of section 170 immediately adjoining the Village of Enfield...
The reminiscences of C.W.Dutton, son of C.C. Dutton, are to be found in the Observer of 24 June 1911, page 13a.
An account of C.C. Dutton's disappearance is in the Register,
17 July 1878, page 6b; also see
29 October 1842, page 3b,
5 and 12 November 1842, pages 2c and 2e,
12 January 1901, page 9h,
19 January 1901, page 33b.