State Library of South Australia
Manning Index of South Australian History
  • South Australia
  • Adelaide
  • Port Adelaide
  • Place Names
  •  

  • About the Index
  • Searching
  • Text-based menus
    (Use this option if your browser will not open the folders.)

    Place Names of South Australia - M

    Marshfield - McLeay, Point

    Marshfield

    Nomenclature

    It took its name from a farm established circa 1855 on the section by the Everard family, who named it after a town in their native Gloucestershire.

    General Notes

    "Old Time Memories" is in the Register, 20 November 1919, page 5b.

    Marshfield - McLeay, Point
    M
    Place Names

    Martin, Cape

    Nomenclature

    Near Beachport. [Captain George Martin, a mariner - R. Cockburn.]

    General Notes

    The suicide of a Captain Martin, "one of the earliest colonists", is reported in the Register, 26 February 1842, page 2d:

    Marshfield - McLeay, Point
    M
    Place Names

    Marum Island

    Nomenclature

    In the Sir Joseph Banks Group, named by Matthew Flinders in 1802 after Sir Joseph Banks' agent.

    General Notes

    Guano deposits on this island in the Sir Joseph Banks Group are described in the Advertiser, 21 July 1909, page 5g:

    Also see South Australia - Mining - Miscellany.

    Marshfield - McLeay, Point
    M
    Place Names

    Mary Burt Corner

    Nomenclature

    North-east of Lorne on the Port Wakefield Road; it is thought that Mary Burt conducted a general store on this site.

    General Notes

    Information from Mrs Marie Galbraith of Mallala, via Mr Brian Verrall, indicates that the "Burt's were pioneers. They came to live between Wild Horse Plains and Inkerman when the country was all scrub. They started a private school and opened a wine shop..."! - indeed, a strange combination?

    An obituary of Mrs Mary Byrt (sic) is in the Observer,
    21 February 1925, page 37e.

    Marshfield - McLeay, Point
    M
    Place Names

    Mary Vale

    Nomenclature

    Parliamentary Paper no. 38 of 1865 shows T. McTurk Gibson taking up pastoral lease no. 568 on 30 June 1857, 'SW of Parla', while on 18 July 1860 Messrs Horn, Main and Morphett acquired lease no. 828 'NW of Mount Cooper'. Further, on 4 June 1858 C. Lindsay and T. McT. Gibson took up lease no. 642 at 'Streaky Bay' and later pastoral maps show that 'Maryvale Head Station' stood on this lease and pastoral records also show that the name 'Maryvale' was applied to the aforementioned leases 568, 642 and 828 when they were consolidated into leases 2014, 2015 and 2016 by W.A. Horn in 1863. The name 'Maryvale' does not appear on pastoral maps until occupation of the land by W.A. Horn and it is of some interest that the Christian name 'Mary' was bestowed on his daughter born in 1884.

    General Notes

    Information supporting the tenure of land comprising "Maryvale" as expressed in Manning's Place Names of South Australia is in the Register,
    22 February 1910, page 10a; also see
    Advertiser,
    7 February 1898, page 7d for reminiscences of "Mr Horn's Maryvale Station" in the 1860s.
    The property is described in the Advertiser,
    16 August 1906, page 9a.

    A report of the death of a shepherd, John Jamieson, is in the Register,
    22 January 1870, page 5c.

    A banquet to Mr W.A. Horn is reported in the Register,
    16 August 1884, page 6g.

    This school on Eyre Peninsula opened as "Oakdale" in 1919 becoming "Mary Vale" in the same year;
    it closed in 1939.

    An obituary of John McDonald is in the Observer,
    28 June 1924, page 28a.

    Marshfield - McLeay, Point
    M
    Place Names

    Mary Vale Creek

    The Register of 11 February 1858 (supp.) at page 2 locates it as being "West of Hamilton".

    Marshfield - McLeay, Point
    M
    Place Names

    Mary, Mount

    Nomenclature

    On Kangaroo Island in the Hundred of Seddon, named by Captain Bloomfield Douglas after his fourth daughter.

    As regards the hill which lies adjacent to the Town of Mount Mary in the Hundred of Beatty 35 km east of Eudunda, H.C. Talbot says:

    General Notes

    Information on its water supply is in the Register,
    18 September 1885, page 6e,
    6 November 1885, page 6f.

    "A Water Scheme" is in the Register,
    6 April 1909, page 7a.
    Also see South Australia - Water Conservation.

    Its school opened as "Krichauff" in 1886 the first teacher being D.D. Cogan;
    name changed in 1902 and closed on 17 May 1956 when students transferred to the Bower School.

    "Mount Mary Tragedy" is in the Register,
    18 and 20 February 1899, pages 6d and 6a,
    Observer,
    25 February 1899, page 13,
    25 March 1899, page 30a.

    "A Swagman Shot" is in the Register,
    8 and 20 February 1905, pages 3e and 3b.

    A sports day is reported upon in the Register,
    3 September 1907, page 9g.

    The golden wedding of Mr & Mrs P.M. Schroeder is reported in the Register,
    24 July 1911, page 6i.

    Samuel Dixon's reminiscences are in the Register,
    19, 20, 23 and 27 July 1912, pages 9a, 18a, 8e and 15d,
    3 August 1912, page 18d;
    his obituary is in the Advertiser,
    26 August 1927, page 15d.

    An obituary of James Bradley is in the Register, 4 February 1913, page 6h,
    Observer, 8 February 1913, page 41b.

    "Exciting Affray at Mount Mary" is in the Register,
    27 October 1916, page 9b.

    Marshfield - McLeay, Point
    M
    Place Names

    Marybank

    An obituary of Mrs F.E. Fox is in the Register,
    27 May 1895, page 5b,
    Observer,
    1 June 1895, page 44c.

    Marshfield - McLeay, Point
    M
    Place Names

    Marysville

    Nomenclature

    A subdivision of sections 53 and 75, Hundred of Pirie by James Henderson Howe (1839-1920) in 1876; now included in Risdon Park; he named it after his daughter.

    General Notes

    The Register of 2 November 1891 at page 7h says that "Maryville" [sic] was the local name for "Howe Town" [Howellton?] at Port Pirie.

    Marshfield - McLeay, Point
    M
    Place Names

    Maslin Beach

    Nomenclature

    Thomas Maslin (c.1809-1890), who purchased sections 371-72, Hundred of Willunga, from Bernard Hartley for 240 in 1849.

    General Notes

    An obituary of Thomas Maslin is in the Register,
    12 August 1890, page 5b,
    Observer,
    16 August 1890, page 36b.

    Marshfield - McLeay, Point
    M
    Place Names

    Mason

    Nomenclature

    George Ezekiel Mason (1811-1876), a police trooper and first Sub-protector of Aborigines at Wellington.

    General Notes

    Also see South Australia - Aboriginal Australians.

    An editorial on the Aborigines under his protection is in the Register,
    21 January 1859, page 2e.
    After 20 years of service in the area the government dispensed with the position of Sub-Protector of Aborigines and George Mason was "thrown out of employment" - see
    Parliamentary Paper 45/1862 and
    Register,
    14 June 1862, page 2e,
    Observer,
    14 June 1862, page 4h.
    His obituary is in the Register,
    29 July 1876, page 5c; also see
    14 and 19 August 1876, pages 6a and 5d.

    A fire at Mason's residence is reported in the Register,
    24 August 1867, page 2g,
    Observer,
    24 August 1867, page 5c.

    Biographical details and photographs of both George Mason and his wife are in the Advertiser,
    22 August 1934, page 21b.

    "Murray Bridge and Mason's Crossing" is in the Express,
    14 December 1882, page 2b.

    The area is described in the Register,
    11 June 1883, page 6c.

    Marshfield - McLeay, Point
    M
    Place Names

    Massacre, Lake

    Nomenclature

    Near Innamincka, named by John McKinlay on 20 October 1861 on account of his party being attacked by Aborigines. It was here that his party found the grave of Gray, a member of Burke and Wills expedition.

    General Notes

    The Register of 7 December 1861, page 2g says: "... some stress has been laid on the circumstance of a piece of nautical almanac of 1858 having been found [there]... a circumstance regarded as tending to fix the date of the murdered men's departure from the settled districts..."

    Marshfield - McLeay, Point
    M
    Place Names

    Matawarrungalla Creek

    According to the Advertiser of 15 December 1934, page 20a it is an Aboriginal word meaning "big lot of Matta trees", a bitter bush growing in the locality.

    An 1864 description of the property is in Dr Charles Davies' diary which is held in the Mortlock Library.

    Information on the mine is in the Chronicle,
    26 March 1870, page 6a,
    7 January 1871, page 13b.

    Also see South Australia - Mining - Miscellany.

    Marshfield - McLeay, Point
    M
    Place Names

    Matta Flat

    The Matta Matta Mine was "situated near Kadina and Wallaroo Mine... The mine was worked as a separate property for a short time to the beginning of the mining industry on the Peninsula... The operations of the proprietors were, however, suspended in consequence of the influx of water; and ultimately the mine was included in the property of the Wallaroo Company."

    The "North-East Matta" was situated on sections 223-224, Hundred of Wallaroo.
    See Record of the Mines of South Australia (fourth edition), pages 141 and 105.
    The mine is described in the Register, 16 June 1863, page 3h.
    Also see South Australia - Mining - Miscellany.

    Marshfield - McLeay, Point
    M
    Place Names

    Maurice, Lake

    Nomenclature

    North of Ooldea, discovered by Ernest Giles in 1875 and named by F.R George in 1904 after the explorer, Richard Thelwall Maurice, whose most notable expeditions, all equipped at his own personal expense, were to the Rawlinson Ranges and across the continent from Fowlers Bay to Wyndham in Western Australia.

    General Notes

    Information on R.T. Maurice's explorations is in the Chronicle,
    20 April 1901, page 30b,
    7 December 1901, page 32a,
    Register,
    2 and 5 December 1901, pages 5c-f and 6h; also see
    25 February 1902, page 7i,
    28 October 1902, 5b,
    21 and 25 November 1902, pages 5b and 5e,
    17 and 20 December 1902, pages 7h and 6g,
    16 February 1903, page 4f,
    18 March 1904, page 5a,
    28 May 1904, page 7d,
    24 January 1905, page 4d.

    His obituary is in the Register, 26 April 1909, page 5a;
    also see Observer, 1 May 1930, page 54a.

    Marshfield - McLeay, Point
    M
    Place Names

    May Town

    Nomenclature

    In July 1878 the Corporation of Port Pirie obtained the land grant of section 540, Hundred of Pirie and in October 1901 cut the land up into building blocks which it leased on fifty year terms; the land reverted to the Crown in 1942. The name may relate to Queen Mary, affectionately known as .'May', the wife of King George V, both of whom arrived in March 1901 when His Majesty, then the Duke of York, opened the first parliament of the newly federated Commonwealth of Australia.

    General Notes

    Of interest is the fact that May Brothers and Co's foundry was situated in Port Pirie - see Register, 27 November 1894, page 7f.

    Also see under Place Names - Gawler - Mills and Factories

    Marshfield - McLeay, Point
    M
    Place Names

    Maylands

    Nomenclature

    William Wadham (1824-1895) married Jane Cooper (1831-1912) circa 1852 in Adelaide and with Luke M.Cullen created Maylands on section 278, Hundred of Adelaide in 1877. There is a Mayland (sic) in Essex, England from whence the Cooper family emigrated.

    General Notes

    Information on the Wesleyan Church is in the Register,
    29 November 1884, page 5d,
    Express,
    29 November 1884, page 2e.

    The London Condiment Company's factory is described in the Advertiser,
    15 May 1885, page 6b.

    The case of Adelaide (North-East) Suburban Land and Investment Co versus Wadham is discussed in the Advertiser,
    7 October 1885, page 4c.
    Mr Wadham's obituary is in the Register,
    9 December 1895, page 5d.
    The suggestion made by Rodney Cockburn that he was twice-married is disspelled by an obituary of Jane Wadham, "the widow of the late W.W. Wadham", in the Observer,
    18 January 1913, page 41a:

    Its deep drainage is discussed in the Advertiser,
    10 September 1887, page 7c and
    the Adelaide Pottery on
    15 April 1893, page 6c;
    the London Pottery Co is described in the Register on
    28 July 1903, page 6g.

    Information on a football club is in the Express,
    22 March 1888, page 4e,
    16 March 1889, page 4d.
    Also see South Australia - Sport - Football.

    Local burglaries are commented upon in the Chronicle,
    2 July 1898, page 17d.

    Information on the school is in the Register,
    22 August 1898, page 4g,
    15 October 1898, page 10g,
    10 November 1898, page 5h,
    Express,
    22 October 1898, page 5d,
    2 December 1898, page 2c.

    The laying of the foundation stone of Saint Mark's Church is reported in the Register,
    8 September 1902, page 6g,
    5 November 1927, page 15d.

    Information on the London Pottery Works is in the Register,
    10 February 1904, page 7f.
    Also see Adelaide - Factories and Mills.

    Biographical details of William Vincent are in the Observer,
    10 August 1907, page 43a.

    A photograph of a horse tram is in The Critic,
    16 December 1908, page 23.

    The flooding of the suburb is reported in the Register,
    20 August 1909, page 5a and
    the laying of the foundation stone of the Church of Christ on
    13 December 1909, page 10d; also see
    22 November 1926, page 6h and
    Advertiser,
    19 August 1927, page 14a.
    A sketch is in the Chronicle,
    16 October 1926, page 53.
    Also see Adelaide - Natural Disasters.

    A fire at Melville's furniture factory is reported in the Observer,
    13 December 1913, page 54b.

    Information on the hotel is in the Express,
    10 June 1918, page 1f.

    "Methodism in Maylands" is in the Register,
    24 March 1924, page 13g.
    Also see South Australia - Religion - Miscellany - Methodists and Wesleyans.

    A photograph of Paul Martin and family is in the Observer,
    17 March 1928, page 38.

    Maylands - Obituaries

    An obituary of J.T. Church is in the Register, 25 July 1897, page 5a,
    of John Bennets on 12 June 1903, page 5a,
    of B.F. Maegraith on 8 December 1903, page 5b.

    An obituary of William Blight is in theObserver, 10 June 1905, page 34c,
    of Mrs Catherine Davies on 25 July 1908, page 40a,
    of Mrs C.E. Whitridge on 12 March 1910, page 42a,
    of E.H. Best on 21 June 1913, page 41c.

    An obituary of E.M. Rio is in the Register, 11 January 1910, page 4i,
    of R.J. Shepherd on 19 November 1910, page 13b,
    of Mrs Sarah Smith on 21 February 1911, page 6i,
    of Mrs Julia P. Everett on 3 February 1912, page 15c,
    of Mrs Mary Read on 25 December 1912, page 12i,
    of Edward H. Best on 17 June 1913, page 6g,
    of Mrs Rebecca Campain on 18 September 1919, page 6h.
    An obituary of Mrs Mary Chinner is in the Register, 1 May 1922, page 6h,
    of William Gray on 12 September 1922, page 8h,
    of W.S.C. Collins on 14 September 1922, page 10h,
    of James Pointon on 4 August 1923, page 16e,
    of William S. Lisle on 25 September 1925, page 8h,
    of Mrs E.J. Gifford on 22 April 1927, page 8h,
    of Mrs Hannah M. Austin on 10 August 1927, page 11d,
    of Mrs Rebecca S. Charlton on 9 September 1927, page 8h,
    of Eli Gamlen on 16 November 1927, page 15a.

    An obituary of Mrs Mary C. Lang is in the Observer, 29 July 1916, page 19d,
    of George Fidge on 13 January 1917, page 31a,
    of Mrs Ruth Harman on 1 July 1922, page 20a,
    of William Mitchell on 13 February 1926, page 39b,
    of L.W.H. Heysen on 4 February 1928, page 49c,
    of Mrs Bridget Gason on 18 August 1928, page 49b.

    An obituary of Louis W.H. Heysen is in the Register, 31 January 1928, page 8g.

    Marshfield - McLeay, Point
    M
    Place Names

    Maynard Well

    Nomenclature

    In the North Flinders Ranges. Probably named after Harry Maynard, a boundary rider of the 1870s.

    General Notes

    The Chronicle of 5 March 1910, page 42c has a report of a Henry Maynard being "forty days without food" in the Far North.

    Probably named after Harry Maynard, a boundary rider of the 1870s;
    see Register, 5 December 1925, page 9d for an interesting story of his life and times.

    Marshfield - McLeay, Point
    M
    Place Names

    Mayurra, Hundred of

    Nomenclature

    A corruption of the Aboriginal word meaning 'fern fronds'.

    General Notes

    See Parliamentary Paper 55/1874 for correspondence in respect of the sale of lands in the Hundred.

    Marshfield - McLeay, Point
    M
    Place Names

    McClander Bay

    This school on Yorke Peninsula is mentioned in the Advertiser,
    6 March 1877, page 6c.

    Marshfield - McLeay, Point
    M
    Place Names

    McDouall Peak

    Information on this pastoral property is in the Observer,
    29 March 1924, page 18e.

    Marshfield - McLeay, Point
    M
    Place Names

    McFarlane Hill

    Nomenclature

    Near Goolwa. Allan McFarlane (1792-1864), who took an occupation licence 'West of Lake Victoria' (now Alexandrina) on 26 February 1844.

    General Notes

    A farewell dinner to Mr Allan MacFarlane (sic) is reported in the Register,
    8 June 1858, page 3c.
    His obituary appears on 12 March 1908, page 4h.

    Letters from him relating to his northern exploration are in the Advertiser,
    10 and 20 August 1858, pages 3c and 2g.

    Information on "Wellington Lodge" is in the Observer,
    22 October 1898,
    24 October 1903, pages 13c-23.

    Marshfield - McLeay, Point
    M
    Place Names

    McGorrery, Hundred of

    Nomenclature

    John McGorrery, a member of John McD. Stuart's overland expedition in 1861-62.

    General Notes

    His obituary is in the Register, 10 January 1914, page 13d.

    Marshfield - McLeay, Point
    M
    Place Names

    McGregor, Hundred of

    Nomenclature

    G. McGregor, MLC (1894-1901). Born in Scotland in 1848 he came to South Australia in 1877. By 1891 he was involved in the trade union movement and held several executive positions, becoming the first SA Labor representative in the Commonwealth Senate which he came to dominate through his tactical shrewdness. 'His speeches were usually short and spontaneous with a calculated vulgarity which led him to be accused of a coarse, brutal directness.' Outside of politics he was genial and good natured. He died in July 1914 and was given a State funeral.

    General Notes

    Also see South Australia - Politics.

    "Some of the Farmers" is in the Register, 17 October 1911, page 3b.

    Marshfield - McLeay, Point
    M
    Place Names

    McHarg Creek

    Nomenclature

    In the Hundred of Kuitpo. John McHarg (1792-1859), an early settler.

    General Notes

    The loss of Sarah McHarg is reported in the Register,
    19 June 1843, page 3b and
    recalled on
    21 and 23 January 1926, pages 12g and 3f; also see
    Observer,
    9 September 1843, page 5a.
    For information on the McHarg family see Register,
    10 February 1928, page 14e.

    Also see Geoffrey H. Manning, The Memoirs of Thomas Frost.

    Marshfield - McLeay, Point
    M
    Place Names

    McIntyre, Mount

    Nomenclature

    John McIntyre, the manager of the Glencoe run for the Leake brothers.

    General Notes

    Information on the drainage works is in the Register,
    1 March 1882, page 6f,
    26 August 1882, page 6g.

    Also see under Place Names - South-East - Miscellany for an essay on the drainage works

    The school opened in 1897 and closed in 1944.

    The reminiscences of Archibald Walker are in the Register,
    21 September 1903, page 2i.

    An obituary of Neil Houston is in the Register, 10 October 1910, page 4f,
    Observer, 15 October 1910, page 41a,
    of T.H. Williams in the Register, 1 August 1927, page 11e.

    Marshfield - McLeay, Point
    M
    Place Names

    McKenzie Landing

    Nomenclature

    William McKenzie, a pioneer pastoralist, who took up block 1 of 17,800 acres, Hundred of Moule in 1889.

    General Notes

    The school opened in 1906 and closed in 1907.

    Information on Mr McKenzie taking up land is in the Observer, 22 August 1891, page 31c.

    A sketch titled "The Iron Man, Denial Bay" is in The Critic,
    24 November 1900, page 8.

    "Chat With a West Coast Veteran [W. McKenzie]" is in the Register,
    7 August 1906, page 5c.
    His obituary is in the Register,
    1 December 1906, page 7g.

    The early settlement at Denial Bay is described in the Advertiser,
    24 December 1909, page 6h.

    Marshfield - McLeay, Point
    M
    Place Names

    McKinlay

    Nomenclature

    Lake McKinlay and Mount McKinlay were named after John McKinlay (1819-1872) the explorer.

    See Manning's Place Names of South Australia page 198 for further details.

    General Notes

    A discussion of his diary is in the Register,
    13 November 1862, page 2f. Also see
    22 and 26 November 1862, pages 2d-3d and 3h-6d.

    John McKinlay's obituary is in the Register, 1 January 1873, page 5c and
    his wife's in the Observer, 21 February 1914, page 41a.

    Marshfield - McLeay, Point
    M
    Place Names

    McLachlan, Hundred of

    Nomenclature

    J. McLachlan Snr, MP (1893-1902). Born in Scotland in 1842 he came to South Australia in 1864 when he farmed in the Alma District. Upon his death in October 1904 he was lauded as 'one of the most useful and highly esteemed residents. He was prominent in the Christian Church in which he had been an efficient and zealous worker for 30 years.'

    General Notes

    Also see South Australia - Politics.

    A school of this name opened in 1929 and closed in 1944.

    Marshfield - McLeay, Point
    M
    Place Names

    McLaren Flat

    The laying of the foundation stone of the Bible Christian Church is reported in the Chronicle,
    25 August 1866, page 2e and
    its opening in the Register,
    29 December 1866, page 2c.

    A picnic on Mr Wilkinson's paddock is reported in the Chronicle,
    8 January 1898, page 16b.

    A photograph of the school band is in the Observer,
    3 July 1915, page 29.

    Biographical details of William Oakley are in the Register,
    3 March 1917, page 9b.

    The unveiling of the War Memorial Hall is reported in the Register,
    11 December 1922, page 8c.
    Also see South Australia - World War I - Memorials to the Fallen.

    "A Fruitful and Beautiful District" is in the Register,
    18 October 1927, page 12f.

    McLaren Flat - Obituaries

    An obituary of William Hardy is in the Register,
    13 August 1908, page 5b.

    An obituary of Thomas Burgan is in the Register, 21 April 1920, page 7b,
    Observer, 24 April 1920, page 14c.

    Marshfield - McLeay, Point
    M
    Place Names

    McLeay, Point

    Nomenclature

    George McLeay, second in command to Captain Charles Sturt in 1830.

    General Notes

    Also see South Australia - Aboriginal Australians.

    A letter re the mission station is in the Register, 19 November 1859, page 2e.

    Parliamentary Paper 151/1860 contains a report from T. Rickaby, police trooper: "... I found about 40 [aborigines] there in a most wretched and pitiful condition, not only from the want of proper covering... but food itself...";
    also see Parliamentary Paper 165/1860 and 210/1862.

    Other references to the mission are to be found in the Observer,
    1, 15 and 29 September 1860, pages 3c, 7a and 7a,
    23 February 1861, page 5f,
    27 February 1864, page 3e,
    Register,
    12, 19 and 27 September 1860, page 3a, 3a and 2h,
    15 October 1860, page 3e;
    22, 26 and 27 February 1861, pages 2f, 3g and 3c;
    2 and 5 December 1861, pages 3b.

    Also see Observer,
    17 December 1864, page 6f,
    Register,
    26 March 1867, page 2h,
    11 April 1867, page 2h,
    11, 16, 23 and 26 September 1867, pages 2e, 2e, 2e and 3b;
    8 May 1869, page 2h.
    A report from the Protector of Aborigines is in
    Parliamentary Paper 210/1862.

    A feature article entitled "A Visit to Point McLeay" appears in the Register,
    16 November 1863, page 3b; also see
    a report from the Bishop of Adelaide on
    19 December 1864, page 3a.

    "The Point McLeay Mission" is in the Observer,
    17 December 1864, page 6f.

    A Christian marriage ceremony between Aborigines is reported in the Register,
    28 August 1866, page 2g - for a further exposition of the subject see
    18 January 1867, page 2h.
    The celebration of Christmas Day is described on
    3 January 1867, page 2f,
    while a report on the mission by Revs. J. Lyall and F.W. Cox appears on
    16 April 1868, page 3f.

    The opening of a Native Church "at Reid Town, Point McLeay" is reported in the Observer,
    8 May 1869, page 6b.

    The ordination of Mr Taplin is reported in the Register,
    5 November 1868, page 2b; also see
    2 December 1871, page 5b,
    9 May 1873, page 6f,
    18 September 1875, page 6b.
    His obituary appears on
    25 July 1887, page 5a and
    that of his son on
    23 March 1889, page 6g; also see
    26, 27 and 28 March 1889, pages 4f, 7c and 5b.

    The mission is described in the Chronicle,
    1 January 1870, page 5f.

    The result of a cricket match, Point McLeay versus Norwood, is in the Register,
    29 May 1872, page 5b.
    Also see South Australia - Sport - Cricket - Miscellany.

    A petition from the Aborigines Friends Association is in Parliamentary Paper 155/1874.

    Parliamentary Paper 43/1875 has correspondence in respect of a jetty.

    A report on the mission is in the Chronicle,
    17 January 1874, page 12f,
    Observer,
    12 January 1878, page 20a.

    The Aboriginal station is described in the Farmers Weekly Messenger,
    8 January 1875, page 5b,
    Observer,
    22 March 1879, page 13b; also see
    Register,
    20 and 31 March 1879, pages 5g and 6f,
    27 December 1879, page 6b,
    17 August 1885, page 3g,
    9 September 1886, page 3d,
    4 and 8 November 1886, pages 3g and 7g,
    18, 19 and 30 November 1886, pages 7g, 7e and 6b,
    23 April 1887, page 6c,
    24 November 1887, page 5c,
    15 and 16 June 1888, pages 5b and 7f,
    4 November 1890, page 6c,
    3 January 1894, page 3f.

    A history of the mission is in the Advertiser,
    18 April 1894, page 6h,
    Register,
    30 July 1894, page 5g,
    Observer,
    4 August 1894, page 42c,
    Chronicle,
    17 September 1898, page 18e,
    14 January 1899, page 20a,
    Observer,
    19 June 1909, page 46.

    Also see Register,
    12 and 13 December 1895, pages 6c and 4g,
    6 April 1896, page 5h,
    14 December 1896, page 6,
    17 July 1900, page 4f,
    8, 13, 14 and 30 August 1900, pages 6h, 4f, 6e and 8g,
    22, 24 and 25 October 1902, pages 4f, 4h and 4c-6g,
    25 November 1903, page 6d,
    28 January 1905, page 10f,
    15 March 1907, page 5c,
    6 and 17 April 1907, pages 4i and 7h,
    14 June 1910, page 8h,
    The Critic,
    27 May 1908, page 6.

    Photographs are in the Observer,
    18 May 1907, page 30,
    29 May 1909, page 30,
    19 June 1909, page 31,
    2 March 1912, page 31,
    Chronicle,
    26 June 1909, page 31,
    4 September 1909, page 29,
    4 December 1909, page 29,
    6 May 1911, page 29,
    15 July 1911, page 32,
    5 April 1934, page 32.

    Also see Advertiser,
    9, 12 and 16 April 1907, pages 6d, 4i and 6e where the Aborigines express a desire for "more food and less prayer".

    Details of a football match in Adelaide and subsequent events are in the Register,
    6 and 8 July 1885, pages 6h and 5b.
    Also see South Australia - Sport - Football.

    "The Native Glee Club" is in the Register,
    12 December 1896, page 5e,
    Express,
    12 December 1896, page 4e; also see
    13, 14, 17 and 21 August 1900, pages 2b, 2g, 4d and 4a.

    Photographs taken at the mission are in the Chronicle,
    1 August 1903, page 44.

    "Half-Castes at Point McLeay " is in the Register,
    14 and 20 December 1904, pages 9f and 6e.
    Also see South Australia Aboriginal Australians - Mixed Descent.

    "Eastertide at Point McLeay" is in the Register,
    6 April 1907, page 4a,
    Observer,
    13 April 1907, page 40d.

    A photograph of the school teachers, Mr & Mrs Francis, is in the Observer,
    4 April 1908, page 30.

    "The Story of Fifty Years" is in the Register,
    21 June 1909, page 3h; also see
    Advertiser,
    1 May 1909, page 13h,
    Register,
    23 June 1909, page 3e,
    10 March 1910, page 6d,
    29 January 1921, page 3g,
    23 August 1924, pages 8d-11g,
    18 September 1924, page 10a,
    Advertiser,
    5, 6 and 18 September 1924, pages 14c, 9f and 10a.

    "Work at Point McLeay" is in the Express,
    10 February 1916, page 4e.

    "Among the Blacks at Point McLeay" is in The News,
    18 and 29 February 1924, pages 5b and 6e,
    22 August 1924,, page 1e.

    The reminiscences of Mrs C. Thornley are in the Register,
    4 February 1925, page 10g and
    of William Leslie on
    4 December 1925, page 10d.

    Photographs of an anniversary celebration for Captain Sturt are in the Observer,
    23 October 1930, page 32.

    Point McLeay - Obituaries

    An obituary of David Blackwell is in the Register, 4 January 1893, page 5b.

    An obituary of John Sumner is in the Register, 27 November 1905, page 4g.

    An obituary of James Uniapon, "the first native missionary", is in the Register, 30 October 1907, page 4f.

    An obituary of Mrs H.E. Read is in the Register, 15 October 1923, page 8f.

    An obituary of Mrs Louie Adams is in the Observer, 4 October 1924, page 38b,
    of Harry Hewitt on 13 November 1930, pages 56e-57b.

    An obituary of C.E. Taplin is in the Observer, 4 June 1927, page 44a.

    Marshfield - McLeay, Point
    M