Place Names of South Australia - P
Packard Bend - Parafield
- Packard Bend
- Paddys Plains
- Paddys Station
- Pages, The
- Pages Flat
- Painter, Mount
- Paisley, Hundred of
- Palabie, Hundred of
- Palmer, Hundred of
- Pandappa Flat
- Paney Bluff
- Para Hills
- Para Plains
- Para River
- Para Wirra
- Para Wurlie
- Paracombe Estate
Packard BendThe 1864 date of the fatal drowning as stated by Rodney Cockburn in What's In a Name would appear to be false because the Register of 29 September 1866 at page 4h says:
... Francis Packard, a member of Mr Ebenezer MacGeorge's survey party and formerly a member of the Northern Territory expedition [has] been drowned in the Murray, near Blanchetown... the body has not been recovered...
The reminiscences of J.H. Packard are in the Observer,
1 January 1927, page 18a and
an obituary on
17 August 1929, page 15e.
- My personal experiences carry me back to 1868 when George Woodroffe Goyder was Surveyor-General of South Australia... The government of the day always consulted him in all matters connected with Crown lands, roads and proposed railways. He was never satisfied with the circuitous interstate railway... Being one of his surveyors he asked if I would care to undertake to survey an alternative line through the Torrens Gorge... [He concludes with a comprehensive summary of erroneous surveys made in connection with interstate boundaries].
Paddys PlainsThis place near Truro is mentioned in the Register,
8 April 1858, page 3g.
A property of this name comprising 17,100 acres, owned by `the late Thomas Scott', was sold in 1909 - a copy of the sale notice is held in the State Bank Archive, Public Records Office, Netley, Adelaide.
- A statement from Mr William Scott of Paddy's Plains, sworn before Mr B.H. Babbage in respect of the disappearance of William Coulthard, with whom he was in company in the Far North, is in the Register, 8 April 1858, page 3.
21 March 1908, page 10c.
Paddys StationThe opening of a new bridge across the River Light at this place is reported in the Observer, 2 November 1878, page 22c.
- To Miss Temby, daughter of Mr C. Temby, Chairman of the Port Gawler District Council, was extended the honour of opening the bridge. After she had treated the structure to the usual champagne baptism she said: "In the name of the Great Architect of the Universe, to whom be all praise and glory, I name this bridge Paddy's Station Bridge..." The total length of the bridge is 172 feet in three spans... The designer was Mr J. Morris and the contractors Messrs J. Martin & Co.. A dinner to celebrate the opening was held in Mr Temby's barn during the afternoon...
21 October 1911, page 41a.
The name of a sheep station held by Robert Lawson (1813-1876) in the 1850s. He had held the land under occupation licence from 28 January 1847. Aboriginal for 'good water'.
Photographs of the old station and homestead are in the Chronicle,
17 July 1926, page 40.
An obituary of Mrs Elizabeth Lawson is in the Observer,
19 July 1913, page 41b,
of J.C. Sutton on 29 July 1916, page 19d,
of George Humphries on 24 April 1920, page 14a.
- Mrs Elizabeth Lawson of Padthaway Station died on Saturday morning, aged 90... Her husband was one of the earliest settlers having taken up Padthaway station in 1843. He died in 1876. The late Mrs Lawson, whose maiden name was Bell was born at Craig Brae, Dalmeny, Scotland on 22 November 1822. ...
11 April 1935, page 32.
Three small rocky islets, south of Waitpinga named by Matthew Flinders on 7 April 1802. 'The servants (pages) in waiting', in Backstairs Passage. In Aboriginal legend the two largest are the wives of Ngurunderi.
For another Aboriginal legend explaining their creation see Register,
4 September 1872, page 5c and
4 May 1880, page 6c.
For information on proposed guano leases see Register,
27 December 1884 (supp.), page 1h,
8 January 1885, page 7b.
- On 27 November I asked the Comissioner of Crown Lands that I might have granted on my behalf of myself and another, a discoverer's lease of the Pages for the purpose of taking away guano... [signed R.J. Rigaud].
Henry Orlando Page (1839-1902) who arrived from Tasmania with his parents in 1845; he later farmed in the district.
"Tragedy in Woodcutter's Camp" is in the Observer,
20 and 27 March 1926, pages 43a and 39c.
- A drama of the man, the wife and the lover had a fatal ending in a woodcutter's camp at Page's Flat, five miles from Willunga. The parties were Mr Thomas Dugan of the Alma Hotel, Magill Road, Norwood, his wife and Charles Caleb Byles who was engaged in wood cutting on the property of Mr George Ware...
In the North Flinders Ranges. In 1857, J.M. Painter did a trigonometrical survey in the area. It was named in 1857 by G.W. Goyder who, for a time, was in company with him.
Also see South Australia - Mining - Coal.
Information on the radium deposits is in the Advertiser,
22 and 24 November 1910, pages 8h and 10d,
28 and 30 November 1910, pages 8g and 9g,
9 and 13 September 1911, pages 20c and 21d,
17 November 1927, page 6f,
19 April 1929, page 20d,
6 July 1929, page 16c,
2 July 1929, page 14f.
3 July 1929, page 6c.
"Where Radium is Found" is in the Observer,
6 July 1929, pages 15c-35c-40a.
A photograph of an early prospector, P.G. Mueller, is in the Chronicle,
1 September 1923, page 32; also see
6 April 1933, page 36.
"State's Radium Field" is in the Advertiser,
9 and 13 August 1932, pages 8i and 8e.
- The only field in the British Empire producing radium today is in South Australia, at Mount Painter... The ore is low grade... The company has an experimental treatment plant at Dry Creek but this has now been dismantled... Before the present venture, up to 1929 104 milligrams of radium had been extracted... The station owners in the district were curious about the spangled ores and Mr W.B. Greenwood in 1896 went prospecting in the neighbourhood of Mt Pitts which is close to Mount Painter. He found corundum, an aluminium ore and 14 years later carnotite which he sent to Adelaide for examination. The realisation that this ore was a radio-active substance induced further prospecting which eventually resulted in the discovery of torbernite and other radio-active ores...
Paisley, Hundred of
J.C. Paisley, private secretary to Governor MacDonnell.
In a letter to the Surveyor-General in 1942 J.D. Somerville said:
In an ancient diary (1858) shown to me by Mr Segerlind, (7 Aug. 1942) the name of Mr Paisley is shown as the owner of a section of land near Lake Wangary. May I be forgiven for suggesting that this was dummying for His Excellency the Governor. In 1861 the Governor bought at a Land Office Auction two or more adjacent sections and in detailing the total cost of the whole he includes the transfer fees from Mr Paisley. However, the point is immaterial except it shows that there was complete confidence and regard between the Governor and his private secretary.
A school of this name opened in 1919 and closed in 1940.
Palabie, Hundred of
An Aboriginal word, meaning unknown.
Its school opened in 1925 and closed in 1945.
Aboriginal for 'a creek'.
For information on its school see under "Temora" in Manning's Place Names of South Australia.
Palmer, Hundred of
Colonel George Palmer, a South Australian Colonisation Commissioner.
"The Wants of the Hundred of Palmer" is in the Register,
29 January 1881 (supp.), page 2b; also see
2 February 1881, page 6g.
- Several things were wanted in the Hundred but the most important was water... he knew of cattle dying for want of water... There was no water at this time of the year for several miles on either of Stephenston....
8 March 1882, page 6d,
11 March 1882, page 11e.
An athletics meeting is reported in the Register,
4 February 1884, page 7b.
Also see South Australia - Sport - Athletics and Gymnastics.
The Hundred of Palmer School opened in 1892 and closed in 1911.
The aftermath of a drought is reported upon in the Chronicle,
5 December 1896, page 20a.
Also see South Australia Natural Disasters - Droughts.
An obituary of John McColive is in the Observer,
8 July 1916, page 19a.
Colonel George Palmer, a South Australian Colonisation Commissioner.
"A New Farming District and Mining Township" is in the Observer,
17 April 1869, page 6b,
"In and Around Palmer" in the Register,
27 August 1909, page 6h.
The town is described in the Observer of
4 September 1909, page 51e.
A letter from Mr George Palmer is in the Observer,
23 August 1862, page 3a (supp.),
biographical details are in the Register,
23 December 1871, page 5d,
The Lantern, 15 May 1875, page 5b and
an obituary in the Register, 18 June 1883, pages 5b-6g;
also see Register, 19 March 1907, page 7f,
Advertiser, 22 April 1916, page 11a.
Police accommodation is discussed in the Observer,
20 April 1872, page 7g,
28 December 1872, pages 4a-6b.
Information on its police station is in the Register,
1 May 1879 (supp.), page 2e.
- When the trooper who had been stationed at Palmer first arrived there was no house in which he could liv and the Hon A. Blyth had placed at the disposal of the government a dwelling which was his own property... [It was pointed out] that the increasing requirements of Palmer for police protection in consequence of the mines and the quantity of sheep stealing being carried on... the government was asked to build a house...
Information on the mine is in the Chronicle,
25 January 1873, page 12a.
"A New Reedy Creek Mine" is in the Observer,
14 January 1893, page 331d;
also see Place Names - Reedy Creek.
A flood is reported in the Observer,
24 March 1877, page 3g.
Also see South Australia - Natural Disasters - Floods.
Its school opened in 1881; Observer,
27 November 1886, page 37d.
An Arbor Day is reported in the Chronicle,
29 August 1896, page 25a and
a "Hoisting the Flag" ceremony on
25 May 1901, page 19d.
A photograph of the school's garden is in the Chronicle,
26 August 1937, page 36.
Palmer North School existed from 1880 until 1884.
A photograph is in the Chronicle,
24 August 1933, page 31.
Also see South Australia - Education - Arbor Days.
A sports day is reported in the Chronicle,
6 February 1886, page 15c.
Information on the football club is in the Chronicle,
20 April 1895, page 15a.
Also see South Australia - Sport - Football.
The opening of the Institute is reported in the Register,
15 December 1896, page 9e.
A field naturalists excursion is reported in the Register,
17 November 1904, page 3a.
"Prosperous Palmer" is in the Observer,
20 October 1906, page 1a (supp.).
The golden wedding of Mr & Mrs L. Zadow is reported in the Register,
2 May 1907, page 9b.
An obituary of Mrs Michael is in the Register,
17 February 1911, page 5a.
Biographical details of James Morcom are in the Register,
16 December 1916, page 5d.
A photograph of Logan's Rock is in the Chronicle,
15 June 1907, page 32,
of the town and district on
15 January 1910, page 32,
of a thatched house built in the 1860s on
9 October 1930, page 35.
"A Story of Progress" is in the Register,
20 December 1913, page 18a.
The opening of Wachtel's Bridge is reported in the Observer,
29 August 1914, page 17c.
The name was taken from a local homestead.
The opening of the Bible Christian Chapel is reported in the Observer,
7 November 1885, page 31a.
A photograph of the station's homestead is in the Chronicle,
1 April 1922, page 27.
- The new Bible Christian Chapel and Sunday School which have been erected on ground given by Mr T. Gale was opened on 25 October... (Observer, 7 November 1885, page 31.)
On section 1016, Hundred of Waterloo between Steelton and Waterloo; also known as 'Reoboth Chapel'. An Aboriginal word probably meaning 'on the watch for kangaroos', ie, the Aborigines watched at this place for kangaroos returning from drinking at the River Light.
Parliamentary Paper 18/1861 gives the school the alternative name of "Wiltoria".
The 'Pandappa Run' was held by Thomas Elder and John and J.S. Williams (lease nos. 1748 and 1748A).
An obituary of George Hanlin is in the Register,
19 January 1922, page 6g.
PandurraA pastoral station in the Gawler Ranges district; its subdivision is reported in the Chronicle,
1 June 1895, page 9d,
12 October 1895, page 4a.
- For the past few days the Pastoral Board has been busy allotting a large area of pastoral country in various parts of the colony... The Pandurra run was cut up into several blocks after being gazetted as one, and the applicants who received the land were satisfied with what they obtained...
4 March 1899, page 2c.
The "Paney Run" was established by R. Standley in 1858 (lease no. 1586).
Information on the "Paney" pastoral station is in the Observer,
2 and 16 February 1924, pages 49a and 17a.
- In olden days there were only about four tracks that led to the coast. One went from Paney (30 miles south of Yardea), via the Pildappa Rocks to Courtabie Station, about seven miles from Venus bay; another via Chilpuddie Rocks, Karcultabie and Parla Peak to Streaky Bay, a distance of some 95 miles; another from Narlaby (16 miles west of Yardea), via Yantanabie and Chilpenunda to Streaky Bay, a distance of some 95 miles; a fourth track was from Kundulka (55 miles north-west of Yardea) via the Wallala Rocks and Chilpenunda to Streaky Bay (about 80 miles).
John Hirst, who was associated with A.M. Wooldridge, was the original holder of pastoral lease no. 2286 which was issued on 6 November 1864 and which had been known as Paney... For some time the only water they had was obtained from rockholes. Wooldridge was the first man to use boring rods in this part of the country...
Aboriginal for 'piece of land'.
A photograph of a tennis team is in the Chronicle,
16 May 1935, page 38,
7 May 1936, page 32.
Also see South Australia - Sport - Horse Racing.
'Para' is believed to be an Aboriginal word relating to a river.
Freestone quarries at "Little Para" are discussed in the Advertiser,
29 July 1893, page 7f.
Also see South Australia - Industries - Rural, Primary and Secondary - Building Stone.
An article in the Advertiser on 20 February 1912, page 6g contends that para means "little water" and para para "big water".
'Para' is believed to be an Aboriginal word relating to a river.
The district is described in the Register,
14 April 1862, page 3d.
- These hills, which skirt the higher ranges running parallel to them, and separating them from the plains, are composed of tertiary limestone... Nearly the whole of the district is well adapted for farming purposes... The farms are, generally speaking, of considerable size and the farmers men of energy and spirit... The homesteads and buildings are commodious; live fences assiduously cultivated; and the district generally looks as though the inhabitants were making homes for themselves and their families after them. Sheep have been introduced lately...
Para Plains"The Plains Beyond Adelaide - Old Time Reminiscences" is in the Advertiser,
27 June 1906, page 8h.
The Government Gazette of 21 February 1856, page 125 shows this school being conducted by Elizabeth Rogers.
Aboriginal for 'river forest'.
A proposal for a district council is discussed in the Observer,
10 September 1853, page 6e.
- On the 2nd of September 1853 a public meeting of ratepayers of the Hundred of Para Wirra was held at the Wheatsheaf Hotel, Chain of Ponds, to consider the propriety of adopting the District Councils Act and to define the boundaries of the proposed district... Mr Robert Rankine was called to the chair...
A school of this name opened in 1898 and became "Cromer" in 1899.
An obituary of J.H. Bowden is in the Observer,
26 June 1909, page 40b.
Generally accepted to be Aboriginal for a 'river camp site', but in a poem entitled 'Aboriginal Nomenclature - By a Native' which appeared in the Register on 11 October 1893 another meaning is suggested:
- Parra-worlie (house of meat),
Our happy hunting ground
Where nantos and brown euros leap
Their fat calpos bound.
The district is described in the Express, 7 December 1877, page 3e.
- Another change in the aspect of the country about Para Wurlie is caused by the great abundance of black grass which the settler burns off then ploughs up ere he puts in his grain and by doing so manures the land. There is a marked difference in the crops sown upon land treated in this way and where the grass and scrub have not been burned... Travelling up Mount Gore (which name by the way has fallen into oblivion, the hundred being called by the native name of Para Wurlie - hill of the camp, or sleeping place) - we suddenly lost sight of the rough brush fence that marked the boundaries of squatter and selector and came upon a new six-wire fence... This was the beginning of Mr Ebenezer Ward's selection of 640 acres...
The name "Parawarli" (sic) is applied to a high bluff on section 26b, Hundred of Warrenben. Aboriginal for "plenty of meat".
See D.L. & S.J. Hill, Notes on the Narannga Tribe of Yorke Peninsula.
David Elder, the author of William Light's Brief Journal and Australian Diaries has commented upon the discovery of the River Para:
I find Gwenneth Williams' account hard to accept. She says that Finniss's trip in April covered the Mudla Wirra forest and that his discoveries included the Para and Light rivers, Lynedoch and Happy Valley and Noarlunga. Surely, it must have meant more than one trip - one north and one south.
Finniss worked on the survey of Adelaide which presumably ended about 10 March. In a small pamphlet, When Adelaide Was Very Young (p. 8), which contains extracts from his reminiscences, he says that following the sale of town acres on 17 March he began to build his house. This seems to make the timing of such an expedition tight and perhaps questionable.
A small diary in the Land Office shows that he began the country survey with four men on 2 May and by the 26th was examining Field's River. But surely for a few days at least he would have been preparing for the country survey trip. I wonder if it was to this country survey that Williams was referring when she wrote about his time south of Adelaide.
The only reference to the Para I found in the facsimile volume was to the expedition of Wood, Willis and Oakden in March 1838. They were said to have crossed the Para, so the name was in use then.
The SA Record, printed in London, (copy in Mortlock Library) in its edition of 13 January 1838 (p.31) reprints a letter from John Morphett dated 31 July 1837 where reference is made to the `Parra' (sic) or `Perry' River. Rodney Cockburn hedged in respect of its discoverer-In Nomenclature of South Australia, (1908) at page 105 he says that it was discovered by Colonel Light and in What's in a Name (1984) at page 169 he is reported as saying it was discovered by an exploration party under the command of B.T. Finniss. David Elder in Brief Journals and Australian Diaries of Colonel Light at p.31 reproduces a map which says in respect of the Para River that it was discovered by Colonel Light; this appears to be false as Light's first exploration to the north of Adelaide commenced in December 1837 and Morphett's reference to the Parra (sic) relates to July 1837.
Thus, we can reasonably dispose of Light as the discoverer and the weight of evidence leads us to Finniss but the vital primary source is missing; unfortunately, Gwenneth Williams did not specifically note her sources and, further, it is suggested that her work was the reason for Rodney Cockburn changing his version of its discovery. We have searched her named `sources' in vain to resolve the problem.
Information on a proposed damming of the South Para River is in the Register, 29 and 30 November 1882, pages 6b and 6c.
Also see South Australia - Water Conservation.
A punt over the river is described in the Register, 9 September 1846, page 2d;
also see 28 July 1847, page 3e, 7 August 1847, page 3e.
- We lately attempted to describe the Gawler Town punt, so ingeniously constructed of bullocks' hides, and used for passage of the river during the state of flood. On Thursday last the said punt was again in requisition and two men embarked, but a speedy capsize awaited them and although one, who was a good swimmer, successfully buffeted with he impetuous torrent and effected an independent passage, the other was indebted for his safety to the prompt assistance afforded, without which, in all probability, would have ended his "earthly" career in the water.
The opening of the Little Para Bridge is reported in the Register,
8 September 1865, page 3d.
- The opening of the new bridge over the Little Para at the Old Spot took place on September 7... Miss Ellie Williams, of the Old Spot Hotel, a young lady of eight years, and upon whom the honour of christening the bridge had fallen, was led forward by Mr James Smith and, having amidst loud cheers smashed a bottle of champagne upon the stonework in the centre of the bridge, she gave the structure the name of "The Old Spot Bridge"...
- I joined the second exodus from Adelaide to the Victorian goldfields in March 1852 where I went mates with a man who had resided in Cockatoo Valley and he informed me that prior to leaving Adelaide he and two others, believing that gold existed in the colony, pitched upon the North Para River... They selected a waterhole in the Para and commenced dredging... They persevered for 10 days and the result of their labours was 14 dwts. which being unremunerative they packed up and joined the exodus...
"Fish for the Para River" is in the Advertiser, 25 July 1927, page 8g.
Also see Place Names - Gawler
Derived from the Aboriginal patatjilna - 'place of peppermint gum trees'. This is probably the most northern locality where the peppermint gum tree is the dominant tree, the occurrence being sufficiently notable to warrant the Aboriginal name. The spelling is due to the misreading of early transcriptions. In 1863 J.B. Austin correctly denoted it is as patachilna.
The town is described in the Chronicle,
27 May 1882, page 7e,
24 June 1899, page 13a,
21 December 1899, page 5g,
21 August 1905, page 5h.
An interesting letter about the hotel is in the Register,
7 December 1882, page 6b; also see
27 December 1888, page 7a - "We had to grope our way into the dining-room... A repeated request for a light on the subject was entirely disregarded"; also see
16 June 1899, page 7a,
21 December 1899, page 5f.
- Let them, as your correspondent has done, roost on the platform here or, as an alternative, proceed to Beltana , a distance of 26 miles to obtain a bed and return to Parachilna and 26 miles more to Blinman and some consideration would enter their calculations... I cannot for the life of me see why the commodious premises erected at great cost by Messrs Jackson & Montague should not be licensed as an hotel...
14 September 1888, page 3f.
A proposed tramway to Blinman is discussed in the Observer,
1 December 1888, page 35a.
Reports on the construction of the road through Parachilna Pass are in the Register,
8 February 1889, page 6a,
7 March 1889, page 6d.
"Parachilna Pass" is in the Observer,
9 February 1889, page 30e.
A horse race meeting is reported in the Chronicle,
25 April 1896, page 29c (See South Australia - Sport - Horse Racing) and
a photograph of visitors to a sports day on
17 August 1907, page 30; also see
17 August 1907, page 29.
"A Gala Day" is in the Observer,
26 December 1908, page 38e.
Its school opened in 1929 and closed in 1986.
A photograph of Messrs L.& W. Darmody is in the Observer,
23 December 1911, page 31,
of a donkey team in the Parachilna Gorge on
26 January 1918, page 24,
of the hotel on
8 February 1919, page 26,
of a netting inspector's camp in the Chronicle,
26 April 1934, page 37.
An obituary of James A. Darmody is in the Register,
17 July 1912, page 6i,
of W.J. Darmody on 29 October 1914, page 4h.
Information on its golf course in the Advertiser on
11 March 1933, page 9h:
The greens are rolled cinders from the engine, the flags a collection of tattered shirts fluttering from mulga posts above condensed milk tins and the old white bull is written down in local rules as a movable hazard. "All hands and the cook" share up the only set of sticks in Parachilna.
Jacob Hagen (c.1805-1870) gave the name to 400 acres of land he acquired from J.B. Hack in 1840. There is a 'Parracombe' in Devon where both he and Hack hailed from; it derives from the Old English peddera-cumb - 'the pedlars' valley'. However, as the local name is spelt with one 'r' it is possible it refers to the Little Para River which ran through the property. In early directories it is frequently shown as two words - 'Para Combe' which suggests the Aboriginal para - 'river' and the English combe - 'narrow valley'.
It is described in the Observer of 3 February 1912, page 12e.
A proposed school is discussed in the Register,
26 May 1903, page 7d.
The Paracombe School opened in 1910; see
30 March 1912, page 43a,
30 March 1912, page 26b.
"A Successful Man [Reuben Chapman]" is in the Register,
29 August 1910, page 7a.
W. Hannaford's "fruit garden" is described in the Observer,
13 April 1912, page 13d.
Also see South Australia - Industries - Rural, Primary and Secondary - Fruit and Vegetables.
An obituary of George Clifton is in the Observer,
26 May 1917, page 33a,
of A.H. Appledore on 13 March 1926, page 37a.
Information on a new recreation ground is in the Advertiser,
30 November 1922, page 11c.
- Some time ago Mr Reuben Chapman, an old resident, presented to the people of Paracombe six acres for a recreation ground... Two tennis courts, a cricket and football oval have been formed and a kiosk and a shelter shed have been erected. The ground will be officially opened by the Speaker of the House of Assembly, Sir Richard Butler...
17 December 1928, page 8g.
Photographs are in the Chronicle,
22 December 1928, page 13.
Photographs of young project workers are in the Chronicle,
2 July 1931, page 33.
"Beautiful Valley of Paracombe" is in the Advertiser,
13 May 1936, page 20d.
Joseph Ind (1809-1865) arrived in South Australia from Gloucestershire in 1837 and after living in Hindley Street for some time acquired land near the foothills for gardening purposes. On 11 December 1850 he applied for a licence to build a hotel in front of his cottage which he called the 'Paradise Bridge Inn', a name derived from a property called 'Paradise' in the Cotswolds of Gloucestershire. In 1854 he leased additional land which was referred to as, 'The Garden of Paradise on the Torrens' in official records.
Information on the construction of the bridge is in the Register,
2 and 26 June 1857, pages 2d and 3h.
A photograph is in the Observer,
11 April 1908, page 29.
"The First Paradise Bridge" is recalled in the Register,
25 and 26 August 1924, pages 9b and 12f,
27 July 1928, page 13d.
Horse racing is reported in the Observer,
3 January 1863, page 4d.
Also see South Australia - Sport - Horse Racing.
"Arrawarru - Mr Beasley's Residence on the Torrens" is in the Register,
27 August 1866, page 3g.
The local cricket team is discussed in the Express,
28 May 1868, page 2d,
27 June 1868, page 2h; also see
22 February 1869, page 2e for a match against Norwood,
3 April 1869, page 11c for a match against Hindmarsh,
5 September 1876, page 2c.
Also see South Australia - Sport - Cricket - Miscellany.
Mr G.F. Ind's garden is described in the Register,
19 April 1875, page 6a,
6 June 1903, page 8g.
His obituary is in the Observer,
12 May 1906, page 38a,
of W.H. Ind in the Register,
9 November 1926, page 12f.
Information on local school facilities is in the Register,
15 June 1877, page 7c,
23 June 1877, page 10a.
An "Eight Hours Day" picnic is reported in the Chronicle,
7 September 1878, page 9e.
The opening of the tramway is reported in the Register,
20 December 1883, page 4g and
the winding up of the company on
28 January 1887, page 6g.
"Paradise Tram Opened" is in the Register,
6 November 1911, page 6e.
Also see Adelaide - Transport - Tramways.
Local flooding is discussed in the Chronicle,
18 June 1898, page 16c.
Also see South Australia - Natural Disasters - Floods.
Boring for coal is reported in the Advertiser,
18 June 1914, page 17e.
- The report respecting the existence of a coal seam 43 feet thick at a depth of 150 feet on the property of the Paradise Coal Mining Company, awakened a good deal of interest in the city... The bore was put down by the Mines Department... and samples of the core have been forwarded to the Government Geologist and the School of Mines, where an analysis will be made of the material... Some years ago a shaft was put down on Montefiore Hill... but an analysis proved the substance was of no economic value. At Noarlunga, too, a similar bed was discovered and this was actually worked for some time...
An obituary of Mrs Mary A. Healy is in the Register,
12 April 1926, page 8f.
The Torrens Valley inaugural Show is reported in the Observer,
1 May 1920, page 5c.
Also see South Australia - Agricultural, Floricultural & Horticultural Shows .
Information on the Torrensford Sand and Gravel Pits is in The News,
18 February 1927, page 13c.
Also see Place Names - Torrensford.
Derived from the Aboriginal para, meaning 'river'.
"The Parafield Cemetery" is in the Chronicle,
2 May 1891, page 22c,
13 August 1898, page 20c,
24 August 1898, page 5i,
26 October 1898, pages 3i-4e,
"The Unused Cemetery" in the Observer,
20 March 1897, page 9a; also see
18 December 1897, page 27a,
13 August 1898, page 15e,
29 October 1898, page 16a.
"Parafield or West Terrace" is in the Register,
6 February 1903, page 4g.
Information on the Home For Aged and Infirm Deaf Mutes is reported in the Observer,
25 March 1899, page 29d,
16 September 1899, page 6,
11 September 1899, page 6f;
photographs are in the Observer,
13 September 1902, page 25;
22 February 1904, page 6c,
1 and 17 October 1904, pages 10f and 6f (history of) and
28 September 1904, page 6f,
10 and 17 October 1904, pages 4e and 8a,
17 February 1906, page 6i,
29 October 1923, page 12b,
2 November 1925, page 9e,
3 November 1925, page 13f,
22 August 1927, page 10g.
"Paradise for Afflicted - Angas Home at Parafield" is in The Mail,
28 July 1928, page 11f.
Information on the Parafield Experimental Farm is in the Advertiser,
23 May 1906, page 6e;
its history is recorded in the Observer on
20 October 1909, page 50b and
3 December 1910, page 10; also see
26 November 1910, page 15e,
21 November 1912, page 5h,
7 December 1912, page 10e,
22 February 1913, page 40e,
24 February 1917, page 4a.
A photograph of the Ladies' Hockey Club is in the Chronicle,
11 September 1909, page 30,
11 September 1909, page 32.
An obituary of Mrs Eliza Middleton is in the Observer,
28 May 1921, page 34a.
Information on the Parafield Poultry Farm is in The News,
11 September 1928, page 22f,
30 April 1930, page 6e.
25 November 1929, page 24b,
18 September 1930, page 5a.
A photograph of the staff is in the Observer,
2 May 1914, page 31.
Also see South Australia - Industries - Rural, Primary and Secondary - Poultry.
The opening of the aerodrome is reported in the Advertiser,
3 August 1929, page 15a; also see
5 August 1929, page 3c,
10 August 1929, page 42a,
20 August 1938.
- A new aerodrome, to be called the Adelaide Aerodrome, is to be opened on [5 August 1929]... and has been secured by the Australian Aerial Services Ltd. To date it has involved an expenditure of £11,000. It has an area of 147 acres with a clear approach in all directions and an excellent surface. The hangar has a clear space of nearly 10,000 square feet and is fitted with electric light and power plugs. Adjoining the hangar are waiting rooms and a pilots' dressing room...
Photographs of an air pageant are in the Observer,
3 December 1927, page 37,
16 March 1929, page 37,
15 and 27 March 1930, pages 34 and 31,
of the "Southern Cross" on
1 September 1928, page 38,
a report is in the Advertiser,
16 October 1931, page 19e.
"Improvements at Parafield" is in the Advertiser,
20 March 1937, page 24b; also see
23 March 1937, page 23g; also see
8 April 1937, page 18e.
"New Buildings at Parafield" is in the Advertiser,
20 July 1937, page 12e; also see
18 November 1937, page 24e.