State Library of South Australia
Manning Index of South Australian History
  • South Australia
  • Adelaide
  • Port Adelaide
  • Place Names

  • About the Index
  • Searching
  • Text-based menus
    (Use this option if your browser will not open the folders.)

    Place Names of South Australia - S

    Stun'sail Boom River - Swan Reach

    Stun'sail Boom River


    On 7 November 1836 Robert Fisher and others found a stun'sail boom at its mouth.

    General Notes

    A discovery of tin in the vicinity is reported in the Register,
    2 October 1885, page 5a; also see
    14 October 1885, page 3e.

    Also see South Australia - Mining - Coal.

    Stun'sail Boom River - Swan Reach
    Place Names

    Sturdee, Hundred of


    In the County of Hopetoun was proclaimed as 'Scherk' on 21 January 1892, taking its present name in 1918. Admiral Sturdee of World War I.

    General Notes

    An obituary of Admiral Sturdee is in the Register, 8 May 1925, page 13b.

    Stun'sail Boom River - Swan Reach
    Place Names

    Sturt Bay

    The Register of 7 October 1872, page 6c says "the Surveyor-General has cancelled the survey of a township [on Yorke Peninsula] which was being laid out as Sturt Bay."

    Stun'sail Boom River - Swan Reach
    Place Names

    Sturt Light

    Parliamentary Paper 74/1874 records it as a school conducted in a dwelling-house by William Sealy with 11 enrolled pupils; it opened in 1873 and closed in 1877.
    The name no doubt refers to Cape Willoughby, the lighthouse of which was first known as "Sturt Light".
    Also see South Australia - Maritime Affairs - Lighthouses and Lightships.

    The Register of 7 October 1872, page 6c says "the Surveyor-General has cancelled the survey of a township [on Yorke Peninsula] which was being laid out as Sturt Bay."

    Stun'sail Boom River - Swan Reach
    Place Names

    Sturt, River

    An Essay on The Sturt River

    This river, discovered and named by Captain Collett Barker on 21 April 1831, gave the corporation a deal of trouble with its vagaries, for every winter, instead of getting steadier as it grew older, it seemed to become wilder and wilder and more unreliable, often striking out a new course for itself and doing much mischief. An interesting article in The Mail on 14 May 1921 says: ?the throat or windpipe [of Wano, the mythical creature of the Kaurna people,] would be the Sturt River... [Its] native name is wariparri - ?the wind river?.?

    Settlers in the vicinity wishing to reach Adelaide with their produce had to take it to the Lady Macdonnell Hotel to enable them to cross the creek but in 1840 they completed a bridge and although it was a small structure it was well built, with an arch effect, and was the pride of all residents. The government engineer, however, in constructing another bridge alongside it pulled the old one down, for the sake of the materials. Thus, without a bridge the citizens were compelled to perform their daily pilgrimage of some two or three miles along heavy country to reach their home.

    Solid workmanship was put into this work and for all but decades it withstood the torrent of the river when in flood. The advent of the motor car and lorry, however, made their mark and one of the longitudinal beams above the arch became badly cracked. Furthermore, with the increasing traffic, the bridge formed a bottleneck as two vehicles could not cross it and, in addition, was about six feet out of alignment. In 1928 the Marion District Council called for tenders for a new bridge and that designed by Messrs Edwin J. Beaumont & Co. was accepted. As much as possible of the stone and bricks taken from the old bridge was utilised in the new work.

    It was generally considered that the course of the stream was too narrow, too crooked and too much obstructed by trees, driftwood and shrubbery to allow a free flow of water and unless it was widened and straightened Glenelg would, inevitably, suffer periodical swamping. In the winter of 1876 it flooded many parts of the town and late rains caused it to come down bank high, causing some consternation amongst those unfortunate ratepayers who lived within range of its depredations.

    Vagrant streams from the Mount Lofty Ranges fed the Sturt and when heavy downpours occurred the narrow channel failed to accommodate the flow and as a consequence the water ran over the flats, rushed down the Glenelg railway and along the Bay Road to cover the low-lying portions of the town. In April 1876 a deputation waited upon the Commissioner of Public Works and asked for steps to be taken to prevent the flooding of Glenelg by the overflow of the River Sturt for during wet seasons the water ?lay about in great quantities at St Leonards and the people in the neighbourhood of Moseley's were inconvenienced when the water flowed down the line of railway.? Further, cellars that were ?perfectly dry a few years previously were full of fresh water which crept up the walls and destroyed the paper.?

    As the river was half a mile from the corporation's boundary it had no power to interfere with persons who interrupted the flow of the river which ran through the districts of West Torrens and Brighton and one of the deputation, Mr Wigley, opined that:

    In April 1877 a public meeting was held in the Pier Hotel in an attempt to secure the sum of £1,000 passed by the House of Assembly by the making of a special rate or otherwise. Following this meeting another deputation approached the Commissioner for Public Lands seeking an urgent remedy to the flooding problem and pointed out the illegality of the Corporation if it attempted to call a rate for a work to be executed over a mile from the boundaries of the township. Accordingly, they asked for the grant to be made unconditionally, but the Minister was unsympathetic and suggested that the corporation consider extending its boundaries. The deputation retired and ?it is understood that steps should be taken to carry out the suggestion of the Commissioner...?

    On 22 May 1877 the stream started running a torrent and, in its natural course the river passed under the railway bridge at Morphett's Crossing and spread over the land adjoining, while the sides of the railway afforded additional watercourses and there the flood rushed down in a stream at least 15 feet wide and three deep in places, until it got to a railway culvert about 400 yards above Miller's Corner, from whence it passed on to the vacant land on the northern side known as 'sanderson's [sic] Corner? where it made a small inland sea.

    At the Morphett Arms the water covered the crown of the road by more than a foot in some places while at the Morphett Bridge on the Bay Road which crossed the Sturt, the water was level with the bridge and further down it overflowed in to Sir John Morphett's estate. In consequence of the volume of water that came down so suddenly the river became divided into at least half a dozen streams which took the various directions referred to. Fortunately, the rains did not last long and, unquestionably, the diversion caused by the cutting made by the Glenelg Railway Company above Morphett's Crossing prevented a greater rush of water down the line towards the eastern side of Glenelg, but it had the effect of sending the floodwaters along each side of the road towards the Reedbeds.

    In September 1877 the Surveyor-General made a report to parliament as to the best means of preventing the overflow of the river and in it he suggested the problem could be remedied in two ways, namely, by building a new bridge on Brighton Road with a sufficient waterway and where the channel decreased at Sir John Morphett's boundary the surplus water to be carried off by drains south of and adjoining the line of railway and the main road, the waters from which would be intercepted by a cross drain leading into the river by an old flood channel of the river in Section 183. The total cost was estimated to be £5,174.

    The second part of the plan was to carry the whole of the excess waters by a cutting north of and adjoining the Brighton Road bridge, taking the water to the west side of the road and reducing the fall by a culvert and thence taking the water by the railway culvert, a culvert under the main road, and by a cutting through the sandy rise between Sections 171 and 152, Hundred of Adelaide, District of West Torrens, and by a drain thence through sections 169 and 187 to the Patawalonga Creek.

    The report was considered at a meeting of the corporation on 6 October 1877 and following an inspection it was said it was imperative that early action be taken to remedy the problem:

    Problems then arose with the acquisition of land, etc., while the Brighton District Council objected to the construction of the drain and modifications had to be made because the Glenelg corporation objected on the grounds that it would interfere with the width of its roads. The Surveyor-General afterwards found out that by going through land belonging to Sir Thomas Elder, Mr Gray and Dr McHenry, the difficulty could be got over, Negotiations took place and the land purchased from the first two named for £60 and £30 per acre, respectively, but the doctor's agents wanted £100 per acre. After delicate negotiation the price was reduced to £80 per acre and the Surveyor-General proceeded to take the necessary steps to undertake the works. However, a little later the doctor was asked to pay a ?little lawyer's bill? which had not to be paid in the cases of Sir Thomas and Mr Gray - the bill was paid after a variety of demands were made.

    However, further demands were forthcoming from Dr McHenry when floodgates and a double line of fences were asked for and refused. Later, a Bill was placed before the House of Assembly but was ?thrown out? because the Speaker ruled that, as it was a private one, notice should have been given to owners of the land affected by its provisions. The Bill was finally prepared but it was ?thrown out?, to which the Commissioner of Public Works commented that:

    The sum of £1,000 was eventually voted by parliament and in March 1878 the Surveyor-General visited the Sturt an ?finally decided on the steps to be taken to obviate the overflow of that river.? All this display of human frailty and greed prompted Mr W. Hitchcox to lodge a protest on behalf of the Glenelg citizenry:

    The construction work was commenced by the contractor, J.H. Cobb in February 1879, when 50 men were engaged, besides eight drays and some ploughs. The drain excavated was 18 feet wide by an average depth of five feet and ran from Patawalonga Creek in a north-east direction, through Sir Thomas Elder's land, towards his stables.

    It was hoped that the work would be completed before winter set in but this was not to be for in July 1879 a steady downpour brought such a volume of water down from the hills that the natural watercourses and artificial drains failed to cope thoroughly with the currents, with the result that many low-lying places along the line of the watercourse were partially flooded. However, the near-completed drain was, undoubtedly, the means of saving Glenelg from another experience such as it had undergone in previous winters, for the great volume of water which came down was safely diverted by the newly cut channel:

    The wisdom of the undertaking was evident in 1883 when ?but for it Glenelg would have looked not unlike the modern Venice and the people would probably have been compelled to shift from their houses and resort to boats, the channel.? However, it was insufficient to give vent to the strong current that poured from the hills and causing the river to overflow its banks on the eastern side and completely submerge surrounding country.

    In 1917 a Bill was prepared to finance a scheme costing £45,000, provision being made for the people to pay five per cent on the capital cost but, evidently, the Bill was not satisfactory to the bodies concerned and was not presented. In July 1922 the annoyance and damage caused by floodwaters in he vicinity of Morphettville, Plympton and Camden were brought under the notice of the Commissioner of Public Works by members of the District Councils of West Torrens and Marion and various local progress associations. They were informed that he had called for a report which stated that it would be necessary to construct a new bridge on Tapley's Hill Road at a cost of about £1,600 and to enlarge and construct a new channel at a cost of about £6,000, to enlarge the railway bridge and possibly the escape drains for the floodwaters.

    Although the river was to be a perpetual source of nuisance to the residents of Glenelg and elsewhere for many years, at times it afforded a deal of pleasure to those addicted to the sport of trout fishing. In 1880 5,000 trout ova from Tasmania were received by Mr Minchin, the Secretary of the Acclimatisation Society, and hatched in tanks by Mr D. Murray, J. Dunn of Mount Barker and W.J. Magarey, MP, prior to being released into local streams. Slowly, but surely, the foundation was laid for many a fine day's fishing in our local streams and to facilitate the sport, hatching boxes and a spawning pond, 60 feet by 40, were set up in the Thorndon Park reservoir where the young fish were fed on a diet of grated sheep's liver impregnated with wax.

    The river became prolific with trout and many fine fish were taken with rod and line, but in April 1913 some miscreants dynamited the pools from its outlet to its source at Upper Sturt and destroyed far more than they actually stole and an objector to this barbaric practice said that he had learned they were ?following the same method at some of Adelaide's reservoirs.?

    In conclusion, the modern-day storm water drainage of the district was commenced in the 1960s when additional drains to the east of the Sturt River were constructed and the Sturt channel straightened, while within the Patawalonga basin its banks were straightened. Interested readers may find further information in Historic Glenelg, Birthplace of South Australia.

    General Notes

    An interesting article is in The Mail, 14 May 1921, page 3 where Mr N.A. Webb links its nomenclature with "Wano" the mythical creature of the Kaurna tribe:

    Information on the bridge over the river is in the Observer,
    14 July 1849, page 3a.
    The removal of the 1840 "Morphett Bridge" is reported in the Register,
    1 May 1928, pages 8f-10 (photo.),
    1 May 1928, pages 8f-10 (photo.),
    5 May 1928, page 39d.

    "Improvement of the River Sturt" is in the Register,
    11 April 1876, page 7a.

    A report on the overflow of the river is in
    Parliamentary Paper 159/1877 and
    the Register,
    23 June 1883, page 6a; also see
    27 March 1877, page 6a for a report on an "inspection of the Sturt River" and
    10 April 1877, page 7a and
    11 and 24 May 1877, pages 6d and 5e,
    12 September 1877, page 5d,
    8 October 1877, page 5b,
    15 June 1878, page 1b (supp.),
    22 July 1878, page 6f,
    8 July 1879, page 6f,
    13 March 1878, page 5d,
    15 September 1877, page 10b; also see
    16 March 1878, page 11b,
    20 April 1878, page 8b,
    1 March 1879, page 21f,
    12 July 1879, page 14a,
    8 July 1879, page 6f.

    "Drainage of the Sturt" is in the Chronicle,
    28 December 1878, page 11a.

    Information on a bridge at Marion is in the Observer,
    18 April 1896, page 15d,
    30 May 1896, page 45b.

    Dynamiting of fish is reported in the Register on 25 April 1913, page 3d.

    Also see South Australia - Sport - Fishing.

    "Peaceful Beauty of Sturt Gorge" is in the Advertiser,
    24 October 1936, page 11c.

    "Drainage of the Sturt" is in the Chronicle,
    28 December 1878, page 11a.

    "Sturt Creek and Floods" is in the Register,
    7 January 1919, page 6g,
    19 July 1922, page 10c.
    Also see South Australia - Natural Disasters - Floods.

    Stun'sail Boom River - Swan Reach
    Place Names



    South Australia's greatest explorer was Captain Charles Sturt of the 39th. Regiment of the British Army, who came to New South Wales in 1827. He was keen to explore and Governor Darling listened to his desires of tracing inland rivers. He discovered the Darling, then did the epic journey down the Murray to the Murray Mouth, near Goolwa, in 1830. The chronicles of this journey were published in London and were an incentive for the colonisation scheme of South Australia. Sturt, who was not in the best of health, sold his army commission, tried farming in NSW then, after bringing cattle overland to Adelaide, he bought property which he called 'The Grange', in 1841. He lived there until 1853 when, with his family, he returned to England.

    General Notes

    Reference notes to the life and times of Charles Sturt in Australia are in the Register,
    7 October 1925, page 16c; also see
    5 December 1851, page 2c.

    "Sturt's City House" is in the Advertiser,
    15 June 1929, page 8e:

    The village on the River Murray at Moorundie is also advertised in the Register,
    26 February 1842, page 1c.

    "A Relic of Sturt", an 1844 letter, is in the Advertiser,
    16 June 1928, page 16d,
    "Famous Explorer" on
    16 June 1928, page 18c.
    An obituary of an 1844 party-member, D.G. Brock, is in the Register,
    10 June 1867, page 2d.

    An editorial on Captain Sturt is in the Observer,
    6 December 1851, page 5d.

    "A Chapter From the History of Australian Exploration" is in the Register,
    29 May 1865, page 3a.

    "Captain Sturt's Boat of 1845" is in the Observer,
    5 May 1866, page 4g.
    "Sturt's Boat" is in the Register,
    17 and 19 January 1917, pages 4g and 7e.

    An editorial "The Late Captain Sturt" is in the Register,
    3 August 1869, page 2d; also see
    10 August 1869, page 2g and
    3 and 6 September 1869, pages 2g and 2d.
    A correspondent said on
    4 August 1869, page 3h that Captain Sturt had told him that "they have offered to knight me but I think I am sufficiently known as Charles Sturt without any prefix..."

    "Brave Captain Sturt" is in the Observer,
    1 June 1901, page 34a.

    "A Valuable Diary - Interesting Discovery" being his personal diary for the period 9 April 1845 to 10 November 1845 is traversed in
    the Register on 11 February 1904; also see
    7 May 1904, page 6h.
    "In Memory of Sturt" is in the Register on
    28 February 1907, pages 4e-5f.

    "Through the Sturt Stony Desert" is in the Chronicle,
    8 February 1902, page 33e.

    A proposal to erect a statue in his honour in Adelaide is traversed in the Register,
    7 December 1906, page 4f,
    1 and March 1907, pages 7a and 8g,
    1 August 1908, page 8g,
    4, 5, 9, 19, 24 and 26 November 1909, pages 6e, 6e-7e, 4i, 4h, 6c and 7c,
    7 December 1909, page 10d,
    16 March 1910, page 6f,
    16 June 1910, page 6g,
    27 August 1910, page 12e,
    8 November 1910, page 4f,
    27 November 1909, page 33d.
    Also see Adelaide - Statues and Memorials.

    Also see Register,
    10, 14 and 15 November 1913, pages 9d, 3f and 18d,
    3 April 1914, page 7e,
    27 May 1914, page 8f,
    2 November 1914, page 4d,
    28 January 1915, page 4e,
    26 March 1915, page 11c,
    31 May 1916, page 6e,
    22 July 1916, page 9b,
    30 November 1916, page 4g,
    21 and 22 December 1916, pages 4d-e and 5b.
    A letter extolling him written by W.P. Auld appears on
    29 September 1909, page 7h.

    Information on a cannon, a relic of his River Murray exploration, is in the Express,
    27 July 1907, page 4g,
    28 November 1907, page 4e,
    4 October 1907, page 6e,
    28 November 1907, page 6d.

    "Sturt the Intrepid - Little Known Facts" is in the Register,
    9 November 1910, page 8g,
    "A Sketch of His Career" on
    20 December 1916, page 7b,
    "Captain Sturt and His Work" on
    14 April 1917, page 6e.

    An interview with Captain Sturt's daughter is reported in the Advertiser,
    29 July 1924, page 14c.

    The controversy of the name Central Mount Sturt (Stuart) is discusses in the Register,
    25 and 27 July 1927, pages 13f and 8f.
    Also see Place Names - Stuart.

    "Honoring the Memory of Sturt" is in the Advertiser,
    23 July 1929, page 12e.

    "Charles Sturt - Explorer" is in the Advertiser,
    8, 9 and 10 January 1930, pages 15f, 17g and 21d,
    "The Sturt Centenary" on
    11 January 1930, page 14d.
    The unveiling of a memorial on Hindmarsh Island is reported on
    20 January 1930, page 21d.
    Photographs are in the Observer,
    25 January 1930, pages 32-33.

    Stun'sail Boom River - Swan Reach
    Place Names


    Primitive Methodist Church records show it as the name of a chapel near Gawler on section 4031, Hundred of Munno Para -
    see GRO memorial book no. 178, folio 249 dated 13 July 1861;
    also see Chronicle 13 May 1865, page 3a for its reopening.

    Stun'sail Boom River - Swan Reach
    Place Names

    Sugarloaf Well

    Information on the well is in the Chronicle,
    15 March 1879, page 13c.

    Also see South Australia - Northern Lands Development and Allied Matters - Water, Artesian Wells and Springs.

    Stun'sail Boom River - Swan Reach
    Place Names

    Sultana Point


    The Sultana was wrecked on Troubridge Shoal on 28 September 1849.

    General Notes

    The grounding of the Sultana is reported in the Observer,
    6 October 1849, page 2a and
    the sale of the wreck in the Register,
    27 October 1849, page 2a.

    Stun'sail Boom River - Swan Reach
    Place Names



    In 1918 the Nomenclature Committee suggested it be changed to 'Worlatti', meaning 'summer', but the Government decided on Summerfield.

    General Notes

    The school opened in 1881 and became "Summerfield: in 1918;
    it closed in 1967.
    A photograph of students is in the Chronicle,
    24 August 1933, page 31.

    The opening of a Lutheran church is reported in the Register,
    29 November 1904, page 6e.

    The golden wedding of Mr & Mrs A. Strauss is reported in the Register,
    3 December 1910, page 15c.

    Stun'sail Boom River - Swan Reach
    Place Names



    Laid out by Charles Smith, on sections 6 and 8A Hundred of Onkaparinga in 1874. He advertised it as an ideal situation for city dwellers to escape from the heat of summer. A different version is given in local history; when postal authorities were requested to begin a post office they asked 'what to name the town'. Tom Percival, the storekeeper suggested 'Summertown' because he thought it an ideal place to live in the summertime as the temperature was approximately 10 degrees cooler than the city.

    General Notes

    A proposed Institute is discussed in the Register,
    5 December 1883, page 5b.

    "Police Protection for Summertown" is in the Chronicle,
    27 September 1884, page 3f.

    Also see South Australia - Police.

    A Show is reported in the Register,
    12 and 13 December 1884, pages 6f and 7d.
    Also see South Australia - Miscellany - Agricultural, Floricultural & Horticultural Shows .

    The laying of the foundation stone of the institute is reported in the Express,
    16 September 1884, page 2d;
    its opening in the Register,
    29 January 1885, page 7d.

    Information on the town and district is in the Advertiser,
    10 December 1873, page 3e,
    28 January 1893, page 10b,
    4 February 1893, page 9d,
    23 January 1893, page 6g,
    6, 8 and 14 February 1893, pages 6c, 6c and 6b.
    A snow fall is reported on
    1 July 1904, page 5b.

    A market gardener's house and property are described in the Observer,
    22 March 1890, page 6a.

    "Adelaide to Summertown" is in the Weekly Herald,
    30 April 1897, page 2a,
    7 May 1897, page 2a.

    A field naturalists excursion upon Joseph Johnson's property is reported in the Register,
    16 December 1902, page 6i.

    A snow fall is reported upon in the Register,
    1 July 1904, page 5c.

    Information on James Trenorden is in the Register,
    29 March 1909, page 4h,
    on Frank V. Trenorden on
    9 February 1928, page 9g.

    The closure of the hotel is reported in the Register,
    30 June 1913, page 15d,
    28 June 1913, page 17b.

    The opening of the "Gates of Memory" is reported in the Register,
    25 October 1920, page 8d.
    A photograph is in the Chronicle,
    2 August 1919, page 30.
    Also see South Australia - World War I - Memorials to the Fallen.

    "Life in Roadmaking Camp at Summertown" is in The News,
    21 December 1928, page 12a.

    Summertown - Obituaries

    An obituary of John Deeney is in the Register,
    21 and 22 July 1897, pages 5i and 6e,
    of William Percival in the Observer, 21 January 1899, page 44a,
    of Robert Bonython on 24 November 1906, page 38d,
    of John Keir on 15 December 1906, page 34e,
    of Nicholas Stentiford on 8 May 1909, page 38b,
    of James Trenorden on 29 April 1911, page 41a,
    of William Sitters on 2 October 1915, page 22b,
    of Robert Cornish on 21 July 1923, page 35c,
    of George Gore, market gardener, on 22 September 1928, page 49b.

    An obituary of Christian Domaschenz is in the Register,
    24 January 1927, page 8f.

    Stun'sail Boom River - Swan Reach
    Place Names


    The Sunbury Chapel in the "Troubridge Area" was opened on
    25 January 1874 - "It is intended to use the building as long as required for a day school..." - See
    7 February 1874, p. 7c.

    "New Seaside Retreat" is in the Observer,
    29 January 1876, page 5d.

    A letter expressing concern about the local water supply is in the Observer,
    27 July 1878, page 21e: "[the government] is about to fence off from the public the well called East Hut Well..."
    Also see South Australia - Water Conservation.

    A photograph of a women's football team is in the Register,
    4 September 1928, page 10,
    of a cricket team is in the Chronicle,
    25 May 1933, page 37.

    Stun'sail Boom River - Swan Reach
    Place Names

    Sunday, Lake


    On section 475, Hundred of Melville. [Charles Parrington discovered it on a Sunday - R. Cockburn.] He arrived in the Cygnet in 1836 and for many years was in the employ of Alfred Weaver, a pioneer pastoralist on Yorke Peninsula.

    General Notes

    It is described in The Life and Adventures of Edward Snell (Angus & Robertson, 1988), page 122, while a sketch of a shepherd's hut appears on page 123. - "The most miserable hut I ever saw... the chimney was constructed of sheep skins and the roof as well ventilated as could be desired."

    Its school opened in 1881 and closed in 1942.

    An obituary and photograph of Mrs Mary Parrington are in the Observer,
    15 November 1902, page 25a,
    of Mrs Annie Stephens on 5 September 1914, page 46a.

    Stun'sail Boom River - Swan Reach
    Place Names

    Sunning Hill

    Near Chain of Ponds; the Register of
    15 March 1866, page 2d has a report of an anniversary of its Wesleyan Chapel; also see
    25 August 1866, page 3a,
    11 February 1874, page 2c.

    The Register of
    23 May 1870, page 1d carries an advertisement for the sale of R.B. Lucas's farm, "Sunning Hill".
    His obituary is in the Register,
    16 May 1895, page 5d, when he was described as "one of the pioneers of the winemaking industry".

    The Sunning Hill Vineyards are mentioned in the Observer,
    1 July 1871, page 13a.
    Also see South Australia - Industries - Rural, Primary and Secondary.

    A strawberry fete at the Methodist Church is reported in the Register,
    19 December 1905, page 10g.

    Stun'sail Boom River - Swan Reach
    Place Names

    Sunny Hill

    Photographs of the aftermath of a cyclone are in the Observer,
    23 March 1913, page 30.

    An obituary of Mrs Harriet Colliver is in the Observer,
    26 December 1914, page 41a.

    Stun'sail Boom River - Swan Reach
    Place Names

    Sunny Spring Glen

    This subdivision near Bridgewater is described in the Register,
    14 and 21 January 1926, pages 5e and 4c.

    Stun'sail Boom River - Swan Reach
    Place Names

    Sunny Vale

    Information on the school is in the Observer,
    30 July 1892, page 30a.

    A photograph of the laying of the foundation stone of the Methodist Church is in the Chronicle,
    16 November 1912, page 30,
    of Mr H.J. Coote's son and his "two faithful dogs" on
    3 July 1915, page 29,
    of "house moving" by tractor on
    12 April 1924, page 38.

    An obituary of S.T. Lamshed is in the Observer,
    4 November 1916, page 14b.

    Stun'sail Boom River - Swan Reach
    Place Names

    Sunnybrae Farm


    It takes its name from the historic farm near Islington which 'supplied dairy produce for the whole State in [the] early days'.

    General Notes

    An advertisement for the sale of Sunnybrae Dairy and Poultry Farm is in the Register,
    11 and 18 May 1914, pages 11h and 13.

    Also see Adelaide - Public Health - Milk Supply.

    Stun'sail Boom River - Swan Reach
    Place Names


    Mr Milne's vineyard is described in the Advertiser,
    24 December 1861, page 2e.
    Also see South Australia - Industries - Rural, Primary and Secondary - Viticulture.

    Information on Sunnyside House is in the Chronicle,
    15 January 1876, page 12c;
    its sale is reported in the Register,
    26 June 1914, page 8f,
    31 July 1919, page 4g.
    29 March 1922, page 4 (includes a photo.).
    The house and grounds are described on
    7 April 1925, page 3h.

    Photographs of a motor cycle hill climb are in the Chronicle,
    5 November 1931, page 34.
    Also see South Australia - Sport - Cycling.

    Stun'sail Boom River - Swan Reach
    Place Names


    A protest against shifting the school "in the Hundred of Whyte... a good three miles further west" is reported in the Advertiser,
    11 May 1926, page 13b.

    Stun'sail Boom River - Swan Reach
    Place Names



    Hannah Gray Sutherland perpetuated her name when she cut up section 196 and part section 197, Hundred of Mount Muirhead in 1916; now included in Millicent.

    General Notes

    The obituary of Peter Sutherland is in the Register,
    29 October 1912, page 7d and
    William Sutherland on 19 November 1915, page 6f;
    that of W.B. Sutherland is in the Advertiser,
    16 September 1925, page 13b.

    The sale notice of the sudivision at Millicent (copy held in State Bank Archive, Adelaide) says, inter alia: "Known as the Old Racecourse (Mrs Peter Sutherland)".

    Stun'sail Boom River - Swan Reach
    Place Names



    William Sutherland, who took up sections 245 and 250, Hundred of Neales in July 1881.

    General Notes

    A "water famine" is reported upon in the Register,
    10 February 1883, page 5e.
    its water supply is discussed in the Chronicle,
    24 February 1894, page 12d,
    21 November 1896, page 14e.
    Also see South Australia - Water Conservation.

    A missionary meeting is reported in the Register,
    7 June 1883, page 5a.

    The school opened in 1889 and closed in 1953.

    A sports day is reported in the Chronicle,
    9 September 1893, page 8a.

    Information on the local wood-supply business is in the Register,
    2 February 1894, page 6d.

    Local flooding is discussed in the Chronicle,
    10 March 1894, pages 9e-22g; also see
    8 and 9 March 1894, pages 3d and 3d,
    26 February 1908, page 7c.
    "Floods on the Murray Flats" is in the Register,
    8 December 1902, page 6d.
    Also see South Australia - Natural Disasters - Floods.

    A picnic is reported in the Chronicle,
    1 January 1896, page 31a.

    "The Wants of Sutherlands" is in the Register,
    19 August 1898, page 6d,
    10 September 1898, page 10d,
    20 August 1898, page 29b.

    The plight of farmers is discussed in the Register,
    25 November 1901, page 8c,
    23 October 1902, page 3e.
    A photograph is in the Observer,
    22 January 1910, page 30.
    Farming conditions are discussed in the Chronicle,
    22 February 1902, page 30c,
    8 and 22 March 1902, pages 35d and 29a.
    A meeting of distressed farmers is reported in the Advertiser,
    26 November 1901, page 7f.
    "Dry Farming" is in the Register,
    26 November 1906, page 7d.
    Also see South Australia - Northern Lands Development and Allied Matters - Comments on Goyder's line.

    A storm of "unparalleled violence" is reported in the Register,
    28 April 1909, page 3d,
    1 May 1909, page 44b.

    "The chief production of this place seems to be children and firewood" - see Register,
    23 August 1909, page 5g.

    Sutherlands - Obituaries

    An obituary of David French is in the Register,
    21 October 1899, page 7c,
    of Mrs Anna E. Bartsch on 20 March 1928, page 8g,
    of Wilhelm A. Doecke on 12 May 1928, page 6d.

    An obituary of Mrs Mary D. Murphy, hotelier, is in the Observer,
    29 October 1927, page 45c.

    Stun'sail Boom River - Swan Reach
    Place Names

    Sutton Town


    A subdivision of section 259, Hundred of Blanche 6 km north of Mount Gambier by Charles Burney Young in 1860. He probably named it after the village of Sutton in his native County of Devon from whence he emigrated.

    General Notes

    Examinations at a Catholic school are reported in the Catholic Herald,
    20 January 1868, page 80.

    Parliamentary Paper 36/1873 shows the school being conducted by Joseph Cadwallader with 56 enrolled pupils; it opened in 1869.

    The diamond wedding of Mr & Mrs J. McDonough is in the Register,
    2 March 1923, page 8g.

    Photographs of and information on the school's calf club members are in the Chronicle,
    4 and 11 August 1932, pages 32 and 7.

    Stun'sail Boom River - Swan Reach
    Place Names

    Swan Reach


    The name is descriptive; there were numerous black swans on the river in the early days of settlement.

    General Notes

    Rogers & Co's Swan Reach station is described in the Register,
    11 April 1887, page 5h.

    Its school opened in 1902.
    A photograph of students is in the Observer,
    26 October 1907, page 30.

    Information on the ferry is in the Express,
    17 February 1897, page 2d,
    11 August 1897, page 6i,
    18 January 1902, page 28e.
    A photograph is in the Chronicle,
    8 January 1910, page 30.

    A Show is reported in the Observer,
    7 October 1899, page 7b
    18 October 1901, page 9h; also see
    25 October 1904, page 3f,
    26 October 1907, page 40c,
    18 October 1911, page 11e.
    Photographs are in the Observer,
    17 October 1908, page 32,
    28 October 1911, page 29.
    Also see South Australia - Agricultural, Floricultural & Horticultural Shows .

    "Among the Settlers" is in the Express,
    6 September 1905, page 2d.

    The town and district are described in the The Critic,
    12 November 1907, page 4 (photograph),
    28 October 1908, page 9f,
    31 October 1908, page 13e,
    28 December 1909, page 6c,
    1 January 1910, page 39e,
    30 October 1926, page 7d.
    Photographs are in the Observer,
    26 October 1907, page 30.

    A photograph of "high water" is in the Chronicle,
    2 April 1910, page 31,
    of Murray cod catches on
    29 April 1911, page 29,
    3 June 1911, page 29,
    of the wharf on
    20 May 1911, page 30,
    of flooding in the Observer,
    13 October 1917, page 23,
    27 August 1931, page 32,
    28 January 1932, page 33; also see
    6 April 1933, page 36.

    A photograph of Mr B. Schwarz and his Murray cod catch is in the Observer,
    3 June 1911, page 32. Also see Place Names - Murray River - Fishing
    of the laying of the foundation stone of the Congregational Church on
    11 April 1914, page 30.

    Flooding at Swan Reach is reported in the Register,
    4 October 1917, page 4d,
    6 October 1917, page 30e.
    Also see Place Names - Murray River - Flooding.

    Biographical details of Mrs D. Roy are in the Register,
    11 April 1919, page 6h.

    "Aborigines at Swan Reach" is in the Observer,
    28 November 1925, page 36a.
    Information on an Aboriginal Mission is in The Mail,
    9 May 1936, page 9a,
    1 August 1936, page 4.
    Photographs are in the Chronicle,
    9 May 1929, page 40,
    of an Aboriginal camp in the Observer,
    10 December 1927, page 8 (supp.).
    Also see South Australia - Aboriginal Australians.

    "Life on the Murray River" is in The Mail,
    26 December 1925, page 1a.

    "A Swan Reach Cave" is in the Advertiser,
    17 January 1936, page 21a; also see
    The Mail,
    18 July 1936, page 4.

    Stun'sail Boom River - Swan Reach
    Place Names

    Swan, Mount


    On section 254, Hundred of Tarcowie. H.C. Swan(n) who held a pastoral lease at Walloway Hill in 1854.

    General Notes

    Complimentary dinners to Mr H.C. Swan are reported in the Register,
    8 January 1870, page 5e and
    3 March 1870, page 5b - the latter was held at Blinman on the occasion of him leaving the Angorichina Run.
    An obituary is in the Observer,
    12 September 1908, page 40a.

    The Mount Swan School opened in 1924 and closed in 1939.

    Stun'sail Boom River - Swan Reach