Place Names of South Australia - V
Vale Park - Von Doussa
- Vale Park
- Vasey Island
- Vansittart Park
- Venus Bay
- Victor Harbor
- Victoria Creek
- Vincent, Port
- Victor, Mount
- Victoria, Port
- Victoria Park
- Victoria Square
- Vine Vale
- Vivian, Mount
- Vivonne Bay
- Von Doussa, Hundred of
Takes its name from 'Vale House', purchased by Philip Levi in November 1856. In November 1947 the last surviving member of the family, Constance Levi, offered the house and ten acres of land to the Walkerville Corporation for the purpose of a public park which today is known as 'Levi Park'.
An obituary of Mrs N.P. Levi is in the Register,
16 March 1889, page 5a,
16 March 1889, page 29c,
of Edmund Levi on
3 August 1895, page 31c,
of Charles Levi in the Register,
24 April 1900, page 5d.
Philip Levi's obituary is in the Register,
16 May 1898, page 6c.
Information on the subdivision appears on
24 August 1922, page 5.
Rev William Vansittart, who originally owned the section and with his partner George Glen founded the well-known "Mayurra Station''.
A controversy over Mr Vansittart's bequest to Saint Peter's College is aired in the Register,
6 December 1887, page 7f.
- I note by the local papers a dispute has arisen between Mr G. Glen and the Governors of St Peter's College in reference to the late Mr William Vansittart's Scholarship at the college... Having myself known [him] and his broad, liberal and philanthropic views, I feel sure his intention was to leave it open to the district at large... The suggestion of the Bishop confining the scholarship to boys born and resident south of the Murray brings [its] scope rightly within the intention of the late Mr Vansittart...
"The rocky island of the Hundred of Ulipa" is named after a warden of the Marine Board; see Advertiser,
21 January 1910, page 6e.
A town in the Hundred of Allen 8 km north of Alawoona, proclaimed on 8 June 1916, takes its name from a well sunk by Mr Veitch in 1882.
The district is described in the Advertiser,
13 February 1908, page 8b and
the well in the Register,
29 May 1909, page 11a.
An Experimental Farm at the well is described in the Register,
6 June 1910, page 9d,
25 June 1910, page 14a and
16 June 1925, page 15d; also see
13 October 1931, page 13c.
The farm [here] is in the midst of unsurveyed country... When the property was taken up by the government two years ago, eight acres were planted with wheat, simply as a "trial" experiment and gave such a good return - 14 bushels to the acre - that last season it was decided to crop 21 acres... The aggregate yield was 21 bushels per acre... recently there have been erected a substantial dwelling house of six rooms and commodious stables and outbuildings...
Venus Harbor (now called Venus Bay) is a small indenture on the coastline on the west coast forming part of Anxious Bay which was charted and named by Matthew Flinders in 1802. He assigned no name to this little harbor, but his chart of the above date, with additions made by Commanders Wickham, Stokes and Lipson in later years, shows the name 'Venus Harbor'. Venus Bay derives from the circumstance that a schooner named Venus was the first vessel to enter the bay.
The Observer of
15 May 1848, page 3e says: "The Venus which arrived yesterday from Flinders Island reports having discovered a new harbour, bar bound, in Anxious Bay." Also see
19 January 1924, page 46b.
"Venus Bay Natives" is in the Register,
30 June 1862, page 3b.
A description of the country and pastoralists between Port Lincoln and Venus Bay is in the Observer of
6 February 1875, page 10g; also see
11 August 1906, page 10h.
A proposed jetty is discussed in the Observer,
25 August 1877, page 7d,
15 November 1879, page 19c.
"Sponges at Venus Bay" is in the Register,
27 August 1909, page 4f and
"Venus Bay Sponge Syndicate" in the Observer,
27 August 1910, page 45d.
- [It] is destined to rise from a position of comparative insignificance to one of considerable importance. A discovery of sponges is expected to effect the transformation. In this land-locked harbour it is stated that sponges grow and can be cut like cabbage and a large quantity can be obtained at a minimum cost... The government... has granted a discovery lease... At present Australia depends upon Europe for its sponges... Messrs C.H. Goode, L.H. Scammell and P. Habib were elected directors of the syndicate.
9 February 1911, page 6e,
18 February 1911, page 50c.
"Venus Harbour or Port Camilla?" is in the Observer,
3 January 1920, page 44d.
A proposed jetty is discussed in the Register,
13 October 1925, page 11g,
11 May 1926, page 11h.
Information on the police station on1 April 1926, page 12c.
Also see South Australia - Police.
Its school opened in 1939 and closed in 1955.
A World War I battlefield in France. The name was changed from 'Grunthal' in 1918 after the Nomenclature Committee suggested 'Tumbeela' meaning 'evergreen', but this was vetoed by the Government.
Its school opened as "Grunthal"; name changed in 1918 and closed in 1970.
Hon. John Verran, MP (1901-1918). Born in Cornwall in July 1856, he came to South Australia with his parents in 1857 in the Burlington, when they settled at Kapunda until removing to Moonta in 1864; by age nine he was working in the mines. By 1906 he was Leader of the Labor Party and two years later became Premier. During World War I he took issue with his Party over conscription issues and became an outcast and joined the National Party of which he became President in 1922, in which year he unsuccessfully contested the Senate; in 1927 he filled a casual vacancy in that House only to be defeated fourteen months later at a general election. 'Bluff in manner and speech, he never minced words, characteristics which earned him the sobriquet "Honest John''.' He died in June 1932 and is buried at Moonta Mines
Verran Point on Saint Peter's Island was named in 1910 - see Advertiser,
21 January 1910, page 6e.
"Pioneering at Verran" is in the Chronicle,
2 April 1910, page 13a.
- Last September Mr Smith with his wife and family of nine children... caught the steamer Investigator at Port Adelaide [and] they were safely landed at Arno Bay. Thence they trekked to their selection by means of a bullock dray... The absence of any water on or adjacent to Mr Smith's section became a matter of great anxiety... for months they have carried it in buckets from the Mindura Soak, a distance of six miles...
17 October 1911, page 3b.
The Verran Siding School opened in 1913 and closed in 1941.
Information on Mr Verran is in the Weekly Herald,
31 March 1900, page 3b,
15 June 1901, page 3a,
14 June 1902, page 1a.
His reminiscences are in the Advertiser,
7 December 1912, page 8f,
cartoons in The Critic,
8 February 1911, page 3,
22 March 1911, page 3,
1 May 1911, page 3,
27 September 1911, page 3,
2 October 1912, page 3,
"Politician and Preacher" in The Mail,
11 August 1917, page 6b,
"John Verran - His Life" in The News,
7 and 9 July 1931, pages 6d and 8e;
an obituary is in the Advertiser,
8 July 1932, page 15e.
A photograph of the Prettyjohn family leaving the district for Quorn is in the Chronicle,
17 September 1931, page 34,
of a tennis team on
28 June 1934, page 34.
VictoriaA plan of the subdivision near Gawler is in GRG 59, Series 47 in the State Records Office - see below under "Victoria Creek"..
The Observer of
27 April 1867, page 2d (supp.) reports on a town of Victoria established in 1842, "near Hamilton"; also see
26 October 1907, page 37d-e.
- You mention that in 1842 Mr Morphett had acquired special surveys and the township of Victoria on the Light River, and that the latter had not apparently thriven. May I mention that in Kapunda on the River Light there is a portion known as Victoria township... I was born [there]... About 20 years ago the old Victoria Hotel (situated on the Burra a hundred yards north of the present North Kapunda railway platform) was demolished...
Victor, MountIt was called "Karlinka" by the Aborigines - see Register,
7 May 1894, page 6c.
- Karlinka, as Mount Victor was called by the natives, when approached from the head station has a razorback, rugged appearance. Its neighbourhood has been prospected for many years, particularly when the silver boom was on; but gold was found in the vicinity of Karlinka some time before that. The obsession of the pegging out of claims, which of late have been the object of considerable attention, was the discovery of gold by a prospector named Henry Kirkeek on what is now known as the Treasure or Reward Claim in January last....
Victoria CreekThe Observer of 12 December 1857, page 1g has an advertisement which says:
- George Warren will lay out into a township and sell, on a day to be named, Section No. 984 (?), Barossa, adjoining Victoria Hotel. The land is good with permanent water..
Victoria ParkAn obituary of B. Mellett is in the Register,
17 June 1913, page 6g.
Victoria Square"The Genesis of Victoria Square" is recalled in the Register,
1 and 7 December 1923, pages 11d and 9d.
"Planting Victoria Square" is in the Observer,
10 June 1854, page 11c; also see
21 October 1854, page 4c,
3 January 1857, page 3e,
15 January 1867, page 2c.
A "carriage road" is discussed in the Register,
12 August 1867, page 2e,
17 August 1867, page 2f.
An interesting account of its early history is in the Register,
24 March 1874, page 5c; also see
27 April 1874, page 5d,
19 August 1874, page 4d,
24 November 1874, page 5d and Adelaide - Transport - Railways in respect of the Glenelg railway.
- In the map of the original surveys to be found in the Land Office two narrow allotments fronting north, and south and running the whole width of what is now Victoria Square, are shown... On one of the acres, that to the northward, have been sketched in the outlines of a cathedral, a piece of gratuitous ornamentation on the part of the draftsman which in process of time led to one of the most famous causes celebres to be met with in the annals of the province. No hint is given as to the purpose to which the other acre was to be applied... The remainder of the square is left blank... In a map... printed by the House of Commons and published by John Arrowsmith... on February 18, 1839 the reserve is differently represented...
31 January 1874, page 11a,
7 March 1874, page 11f.
"The Town Clerk and Victoria Square" is in The Irish Harp,
3 April 1874, page 4a.
"Cutting Up the Square" is in the Chronicle,
28 February 1874, page 12a,
28 March 1874, page 8e,
23 May 1874, page 12d
5 September 1874, page 12a,
"The Victoria Square Scheme" in the Observer,
4 April 1874, page 13f,
29 August 1874, page 13e.
Complaints about a railway running through it appear on a regular basis in the Register from
29 January 1875, page 6g until
22 February 1875, page 5d.
An objection to the "barbarous gates and posts placed across the entrances to the central path..." is made in the Register,
8 July 1875, page 7e; also see
7 and 17 June 1876, pages 7d and 6e;
the following letters and comment contain an interesting exchange of views between Sir George Kingston and Thomas Worsnop -
5, 9, 12, 14, 17, 24 and 26 October 1876, pages 6b, 7b-c, 6f, 6d, 5f, 5g and 6c.
A satirical poem entitled "Worsnop - Leave the Square!" is in the Observer,
28 October 1876, page 14b.
A contoversy of roads running through the square is discussed in the Register,
5, 9, 12, 14, 17 and 24 October 1876, pages 6b, 7c, 6f, 6d, 5f and 5g.
An editorial on a proposed "straight line" road through the Square is in the Register,
15 April 1878, page 4c; also see
25 November 1881, page 4d,
8, 10, 14 and 15 December 1881, pages 4e, 4g, 4e-5b and 1a (supp.),
21 November 1882 (supp.), page 1d,
1 and 5 December 1883, pages 4g and 1c (supp.),
25, 26 and 27 June 1884, pages 7d, 5a-7d and 6a,
7 May 1884, page 4g.
"The Tramways and Victoria Square" is in the Express,
19 August 1884, page 3d.
A sketch is in the Pictorial Australian in June 1885, page 5.
An amusing tilt against civic authority appears under the heading "Philosophers and Perambulators" in the Register,
21 September 1885, page 7c.
"Our Squares and Park Lands" is in the Register,
1 September 1900, page 7a.
"Victoria Square - What Might Have Been - Project of 35 Years Ago" is in the Advertiser,
27 November 1909, page 12e.
"Marring a Beauty Spot" is in the Advertiser,
30 and 31 May 1910, pages 10i and 10d,
30 June 1910, page 8e,
"Adelaide's Heart" on
10 June 1911, page 7.
"Public Convenience" is in the Register,
22 December 1910, page 4e.
"Obsolete Railings Around Squares" is in the Register,
24 June 1924, page 9e.
"Ups and Downs of Victoria Square Railings" is in The Mail,
30 March 1929, page 13a; also see
22 March 1929, page 13c.
Remodelling of the square is discussed in the Register,
10 March 1930, pages 3a-6c.
Victoria, PortRobert Cock's report of his exploration of Yorke Peninsula is in the Register,
15 June 1839, page 2b.
The Southern Australian of
4 September 1839, page 2d says:
In a few days the plans will be out for the Township and Port when [I] will be empowered to offer several Town Lots at a reasonable rate.
(Also see Southern Australian, 2 October 1839, page 1.)
4 January 1921, page 5e.
A controversy over the names "Port Victor" and "Victor Harbor" and confusion with Port Victoria together with background history is in the Register,
8 January 1921, page 6f; also see
21 January 1921, page 4e.
A regatta is reported in the Chronicle,
2 January 1869, page 5c.
The school opened in 1879; see Register,
23 April 1880, page 6e.
Information on it and the teacher's residence which "was a miserable pigeon-box" is in the Register,
9 July 1885, page 7d.
A photograph of students is in the Observer,
6 April 1907, page 30; also see
15 March 1913, page 17b,
30 June 1923, page 23.
"The Wants of Port Victoria" are discussed in the Register,
23 April 1880, page 6e and
the town is described in the Advertiser,
7 December 1877, page 6e,
23 July 1885, page 6d,
2 May 1904, page 3b,
6 July 1926, page 14.
The town and district are described in the Observer,
23 November 1907, page 51a; also see
17 July 1926, page 19c.
Information on the cricket club is in the Chronicle,
9 September 1882, page 22a.
A cricket match is reported in the Express,
21 August 1886, page 4b.
Also see South Australia - Sport - Cricket - Miscellany.
Information on a breakwater is in the Observer,
3 June 1882, page 8b.
A sports day is reported upon in the Observer,
6 January 1883, page 20c,
2 January 1886, page 15b,
1 January 1887, page 22d,
4 January 1896, page 15c.
Mr Hinck's new flour mill is described in the Register,
14 March 1883, page 6e. Also see South Australia - Industries - Rural, Primary and Secondary - Farming - Mills
An obituary of H.S. Hincks is in the Observer,
10 October 1925, page 41e.
"Bathing from the Beach" is in the Register,
4 April 1884, page 4g.
Also see Adelaide - Beaches and Bathing.
Information on the laying of the foundation stone of St Alban's Church is in the Register,
16 July 1885, page 5c.
Information on its water supply is in the Chronicle,
2 January 1886, page 8e.
Also see South Australia - Water Conservation.
An alleged gold discovery in the district is reported in the Register,
22 December 1886, page 5d.
Also see South Australia - Mining - Gold.
The laying of the foundation stone of the Institute is reported in the Chronicle,
24 September 1892, page 9b and
its opening in the Observer,
2 September 1893, page 16a.
Information on the town and Mr Charles Willing, "A Veteran Maildriver" is in the Advertiser,
4 November 1911, page 17c.
A photograph of Mr P. Argent, "a champion wheat lumper", is in the Chronicle,
6 April 1912, page 32,
of Australia Day celebrations on
14 August 1915, page 29.
"Port Victoria's Misfortunes" is in the Register,
15 and 18 March 1913, pages 15f and 7c,
27 May 1913, page 10e,
17 June 1913, page 9d,
2 July 1913, page 15c,
22 March 1913, page 44a,
31 May 1913, page 41e,
5 July 1913, page 38a.
"Neglected Port Victoria" is in the Register,
22 March 1916, page 4g,
"Port Victoria's Reputation" on
11 January 1921, page 6e.
A formal request for a deep sea port appears on
15 April 1926, page 12h.
Biographical details of Mrs W. Parry are in the Observer,
31 May 1919, page 30d and
an obituary on 24 April 1926, page 28c,
obituary of William Parry on 12 June 1926, page 44d.
"Jetty Charges" is in the Observer,
6 September 1919, page 31a.
"Lutheran Church Disturbed - Forget and Forgive" is in the Observer,
4 February 1922, page 29e.
Also see South Australia - World War I - Germans in South Australia.
The opening of the memorial hall is reported in the Register,
22 December 1925, page 11h.
Photographs are in the Chronicle,
26 December 1925, page 37.
Also see South Australia - World War I - Memorials to the Fallen.
The renewal of the lease for golf course land, provided "a guarantee be given that no play would take place on Sundays", is discussed in the Observer,
17 July 1926, page 17d.
Also see South Australia - Religion - Breaking the Sabbath.
Photographs of a flour mill are in the Register,
3 May 1928, page 10,
5 and 12 May 1928, pages 18 and 13,
of sailing ships on
9 February 1933, page 37,
15 February 1934, page 33,
of salt scraping on
15 February 1934, page 31.
Port Victoria - Obituaries
An obituary of Adam McArthur is in the Register,
7 March 1899, page 7c,
of Henry Hincks on 28 May 1902, page 5a,
of Andrew McArthur in the Observer, 9 December 1911, page 41b,
of Mrs Mary Fraser on 3 March 1923, page 35b.
An obituary of H.J. Newton is in the Register,
24 November 1910, page 6g,
of Joseph Renowden (Trenowden?) on 8 September 1921, page 8f,
of Mrs T. Coulter on 26 September 1925, page 8h,
of William Parry on 21 April 1926, page 8h.
Takes its name from the 'Port Vincent Special Survey' of 1839; in May of 1839 Robert Cock with James Hughes and some attendants made an exploratory trip to Port Vincent and across Yorke Peninsula to Port Victoria on behalf of the 'Adelaide Survey Association'. In June of 1839 a special survey was taken by J.B. Hack and J. Russell:
Port St Vincent is described in the Chronicle,
23 April 1870, page 10c,
1 September 1877, page 3f; also see
24 August 1877, page 3d.
The district's first ploughing match is reported in the Observer,
10 August 1878, page 6f; also see
13 September 1881 (supp.), page 1f and,
for a mullenizing match,
6 October 1883, page 1e (supp.).
Also see South Australia - Industries - Rural, Primary and Secondary - Ploughing Matches.
An account of a child lost in the scrub is reported in the Register,
26 July 1881, page 5a.
Its school opened in 1881.
Information on the jetty is in the Register,
7, 18 and 22 February 1882, pages 5b, 6c and 2d (supp.),
11, 18 and 25 February 1882, pages 27b-36a, 23c and 22e,
4 March 1882, page 27b,
4 November 1882, page 8a.
Information on salt works is in the Register,
28 March 1882, page 1g (supp.),
1 April 1882, page 29b.
- Some few months ago, Mr Telfer, chemist of Wallaroo, bought a lease of a salt lake near Port Vincent and he has lately erected works there for the manufacture of all qualities of salts used in this colony. The building comprises a stone dwelling house, drying room and store room... Through considerable trouble and exertion Mr Telfer has been enabled to make over 150 tons of coarse and fine salt per month...
The town is described in the Advertiser,
24 August 1877, page 7d,
23 April 1904, page 9e,
29 June 1926, page 14 and
the salt works on
28 March 1882 (supp.), page 1g.
Photographs are in the Observer,
20 October 1906, pages 28-29,
16 and 23 February 1907, pages 29 and 32,
17 June 1911, page 32,
21 and 28 January 1928, pages 39 and 40,
9 February 1929, page 42.
A field naturalists' excursion is reported in the Register,
27 April 1886, page 7g, 1 May 1886, page 6f.
A proposed steam ship service is discussed in the Observer,
11 September 1897, page 29d.
Also see South Australia - Maritime Affairs.
"A Growing Seaport" is in the Register,
2 July 1907, page 5a.
The opening of the institute is reported in the Express,
30 December 1910, page 1f.
An obituary of F.W. Luxmoore is in the Observer,
6 November 1915, page 45c,
of Daniel McPharlin on 27 June 1925, page 11a,
of John Kerr on 20 February 1926, page 35d.
"Heroic Deed in State's Early History Recalled" is in The Mail,
28 December 1935, page 4.
Vine ValeAccording to records in the Department of Education its school opened in 1921; also see Advertiser,
19 March 1927, page 17c.
A photograph of the school's mouth organ band is in the Chronicle,
24 August 1933, page 36.
- The school was officially opened by the Premier, Hon. L.L.Hill, on 18 March 1927. The school is composed of a single class room, 24 feet square, having cloak and shelter accommodation and provision for the teaching of woodwork...
Daniel Brady (c.1797-1889) laid it out in 1858 on part sections 3035 and 176, Hundreds of Port Adelaide and Munno Para, naming it after his native town in County Cavan, Ireland
The opening of a bridge at "Fisher's Crossing" is reported in the Register,
13 February 1858, page 3f; also see
28 July 1869, page 3d.
A testimonial to John Nash is reported in the Register,
18 January 1867, page 2g.
Its school opened in 1861.
Examinations atre reported in the Express,
28 December 1867, page 2e,
20 March 1869, page 7e.
14 August 1911, page 9f for some school history.
A horse race meeting is reported in the Chronicle,
8 January 1859, page 7c,
16 March 1867, page 3h,
9 February 1903, page 4f.
Also see South Australia - Sport - Horse Racing.
Information on the Catholic Chapel is in the Chronicle,
22 September 1866, page 7g; also see
19 September 1868, page 2c.
20 March 1868, page 98,
20 October 1868, page 212.
Photographs of and information on the jubilee celebrations of the Church of Assumption are in the Chronicle,
19 August 1911, pages 30-44b,
14 August 1911, page 9f.
Examinations at the Catholic School are reported in the Chronicle,
13 April 1867, page 3d.
A Catholic picnic and sports are reported in the Register,
4 January 1881, page 6g; also see
7 April 1883, page 8d,
1 May 1886, page 15a.
Red rust in local crops is discussed in the Chronicle,
2 November 1867, page 7e.
- The wheat crops in this district are ruined by the red rust. there is not a single paddock free from this destroying pest... the crop is valueless...
An athletics sports day is reported in the Chronicle,
3 July 1869, page 7e,
18 March 1871, page 7c,
13 July 1872, page 4d,
6 April 1872, page 4e.
Also see South Australia - Sport - Athletics and Gymnastics.
A show and ploughing match are described in the Register,
20 August 1870, page 3c;
17 August 1877, page 7b - "The township of Virginia, formerly notorious for its virgin mud in winter and delicate dust in summer..."
Also see South Australia - Industries - Rural, Primary and Secondary - Ploughing Matches.
A meeting of the Agricultural Society is reported in the Register,
19 June 1871, page 5d; also see
7 August 1874, page 6e.
A combined Virginia-Port Gawler Show is reported on
19 September 1883, page 6a; also see
6 October 1888, page 23b.
Also see South Australia - Miscellany - Agricultural, Floricultural & Horticultural Shows .
A proposed telegraph station is discussed in the Chronicle,
28 August 1875, page 10b.
Also see South Australia - Communications - Telegraphic.
A sports day and picnic held at Port Gawler is reported in the Chronicle,
27 December 1879, page 21e and
a Catholic picnic on
8 January 1881, page 16c; also see
14 February 1885, page 15c.
A "Cake Fair and Sports" appears on
7 January 1888, page 22g.
A horse race and sports day is reported in the Express,
20 March 1885, page 4c.
Also see South Australia - Sport - Horse Racing.
A quoits match is reported in the Express,
8 January 1885, page 2f.
The town is described in the Register,
30 October 1875, page 6g,
2 January 1904, page 8b.
"Artesian Water at Virginia" is in the Observer,
31 January 1903, page 33b,
14 March 1903, page 27c and
18 April 1903, page 12d,
15 April 1905, page 1a (supp.),
2 June 1903, page 9c,
14 July 1903, page 7f,
29 March 1904, page 3c,
16 March 1905, page 3d,
4 April 1905, page 6e,
7 September 1905, page 6d,
9 February 1909, page 6e.
"Wealth in Water" is in the Observer,
24 May 1913, page 15a.
Also see South Australia - Northern Lands Development and Allied Matters - Water, Artesian Wells and Springs.
The irrigation of Mr Beaglehole's property is described in the Register,
9 March 1903, page 7h; also see
9 April 1903, page 6e.
A photograph is in the Observer,
14 March 1903, page 27.
An obituary of Robert Hatcher is in the Register,
17 August 1904, page 7c,
of Mrs M.W. Ridgway on 11 and 12 February 1918, pages 4g and 4i,
of Michael Maloney on 16 November 1918, page 6g.
The diamond wedding of Mr & Mrs W. Ridgway is reported in the Register,
25 January 1913, page 15b,
the golden wedding of Mr & Mrs James Formby on 15 July 1927, page 8g.
Biographical details of Mrs Hanna Sheedy are in the Register,
11 February 1918, pager 4g,
Observer, 16 February 1918, page 31b,
of William Ridgway in the Register,
10 July 1918, page 6g.
The opening of the Institute is reported in the Register,
10 November 1908, page 6d;
photographs are in the Observer,
28 November 1908, page 31.
The jubilee of the Church of the Assumption" appears on
14 August 1911, page 9f.
Information on workmen's blocks is in the Register,
2 December 1913, page 8f.
Also see Place Names - Cotton, Hundred of .
"Sixty Years at Virginia", the reminiscences of John Nash, is in the Advertiser,
18 March 1914, page 17h.
A photograph of a farm is in the Chronicle,
11 December 1930 (supplement),
of a locally made road yacht on
7 May 1931, page 36.
Virginia - Obituaries
An obituary of Owen Nash is in the Register,
2 November 1882, page 5b,
of Mrs Frances Reed on 2 February 1898, page 7b,
of Thomas Irish and William McCord on 29 October 1902, page 3d.
An obituary of John Rowland is is in the Observer,
16 September 1905, page 38c,
of Mrs William Ridgway on 16 February 1918, page 31a,
of Michael Maloney on 23 November 1918, page 20a,
of William Ridgway on 10 May 1919, page 40b.
The Register of 29 June 1899, page 6d refers to a Mr Vivian associated with the Sliding Rock Mine at Cadnia.
Nnamed by Baudin after either Vice Admiral Louis Victor de Rochefort, duc de Mortemart et de Vivonne (1636-1688), a French Marshal or Catherine de Vivonne, Marquess de Rambouillet (1588-1665).
"Bitumen at Vivonne Bay" is in the Register,
27 April 1850, page 2d; also see
27 July 1850, page 2e (supp.).
- Mr Trewartha's guide... conducted him to Vivonne Bay where he found the whole of the circumjacent surface composed of limestone and on the beach several hundredweight of bitumen in large and small fragments... The bitumen is more inflammable, more odorous and more brilliant in its fracture than the cannel coal with which we compare it... the resemblance is quite enough to justify the presumption of natural affinity and the expectation of finding coal of a highly inflammable and useful kind in abundance at Vivonne Bay.
31 March 1909, page 4g.
Photographs are in the Observer, 9 April 1910.
Von Doussa, Hundred of
Since 1918 it has been the 'Hundred of Allenby'. A. Von Doussa, MLC, in recognition of the part he played in opening up the Pinnaroo lands. The substitute name of 'Winikberick', the Aboriginal name of a local spring, was rejected by the Government.
Also see South Australia - Politics.
The school opened in 1910 and became "Allenby" in 1918.