Place Names of South Australia - C
Cungena - Cygnet, River
- Cunningham, Hundred of
- Currency Creek
- Cut Hill
- Cygnet, River
The 'Cungena Run' was established by Anton Schlink circa 1864 (lease no. 1689). He had held the land since December 1861 (lease no. 976). An Aboriginal word for 'rock holes'.
Its school was opened in 1920 by Margaret Guidera and closed in 1964 after which the children were driven to either Wirrulla or Poochera. See Agnes Dickson,Cungena Country, page 26.
A photograph of scrub burning is in the Observer,
19 March 1927, page 34.
A town 14 km south of Kadina was proclaimed on 1 May 1879 and named by Governor Jervois, probably after a friend or acquaintance, the most likely candidate being Henry Charles Cunliffe-Owen. (See under Owen; proclaimed on the same day.) Another possible candidate in respect of its nomenclature is mentioned in the Register, 24 February 1881, page 6b where it is reported that 'His Excellency the Governor [Jervois] kindly promised to telegraph to Sir Philip Cunliffe-Owen, London...'; he was a younger brother of Henry Charles Cunliffe-Owen.
The Cunliffe School opened in 1882 and closed in 1971.
An obituary of J.T. Harris is in the Observer,
11 November 1911, page 41a,
of James Allen on 8 July 1916, page 19b,
of Mrs S.J. Hayward in the Register,
5 December 1924, page 8g.
A photograph of a plough drawn by a bull is in the Chronicle,
13 May 1916, page 28.
Cunningham, Hundred of
In the County of Fergusson, proclaimed on 19 June 1873. In a letter dated 30 October 1971, Mr James Fergusson, of Kilkerran, Ayrshire, a descendant of Governor Fergusson, who left office just prior to its proclamation, said:
- Maitland, Cunningham and Dalrymple were all surnames of ancestors and with Fergusson, the four names are recorded in the four quarters of our coat of arms... Cunningham is also the name of one of the three ancient districts of this County...
From a series of confusing records it would appear that its school opened in 1880 and changed to "Petersville" in 1885 - this school closed in 1961. In 1909 another Cunningham School opened and closed in 1943.
A photograph of the opening of a Congregational church is in the Observer,
24 December 1921, page 26.
An Aboriginal name for rockholes in the vicinity. The Town of Cunyarie 6 km south of Buckleboo was proclaimed on 16 February 1928.
The district is described in the Register,
6 November 1926, page 13c,
13 November 1926, page 60b:
This is the first year that it has produced wheat and more than 1,000 acres are under crop. Those that have a crop in are W. Nicholas, an old resident, Mr. Fitzgerald from Quorn, Ralph Gluyas from Telowie, A. and W. Johns from Nuriootpa, Mr. Holder from Reeves Plains, Mr. Wittwer who has some on share with Mr. Noll from Quorn and Mr. Berriman from Rufus River, New South Wales...
Its school opened in 1927 and closed in 1936.
CurnamonaThis pastoral property is described in the Observer,
28 September 1907, page 44a.
It is derived from two Aboriginal words kora - 'male emu' and malka - 'limestone'; literally, 'a flat limestone where rain forms a pool where emus drink'.
The following extract is taken from The Life and Adventures of Edward Snell (Angus & Robertson, 1988), page 140:
Started with Bob for a guide for Curry Murka Cowey [Curramulka], the place where the caverns were to be found. Penton overtook us on horse back and lent us a couple of candles. We went into the cave leaving Bob outside. He wouldn't go in, alleging [sic] as a reason that "Muldappy" [Muldarbie] (the devil I suppose) plenty sit down there...
A description of a "remarkable cave" near Mr Talbot's "about one-and-a-half miles out of the town" is in the Register, 24 March 1886, page 5d:
On the top of a hill near Mr. Talbot's there is a remarkable cave, about 1½ miles out of the town... The first intimation of a cave is a basin about 20 yards wide on the top of the hill. At the bottom of this is the mouth of the cave, triangular in shape... The whole cave is a perfect labyrinth of passages and chambers of various sizes. Opossums have left traces of being far into these subterranean passages. In a few places some ugly stones had fallen and some hang overhead menacingly.
A sale of town allotments is reported in the Chronicle,
12 October 1878, page 4b.
A sports day held on Mr Hay's paddock "near the well" is reported in the Chronicle,
4 January 1879, page 22a; also see
10 January 1880, page 25d,
8 January 1881, page 26b.
The opening of the recreation ground is reported in the Register,
7 September 1882 (supp.), page 2d.
Information on the Curramulka well is in the Register,
18 October 1880, page 2b (supp.),
23 October 1880, page 698d.
Also see South Australia - Water Conservation.
A Show is reported in the Chronicle,
6 September 1879, page 4b (supp.),
22 October 1881, page 11d.
Also see South Australia - Agricultural, Floricultural & Horticultural Shows.
The Curramulka School opened in 1879;
The Hundred of Curramulka School opened in 1901 and the name was changed to "Cranbrook" in 1916 - closed in 1957.
Information on the school is in the Register,
13 December 1883 (supp.), page 1f and
23 July 1884, page 7c,
25 September 1884, page 6e.
A school picnic at Port Vincent is reported in the Chronicle,
13 April 1895, page 22b.
A fire is reported in the Observer,
18 November 1876, page 7e.
Also see South Australia - Natural Disasters - Bushfires.
Information on a cricket club is in the Observer,
30 August 1879, page 20d.
Also see South Australia - Sport - Cricket - Miscellany.
A complimentary dinner to F.W. Luxmoore is reported in the Register,
17 March 1882, page 6c.
"The Wants of Curramulka" is in the Register,
28 September 1882, page 2d (supp.).
A proposed Institute is discussed in the Register,
26 April 1883, page 4g;
for its opening see Chronicle,
4 April 1885, page 22b.
The first meeting of the Curramulka Racing Club on Mr Goldsworthy's paddock is reported in the Chronicle,
16 April 1887, page 11.
Also see South Australia - Sport - Horse Racing.
Joseph Parsons' farm is described in the Register,
22 December 1892, page 5d.
The town is described in the Register,
23 April 1904, page 9e.
A photograph of a football team is in the Chronicle,
15 October 1904, page 30,
1 November 1934, page 33,
29 October 1936, page 36,
of the Methodist Church and trustees on
16 September 1911, page 31,
of dam sinking on
3 November 1923, page 36,
of the opening of the Bank of Adelaide on
17 January 1935, page 37.
A photograph of the laying of the foundation stone of the Methodist Church is in the Observer,
16 September 1911, page 32,
of a coursing club on
12 August 1916, page 26.
Biographical details of James Lamb are in the Observer,
28 August 1915, page 46d.
Information on a coursing club is in the Register,
28 July 1920, page 4i.
Also see South Australia - Sport - Coursing.
The reminiscences of Joseph Parsons are in the Register,
15 August 1924, page 10d.
The laying of the foundation stone of the hospital is reported in the Observer,
19 March 1927, page 46d.
Curramulka - Obituaries
An obituary of J.P.F. McKay is in the Register,
9 September 1893, page 5d,
of John Gregor on 16 October 1928, page 13f.
An obituary of W. McDonald is in the Observer,
31 August 1912, page 41b,
of Eli Hart on 14 October 1916, page 35b,
of Mrs Emma S. May on 9 November 1918, page 12b,
of Ernest J. Anderson on 11 March 1922, page 31e,
of Mrs James Pointon on 11 August 1923, page 35e,
of Joseph Parsons on 16 August 1924, page 38b,
23 August 1924, page 48e,
of Charles Parsons on 30 October 1926, page 54e.
CurratumInformation on the pastoral property is in the Observer,
22 December 1923, page 18a:
John Livingston and Duncan McCallum held Curratum, consisting of 40 square miles in what is now known as the Hundred of Kongorong. Mr. Livingston sold it to J.T. Clarke and bought Ardno on the Victorian border. They started the station with 500 cows, 20 mares and a stallion which they brought from what is now known as Canberra, the journey occupying several months. This was about 1850.
A photograph of the homestead is in the Chronicle,
15 August 1929, page 35.
The town 6 km north of Goolwa was laid out into blocks of two roods when the 'Currency Creek Special Survey' was undertaken in 1840. In the Government Gazette of 20 January 1838, Messrs Y.B. Hutchinson and T.B. Strangways reported that they had named the creek after a whale-boat the Currency Lass, in which they entered it.
An Aboriginal affray at Mr Mayfield's property is reported in the Register,
26 July 1843, page 2f:
In December 1843 the shepherd in charge of one of Dr Wark's flocks of sheep depasturing with Mr. Wakefield was attacked by two natives who, after waddying him down, covered him with a bag and forcibly held him till nearly smothered. On being released and recovered he found the sheep awaiting. He immediately repaired to the house and gave the alarm... Petty aggressions are becoming more and more frequent of late... There are no means of bringing the offenders to summary justice and thus they escape, as no one will be at the trouble and expense of going to Adelaide to prefer charges... Dr Wark had at least 200 bushels of maize stolen last season and now, unless something is done promptly to strike terror among offenders, the same havoc will certainly occur... Mayfield's hut has been four times robbed of late and the whole furniture, flour, sugar, blankets, etc., have been carried off...
Also see South Australia - Aboriginal Australians.
Information on a local mine is in the Register,
3 November 1847, page 3a.
Photographs of a silver mine are in the Observer,
15 February 1913, page 30.
Also see South Australia - Mining - Coal.
The laying of the foundation stone of the Bible Christian Chapel is reported in the Register,
1 August 1857, page 3h and
its opening on
6 November 1857, page 2h.
The surrounding district and the local village are described in the Register,
17 August 1858, page 3e.
The reminiscences of Y.B Hutchinson are in the Register,
7 July 1866, page 3g.
An obituary is in the Observer,
31 December 1870, page 7e.
The opening of a new schoolroom is reported in the Chronicle,
29 December 1866, page 3b.
A photograph is in the Chronicle,
26 September 1935, page 35.
Samuel Buzzacott, an unemployed labourer, tells of his trials and tribulations in the Advertiser,
16 February 1871, page 3d.
The opening of a new bridge is reported in the Register,
22 January 1873, page 6d.
The golden wedding of Mr & Mrs John Shipway is reported in the Register,
23 October 1889, page 5c,
the diamond wedding of Mr & Mrs R.R.C. Sunman on 20 November 1903, page 5b.
Mrs Sunman's obituary is in the Register,
4 April 1907, page 5b.
The laying of the foundation stone of the Institute is reported in the Register,
17 December 1912, page 5f,
21 December 1912, page 17b.
Photographs of the Institute and its committee are in the Chronicle,
3 May 1913, page 29.
Currency Creek - Obituaries
An obituary of Mrs William Ding is in the Register, 7 September 1906, page 4h,
of Mrs W.J.E. Varcoe on 24 September 1907, page 5b,
of Mrs Samuel Fuller on 7 September 1916, page 4h..
An obituary of Mrs R.R.C. Sunman is in the Observer, 6 April 1907, page 38c,
of Peter Kemp on 13 July 1907, page 40b,
of Mrs David Allen on 31 August 1907, page 38d,
of Mrs W.R.J. Varcoe on 28 September 1907, page 40b,
of James Byrnes on 7 September 1912, page 41a,
of Samuel Fuller on 14 July 1917, page 19b.
The town in the Hundred of Tatiara 8 km south of Wolseley was proclaimed on 8 December 1881 and named by Governor Jervois after Rev Purey-Cust, who married his daughter, Lucy Caroline.
Rev Purey-Cust's marriage to Caroline Jervois is reported in the Register,
15 February 1882, page 5e;
her obituary is in the Observer,
2 December 1916, page 22c.
The Chronicle of 13 May 1882, page 22b says:
The place is quite lively from the influx of people connected with the Tatiara and Border Town railway, the construction of which was commenced last week... This place possesses no less than three separate names and the best known is 'University Blocks'. The railway people call the railway station Tatiara' while the post office, in the very same building, is 'Custon', after the adjoining government township, which was sold a few months ago...
The town and district are described in the Observer,
13 January 1883, page 10b,
12 May 1883, page 16e,
10 January 1883, page 6a as is a coach trip to Bordertown; also see
21 November 1883, page 6d.
Also see South Australia - Transport - Horse Coaches.
The school opened in 1919 and closed in 1956.
Cut HillIt is mentioned in Parliamentary Paper 16/1859.
The vessel Cygnet, the second ship to arrive in South Australia in 1836. The 'Cygnet River Run' was established by C. Thompson in 1851 (lease no. 16).
The Register of
17 April 1855, page 2g says its alternative name was "Three-Well River"; also see
11 February 1858 (supp.), page 2 where it is recorded as "Three Well River":
On the Three Well or Cygnet River, close to the site of the place formerly known as the SA Company's Farm, Mr. Goodiar has erected a steam mill and employs a great number of workmen in the expectation of supplying the Adelaide market with good timber of colonial growth...
A gold find on section 25, Hundred of Cassini "prospected by Tilka, a settler in the district" is discussed in Mining Records of South Australia (fourth edition) page 213.
Also see Place Names - Tilka Hut.
Information on the school is in the Register,
10 January 1883, pages 4g-6c,
18 November 1885, page 5b,
11 February 1921, page 6f - the 1885 report also has information on the proposed installation of flood gates at the mouth of the river.
A photograph of the river is in the Chronicle,
6 July 1907, page 30,
of an old log hut in the Observer,
9 July 1921, page 25.
The diamond wedding of Mr & Mrs John W. Daw is reported in the Register,
3 July 1907, page 7b.
His obituary is in the Register,
27 February 1911, page 7b,
4 March 1911, page 41a.