Place Names of South Australia - T
Thevenard - Torrens Island
- Third Creek
- Thistle Island
- Thomas, Mount
- Thomas Plains
- Thompson Crossing
- Thorn Hill
- Thorndon Park
- Three Well River
- Thrushgrove Estate
- Tickera, Hundred of
- Tiddy Widdy Well
- Tietkins, Mount
- Tiger Bore
- Tilka Hut
- Tilley Swamp
- Tinline, Hundred of
- Tiver Well
- Todmorden, Mount
- Tom Brown
- Tomkinson, Hundred of
- Tod Hill
- Torrens Island
Named Cap Bon Fond (Cape Good Anchorage) by Baudin, while on Freycinet's charts it is C. Thevenard. Antoine Jean Marie, Comte de Th?enard (1733-1815), French Minister of Marine and the recipient of honours bestowed by both Napoleon and King Louis XVIII.
"New Deep Sea Port" is in the Register,
10 and 11 December 1913, pages 13d and 13f.
"Fitness as a Port" is in the Advertiser,
10 December 1913, page 9a; also see
16 May 1914, page 6a,
5, 6 and 9 June 1914, pages 13e, 10f and 9b,
2 and 8 April 1921, pages 7c and 11h.
Photographs of the railway are in the Observer,
16 January 1915, page 27,
9 February 1924, page 33.
Information on a jetty is in the Observer,
21 November 1914, page 31a; also see
10, 11 and 13 July 1917, pages 4b-f, 9d and 6d.
"A Concrete Jetty - The Only One in the World" is in the Advertiser,
21 June 1919, page 9d.
Photographs are in the Chronicle,
28 June 1919, page 28,
29 May 1926, page 40.
Also see South Australia - Maritime Affairs.
Its school opened in 1925 and closed in 1927.
"Some Fine Country" is in the Advertiser,
27 April 1926, page 14c.
A photograph of the gypsum works is in the Chronicle,
29 May 1926, page 40.
Also see South Australia - Industries - Rural, Primary and Secondary - Miscellany.
The town and district are described in the Register,
11 May 1926, page 7,
"Water Turned On" on
22 June 1928, page 13a.
Photographs of and information on the arrival of water from the Tod River system are in the Chronicle,
30 June 1928, page 28.
Also see South Australia - Water Conservattion.
"The Growth of Cape Thevenard" is in the Chronicle,
20 August 1927, page 54.
Photographs are in the Observer,
29 May 1926, page 31.
- A few years ago Cape Thevenard was little known but since the construction of a substantial pier there 1,170 feet long at which overseas vessels may berth, the port has provided an outlet for the produce of an immense farming district... At Kowulka, about 50 miles inland, there are almost inexhaustible supplies of gypsum... Hume Steel have been established for a little over a year and engage in the manufacture of steel pipes for the Tod River waterworks...
Third CreekInformation on Pizey's quarry is in the Express,
14 and 26 March 1881, pages 3c and 2e,
2 and 4 April 1881, pages 3d and 3g.
Also see South Australia - Industries - Rural, Primary and Secondary - Building Stone.
The district and properties are described in the Register,
3 and 17 June 1893, pages 5h and 5h.
Information on an old-time distillery appears on
29 January 1927, page 18f.
- Immediately below Grove Hill are the sites of two of the well known establishments which in their day were frequently patronised by the dwellers of the plains. The one was Rock Tavern and the other Baier's Tea Garden. [The latter] was in the first instance cultivated by Mr John Baier and vines for the most part were grown there. Subsequently, his homestead was transformed into a public house and licensed in opposition to the Rock Tavern under the name of the Sanitorium Hotel... Its licence was allowed to lapse. Its doors were closed, only to be reopened in the cause of temperance as a tea garden and as such it was, perhaps, better known...
John Thistle, Master of the Investigator, who was drowned at Cape Catastrophe on 21 February 1802.
Information on a fishing station is in the Register,
22 September 1838, page 3d.
9 April 1859, page 8c for information on pastoral occupation.
- The fishing station on Thistle Island... has been abandoned by the men before the season was half over. The whalers complained of starvation; the beef was said to be rotten and the biscuit such as hungry pigs would loathe... Here, then, is another dead loss of from two to three thousand pounds and a fresh instance of the admirable mismanagement of the commercial department...
The island is described in the Register,
16 February 1904, page 6b,
5 and 26 March 1904, pages 39a and 23 (photos.).
An obituary of W. Argent is in the Observer,
5 June 1920, page 12a.
In the vicinity of Umberatana Creek.
According to the Advertiser, 11 September 1918, page 8g it was named after James Thomas who was on the Umberatana Run from 1857 until 1864.
Thomas PlainsAn obituary of James Williamson is in the Observer,
8 July 1916, page 19b.
The former name of Swanport. James Thompson, who obtained the land grant of section 52, Hundred of Murray (now Mobilong) on 6 July 1855.
Information on its efficacy as a site for a ferry is to be found in the Register on
10 and 31 December 1863, pages 3b and 3c respectively;
5, 20 and 29 January 1864, pages 3c, 2e and 3c respectively and
13 June 1864, page 3d,
29 July 1864, page 2e.
See Parliamentary Paper 148/1864
for a report on Murray River crossings -
a return of traffic on the ferry is to be found in
Parliamentary Papers 70/1869-70 and
15 June 1870, page 5b,
while the resultant trauma from the sinking of the ferry at Wellington is reported in the Register,
11 January 1869, page 2h.
The launching of a new punt is reported in the Advertiser,
11 April 1866, page 3g.
- The punt appears to be well and substantially built and of superior lines to any on the river. Two o'clock having been fixed for the [opening] ceremony from 50 to 60 people were collected... The ceremony of christening was then performed in first rate style by Miss Fuller, breaking a bottle of rosy wine on the punt and naming her the "Royal Shepherdess"...
Thorn HillA Primitive Methodist Church at this place near Templers is discussed in the Register,
22 February 1865, page 3c.
- Our Primitive friends held their anniversary services at Thorn Hill Chapel... The evening meeting was presided over by Mr J. Bush, of Kangaroo Flat,...
A subdivision of part section 397, Hundred of Yatala by Alexander and Paul T. Scott in 1885. It was renamed 'Laurel Park' in 1926; now included in Woodville Park. While perhaps having no bearing on its nomenclature a Mr Thow was the Locomotive Superintendent of the SA Railways in 1883. This suggestion is given some credence by the events of 1885 when he was cleared of charges laid by his superiors. The Advertiser of 31 October 1884, page 7b indicates that Mr Thow lived at Woodville.
See The Lantern,
1 November 1884, page 15,
31 January 1885, page 9,
7 February 1885, pages 1 and 9 (sketch),
29 August 1885, page 9,
13 February 1883, page 5a,
31 October 1884, page 4d-h,
8 November 1884, page 25e.
This suggestion is given some credence by the events of 1885 when he was cleared of charges laid by his superiors - see Register,
30 and 31 January 1885, pages 4e and 7d and
9 June 1885, page 6c
1 October 1885, page 4e; also see
9 September 1887, page 4e,
13 April 1889, page 5a,
1 May 1889, pages 4g-6c.
The Advertiser of 31 October 1884, page 7b indicates that Mr Thow lived at Woodville.
In 1838, land in this area was granted to William Henry Francis, Lord Petre, and the Honourable Henry Petre, of 'Thorndon Hall', near Brentwood, Essex, England.
The reservoir is described in the Register,
18 April 1859, page 2d.
A sketch is in Frearson's Weekly,
26 April 1879, page 81.
23 December 1924, page 11a,
3 January 1925, page 16a.
Also see Adelaide - Water Supply.
"Trout at Thorndon Park" is in the Register,
17 October 1881, page 6c. Also see South Australia - Sport - Fishing
A bird aviary is discussed in the Register,
5 May 1884, page 4h.
- It is well worth the while of the inquisitive in such matters as fish culture to visit the new trout ponds of the Acclimatisation Society at Thorndon Park reservoir where Mr Sanders, the caretaker, devotes his little leisure and great intelligence to the supervision of the society's pets...
19 October 1886, page 7e.
John Batt(e)y Thorngate of Gosport, Hampshire, England was the original grantee of sections 2062 and 2064-66, Hundred of Yatala in 1840. When he died in 1867 the land passed to his brother, William Thorngate.
Biographical details of Isaac Isaacs are in The Critic,
28 June 1922, page 5.
An obituary of James Graves is in the Register,
1 August 1929, page 5a.
Three Well RiverSee Cygnet River.
F.W. Thring (1837-1908), a member of John McD. Stuart's overland party.
An obituary of F.W. Thring is in the Register,
18 July 1908, page 9e.
An objection to the name is reported in the Register,
27 November 1916, page 4f.
Its school opened as "Greens Plains West",
name changed in 1942 and closed in 1959.
A photograph of Clydesdale horses on Mr Petherick's farm is in the Chronicle,
12 April 1924, page 40.
Also see South Australia - Industries - Rural, Primary and Secondary - Horses.
The name "Thrush Grove" was applied to a farm owned by John and James Turner in 1840.
It took its name from 'Thurlga Station' pioneered by John Acraman and G. Mann circa 1868.
Information on the property is in the Observer,
12 October 1895, page 4b,
30 April 1898, page 2b,
16 February 1924, page 17a,
22 April 1898, page 6e,
6 and 12 May 1898, pages 7f and 6f,
9 June 1898, page 7c;
a photograph of wool from the property is in the Chronicle,
8 September 1932, page 34.
Tickera, Hundred of
Aboriginal for 'marshmallow'.
A sports day is reported in the Chronicle,
27 October 1888, page 3g,
12 October 1889, page 21c.
The golden wedding of Mr & Mrs G. Chittleborough is reported in the Observer,
30 March 1901, page 28c.
The golden wedding of Mr & Mrs R..Taylor is reported in the Register,
22 March 1901, page 5b.
An obituary of W.H. Johns is in the Observer,
30 March 1912, page 39b,
of Daniel McIntosh on 3 November 1923, page 39e,
of F.W. Byrne on 4 July 1925, page 45c.
A school of this name opened in 1901 and became "Cairn Hill" in 1909;
the Tickera School operated from 1884 until 1958;
Tickera West School opened in 1883 and became "Brucefield" in 1885. See
14 March 1883, page 1d (supp.),
17 March 1883, page 37c
24 July 1911, page 12d for a report on the opening of a new school;
photographs are in the Chronicle,
29 July 1911, page 31.
Fruit growing in the Hundred is discussed in the Register,
27 February 1897, page 9a.
- For many years previous to the completion of the Beetaloo scheme farmers in this Hundred had been battling away, trying year in and year out to get a few fruit trees or vines to grow, but with little success. Since there has been a good supply of water, however, things have worn a very different aspect and it is now really a treat to visit the gardens. The trouble now arises - what is to be done with the fruit...
A photograph of a Mellor Brothers Pony Reaper is in the Chronicle,
12 February 1916, page 25.
The reminiscences of Frederick Bayne are in the Observer,
21 April 1923, page 52b.
Tiddy Widdy Well
On Yorke Peninsula, derived from the Aboriginal titewitewite - 'bartering place'.
Information on the Tiddy Widdy Mining Co. is in the Chronicle,
9 November 1872, page 6g.
- We have reason to believe that copper ore has been found on the sections leased by the Tidde Widde Mining Company on the Parara Run and that men have commenced sinking on the part of the lode where it was found. A party from Moonta went to the run to look around the surrounding country last week.
TiersThe Register, 31 October 1855, page 2e has an editorial entitled "The New Tiers Road".
See Place Names - Crafers.
In the Hundred of Pyap. The Register of
29 May 1909 at page 11c suggests that `the man who saw the beast [and named the well] had been to Loxton that night and is not quite sure now how many tigers he saw...'; also see Observer,
12 June 1909, page 49d.
In the Far North-West, named by C.G. Winnecke after the explorer, W.H. Tietkins. Born at Islington, England in 1844 he arrived from New South Wales in 1859. He died on 19 April 1933 and is buried at Lithgow, New South Wales.
An interview with Mr Tietkin's is reported in the Register,
9 and 14 January 1904, pages 7a and 4e,
2 August 1912, page 9a;
the reminiscences of Oscar J. Herbert,
a member of Tietkins' exploration party, are in the Register,
1 July 1926, page 6d.
Biographical details of Mr Tietkins are in the Advertiser,
28 May 1921, page 9b and
his reminiscences in the Register,
6 September 1924, page 13g.
On Kangaroo Island. Christina and Carlina Tilka, who farmed there for many years.
An obituary of Marie Tilka is in the Observer,
1 December 1928, page 49b.
See Place Names - Cygnet River.
- The death of Mrs Marie Tilka, aged 90 years, occurred at Cygnet River on November 16. Born at Brandenburg, Germany, she and her husband, the late Mr Martin Tilka, came to Australia in 1870 in the sailing ship City of Adelaide. After residing at Klemzig and Riverton they moved to Kangaroo Island during the early eighties...
William Tilley took up pastoral lease no. 199 (previously an occupation licence issued to him on 22 April 1847) which he called 'Tilley's Swamp';
He sold out to James Thompson in February 1854 - a detailed description of the run is to be found in the Register
1 August 1863, page 4b.
The school opened in 1958 and closed in 1965.
H.C. Talbot talks of 'Tilley's Accommodation House' conducted by William Tilley: 'this was one of the stages on the Overland Road to the Victorian diggings...' and is shown as such on early pastoral lease maps.
Tinline, Hundred of
George Tinline (1815-1895) of the Bank of South Australia who, in 1852, was mainly responsible for the passing of the 'Bullion Act'.
Also see South Australia - Mining - Gold.
A dinner and testimonial to Mr Tinline is reported in the Register,
7 April 1853, page 3a;
a letter from him is in the Express,
29 January 1867, page 3b.
His obituary is in the Advertiser,
6 February 1895, page 7b and
information on his will in the Register ,
30 July 1896, page 5a.
The plate presented to Mr Tinline is discussed in the Register,
3 November 1855, page 3h.
"Romance of Tinline Gold Plate" is in The Mail,
10 December 1927, page 17a.
"The Tinline Plate" in the Register,
20 December 1927, page 11e.
TinpotThe Tin-Pot Ranges are mentioned in the Register,
29 May 1852 and 1 November 1852 at pages 3b and 3a,
while the same newspaper carries a report headed "Gold at the Tinpot" on
1 December 1859, page 3a.
On 18 February 1856 at page 4c it is said:
Tin Pot Special Survey 1788 comprising 500 acres of the richest alluvial land in South Australia will be divided into small farms and the Township of Woodchester...
- Journal of E. Manuel, William O'Brien & Co. exploring for gold in South Australia - Friday, May 7th - Left Harriott's station and proceeded on to the Tin Pot Ranges as recommended by Mr Tolmer and others. Tried several gulleys and inlets of creeks on the east side, but which gave us no gold. Saturday, May 8th - On the west side tried several hills and gulleys... We fell on a large iron lode running near the Mount Barker mineral survey, near the section marked 2209. Tried several hills and gulleys between this and the Mount Barker township which we reached the same night and pitched our camps on the north side of the hill...
15 February 1861, page 4f.
According to a newspaper report the name of an Aborigine was 'Tin-Tin' and the suffix ara was added to it. (There is an Aboriginal word tinyara meaning 'boy', 'lad', 'youth'.) However, a more convincing explanation is that it is derived from tinlinyara, the Aboriginal name for stars in 'Orion's Belt', described in Aboriginal mythology as a number of young men hunting emus, kangaroos and other game on the great celestial plain in the sky.
"Subduing the Scrub at Tintinarra [sic]" is in the Observer,
23 September 1905, pages 41e-42a,
7 and 28 October 1905, pages 27c-29(photos)-41 and 42a,
2, 3 and 21 October 1905, pages 4e-5d, 6e and 8f.
Photographs are in the Observer,
7 October 1905, page 29,
19 October 1907, page 29.
Photographs of Mr Helling and his pastoral station are in the Observer,
19 March 1904, page 25.
"The Old Head Station" is in the Register,
20 November 1912, page 8a, 9 November 1914, page 3d.
14 November 1914, page 11e.
Also see Place Names - Helling Well.
An obituary of August Helling is in the Register,
1 January 1906, page 5b,
Observer, 6 January 1906, page 38a.
Information on 1906 settlers is in the Register,
8 June 1910, page 9e,
"Tintinara Development" on
20 and 23 November 1912, pages 8a and 7b.
"Tintinara District - Among the Settlers" is in the Observer,
23 November 1912, page 13a.
"Tintinara Settlers - Men and Methods" is in the Register,
12 and 15 November 1912, pages 10a and 5c.
The reminiscences of J.H. Boothby are in the Register,
21 April 1919, page 7b; also see
22 April 1919, page 3g.
Its school opened in 1907.
Indications of oil at Tintinara are reported in the Register,
15 March 1921, page 9d.
- The late Mr William Brayley... always maintained that sooner or later oil would be found at Tintinara. As a boy he worked with the original owners of the old head station and they then used to get a substance indicative of oil somewhere north-west of the head station... I certainly think for the welfare of our state some big effort should be made to follow up the indications that have lately been found in the district. [Signed - Alfred C. Catt].
It is taken from the Aboriginal name of local springs.
The district and closer settlement is discussed in the Register,
29 September 1862, page 3b.
Information on a proposed government town is in the Register,
23 March 1863, page 3g,
28 March 1863, page 7g,
4 July 1863, page 6e.
The Hundred of Tiparra School opened in 1884 and closed in 1908;
Tiparra East School opened in 1885 and became "Sunny Vale" in 1887;
Tiparra West School operated from 1920 until 1938.
Another source says that the school opened as "Hundred of Tiparra" in 1884;
name changed in 1891 to Winulta and closed in 1950.
The lighthouse is described in the Register,
22 January 1866, page 2g,
9 November 1872, page 13b,
11 January 1873, page 8a,
28 December 1876, page 6e,
25 August 1877, page 5b,
23 January 1878, page 6d; also see
5 January 1884, page 6d,
15 February 1895, page 6d.
Also see South Australia - Maritime Affairs - Lighthouses and Lightships.
An obituary of J.G. Schilling is in the Register,
1 December 1915, page 6i,
Observer, 4 December 1915, page 23a.
Historical information on the Congregational Church is in the Advertiser,
23 April 1924, page 13d.
James Tiver, JP pastoralist.
An obituary of James Tiver is in the Observer,
20 March 1909, page 40d.
- The late Mr James Tiver, who died at Aberdeen, South Australia, on Friday, at the age of 80 years was born at Bristol, England. From an early age he worked at the trade of a mason and came to Adelaide in 1854. He continued his trade and then went in for contracting. Subsequently, he took on sheep farming and acquired a large area of country near Hallett and more near Netley. Then he conducted a storekeeper's business at Aberdeen and finally retired some years ago...
Pastoralist, Patrick James Tod.
An attack on Mr Tod's station by Aborigines is reported in the Register,
23 July 1842, page 3d.
A fight between the Lakes and Encounter Bay tribes of Aborigines is described in the Observer,
30 December 1843, page 5a.
The Register of 13 October 1855 at page 3a says: "... it forms a Government Reserve and is marked by a flagstaff."
Robert Tod, a member of an exploration party from the schooner Victoria in 1839.
"Tod and His River" is in The Mail,
9 March 1929, page 31c.
The opening of a ford across the river is reported in the Register,
9 June 1869, page 2f.
The school opened in 1880 and closed in 1881.
An obituary of J.P. Barraud is in the Register,
16 and 19 December 1905, pages 6i and 10a.
The water scheme is discussed in the Register,
15 February 1923, page 8h,
16 November 1927, page 11c,
"Big Filip to Development" on
20 April 1926, page 10; also see
19 and 26 September 1925, pages 13a and 17c,
18 June 1927, page 1a,
30 July 1927, page 16d,
20 June 1928, page 11b (opening),
9 June 1928, page 10a and Eyre Peninsula.
Photographs are in the Chronicle,
23 June 1928, page 13,
5 November 1931, page 32.
- The reservoir at Tod River had been completed and so also had the weirs on the Tod River and Pillaworta Creek and the service reservoir on Nott's Hill. The first 40 miles [of] steel pipes made by Mephan Ferguson Pty Ltd had already been shipped to Port Lincoln and railed to the various stacking grounds... Tenders were due about February 27 for the laying of the first two sections...
There is a town of 'Todmorden' in Yorkshire, England.
Mr J.A. Breaden's Todmorden Station is described in the Register,
17 August 1909, page 4e;
21 August 1909, page 43d;
photographs are in the Chronicle,
20 June 1908, page 32,
15 October 1921, page 26.
"To Todmorden and Back" is in the Register,
8, 10, 13, 20 and 22 June 1922, pages 7d, 10a, 9b, 8a and 8b.
Mr Breaden's obituary appears on
18 March 1924, page 7g.
Mr Breaden's obituary is in the Observer,
22 March 1924, page 39d.
Biographical details of Alan Breaden are in the Register,
5 April 1928, page 14d;
also see 29 May 1928, page 13b.
"A Finke River Pioneer" is in the Observer,
14 April 1928, page 52a.
It was in 1875 that Alan Breaden first saw the Finke... with the late Richard Egerton Warburton... There is no name... that is so indissolubly linked with that old and dying river, as that of Mr Breaden...
- They have left their mark on rockhole and range,
In the deserts silent and grim,
Their names to the "man in the street' are strange,
Their deeds are unknown to him.
Not they the "explorers" and "pioneers"
Whom journalists loudly acclaim,
Whose "names shall echo down the years"
From the brazen trumpet of fame.
Just simple bushmen who, unafraid,
Trekked, hunger, thirst undismayed,
Death lurking on every side,
Blazing a trail sans fee or reward
For the men of the year to be,
Cutting a track, distant and broad
For the feet of posterity.
(Register, 5 April 1928, page 14.)
TolmerAlso see South Australia - Police.
Mr Tolmer's case is in the Observer,
8 and 15 March 1856, pages 5h and 3c,
20 and 21 March 1856, pages 3h and 2e,
3 and 5 April 1856, pages 3d and 2.
"Mr Tolmer's Expedition" is in the Observer,
26 November 1859, page 2a (supp.),
30 June 1860, page 5f.
"Mr Tolmer and the Gold Escort" is in the Register,
29 July 1880, page 6f.
Also see South Australia - Mining - Gold.
"Captain Tolmer" is in the Register,
7 and 11 May 1881, pages 5c and 4g-6b.
A letter from Alexander Tolmer objecting to vile "published" innuendos is in the Register,
8 July 1881 (supp.), page 2b; also see
12 and 30 July 1881, pages 7b and 3b.
"Mr Tolmer's Reminiscences" is in the Chronicle,
17 February 1883, page 19b.
"Rewarding Mr Tolmer" is in the Register,
8 and 9 February 1884, pages 7d and 5a,
5 April 1884, page 4g,
16 February 1884, page 8c,
9 June 1885, page 6d,
30 November 1885, page 3g,
3, 5, 7 8 and 18 December 1885, pages 7h, 6h, 7g, 7g and 6e,
5 January 1886, page 7c,
2 July 1887, page 39b.
Biographical details of Alexander Tolmer are in the Observer,
16 November 1889, page 30a,
Register, 9 November 1889, page 5a and
his obituary on 8 March 1890, page 5h.
Biographical details of of A.H.D. Tolmer are in the Register,
26 January 1928, page 10g,
31 October 1928, page 11c (obit.),
15 March 1890, page 19 (cartoon),
3 November 1928, page 46a (obit.).
Extracts from his 1889 diary are in the Register,
9 April 1890, page 6c.
"Tolmer - One of the Most Picturesque Pioneers" is in the Advertiser,
24 November 1934, page 11c.
In the Nullarbor region, was named after an early settler and surveyor.
Mr Brown's obituary is in the Observer,
29 March 1919, page 40d.
During the earlier periods of his life he was a surveyor in the north-eastern districts of Victoria and he was a personal friend of Burke and Wills before they started on their ill-fated expedition... Subsequently, he was one of the pioneers of the far western boundaries of this State and he secured a considerable area on the Nullabor Plain...
Tomkinson, Hundred of
Samuel Tomkinson, MLC (1885-1900).
Also see South Australia - Politics.
"Mr Tomkinson and the Nairne By-Laws" is in the Express,
5 July 1864, page 3b,
"Mr Tomkinson's Protest" is in the Observer,
29 August 1868, page 2g; also see
29 August 1868, page 8b,
5 September 1868, page 4f,
30 April 1881, page 4g under "A Boot-and-Branch Reformer".
A poem and a cartoon are in The Adelaide Punch,
13 February 1869, page 41,
30 November 1878.
"Mr Tomkinson and the Art of Self-Defence" is in the Register,
13 September 1882, page 5f.
The Advertiser of 7 October 1885, pages 4d-5c says of him:
His curiosity as to why every man charged with an offence is not proved guilty has indeed appeared insatiable. He has a terrible fear that our judges do not know their business, and that juries are led by the nose, to the great scandal of the administration of justice.
(Also see Advertiser,
10 and 28 October 1885, pages 4d and 4b,
3 November 1885, page 6c,
11, 12, 14 and 20 November 1885, pages 7a, 6h, 7d and 5a-7g,
2 January 1886, page 3c.)
He is noted for his resistance to reforms, for his incapacity to perceive the direction and gauge the strength of public opinion and for his prejudical views on all public questions.
(Observer, 13 April 1889, page 22b.)
6 June 1885, page 1,
9 January 1886, page 8,
18 July 1885, page 1,
6 February 1886, page 24,
5 March 1887, pages 1 and 22,
22 March 1890, page 1,
19 February 1898, page 9.
Biographical details are in the Observer,
12 November 1887, page 33c,
5 June 1897, page 16d;
also see Weekly Herald,
16 November 1894, page 4c, 13 March 1896, page 6b,
11 September 1896, page 4b;
an editorial and obituary are in the Advertiser,
31 August 1900, pages 4e-6c.
John Ragless arrived in South Australia in the Eden in 1838. When the 'pine forests near Enfield became too close to the city' one of his sons, Richard, journeyed about 12 km south of Adelaide and took up a property 'Tonsley' named after Tonsley Hall in England which he had much admired.
An obituary of Richard Ragless is in the Observer,
27 April 1901, page 23a.
- Mr Ragless was just verging upon manhood when he arrived in the ship Eden in 1838. After a preliminary stay in the embryo city he started a farm at Enfield in conjunction with his father and brother. Upon this property one of the first strippers manufactured in South Australia was employed... Afterwards Mr Ragless, with his brother, erected the Montacute Flourmills at Gepp's Cross... [In 1869] the estate at Tonsley Park was secured...
Probably derived from the Aboriginal tadlitji - 'boiling or bubbling water'.
The Tooligie Siding School opened in 1935 and closed in 1961;
Tooligie School opened in 1933 and became "Tooligie Hill" in 1935 before closing in 1965.
TooperangA post office 16 km north of Goolwa opened in 1910 in the Hundred of Nangkita.
Prior to 1941 the Tooperang School was known as 'Rockwood'; it closed in 1961.
TooraSee Place Names - Graeber.
Aboriginal for 'coot' or 'mallee hen'. It has been 'Yappara' since 1917, so changed to avoid confusion with 'Toorak'.
The Aboriginal torrak means 'tea-tree springs', while toora means 'coot' or 'mallee hen'.
"Many of the people who live in Toorak - it is hoped the name will never be sanctioned by the authorities - will have the advantage of looking at the backs of the cottagers' dwellings not so very far away". See Register, 20, 21 and 22 January 1910, pages 10g, 5i and 15f:
With a few exceptions the place names of this state are a disgrace and a reflection on good taste, judgement and sense and shows a deplorable lack of originality on the part of the authors.
(Also see Register,
26 and 27 January 1910, pages 10g and 3b,
23 March 1910, page 3b-c.)
22 January 1913, page 13.
"An Adelaide Aviator", a report on an aborted flight from Ferguson's paddock, is in the Register,
15 June 1914, page 6e.
- If it had been known to the public that... Mr A.B. Cox was going to attempt to fly over Toorak and Marryatville by monoplane a large crowd would have assembled. The scene of the intended flight was Ferguson's paddock, Toorak. The machine was constructed by Mr Cox... A few minutes after the appointed time for the flight Mr Cox touched a lever and the engine started to throb. The machine ran along the ground for a few yards and just as the aviator thought it was going to ascend something snapped and the propeller came off...
Toorak Gardens a "New Garden Suburb" is in the Register,
28 July 1917, page 10b.
"Bowling Green for Toorak" is in the Register,
29 August 1918, page 6d.
The opening of a bowling green is reported on
3 November 1919, page 5c;
photographs are in the The Critic,
2 June 1920, page 4,
10 November 1920, page 13,
31 October 1925, page 33.
Also see South Australia - Sport - Bowling.
"A Planned Township" is in the Register,
3 April 1919, page 4f.
Also see Adelaide - Social Matters and Town Planning
Biographical details of George Springhall are in The Critic,
25 January 1922, page 5,
of Harold H. Pittman on 17 January 1923, page 5.
"The Growth of Toorak" is in the Register,
31 January 1923, page 8a,
2 and 5 February 1923, pages 10a and 10a.
Photographs are in the Observer,
10 February 1923, page 28,
of a bowls team on
19 March 1927, page 33.
Biographical details of William W. Carter are in the Register,
24 December 1926, page 12d,
of Albert Downing in the Observer,
13 August 1927, page 62b.
Toorak - Obituaries
An obituary of Alfred G. Reid is in the Register, 14 June 1921, page 4h,
of R.M. Phillips on 23 February 1924, page 10e,
of Robert D. Fox on 1 April 1924, page 6h.
An obituary of Arthur G. Stalley is in the Observer, 21 June 1924, page 28d,
of John T. Fitch on 28 June 1924, page 28e,
of Donald McFarlane on 1 August 1925, page 45a,
of J.M. Helpman on 1 October 1927, page 50c,
of George Matthew on 5 November 1927, page 45c.
An obituary of James S. Gordon is in the Register, 21 June 1924, page 11f,
of Donald McFarlane on 25 July 1925, page 3i,
of Dr J.I. Sangster on 8 February 1926, page 6h,
of Herbert Ward on 19 June 1926, page 13e,
of Mrs Annie K. Beach on 26 August 1927, page 8h,
of J.M. Helpman on 27 September 1927, page 11c,
of George Lord on 24 August 1928, page 12h.
Colonel Robert Torrens, Chairman of the South Australian Colonisation Commission.
Information on quarantine is in the Observer,
18 August 1855, page 4f,
6 November 1856, page 4c.
Information on a hulk appears is in the Observer,
30 June 1855, page 4h.
The establishment of a quarantine station is reported in the Register,
20 October 1856, page 2e.
Strangely, a proposal to establish same is in the Register,
4 and 23 August 1873, pages 5b and 5a; also see
5, 6, 11 and 16 April 1877, pages 4c, 4e, 4b and 5b,
2, 3, 4, 5, 17 24 and 28 May 1877, pages 7c, 6f-g, 5a, 5f, 5b-g, 6f and 7a,
12, 15 and 26 June 1877, pages 5c, 4e and 4f,
25 June 1878, page 5c,
20, 21 and 25 June 1878, pages 6b, 4d and 5c.
It is described in the Observer,
1 February 1879, page 21e,
25 February 1882, page 27c; also see
3 April 1877, page 5e,
9 May 1879, page 6c,
5 September 1881, page 6e,
10 September 1881, page 33e and
7 January 1882, page 22b and
4 February 1882, page 21e, for satirical poems.
Also see Register,
9 May 1879, page 6c,
27 July 1926, page 5.
The cattle quarantine station is described in the Register,
22 April 1879, page 5b,
11 July 1879, page 4e,br> Observer,
26 April 1879, page 9g,
2 August 1879, page 7b,
30 September 1879, page 5g,
5 September 1881, page 6e.
Further information on the station and the incidence of smallpox are to be found in the Register,
4, 5, 7, 14, 16 and 27 January 1882, pages 5f, 4g, 6g, 6a, 4d and 5d,
20 February 1882, page 6b,
12 January 1887, page 5b; also see
22 September 1886, page 5d.
"Smallpox at Torrens Island" is in the Observer,
6 August 1892, page 31c.
"Smallpox - Case of RMS Mooltan" is in the Register,
17 April 1911, page 7b.
Also see South Australia - Health - General Health Matters - Smallpox and Vaccination.
"Amusements in Quarantine" are recorded in the Register,
22 April 1886, page 5d; also see
12 January 1887, page 5b.
A history of the station appears on
29 May 1893, page 6f; also see
7 April 1898, page 5h,
7 April 1900, page 10a.
"Torrens Island Vacated" is in the Express,
20 February 1882, page 3c,
"A Visit to Torrens Island" on
27 September 1883, page 3d.
"Release of the Quarantine Passengers" is in the Register,
6 May 1886, page 6e.
An obituary of Isaac Yeo, dairy farmer, is in the Register,
28 July 1891, page 5c.
Also see Adelaide - Pubilc Health - Milk Supply.
An obituary of William Lewis, quarantine keeper, is in the Register,
27 November 1897, page 5a.
"Quarantine Arrangements" is in the Register,
8 January 1895, page 5c.
"The Quarantine Island Cemetery" is in the Register,
15 June 1896, page 5b,
20 June 1896, page 44b.
"The Quarantine Martyrs" is in the Observer,
16 April 1898, page 33c.
7 April 1898, page 5h,
"Quarantine Arrangements" on
23 August 1898, page 7h; also see
16 December 1899, page 5b-c,
5, 6, 12 and 13 March 1900, pages 4h, 4h, 4f and 4g-i.
A "Fiasco at Quarantine Station" and the aftermath is narrated in the Register,
22, 23, 25, 27, 28, 29 and 30 May 1901, pages 4c-5a, 4c-6g-7d, 6c-8b, 6f, 5i, 3f and 6c-9f,
1, 14 and 15 June 1901, pages 8e-f, 6g and 6a.
The island is described on
10 November 1921, page 6g.
Photographs are in the Chronicle,
29 April 1911, page 29.
Also see South Australia - Maritime Affairs.
The quarantining of passengers from the India is reported in the Observer,
10 March 1900, page 29e.
A field naturalists excursion is reported in the Register,
30 January 1906, page 3i.
"Life in Quarantine" is in the Register,
19 July 1906, page 8c.
"Quarantine Passengers [from RMS Otway]" is in the Register,
29 March 1910, page 5e.
"Quarantine Station" is in the Register,
25 February 1911, page 14f.
"Isolated Immigrants - Sent to Quarantine Station" is in the Register,
14 December 1911, page 6f; also see
15 and 20 December 1912, pages 12g and 6f,
12 January 1912, page 5a.
"Smallpox on Mail Steamer - Passengers at Torrens Island" is in the Register,
23 March 1914, page 9d.
"At the Quarantine Station" is in the Register,
12 January 1915, page 3f.
The purchase of the station is discussed in the Register,
13 March 1915, page 8d.
An obituary of Dr W.J. Gething, Chief Quarantine Officer, is in the Register,
23 June 1915, page 6h.
"Water Supply for Torrens Island" is in the Register,
30 May 1917, page 6d.
Also see Adelaide - Water Supply.
"Quarantine Reminiscences" is in the Register,
28 December 1918, page 6d,
4 January 1919, page 28e.
"Influenza" is in the Register,
30 December 1918, page 5e.
Also see South Australia - Health - Fevers - Influenza.
"Torrens Island Today" is in The Mail,
27 March 1926, page 18d,
"Quarantine Station" in the Register,
27 July 1926, page 5i,
"Work at Torrens Island Quarantine Station" on
16 June 1928, page 3d.
"Torrens Island When It Was an Independent Republic" is in the Advertiser,
12 July 1958. page 63 (supp.).
"Quarantine Station Condemned" is in the Register,
3 March 1930, page 5a.
Its school opened in 1928 and closed in 1935.