State Library of South Australia
Manning Index of South Australian History
  • South Australia
  • Adelaide
  • Port Adelaide
  • Place Names
  •  

  • About the Index
  • Searching
  • Text-based menus
    (Use this option if your browser will not open the folders.)

    Place Names of South Australia - H

    Hindmarsh

    Hindmarsh

    Miscellany

    The recall of the governor is discussed in the Southern Australian,
    23 June 1838, page 2d,
    21 July 1838, page 2c.
    "Hindmarsh the Autocrat" is in the Observer,
    2 February 1929, page 56d.
    Also see South Australia - Governors and Ancillary Matters.

    "A Poem of Sixty Years Ago" is in the Express, 31 December 1895, page 3a.

    An obituary of Sir John Hindmarsh is in the Register,
    12 October 1860, page 2d; also see
    Chronicle,
    2 May 1929, page 61c;
    "Governor Hindmarsh Greatly Maligned" is in the Advertiser,
    21 December 1936, page 22f.

    The "Adventures of Sir John Hindmarsh" is in the Register,
    31 August 1901, page 8c,
    "Adventures of Captain John Hindmarsh" on
    11 March 1911, page 16e,
    "Sir John Hindmarsh - Confirmation of Age" is in the Advertiser,
    26 April 1929, page 16d.

    A ploughing match at Mr Cook's farm is reported in the Southern Australian,
    2 August 1844, page 2b; also see
    Register,
    16 September 1858, page 3g,
    Chronicle,
    20 August 1859, page 7e .
    Also see South Australia - Industries - Rural, Primary and Secondary - Ploughing Matches.

    Information on a bridge across the River Torrens is in the Southern Australian,
    18 October 1844, page 3c.
    The opening of Taylor's Bridge is reported in the Register,
    2 July 1858, page 3d.
    A proposal to remove the toll house near the bridge is reported in the Register,
    16 August 1880, page 4g;
    the opening of a new bridge is reported on the same day on page 6a.

    Also see Adelaide - Bridges.

    Information on Taylor's Bridge is in the Register,
    6 February 1902, page 6i,
    29 June 1903, page 4f,
    20 July 1903, page 4g,
    30 November 1903, page 4f,
    15 December 1903, page 4h (nomenclature),
    21 January 1904, page 3f.
    "The Hindmarsh Bridge" is in the Register,
    19 October 1891, page 5a.p> The "sale" of a wife is reported in the Register,
    17 July 1847, page 3e.
    "Wives for Sale", the recounting of an 1847 "transaction" is in the Register,
    5 July 1926, page 10h.

    The formation of a Mechanics Institute is reported in the Register,
    31 July 1847, page 2a; also see
    16 October 1847, page 2e.

    Information on a new hotel is in the South Australian, 22 September 1846, page 7c.

    A public meeting held to consider the incorporation of Hindmarsh and Bowden is reported in the Adelaide Times,
    6 June 1851, page 3a.
    A proposal for a Hindmarsh Corporation is in the Observer,
    27 June 1874, page 3f.
    The diamond jubilee of the Corporation is reported in the Advertiser,
    1 March 1924, page 13d.
    .

    Information on the municipal seal is in the Observer,
    18 March 1899, page 33e.
    A photograph of town councillors is in the Chronicle,
    4 February 1905, page 25,
    The Critic,
    4 August 1909, page 7.
    Also see South Australia - Miscellany - Local Government

    A proposed bridge over the River Torrens is discussed in the Register,
    7 October 1857, page 3b.
    "Crossing the Torrens" is in the Register,
    8 June 1893, page 6d.
    .

    The need for police protection is discussed in the Register,
    23 March 1861, page 3d; also see
    8 November 1904, page 4g,
    5 March 1867, page 3a,
    24 April 1907, page 5b,
    7 May 1907, page 4f.
    Also see South Australia - Police.

    A proposed building society is discussed in the Chronicle, 16 February 1861, page 2c (supp.).
    Information on a Starr-Bowkett building society is in the Register, 6 June 1885, page 5a.

    The first concert of the Hindmarsh Sacred Choral Society is reported in the Register, 30 November 1861, page 2d.
    Information on a choral society is in the Express,
    22 October 1885, page 3d,
    21 April 1887, page 2e,
    30 October 1890, page 4c,
    Register,
    4 June 1887, page 5c.

    The wedding of Miss E. Dench is reported in the Register, 26 May 1864, page 2d.

    The death of George Bellgrove is reported in the Register, 12 October 1865, page 2c.

    A mowing match is reported in the Chronicle, 4 November 1865, page 6d.

    The destruction of the Hindmarsh Dam is reported in the Register,
    28 July 1866, page 2c,
    Observer,
    28 July 1866, page 2f (supp.).
    "Another Dam on the Torrens" is in the Register,
    29 November 1881, page 5a.
    Also see Torrens, River

    A proposed benevolent society is discussed in the Register, 16 August 1866, page 2f.

    The Register of
    27 December 1866, page 2b has a report of "Christmas Dinner at Hindmarsh" for the "aged and indiginent [sic] inhabitants of the town and neighbouring villages, the expense of which was defrayed by Mr G.F Angas..."; also see
    27 December 1869, page 2g.

    Information on the Hindmarsh Brass and Reed Band and Glee Club is in the Express, 22 October 1869, page 2e.

    The quality of the River Torrens water is described in the Register, 5 March 1873, page 6e:

    Information on the proposed Institute and Town Hall is in the Register,
    26 February 1876, page 5d,
    30 March 1877, page 5a,
    while "blunders in the building contract" are aired on
    17 October 1878, page 4d.
    The laying of its foundation stone is reported on
    6 December 1880, page 6c - for its opening see
    16 August 1881, page 6a; also see
    Register,
    15 June 1886, page 6f,
    Express,
    22 September 1886, page 7c,
    Register,
    31 January 1908, page 6f,
    The News,
    11 August 1927, page 6c.

    Reminiscences of "An Early Days Institute" by Mr L. Scammell appears on
    6 December 1900, page 4h; also see
    9 May 1906, page 5a and
    Advertiser,
    14 June 1886, page 6d.

    "Death From Falling Down a Well" is in the Register, 2 December 1876, page 6e.

    "Mr Henry Taylor at Hindmarsh" is in the Register, 10 and 26 January 1877, pages 6h and 4f.

    "An Anti-Chinese Meeting" is reported in the Register,
    8 January 1879, page 6d - the aftermath may be seen on
    9, 10, 13, 14 and 16 January 1879 (supp.), pages 6f, 6f, 5g-6a, 6a and 1c.
    Also see Adelaide - Chinese Population.

    A banquet given in honour of Mr John Dench is reported in the Register,
    12 February 1879, page 5b,
    Chronicle,
    15 February 1879, page 11c.

    A trial of "an improved wool-press" is reported in the Register, 28 April 1880, page 5g.

    Its first floricultural and horticultural show is reported in the Register,
    20 October 1881, page 2d; also see
    Express,
    6 June 1883, page 2c,
    18 February 1893, page 6g,
    3 May 1894, page 4a,
    12 November 1896, page 2e,
    29 October 1897, page 4d,
    21 October 1903, page 2d.
    Also see South Australia - Miscellany - Agricultural, Floricultural & Horticultural Shows .

    A dinner for F.E. Bucknall is reported in the Register, 8 December 1881, page 1c (supp.).
    Also see Place Names - Grange

    Information on a volunteer rifle company is in the Register, 14 November 1883, page 5c.
    Also see South Australia - Defence of the Colony.

    The sanitary condition of the town is discussed in the Register, 30 November 1883, page 4e.

    The opening of Ethelbert Square is reported in the Register, 18 August 1884, page 7g.

    A local option poll is reported in the Register,
    28 January 1884, page 5a; also see
    14 June 1887, page 7f,
    11 July 1887, page 5c,
    Express,
    5 January 1885, page 2d,
    18 July 1887, page 4b.
    Also see South Australia - Social Matters - Temperance and Allied Matters - Local Options.

    A literary tournament is reported in the Express, 9 April 1884, page 3b.

    Information on the post office is in the Register,
    21 April 1884, page 5a,
    Express,
    24 June 1884, page 4a.

    A circus is reported upon in the Express, 25 June 1884, page 6f.

    The opening of Ethel Burt Square is reported in the Register, 18 August 1884, page 7g.

    Information on the cemetery is in the Express,
    28 November 1884, page 2d,
    28 October 1886, page 4c,
    1 November 1886, page 4e.

    A proposed resurvey of the town is discussed in the Register,
    29 November 1884, page 5d,
    Express,
    1 December 1884, page 2e.

    Foul odours emanating from local sewers are the subject of complaint in the Register,
    31 January 1885, page 6e,
    6 and 7 February 1885, pages 7c and 4g.

    "The Unemployed at Hindmarsh" is in the Express, 22 and 24 December 1885, pages 3d and 3d.

    Lighting of the first street gas-lamps is reported in the Register,
    4 September 1885, page 5d; also see
    4 April 1903, page 4g,
    Express,
    14 January 1903, page 2f.
    The introduction of street lighting is discussed in the Register, 4 April 1903, page 4g.
    Information on street lighting is in the Register, 7 April 1914, page 8c.
    Also see Adelaide - Lighting the City and Homes.

    An outbreak of typhoid fever is reported in the Register, 12 February 1886, page 5b.
    Also see South Australia - Health - Fevers - Typhoid.

    A meeting held to consider declaring Hindmarsh a manufacturing district is reported in the Register, 30 March 1886, page 7f.

    Mr Reeves' nursery in Bacon Street is described in the Register, 29 April 1886, page 5d.

    Information on the Salvation Army is in the Express, 11 June 1886, page 2b.
    Also see South Australia - Religion - Salvation Army.

    "Opera at Hindmarsh" is in the Express,
    15 December 1886, page 5g,
    "Gold at Hindmarsh" is in the Advertiser,
    18 February 1887, page 7a.

    Information on a chess club is in the Express,
    28 September 1888, page 3b,
    4 October 1888, page 4b,
    4 December 1891, page 4d.
    A telephonic chess match against Gawler is reported in the Observer, 31 August 1889, page 31b.

    "Larrikinism on the Port Road" is in the Express,
    20 October 1888, page 3b; also see
    31 August 1891, page 2d.
    Also see Adelaide - Larrikinism.

    A mock attack on the town by defence forces is described in the Register, 7 October 1889, page 6e.
    Also see South Australia - Defence of the Colony.

    "The Hindmarsh Bore" is in the Register, 25 June 1890, page 5a.

    Meetings of retail traders are reported in the Register,
    11 and 25 November 1891, pages 5e and 5c and
    details of the "weekly half-holiday" in the trade on
    14 January 1892, page 5c; also see
    9 February 1892, page 6f.

    Information on old buildings is in the Express,
    28 July 1892, page 4b,
    22 December 1892, page 4b.

    Tree planting on the Port Road Reserve is reported in the Observer, 9 July 1892, page 12c.
    Also see Port Adelaide - Port Road.

    A controversy within the Corporation is aired in the Register, 9, 16, 17, 20 and 21 March 1893, pages 4g, 5a-6g, 6f-7b, 6h and 5b:

    "Mayors and Manners" is in the Register,
    9 March 1893, page 4g,
    Observer,
    11 March 1893, pages 25a-31b.

    "Accidental Poisoning" is in the Register, 20 March 1893, page 5c.

    The golden wedding of Mr & Mrs Arthur Dorling is reported in the Register, 12 June 1894, page 5b.

    "The Hindmarsh Trade" is in the Express,
    16 October 1894, page 3f,
    "The Wednesday Closers - The Annual Picnic" on
    31 January 1895, page 3e.

    Biographical details of a Mayor, Benjamin Gould, are in the Register, 3 December 1894, page 7h.

    "Burglaries at Hindmarsh" is in the Observer, 19 October 1895, page 14e.

    "A Ghost at Hindmarsh" is in the Express,
    3 October 1895, page 3f,
    4 February 1903, page 2c.
    Also see South Australia - Miscellany - Ghosts.

    Storm damage is discussed in the Express,
    5 November 1894, page 3f,
    Chronicle,
    29 February 1896, page 17a and
    the aftermath of an earthquake on
    15 May 1897, page 17.
    Also see South Australia - Natural Disasters - Floods

    Information on cottage homes is in the Express,
    28 and 31 July 1897, pages 2e and 4f-5c,
    13 August 1897, page 2d,
    Register,
    25 May 1906, page 3d,
    3 October 1906, page 4g; also see
    Express,
    17 and 25 March 1898, pages 3c and 4c,
    20 May 1898, page 4c,
    9 June 1898, page 3f,
    Register,
    21 September 1907, page 11b for "Queen Diamond" and "Jubilee" Homes.
    Also see Adelaide - Housing, Architecture and Ancillary Matters - Cottage Homes.

    Information on local shops is in the Register, 7 July 1896, page 6d.

    Biographical details of a Mayor, A.W. Ralph, are in the Observer,
    27 March 1897, page 16d,
    of C.R. Hocking on
    25 February 1899, page 16a,
    of W. Blight on
    5 April 1902, page 51c,
    of S.A. Brown on
    31 October 1925, page 36d.

    Information on the Queen's Diamond Homes is in the Express,
    28 and 31 July 1897, pages 2e and 4f-5c,
    13 August 1897, page 2d,
    Observer,
    7 August 1897, page 14e,
    Register,
    2 August 1897, page 6c,
    25 May 1906, page 3d,
    3 October 1906, page 4g; also see
    Express,
    17 and 25 March 1898, pages 3c and 4c,
    20 May 1898, page 4c,
    9 June 1898, page 3f,
    Register,
    21 September 1907, page 11b for "Queen Diamond" and "Jubilee" Homes.
    Information on cottage homes is in the Register,
    22 November 1905, page 4f,
    25 May 1906, page 3d,
    3 October 1906, page 4g,
    1 February 1908, page 9b.

    A meeting of the local branch of the District and Trained Nursing Society is reported in the Express,
    21 April 1899, page 4a,
    Register,
    22 June 1904, page 6i,
    Register,
    14 August 1908, page 3f.
    Also see South Australia - Women - Nursing and Female Doctors.

    A rescue from "Bean's waterhole" is reported in the Register, 16 October 1899, page 4g.

    Information on J.H. Shearing's poultry breeding yards is in the Observer, 30 June 1900, page 4c.

    A rose show is reported in the Express,
    23 October 1901, page 4b,
    Register,
    30 October 1907, page 6e.

    The silver wedding of Pastor & Mrs Lees is reported in the Register,
    18 May 1904, page 4h,
    the golden wedding of Mr & Mrs William Leaney on
    1 July 1905, page 7b.

    "The Hindmarsh Rangers [special constables]" is in the Register,
    30 August 1904, page 4f; also see
    20 December 1904, page 6h.

    The golden wedding of Mr & Mrs James Chittleborough is reported in the Register,
    29 March 1905, page 4h,
    Observer,
    1 April 1905, page 24a.
    Her obituary is in the Register,
    17 August 1906, page 4h,
    Observer,
    25 August 1906, page 38b.

    "A Pitch-and-Toss School" is in the Register, 1 December 1905, page 4h.
    Also see South Australia - Miscellany - Gambling.

    "Hindmarsh Slang - Stoushing a Constable" is in the Express, 21 February 1906, page 1f.

    "Boys' Brigade for Hindmarsh" is in the Register, 3 July 1907, page 6f.
    Also see Adelaide - Boys' Brigade and Allied Associations.

    "Town Clock for Hindmarsh" is in the Register, 10 September 1907, page 3h.

    "Hindmarsh Reserves" is in the Register, 16 January 1908, page 7h.

    Information on the water supply is in the Express, 23 January 1908, page 1f.
    Also see Adelaide - Water Supply.

    A photograph of the opening of a tower on Mr R.B. Scarfe's residence is in The Critic, 18 March 1908, page 13.

    A photograph of a soccer team is in the Observer, 11 September 1909, page 31.
    Also see South Australia - Sport - Soccer.

    "Fight in the Dark - Sensation at Hindmarsh" is in the Register, 5 November 1909, pages 6g-7c.

    "Rechabite Hall and Dancing" is in the Register,
    9 March 1910, page 3f; also see
    8 November 1910, page 6b for the opening of a Rechabite Hall.
    Also see South Australia - Social Matters - Dancing and Other Sins

    A photograph of the laying of the foundation stone of the Rechabite Hall is in the Chronicle,
    16 July 1910, page 29,
    Register,
    11 July 1910, page 10b.

    The opening of the first suburban branch of the Savings Bank of SA is reported in the Register, 30 March 1911, page 9d.
    .

    "Polls at Hindmarsh - First Street to be Sold" is in the Express, 17 July 1911, page 3d.
    "5,000 pounds for [First] Street" is in the Register, 10 and 31 July 1918, pages 8f and 6f.

    Biographical details of Joseph D. Brown are in the Register,
    2 December 1911, page 12i,
    of W.J. Richardson on
    10 June 1914, page 10a.

    A photograph of cadet officers is in The Critic, 22 May 1912.

    The laying of the foundation stone of the Masonic Temple is reported in the Register, 3 June 1912, page 9a.
    Also see South Australia - Miscellany - Freemasonry.

    "Boxthorn Barred" is in the Register, 6 August 1912, page 3f.

    "Hindmarsh Brass Band" is in the Register, 18 October 1912, page 5g.

    "An Ancient Marsupial - Diprotodon at Hindmarsh" is in the Register, 4 July 1913, page 7b.

    "Corporations and Unionism" is in the Register,
    8 and 10 July 1914, pages 8b and 9e-12e,
    4 August 1914, page 12f; also see
    6 August 1915, page 3g under "Socialists and the Council".

    Biographical details of a Mayor, Joseph D. Brown, are in the Register, 1 December 1913, page 8f.

    "A Mania for Drunks - Sober Men Arrested" is in the Register, 16 December 1913, page 7c.

    "Alleged Roll Stuffing [in a Municipal Election]" is in the Register, 20 January 1914, page 7f.

    An obituary of William E. Michell is in the Register,
    23 January 1905, page 4f,
    The golden wedding of Mr & Mrs G.H. Michell is reported in the Register,
    26 October 1915, page 4h;
    an obituary of G.H. Michell is in the Register,
    4 February 1918, page 4g,
    Observer,
    9 February 1918, page 13d.

    Biographical details of a Mayor, J.F. King, are in the Observer,
    9 December 1916, page 47e,
    of Mrs Nancy Mauger on
    17 June 1922, page 28b
    (obit.
    23 September 1922, page 35b).

    Photographs of a patriotic carnival are in The Critic,
    20 September 1916, page 14,
    of Australia Day celebrations on
    17 October 1917, page 12.

    A proposed Soldiers Memorial is discussed in the Register,
    28 September 1915, page 4f,
    6 January 1922, page 6e,
    10 and 18 February 1922, pages 6h and 8d.
    Also see South Australia - World War I - Memorials to the Fallen.

    A photograph of an Australia Day celebration is in the Observer,
    20 October 1917, page 25,
    of a Repatriation Carnival on
    2 November 1918, page 23.

    Biographical details of John Tait are in the Register,
    28 November 1917, page 6e,
    of Henry Horsfall on
    12 June 1918, page 6g,
    of G.A. Noble on
    30 January 1922, page 6g,
    of Mrs Nancy Mauger on
    10 June 1922, page 8h,
    16 September 1922, page 8i (obit.),
    of A. Glastonbury on
    1 January 1923, page 6e,
    of Mrs Bertha Stow on
    5 June 1923, page 7f,
    of Thomas J. Bishop on
    18 May 1926, page 8h.

    "A Shooting Affray - Mother and Daughter Wounded" is in the Register, 10 and 27 March 1919, pages 4i and 9a.

    "The Old Mill" is in the Register,
    14 February 1920, page 10g.
    The opening of a children's playground is reported on
    28 September 1921, page 9c and
    28 November 1921, page 9e.
    Photographs are in the The Critic,
    30 November 1921, page 5,
    Chronicle,
    3 December 1921, page 28,
    Observer,
    3 December 1921, page 23.

    The golden wedding of Mr & Mrs T.H. Brooker is reported in the Register, 8 March 1920, page 6f.

    A proposed motor ambulance is discussed in the Register,
    15 October 1920, page 6g,
    23 June 1921, page 6h,
    21 June 1922, page 9f,
    10 September 1924, page 5c.
    Photographs are in the Chronicle,
    2 July 1921, page 16.
    Also see Adelaide - St John's Ambulance.

    Biographical details of Thomas Phelps are in The Critic, 30 November 1921, page 5.

    The golden wedding of Mr & Mrs B. Jackson is reported in the Register, 10 March 1922, page 6h.

    The opening of a memorial institute is reported in the Register,
    17 July 1922, page 9g;
    photographs of the laying of its foundation stone are in the Chronicle,
    25 February 1922, page 29.

    A report on the town's jubilee year appears in the Register, 28 February 1924, page 11f.

    The reminiscences of Meshach Hall are in the Observer, 5 April 1924, page 16d.

    Biographical details of Mrs Matilda M. Justin are in the Register,
    26 May 1924, page 8g,
    of S.A. Brown on
    29 October 1925, page 8h,
    of Alfred Harry on
    7 March 1928, page 8g.

    "The Progress of Hindmarsh" is in the Advertiser,
    3 December 1924, page 11c,
    "Historic Hindmarsh" in the Register,
    16 January 1925, page 11d.

    Photographs of a Gala Day in aid of the District Trained Nurses' Society are in the Observer,
    5 December 1925, page 32,
    4 December 1926, page 34,
    of the society's motor car on
    9 April 1927, page 34.
    A photograph of the Baby Health Centre is in the Observer,
    24 December 1927, page 37.

    "Hotels in Hindmarsh" is in the Register,
    30 April 1926, page 7e,
    1 May 1926, page 7e (Letters re a local option poll).

    The opening of a new courtroom is reported in the Register, 7 July 1926, page 7i.

    The reminiscences of Mr T.J. Bishop are in the Register,
    10 January 1927, page 11c,
    Observer,
    15 January 1927, page 44d.

    "Noted Hindmarsh Resident - Death of Mr C.R. Hocking" is in the Advertiser, 14 April 1927, page 20d.

    A photograph of members of the Hindmarsh Traders' Association is in the Register, 7 October 1927, page 10.

    Photographs of a Gala Day are in the Observer, 31 March 1928, page 36.

    "Back to Hindmarsh" activities is in the Register,
    18, 27 and 29 September 1928, pages 13f, 12 and 15d,
    8 October 1928, page 13d.
    Photographs are in the Chronicle,
    6 October 1928, page 41.

    Information on the West Hindmarsh Scout Group is in The Mail, 12 January 1929, page 10d.
    Also see Adelaide - Boy Scouts.

    Its centenary is reported upon in the Advertiser, 23 September 1937, page 19d.

    Hindmarsh

    Obituaries

    Hindmarsh - Obituaries

    An obituary of Joseph Gobey is in the Register,
    22 June 1876, page 5b,
    of Rees Jones on
    7 April 1883, page 5b,
    of S. Kidner on
    13 and 14 August 1883, pages 4g and 5a,
    of Mrs Ann S. Bott on
    20 December 1886, page 5d,
    of John Goodall on
    10 August 1888, page 4h,
    of Samuel Walkley on
    19 September 1888, page 5b,
    of Walter Bullough on
    19 September 1888, page 5b,
    of G.J. Linn on
    1 October 1888, page 5b,
    of C.F. Greenwood on
    24 December 1889, page 5b.

    An obituary of C.W.F. Trapmann is in the Register,
    15 June 1885, page 5c,
    of Mathew Elliott on
    3 June 1886, page 5a.

    An obituary of Alexander Park is in the Register,
    1 May 1890, page 5c,
    of John Dench on
    11 February 1891, page 5b,
    of Mrs George King on
    25 March 1891, page 4h,
    of A.E. Vardon on
    16 June 1891, page 5b,
    of William Whichello on
    21 January 1892, page 5a,
    of Mrs Matilda B. McKay on
    15 August 1892, page 5a,
    of Mrs Mary A. Hall on
    19 September 1892, page 5a,
    of Mrs John Hughes on
    29 December 1892, page 4h.

    An obituary of E.L. Palmer is in the Observer,
    14 February 1891, page 29b,
    of Ephraim Gould on
    17 October 1891, page 30b,
    of Robert Linn on
    16 September 1893, page 13a,
    of Rebecca Bushell on
    16 December 1893, page 15d,
    of J. Harry on
    3 February 1894, page 30c,
    of George Burnell on
    1 December 1894, page 30d,
    of Mrs Sarah A. Neyle on
    15 December 1894, page 14c.

    An obituary of Josiah Chesterman is in the Observer,
    3 December 1892, page 30b,
    of W.C. Pullen on
    22 July 1893, page 30d.

    An obituary of Robert Jarvis is in the Register,
    2 January 1893, page 5b,
    of William Dorsett on
    3 July 1893, page 5b,
    of W.C. Pullen on
    18 July 1893, page 5d,
    of Dr John Rees on
    20 July 1893, page 5e,
    of John Lowe on
    1 November 1893, page 5e,
    of Mrs Rebecca Bushell on
    11 December 1893, page 5d,
    of J. Harry on
    29 January 1894, page 5d,
    of Mrs Mary A. Dench on
    5 February 1894, page 5c,
    of Philip Martin on
    2 March 1894, page 5e,
    of Sarah Jaques on
    19 April 1894, page 5b,
    of George Burnell on
    26 November 1894, page 5a.

    An obituary of Robert Linn is in the Express,
    9 September 1893, page 4d,
    of James Harry on
    30 January 1894, page 2e.

    An obituary of Mrs Hannah Mornington is in the Register,
    29 October 1895, page 7e,
    of J.S. Kennedy on
    15 November 1895, page 5c,
    of J. Bridger on
    9 March 1896, page 4h,
    of Mrs Eliza Mills on
    25 May 1896, page 5b,
    of John Warren on
    9 June 1896, page 5b,
    of Arthur Wharton and George Driver on
    14 August 1896, page 5c,
    of R.B. Duncan on
    7 September 1896, page 5c,
    of James King on
    1 February 1897, page 5a,
    of Mrs Margaret Little on
    31 March 1897, page 5c,
    of James Knight on
    3 May 1897, page 5b,
    of Mrs Maria Bridges on
    31 December 1897, page 4h.

    An obituary of Charles Beaumont is in the Observer,
    4 May 1895, page 29b,
    of Mrs John Chew on
    12 June 1897, page 29a,
    of John Thomas, hotelier, on
    8 April 1905, page 34b,
    of Henry Lovell on
    29 July 1905, page 38d,
    of Isaac Brown on
    29 July 1905, page 38d,
    of John Carroll on
    21 April 1906, page 38e,
    of Mrs Susanah Blackman on
    28 April 1906, page 38d,
    of Charles Medwell on
    15 September 1906, page 38d.

    An obituary of Thomas Mossop is in the Chronicle, 20 June 1896, page 18c.

    An obituary of James King, builder, is in the Observer,
    6 February 1897, page 29c,
    of Samuel Coombe in the Express,
    3 January 1899, page 2d,
    of Mrs Elizabeth Quartly on
    17 September 1904, pasge 38a,
    of William Pritchard, "the builder of the first stone house in Hindmarsh", on
    26 November 1904, page 34c,
    of William Yendall on
    10 December 1904, page 26a,
    of Ezra Battye on
    31 March 1906, page 38e.

    An obituary of James Lawrence is in the Register,
    7 February 1900, page 5b,
    of Charles Taylor and William Hoskin on
    4 January 1902, page 7b,
    of Mrs Ann Mugridge on
    18 November 1902, page 5a.

    An obituary of W.S. Mitton is in the Register,
    18 June 1901, page 5a,
    of Thomas Harkness on
    17 February 1902, page 4g,
    of F.H. Champion, "a pioneer soapmaker", on
    2 April 1902, page 5c,
    of Mrs Joseph Aston on
    4 December 1903, page 5b.

    An obituary of William Allen, "who had the distinction of making the first bag of flour for the late Mr Ridley...", is in the Observer, 14 November 1903, page 21a.

    An obituary of W.H. Beaglehole is in the Register,
    3 May 1904, page 5b,
    of J.E. Mitton on
    25 June 1904, page 7a,
    of Mrs Elizabeth Quartly on
    13 September 1904, page 4i,
    of Miss Florence Drew on
    3 November 1904, page 4h,
    of William Pritchard on
    22 November 1904, page 5a,
    of William Yendall on
    3 December 1904, page 8i.

    An obituary of R. Marshall is in the Register,
    27 March 1905, page 4i,
    of Mrs William Brooker on
    30 March 1905, page 5a,
    of John Thomas, hotelier, on
    6 April 1905, page 5b,
    of J.E. Mitton on
    12 June 1905, page 4h,
    of Henry Lovell on
    21 July 1905, page 4h,
    of J.G. Sims on
    9 October 1905, page 4i.

    An obituary of Ezra Battye is in the Register,
    28 march 1906, page 5b,
    of John Carroll on
    18 April 1906, page 4i,
    of Mrs Susannah Blackman on
    20 April 1906, page 4h,
    of Charles Medwell on
    8 September 1906, page 6i,
    of John Letcher on
    18 September 1906, page 5b,
    of Mrs Nancy Kelsall on
    4 December 1906, page 5c.

    An obituary of John Odgers is in the Observer,
    30 March 1907, page 37c,
    of Mrs Lydia Inglis on
    20 April 1907, page 38d,
    of A.E. Burnell on
    20 March 1909, page 40e,
    of Joseph Aston on
    20 March 1909, page 40e,
    of J.C. Henwood on
    3 April 1909, page 24b,
    of Mrs Frances S. Hunwick on
    15 May 1909, page 38b,
    of H.W. James on
    21 August 1809, page 40a,
    of John Langman on
    21 August 1909, page 40b.

    An obituary of John Odgers is in the Register,
    26 March 1907, page 5a,
    of George Templeton on
    2 April 1907, page 5a,
    of Mrs Lydia Inglis on
    17 April 1907, page 5b,
    of George A. Parker, chemist, on
    29 June 1907, page 9c.

    An obituary of Joseph Aston is in the Register,
    18 March 1909, page 5c,
    of A.E. Burnell on
    18 March 1909, page 5c,
    of Thomas J. Moody on
    8 May 1909, page 9b,
    of Mrs Frances S. Hunwick on
    13 May 1909, page 5b,
    of John Langman on
    17 August 1909, page 4h,
    of William A. Trengove on
    21 October 1909, page 5c.

    An obituary of Mrs M.J. Tregenza is in the Register,
    3 March 1910, page 13c,
    of William Hamence on
    4 December 1911, page 6h,
    of William Leaney on
    18 September 1917, page 4g.

    An obituary of Mrs M.J. Tregenza is in the Observer,
    5 March 1910, page 40b,
    of Henry Hunwick on
    8 April 1911, page 41a,
    of Mrs Caroline Johns on
    15 February 1913, page 41a,
    of Mrs Ann Arnold on
    22 February 1913, page 41a,
    of Phillip Sansom on
    25 October 1913, page 41b,
    of G.T. Eardley on
    22 November 1913, page 41a,
    of Mrs A.E. Burnell on
    22 November 1913, page 41c,
    of William Leaney on
    22 September 1917, page 43e,
    of George R. Marks on
    16 February 1918, page 31b,
    of John McCarthy on
    29 June 1918, page 20c,
    of Mrs Annie Eardley on
    28 September 1918, page 29b,
    of Henry Horsfall on
    30 August 1919, page 30b.

    An obituary of G.H. Blackman is reported in the Register,
    9 March 1911, page 4h,
    of Henry Hunwick on
    1 April 1911, page 13d,
    of Mrs Mary Hall on
    22 January 1912, page 6i,
    of Charles Davis on
    2 January 1913, page 4g,
    of Mrs Ann Arnold on
    17 February 1913, page 6h,
    of Phillip Sansom on
    18 October 1913, page 16a,
    14 November 1913, page 8b.

    An obituary of Albert Puddy is in the Register,
    20 January 1914, page 8a,
    of G.R. Marks on
    11 February 1918, page 4g,
    of John Lang on
    15 May 1918, page 6f,
    of John McCarthy on
    27 June 1918, page 4g,
    of Mrs Anne Eardley on
    19 September 1918, page 4i,
    of Henry Horsfall on
    28 August 1919, page 6h,
    of William Greig on
    15 November 1919, page 6h.

    An obituary of J. Tonkin is in the Register,
    26 January 1920, page 6h,
    of A.W. Oatway on
    30 April 1920, page 7b,
    of John Tait on
    12 May 1920, page 7a,
    of George Maggs on
    9 August 1920, page 4h,
    of Robert Marshall on
    21 March 1921, page 9g,
    of John Battersby on
    5 September 1921, page 4h,
    of James S. Martin on
    2 December 1921, page 8f,
    of Joseph Reid on
    10 August 1922, page 6h,
    of Thomas Johns on
    24 September 1923, page 6g,
    of James Rhodes on
    29 November 1923, page 12b,
    of James S. Shearing on
    11 December 1923, page 6h,
    of S.H. Harrison on
    14 December 1923, page 10g,
    of David Annear on
    19 December 1923, page 8h,
    of Mrs Hannah Barrey on
    26 December 1923, page 6g.

    An obituary of John Tait is in the Observer,
    15 May 1920, page 27c,
    of Robert Marshall on
    26 March 1921, page 28d,
    of J.F. King on
    2 July 1921, page 37c,
    of J.T. Hartshorne on
    15 September 1923, page 28a,
    of David Annear on
    22 December 1923, page 43c,
    of J.D. Brown on
    17 January 1925, page 37e,
    of Albert Glastonbury on
    5 February 1927, page 44c,
    of C.R. Hocking on
    23 April 1927, page 44b,
    of J.K. Coombe on
    17 March 1928, page 43b,
    of Isaac Howson on
    5 January 1929, page 34c.

    An obituary of John Vardon is in the Register,
    22 February 1924, page 10f,
    of Thomas Clark on
    20 June 1924, page 8h,
    of J.D. Brown on
    15 January 1925, page 8g,
    of William Boath on
    30 July 1925, page 8h,
    of Mrs Fanny Bull on
    3 August 1925, page 6h,
    of Edwin R. Lucy on
    15 and 17 August 1924, pages 13e and 8g.

    An obituary of Mrs Elizabeth Paull is in the Register,
    13 January 1926, page 8h,
    of Henry C. Freburg on
    19 April 1926, page 9d,
    of Albert Glastonbury on
    1 February 1927, page 6g,
    of Charles R. Hocking on
    14 April 1927, page 13i,
    of Mrs Emily Stone on
    30 August 1927, page 13c,
    of George Parsonson on
    19 December 1927, page 8h,
    of Thomas Perkins on
    5 February 1929, page 5a.

    Hindmarsh
    Henley Beach - Hindmarsh, River
    H
    Place Names

    Hindmarsh

    Schools and Churches

    The laying of the foundation stone of All Saints' Church is reported in the Register,
    24 November 1849, page 2e.
    Its history appears on
    2 November 1904, page 6b;
    15 January 1906, page 3h;
    Observer,
    30 January 1905, page 43a (rems of),
    20 January 1906, page 43d,
    Register,
    5 November 1910, page 7h,
    The News,
    30 October 1928, page 8c.

    School examinations are reported in the Observer,
    1 January 1859, page 3d,
    Chronicle,
    27 December 1862, page 3e,
    Express,
    21 December 1863, page 3b,
    Chronicle,
    21 December 1867, page 4g,
    26 December 1868, page 12a.

    Information on the Robert Street school is in the Register, 4 January 1867, page 2e.

    A proposed school is discussed in the Register,
    16 May 1876, page 6d.
    The opening of the State school is in the Register,
    6 July 1878, (supp.), page 1a;
    a sketch is in the Pictorial Australian in
    April 1880, (supp.), page 1a,
    "The Hindmarsh School Contract" is in the Register,
    17 October 1878, page 4d-g;
    Frearson's Weekly,
    20 March 1880, page 61; also see
    Parliamentary Paper 140/1878 and
    Express,
    25 April 1890, page 4c,
    29 April 1893, page 6e,
    2 May 1893, page 4a.
    A "Hoisting the Flag" ceremony is reported in the Chronicle,
    18 May 1901, page 36d.
    A visiting day is reported upon in the Register,
    20 July 1907, page 14g.

    Information on the Model School is in the Register,
    16 and 25 December 1882, pages 7d and 5a.
    An Arbor Day is reported in the Register,
    2 August 1890, page 7b.

    An obituary of a headmaster, W.J. Kennedy, is in the Register, 30 August 1894, page 5c.

    "A Veteran Schoolmaster", the reminiscences of R.C. Mitton, is in the Register, 15 August 1905, page 7e.

    "Panic in School - Gas Explosion" is in the Express, 28 March 1907, page 4e.

    Information on the school's Mothers' Club is in The News,
    6 December 1928, page 13a.
    Photographs of a Trafalgar Day are in the Observer,
    28 October 1905, page 30,
    of an Arbor Day on
    14 August 1930, page 34.
    Photographs of a school Arbor Day are in the Observer, 14 August 1930, page 34.
    Also see South Australia - Education - Arbor Days.

    Information on the Congregational Church is in the Register,
    14 February 1862, page 2h.
    The laying of the foundation of a new Congregational Church is reported in the Chronicle,
    15 April 1882, page 21d;
    its opening in the Register,
    4 and 5 December 1882, pages 6e.
    A jubilee is reported in the Express,
    27 October 1898, page 4c,
    Register,
    27 October 1913, page 9f.
    Its history appears in the Register,
    24 November 1923, page 10; also see
    Advertiser,
    27 September 1928, page 11c,
    The News,
    13 November 1928, page 6d.

    The laying of the foundation stone of the Christian Brethren Chapel is reported in the Express, 14 June 1876, page 3f.

    The laying of the foundation stone of the Baptist Church is reported in the Register,
    17 June 1879, page 7a.
    Its opening is reported on
    23 September 1879, page 5b; also see
    3 November 1884, page 5a.
    A history appears on
    6 September 1924, page 16; also see
    The News,
    13 June 1925, page 6e.

    An obituary of Mrs Maddison, Head Mistress, is in the Register, 3 May 1881, page 4g.

    Information on a new Baptist Chapel is in the Register,
    18 June 1884, page 7b,
    Observer,
    22 November 1884, page 32d.

    The laying of the foundation stone of the Bible Christian Church is reported in the Express, 19 May 1885, page 2c.

    The opening of "Bethshan" (house of help) is reported in the Register, 21 May 1886, page 5h.

    A jubilee of the Congregational Church is reported in the Express, 29 October 1888, page 3g.
    Information on the Whitefield Congregational Institute and its campaign to raise funds to provide meals for "underfed children" is in The Mail,
    9 and 16 March 1929, pages 3a and 3a,
    16 December 1933, page 18.
    A photograph is in the Chronicle,
    11 June 1931, page 32,
    28 May 1936, page 38.

    The laying of the foundation stone of the Christian Church is reported in the Register,
    15 December 1902, page 3f;
    a sketch is in the Pictorial Australian in
    July 1876,
    Frearson's Weekly,
    18 August 1883, page 439.
    A jubilee of the Church of Christ is in the Register,
    14 September 1905, page 6g.
    The history of the Church of Christ is in the Register,
    9 February 1924, page 6.

    An obituary of Mr W.J. Kennedy, headmaster of the state school, is in the Observer,
    1 September 1894, page 29d,
    of Thomas Harkness, "town missionary", on
    22 February 1902, page 29e.

    "Public School Scholarships" is in the Register, 13 June 1905, page 3e.

    Biographical details of Rev Thomas Hope are in the Register, 8 July 1907, page 4g.

    Information on a school playground is in the Register,
    20 and 27 July 1907, pages 9a and 6h.
    The opening of the J.M. Reid playground is reported in the Register,
    28 November 1921, page 9e.
    Also see Adelaide - Entertainment and the Arts - Miscellany - Playgrounds

    A meeting called to discuss a proposed kindergarten is reported in the Register,
    6 December 1907, page 4c; also see
    Advertiser,
    7 February 1908, page 9f,
    Register,
    25 March 1909, page 7g.
    Also see South Australia - Education - Kindergarten

    Biographical details of Pastor Lees of the Hindmarsh Place Christian Church are in the Register, 6 August 1908, page 8b.

    The 50 year jubilee of the Hindmarsh Town Mission is reported in the Observer, 23 October 1915, page 45a.

    An obituary of Pastor H.D. Smith is in the Register,
    23 September 1915, page 6g,
    of Rev Thomas Hope on
    5 March 1917, page 6g.

    Information on the West Hindmarsh Methodist Church is in The News, 12 February 1929, page 8c.

    Hindmarsh
    Henley Beach - Hindmarsh, River
    H
    Place Names

    Hindmarsh

    Sport

    Cricket in Hindmarsh

    Information on the foundation of the Hindmarsh Cricket Club is in the Register,
    6 February 1864, page 2h,
    Advertiser,
    1 November 1915, page 11b.
    The results of a cricket match of Hindmarsh versus Echunga is in the Express,
    5 January 1871, page 3a,
    versus Meadows in the Register,
    26 May 1871, page 6c,
    versus Echunga on
    16 November 1871, page 3f; also see
    Observer,
    17 June 1876, page 12g,
    Express,
    1 September 1876, page 2c.
    A cricket club dinner is reported in the Register,
    14 June 1879, page 5e.

    A single wicket contest is reported in the Express,
    20 May 1872, page 3e,
    10 June 1872, page 3c.

    An entertaining account of a local cricket match is in the Register,
    25 and 31 January 1876, pages 7c and 6g -
    an unfortunate aftermath is reported on
    2 February 1876, page 7c and
    a return match on
    12 and 13 April 1876, pages 7b and 7c; also see
    3 December 1877, page 5g.

    A cricket excursion to Edithburgh is reported on 12 November 1879, page 6e.

    An unfortunate incident following a match against a Norwood team is reported in the Register,
    20 and 22 January 1880, pages 6d and 6c; also see
    Observer,
    31 July 1880, page 174a,
    Express,
    7 September 1885, page 3c,
    6 September 1887, page 4c,
    29 August 1888, page 5d,
    14 September 1891, page 3c,
    13 September 1892, page 4a,
    Register,
    6 September 1887, page 7b.

    A match against West Adelaide is reported in the Express, 7 October 1879, page 3d.

    A dispute with the North Adelaide Cricket Club and an ultimate ruling from the Marylebone Cricket Club is reported in the Register, 24 July 1880, page 6c.
    Also see South Australia - Sport - Cricket - Miscellany

    Football in Hindmarsh

    A meeting of the West Torrens Football Club is reported in the Express,
    4 March 1899, page 7f.
    "Football in the Streets" is in the Register,
    2 August 1907, page 4g,
    "The Football Fight" in the Express,
    10 August 1909, page 3h.
    "Football in the Streets" is in the Register, 2 August 1907, page 4g.
    "Football on the Cheap - Don't Look Over the Fence" is in the Register, 20 August 1908, page 6d.

    Also see South Australia - Sport - Football

    Other sports in Hindmarsh

    Information on a rifle company and a club, including photographs, is in the Express,
    12 July 1864, page 2b,
    6 July 1865, page 2c,
    20 October 1882, page 2e,
    8 July 1885, page 3g,
    Express,
    29 October 1886, page 2d,
    12 August 1887, page 3g,
    21 September 1892, page 3e,
    Chronicle,
    19 March 1904, page 42.
    Also see South Australia - Sport - Rifle Shooting

    A horse race meeting is reported in the Register,
    28 December 1866, page 2h,
    Observer,
    29 December 1866, page 4d.
    Also see South Australia - Sport - Horse Racing

    A meeting of the West Torrens Bicycle Club is reported in the Chronicle,
    1 November 1884, page 15b,
    Express,
    25 February 1897, page 7f.
    "Cycling at Hindmarsh" is in the Register, 17 December 1906, page 9c.
    Cycle racing on the oval is reported upon in the Register, 4 March 1912, page 9c.
    Also see South Australia - Sport - Cycling

    Information on a baseball team is in the Express,
    21 September 1891, page 4.
    Also see South Australia - Sport Baseball

    "Recreation Ground for Hindmarsh" is in the Register,
    17 February 1893, page 7e.
    "Lindsay Circus as an Oval" is in the Register,
    23 December 1902, page 4h.

    Information on Lindsay Circus is in the Register,
    19 May 1903, page 4h,
    24 November 1903, page 4f,
    8 and 22 December 1903, pages 4g and 5a,
    29 March 1904, page 4f,
    12 April 1904, page 4e,
    10 and 24 May 1904, pages 4f and 4e,
    13 September 1904, page 4f,
    25 October 1904, page 4g,
    12 November 1904, page 6h,
    14 January 1905, page 6e,
    20 February 1905, page 3e,
    Advertiser,
    11 April 1905, page 4d,
    Register,
    15 April 1907, page 4f,
    30 April 1909, page 3d,
    18 August 1909, page 4f,
    19 April 1910, page 6g,
    12 and 26 November 1912, pages 6e and 10g.
    Photographs are in the Chronicle,
    25 February 1905, page 26.

    "A New Use for Pugholes [small bore rifle shooting]" is in the Register,
    8 February 1904, page 4f,
    "Hindmarsh Pugholes" on
    25 February 1908, page 4g.

    Information on a bowling green is in the Register,
    2 May 1904, page 4i,
    8 June 1904, page 8b,
    Express,
    8 June 1904, page 4g,
    Observer,
    11 February 1905, page 23a.
    Photographs are in the Chronicle,
    11 February 1905, page 25,
    Observer,
    11 February 1905, page 23.
    "Bowls and Bias - Friction at Hindmarsh" is in the Register, 31 March 1914, page 9g.
    Also see South Australia - Sport - Bowling

    A meeting of the Hindmarsh Homing Club is reported in the Register, 22 August 1908, page 8f.
    Also see South Australia - Sport - Pigeon Racing and Shooting

    A photograph of a croquet club is in the Observer, 17 March 1928, page 38.

    Hindmarsh
    Henley Beach - Hindmarsh, River
    H
    Place Names

    Hindmarsh

    Tramway

    Also see Adelaide - Transport.

    The Adelaide and Hindmarsh Tramway Company

    The Adelaide and Hindmarsh Tramway Company was formed in April 1876 but an Act of Parliament to authorise the tramway was not assented to until 21 December 1877. The line was three miles and 43 chains in length and its terminus was on six acres of land close to the Port Road near the Hope Inn.

    The principle of construction of the line was a novel one in South Australia for the rails were laid on the top of longitudinal sleepers which were supported by transverse wooden sleepers. Experience showed that this system allowed the cars to run much more smoothly than on lines where the sleepers were laid on iron "chairs'. The work was carried out by Messrs Wright & Reed, engineers and architects and Mr Michael Daly was the contractor.

    The line was opened by Governor Jervois on Saturday, 23 October 1880 proceedings commencing at two o'clock when five cars were drawn up in Hindley Street. "The journey down to the Hindmarsh end of the line was accomplished without any mistakes" while "bunting and evergreens were displayed profusely at several points and a considerable number of inhabitants came out to see the proceedings."

    In February 1881 the directors received two different suggestions to extend the line. One was to run it to New Thebarton and the other to extend it to Kirkcaldy Beach. The directors were attracted to the former which proposed the line running for an additional one mile and fourteen chains to section 94; further, an offer from interested parties to take up shares sufficient to furnish the cost was an added attraction.

    At a meeting of shareholders in May 1881 the directors informed the meeting that both these proposed extensions would be of great advantage to the public and explained the envisaged routes for which a Bill was being prepared for introduction into parliament where authority was sought to extend "Tramway no. 1 line to New Thebarton, Henley Beach and via Seaview Road to the junction of Tramway Line no. 6 at the Grange."

    While negotiations were pending a letter was received from Mr David Murray applying on behalf of the Grange proprietors for 2,000 shares in consideration of the Company's tramlines being extended from Hindmarsh via Kirkcaldy Beach Road to the Grange.

    The directors decided not to construct the latter work which prompted a series of trouble with Mr Arthur Harvey and other Grange land proprietors until, finally, litigation favoured the company. Legislative sanction was then obtained on 18 November 1881 to permit the company to lay down lines from Mile End, along the Henley Beach Road to the seashore and thence to the Grange.

    Delays in construction were experienced due to council intervention thus delaying the opening of the line until 13 February 1883 - closely associated with the tramway was the erection of a new jetty at Henley Beach the first pile being driven on the same day.

    The question of tramboys was the subject of debate in 1882 with a view to replacing them with male adults because experience on other lines had shown that to do so would increase weekly receipts. A shareholder put the view that he did not think it fair to place little boys in a position where the temptations were so great as almost to induce them to become systematic thieves. Further, they were unable to keep order in the cars in cases of drunkenness and use of obscene language.

    By 1886 the company was in financial trouble and went into voluntary liquidation prior to emerging in a reconstructed state. A few local felons rubbed some salt into its open wounds by breaking and entering the company's office at North Thebarton and decamping with 5 in cash and bundles of tickets!

    By the end of the 1880s the disadvantages of horse traction were apparent in that the fluctuation in the price of horse feed made all the difference between working tramways at a loss or a profit; further, it was very difficult to meet the extra pressure of holidays and special occasions without overtaxing the horses.

    Accordingly, trials of an electric car were undertaken in January 1889. "The absence of any mechanism with the exception of a strong chain-belt connecting the motor directly with the axles of the car was a feature; there were no pistons, cranks, levers, or other work of a delicate or complicated character, such as used in steam motors, everything being plain and strong, suitable for running over the dusty streets of the city."

    The speed attained on the trial was 10 miles per hour and it was pointed out that by the time the car returned to the city and back to Thebarton the distance run with only one charge of the battery would be about fifty miles. The general conclusion was electric traction would soon supplant the "less satisfactory and more elaborate methods... now in operation."

    Complaints about service and fares were to the fore in mid-1889 some of which are analogous to events of the 1990s:

    By 1890 the company was making profits "in spite of the high price of fodder and the heavy expenses caused by the floods during the first three months." At a half-yearly meeting of shareholders Mr Nash, MP, requested that the directors take into consideration the possibility of shortening the hours of labour of the drivers and conductors. He said he had no wish to embarrass the directors "but he would like them to gratify the public appetite, which was now craving for a shortening of the hours of labour."

    He was also of the opinion that without increasing the company's "burden" the directors could show that they were "men of feeling". He believed the men worked 98 hours a week which appeared to be more than onerous and overdue for reform. Mr Buik, Chairman of Directors, claimed that the company was a considerate employer for it gave workers, magnanimously, a half-day holiday every week, a week's holiday every year and were paid an additional wage when extra cars were running.

    Further, he proudly announced that the average number of hours in a day's work, Sunday included, were eleven and a half, while the boys worked ten hours. He went on and said that no complaints had been forthcoming from the men and all expressed themselves satisfied - little wonder in view of the depressed state of the economy at the time coupled with rampant unemployment. Other shareholders, no doubt intent on maintaining profits and dividends, rose to the occasion and in pious tones testified that the men were content.

    The coming of the electric trams sounded the death knell of the company and in 1908 a newspaper report headed "More Tramway Funerals" appeared in the local press for, on 15 February 1907, it had gone into liquidation as a result of purchase by the South Australian Government.

    General Notes

    Information on the tramway to Adelaide is in the Register,
    29 July 1880, page 6b; also see
    24 August 1880, page 5b,
    25 October 1880, pages 4g and 6a (formal opening),
    1 February 1881 (supp.), page 1d,
    21 July 1881, page 5c,
    8 September 1881 (supp.), page 2f,
    1 August 1882 (supp.), page 1a,
    12 December 1882, page 5b.

    Also see Register, 1 and 15 February 1883, pages 1e (supp.), 1g (supp.),
    1 August 1883, page 7d,
    17 May 1884, page 7b,
    12 July 1884 (supp.), page 1f,
    1 August 1884, page 7c,
    20 and 30 January 1885, pages 5a and 6e,
    24 July 1885, page 5d,
    1 August 1885, page 7c,
    20 and 30 January 1886, pages 5a and 3f,
    27 March 1886, page 5d,
    31 July 1886, page 6g,
    28 August 1886, page 6h,
    9 October 1886, page 7g,
    12 and 18 November 1886, pages 7b and 5b.

    A presentation to James Shearing is reported in the Register, 11 February 1885, page 5d.

    Also see Register,
    1 February 1887, page 6f,
    30 July 1887, page 6f,
    1 February 1888, page 7g,
    1 August 1888, page 6h,
    25 January 1889, page 5d,
    1 February 1889, page 6h,
    15, 28, 29, 30 and 31 May 1889, pages 5b-6e, 6a-7h, 6e, 7c and 7e,
    4 June 1889, page 7h,
    24 July 1889, page 5b,
    1 August 1889, page 6h,
    30 January 1890, page 5b,
    1 February 1890, page 6e,
    24 July 1890, page 5a.

    Also see Register,
    31 January 1891, page 7g,
    29 July 1893, page 7g,
    1 February 1894, page 7g,
    1 August 1895, page 3h,
    30 January 1902, page 3e,
    28 November 1906, page 11a,
    2 June 1908, page 10h,
    13 May 1914, page 8f,
    29 August 1922, page 7e,
    15 January 1923, page 6f.

    "Tramway Routes and Overloading" is in the Register,
    9 April 1907, page 6d,
    "The Tramways" on
    7 May 1907, page 9c.

    Photographs of the opening of the tramway are in the Chronicle, 19 March 1910, page 29.

    A new tramway bridge across the River Torrens is described in the Register, 28 November 1908, page 6h.

    "Electric Cars for Hindmarsh" is in the Register, 6 February 1909, page 8f.

    Hindmarsh
    Henley Beach - Hindmarsh, River
    H