Place Names of South Australia - B
Bryan, Mount - Buckland Park
For its origin see 'Bryan Creek'. Governor Gawler bestowed the name on 12 December 1839 prior to Henry Bryan's disappearance.
"How Mt Bryan Was Named" is in the Register,
29 December 1902, page 5f.
An alleged gold discovery by William Dare and his denial of same is reported in the Register,
3 March 1871, page 5d.
"Mild Gold Rush" is in the Register,
23 and 24 July 1929, pages 2a and 3a,
27 July 1929, page 43a.
Also see Place Names - Ulooloo.
The laying of the foundation stone of a Bible Christian Chapel at Mount Bryan Flat is reported in the Observer,
27 May 1871, page 7;
for its opening see the Express,
25 August 1871, page 2c.
Its school opened in 1873;
Mount Bryan East School opened in 1882 and closed in 1947;
Mount Bryan Flat School existed from 1872 until 1873. See
1 September 1882, page 6d,
25 November 1882, page 5b,
18 August 1883, page 6d,
6 May 1885, page 7a,
2 September 1882, page 22b,
9 May 1885, page 7e.
An Arbor Day is reported in the Chronicle,
14 August 1897, page 14d;
photographs are in the Chronicle,
31 August 1912, page 29.
Also see South Australia - Education - Arbor Days.
"The Rabbit Nuisance" is in the Observer,
25 May 1878, page 3d,
14 September 1878, page 7c:
A meeting was held in 1878 with a view to forming a company for the preserving of rabbits and later, the committee comprised Messrs W. Gilbert, J. Warwick, G. Harry, W. Watts, W. Cockrum, J. Craig, W.R. Ridgway, W. Tralaggan, James Thomas and James Waters...
The town is described in the Register,
29 October 1885, page 7a,
24 September 1904, page 8c; also see
16 June 1910, page 5g and
2 October 1913, page 7c.
A snow fall is reported in the Chronicle,
3 August 1901, page 33e.
A sports day is reported in the Register,
3 March 1905, page 6d.
A photograph of Miss Alice Collins, a prize winner at a rifle shooting contest,
is in the Chronicle,
31 August 1907, page 27.
Also see South Australia - Sport - Rifle Shooting.
Biographical details of Thomas Weeks are in the Register,
9 December 1909, page 7c,
of George H. Wilkins on 5 March 1917, page 7a.
The opening of a public hall is reported in the Observer,
5 March 1910, page 16c.
The district is described in the Register, 16 June 1910, page 5g.
The laying of the foundation stone of the Soldiers' Memorial is reported in the
23 July 1921, page 12c.
Also see South Australia - World War I - Memorials to the Fallen.
A photograph of the Mount Bryan East cricket team is in the Chronicle,
18 June 1936, page 32.
Mount Bryan - Obituaries
An obituary of John Hatherly is in the Observer,
20 March 1915, page 40a,
of William Cockrum on 19 March 1921, page 31a.
An obituary of L.H. Smelt is in the Register,
25 October 1919, page 8h,
of G.H. Schoenberg on 18 October 1922, page 6i,
of Mrs Christina Wilks on 17 December 1926, page 10f.
Named after the Duke of Buccleuch.
The school opened in 1921 and closed in 1942.
A photograph of boring for water on Mr A. Mathinson's property is in the
16 April 1927, page 39.
Also see South Australia - Northern Lands Development and Allied Matters - Water, Artesian Wells and Springs.
During the European revolution of 1848 the brothers Richard and Otto von Schomburgk took part in projects of the Liberals and, when the reactionary waves swept over Germany, they were on the black list. Through the intervention of their exalted friend, Baron von Humboldt, they escaped from the resentment of the king and his reactionary advisers. The two brothers received generous aid, in money, from the German geologist, Leopold von Buch, and they fled from their native land and embarked for Australia. They landed at Adelaide and purchased land at Gawler River and made a farm and a large vineyard which they called Buchfelde in honour of their generous friend and benefactor. The vineyard was of five acres, on a bank of the Gawler River, and produced red wine from the mataro and white wine from madeira and verdelho, both of which were considered excellent wines. Dr von Schomburgk also introduced the sultana grape to South Australia.
The wines continued to enjoy a splendid reputation in South Australia but, after ten years in the colony, Otto died. Richard then managed the vineyard alone. He later became the curator of the Gawler Museum and in 1865 was appointed to the directorship of the Botanic Garden. Pursuant to Section 2 of the Nomenclature Act, 1917, the name of Buchfelde, located on section 44 in the Hundred of Mudla Wirra, was altered to 'Loos'. Initially the name 'Matturi' (Aboriginal for 'liberality') was intended, but this was altered to 'Loos' which is a locality in France, the scene of battles in World War I.
The Register of 17 December 1850, page 2e says:
The German Company has purchased a section about four miles from Gawler Town on the Gawler River, which it is proposed to lay out as a township to be called Buchfelde, after a celebrated professor of that name. A subscription has been raised among several German families in the neighbourhood for the erection of a church and school and application has been made to the government for a grant in aid.
See Government Gazette, 19 April 1852, page 509 for reference to the school.
Near Lake Perrigundi in the Far North-East named by John McKinlay on 18 October 1861. Alexander Buchanan (1810-1865), the manager of Anlaby Station near Kapunda. He overlanded sheep from Sydney for Mr F.H. Dutton of Anlaby.
Alexander Buchanan's obituary is in the Register of
22 May 1865, page 2f;
a report of his funeral in the Express,
25 May 1865, page 2c:
In early life Alexander Buchanan entered a merchant's office and lived for several years in the West Indies. Later, he emigrated to New South Wales and made the acquaintance of Mr. F.H. Dutton whom he accompanied overland with stock in the 1840s and until his death in 1865 remained in Mr.
Dutton's service. He had the rare art of attaching to himself faithful servants by his kindly disposition and liberal character, for few of them ever quitted his employment...
An article about his diary of an overland trip from the east coast of Australia is in the Observer, 7 March 1925, page 17e.
An unofficial name given to the property on which the Port Adelaide Football Club played its first match in 1870.
Biographical details of Robert Buck who "helped to carry ashore at Rapid Bay, Mrs Hoare, mother of the first child born in the colony, John Rapid Light Hoare...", are in the Register,
29 January 1883, page 5b:
Mr. Robert Buck and his father, the late Captain Buck of Port Adelaide, came out with Colonel Light in the Rapid. In December 1839 Robert Buck's mother arrived bringing with her the remainder of the family - two sons and two daughters....
The claim as to "the first born child" is not correct - see Adelaide - Early Births.
An obituary of his son, Robert, is in the Register,
17 July 1895, page 5b,
17 July 1895, page 6h,
of H.W. Buck in the Observer,
21 July 1900, page 22e and
of Mrs Mary P. Smith (nee Buck) on
10 August 1918, page 19a.
"Public Cemetery for the District" is in the Register,
20 April 1874, page 5c.
A post office opened in April 1882 by David Jones the selector of sections 260 and 279, Hundred of Wirrega following the resumption of the Wirrega Station; he and his wife, Mary, arrived in South Australia from Buckinghamshire, England in 1850. He named his new farm 'Buckingham' taken from his home county. Mr Jones gave one acre of land across the road from his home on the southern side of section 260 for a church in which the Buckingham School opened on 16 February 1885.
An obituary of Mrs David Jones is in the
8 September 1906, page 38d,
Register, 6 September 1906, page 4h:
Mrs David Jones arrived with her husband in 1850 and was a pioneer in the early settlement of farmers, first at Mount Barker, afterwards on the River Bremer and then in 1872 when they removed to Buckingham and succeeded in getting a new hundred [sic] named after the old shire in England, whence they came.
The Buckingham Post Office closed on 28 February 1906.
An obituary of David Stoddart is in the Observer,
15 October 1927, page 48b.
A subdivision of section 49 and others, Hundreds of Port Gawler and Port Adelaide. It derives its name from a property in the area established by Messrs William Allen and John Ellis and named by subsequent owners, J.H. and W.J. Browne, after some previous English associations in Devon. Dr W.J. Browne's obituary is in the Register, 7 December 1894, page 5c where his Devonshire property is shown as 'Buckland Filleigh'.
Mr C.B. Fisher's stud is described in the Register,
19 August 1873, page 6c.
The school closed in 1944; until 1925 it was known as "Port Gawler".
"A Trip to Buckland Park" is in the Register,
11 September 1882, page 6d and
a coursing meeting on
14 and 15 May 1885, pages 7d and 7a; also see
22 May 1886, page 7a,
"Beautiful Buckland Park" on
21 October 1925, page 10c.
"A Day Among the Hares" is in the Express,
1 June 1887, page 7f.
A field naturalists' excursion is reported in the Register,
20 September 1887, page 7e.
Dr W.J. Browne's obituary is in the Register, 7 December 1894, page 5c where his Devonshire property is shown as "Buckland Filleigh".
Information on his will is in the Observer,
4 May 1895, page 30e.
A royal visit is reported in the Chronicle, 20 July 1901, page 28e:
A little relaxation was offered to the Royal visitors on Friday in the shape of a shooting excursion to Buckland Park. At Salisbury the Duke stepped from the train in shooting costume, consisting of a rough grey knickerbocker suit, with light gaiters, stout boots and a grey pine hat, with dark band... He drove off amid the cheers of several hundreds who lined the road and the waving of Union Jacks by the school children. A guard of honour consisting of 12 men of the Mounted Rifles under Lieutenant Connor accompanied him and four troopers under Sergeant Kelly cleared the way...
Irrigation experiments are discussed in the Chronicle,
18 April 1903, page 35d:
There is certainly no shortage of artesian water on these lowlands. Patient and persistent boring is all that is necessary... Three bores have already been sunk on the estate...
Successful drilling for artesian water is reported in the Register,
4 July 1903, page 6f,
17 and 24 October 1903, pages 39a and 38a; also see
7 and 12 October 1905, pages 10d and 7b and
19 October 1905, page 9i.
Also see South Australia - Northern Lands Development and Allied Matters - Water, Artesian Wells and Springs.
A history of the property is in the Register,
10 and 17 October 1903, pages 8a and 4c;
it says, inter alia, "according to an old SA gazetteer it derives its name from a small agricultural settlement named Buckland in the County of Gawler" which, if correct, probably takes us back to Dr W.J. Browne.
"Buckland Park and Its Possibilities" is in the Advertiser,
5 October 1905, page 6h;
its sale is reported on
25 May 1910, page 8d.
7 and 21 October 1905, pages 31-43 and 38b,
12 October 1905, page 7b.
"Sale of Buckland Park" is in the Register,
25 May 1910, page 4f.
"Among the Birds at Buckland Park" is in the Register,
1 December 1917, page 6g.
Also see South Australia - Flora and Fauna - Birds.
"Buckland Park Leases" is in the Advertiser,
6 May 1926, page 19f,
"Model Buckland Park" in The News,
11 September 1928, page 20e.
Photographs of field shooters are in the Observer,
28 November 1925, page 33,
of a fox hunt in the Chronicle,
12 June 1930, page 38,
of shearing in the Observer,
9 October 1930, page 31.