Checklist for public library staff to help customer research queries
Have you ... ?
- Printed a copy of the request for your records.
- Included your staff member's name (or alternative staff member if you are part-time).
- Included your staff member's phone number.
- Included the customer's name.
- Included the customer's phone number or other contact option.
Did you include ... ?
- An indication of the level/complexity of information required, eg. primary school, family historian, local business, serious hobbyist.
- Any relevant dates, eg when the event occurred, information on the topic within a range of years.
- The brief context of the request, eg background information supplied by the customer.
- Purpose of the request, just some indication if the customer offers this.
Tell us about ... ?
- The information you have already located and given the customer.
- Sources you have already checked, e.g. Public Libraries catalogue, State Library catalogue, internet, specific websites, Libraries Australia. Which search words did you use?
- Referrals you have given the customer, e.g. to a government department or community agency or a local expert.
- Information the customer has already located.